homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: This is the thread where we talk about Old Testament genocide. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: This is the thread where we talk about Old Testament genocide.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What exactly is a psyduck?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Behold Psyduck.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it....

quote:
While lulling its enemies with its vacant look, this wily Pokémon use psychokinetic powers.
I am always a little leary of people who know words like "psychokinetic" but can't conjugate simple verbs like "use". [Paranoid]

--------------------

ONUnicorn
Shipmate
# 7331

- Posted      Profile for ONUnicorn   Email ONUnicorn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, come on...

nobdy crs bout stff like verbs 'n nouns n stuff no more.

(Just look at a nice professional website like CNN.com and count the grammatical errors... its scary how far into professional writing the neglect of grammar has gone... especially the misuse of the apostrophe and the wrong form of "their".)

[ 07. July 2004, 20:47: Message edited by: ONUnicorn ]

--------------------
"A pig's snout is NOT an electrical outlet."

Posts: 637 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
but can't conjugate simple verbs like "use". [Paranoid]

Or spell words like "leery."

I'm pretty sure this is why God smote so many people in the Old Testament. [Disappointed] [Ultra confused] [Disappointed] [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting a headache...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Or spell words like "leery."

My dictionary says both spellings are acceptable.

[ 07. July 2004, 21:14: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

OK. No smiting then. [Cool] [Angel] [Cool]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Whew.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

C'mon guys, let's get our act together - or a host will come along and we'll be a Heaven thread on genocide... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Can we just pretend this page never happened?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Why? It's a work of art!

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
I don't see the difference between this statement and the statement that fundamentally the only thing wrong with the Holocaust was that God didn't order it, and that if God had ordered it it would have been in general principle morally unexceptionable.

The evil of the Holocaust was one person or group of people taking it upon themselves to decide that another group of people should no longer be allowed to live. They had no right to do this. In essence it was Adam and Eve's sin gone mad - wanting to be like God, by the destruction of others.
"If God had ordered it" is I am afraid, not a category I can think in.
Nevertheless, I make my point I made earlier - God does, at the very least allow, if not cause, the deaths of millions every day. Even as the world is! I do not believe that makes him evil, although for a person to do so would be.
To me, it seems, again as I have said before, the discussion hinges around the view or lack of view of God's "otherness" from us.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

We apologise for the break in transmission, and return you to your scheduled programme...

Leprechaun:
quote:
"If God had ordered it" is I am afraid, not a category I can think in.

But isn't that precisely what it means to say that the genocides of the OT were God's will? He wanted them done, said so, and his instructions were carried out?

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is of course also the question of when God, being the same God who has revealed himself to us in Jesus Christ, would order genocide.

I hope we can agree that if Jesus is as recorded in the Bible, that he believed in the truth of the stories in Joshua enough to be more than willing to sing all the Psalms about it.

But we also know that God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love and faithfulness. So for him to order genocide (which is perfectly within his rights) would take a pretty extreme situation.

SO I guess the answer to your question is that if God had directly ordered the Holocaust, the situation beforehand would have been so completely different that it would of necessity have been a very different event.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can we just pretend this page never happened?
Yes please. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Tortuf,
Purgatory Host

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:

Nevertheless, I make my point I made earlier - God does, at the very least allow, if not cause, the deaths of millions every day. Even as the world is! I do not believe that makes him evil, although for a person to do so would be.

But "allowing" death is a million miles away from actually ordering genocide. This is just a ludicrous category error.

Does not the commandment say "thou shalt not murder"? It doesn't say murder is OK if I say so.

Can anyone give a biblical reference where God unequivocally demands genocide? I remain to be convinced that such an order ever existed.

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Custard 123
quote:
So for him to order genocide (which is perfectly within his rights) would take a pretty extreme situation.
How can it be within anyone's "rights" to do something which is utterly immoral? The real - and appalling - problem for me is that the assumption that underlies so much of the opposition is that genocide isn't intrinsically immoral, it's just contingently wrong because God arbitrarily tells us not to do it. Once again, we find a God whose only attribute is sovereign power.

My position is that God, revealed in Jesus Christ couldn't possibly order or sanction genocide, and the bits of the OT that seem to record that he does are in fact records of wrong time-conditioned beliefs about God. And furthermore, the disposition to entertain these bits of the OT as somehow binding on us as Christians is a symptom of a deeply faulty theology of revelation.

What have we come to, when we can sustain a debate as to whether genocide is OK or not? But this is purgatory, so debate on...

--------------------

hermit
Shipmate
# 1803

- Posted      Profile for hermit   Email hermit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I hate it when this happens. I go away for half a day and you've all grown into this monstrous thread .... the worst part is knowing I have to read all of it and compose a post which will be forgotten in a few days. Well, let me try to get a few bits and pieces done.
quote:
Can someone please explain to me how we've got from genocide to hell?The original poster said he was disturbed about the Old Testament passages that seemed to give the impression that God condoned, and even recommended, genocide and now people are talking about hell. I think there is a lot of confusion going on here.
The idea is not just that there was genocide, but that genocide is always horrible and no God associated with gentle Jesus could ever order it done. My point in bringing up Christ's words on hell, was that he was talking about God (presumably himself) doing something far worse than a genocide, and that was to send people to a place he implied was endless torment. After all, the pain of being killed in a genocide can only last so long. So I see the gentleness, meekness and compassion of Jesus as part of his person ... not all of it, the harsher aspects deferred until the second coming .... in addition to the words about hell there was the whipping of moneylenders, the cursing of the fig tree, and the command to purchase swords later on. Ominous.
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Little Weed:
Can you imagine Christ ever urging the chosen people to kill their enemies? Have we misunderstood his message so badly?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd really appreciate an answer on this one from the conservative evangelical team.

Well, the following conservative writer seemed to imagine just that: Revelation 12:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter."
quote:
An, equally possible, interpretation, is that the story shows the terrible consequences of the abuse of spiritual power, in this case by Peter.
The passage seems to me to imply the Holy Spirit did the killing, as He was "tested". It says nothing about Peter cursing them, though he prophesied for Sapphira. And God killed them for something almost as trivial as stumbling while carrying the Ark of the Covenant. Human lives may not be as big a deal from God's viewpoint as from ours.
quote:
I disagree strongly with this 'he let you off first time but boy is he going to kick ass when he comes back' interpretation. Jesus is not the Terminator saying 'I'll be back'! Acts 1 says Jesus will return 'in the same way' or, in some translations, 'this same Jesus'.
Maybe I got the idea from Revelation.
quote:
And our hearing the voice of God in the comand to kill is something that we can only begin to get a grasp of theologically when we realize that we've successfully killed God for the same reasons.

YOU've killed God now? I thought it was Nietzsche who did that. At any rate for a killed Creator He seems to keep showing up among believers ... at least Psyduck and company have easier names to spell than the German guy.
quote:
Those massacred in the OT narratives tend to be of a different race, or if that is putting it too contentiously, a different nation or group. Those killed are not only the ones accused of unspecified wickedness but those who had no power in their societies and were, therefore, their victims - women, slaves, children and even livestock (IIRC)!
I believe the Amalekites were also Semites, and had been plaguing the Isrealites for centuries .... and were accused by God of several specified sins, Callan.
quote:
How do we know that the god who commanded the murder of non-Israelites in the OT is the same God of the NT?

Jesus affirmed the Torah ("the Law") and Prophets, which is part of our current OT.
quote:
What scares me most about this is the resonance it has with the arguments of Islamic fundamentalists. They argue that Islam is essentially peaceful but that there are some nations who are so evil and depraved that God wants to wipe them off the face of the earth. How do you argue against that if you hold that God did exactly the same thing not that long ago and what’s more Jesus will do even worse when he returns?
If you think you're going to convince fundamentalists with mere arguments .... lol.

It doesn't matter what the Koran says because it isn't true, wasn't spoken by God. If when I'd read it I had judged it to be the true word of God, I'd be smiting off the hands and heads of infidels even now as we speak, just as it commands. Follow the commands of God rather than worrying about how it might seem to this or that ethnicity or religious cult.

quote:
Hey! God! Is it so very bad for me to want my faith to make some sort of coherent sense?
I often wish for the same thing, and pray for it too, but it has become more important that it be true than that it makes sense. I've believed other religions in the past that made more sense but weren't true.
quote:
Surely you can't be saying that things are OK for God just because he says so, and for Jesus because he's God, but are not OK for us just because Jesus says so? Can you?

Surely you can't believe that a parent could scold a two year old child for playing with matches, and then turn around and play with those same matches? That seems rather hypocritical.

Haven't even made a dent in the threads, but I'm about done for now. Literally .... can't wait for the flames to start.

--------------------
"You called out loud and shattered my deafness. You were radiant and resplendent, you put to flight my blindness... You touched me, and I am set on fire to attain that peace which was yours." Confessions, St Augustine

Posts: 812 | From: Seattle | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spugmeistress
Shipmate
# 5795

- Posted      Profile for spugmeistress   Email spugmeistress   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jolly jape -
quote:
It is Peter's flawed judgement, his abuse of genuine spiritual power, that is higlighted by these events.
so you're saying that god allowed power coming from him (cos you say it was a result of genuine spiritual power) to kill two people as a result of a flawed human decision that he didnt really agree with? or are you saying peter killed them and then blamed it on god?

billfrid -
quote:
I still would like to know why the god of Israel in the OT is known to be the same God of the NT.
Who decided this?

Without being facetious - if it is the same God, is there any chance that God might order us to kill Muslims or Hindus next week?

I'm guessing Jesus did, he seemed to associate himself quite strongly with the OT prophecies and the characteristics of God taught in the OT scriptures, even going as far as quoting him in the I AM thing, claiming to be him, and yet still referring to his Father. If it *is* the same God though, there could be a chance he could do anything and whatever he liked. Although we would always have to question the source as we haven't had any revelations of biblical authority recently, and alot of people dont even seem to agree over what authority the revelation of the bible holds. Would it fit with his character in the context of our situation and how it may be similar or different to the context of God seemingly agreeing with it in Joshua and the context of Jesus being against it in Matthew? What were Gods motives in each case and do they still apply. From what I've already said way back on page one I'd say his motive for the events of Joshua doesn't apply any more, and since Jesus didnt even tell anyone to kill the Romans who were oppressing the nation of Israel, we wouldn't have much excuse to kill anyone either. So i don't think God could've ordered the Holocaust given the context and still be within his character. Whereas I've rationalised it enough to believe the OT ones were [Biased]

As for God being allowed to do things which we aren't allowed to do, Romans 12 tells us to not to exact revenge on people because it should be left up to God's wrath to dispense justice. Similarly as the anti-euthanasia/captital punishment argument goes, we are too flawed to decide when people should die, and shouldnt take another life in any way shape or form, but God is infinitely wise, plus he made us and decided we were all going to die sooner or later because of the fall, so he effectively is allowed to decide when someone dies? But then again, thats just what I think, some people might say that God doesnt decide when people die, sin and humanness and disease makes people die (which I would disagree with, but ppl are allowed their opinion) but that attitude would influence the whole argument either way.

Are things immoral because we decide them to be, or because we think God is morally perfect and what he does/says (in context of course) is moral? And then I spose there's all the questioning of whether God did do or say that actually, which is what this thread is mostly about. But I just wanted to throw the first question in.

luv, blessings & pikachu! rach =)

--------------------
spuggie (aka rach :)

Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

- Posted      Profile for Weed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The point being that God, being who is, is still good in applying a moral order to his creatures that does not apply to him. Who can deny that God, at best, allows death every day when he could stop it, when it would be (IMO) immoral for a person to do the same?

Well I can deny it. Death is an inherent part of the way the universe is created. The flower had to die to produce the fruit on the tree in the garden. If God intervened directly with the natural order to stop everyone and everything dying we wouldn’t have creation as it is. We’d have a God who had a toy earth moving toy people and animals around. Unnecessary death and suffering are on our conscience, not God's.

--------------------
Weed

Posts: 519 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck:

Are you saying that God is constrained by definitions of right and wrong created by his creatures?

Yes, you can say all that stuff about God's self-revelation being coherent with our understanding. But the fact of the matter is that the book of Joshua is part of the Scriptures which point to Christ, and Christ certainly seemed to believe them as historical.

To my mind, there are two key facts here

1) Because of the way I reject God, I deserve whatever nasty forms of judgement he sees fit to send on me. So did the Amorites, etc.

2) God as love does not preclude him from also being God as light, in whose presence we cannot stand except by the blood of Jesus.

Is it possible, from your point of view that God is love, not in the sense that uncritically accepts everyone but in the sense that offers to accept everyone, even a wretched sinner like me, despite what they are like, but that still leaves room for "Holy, Holy, Holy" and for "Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished"? Is that idea of God possible to you?

[I'm aware I am slightly misrepresenting you here, but it doesn't affect the sense of what I am asking.]

--------------------
blog

ChristinaMarie
Shipmate
# 1013

- Posted      Profile for ChristinaMarie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the 'genocide' passages are an aetiological explanation for why Israel and Judah were taken into captivity, tracing their idol worship to the failure of carrying out God's commands to kill everyone.

Christina

Posts: 2333 | From: Oldham | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

- Posted      Profile for Weed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hermit:
Originally posted by Little Weed:
Can you imagine Christ ever urging the chosen people to kill their enemies? Have we misunderstood his message so badly?

quote:
Well, the following conservative writer seemed to imagine just that: Revelation 12:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter."
So did St Paul get it wrong in 1 Corinthians 13? Love doesn’t triumph at the end of the film?

quote:
What scares me most about this is the resonance it has with the arguments of Islamic fundamentalists. They argue that Islam is essentially peaceful but that there are some nations who are so evil and depraved that God wants to wipe them off the face of the earth. How do you argue against that if you hold that God did exactly the same thing not that long ago and what’s more Jesus will do even worse when he returns?
quote:
If you think you're going to convince fundamentalists with mere arguments .... lol.
"By their fruits ye shall know them" and all that.

quote:
It doesn't matter what the Koran says because it isn't true, wasn't spoken by God. If when I'd read it I had judged it to be the true word of God, I'd be smiting off the hands and heads of infidels even now as we speak, just as it commands. Follow the commands of God rather than worrying about how it might seem to this or that ethnicity or religious cult.
So our God could tell people to kill the infidels, then he came to earth and told them not to, but he’ll come again and say killing’s back on as long as I do it. This bit is true. Have I got this right? But the other one true God of the Book tells Muslims to kill infidels but that’s wrong because it’s not true? Why not? According to you it is in God’s nature (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit) to commit genocide from time to time. I fail to see the distinction.

--------------------
Weed

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

spugmeistress:
quote:
Are things immoral because we decide them to be, or because we think God is morally perfect and what he does/says (in context of course) is moral?
If you're talking about a Christian moral understanding, I think you'd have to understand morality in terms of God's morally-perfect nature as revealed in Jesus Christ. But in Jesus Christ, as also in Scripture, God's nature is finally revealed as love. Why do we have such problems understanding God's revelation in Jesus Christ as reinterpreting, modifying, and in important respects superseding what was revealed over twelve hundred and fifty years to Israel? Especially when that itself is a Scriptural perspective?

Why are we afraid to be horrified by genocide? Why are we so scared to say straightforwardly that the (revealed) understanding of a God so loving that the measure of his involvemnet with the world is that he takes upon himself, and unmasks, all its violence and dies by crucifixion, is infinitely morally superior to the understanding of divinity that, so far from being revealed, was the common currency of tribal religion three millennia ago, which involves seeing innocent women and children - children, for God's sake! - as fully deserving extermination, and all for the glory of God?

(Sorry, spugmeistress, your quote was just the starting point for this. I'm certainly not aiming this post at you, or any individual!)

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spugmeistress, you wrote
quote:
so you're saying that god allowed power coming from him (cos you say it was a result of genuine spiritual power) to kill two people as a result of a flawed human decision that he didnt really agree with? or are you saying peter killed them and then blamed it on god?

Well, yes, I guess I am. After all, the church has a long tradition of abusing genuine spiritual power, and that abuse has not infrequently led to deaths occuring. Do we lay all these deaths, the cathars, protestant and catholic martyrs, European Jewry, at God's door? Why is Peter any different? Of course, I think Peter genunely thought that he was an instrument of God's retribution, but my point was that the scripture doesn't claim that this belief was true. It's not so much Peter blamed it on God - he clearly didn't regard the act as blameworthy, more that he claimed it for God. The writer of acts makes no such claim.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Matt Black:
quote:
Finally, consider that none deserve the mercy of God and God has no moral obligation to provide mercy or grace to any people. We all deserve death. It humbles me to consider God extended both mercy and grace to me in Jesus Christ.

So, that being said, only God can order genocide.

I'm sorry - I really can't believe that you are at ease saying this. I don't see the difference between this statement and the statement that fundamentally the only thing wrong with the Holocaust was that God didn't order it, and that if God had ordered it it would have been in general principle morally unexceptionable. I really don't want to believe that you think this, and I would be really grateful - and I'm not putting any sort of spin on this - if you could tell me how I am wrong in my take on what you're saying.
I can't really ad to what Lep or Custard have said about this, except that all I was referring to was the essence of starting point of the Gospel - namely that "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:21) and that "the wages of sin are death" - none of us deserve life was the point I was making; we like to think we do of course [Biased] .

Yours in Christ

Matt

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double post:
Spugmeistress, of course I believe the answer to your last rhetorical question
quote:
Are things immoral because we decide them to be, or because we think God is morally perfect and what he does/says (in context of course) is moral?
is the second of your propositions, that is, that is, that, to invert the statement, morality is, or should be, an expression in the world of the nature of God (and specifically the nature of Christ). It is for this reason that I cannot accept that what God declares is immoral for his creatures is in some way moral for Him. Quite apart from any other logical argument, Jesus commands us to be like him, who is like the Father. Aspiring to godly character is not hubris, it's obedience.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why are we so scared to say straightforwardly that the (revealed) understanding of a God so loving that the measure of his involvemnet with the world is that he takes upon himself, and unmasks, all its violence and dies by crucifixion, is infinitely morally superior to the understanding of divinity that, so far from being revealed, was the common currency of tribal religion three millennia ago, which involves seeing innocent women and children - children, for God's sake! - as fully deserving extermination, and all for the glory of God?

Why? Well because what you are saying is tantamnount to saying we need to chuck the OT out the window as far as a revelation of God is concerned. Indeed, your interpretation of Joshua seems to read "God ordered the extermination of the Amalekites" into "People exterminated each other because they were bad" - which is in fact the exact OPPOSITE of what the passage actually says. So if I'm "scared" (and I think, TBH, that's a pretty manipulative way of trying to take the courageous moral crusader role) its because your view involves taking a view of the OT that is not consonant with any view I find described by Jesus or the apostles.
I have more to say about this whole issue. But later.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I've already said that I don't want to chuck out the OT. I don't see how you can understand the NT without the OT. But I do think that you subordinate the NT to the OT, and in fact try to understand the OT without reference to the NT, and in stand-alone terms. You seem to be stuck with an understanding of the Bible that makes everything in it of equal significance. And because there's genocide in there, it has to be genocide in a "good" sense. God's genocide. So - that's OK then.

I completely agree that Jesus warns of the awful dangers of ultimate separation from God - but I can't see anything in the NT that suggests that he buys into the whole OT on the terms that a twenty-first century propositioalist and/or inerrantist does. Nor do I see anywhere that we're required, in order to accept the Christ, to accept that the extirpation of whole populations is sometimes OK.

And before anyone quotes it at me, let me run up the passage
quote:
Luke.13
[1]
There were some present at that very time who told him of the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

[2] And he answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered thus?
[3] I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.
[4] Or those eighteen upon whom the tower in Silo'am fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who dwelt in Jerusalem?
[5] I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."

What else is Jesus saying here than "Shit happens?" The opposition on this thread have been trying to convince the rest of us that God only does the genocide thing when it's richly deserved, wven by all those sinful little kids and perverted farm-animals. Jesus is saying here, quite explicitly, that that's not true.

--------------------

Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

quote:
Why are we afraid to be horrified by genocide? ... which involves seeing innocent women and children - children, for God's sake! - as fully deserving extermination, and all for the glory of God?

Not that long ago there was a very moving report on Radio 5 Live following a massacre in Uganda. I invite anyone who defends genocide as ever being God's will to listen to the interview with one of the young survivors. For anyone feeling particularly sensitive be warned, it haunted me for a long time.

It’s two clicks away and it is an audio file.

Go to the Radio 5 archive page and scroll down to News – Uganda Report – Andrew Harding’s moving interview with Innocent Odongo.

--------------------
Weed

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
Psyduck:

Are you saying that God is constrained by definitions of right and wrong created by his creatures?

No. But if I is to be called "Good", He is constrained against doing that which is intrinsically evil.

quote:
Yes, you can say all that stuff about God's self-revelation being coherent with our understanding. But the fact of the matter is that the book of Joshua is part of the Scriptures which point to Christ, and Christ certainly seemed to believe them as historical.

To my mind, there are two key facts here

1) Because of the way I reject God, I deserve whatever nasty forms of judgement he sees fit to send on me. So did the Amorites, etc.

I do not believe this is true. I'd go further - to suggest that the Amorites - even the Amorite babes in arms - deserved this is disgusting and monstrous. I'm not letting you anywhere near my child if you think they intrinsically deserve death. How the hell can you believe this?

quote:
(2) God as love does not preclude him from also being God as light, in whose presence we cannot stand except by the blood of Jesus.
It does preclude Him from being God the Sadistic Homicidal Maniac

quote:
Is it possible, from your point of view that God is love, not in the sense that uncritically accepts everyone but in the sense that offers to accept everyone, even a wretched sinner like me, despite what they are like, but that still leaves room for "Holy, Holy, Holy" and for "Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished"? Is that idea of God possible to you?

[I'm aware I am slightly misrepresenting you here, but it doesn't affect the sense of what I am asking.]

This goes well beyond "not leaving the guilty unpunished". It goes to slaughtering people wholesale. The fundamental problem is a theology that so screws up any normal sense of justice that the innocent child and the adult Ghandi are both seen as worthy of death. I can't possibly subscribe to that without a pre-frontal lobotomy.
Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure this will help, but..

First, should we not be careful about judging the moral behaviour of the past by the standards of today? Joshua's behaviour is unlikely to have been worse than anyone else's at the time (not that I am saying this is a good thing).

Second, the problem we face is how we deal with scripture if we find it morally repugnant. Personally I find David's behaviour a lot more sickening than Joshua's - yet he is the one who is held up as the great spiritual leader.

I once went to a series of bible studies on OT characters. I hold some responsibility for what happened, but the result was that I could not cope with the sugary sweet picture of Ruth, Moses and the others that was being projected. Soon after, I was reading a book, where we were encouraged to think about times in our lives where there was an 'exodus' someone who was like a 'pharoah', etc. Which has basically been already said, but it was helpful to me.

Anyway, the point is unless the scripture can we applied it is worthless. If our eyes and thoughts are distracted by the actions of the characters, are we also missing the message? Indeed, I do not remember being encouraged to emulate the actions of the OT characters but to admire their faith.

Third, and this is a weak point, we are not always told that God directly told the people to do the action. For example, it seems to me that God actually told Moses a relatively small amount of law and he then expanded and made the rest of it up. Ok I'm on shaky ground - I need to go and have a think about that one.

C

--------------------
arse

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Cheesy:
quote:
Third, and this is a weak point, we are not always told that God directly told the people to do the action.
No, this is not a weak point. I'v eactually been attacking (as Karl Popper recommends!) the strongest form of the argument, which is that the OT always unequivocally ascribes these things to the accurate understanding of the will of God. I think it's probably fair to say that that's the 'internal understanding' of the texts - though that's a most un-postmodern standpoint; I should be saying that there's "nothing outside the text"! But it seems to me that to read these texts as artefacts, as accurate time-conditioned perspectives on early-Israelite post-victory practices and how they were theologized, is to treat them much more seriously than simply to assume that because they are in the Bible they must be what God wanted at the time. That approach is entirely based on assumptions people have about what the Bible must be when they approach it - a reading-in rather than a reading-out.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Sorry, Cheesy, I hope it's clear that I am agreeing with much of what you say! I'm multi-tasking between service preparation and posting! Doesn't make for clarity! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

I think we can agree that Jesus used the Psalms in worship, probably in a liturgical sense. So lets think about the most liturgical Psalm of them all (Ps 136)...

quote:

1 Give thanks to the LORD , for he is good.
His love endures forever.

10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt
11 and brought Israel out from among them
12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm;

15 but swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea;

16 to him who led his people through the desert,
17 who struck down great kings,
18 and killed mighty kings-
19 Sihon king of the Amorites
20 and Og king of Bashan-
21 and gave their land as an inheritance,
22 an inheritance to his servant Israel;

26 Give thanks to the God of heaven.

Isn't it interesting that in this liturgy, which Jesus would have used, God's striking down of the firstborn of Egypt (including children), the killing of the kings and the confiscation of the land are all seen as loving acts?

quote:
quote:
[5] I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."
What else is Jesus saying here than "Shit happens?"
Well, actually he is saying that we will all perish unless we repent (and hence strongly implying that we all deserve to perish).

--------------------
blog

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
The evil of the Holocaust was one person or group of people taking it upon themselves to decide that another group of people should no longer be allowed to live. They had no right to do this. In essence it was Adam and Eve's sin gone mad - wanting to be like God, by the destruction of others.
What about the evil of the Holocaust being the destruction of human life which is intrinsically valuable - because human beings are created in the image of God, because Christ died to redeem them and because, through other human beings, we encounter Christ? Surely it was not merely God's sovereignty which was affronted at Auschwitz, but his justice and love.

I think the argument here is between two incommensurable views of God. The first sees the normative relationship between God and humanity as being one of violence. The fall has transformed the relationship between God and humanity into one of permanent and implacable hatred. God's inherent violence is discharged, as it were, through the cross rather as electrical energy is discharged through a lightning conductor making God reasonably safe for the elect, although those outside the charmed circle can expect a nasty shock (boom-boom!) in the afterlife or at the Parousia. God is incapable of entering into relationships except through violence.

The second view sees violence as being essentially evil. On this understanding the definitive revelation of God is in the person of Jesus Christ. This doesn't invalidate the previous revelation of God through the covenant with Israel but it relativises it. It becomes necessary to re-interpret the scriptures in the light of the life and teaching of our Lord. Non-violence, on this understanding, is not 'the way the Kingdom of God is advanced during the present age', in rather the way that the Communist Party between the wars allied with the Social Democrats but is something fundamental about God's nature and plan for humanity. Evil is defeated by love, the atonement is a work of reconciliation and forgiveness.

I think the second view is more coherent because, even if violence is justified in some instances, it is inherently separate from the good aims that justify it. A war to overthrow a tyrant may be a necessary pre-condition of establishing freedom and democracy, but I hope no-one here thinks that it is a sufficient condition. It is, in a sense, incidental to the main aim of establishing freedom just as beating a disobedient school boy bears no intrinsic relationship to the lesson one is trying to teach. Violence in human affairs is always, on some level, a sign of failure, the result of a breakdown in human relationships.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Callan - I think you're constructing a straw man here

Things you say I believe:
quote:
The fall has transformed the relationship between God and humanity into one of permanent and implacable hatred.
From our side, yes, unless we are regenerated by God's Spirit, because we cannot love God unless we have the Spirit. From God's side, no. There is a mixture of hatred (because of our sin) and love (because of God's grace) directed towards the same beings - a tension which a lot of the prophets spend a lot of time exploring. Hence the cross.

What I'm not meant to believe:
quote:

the definitive revelation of God is in the person of Jesus Christ. This doesn't invalidate the previous revelation of God through the covenant with Israel but it relativises it.

I agree.

quote:

It becomes necessary to re-interpret the scriptures in the light of the life and teaching of our Lord.

Only because they were wrongly interpreted in the first place. They were always all about Jesus. (Emmaus road, etc)

--------------------
blog

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Leprechaun:
quote:
Well, actually he is saying that we will all perish unless we repent.
Yes, of course. I don't dispute that. He's saying that to be in a broken relationship with God is not to have life, and ultimately, to perish.

quote:
(and hence strongly implying that we all deserve to perish)
Now this is the big question. What do you mean "deserve to perish"? I believe that you are saying that the Bible says only one thing here - that since we have no deserts before God, we can't expect anything from God, and anything we do get is sheer grace. I think that that's a total distortion of what Paul says about grace and righteousness. I think it's bad theology and bad exegesis, but I also believe that it becomes morally repugnant when it leads one to a position in which one can say of a chld killed in an earthly, historical act of genocide - "She deserved it!"

I suggest as a working hypothesis that you can only get to here from the Bible if you construct penal substitutionary atonement as a separate, extra-biblical piece of theology, and then cram all the different perspectives of the Bible into it. I think that this approach takes what Paul has to say about the righteousness of the Law and the righteousness of faith, and purees it all in a great big blender with genocidal texts from Joshua and Samuel, and some of Jesus' sayings, and makes them all say the same thing - which is a thing that none of them in isolation say.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Callan - [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
I've already said that I don't want to chuck out the OT. I don't see how you can understand the NT without the OT. But I do think that you subordinate the NT to the OT, and in fact try to understand the OT without reference to the NT, and in stand-alone terms. You seem to be stuck with an understanding of the Bible that makes everything in it of equal significance. And because there's genocide in there, it has to be genocide in a "good" sense. God's genocide. So - that's OK then.

I completely agree that Jesus warns of the awful dangers of ultimate separation from God - but I can't see anything in the NT that suggests that he buys into the whole OT on the terms that a twenty-first century propositioalist and/or inerrantist does.

I am afraid this does not wash with me. Any interpretation of the text, that basically says "this actually means the exact opposite of what it says" is more of a nonsense than saying God defines who is good and evil that we do not.
I know you don't want to throw the OT out, but the outcome of your view is that it doesn't say anything at all - because you read into it the opposite of the plain sense of the words.
No before you get all pomo on me, and say "there is no plain sense" I am agreed in most cases - but there is a plain sense in which God is described as ordering the massacres in Joshua - yet the lesson you draw from it is that people did it because they were evil. That's why I am (in your terms) scared of your interpretation - it makes a nonsense of the text.

And why do I have to prove that Jesus took the view of these texts that I take? You are the one who is claiming that Jesus launched a wholesale revision of the character of God as revealed in the OT which the Jewish community at his time viewed as a revelation of God. If Jesus wished to revolutionise these texts, he didn't do it very clearly - he didn't take them on, or challenge them - yet you are saying they are antithetical to the God he reveals.
I think the burden of proof lies on you as to why we should decry these texts as an epitome of evil, when Jesus never did any such thing.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Leprechaun:

And could you please attribute quotes to the right people.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the burden of proof lies on you as to why we should decry these texts as an epitome of evil, when Jesus never did any such thing.
Because marching into cities and butchering the entire population self evidently is an epitome of evil.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Leprechaun:
quote:
And why do I have to prove that Jesus took the view of these texts that I take?
Er... because this is Purgatory? Because I'm under no specific obligation to take your opinions as oracular? Because that's what we do when we debate? Because I think your interpretations are profoundly wrong?

quote:
You are the one who is claiming that Jesus launched a wholesale revision of the character of God as revealed in the OT which the Jewish community at his time viewed as a revelation of God.
Yeah - me and the Church! And the New Testament!

quote:
If Jesus wished to revolutionise these texts, he didn't do it very clearly - he didn't take them on, or challenge them - yet you are saying they are antithetical to the God he reveals.
"You have heard it said... but I say to you..." That pretty much modifies our relationship with the whole OT. The Parable of the Lost Sheep? The Parable of the Prodigal Son?"

And then again, his death on the cross. "Father forgive them..." You seem to confine what is revealed in Jesus to what he said - and to say that what he didn't say we can fill in from the OT. You forget about what he did, and what he was. And is...

quote:
OK. Listen up. The things that are in them are just plain evil. We have to wrestle with them because they are there. Wrestling with them means taking them seriously, not ditching them. Wrestling with them means asking what they mean, not just accepting what they say, then scattering a pile of Christian platitudes over them to the effect that Genocide is Really Horrible, and if God does it he must have a Really Good Reason™.

I recall the story of a Divinity lecturer who put to a class the question "Why is it wrong to kill children?" He was one of these guys who got quieter the angrier he was, and as the fumbling attempts to elaborate an answer got lamer and petered out, so he was getting quieter and madder.

Finally he is supposed to have interryupted the last,a nd lamest, account with an outburst which was quoted to me as "God damn it to hell, it's just WRONG!!!" Don't you see where we're coming from?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

But, don't you see, Psyduck, you're letting your fallible human sense of morality overtake your logical acceptance of God's Word on the matter?

[Biased]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

KLB -

Damn! Now I see the flaw in my thinking. The scales have fallebn from my eyes!

....where's that 'sackcloth and ashes smiley when you want it?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My position is that God, revealed in Jesus Christ couldn't possibly order or sanction genocide

But God as revealed in Jesus Christ created a world in which every living thing dies sooner or later. Most of them while very young, many of them very horribly.

Exactly why is it worse for God to ordain that all Canaanites die tomorrow than it is to ordain that all the Canaanites die over a period of threescore years and ten?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

For the same reason that it's wrong for me to kill my next door neighbour rather than to let him die when he dies.

--------------------

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

Of course I see where you are coming from!

But can't you see that saying "this is self evidently evil" is not enough? Quite apart from the fact that many people throughout history have not found it to be self evident, that it's as much a platitude as trusting that God has good reasons for doing things?

"You heard it was said God ordered the destruction of the Amorites, but I tell you it was not so?" Er..no, don't remember that.

I think Callan is right here. There are two basic philosophies.
One begins with repentance - I am willing to change my mind to think as God teaches no matter what. It depends on revelation, it believes in its own sinfulness, it realises it isn't really a very good arbiter of what is right and wrong.
The other begins with what is "self evident" and repents to that point. It is quite sure that it is quite a good arbiter of morality thank you very much. It, IMNSHO, is not repentance at all, as it doesn't actually involve changing one's mind about anything.

Now, before you get all Hellish, and tell me off for being moralistic, this is where it leads if you say "evil is self evident" - self becomes the arbiter of good and evil.
By all means, I can understand the argument based on Christ - although I think you'd have to adduce some better evidence than you have done that he doubted the truth of the OT - but if you make it in reference to self, then what you are saying is that we know better than God what is right and wrong. Which is a very scary prospect.

Shipmate
# 76

So if God decreed that, say, feeding children through bacon slicers was moral, you'd swallow your revulsion and accept it?

I'm off to become a buddhist.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016