homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: This is the thread where we talk about Old Testament genocide. (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: This is the thread where we talk about Old Testament genocide.
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Enders Shadow, you wrote
quote:
But the whole point of Jesus' warning about the fall of Jerusalem was that it was to be because the Jewish people had rejected Him at the time of his revelation to them. So the concept of 'collective punishment' extends into the NT.
Whilst you asked, Custard
quote:
JJ - how on earth did you read that into this verse?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[5] I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."

I don't think, ES, that is at all the natural meaning of the verse. What was it that the people had to repent of. Surely the natural meaning would be the belief that God has any intention of smiting the wicked, whether they be the victims of a building collapse or the Roman occupiers. This is not collective punishment by God for the rejection of Jesus, but the natural result of attempting to meet violence with violence.

I'm losing the plot here about what is being argued. So let me seperate 2 different things:

When Jesus is speaking in Luke 13, he is referring to the usual, run of the mill, events of life - where bad things happen to people. In that case, to my mind, the justice is that we all deserve it - because of our sin - but those specific people are not more evil than the ones who didn't catch it on that occaision.

Where he is referring to the fall of Jerusalem (e.g Mt 23) then this is as a result of the explicit judgement of God in response to a particular evil.

In both cases however the central justification is that all have sinned, so deserve such treatment.

But this is a different argument from whether God explicitly told Joshua to do it....

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by HangerQueen:
But the OT God and the NT God are the same God. If we stop believing that, we begin the slide into Gnosticism.

I agree. The OT God and the NT God are the same. But the NT God is a clearer and more accurate version, where as the OT God is a more clouded, mysterious, and symbolic version.

This is why Jesus said "You have heard it said by them of old time....but I say to you." He is refining the Old Testament explanations, but making it clear that this is the same God we are dealing with.

That makes sense. Progressive revelation, with Jesus being the ultimate revelation of God.

I agree we have to look at the OT in light of the NT. Doesn't make the book of Joshua any easier though.

Man, I had to type that 3 times before I removed all the spelling mistakes. Too much coffee....

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuggboat:
Without Christ he would look on even us as chaff to be burned.

You make it sound like God and Christ are in conflict. The classic falsehood: Christ saves and protects us from God.

A very odd concept.

I've seen that "good cop, bad cop" thing more times than I have cared to.
Spot on. At worst, it becomes a sort of internal conflict in the Trintiy whereby Jesus forces the Father's hand behind His back so He can't squash us whilst we sneak into heaven on a technicality.

Perhaps people need to read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" remembering that the Witch is not God.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Wait. Don't go!

I do think that this epistemological dilemma can be solved.

The key is to realize that the way that things appear, and the way that they actually are, are often two different things. <snip>

Fabulous post, Freddy. [Overused]
Unless I'm being dim, though, we still have the following problem.

On the one hand, we have "people like me" who say that God is a God who is always life-giving and who never condones murder or genocide. It was sinful human nature that caused even the faithful "writers" of the Old Testament to not understand this. However, Jesus showed and told us unequivocally that this was the case.

On the other hand, we have people who believe that "what God is really like" is inerrantly interpreted in biblical narrative; and if the bible says that God ordered peoples to be killed, then he did. It is only from our sinful human perspective that we want to "play God" and make the judgement that this act was sinful.

So I still don't see how we get out of the epistemological circle.

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Posts: 4152 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without wanting to enter Dead Horse territory, this debate is precisely what keeps me from being a fully fledged inerrantist. It seems to me that if I were to believe in a Bible with no error in what it affirms leaves me with a God who made an error.

The Canaanites were nasty work. They apparantly sacrificed their children to gods (which could be propaganda if Joshua is a purely human work.) But for God to remedy this situation by having the Israelites kill all of them, and all their children seems morally reprobate. "They kill some of their kids for other gods, so I'll get you to kill all of their children for me."

I think Joshua plain got it wrong. Or maybe it's a legend, using an extreme story to make a point about righteousness.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But if Jesus died for them but they are only able to be saved if they accept the offer of forgiveness, then God really has screwed them over. Because Joshua and his pals - God's people - don't turn up with an offer of forgiveness. They turn up with fire and the sword.

In that Arminian scenario the Canaanites don't have time to be saved. They just get killed before they have a chance to find out what all this God stuff is about.

Quite right. Of course, if you're a non-Universalist strict Calvinist (and I know you're not), then you have the even worse problem that God made them all just to torture them even if some of them were the pleasantest people alive - unless the victims of genocide are all elect, but they couldn't have been because they didn't know anything about God's promises.

Question - why is it a really bad thing (don't say "because God says so - I mean why does he say so?" to kill a baby if you're a strict Calvinist? Surely the answer is that that baby might not be one of the elect, so you take away the only happiness it will ever know.

Question - why is it a really bad thing to kill a baby if you're a strict Arminian? Surely the answer is that you take away the baby's chance to make the right choice.

Martin the Barthtard. I like it [Killing me]

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We would not have Jesus, beloved of all here, liberal, rationalist, fundamentalist, inerrantist - wherever we are on the Calvinist-Arminain spectrum - without Joshua (it's the same name of course). Without the Son having intervened ferociously, directly in the Bronze age as Israel's scorched earth general to create a milieu to be born in. To infer that He was 'growing up' with us as Mad Geo did, to rationalize away His ferocious anger, his jealousy, even as anthropomorphisms, to blame OURSELVES for being culturally inadequate interpreters of His revelation is to demean us and Him.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liberal rationalists always have a very uphill dialectical struggle. Their antithesis to squaring the circle of THE KILLER GOD OF THE OT vs. Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild is wrought, riven with a plethora of problems about the nature of God just as the conservative Biblical synthesis that reveals Him as both. More so I perceive.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
Question - why is it a really bad thing (don't say "because God says so - I mean why does he say so?" to kill a baby if you're a strict Calvinist? Surely the answer is that that baby might not be one of the elect, so you take away the only happiness it will ever know.

Not the answer I'd give (I'm a Christian who thinks that Calvin was generally right, but don't like being called a Calvinist). Also, the Bible does suggest different nastinesses of hell, based on opportunity (Mt 11:22), so you could argue that keeping them alive if they are not elect just makes things worse for them.

I'd say that it's because God tells us not to and because killing another on my authority is effectively saying that I am better than them.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't find it inherently wrong, then - just going beyond your authority?

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

- Posted      Profile for Seeker963   Author's homepage   Email Seeker963   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Liberal rationalists always have a very uphill dialectical struggle. Their antithesis to squaring the circle of THE KILLER GOD OF THE OT vs. Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild is wrought, riven with a plethora of problems about the nature of God just as the conservative Biblical synthesis that reveals Him as both. More so I perceive.

Sorry, are you saying that all liberal rationalists believe in "THE KILLER GOD OF THE OLD TESTAMENT and in Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild?"

And, just out of curiousity, do you think everyone to your theological left is a liberal rationalist or do you mean to pin-point a specific type amongst the many types of non-inerrantsts? I'm just asking because it feels to me that this is the second time you've raised this particular image - which I'd cosider to be a gross caricature (although I'm sure that we could find someone somewhere who believes it).

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard123:
Not the answer I'd give (I'm a Christian who thinks that Calvin was generally right, but don't like being called a Calvinist).

Sorry, you've lost me. Why not?

quote:
Also, the Bible does suggest different nastinesses of hell, based on opportunity (Mt 11:22), so you could argue that keeping them alive if they are not elect just makes things worse for them.
Riiiiiiight. So by this logic a good Calvinist should just kill everyone immediately, because if they're elect it gets them straight to heaven without having to go through all the potential suffering here on earth, and if they're not elect it makes for a less painful hell.

However, God's told us not to murder people, so according to the logic above, he's actually only keeping us all on earth so that the eventual end of the not-elect is worse.

I didn't post this to take the mickey. Please show me where I'm wrong. If I was a Calvinist I'd also be a Universalist.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Correct. Well, not just going beyond my authority, also going against God's.

Why do you think killing is wrong?

--------------------
blog

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
quote:
Not the answer I'd give (I'm a Christian who thinks that Calvin was generally right, but don't like being called a Calvinist).

Sorry, you've lost me. Why not?
Because I aim to follow Christ, not Calvin. Calvin is fallible, Christ isn't.

quote:
quote:
Also, the Bible does suggest different nastinesses of hell, based on opportunity (Mt 11:22), so you could argue that keeping them alive if they are not elect just makes things worse for them.
Riiiiiiight. So by this logic a good Calvinist should just kill everyone immediately, because if they're elect it gets them straight to heaven without having to go through all the potential suffering here on earth, and if they're not elect it makes for a less painful hell.

However, God's told us not to murder people, so according to the logic above, he's actually only keeping us all on earth so that the eventual end of the not-elect is worse.

He's keeping us all on earth so that the full number of the elect can be brought in / so that more people can have a chance to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9, et al)

[ 09. July 2004, 10:19: Message edited by: Custard123 ]

--------------------
blog

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I didn't post this to take the mickey. Please show me where I'm wrong. If I was a Calvinist I'd also be a Universalist.

I'm of the same view. And, ironically, it is actually my belief in free will that prevents me from believing in universal salvation (although I do believe in universal prevenient grace).

--------------------
"People waste so much of their lives on hate and fear." My friend JW-N: Chaplain and three-time cancer survivor. (Went to be with her Lord March 21, 2010. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.)

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
it reminds me of that horrid chorus "This is the day that the Lord has made"...

I once indavertantly taught this chorus to my cockatiel. He then proceeeded to sing it incessantly. When he was excited, he would stick on the loudest notes and repeat them over and over again.

We gave the bird away. [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The other point is of course that they were occupying the Holy Land, and defiling it with their idolatries.

No they weren't - it didn't become the Holy Land until the Holy (or chosen) People were in it. And we do not have a Holy Land today; we have (again) a holy people, 'of all tongues and nations', gathered around the anointed one.
To define the land as holy in perpetuity, is to feed the worst of Christian Zionism, and encourage a new genocide: that of the Palestinians (and worse, carried out by the very people who endured the Holocaust).
This is why I am deeply concerned about this issue: the moment we try to treat the OT genocides as in some way starightforwardly applicable to us today, we lay ourselves open to drawing some quite horrendous conclusions about the same dispute, between the same peoples, over the same land, which still continues. Please don't tell me you believe all the Palestinians should be driven out by today's Israelis. And please don't mention suicide bombs: the Israeli death toll over the last month was 19, the Palestinian was 111 (which included children, just as the Israeli one did).

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
He's keeping us all on earth so that the full number of the elect can be brought in / so that more people can have a chance to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9, et al)

Yes, I was hoping someone would use this proof-text.

I thought the point of Calvinism was that you don't actually have a chance? You either come to repentance or not, according to God's direct choice through nothing you can effect, made before creation.

So as I said, if I believed we have no free will that can affect our salvation, and God wants all to come to repentance (which is what 2 Peter actually says), I would be a Universalist.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
No they weren't - it didn't become the Holy Land until the Holy (or chosen) People were in it.

Not sure the land was ever holy. But it was promised to Abraham way back, and the Canaanites were defiling it with their idolatries.

quote:

And we do not have a Holy Land today; we have (again) a holy people, 'of all tongues and nations', gathered around the anointed one.
To define the land as holy in perpetuity, is to feed the worst of Christian Zionism, and encourage a new genocide: that of the Palestinians (and worse, carried out by the very people who endured the Holocaust).
This is why I am deeply concerned about this issue: the moment we try to treat the OT genocides as in some way starightforwardly applicable to us today, we lay ourselves open to drawing some quite horrendous conclusions about the same dispute, between the same peoples, over the same land, which still continues. Please don't tell me you believe all the Palestinians should be driven out by today's Israelis. And please don't mention suicide bombs: the Israeli death toll over the last month was 19, the Palestinian was 111 (which included children, just as the Israeli one did).

completely agree about the inapplicability of the "Holy Land" idea to Israel / Palestine today, though might disgress over politics there.

--------------------
blog

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

It violates the Golden Rule. Possibly that's just another way of saying "Goddammit, it's just WRONG!", but it'll do for me.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seeker963:
On the one hand, we have "people like me" who say that God is a God who is always life-giving and who never condones murder or genocide....
On the other hand, we have people who believe that "what God is really like" is inerrantly interpreted in biblical narrative;...

It gets us out of the circle because it assumes an inerrant Bible, revealed by God - AND - a God who is always life-giving and who never condones murder or genocide.

The key to getting out of the circle is to realize that the Biblical descriptions are sometimes simplified versions of how the event appeared - and how it would have appeared to you and me if we had been there. The Amorite kings attack and hailstones fall on them, the Egyptian king refuses to "let My people go" and plagues break out. Moses and Joshua speak with God, receive His commands and explanations and obey Him. The actual truth behind what really happened is much more complex.

For example. Do you really think that Moses spoke with God Himself? Is God Himself an individual with a white beard that would have had the kind of conversations Moses is recorded as having?

Both Moses and Abraham succesfully argued and bargained with God, if the text is to be accepted at face value. Would this have been the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit? Surely this is impossible. No one can speak with the Father, and I doubt that anyone would accept that the Son or the Holy Spirit would have said the kind of things that Jehovah is reported to have said.

A much better explanation is that in the Old Testament an angel or spirit spoke for Jehovah, appearing usually as the "Angel of Jehovah" or often simply as "Jehovah." Often both terms are used in the same story, as when the "three men" visit Abraham in Genesis 18. This angel or spirit presented himself as God, and gave commands that appeared to be from God Himself. This was permitted by God as a means of leading Israel, and preparing them for the Incarnation.

But what the angel or spirit said would not always literally have been the best thing, or in actual accord with the will of God. Instead, God permitted it, as He permits many things, for the sake of a greater good, according to the freedom of the people involved.

So Joshua was commanded to destroy everyone in Jericho and Ai, and he did. This was an evil act, not actually commanded by God Himself, but permitted by Him because it represented something very good, namely the destruction of evil. The biblical account, therefore, is about God's destruction of wickedness, and the promotion of peace on earth. The literal story, however, describes a much less happy event.

This may not be a satisfactory way of getting us out of the epistemological circle for everyone, but it works for me. The Bible is holy and true, revealed by God. But that God is love itself, and everything in the Bible is for the sake of the long run happiness and peace of the human race.

I guess the hardest part is accepting that any interpretation of biblical descriptions is justified. This may be a sticking point, but I think that if you can get past it you can reconcile these two epistemological camps.

God is good. The Bible is holy and true. A Christian must maintain both of these - in my opinion. [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because God says so. It's one of the ten commandments (the tired and inaccurate distinction between murder and kill is inadmissable).

[ 09. July 2004, 11:29: Message edited by: Sean D ]

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
The other point is of course that they were occupying the Holy Land, and defiling it with their idolatries.

No they weren't - it didn't become the Holy Land until the Holy (or chosen) People were in it. And we do not have a Holy Land today; we have (again) a holy people, 'of all tongues and nations', gathered around the anointed one.
Actually, I'm coming from a different perspective completely.

The land actually was holy, but it is not holy anymore. After the Incarnation everything changed.

The land was holy, according to my church, because this was where the people lived who are described as "Adam and Eve." It was therefore the site of the "Garden of Eden." This was not an actual garden, nor were Adam and Eve actual individuals. It was an era of the human race, very early in human history, known as the Golden Age. It was centered in the Levant and spread out from there.

The reason that this made the land holy was that these people were in close communion with angels, and the angels therefore became associated with the places in that land. The actual names themselves of those places were given from heaven. They are preserved in the Bible. This made the land holy because the angels were associated with the names and their meanings.

This is why it was so important for Israel to occupy that land, and for idolaters to be removed from it. This is what the symbolism is about.

All of the meanings, however, were about the work of salvation that the Christ would accomplish. When He came into the world and fulfilled the prophecies, the symbolism faded away and is no longer applicable. This is also why the ritual worship of the Old Testament, and all its arcane ritual laws, were abrogated when the Lord came.

So don't worry. I am not using this idea as a justification for anything current happening in Israel. As far as I am concerned there is no longer anything holy about it, other than the normal respect and reverence we give places because of their history.

Still, it was holy. This explains many things that happened there. [Angel]

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
quote:
On the one hand, we have "people like me" who say that God is a God who is always life-giving and who never condones murder or genocide....
On the other hand, we have people who believe that "what God is really like" is inerrantly interpreted in biblical narrative;...

It gets us out of the circle because it assumes an inerrant Bible, revealed by God - AND - a God who is always life-giving and who never condones murder or genocide.

The key to getting out of the circle is to realize that the Biblical descriptions are sometimes simplified versions of how the event appeared....

Freddy, sorry, this really doesn't do it for me. I think you and I mean very different things by "inerrant" and it actually appears that your methodology of interpreting the bible is more - I'm not sure what the word is - "free-flowing" than my own methodology. And I assure you that I qualify as a "liberal" in most circles I've been in.

What I mean by "inerrant" is basically imposing a concrete, modernist, possibly logical-positivist view on the bible. So, if the text says "God willed the XYZs to die", that's it, end of story, absolutely no room whatsoever for questioning. The bible says it; God willed it; I believe it; end of conversation. I don't see any way to posit a God who always condemns genocide other than to step out of that sort of hermeneutic. Which "stepping out of inerrancy" is the method I use and which is the method I think you also just used (although I don't agree with the specifics of what you said).

--------------------

Tuggboat
Shipmate
# 7001

- Posted      Profile for Tuggboat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible is what it is and says what it says. It Holy and His word. You can all go chuck it out the window if you want but your probably tossing out God with it.

Note the last verse:
Rom 2:11-16

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

13(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
KJV

--------------------
The wind blows, and restless are the sails;
Even the rudder begs direction;

Posts: 78 | From: Providence Forge, VA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Tuggboat. In making some completely unsubstantiated and wholly controversial assertions and in quoting a completely irrelevant passage of Scripture you have really helped to clarify matters and clear the whole mess up. Thanks for your contribution.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Bible is what it is and says what it says. It Holy and His word. You can all go chuck it out the window if you want but your probably tossing out God with it.

I was about to exercise my gift of prophecy and predict that TB would receive a not altogether friendly rejoinder to this remark.
And there it was fulfilled before I could even type it.

I am wonderful. [Cool]

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Freddy, sorry, this really doesn't do it for me. I think you and I mean very different things by "inerrant" and it actually appears that your methodology of interpreting the bible is more - I'm not sure what the word is - "free-flowing" than my own methodology.

I see what you mean. Then the only way to reconcile the passages is to posit that the Bible is not inerrant. This makes sense, but in my opinion it leaves a person more at sea than the method I described.
quote:

It is holy and the Word of God, but you need to have some way to reconcile its internal contradictions. Do you simply deny that these exist? Or are they just beyond human understanding?

--------------------

Weed
Shipmate
# 4402

- Posted      Profile for Weed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:

I don’t know whether I fall into the liberal rationalist camp because all I’m trying to do, believe it or not, is to understand the nature of God as revealed in the whole of the bible, but I take great exception to your caricature.

First, an unbelievable amount of damage has been done, in my view, by the phrase Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild. It’s a sentimental Victorian distortion and IMO should never be part of a Christian’s vocabulary. On a suggested religious advert recently, set against a close-up of a bloody, dirty, Jesus wearing a crown of thorns and the words “Gentle Jesus, meek and mild?” it said, “Yeah, right.”

Love is the toughest, hardest, strongest most durable thing in the world. It is pain and sacrifice and grief and agony but I have faith in the God finally revealed in Jesus which teaches me that love will always triumph over might. I have to read the OT in the light of that. I have no option.

Let’s look at Joshua again and assume that, for once, love was powerless and the best and most Godly option was violence. Where did it get the chosen people? If you turn the page from Joshua to Judges the answer is not very far at all. As Ken pointed out earlier, the people they fought weren’t actually wiped out so God apparently failed. And what’s more, a couple of generations further on and the chosen people are still worshipping foreign gods and losing battles. It’s a disaster.

Throughout history man has thought that just one more war will end all wars. One more exercise of military power and we will be free to live in peace. It doesn’t work. Killing not only causes pain, suffering and grief to the victim and their family, it brutalises us who kill. Look at the world. Isn’t it staring us in the face?

It’s a terrible irony that the very words written in the OT and attributed to God are stopping us accepting the true revelation of God. Of course Joshua said God told him to do all those things. It’s one of the chief characteristics of Judaism that it sets out rules for everything, absolutely everything, that a Jew does. It thoroughly integrates religion and every aspect of life. If you are doing what you believe is the right thing it must be God’s will.

Yet if we take it that this truly was the will of God, to see your enemies not as real people, not even as individuals, but a race totally apart from God and unredeemable by him because they weren’t the chosen people but collectively responsible because they were the enemy, all sorts of consequences result in the world today, as Esmerelda pointed out. It scares me witless.

And the result for me personally is that I am being told that love does not win. That God, and that means Jesus (althought the trinitarian nature of God has seemed to keep disappearing in this discussion at times), is nasty, racist, unpredictable and ultimately violent, that his love is ultimately limited. That sounds to me like human beings, not God.

--------------------
Weed

Posts: 519 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:

Now, that's what I was talking about. [Razz]

I think we're actually at risk of straying into dead horse territory here if we start debating inerrancy.

Can I just point out that I'm middle-aged and I've heard that "You're throwing the bible out the window and God with it" comment more times than I could count. Having grown up in an inerrant church, I've been publically rebuked in front of people I cared about and I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar or a pound for every time someone has said that to me. You may genuinely believe it's "throwing God out the window" but hurling insults at people isn't the best tactic if one is trying to make a case for one's own view. Thank you.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
quote:
Freddy, sorry, this really doesn't do it for me. I think you and I mean very different things by "inerrant" and it actually appears that your methodology of interpreting the bible is more - I'm not sure what the word is - "free-flowing" than my own methodology.

I see what you mean. Then the only way to reconcile the passages is to posit that the Bible is not inerrant. This makes sense, but in my opinion it leaves a person more at sea than the method I described.
We're possibly at risk of going off on a wild tangent - one of my favourite past-times - but I really don't follow you on this one. OK, look, I don't mean this as an insult, I honestly don't, but to me the interpretation you posited was a lot more "liberal", a lot more "non-inerrant" than my own. (Although I have to confess to having absolutely no knowledge of your tradition, which I suspect is inhibiting our communication here.) So it's hard to see where you're coming from. Would it be possible to try a different angle so I can see where you're coming from?

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Originally posted by Little Weed:
I don’t know whether I fall into the liberal rationalist camp because all I’m trying to do, believe it or not, is to understand the nature of God as revealed in the whole of the bible, but I take great exception to your caricature.

I don't think most non-inerrant Christians are liberal rationalists, although of course, there will be some people around who still are.

quote:
First, an unbelievable amount of damage has been done, in my view, by the phrase Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild. It’s a sentimental Victorian distortion and IMO should never be part of a Christian’s vocabulary. On a suggested religious advert recently, set against a close-up of a bloody, dirty, Jesus wearing a crown of thorns and the words “Gentle Jesus, meek and mild?” it said, “Yeah, right.”

Love is the toughest, hardest, strongest most durable thing in the world. It is pain and sacrifice and grief and agony but I have faith in the God finally revealed in Jesus which teaches me that love will always triumph over might. I have to read the OT in the light of that. I have no option.

Amen, preach it!

Tarnation, I am so tired of asking for the grace to love people who I'd rather not love only to have others imply that the only reason I believe in love and forgiveness is because I want an excuse for my failings and I don't want to try hard enough and don't want rules to follow. [Help]

[ 09. July 2004, 13:33: Message edited by: Seeker963 ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
OK, look, I don't mean this as an insult, I honestly don't, but to me the interpretation you posited was a lot more "liberal", a lot more "non-inerrant" than my own....Would it be possible to try a different angle so I can see where you're coming from?

That might be good, because I call my position "conservative" and "inerrant." [Biased]

I'm coming from the idea that the Bible is directly revealed by God and is the holy Word of God.

But, as I understand it, its holiness lies in a spiritual understanding of what it is really about, namely God's salvation of the human race, and the life of love and charity that each individual is called to live, refraining from evil and doing God's will.

This is therefore always the real topic, regardless of what the literal text appears to be about. The literal text is often a series of metaphors. The metaphors, however, do not mean that the literal text is inaccurate. These things really happened. It was important that they actually happen since the events themselves had incredibly powerful metaphoric or symbolic value. This power is why so many of the events are actual miracles. The miracles really happened.

I don't want to stray into dead horses territory here. The point of explaining this is to show that this makes it possible to reconcile a God of love with what God commanded Joshua to do.

This works in my tradition because there are good, biblically consistent, explanations of how the metaphors work and why they work that way. Without those explanations, however, I can see why you would call this a "liberal" or "non-inerrantist" explanation.

So the genocide was evil, but it symbolized something good, namely the destruction of evil. This is completely self-contradictory, but it is nevertheless how Christians have understood it from the very beginning. It is the basis of the common history that many religions have of wanting to "destroy the infidels."

A modern understanding, however, won't tolerate that contradiction - so it needs to be explained and reconciled. That's what this discussion is about. [Angel]

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:

But it doesn't, because the bible says, plain as day, that.... etc.

I hear the ghostly sound of a horse neighing, but you're actually saying that sometimes when the bible says God did something, what it actually means is something else. This is not inerrancy.

Denying inerrancy is not the same thing as denying the truth found in Scripture.

Ddraig
Shipmate
# 7572

- Posted      Profile for Ddraig   Email Ddraig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freddy, is there somewhere I can read more about this approach to the Bible? I think I get it, but I'm not sure.......

Liz

--------------------
Theism - A morbid condition characterized by headache, sleeplessness, and palpitation of the heart, caused by excessive tea-drinking. Oxford English Dictionary

Posts: 86 | From: Leeds | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
I'm coming from the idea that the Bible is directly revealed by God and is the holy Word of God.

But, as I understand it, its holiness lies in a spiritual understanding of what it is really about, namely God's salvation of the human race, and the life of love and charity that each individual is called to live, refraining from evil and doing God's will.

This is therefore always the real topic, regardless of what the literal text appears to be about.

Up until this point, methodologically, I'm in 100% agreement with you. And, personally, I don't think this is the way the word "inerrant" would be used by very conservative Protestants (IOW, the environment in which I grew up). You can call it "inerrant" if you like, but I just need to know what you mean by the word in contrast to what I mean by the word.

quote:
The literal text is often a series of metaphors. The metaphors, however, do not mean that the literal text is inaccurate. These things really happened. It was important that they actually happen since the events themselves had incredibly powerful metaphoric or symbolic value. This power is why so many of the events are actual miracles. The miracles really happened.
I don't really "get" your use of the concept of metaphor here. Let's take an example. Are you saying that, for example, the Exodus really happened but that it happened because God wanted the people of Israel to have a metaphor for "God brings his people out of slavery"?

I'd say something more like "God brought his people out of slavery and, in this act, Israel experienced God as a saviour." I'm wondering if we're actually saying the same thing (because I'd not use the word or concept of "metaphor")?

quote:
I don't want to stray into dead horses territory here. The point of explaining this is to show that this makes it possible to reconcile a God of love with what God commanded Joshua to do.
I believe it's possible to reconcile a God of love with what God commanded Joshua to do. I believe the Old Testament God and the New Testament God were the same God. I've said this before. I just don't think one can do it if one takes the proposition "If the text says it was God's will that a people died, then we know for certain it was God's will a people died."

quote:
This works in my tradition because there are good, biblically consistent, explanations of how the metaphors work and why they work that way.
Which only leaves me with the small problem that I have not got your tradition's texts, nor would I want to wholeheartedly adopt them. (No offence intended.)

quote:
So the genocide was evil, but it symbolized something good, namely the destruction of evil.
Ah, this is where I'd differ. I'd say that the genocide was simply wrong and it was a case of the victors writing history ("They must have been evil or our God would not have allowed us to annhilate them").

quote:
This is completely self-contradictory, but it is nevertheless how Christians have understood it from the very beginning. It is the basis of the common history that many religions have of wanting to "destroy the infidels."

A modern understanding, however, won't tolerate that contradiction - so it needs to be explained and reconciled. That's what this discussion is about. [Angel]

I'm actually very close to agreeing with you, but I don't quite, although we're coming from very similar positions.

I agree with you (if I'm interpreting you correctly) that the original narratives were not written by modernists. I agree that this is the problem with inerrantism - is that it assumes that the original writers understood life the universe and everything the way modernists do. However, I'm guessing (and I don't mean to tell you what you think, so please "push back") that a difference between you and me is that I'm actually trying to speak in modernist language because that is the language most of us still speak in - even if we claim to be post-modernists.

So, in modernist language, your methodology puts together two things that I would separate.
1) At an "objective" level - VERY modernist - I'd say "genocide is always wrong".
2) At a "devotional level", I'd say that we can certainly learn the lesson (amongst others) that "God ultimately destroys evil"
What I don't personally believe is that God ordered Israel to destroy an entire people for the sole purpose of giving us the metaphor "God hates evil".

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

quote:
Denying inerrancy is not the same thing as denying the truth found in Scripture.

Which is what how I'd put my position. I deny inerrancy, but I don't deny scripture's inspiration by the Holy Spirit.

I do think Freddy's meaning something more nuanced between the two things, though. I really do want to understand what he's thinking and I'd hate to get thrown into Dead Horse territory just because I'm trying to understand what he's saying.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Ddraig:
Freddy, is there somewhere I can read more about this approach to the Bible?

Here is a nice Australian site about this.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I don't really "get" your use of the concept of metaphor here. Let's take an example. Are you saying that, for example, the Exodus really happened but that it happened because God wanted the people of Israel to have a metaphor for "God brings his people out of slavery"?

I'd say something more like "God brought his people out of slavery and, in this act, Israel experienced God as a saviour." I'm wondering if we're actually saying the same thing (because I'd not use the word or concept of "metaphor")?

The way I would put it is that God works to lead everyone out of spiritual slavery. The exact way that He does this is spiritually illustrated by what happened to Israel in Egypt. Israel's liberation is therefore a metaphor for our own liberation, or for the liberation that Christ accomplished.

What that means so far as what actually happened to Israel is that spiritual forces worked to liberate Israel because of what this people symbolized. Therefore the Egyptians were struck with plagues - not by God, but because their opposition to Israel removed the angelic protections that people normally have.

Anyway, I do see that I mostly agree with you. Except where you say:
quote:
I'd say that the genocide was simply wrong and it was a case of the victors writing history ("They must have been evil or our God would not have allowed us to annhilate them").

While I agree that this was the victors writing history, I think that this writing was inspired by God to be written just as it was, and that it is a true description, at least from their point of view.

One reason that it needed to take this form was so that it would be freely accepted, loved, honored, and preserved as the Word of God. It is very curious that the people would have preserved such a "warts-and-all" account - but it was surely provided by God that it happen.

--------------------

Seeker963
Shipmate
# 2066

Freddy, I think I understand better what you're saying. For me, we're not really on the same page because I'd see your version as over-spiritualised in the same way that I see some of Augustine's interpretations (e.g. of the Good Samaritan) of the bible as being over-spiritualised.

I agree that there are a lot of metaphorical lessons we can learn from the bible, but I don't think that historical events happened for metaphorical purposes.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I agree that there are a lot of metaphorical lessons we can learn from the bible, but I don't think that historical events happened for metaphorical purposes.

I think your assessment of the way I see it is correct.

Just to be clear, I don't think that God caused the historical events to happen for metaphorical purposes. Rather, God worked with human freedom to bring something good out of the evil of the times.

This does mean that He guided events, but it does not mean that He in any way caused genocide. His whole purpose was to prevent genocide and guide the human race in such a way as to bring about long term peace. His overall methods are primarily to teach the truth, but they also include many other things that we call Divine Providence.

The clinker, of course, is human freedom. If this were not an issue none of this would have happened in the first place - as has been the subject of many threads.

--------------------

Tuggboat
Shipmate
# 7001

- Posted      Profile for Tuggboat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
Thanks Tuggboat. In making some completely unsubstantiated and wholly controversial assertions and in quoting a completely irrelevant passage of Scripture you have really helped to clarify matters and clear the whole mess up. Thanks for your contribution.

I of course didn't think it was irrelevant.
[Smile]
I substantiated my assertion with scripture.

As far as controversial goes, once I read it in scripture I quit arguing and put it to rest. What that scripture does for me is that it puts the whole problem of how will the unsaved (present, past, Jewish, gentile, elect and nonelect and whatever other execptions to God's judgement we conjure up including those with arguments against God's Word) be judged.

So whether we like it or not we will be judged. Now after we're judged I can't find where the wicked sinners will get a condo on the shore of the River of Life.

Perhaps it's in some man made sin inspired book but I steer away from more than a mere glossing over heresies. And that includes all books that lead me to believe its alright to sin. They are in error.

[ 09. July 2004, 17:46: Message edited by: Tuggboat ]

--------------------

Tuggboat
Shipmate
# 7001

I studied a piece on Jewish poetry. It was real interesting and one thing it gave me was the leniancy to take pieces of scripture in a looser sense than strictly literal. There are pieces of old Jewish poetry that somewhat soften my literalist viewpoint in Joshua.
Heres one:

Josh 10:12-13

12 On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel:

"O sun, stand still over Gibeon,
O moon, over the Valley of Aijalon."
13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on its enemies,

as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
(from New International Version)

In this translation it stands out by the quotes and indents.
Whenever I read poetry I allow myself to enjoy a broader view and understanding of the scripture.

As far as inerrancy I "do" believe it in its original texts was inerrant but our translations and recopying have introduced some error. Whenever something is repeated though thoughout the Bible I interpret my resistance to it as an opportunity to grow in understanding. Not proof that it is wrong.

I see this whole topic of whether God can be angry repeated dozens of times in the Old Testament. Something happened though. He forgave us. The Nt doesn't speak of his anger but his judgment still scares me into rightousness. Fear is the beginning of so much afterall. Just look in a concordance in Proverbs.

I would have posted some but I find all this resistance to the Bible quite puzzling on a religous site. The unsaved seem to have more reverence for it. They may yell and scream and fight but very few argue with it and its authority.
It often brings peace that there is some solid truth they can hold onto instead of all the unwieldy beliefs they have grasped and discarded over the years. Often it transforms where no argument can.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
quote:
quote:

It violates the Golden Rule. Possibly that's just another way of saying "Goddammit, it's just WRONG!", but it'll do for me.
So why do you believe the Golden Rule? I believe it because Jesus says so.

--------------------
blog

Shipmate
# 76

Custard - I know what you're trying to do. Back me into saying "because it seems right".

Okay then - "because it seems right".

You can call that as subjective as you like, but when I'm asked to see a genocide as right and just because God says it is, I feel very much like Winston in 1984:

quote:
"How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?"
"Four"
"And if the party says that it is not four but five - then how many?"
"Four"
The word ended with a gasp of pain
"You are a slow learner, Winston" said O'Brien gently.
"How can I help it?" he blubbered. "How can I help seeing what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."

That's how it makes me feel. Evil is evil. Any idiot can tell you that murder is evil. That genocide is evil. It doesn't need a God to tell you that, any more than you need a maths book to know that two and two are four. And it is just as barmy to try to persuade me otherwise.

[ 09. July 2004, 19:46: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

ONUnicorn
Shipmate
# 7331

- Posted      Profile for ONUnicorn   Email ONUnicorn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Yes, actually, it was entirely and unequivocally wrong. It's exactly the other way around. The contraction of it is, is it's, with apostrophe. Its without apostrophe is the genitive, meaning belonging to it. Common sense tells us that the apostrophe is used to indicate what is missed out, in this case the 'i' of 'is'.
Okay, maybe I wasn't clear in my retelling of the story...

Always before my Junior year of University, I had understood "it is" to be contracted as "it's". Then I took an English class with a professor who absolutely insisted that "it's" was wrong - whatever the context. He insisted "it is" should be shortened to "its" and would circle all instances of "it's" in bright red ink and take five points off for every instance of said usage. Other students pointed out that all accepted style manuals say "it's" is an accepted contraction for "it is" but it was his mission in life to stamp out "it's".

Said 30-page thesis was for a different teacher, but I was still in that mind set (still am to some extent... seeing as I had that prof for 2 writing-intensive classes).

At any rate, the point I was trying to make was not a grammatical one. God made, and is still making, this world. It is his work of art. Just as it is not immoral for me to smite the apostrophe in the paper I have written, so it is not immoral for God to smite people. On the other hand, when the paper alters itself (as often happens if one is using Microsoft Word) then it becomes something other then what I want, and I have every right to be mad at it. Likewise, when humans smite each other of their own will, it is wrong. Yet I can tell the computer to smite the apostrophe for me, and when it obeys me it is not wrong. Likewise, God can tell the Israelites to remove the Canaanite and, were they to obey him (which it is important to note that they didn’t ) it would not be wrong.

I think there are several different questions being asked here on this thread on Biblical genocide, and it gets confusing when everyone is taking a different approach to the topic.

1. Does the Bible say that God ordered what modern humans would consider genocide?

2. Did God order genocide?

3. If the Bible says that God ordered genocide, and God didn’t order genocide, then how can we believe the Bible?

4. If God did order genocide, then how does that mesh with the idea of a loving God?

5. Do we even need the Old Testament?
6. Are the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament the same?

7. What reasons would God have for ordering genocide in that specific historical instance?

8. If we believe that God did order genocide in that specific historical instance, how can we know he won’t do so again?

9. If God did order genocide, did he have the right to?

10. What is love?

11. Is “This is the day” a stupid song?

12. Why aren’t there any avatars of unicorns or psyducks?

And more... this list goes on and is endless. My point dealt with questions 7 and 9. I haven’t even touched on most of the other questions (#12 was added as a joke, as was #11... but I have touched on 12).

There’s more I want to say but I haven’t the time at the moment.

--------------------
"A pig's snout is NOT an electrical outlet."

Posts: 637 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Good list ONUnicorn!

One thing I would add is:

Is it reasonable for humans to expect God to act consistently?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Seeker963 - No and no. Liberal rationalism squares the circle - always if this site is anything to go by - by rationalizing away the killer God of the OT as our - as Israel - failed, distorted response to His self-disclosure to us.

I find your caricature of my caricature more of a caricature than I find mine.

--------------------
Love wins

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ONUnicorn:
Okay, maybe I wasn't clear in my retelling of the story...

Always before my Junior year of University, I had understood "it is" to be contracted as "it's". Then I took an English class with a professor who absolutely insisted that "it's" was wrong - whatever the context. He insisted "it is" should be shortened to "its" and would circle all instances of "it's" in bright red ink and take five points off for every instance of said usage. Other students pointed out that all accepted style manuals say "it's" is an accepted contraction for "it is" but it was his mission in life to stamp out "it's".

Your professor was wrong. Seriously wrong.

quote:
At any rate, the point I was trying to make was not a grammatical one. God made, and is still making, this world. It is his work of art. Just as it is not immoral for me to smite the apostrophe in the paper I have written, so it is not immoral for God to smite people.
There's just a small flaw in your argument, though. An apostrophe is a stroke on a page. A human being is a sentient, conscious, intelligent, feeling being. Smiting apostrophes does not hurt them. Smiting people, on the other hand....

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I don't doubt your sincerity, your faith, your journey, Little Weed. And I retract nothing. It's no caricature. Liberal rationalism utterly fails dialectically, utterly fails to be confronted by God as He is revealed, as He reveals Himself without patronization: killer saviour. Cannot deal with Him at all. So does my pathetic humanity in many, many less worthy ways.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016