homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What's strange about the British? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What's strange about the British?
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

- Posted      Profile for MrPiccolo   Author's homepage   Email MrPiccolo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
From what I recall the "put" and "poot" distinction is more East Lancs (anywhere east of a line through Bolton & Blackburn) than Lancashire in general.

"flood" is pronounced with a long "o" not "flud" and some pronounce "good" likewise.

Ahh yes, the great difference between yorkies and lancies, you over-emphasise the vowels: we just truncate them or lose them altogether; very symbolic of all our general manner of oral trans-pennine communication differences.. [Biased] IMHO..

[ 18. June 2004, 12:13: Message edited by: MrPiccolo ]

--------------------
"..Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and broken hallelujah." Jeff Buckley, quoting Leonard Cohen.

Posts: 436 | From: Leeds | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

- Posted      Profile for MrPiccolo   Author's homepage   Email MrPiccolo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS Does Bolton still exist?? I thought it had been swallowed up in that great Leviathan called "Greater Manchester" !! [Biased]

--------------------
"..Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and broken hallelujah." Jeff Buckley, quoting Leonard Cohen.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Coot, thank you for enriching my vocabulary with the word 'squattocracy'.

Only in Australia are squatters regarded as a privileged upper class.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye, Bolton's still there, yet is part of Greater Manc. As is Leigh, where t'wife comes from. The Most Exciting Small Town in Britain, if not the World... [Snore]

Yorkshire: home to Ingleborough, Pen-y-ghent, Whernside, Swaledale, Goathland, Bempton Cliffs, York, Beverley Minster, the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, Ribblehead Viaduct, Knaresborough, (the proper) Richmond, the Black Sheep and Timothy Taylor's breweries, the Royal Armouries, Leeds Utd. etc. etc.

Lancashire, home to...?

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[Eek!] [Eek!] There are chippies WITHOUT mushy peas? [Eek!] [Eek!]

You bet. You know you're Up North, when you see guacamole in the chip shops. [Ultra confused]
Mushy peas are more of a southern thing I think. Ubiquitous round here.

In Lancashire they have parched peas which are different.

We also have saveloys. No-one knows what is in a saveloy. Some people suggest they may contain meat, others prefer to think of it as a kind of vegetable resin, a bit like rubber.

--------------------
Ken

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Blackpool Tower (and the Tower Circus, and the Pleasure Beach), the Beatles, Granada TV studios, the Forest of Bowland, certain internationally renowned football teams, Robinsons brewery, and Moorhouses (Pendle Witches, Black Cat), Pendle Hill itself.
Look, we may be smaller than Yorkshire, but we pack a lot in! [Smile]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
Aye, Bolton's still there, yet is part of Greater Manc. As is Leigh, where t'wife comes from. The Most Exciting Small Town in Britain, if not the World... [Snore]

Yorkshire: home to Ingleborough, Pen-y-ghent, Whernside, Swaledale, Goathland, Bempton Cliffs, York, Beverley Minster, the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, Ribblehead Viaduct, Knaresborough, (the proper) Richmond, the Black Sheep and Timothy Taylor's breweries, the Royal Armouries, Leeds Utd. etc. etc.

Lancashire, home to...?

The Old Man of Coniston
Half of the Forest of Bowland
Morecambe Sands
Thwaites Brewery

On pronunciation - yes, but no vowel in Lancastrian would be pronounced the same as the southern "u" in "putt" - the nearest Lancastrian sound would actually be the "a" in "cat"

Hence finding it funny when southerners respell a swearing northerner as saying "fook" - as far as we're concerned, Londoners say "fack" when they swear.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in London, we dealt with the magistrates court in Uxbridge. In order to say it like everyone else, and not get laughed at, I had to think of it as Axbridge.
The "u" sound is about the only thing left of my Northern accent now, apart from a few dialect words that slip in now and again, and a few non-standard sentence constructions.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
You know you're Up North, when you see guacamole in the chip shops.

Who do you think you are? Peter Mandelson?
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
...Blackpool Tower (and the Tower Circus, and the Pleasure Beach), THE BEATLES , Granada TV studios, the Forest of Bowland, certain internationally renowned football teams, Robinsons brewery, and Moorhouses (Pendle Witches, Black Cat), Pendle Hill itself.
Look, we may be smaller than Yorkshire, but we pack a lot in! [Smile]

"Woh woh, woh!!" As Peter Kay would say; you are trying to tell me the Beatles (from Liverpool, Merseyside) are Lancastrians!!!??? [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I'll be interested to see what our scouse friends will say about that..!!! [Two face]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

Lancashire, home to...?

The Forest of Bowland, Lunedale, plate glass, most of the rest of the Ribble, a nuclear submarine factory, Manchester City, Everton, a few of other football teams you may have heard of, lots of Rugby clubs who play with the wrong number of men in each side, Walney island, Martin Mere, cockles, the Beatles, Thwaite's Ales, Rochdale Pioneers, Wigan Pier, very silly place-names with more than one apostrophe in them, Pendle Hill, the largest remaining population of English speakers who use "thee" and "thou" colloquially and correctly, Accrington Stanley, and more people than either Ireland or Wales.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by MrPiccolo:
you are trying to tell me the Beatles (from Liverpool, Merseyside) are Lancastrians!!!??? :I'll be interested to see what our scouse friends will say about that..!!!

You'll be telling us that Hull isn't in Yorkshire I suppose?

Places don't stop being where they are just because the government changes a few administrative boundaries.

And even if they did, "Merseyside" was after the Beatles.

--------------------
Ken

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Karl L-B:
quote:
The Old Man of Coniston (never got flippin up it, did we?)
Half of the Forest of Bowland
Morecambe Sands
Thwaites Brewery

Ah, it is indeed true that only about half of Bowland is Lancastrian, t'other being in the West Riding. I have only ever seen that part of the world from its edges, namely the Western edge from the Preston-Lancaster main line, and the North-Eastern from the Skipton-Carnforth line.

Thwaites isn't anything to write home about. Moorhouses' would be [Smile] , however!

And Eigon, Robinson's would be in Cheshire, not Lancs, wouldn't it. Wherever it is, it will never be forgiven [Frown] for taking over and closing down the Hartley's (Ulverston) brewery which was in Lancashire. One of teh best ales ever, was 'proper' Hartley's. [Waterworks]

I wouldn't mention NorthWest sports teams if I were you! Not to a Leeds fan.

MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
You'll be telling us that Hull isn't in Yorkshire I suppose?

Places don't stop being where they are just because the government changes a few administrative boundaries.

And even if they did, "Merseyside" was after the Beatles.

.. the difference is we've reclaimed Hull; Liverpool OTOH, is still firmly cast adrift in that misnomer "Merseyside" [Biased]

Rugby teams..?
Leeds Rhinos, Bradford Bulls..? : [Razz]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lancashire has a lot of faults.

But Accrington Stanley? Surely that makes up for lots of things... [Overused]

At least we don't have Bradford. Or Wakefield. At least our dump-like places (Burnley, Blackburn, Darwen, Colne, Nelson) are small dumps

And we have better cheese.

Ferijen (upset that she's about to go away from the computer for a week and going to miss this debate hot up even more)

*not for want of trying on Blackburn's part [Snigger]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I wouldn't mention NorthWest sports teams if I were you! Not to a Leeds fan.

Leeds are becoming a Proper British sports team - its the Taking Part that counts, not the winning [Snigger]

--------------------
Ken

Oxymoron
Shipmate
# 5246

- Posted      Profile for Oxymoron   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really must protest, this thread seems to have been hijacked by Northerners.

How ghastly!

Posts: 179 | From: Brunel's Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

I must say, whether I lived in Yorkshire (as I do) or Lancashire, my negative attitude to the 'rugby league' thing means I would never be regarded as a 'true native' (I am Sunderland born, despite my fondness for Yorks. (and some aspects of Lancs., I'll admit!)) Have to see if my Leeds-born sons grow to like RL...

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Lancashire has a lot of faults. ...

At least we don't have Bradford. Or Wakefield. At least our dump-like places (Burnley, Blackburn, Darwen, Colne, Nelson) are small dumps...

And we have better cheese....

What's wrong with Wakey? I worked there for several years and it's got a nice cathedral, good pubs, a (generally) nice town centre. And IMO it's smaller than Blackburn.

I won't try and defend Bradford (well not the city itself: Bradford MDC includes Ilkley Moor, Haworth, the Worth Valley Railway and the aforementioned Taylor's brewery, so does include some of me Favourite Things!).

('Not even') Wensleydale is better than 'Lancashire'. Both are better than Cheddar, of course.

--------------------

MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

its interesting to note that all the "defenders of Lancashire" [Overused] on this thread" :
are now living elsewhere than their place of birth [Biased]
I wonder what that tells us.. [Two face] [Two face]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrPiccolo:
its interesting to note that all the "defenders of Lancashire" [Overused] on this thread" :
are now living elsewhere than their place of birth [Biased]
I wonder what that tells us.. [Two face] [Two face]

[Razz]

[Hot and Hormonal]

(And I don't necessarily defend it that much: I just think its better than Yorkshire.)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Sunderland. Now that's the proper North.

Weardale, Teesdale, Deepdale, Bowes, Barnard Castle, leeks, Vaux's beer (the memories are fonder than the taste), Castle Eden, Federation, Marsden Rock (the arch fell down [Frown] ), the pit pond at Dawdon (they closed it [Frown] ), pink snow (nae mair, nae mair), the Social Club on Browney Lane in Meadofield, the Colpitt's Tavern in Durham City, the Venerable Bede - we're having no truck with modern boundaries here, so Jarrow is in Durham and we can have the Jarrow March, the Miner's Gala, the Penshore Monument, the City of Durham itself and the wonderfullest Cathedral in the northern world.

--------------------
Ken

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True words were spoken above by Ken - places do not move just because administrative boundaries do.

Fact: Liverpool is in Lancashire, whether other Lancastrians want it or not.

Ditto Manchester

Even odder fact: a good proportion of Sheffield - Totley, Dore, Meersbrook, Woodseats, Beighton, Crystal Peaks, Waterthorpe - is in Derbyshire

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

quote:

Weardale, Teesdale, Deepdale, Bowes, Barnard Castle, leeks, Vaux's beer (the memories are fonder than the taste), Castle Eden, Federation, Marsden Rock (the arch fell down [Frown] ), the pit pond at Dawdon (they closed it [Frown] ), pink snow (nae mair, nae mair), the Social Club on Browney Lane in Meadofield, the Colpitt's Tavern in Durham City, the Venerable Bede - we're having no truck with modern boundaries here, so Jarrow is in Durham and we can have the Jarrow March, the Miner's Gala, the Penshore Monument, the City of Durham itself and the wonderfullest Cathedral in the northern world.

[Overused] Noo ye're taalkin'!
Marsden Rock: not the same since the incident you mention. And they blew up the smaller of the remaining stacks [Mad] , claiming it was unsafe.

'Vaux' wasn't actually all that good, but it's a shame they closed it. You can still get 'Double Maxim' in bottles (quite canny), as a Sunderland brewery was set up (not on the Vaux site) with that brand name.

And it's Penshaw Monument, please!

('And when he'd etten aal he could
And when he had hees fill
He craaled away
And wrapped hees tail
Ten times roond Penshaa Hill')

Ironically the hill (above) in The Lambton Worm is probably Worm Hill and not the one with the Monument on it!

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

Alaric and Ken:

[Overused]

Not only by virtue of being a Durham alumna, but also because of my maternal family connections. County Durham over Lancashire every day (although still Lancashire over Yorkshire [Biased] )

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Undiscovered Country (the original poster),

I suspect these recent posts have provided a practical example of what is strange about the British. Are you managing to follow them at all, or have the references to places and things unknown sent you fleeing?

Yours

Yangtze

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to understand the British, you need to realise that the county you were born in is very very important. Despite the fact that they may seem rather small, and you may only have to go a few miles to get into a different one, they are foreign, different, and ( probably ) the enemy.

In fact, the variety of culture that you can experience in a very short time can be deceptive. That Yorkshire people and Lancashire people may seem to speak in a similar way, to an untrained ear, they are hugely different, as the above few posts show.

[I am half of each, so I am keeping out of the discussion]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Mr Piccolo is right - I was born a Mancunian and I don't think I would ever go back.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oxymoron:
I really must protest, this thread seems to have been hijacked by Northerners.

How ghastly!

Northerners ? They all appear to be talking about somewhere to the far South of where I live........

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. And not even just different counties. Take the County of Kent for example. I'm a proud Maid of Kent and we have no truck with them there Kentish Maids from the wrong side of the Medway.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Cross posted. Mine was of course in response to Schroedinger's Cat.

--------------------

MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
If you want to understand the British, you need to realise that the county you were born in is very very important. Despite the fact that they may seem rather small, and you may only have to go a few miles to get into a different one, they are foreign, different, and ( probably ) the enemy.

In fact, the variety of culture that you can experience in a very short time can be deceptive. That Yorkshire people and Lancashire people may seem to speak in a similar way, to an untrained ear, they are hugely different, as the above few posts show.

[I am half of each, so I am keeping out of the discussion]

What a quaint, paroachial, nay, perhaps "perculiar" island race we Brits. are!!
I think I hear the opening bars of "Land of Hope.." stirring in the background.. [Tear]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Dear Undiscovered Country (the original poster),

I suspect these recent posts have provided a practical example of what is strange about the British. Are you managing to follow them at all, or have the references to places and things unknown sent you fleeing?

Undiscovered Country is British, isn't he?

Unless I miss my guess, mine is the first post by a non-Brit in almost a week. I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. But I am more convinced than ever that you're all very strange. [Big Grin]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

.."you don't have to be mad to live here; but it helps"
old english proverb..
[Biased]

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
[Undiscovered Country is British, isn't he?

Just read the OP again and, dang me, you're right. I'd just assumed it was a question from a foreigner wanting to understand more of our weird and wonderful ways.

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True words were spoken above by Ken - places do not move just because administrative boundaries do.

Ditto Manchester

eeeeeerrrrrrrrmmm [Mad]

get your facts RIGHT

Liverpool is NOT in Lancashire, it is in Merseyside, and dont talk to me about historically either because I was born in Merseyside and we dont discuss any former connections with Manchester that are MYTHS

[Razz]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh and I'm always nice to tourists, but is that to do do the Welsh in me or the Scouse in me, I'm not sure.

My Welsh family (mothers side) call Liverpool the capital of North Wales, I think what they mean is the shopping / clubbing capital.

meanwhile my dads side (Scouse) is close to pushing for total independence for Liverpool.

Yes we British are strange... but Liverpool is distinct from Lancashire, and we are very welcoming of all tourists (well not so much the Mancunian variety... [Biased]

Liverpool - European Capital of Culture for 2008 ...

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

GeordieDownSouth
Shipmate
# 4100

- Posted      Profile for GeordieDownSouth   Email GeordieDownSouth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

<sigh>

No comment needed really.

--------------------
----------------------

No longer down south.

Posts: 689 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Aliciaa:
quote:

Ditto Manchester

eeeeeerrrrrrrrmmm [Mad]

get your facts RIGHT

Liverpool is NOT in Lancashire, it is in Merseyside, and dont talk to me about historically either because I was born in Merseyside and we dont discuss any former connections with Manchester that are MYTHS

[Razz]

My facts are correct. Merseyside is an administrative creation of 1974 intended purely to administer those parts of Lancashire and Cheshire on either bank of the Mersey. They don't stop those places being in Lancashire and Cheshire.

That scousers don't feel worthy to be called Lancastrians is their self-esteem problem.

[ 09. July 2004, 09:37: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

Move with the times and get over it

Liverpool is the adminstration capital of MERSEYSIDE.

[Razz]

since I and most people of my generation have never lived in Lancashire it is factually incorrect for me and people of my generation.

this is why the British are wierd, some of us live in the past.

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

and besides by what right have people in Chesterfield to tell me where I live?

[Ultra confused]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

It is the facts, not my location, that place you in Lancashire.

You were born in Lancashire. You live there now. The administrative counties were never intended to replace the traditional ones. That is the error you are making.

[Razz]

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

oh get over it your giving us Brits a reputation for being strange

[Razz]

I will accept your apology in your next post, I was born in Liverpool, Merseyside, not part of Lanacashire in MY lifetime.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

I should add to this the Government statement concerning this:

"The new county boundaries are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change, despite the different names adopted by the new administrative counties"

In other words, Liverpool is in the administrative county of Merseyside, but is part of the traditional county of Lancashire.

[ 09. July 2004, 09:54: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

and most of us younger folk know that tradition is not necessarily fact.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

The traditional boundaries of Lancashire are pretty factual, though, don't you think?

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

yep, Britons are strange, I agree with the OP, and advance this view by saying that SOME of us are so obsessed with TRADITION that they fail to observe change. Very strange.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Liverpool's always been different though. I remember an April Fool on Look North, many years ago, where the "breaking news" throughout the programme was that Liverpool had declared UDI and was barricading itself off. It worked as a joke because it was so plausible.

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Liverpool's always been different though. I remember an April Fool on Look North, many years ago, where the "breaking news" throughout the programme was that Liverpool had declared UDI and was barricading itself off. It worked as a joke because it was so plausible.

thank you Eigon ... I love your town by the way and I remember reading about Hay on Wye declaring independence or something along those lines...

lots and lots of bookshops - my kinda place

[Smile]

--------------------

Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tricorne Hat on]

Aliciaa,

It reads to me like you're verging on making personal attacks outside of Hell Commandment 4). Because you're new, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being playful rather than vindictive.

You might find it useful to read the introductions to each board. Heaven's is here.

Gauging the tone of each board is something new posters can find tricky. It might help to read through several threads on each board before jumping in.

Hope this is of some use!

[Tricorne Hat off]

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016