homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa_Smurf:
Did anyone have Norris McWhirter from the UK's Record Breakers ?

Nope.

Oh well, another missed opportunity. [Biased]

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Any American political watchers have Archibald Cox of Watergate "Saturday Night Massacre" fame on their lists?

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
*bump*

Any American political watchers have Archibald Cox of Watergate "Saturday Night Massacre" fame on their lists?

Charlotte

I did, but he's only worth 8 points. (I feel evil, typing that.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This just in:

Ronald Reagan has died at age 93.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Ronald Reagan

Well done Ken.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
several others with Reagan on their lists....maybe now that the year is nearly half gone it's time for a 1/2 way scoreboard.

Who's in the lead?

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
several others with Reagan on their lists....maybe now that the year is nearly half gone it's time for a 1/2 way scoreboard.

Who's in the lead?

Going through the thread and barring a sudden failure of arithmetic:

Uriel is our current points leader (18). Mamacita is second (12) and the current holder of the Quantity Not Quality title with 2 picks. The other people who picked Reagan (Ken, Kenwritez, LydaRose, Stoo, Bessie, Sieg, and me) are in third with 7.

eta points

Charlotte

[ 05. June 2004, 23:07: Message edited by: Amazing Grace ]

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The general consensus here, upon hearing of Reagan's death, was "Damnit, I didn't have him on my death list" [Devil]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be wrong of me to hope he fails so that I could get some points in this game at last?

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
Would it be wrong of me to hope he fails so that I could get some points in this game at last?

Tom

It would be very wrong indeed. Your points in this game would be a minor matter. [Snigger]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone have Ray Charles?
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Nope.

Gremlin

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else noticed celebrities often seem to die in threes?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
Has anyone else noticed celebrities often seem to die in threes?

I'm hoping...

--------------------
My allotment blog

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

So, in what time frame should we expect the third 'celebrity' to die to confirm your hypothesis, Ken?

And how much of a celebrity must they be to count? I mean, Raygun and Ray Charles strike me as top-flight.

Also, will there be a phononym for 'Ray' in their name? [Big Grin]

Gremlin

[ 12. June 2004, 16:32: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as though the third may have fallen...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

I don't mean to belittle the man's death but... who?

Gremlin

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well they posted him up on BBC news online. And you were looking for a third dead celebrity

(ok, ok, I thought this was clutching at straws too...)

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Yes, I read the article you posted, but thought our requirement for a celebrity was far from met by the guitarist of 80s has-been band. Definitely clutching at straws [Smile]

Gremlin

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it is: Elvin Ray Jones.

But I don't think anybody had him, either.

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

Johnny Ramone is said to be near death, although last I heard he is still alive.

I don't think anyone picked him. (Points galore.)

Charlotte (well, he was a cultural figure to my generation)

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one on my list has died yet. But Michael Moore continues to piss people off,many of whom are angry and armed. So there's still hope for some points.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
The general consensus here, upon hearing of Reagan's death, was "Damnit, I didn't have him on my death list" [Devil]

Ha Ha!

I did!

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprised to be in the lead at the half way mark.

Here's to long life, health and happiness for all celebrities in the rest of 2004.

Except for Ant & Dec.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone have Marlon Brando ?

he was a bit old, so won't get you many points....

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
The Lyda Rose aka Sick-Skulled Bastard Death List:
...Marlon Brando...

Well done.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

And also well done to Siegfried too!

Neil

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[kicking self] How could I have overlooked Marlon Brando? [/kicking self]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would put LydaRose and I in a tie for first place, with 27 points each, and in a 3 way tie with Mamacita in the q!q race with 2 each.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo-hooo! [Yipee]

Uh, make that, "Rest in peace, Marlon." [Tear]

[ 02. July 2004, 21:53: Message edited by: LydaRose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Children's author Anthony Buckeridge (of the "Jennings" books fame) has just popped his clogs. Doubt if anyone had him, but he is now both famous and dead.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

Did anyone have perennial DP favorite Fay Wray?

Not a lot of points, as she was 96.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Fred LaRue, one of the Watergate Gang? I doubt anyone has him on their list, but he had a certain infamy. Some thought he might be Deep Throat, but Bob Woodward said he'd reveal Deep throat's identity when he/she died. And Woodward was on Larry King tonight; Larry brought it up and Woodward reiterated that he would tell all when the informant was dead -but it wasn't now because it wasn't LaRue.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Julia Child, anyone? Anyone?

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat of a tangent here, but I had a distinct premonition last night that Baroness Thatcher is next for the drop. Very soon in fact.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Somewhat of a tangent here, but I had a distinct premonition last night that Baroness Thatcher is next for the drop. Very soon in fact.

So if she is assassinated, we know where to send the police .... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat.:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

So if she is assassinated, we know where to send the police .... [Paranoid]
Well you know, "I, said the sparrow, with my bow and arrow ....."

[Snigger]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Damn. I haven't got Cloughie...
Infact, The game loses a good character and I think he will be missed.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
Julia Child, anyone? Anyone?

She's already gone...that's one!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it too late in the year to come up with a list?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Very much so, Sir Kevin. That would miss the point of the Christmas/New Year list entirely.

Gremlin

--------------------

dorothea
Goodwife and low church mystic
# 4398

- Posted      Profile for dorothea   Author's homepage   Email dorothea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone have cloughie. God rest the old scoundrel. [Angel]
J

Posts: 1581 | From: Notlob City Limits | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

dorothea - I think nobody believed that he would ever die, and he was quite young. Not an obvious pick, I think.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Anyone for Superman?

Looks like he finally had too much Kriptonite.

Tom (again, misses out on any points)

--------------------
My allotment blog

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
Anyone for Superman?

Nope, I just checked. No-one expected this one this year.

Gremlin

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I guess no-one had John Peel either.

These people dying unexpectedly is not helping this thread.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I guess no-one had John Peel either.

Well, indeed it is so. Who would have guessed it anyway [Frown]

Gremlin

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Looks like lots of people are going to add to their scores soon...

But not me.

--------------------

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Are you referring to Yasser Arafat by any chance?

Gremlin

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Could be.

Well, yes. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016