homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have Emlyn Hughes ?

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, again. It seems that I have given 13 people the gift of life this year...

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
Nope, again. It seems that I have given 13 people the gift of life this year...

Tom

Likewise. All my choices seem determined to hang onto this mortal coil...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Arafat is on the way out. Seems that will be it for me.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Looks like lots of people are going to add to their scores soon...

This just in - claim your twenty-five points if you had him on your list.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Looks like lots of people are going to add to their scores soon...

This just in - claim your twenty-five points if you had him on your list.
That would be:
  • Ken
  • ebeth
  • Nunc Dimittis
  • KenWritez
  • Lurker McLurker™
  • Amazing Grace
  • Mamacita.

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like Mamacita may be in front of the pack here both in points and picks ... although ebeth may have her on the picks ... is it time for a points-and-picks roundup?

I have two picks and 32 points.

Charlotte

[ 11. November 2004, 14:29: Message edited by: Amazing Grace ]

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By my reckoning I've got 40 points and 3 picks (Reagan 7; Archibald Cox 8; Arafat 25).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THis thread was started on the 1st December last year. Are we going to have another annual Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool for next year?

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by splosh:
THis thread was started on the 1st December last year. Are we going to have another annual Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool for next year?

Maybe I'll be more successful this year.

Yes we will, I will starta thread nearer the time and label it accordingly.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Only one more week to go... I wonder if anyone of note will pop off during this festive week?

Gremlin

--------------------

Garfield
Ship's cat
# 1567

- Posted      Profile for Garfield   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any totals?

--------------------
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"
Faithless (the group, not my disposition)

Posts: 375 | From: Devon or Cardiff | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Garfield:
Anyone got any totals?

Will do some later on tonight / tommorow if I get the chance. If someone else gets there before me I won't be upset [Smile]

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gremlin is working on it There were 218 people to die and he only has to acertain the vitality of a further 40.

He hopes to post here later today.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been working on it, too. I have about 55 names left to confirm. The US/UK factor is a real pain.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Right, thanks to help from Scot to eliminate some of the survivors, I've got the results all added up:

RuthW               :  4 pts
Eigon                 :  5 pts
Stoo                 :  7 pts
Bessie Rosebride  : 7 pts
Uriel                  : 18 pts
Nunc Dimittis      : 25 pts
Lurker McLurker   : 25 pts
Siegfried            : 27 pts
Lyda Rose          : 27 pts
ebeth                : 30 pts
Ken                   : 32 pts
Amazing Grace    : 32 pts
Kenwritez           : 32 pts
Mamacita           : 40 pts

So we declare Mamacita as the evil predictress of death! [Devil] She also wins the Quantity Not Quality Award extraneous category for the most predicted deaths, in this case a mere 3.

Also Uriel wins the Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award for the first death - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Thanks to everyone for playing. This thread will stay open for a few days for congratulatory posts and gloating by the 'winners'.

Gremlin, Circus Host

P.S. for the record:
Alistair Cooke  : 5 pts
Archibald Cox  : 8 pts
Fay Wray       : 4 pts
Marlon Brando : 20 pts
Peter Ustinov  : 18 pts
Ronald Reagan : 7 pts
Yasser Arafat  : 25 pts

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
Right, thanks to help from Scot to eliminate some of the survivors, I've got the results all added up:

<snip>

Did that add to anyone's scores?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:

RuthW               :  4 pts

Darn shame I'm not playing this year ... think of the lives I could have saved. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Did that add to anyone's scores?

Don't you wish you'd sent me something nice for Christmas?

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So we declare Mamacita as the evil predictress of death! She also wins the Quantity Not Quality Award extraneous category for the most predicted deaths, in this case a mere 3.
[Acceptance speech mode ON]

I'd like to thank the late, venerable Archibald Cox, Watergate-era hero, for giving me the 8-point edge over ken, kenwritez, and Amazing Grace, all of whom had matched my other winning guesses of Arafat and Reagan and who are locked in an um, three-way for second place.
I'd like to not thank my wild-card guess, Courtney Love, for entering rehab again, thereby depriving me of a whopping 60 points whilst ensuring that the qualifier "quantity not quality" besmirches my otherwise impressive victory.
Finally, I encourage those vying for the 2005 title to carry on, unencumbered by my competition. I may be able to pick 'em, but I can't tell the difference between GMT and EST and missed the deadline. Courtney Love, by the way, was not going to be on my new list.

[Acceptance speech mode OFF.]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] [Big Grin] [Yipee]

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Woo-hoo, Mamacita!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

Brava! Brava! Well done Mamacita.

I feel much better about not putting La Love on my '05 list. That woman is a train wreck waiting to happen.

I'd like to see yours ... if some kind host won't relent and let you enter late, perhaps you could post it here.

Charlotte (who, given last year's results, should have given BB King the Gift of Life in '05)

--------------------
.sig on vacation

ReverendMike

Fine rebel indeed
# 7223

- Posted      Profile for ReverendMike   Author's homepage   Email ReverendMike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

I'd like to not thank my wild-card guess, Courtney Love, for entering rehab again, thereby depriving me of a whopping 60 points whilst ensuring that the qualifier "quantity not quality" besmirches my otherwise impressive victory.
Finally, I encourage those vying for the 2005 title to carry on, unencumbered by my competition. I may be able to pick 'em, but I can't tell the difference between GMT and EST and missed the deadline. Courtney Love, by the way, was not going to be on my new list.

Rehab is for quitters and Ms Love (IMO) is no quitter. She is made of tougher stuff.
Therefore, I am proud to have her on my 2005 list. If need be, she will be on my 2006 list as well.

(Yeah, its a sick world and I'm a happy guy...)

Posts: 414 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I'd like to see yours ... if some kind host won't relent and let you enter late, perhaps you could post it here.

Relent? A host? Nah! It's the only chance we get to be even vaguely unreasonable [Devil]

Gremlin

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Well, it's been The Circus's longest running thread and now I think it is time to put it to rest in Limbo.

Tom Day
Circus Host

--------------------
My allotment blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016