homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Geschmackvoll? I think not. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Geschmackvoll? I think not.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoot:
I know the hall-monitors are tetchy about being reminded to do their job, but aren't there tiresome rules on this board about pimpin'?

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Does that make Duchess a Pimp-Daddy?

This is the kind of thing that keeps you penciled in (lightly) on my cool books, Boots. Quick, say something snide, I need homeostasis back.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Sine, I have got to wonder how you would feel if the water wasn't blue, but a delicate mauve.

...perhaps with a couple of rose petals floating in it, like in the finger-bowl at a formal dinner.

Now that would be really Ree-Fined lookin'.

I'd wonder why the hell the last person to visit the toilet had been eating roses.
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously because they didn't know the purpose of the finger-bowl.
JohnBoot
BOOTED
# 3566

- Posted      Profile for JohnBoot   Email JohnBoot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twice in the last week, I've typed in posts, then, when I've reviewed them on Preview-Post, I've thought - that's too mean, and I've aborted the post.

I'm losing my edge. What can I do to get it back?

Posts: 789 | From: Detroit | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly! I am a pimp-mamma but no daddy. Anyway, I would give the digits for Uncle Sign for FREE for there would be no pimpin'. No profit cut. Hmph.

Uncle Sign, have you ever been to California? Where gay men act more straight sometimes than the breeders? I can assure you, having grown up here, my gay-dar is fully developed when it comes to gay guys.

Lesbians though are harder to spot sometimes if they do not drive a big truck and listen to country mustic (the in thing for awhile here), especially liptick lesbians.*

Sheesh, I ain't as naive as you would care to believe growing up jaded in this town, 45 miles south of SF. [Roll Eyes]

*Kelly and basso have a story about that one. [Biased]

[ 30. October 2004, 18:21: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoot:
I'm losing my edge. What can I do to get it back?

Discontinue the new medication immediately.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been looking everywhere for two items:

A black velvet painting of Jesus
A stuffed parrot in a wicker birdcage

Both items are intended as gifts, the parrot for my dearest friend A who has a Tiki Bar themed bathroom (yes, there is rum in the medicine cabinet). The velvet Jesus is for friend B, a neo-Pagan who has really pissed me off.

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Lesbians though are harder to spot sometimes if they do not drive a big truck and listen to country mustic (the in thing for awhile here), especially liptick lesbians.*

Although if they drive an H2, they're not neccessarily a lesbian, more likely they're a Realtor or mortgage broker.

And whaddya mean country music was only 'the in thing for a while'?!?!?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy! Long time no see!

I worked in with a group of lesbians who almost kicked my butt when I made fun of the big jacked-up truck one drove. Most of them were into country music, used to go to a place called Hambuger Mary's in San Jose for Country-Western Night. I learned from my mistake and barely made it out alive. I lost my job soon after faux pas too. [Hot and Hormonal]

Velvet paintings are so....wrong...please reconsider girlfriend. [Eek!]

Missed you at the last meet, however I found out you live in Sac and I was not realising that.

[I like the latest C&W lyric hit you have there in your sig line. Great song. [Smile] ]

[ 30. October 2004, 19:04: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Whoa, just noticed painting is to punish evil neo-pagan...then by all means, find the painting and give it away.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
...who almost kicked my butt

...and barely made it out alive...

...we just have to accept that God does indeed have a plan and knows what He's doing.

Sometimes that's hard to do in the face of apparent evidence to the contrary.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

I wish a thousand blue tablets would find their way into your toilet tank someday, Sign-on.

[or that you had a nightmare about that...blue meanie toilet tabs...]

[ 30. October 2004, 19:13: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Duchess, you cut me to the quick. And here I thought you'd encourage me in my Faith Journey, what with being so religious and all.
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine said:
quote:
I always check out people's bookshelves. After I scope out their medicine cabinet.
As I have always respected Sine's opinion on these and other matters, I submit to you, through the miracle of digital magic, my medicine cabinet. [which I suddenly realize has no medicine!] Accessments please!

Sioni Sais said:
quote:
[...] It's difficult to imagine any wall clock other than a purely functional one looking inoffensive.
I found this 75lb. functional Regulator at a flea market; now it hangs precariously on my bedroom wall. Whatcha think?

Another item on my bedroom wall is this print. I should have shared it on the fox hunting thread. Think it's too conservative for a bedroom?

Most of my tchotchkes rest on or near the mantle. Is this too cluttered or plain for for a comfortable evening of wine with friends?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by .Gort:
As I have always respected Sine's opinion on these and other matters, I submit to you, through the miracle of digital magic, my medicine cabinet. [which I suddenly realize has no medicine!] Accessments please!

You might have dusted the shelves before you took the photo.

quote:
Another item on my bedroom wall is this print. I should have shared it on the fox hunting thread. Think it's too conservative for a bedroom?
Appalling frame. Total fashion mistake. Get it reframed at once. While you're at it, get a different picture to put inside it.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What this thread needs is a boyz touch. Heaven Boyz, that is.

-RooK
Hellhost

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Gort, apparently high-gloss marine varnish once meant a great deal to you at some point in your life. Unfortunately you don't appear to live on a boat.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to merrily throw one of those bluey things in the cistern every 6 weeks or so (because I will buy/use anything that says I don't have to clean stuff). After a while I discovered they were making the porcelain permeable, and my toilet was dribbling blue puddles...

The bathroom is one of the three book-free rooms in the house (the others are the bedroom and the scullery). We're about to take in another 5-6,000, so even those redoubts may crumble.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joykins
Shipmate
# 5820

- Posted      Profile for Joykins   Author's homepage   Email Joykins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disapprove of blue water in general. This includes blue water in miniature golf courses, which just looks weird. It also includes blue water in toilet tanks, because people who use it tend to forget that they need to clean their toilets, and then they have toilets with blue water and mold. Lovely.

I have crocheted a toilet paper roll cover [Hot and Hormonal] It is very helpful because I know when it's deflated, it's time to restock the bathroom with a new roll.

As for tacky--Precious Moments, anyone? Overpriced figurines of children with alienesque large pear-shaped eyes?

Joy

Posts: 350 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a librarian friend who has all her books alphabetized by author. I suppose it makes life easier for her, though it must also lead to some odd associations.

When we sold our last house (so our agent tells us), the people who wound up buying it played a guessing game of looking at all our books and trying to figure out my husband's and my occupations. As it was none of their business, I am gratified to report that they never did manage to figure it out---if pressed, I would have replied serenely, "Mother."

But back to the OP: What is truly tacky? Sine, I know that I am supposed to think that having a lot of new silver qualifies... but my heart wouldn't be in it. I adore Beverly Bremer's and have the receipts to prove it. So sue me.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by The Prophetess:
I adore Beverly Bremer's and have the receipts to prove it. So sue me.

I can hardly throw stones regarding Beverly's little Buckhead emporium. You must pay a visit in person sometime. I started hyper-ventilating and had to sit down before I could whip out my Visa with trembling hands.

I believe saliva was also dribbling down my chin.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Precious Moments! [Projectile] I believe there's a whole chapel of it somewhere. Stained glass pics and everything.

Some irreverent friends of mine used to wonder how they handled the Crucifixion. [Ultra confused]

The stoning of Stephen, anyone?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found this 75lb. functional Regulator at a flea market; now it hangs precariously on my bedroom wall. Whatcha think?

Most of my tchotchkes rest on or near the mantle. Is this too cluttered or plain for for a comfortable evening of wine with friends? [/QB]

Oh, Gort! A man after my own heart! [Axe murder] I do so admire people who raise vulgarity (as do I wish) to an artform.

I also love sailboats. In bottles as well. And the print is just fine! As is the clock [Overused] Ooooh. But the only thing better than that, would be a nice gold and white baroque number. I favour pine furniture and Louis Quinze (look at that console avec candlesticks, is it not instant hard-on material?) and the odd (XVI, heavy wood with lots of straight lines and twiddly bits and also gold and white - Oooh gold and white, you heartbreaker). Sofas should be Chesterfield. Not only is it hard to blend these styles. But. I am quite OK with REPRODUCTIONS!!!!!!!

But the medicine cabinet is a source of concern. Those blue and white things. Would they be a new design of anal plugs? Or enemas?

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Coot:
A man after my own heart! [Axe murder]

Who isn't?

Coot, I have a Louis XV fauteuil covered with leopard print velvet in front of a mirrored 30s dressing table in the dressing area part of my bathroom. Is that vulgar enough for you?

[Edit: erk! accidentally editted instead of replying, the dangers of being a host - but it's all fixed now, thank goodness for backscroll]

[ 31. October 2004, 02:59: Message edited by: Coot ]

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coot: [Killing me] Thanks for the questionable support! The odd blue and white things are little water squirting things used for ear-canal cleaning! Too small for buttplugs or enemas..at least on me.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now what I meant to type before disfiguring Sine's post...

quote:
Sine:
Coot, I have a Louis XV fauteuil covered with leopard print velvet in front of a mirrored 30s dressing table in the dressing area part of my bathroom. Is that vulgar enough for you?

Woah! That sounds fabulous, Sine! The leopard print velvet is really what completes the mise en scene. I know it's wrong, but I really covet that. [Overused]

[And Gort: [Big Grin] ]

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
Staying in the bathroom, cute, crocheted toilet roll covers. This kind of thing .
K.

Coming in late to the conversation here.... but my dear, departed, gran gave me one of these for my loo once. How lovely she looked, hiding the roll.

Really, I think that if you want blue water in the toilet, it's best to set if off with a nice furry cover in matching shade. . Luxuient toilet accessories really do make a house a home that others will envy.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never seen a toilet tank cover before! Over here we get a set of 3, a cover for the toilet seat lid, a U-shaped mat for around the base of the toilet and an ovalish shaped bath mat.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I have never seen a toilet tank cover before! Over here we get a set of 3, a cover for the toilet seat lid, a U-shaped mat for around the base of the toilet and an ovalish shaped bath mat.

A mat for arund the toilet and a bath mat make sense. Both absorb drips. The toilet one would be unnecessary if men could aim.

But why, why, why would anyone want a piece of carpeting for the lid? Kitch of the worse kind! But if these people have blue water... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Mm. Toilets are wet areas, therefore carpet does not belong there. Having said that... the red shag pile in LatA's link did look rather sumptious.

What I need to know is, what can I actually put in the cistern of my toilet to keep it free of mold? I don't put the blue blocks into the cistern (preferring when I have the water colouring ones to have them hanging in a holder on the side) because I don't want them to discolour it.

But what can I put in there that won't degrade or damage the plastic (white)? Bleach won't do... I've been thinking a lot about this... would a capful of that Napisan or Milton stuff they use for sterilising baby things do it? Or maybe just a capful of Dettol every now and again?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been staring at the things in LATA's link in wild surmise. Why would you want to lag a toilet cistern? You only do that for things containing hot water. Ergo, these are the famous Boiling Toilets, where every flush releases a germ-scalding flood. Then the lid-cosy thing would to absorb the subsequent steam.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Most common purpose (after the obvious decorative value) for a tank cover is to keep humid bathroom air from condensing on the tank in locales with very cold supply water.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Actually, I'm thinking tank covers are so out they're probably back in. I always like to be the first on my block to spot hot new decorating trends. This could be it.

Oddly enough I know a lot of smart decorators (and hair-dressers too, for that matter); I'll have to get their professional opinion.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in New Hampshire, my well water was cold year round. When the temperature was ninety and the humidity was high, the water condensing on the tank made huge puddles on the floor.

Unfortunately the toilet tank and bowl were made in one piece, so I could not use a tank cover. I just had to wipe up the water frequently.

Tank covers can be very useful.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Handyman Mode]

There are internal toilet tank insulators made from rigid foam panels that fit up against walls of the tank. Easy to install and will save you the embarrassment of choosing the wrong external fuzzy cover design. See your local hardware store.

For that algae bloom and mold in the bowl, 2 cups of laundry bleach one per week, let stand till next use, swirl with brush.

[/Handyman Mode]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tank covers?!?!?

Isn't that what the books are for?

I mean, a lot of my books and magazines do wind up living on the toilet tank (just popped into the bathroom to take an inventory: Last month's Via, a Russian-English dictionary, a textbook on language diversity in the classroom, and the book I spent all last night looking for. Durf). They keep the dust off it quite nicely.

sooper-sekrit p.s. to dutchess: I would have made the jaunt most likely (as I'm a huge NB fan) if I had not been stuck here in Sacto taking a bloody useless final for aforementioned language diversity class.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This set is nice.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamb chopped:
Precious Moments! [Projectile] I believe there's a whole chapel of it somewhere. Stained glass pics and everything. ...

There is indeed, not so very far away (as compared to, say, Manitoba) from here, and whenever we pass it, my husband threatens to stop and make me go through it. So far, however, my counterthreats (to actually buy and display, in our home, a Precious Moments collection) have proven effective.

LatA, my late mother-in-law once gave me one of those dolls. I believe that, tragically, it was lost in a move.

Rossweisse // that's my story, and I'm sticking to it

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sine said:
quote:
I always check out people's bookshelves. After I scope out their medicine cabinet.

Sioni Sais said:
quote:
[...] It's difficult to imagine any wall clock other than a purely functional one looking inoffensive.

Most of my tchotchkes rest on or near the mantle. Is this too cluttered or plain for for a comfortable evening of wine with friends?

Plain versions of that regulator clock can look OK. That one isn't as nasty as a lot I have seen though.

As for the boat I'm afraid only schooner rigged boats are acceptable, and then only if one has sailed.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of books: An acquaintance once walked into my library, looked at all the books, and said, dismissively, "Oh, books for show," This was one of the more offensive comments I had heard in some time, but as she was a guest in my house (for the last time, I assure you), I just said, in as mild a voice as I could muster, "Well, actually, just about all of them have been read by one or the other of us."

These were not perfectly matched sets of anything, just a lot of books, paperbacks mixed in with hardcover, mostly history. Jeez, if I were trying to impress people, I'd have things like Sophocles in the original Greek, with clever notes in the margins.

Eventually the acquaintance moved to California, taking few, if any, books with her. We stayed in Williamsburg but moved to a bigger house in order to accommodate more books.

As for Precious Moments:

I know someone (much nicer than the aquaintance described above) who had a special glass case made so she could proudly display her precious moments collection in the living room.

Hummels are just as bad, IMHO. I loathe cutesy little statues of all kinds.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago we went to visit some sort-of-long-lost relatives in Northern Ireland. A nice couple, quietly religious - very into bracing outdoor walks and the like, but otherwise very pleasant and hospitable to us.

Their living room was frighteningly tidy and there was no music in evidence. There was a bookcase at the far side, but only 3 neat books on it. The rest of the space was taken up with statues of elongated shepherdesses and the occasional big-eyed puppy dog.

After chatting politely for some time, our host asked if we'd like him to put on a cd. Phew, we thought, now we'll find out what makes these people tick (and hopefully encounter a fruitful topic of conversation too, since there is only so much you can say about bracing walks without the spectre of having to go on one raising its ugly head).

Instead of opening a cupboard or producing a cd rack from another room, however, our host trotted over to the bookcase and brought back the 3 books. They weren't books at all, but pretend plastic book shaped covers disguising the only 3 cds in the house. And the choice was - Richard Clayderman, Hooked on Classics, or Dire Straits. Now I quite like Dire Straits, but it was Brothers In Arms and, really, even a good Dire Straits album wouldn't have made up for the other two. Even if the plastic fake books hadn't already moved things beyond the pale.

I'm sure you'll understand, we had to get the next ferry back to Scotland. What else could we do?

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During my childhood an aunt of mine travelled abroad frequently and every time, she brought me back a doll in national costume. It never seemed to register with her that , tomboy that I was, I never played with or showed the slightest interest in dolls. They all ended up wrapped in tissue paper in a bottom drawer and my mum eventually gave them back to her.

Nowadays they are displayed in a glass-fronted cabinet in her hallway, rows and rows of them staring glassily and giving me guilty pangs and shudders of revulsion every time I go and visit her.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Maybe they keep their books in a different room?

I don't think that there is a room in my house without a bookcase. Actually, I know that there is no place to put another bookcase.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am tasteful. Really. Why, I have held off buying something to put my toilet rolls in because I just can't find the right something.

I keep mine in a pine CD tower from MFI. After taking the plastic rack out of the middle, of course. And I can stand a plant on the top.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
I don't think that there is a room in my house without a bookcase.

OK, I'm wrong. Neither bathroom has a bookcase. Currently, there are no books in the bedroom bathroom. There are books in the main bathroom.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
I am tasteful. Really. Why, I have held off buying something to put my toilet rolls in because I just can't find the right something.

I keep mine in a pine CD tower from MFI.
Oh dear. I didn't even know you were supposed to have a thing to put your toilet rolls in. I always just pile spare ones on the floor beside the toilet.

[Eek!]

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have spending quite a lot of time lately designing bathrooms for clients. They can range from ultra modern sleek to gothick horror, although we do tend to let clients decide on fittings and I just advise on where the pipes go.
This is an example of what I'd call [Projectile] .

And also for the client who has everything I might choose one of these. [Eek!]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

I keep mine in a pine CD tower from MFI.
Oh dear. I didn't even know you were supposed to have a thing to put your toilet rolls in. I always just pile spare ones on the floor beside the toilet.

[Eek!]

With small boys in my house, that would end up as a pile of soggy toilet rolls! (Even with bigger boys, now.)

I went trawling through Google and came up with this as an example of what I've got - heavily modified to match coulour and lose the lace and embroidery (see middle picture). As I said, I also have a box for the rest of the pack of a dozen.

Whilst I was looking ...

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
Tank covers?!?!?

Isn't that what the books are for?

I mean, a lot of my books and magazines do wind up living on the toilet tank (just popped into the bathroom to take an inventory: Last month's Via, a Russian-English dictionary, a textbook on language diversity in the classroom, and the book I spent all last night looking for. Durf). They keep the dust off it quite nicely.

sooper-sekrit p.s. to dutchess: I would have made the jaunt most likely (as I'm a huge NB fan) if I had not been stuck here in Sacto taking a bloody useless final for aforementioned language diversity class.

Girl, you should have blown off that useless final for stupid diversity class. [Disappointed] There is no T in my name, but I forgive thee.

BTW, I will confess here, I love magazines so much and newspapers, I have a drawer next to my commode that I stick all the mags/news in for discreet viewing. Sad but true.

I have smelly candles too, plus dust collecting sea shells on dish...and weird big fish on tank.

Someday I may break down and get cabinet to go over that area, but probably not.

I needed to add, I put large 1000 sheet toilet rolls onto the toilet plunger. This means they are easy to find should company run out, plus they hide ugly toilet plunger. Very handy, I must say.

[needed to add one more thang]

[ 01. November 2004, 15:04: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
I have a drawer next to my commode that I stick all the mags/news in for discreet viewing.

I can so relate. I have a similar drawer next to my bed for magazines I wish to be discrete about.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
...And also for the client who has everything I might choose one of these. [Eek!]

What? No escape from the horrors of television even in the bath?

[Projectile]

We have books and CDs in every room and hallway of the house except the bathrooms. But it's easy enough to stumble over them on one's way there.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016