homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Geschmackvoll? I think not. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Geschmackvoll? I think not.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Whilst I was looking ...

[Killing me] At first glance I thought she was holding her nose! Now, that would really be tacky.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
This set is nice.

People just let themselves down in the small details. I mean, what could classify as a folkart toilet becomes merely a repository for surplus material from the Playschool Useful Box.

The pearls are crooked. The cistern-top mat is irregularly cut. And the leopard skin lid cover is rumpled.

People have no standards.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tasteful toilet brush holder is difficult to find.

However, help is on the way.

The craft bear and friends, Lion,
Moose, Mini floral loo.

I found this soap holder too. It apparently goes in this bathroom.

Total revamp of Altar bathroom now planned.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coot:
The pearls are crooked. The cistern-top mat is irregularly cut. And the leopard skin lid cover is rumpled.

Stop carping. It's supposed to look like that.

It's not its fault it didn't win the Turner Prize.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
I have a drawer next to my commode that I stick all the mags/news in for discreet viewing.

I can so relate. I have a similar drawer next to my bed for magazines I wish to be discrete about.
[Eek!]
[pedantry]

I'm shocked that you would wish to be separate and distinct from your magazines. Did you mean that you wish to be discreet? [Snigger]

[/pedantry]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Celsti
Shipmate
# 4523

- Posted      Profile for Celsti   Email Celsti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he means he's using his discretion. Thus the question is of noun/adjective choice rather than word choice, which is slightly less heinous and only warrants a small fine and five grammar demerit points. See me.

--------------------
Gunwog gumwam gore gadum, Nuda beiwud nadug, manedjare wengi, nuda ganmargmanbun. Mark 1:11, Gunwinggu.

Posts: 787 | From: the beyonderland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] [Overused]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Celsti
Shipmate
# 4523

- Posted      Profile for Celsti   Email Celsti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. I try. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Gunwog gumwam gore gadum, Nuda beiwud nadug, manedjare wengi, nuda ganmargmanbun. Mark 1:11, Gunwinggu.

Posts: 787 | From: the beyonderland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been pointed out to me privately that in the interest of full disclosure, lest I appear to be setting myself up as some sort of ghastly good taste maven, I should reveal I'm anxiously awaiting a set of penis refrigerator magnets currently winging their way towards me as a late birthday gift from another shipmate.

This shipmate, who has been in my house, kindly suggested I should also disclose the fact that there is not a flat surface in my house, either wall or table, not covered with something. (Mostly dust these days.)

There -- are you happy now? I wasn't trying to fool people. Really I wasn't.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do say that confession is good for the soul, Sine.

(Happy All Souls Day.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It has been pointed out to me privately that in the interest of full disclosure, lest I appear to be setting myself up as some sort of ghastly good taste maven, I should reveal I'm anxiously awaiting a set of penis refrigerator magnets currently winging their way towards me as a late birthday gift from another shipmate.

This shipmate, who has been in my house, kindly suggested I should also disclose the fact that there is not a flat surface in my house, either wall or table, not covered with something. (Mostly dust these days.)

There -- are you happy now? I wasn't trying to fool people. Really I wasn't.

Sine, darling, I didn't say any of that. All I said was that I thought it was funny that someone had asked you about tasteful tchotchkes. What with the refrigerator magnets and all your other lovely things. The rest was, apparently, your own guilty conscience.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I just wanted to brag on my refrigerator magnets.
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my great great aunt was in the old folks home, they used to knit/crochet covers for coat hangers while sitting around waiting for someone else to fall off the perch.

Get this. They used to cut up plastic bread bags into thin strips, and crochet that. A lovely recycled gift, perfect for those who vote Green.

I think Mrs Brains made me throw it out when I explained what it was made of. I do still have a coathanger momento from great great aunt, made before times got quite so tough.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a real "live" concrete aboriginal? I gave one to a friend for his 21st once. And yes, it was a joke.

Brains

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 1960s, I got roped into cutting drycleaners' plastic bags into long strips, making the strips into pom-poms, and tying the pom-poms onto frames made of wire coat hangers to form "pom-pom poodles". Truly ghastly, both in the process of being made and in their sales value (nil) at the church bazaar, er, bizarre. [Projectile]

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

"Tasteful" people can be tacky too.

I had occasion Monday evening to be at the home of a rich (3rd generation), recently deceased, prominent citizen of our city, expressing my condolences to his widow and children.

The family was receiving in the drawing room (yes, they actually have a "drawing room") and as I snaked my way through the line, I noticed a pair of 18th century chairs with decrepit needlework covering had ribbons tied across the arms so none of the hoi polloi would sit in them.

So I'm standing there thinking...who's going to flop down and get comfortable in the presence of the grieving widow anyway? Do they not trust the good manners of their supposed friends and business associates? Why didn't they just take the chairs out of the room for the evening? Did they want to be sure, sure, sure we all knew they had a pair of 18th century chairs? (Like, duh. Two chairs and about umpteen million dollars.)

After a suitable period of mourning I shall have to ask the daughter, who is my connection to the family, what the hell they were thinking.

(I must say the whole experience was such a cliche of Old South Old Money it probably deserves a thread of its own.)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: the OP - I once moved into an apartment where the previous tenant had put one of those blue cleaner things in the tank. I guess I'm passively common, because I didn't remove it. It was OK; I never had people over.

Anyway, it turned out to be helpful. My landlord (company) was really good about sending maintenance over right away, but sadly, the maintenance guy was just plain dumb. For example, when my self-defrosting freezer wasn't defrosting, he told me that you just have to manually defrost self-defrosting freezers every now and then. I knew that wasn't true so had them send a professional (GE guy) over who fixed it.

So back to my toilet. (How often is that said?) I had a leak from the tank - I noticed water on the floor. The maintenance guy tried to tell me it was only condensation. But... it was BLUE! If that blue tablet thing hadn't been in the tank, I don't think I would've thought of coloring the tank water to prove to the dumb maintenance guy that it was a leak and not condensation!

Of course, in later apartments I've had less responsive landlords and have had to resort to fixing things myself, thus bypassing any dumb maintenance guys the landlord may or may not have hired...

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
Coat hangers bedecked with ribbons and lavender bags - you know the type of thing.

Viola, my dear, I'm rather afraid that I don't.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're on about tackiness and toilets, what do people think of those acrylic loo seats that are transparent and have colourful items set into them? My sister's downstairs loo has one with 'licorice allsorts' in it - normally she has excellent taste, but I really think she's lost it with this one!! [Projectile]

Edited to add - wow my 999th post! i'd better think of something profound to say next time!! [Biased]

[ 24. November 2004, 16:13: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
While we're on about tackiness and toilets, what do people think of those acrylic loo seats that are transparent and have colourful items set into them?

My ex-wife has one with barbed wire in it.

--------------------
Ken

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yuk, I don't think I could bear to sit on that at all!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
Coat hangers bedecked with ribbons and lavender bags - you know the type of thing.

Ooh yes. Are we talking about the padded coathangers?

Any minute now someone will say that plastic and wire ones are tacky and you should only have real wood ones. They will have to be made of a certain kind of organic wood from non-endangered renewable forests with wholesome non-toxic CFC-free varnish, or be antique ones.

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I protest some Shipmates' "no books/magazines in the loo" policy.

Barbarism!

Every room in the house ought to have books, especially the loo. What a disfavor to your guests, to deprive them of necessary reading material and forcing them to gaze undivertedly at your taste in bathroom wall decor and sink top accoutremont.

The KenWritez household loo features a lovely view of the newly de-papered east wall sheetrock, with the newest Clive Cussler "Dirk Pitt" novel (beyond wretched), plus a book on surviving the Chicago Commodities Trading Pit as a Christian, and Cook's Illustrated "New Best Recipe" cookbook guarding the wife's bathroom scales from overzealous use.

Upon the sink counter we have some lovely stacks of Cook's Illustrated magazines, a Coldwater Creek catalog for the Sturdy Wench, novels by such lights as Terry Pratchett, Neal Stephenson, Richard Cohen, Martha Grimes, David & Leigh Eddings (this one in case we run out of t.p.), P. J. O'Rourke, Constance Hale, an American Sign Language dictionary, speech therapy textbook, as well as home improvement magazines and catalogs.

All of which allow our guests education, entertainment, (pray, even enlightenment!), as well as comfort and necessary diversion during what would otherwise be unavoidable periods of ennui.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Every room in the house ought to have books, especially the loo.

It's about germs. Who wants to read a book that's spent its life in close proximity to your toilet?

Also, more crucially, if you have to share a bathroom you don't want to encourage anyone else to spend any more time in there than is strictly necessary.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you really need that much reading material in the bathroom? Couldn't you just take Metamucil?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second the germs objection.

Although, an artist friend of mine used to have an old toaster as a book holder in his bathroom, and my first book of poetry was in it, and I took that as a compliment. [Smile] Hopefully no guests of his would come to associate my writing with any nasty toilet experiences they might have there, though. Let me re-phrase that: with any toilet experiences! [Snigger]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Do you really need that much reading material in the bathroom? Couldn't you just take Metamucil?

Dunno. What's the plot like? Are there any pictures?

--------------------
Ken

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um. If a non-reader in the toilet may enquire... do ppl reading in the toilet do same while waiting to... go, or is it more of a leisurely pit stop - read a few pages after you finish communing with nature?
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it's a matter of reading while going and then afterward for a few moments while the body makes its post-flight checks and ushers out any stragglers. After all, it's an automatic process and after about the age of 5 it's not that interesting. Hence, a distraction from the--excuse the expression--business at hand.

Germs oughtn't be an issue if you wash your hands with soap and water after each visit, as I was taught to do, and you don't store the books immediately adjacent to the commode; they're on the counter, a few feet away.

RuthW, it's not a question of reading material quantity but diversity, something I thought a card-carrying liberal such as yourself would appreciate. [Biased]

Really, it's not that big a deal.

[ 25. November 2004, 03:30: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Tasteful" people can be tacky too.

Yes, indeed. Two examples (of a more earthy nature) come to mind:
  • The perfectly spotless bathroom in the perfectly spotless apartment of a newlywed friend, whose wife had set a large can of air freshener spray in a fancy glass coaster on top of the toilet tank.
  • The "pom-pom poodle" bottle cover. When my family lived in Iowa in the mid-1950s, the state was dry, or at least had very restrictive liquor laws, and if you wanted a drink in a restaurant you had to B.Y.O. So the ladies would knit or crochet these little poodles that would fit over a bottle of booze, and people would actually carry these when they went out. Like no one would guess what you were holding.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Germs oughtn't be an issue if you wash your hands with soap and water after each visit, as I was taught to do, and you don't store the books immediately adjacent to the commode; they're on the counter, a few feet away.

We're almost all brought up to do that but in practice not everyone does.

Combine that with the habit that some other people have of licking their fingers each time they want to turn over a page and it all starts looking fairly unsavoury. I sometimes wonder about just how many hands (and mouths) a library book has passed through.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Any minute now someone will say that plastic and wire ones are tacky and you should only have real wood ones.

At the risk of sounding like you-know-who, what on earth would you hang on wire hangers except dress shirts back from the laundry?

Trousers go on slack hangers so they hang straight. Jackets and coats must be on wooden or molded plastic hangers so the padding in the shoulders doesn't get screwed up. Sweaters shouldn't be hung at all.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would one hang this on?

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I think it needs to be stored horizontally on a shelf, much like the late Queen Mary's beaded court gowns.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
What would one hang this on?

Speaking of 'not geschmackvoll'...

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016