homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Dead Horses: The pathetically DISHONEST and false analogy with pork and shellfish (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dead Horses: The pathetically DISHONEST and false analogy with pork and shellfish
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to reply to a post so honest and so genuine.

I think the only thing I can say is that we all have to make our own decisions and choose our own valid paths.

You chose one which is valid and life-affirming for you. Others will find their own individual answers as to how to go forward - how to walk their paths.

You choose the beautiful and appropriate word 'brokeness'. I do not agree with you that homosexuality is a sin - but I agree with you that sin is brokeness.

I don't know about people who come from homes and families which have never been 'broken'. I can only speak from my own experience of having come from a family where alcohol abuse and violence caused so much damage.

When I went to university I met for the first time openly gay and lesbian people. As someone who had been abused myself, I identified at once with the way they were persecuted.

Because I was open to hearing the experiences of others, I quickly developed good friendships with people of different sexual orientations to my own. I found many non-judgemental and loving gay and lesbian friends (as well as all my straight ones) whose willingness to listen to and accept me was a great gift. And that let me see that there was no real difference between my friends and me, except that we fancied different people (or in the case of the blokes - fancied the same people!).

Now I can get very passionate and very strident about what see as prejudice against gay and lesbian people. Partly because I identify with my friends who I love. Partly because understanding what it's like to be victimised myself I won't tolerate that being done to others, and mostly because I know people of different sexual orientations close up and I don't see how my heterosexuality is one whit better or worse than their sexualities.

Most of my gay and bisexual friends come from much happier family backgrounds than me (and I had a parent configuration just like the one you mentioned). Yet they're not heterosexual and I am. I don't think family background is the key decider.

You see, I think it is possible to come from similar places and find different answers. You found your answer - for someone else it could be entirely different even though they might experience some similar things to you.

At the time I first encountered other sexualities I wasn't a Christian. So biblical views of same-sex relationships didn't influence me. In fact part of what kept me away from Christianity was that the form of Christianity I encountered in my hall of residence (there was quite a CU clique there) was SO judgemental.

If you're not one of us - if you don't believe what we say - you're an inferior person - was the way it came across. I got harangued by one very nasty evangelical Christian simply because I didn't believe in God - having come through the circumstances I had come through, i had totally lost my faith, but he thought haranguing me about why I didn't have all the answers he trotted out with total certainty was the way to go!

By comparison the gay and lesbian people I met tended to be more open and loving and accepting. People I could really open up to (and nobody came on to me - maybe my Lesbian pals just never fancied me! If they had I would just have said no - sorry - don't fancy you! Can we just be friends?)

It was several years later on in my life that I had a most extraordinary experience of feeling loved which worked out into my faith in God. I was so far estranged from Christianity because I saw it as a such a judgemental and harmful and useless faith that it took me a long time to work that through - and that came through the realisation that much of what I heard in churches testified to that same incredible love which I'd just experienced and that worship was what fed that love.

It is against that love that I test out interpretations of the Bible. I don't believe that Jesus loves my gay and lesbian and Bi mates any less than he loves me - whether they're having sex or not or whether I'm having sex or not. I don't think that's what it's about.

I know enough about pre-modern societies to know that the way they thought about sexuality was influenced by their beliefs about passive and active partners and about social and sexual hierarchy and then later by interpretations of the Bible which were heavily influenced by and soured by a hatred and fear of sexuality.

Therefore I would no more apply 1st century ideas of sexuality to my life or those of others than I would 1st century medicine. But the message of the primacy of love which I find in Jesus's summation of his priorities and in his teaching is something which I believe is eternal. This is something I experience and through my contact with it I try to bring it to others.

There, Stowaway, that's my different story. Make of it what you will.

God bless (and much respect to you),

Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Sexuality and its (relative) sinfulness seems to come up quite a lot on the boards. What mystifies me is why anyone cares. Presumably the sinfulness of (homo)sexuality is only of relevent interest to the (homo)sexual person? If one is not participating in, or thinking about participating in homosexual acts, why would one care about its sinfulness except to judge participants? (I am not excluding the possibility that there may be a very good reason I haven't thought of).

Am I being far too hard to observe that it seems like rank prurience (to me) to speculate on the sinfulness of the (espeically sexual) behaviour of others?

All the more so because I don't see threads devoted to the sinfulness of, oh, say blasphemy, or hating one's neighbour, or the witholding of charity.

Can anybody help me to see why this question is interesting enough to crop up so often?

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the big problem with 'sexual sin' is that it has a 'spiritual' dimension. I take the 'And the two shall become one flesh..' bit seriously, seeing the sex act as not being merely a physical joining. (This makes promiscuity in particular a potentially damaging thing to engage in).

I think that, if/when you become aware that there IS sin (as part, maybe, of the process of becoming a Christian), few sins rival 'sexual' ones for leaving you feeling 'unclean', because you've engaged your whole self in the said act(s).

And I think that, along with many other prohibitions, the reason God prohibits is for our own good. God knows, and has always known, that sexual behaviour is an effective means of transmittinng disease. Whether this was syphilis in Mediaeval times or AIDS in recent times, God would rather we were not putting ourselves at risk by our behaviour. But I think the 'spiritual' harm resulting from being joined together with someone you weren't married to might be of even greater concern to Our Heavenly Father.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point HT, I'm also a bit fed up with how much sexuality appears in threads on these boards. Sometimes it's inevitable given that, for example, the question is apparently fuelling schismatic tendancies in some churches which is a subject worth discussing here.

In terms of relative sinfullness I'm much more worried by things like the assumptions behind international trade that contribute to maintaining the abject poverty and economic slavery of a large proportion of the worlds population than what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes.

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contributors to these boards are PROBABLY in agreement that international trading structures/systems are in need of massive reform. The boards are fora for dispute/disagreements to be addressed, so will tend to see 'unresolved' issues like sexual sin being addressed.

As a result of promiscuous sexual behaviour, AIDS is an enormous cause of death in precisely those poorer countries you are concerned about. Across Africa in particular, and increasingly across Asia, there are hundreds of thousand of orphans due to that disease. Whilst capitalism (particularly multinational pharmaceutical companies) can be blamed for not dealing at all adequately with this crisis, and even exacerbating it, it ultimately spreads due to sexual behaviour that is 'sinful'. I would therefore suggest it is still a very important thing for Christians to talk about sexual sin.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry if i misunderstood and came across as dismissive, Stowaway. I was being rather flip, probably because I didn't understand your point. Thanks for your personal story, it was very brave.

Like Louise, I have quite a lot of gay and lesbian friends, some of whom are active members of my Quaker meeting. I can't say that they're any different to anyone else in the rest of their lives.

Like Hooker's Trick and others, I confess to being baffled by how much time people give to this issue. I would have thought, Alaric, that all sin has a strong spiritual dimension. Anything which divides us from each other also divides us from God: so international trade is as spiritual as sexual sin in its implications.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
As a result of promiscuous sexual behaviour, AIDS is an enormous cause of death in precisely those poorer countries you are concerned about.

Agreed. However, in many cases the blame for the promiscuous behaviour can be laid at the economic situation caused by international trade systems. When in abject poverty can a womans choice (against all her moral convictions) to become a prostitute to earn money to feed her family be considered a sin? Or when men are forced to work hundreds or thousands of miles from their families for months on end, are they sinning if they take advantage of the service offered by local prostitutes? Or indeed in the absence of any women in the vicinity of the mine (or wherever) if they engage in homosexual activity? There is sin in such situations, but the particulars of sexual activity is the least of the sin.

And, it should go without saying but I want to be clear, there is a big difference between such situations where circumstances (to an extent) force people into less than perfect sexual activity and the situations most of us face in the developed world. (Although the desperate search for meaning and love of some people in deprived urban areas comes close). Whether economically well off people in the developed world freely choose to practice homosexual acts inthe privacy of their own homes is a totally different situation.

Alan

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

And, it should go without saying but I want to be clear, there is a big difference between such situations where circumstances (to an extent) force people into less than perfect sexual activity and the situations most of us face in the developed world. (Although the desperate search for meaning and love of some people in deprived urban areas comes close). Whether economically well off people in the developed world freely choose to practice homosexual acts inthe privacy of their own homes is a totally different situation.

That sounds to me very much like one rule for the rich and one for the poor, Alan. This is why many priests in Africa are much more conservative about sexual morals than the generality of western clergy.

Surely we must ask ourselves whether we, as christians, can, in conscience, preach two different messages to the developed and the developing world.

We, rightly, condemn Pres. Bush's approach on the Kyoto accord, but are we not replicating that attitude in the area of sexual morals?

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Steve,

What I was trying to say, obviously not that clearly, is that since a lot of "sexual immorality" in developing nations is a result of greater injustices due to factors including international trade we shouldn't be so hard on the sexual immorality until the greater injustice has been dealt with.

And then I added that the differences in circumstances between developed & developing countries is such that the moral rules suitable to one may not automatically apply to the other.

Any clearer?

Alan

--------------------

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

What I was trying to say, obviously not that clearly, is that since a lot of "sexual immorality" in developing nations is a result of greater injustices due to factors including international trade we shouldn't be so hard on the sexual immorality until the greater injustice has been dealt with.

I can see the arguement in this and agree that we should look to our own treatment of the developing world before condemning them for "immorality". Although how we do this after a history of colonialism which has left them, understandably, wary of "western" influences and interference is a very difficult dilemma.

quote:
And then I added that the differences in circumstances between developed & developing countries is such that the moral rules suitable to one may not automatically apply to the other.

This, however, I firmly disagree with. One Church, one faith, one Lord and one set of teaching. If we accept that there can be a different moral code between the developed world and the developing nations then we tacitly accept that the developing nations are different (read: lesser, more immature, etc.) people. This is the same thought process which led to apartheid. We must not even start to think this way.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I'm probably not still being clear. I'm not advocating a different moral code, although probably the emphasis may be different. What I am trying to say is that the way we respond to people involved in immoral activity (not just sexual, but also things like economic immorality) will depend on the situation.
Just as an example, women who get involved in prostitution because they see it's the only way to support their families must be treated differently from women who do it just for kicks (if such women exist). Before condemning the first woman for her sexual immorality we must first do something about the economic situation that forces her into the desperation of taking up prostitution in the first place, and provide her with a better source of income to support her family.

Alan

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Oh yes, and the developing nations are different. Not because of any inherent inferiority of their people and culture, but because of the political and economic colonialism of governments and companies in developed countries. Which is something we need to repent of; which means doing what is necessary to restore their position in the world as nations of equal worth to other nations, whos' people are treated with the dignity their common humanity deserves.

My example of the prostitute in my last post could equally apply in inner city areas in the developed world. And our need to repent and deal with the internal economics of our own countries to deal with this inequality is also something we need to look at.

All of which takes hard work, and may be all but impossible. And I'm as bad as most people in actually doing anything other than spout fine sounding ideas.

Alan

--------------------

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

Just typed a long post saying much the same as your second post (with which it would have crossed) and then lost it

Essentially we are coming from the same place Alan. The difference between our approach to the developed and developing nations should be one of emphasis and not of the underlying teaching. Meanwhile we must do all we can to bring the developing world to the level of prosperity that most of us enjoy in the developed world.

Going back to the previous question, though, we can see why the church in the developing world has a hang-up with sex but it is much harder to see why it has been such a problem for the western church over the past century or two (or 20).

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
stowaway, your comparison is an insult to alcoholics because of your underlying assumption that homosexuality is a sin. alcoholism is NOT a sin. alcoholics commit sins as a result of their condition, but alcoholism is NOT a sin, it is a disease, and recognized as such by the american medical association. to call it a sin is to inflict a horrible burden on those people who are already struggling with guilt and feelings of self-loathing to the point of active or passive suicide.

you decided NOT to be a homosexual. i submit that if you were capable of making a choice in the matter than you prove my point. every homosexual that i have known has said that they had NO choice in the matter at all, that they KNEW they were homosexual at a very early age.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
you decided NOT to be a homosexual. i submit that if you were capable of making a choice in the matter than you prove my point. every homosexual that i have known has said that they had NO choice in the matter at all, that they KNEW they were homosexual at a very early age

That sounds unfair to those people who are not sure of their sexual orienation. What about bi-sexual people? I suspect that there are degrees of sexual orientation from 100% hetro at one end and 100% homo at the other, with most people spread somewhere along the line.

Astro

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
astro, oh i agree, but thats not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about those who are fully homosexual, who struggle as they sometimes have, can't "change" over to desiring the opposite sex... we're all capable of enjoying sex with someone of the same sex, i believe, and doing it or not is, of course, a choice. but we also all have a primary attraction (although i suppose there may be a percentage of true bisexuals who really are equally attracted to both sexes) and that does not seem to be mutable, and it does seem to be established at a very early age.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A story:

An older, never-married woman went to a revival meeting. The guest preacher was very tough on sinners, and she called out "Amen!" and "Preach it, brother!" many times as he condemned sexual sins, drunkenness, gambling, and immodest clothing. Then he began to talk about the evils of chewing tobacco.

"Ah, now he's stopped preaching and started meddling," she muttered to her neighbor, and left.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like it, Nancy!
quote:
This, however, I firmly disagree with. One Church, one faith, one Lord and one set of teaching.

So what do we say to the extra wives in polygamous societies, for example?

I'm sorry but I CANNOT see the world in such black and white terms. Yes, I agree, there is far too much emphasis on sexual issues BUT mightn't that be that a lot of us have woken up in the last decade to love and tolerance?

I've been celibate for about 5 or 6 years now - can't remember! - but isn't that sinful if you're married??

Not that easy, not that easy... Let's err on the side of love; because I don't recall any call to judge others anywhere. Perhaps letting THEM worry about it, as someone said earlier, is the best way?

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is it true that you can write to the pope if you have not had sex for over five years and get your virginity back ? he sends you a certificate of " hymen intactus ", anyway thats what i was told

on another tack i sometimes wonder if god were a "sin bean counter" how what people do ( or dont do ) with their gentails stacks up against ......... well wasting hundreds of pounds on computer equipment, ISP membership, phone bills and then theres all the time just sat here trying to find something funny to say ( and failing), when really ishould be well clothing the cold, visiting the prisoners, feeding the hungry,

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

quote:
Originally posted by Gill:

So what do we say to the extra wives in polygamous societies, for example?

But are we not being hypocritical if we support the prosecution of an American for bigamy (polygamy in the recent case) but say that it is all right for an African since it is part of his culture. Yes, we must support the extra wives and ensure that they are not rejected by society, but we can't have two codes since to do so would be to tacitly agree with J.S. Spong that the Africans are somehow more "primitive" than the West (read: of less worth)

[fixed code]

[ 29 June 2001: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stowaway, maybe the "something that held you back" was that you are straight? You were being tempted to pursue something against your nature. If you were gay, you might have felt differently. Also, I would think any gay person worth his/her salt would try to give a young man struggling with his sexuality, esp one with a history such as yours, encouragement that God would love them whatever they figured out, and that either outcome is fine. NOT try to tell them what the outcome should be. Just my opinion.

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
brodavid
Shipmate
# 460

- Posted      Profile for brodavid   Author's homepage   Email brodavid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Presumably the sinfulness of (homo)sexuality is only of relevent interest to the (homo)sexual person? If one is not participating in, or thinking about participating in homosexual acts, why would one care about its sinfulness except to judge participants?

The issue of whether or not homosexuality is sinful is quite relevant to me, even though I am quite heterosexual. I'm not so concerned with what consenting adults do in private, unless they choose to discuss their spiritual life with me, but I am VERY concerned with those who militantly set out to alter the culture so that their sinful lifestyle will be readily accepted. The only way for them to do that is to desensitze the culture to sin in general, which in turn weakens the culture as a whole.

In Christian circles, there is also the issue of biblical authority. If Christians as a whole approve of something which the Bible so clearly denounces, then where do we stop rejecting biblical standards, and what truth do we have to stand upon?

--------------------
Brodavid

"Prayer can do anything that God can do."
- E.M. Bounds

Posts: 702 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But are we not being hypocritical if we support the prosecution of an American for bigamy (polygamy in the recent case) but say that it is all right for an African since it is part of his culture.
But in England it's legal for people of 18 to drink and it's part of our culture! However they know they'd be prosecuted for it in America.

Yes, we must support the extra wives and ensure that they are not rejected by society, but we can't have two codes...
So how do we support them then???

No, you can't make it black and white whatever you do.

--------------------

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brodavid:

The issue of whether or not homosexuality is sinful is quite relevant to me, even though I am quite heterosexual.

How is your orientation relevant?

I'm not so concerned with what consenting adults do in private, unless they choose to discuss their spiritual life with me, but I am VERY concerned with those who militantly set out to alter the culture so that their sinful lifestyle will be readily accepted.

To refer here to a lifestyle is both dismissive and insulting. It is my life. To refer to it as a lifestyle implies one choses to be homosexual. Rather than being on a par with heterosexuality, it instead drops it to the level of other lifestyle choices such as vegetarianism, smoking, or (and this will be expanded on later) Christianity.
And damn right but we demand acceptance. We demand to be treated equally. We shouldn't be at risk of losing our jobs because our preferred partner is of the same gender. We shouldn't be barred from military service if that is our choice of career. We shouldn't be prevented from making medical decisions should our partners be unable to make those decisions themselves. We shouldn't be barred from seeing our partners as they are dying, because only heterosexual spouses and biological relatives are admitted. We shoulnd't have to risk being tied to a fence and beaten and abused and left to die in the cold, dark night--just because we aren't straight.

The only way for them to do that is to desensitze the culture to sin in general, which in turn weakens the culture as a whole.

I just double checked. You're from the US also. So you should also be aware that the US is Constitutionally a secular nation. And in actuality, although Christians are still the majority, there are an awful lot of folks here these days who aren't Christian. And whose views on sin are very different from yours. And yet here you are imposing your personal religious values on the culture as a whole. In fact, you are imposing your very own lifestyle (ie Christianity) on the rest of the culture.
And, btw, how about some evidence for these two assertions please? You're making claims--back them up.

In Christian circles, there is also the issue of biblical authority. If Christians as a whole approve of something which the Bible so clearly denounces, then where do we stop rejecting biblical standards, and what truth do we have to stand upon?

5 verses, I believe it is. Only 5. Less if we discard Leviticus--which we do for the rest of modern Christian life. And the remainder are contained in Paul's letters to particular groups about particular situations they were dealing with. And bear in mind, we no longer accept Paul's views on slavery. Nor, for the most part, do most Christians accept his views on the role of women in the church or family life.

I'd planned on staying out of this particular discussion. But when I see this kind of crap posted, I can't help but respond.
This is exactly the mindset that cries "No special rights" whenever an attempt is made to require equal treatment for all... gay or straight. If being spit on, beaten up, fired, etc are special rights too, I'll gladly share them with you.

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

Siegfried - hugs...

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

hugs from me too, sieg.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly speaking...

Just a reminder that discussions of homosexuality have previously led to much dissension and pain on the Ship -- please continue to handle with care.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and at the risk of sounding sexist,Gill's and Nicole's responses have made this heterosexual insanely jealous of Siegfried(!)
After such an eloquent post it is indeed difficult to know how to respond;but, Siegfried, if some of the things you mentioned have happened to you then you have my sympathy indeed....
Take care.....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Siegfried - at the risk of making stephen jealous even more - hugs from me too.

Maybe, just maybe, by getting society desensitized to what is dubiously and questionably a sin, we can concentrate on the log in our collective eyes. Like those who seek to make peace - for they shall be called the children of God, like those who mourn, for they shall be comforted, those who are poor in spirit...

There is far more about poverty in the gospels than about sexuality. There is more about preaching God's love for all his children, than there is about sexuality.

Which is more important - loving all God's children, or condemning them on dubious grounds, because we can't face up to our own iniquities.

Love
Angel

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

quote:
...and at the risk of sounding sexist,Gill's and Nicole's responses have made this heterosexual insanely jealous of Siegfried(!)

Aaaaaw Stephen - that's about the nicest thing anyone's said to me this century!

Hugs to you too...

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been a way for a bit and at the start of this thread Gill said

quote:
Brothers I can find. But can anyone else find proof that we are supposed to see the church as 'family' - from the Bible, I mean, not the ironic,

the church is never described as a family in the sense of mother father 2.3 children ect but it is described as a household (eph 2:19) which was the bunch of people who lived in the same house a kind of extended family (mother, father, cousin uncle slave servant children ect). In some translations the word family is used instead of household because it is closer to our experience. Still I think Family is a naff word to use about the church.

In the area of sexuality the reason it is made into a big deal is that when it comes to leadership in a church on one side it would seem to be inconsistant for them to have a leader who was in their view living a life of sin (like being openingly adulterous) whilst on the other side of the debate there is no problem.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Still I think Family is a naff word to use about the church.

Okay so now I finally understand the meaning of the word "naff"!

And you're dead right, too. When we were drafting our church's mission statement some years ago, I fought long and hard for the word "community" instead of "family" to describe the parish.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

indeed stephen, you've made my day too... hugs to you too!

--------------------

ElGabilon
Apprentice
# 634

- Posted      Profile for ElGabilon         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I don't want to belong to any club that won't have me as a member". Speaking for ourself, "we don't want to belong to any club whether they would or wouldn't have us as a member!" When one studies "clubs" "organizations" etc., one finds that there are those who agree with the thoughts of the clubs, and those who do not agree with them. Thus we have the start of enemies, conflageration, war, hate, etc. Then one finds within the club the power seekers, and may Allah help those who disagree with the power structure. More energy is wasted just trying to fit in than is used for the purposes the club was originally set up for.

As for the bible, we consider it a history of the Jewish people, at least the old testament. Bible thumpers seldom mention the fact that there are many "books" that were left out of the bible. By comparing the old testament of the jewish religion, with the catholic, and both with the protestant, one finds differences. We consider it an insult to the Divine to credit It as "His Word". If It is that bad off in clarifying what It wants done, we are better off without It!

Fundamentalists to us are people who having lost their way in the secular world, needing something to lean upon, cast their lot with something that can only be described as insane. The "wonders" spoken of in the bible are myths and metaphors designed to make a point. Most Christians miss the point.

That is: There is only one God. Everything else is speculation and even that can be considered speculation as well.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen--
Fortunately, I've been blessed and not personally experienced any of that myself. I do have friends however who have.
Gill/Nicole/Angel--
Thanks! *HUG*

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....[ a much mollified Stephen]...well thanks very much, both!
Siegfried....if things like that have happened to your friends it is indeed shocking.Whatever one's views of homosexuality,nobody should have to endure that sort of - well -abuse.There's no other word for it, is there?
But I think you're amongst friends here....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stowaway:

A while back, you posted the following:
"Homosexual sexuality is not hetero but towards same sex. It is a
disfunction (i.e. sin). We should regard it just like other addictions."

In spite of the unsupported and probably unsupportable premises, the tolal illogic and the labyrinthine circularity of your argument, I'll hypothetically accept your conslusion. Assuming that homosexual love is "just like other addictions", it is absolutely none of of our business (aside from prayer) as Christians, unless the addict seeks help!
I think the most un-Christian thing to do is to cast pejoratives at him or her.

Additionally, I'm shocked beyond words that anyone would equate disfunction with sin.

Greta

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remain shocked at how much interest seems to revolve around what other people do with their genitals in private.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
H.T.

Indeed! To use Stowaway's argument, such self-righteous meddlesomeness serves no useful purpose; ergo it is disfunctional (i.e. a sin), and its practitioners are addicts.

Greta

Allan S
Apprentice
# 386

- Posted      Profile for Allan S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been watching with interest, this debate on analogies and sexual sin but I have deliberately remained quiet for some time because I don't always think that it is helpful to argue about the rights and wrongs of a thing.

However, one thing that disturbs me is that some people think that disagreeing with a person or with what they do is judgemental, condemning, or unloving and that other peoples lives are there business and no-one elses. Whilst I accept that ones motivation for correcting or expressing disapproval can sometimes be wrong and driven by self-righteousness I also whole-heartedly defend the right for a person to disagree, especially when that person has been offended and seeks to be reconciled with the one who offended him.

If I am convinced that something is a sin (and I am not refering to any one sin in particular) and if I believe that the sin is damaging a person and keeping them apart from God, as it can to anyone - especially those in denial, then the loving thing to do is to discourage the sinful behaviour.

An often quoted passage of scripture is where Jesus says, with regard to an adulterous woman, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." It is well-worth emphasisng that Jesus forgave the woman and protected her from the condemnation and judgement of others, but we often overlook the fact that he also said afterwards "Sin no more". This was not just a token of consolation to those self-righteous witnesses, it was a positive assertion in recogntion of the fact that what she did was sinful and needed to be avoided for her own good. Jesus may not have argued at great length over theoligical issues but that is not to say that he was indifferent. He loved people too much to be indifferent.

Hate the sin, love the sinner. It might be an annoying phrase but it still remains an accurate description of what God always does.

--------------------
Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

Proverbs 9:7-9

Posts: 27 | From: Essex, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Why focus on any "one sin" or any minor group of "sins," e.g., "sin" in sexual matters?

Is your own life so sinless, and is there so little obviously destructive sin, (like racism, violence, failure to love one's neighbor as oneself) abounding that is essential to deal with matters on which there is no consensus as to sinfulness among even orthodox Christians?

Even if the really destructive sins are eliminated, wouldn't sheer clarity and quantity of Scripture, dictate priority to a crusade for Sabbath observance for example? WHY is there this obsession among most fundamentalist Christians with something which seems, from a Gospel standpoint, to be so minor?

It even seems to be a litums test. You can be consumed by hatred, greed, vanity, envy, self-righteousness, ad nauseum, but as long as you do not love someone of the same sex, you are numbered with the redeemed.

Greta

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

To be fair, I must admit that the fundamentalist concern with homosexuality is rather new-found. In the 1950's for example the big sins in the eyes of fundamentalists were dancing, jazz and rock and roll nusic, movie attendance, shopping or attending a sporting event on Sunday, women's cosmetics and short hair, playing cards and games of chance, playing a lottery, owning or viewing a television. This is not fabrication. Ask the older people in any fundamentalist church. How is it that I now see fundamentalists blithly engaging in all these activities, and the pulpits in these churches are completely silent as to these "sins"?

Greta

Lioba
Shipmate
# 42

- Posted      Profile for Lioba   Email Lioba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How is it that I now see fundamentalists blithly engaging in all these activities, and the pulpits in these churches are completely silent as to these "sins"?

Because Christians do everything 20 years later than the rest of society, and fundamentalist Christians need about 40 years to catch up.

Abo

--------------------
Conversion is a life-long process.

Posts: 502 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

there is an almost pathological quality about the hatred expressed towards homosexuals that you just don't see in regards to other behaviors considered sinful. as proof, i offer the thread so recently deleted that caused so much trouble.

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

I do want to add that I do not feel that fundamentalists are a bunch of bad guys. I have known lots of fundamentalsits and many, many of them are really good and decent people, filled with genuine Christian love.

However, their "party line" often perplexes and troubles me. Many fundamentalists share my concerns, and feel forced to quietly ignore these teachings.

Greta

Gill
Shipmate
# 102

(Are they fundamentalists, then? I would have thought a definition might include following the party line - please feel fre to correct me on that!)

--------------------

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, let's hear it for the fundamentalists!

Let's come to them in loving tolerance
rather than in hellish judgement.

Astro

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
Stowaway:

A while back, you posted the following:
"Homosexual sexuality is not hetero but towards same sex. It is a
disfunction (i.e. sin). We should regard it just like other addictions."

In spite of the unsupported and probably unsupportable premises, the tolal illogic and the labyrinthine circularity of your argument, I'll hypothetically accept your conslusion. Assuming that homosexual love is "just like other addictions", it is absolutely none of of our business (aside from prayer) as Christians, unless the addict seeks help!
I think the most un-Christian thing to do is to cast pejoratives at him or her.

Additionally, I'm shocked beyond words that anyone would equate disfunction with sin.

Greta

Greta,

Where did I say that we should intefere?

When did I cast perjoratives?

If you read my story you would be clear that I am living in the most fragile of glass houses on this and almost every other subject.

If you do a study on sin you will find that it is not simply a deliberate volitional crossing of a deliberate line. It includes such nebulous concepts as missing a target. Sanctification is a process of growing akin in modern terms to the changes achieved by therapy.

Please do not turn me into your image of an angry moralist and then attack that. I am not that. Read all of my posts on this subject and reply to what I do say and not to what you think I am really saying.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I am replying, let me also reply to the others who responded to me.

First, my thanks to Louise and Gill who were able to understand what I was saying (and what my true attitude is, I hope). Louise, I have had a similar experience of acceptance amongst gay people to the one you describe.

I put my neck on the line at a church
I attended in Manchester when I challenged the elders about a campaign to stop the building of a gay centre. I was disgusted by their attitude and left shortly afterwards (for a variety of reasons). I have to this day openly practising gay christian friends. I have experienced God bringing sexual wholeness to me, but I recognise that he did it in his own time when I was ready to hear it.

nicolemrw,

About alcoholism. I guess that in saying that alcoholism is a disease you are thinking of three aspects.

• A genetic pre-disposition to alcoholism
  • A dependency that is best treated by drugs
  • A disfunction that requires counselling help

If that is the case (and please tell me if it is) then I do not disagree. I just believe that God is involved in the healing and that he is able to bring truth to the individual that helps them to transform. I use the word "sin" in the wide sense used by the bible and not in a moralistic sense. If we are slaves to something should I call it sin? Maybe I need to modify my language to avoid misunderstanding, or maybe we need to recover the full spectrum of the concept of sin.

As far as homosexuality is concerned you certainly do not seem to think that my experience is valid, or that of others I could mention. I assume that you feel that you feel that you are strenuously defending the victims in this debate. In doing so, you attack.

I have no problem with people choosing (or not choosing, because they had no choice if you will) to be gay. I only wish to serve those who have genuine doubts and guilt about sexuality and to point to the fact that there is help in God which does not have to be the standard answers of our society.

If I thought there were no answers I would keep silent and take the PC line. If there is no power of God for sexual wholeness the PC line would be the only christian one to take.

I set my mind on servanthood. Not control and not anger.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Am I correct in assuming that 'Sexual Wholeness' here means heterosexual?

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016