homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Curse you, Girl Scouts of America (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Curse you, Girl Scouts of America
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Okay, sophs gets the third box! Who wants the fourth?

Ooh, yes please, yes please, yes please!
Done. That's it, folks -- you'll have to beg Maleveque et al if you want any others!

[ 10. March 2005, 16:59: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
I'm seeing Laura passed out face-up on the floor in her power suit

You know you've read/seen too much SF/fantasy when... the first image in your head is Laura in some kind of futuristic armor. You know, a "power suit," probably with some kind of force field, or plasma beam guns, or something like that.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Can you imagine the uniforms? [Eek!] [Eek!]

I couldn't before you said that, curse you [Mad]

Here you go.

I first encountered UK Girl Guides in the pages of ... yes, really! C.S. Lewis, who'd mentioned Jill Pole being a Guide once, and at the time I didn't know he meant something like a Girl Scout.

By the way, am I the only one who wants to make a pun out of "Tagalong" and "Tagalog"?

... thought so. Oh well.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
I'm seeing Laura passed out face-up on the floor in her power suit

You know you've read/seen too much SF/fantasy when... the first image in your head is Laura in some kind of futuristic armor. You know, a "power suit," probably with some kind of force field, or plasma beam guns, or something like that.
I'm seeing something like the Vicar of Dibley passed out surrounded by Crunchie wrappers. Fortunately, there is not a photo on the web to link to.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Padingtun Bear.

Bear of Very Little Brain
# 3935

- Posted      Profile for Padingtun Bear.   Email Padingtun Bear.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'know, you US lot really are most generous - the concerted pressure campaign we instigated didn't really even get going... I'll stand down Phase 2 ( Pleading and weeping [Biased] ).

I was a Girl Guide in the UK, and we never got to do anything worth writing home about - it was all newspaper hockey sticks and making small marzipan fruits. [Snore] . A bit Jill Pole, really - before the adventure!

Cheers all! P. B.

--------------------
Shameless publicity for a great new book:
A voice from the fringe

Posts: 961 | From: South Oxfordshire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

- Posted      Profile for Go Anne Go   Author's homepage   Email Go Anne Go   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, sophs gets the third box! Who wants the fourth?

If it is Thin Mints, I am *completely* shameless enough to mention that I'm going into the hospital on Monday for two weeks and will be surving only on hospital food unless Thin Mints are dispatched to my door................

Cough, cough, I think I might be dying...... [Razz]

--------------------
Go Anne Go, you is the bestest shipmate evah - Kelly Alveswww.goannego.com

Posts: 2227 | From: Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

- Posted      Profile for Go Anne Go   Author's homepage   Email Go Anne Go   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and for those of you who don't know Girl Scouts, but DO own a freezer.......

It is "light" ice cream. Hee hee.

[ 11. March 2005, 01:22: Message edited by: Go Anne Go ]

--------------------
Go Anne Go, you is the bestest shipmate evah - Kelly Alveswww.goannego.com

Posts: 2227 | From: Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like the appropriate place to announce I've just finished 7.2 oz (206g) worth of Pepperidge Farm "Sausalitos". You know, the single-serving pack.

This was after meatloaf, mac & cheese, and a green salad.

I don't feel so good.

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe you should lay off the green salads, Sine.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good suggestion. I'm sure the macadamia nuts in the Sausalitos provide sufficient roughage.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Oh dear. A quick perusal of the Nutrition Facts reveals that although I appear to have eaten eight servings in a single sitting I have ingested no dietary fiber.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
This seems like the appropriate place to announce I've just finished 7.2 oz (206g) worth of Pepperidge Farm "Sausalitos". You know, the single-serving pack.

This was after meatloaf, mac & cheese, and a green salad.

I don't feel so good.

Now there's an argument in favour of dating.

No one pigs out like that on a date. Certainly not on a first date unless it is a BBQ.

-

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sewanee_angel
Shipmate
# 2908

- Posted      Profile for sewanee_angel   Email sewanee_angel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

It is the Milanos that I can't stop eating. It has gotten to the point that I don't even allow myself to buy them. I have better self control at someone else's house, even my mother's. I'll only eat half of a container's worth of cookies not the entire thing.
Posts: 598 | From: a van down by the river | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
11 Girl Scouts in the Children's Choir this year. So it was one box from each of them.

Four remain...

Four...Thin Mints? Boxes? Girl Scouts? [Confused]

It turns out I have given up GS treats for Lent, or what's left of it. My doctor put me on the South Beach diet yesterday. [Waterworks]

[For some reason I can't write the "C"-word here.]

[ 11. March 2005, 12:30: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I right in thinking that the Girl Scouts don't actually bake the cookies themselves (as I used to think) but get them supplied from somewhere? So all they do is sell them?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh and ken: thanks for the powerful imagery.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Am I right in thinking that the Girl Scouts don't actually bake the cookies themselves (as I used to think) but get them supplied from somewhere? So all they do is sell them?

Now-a-days the cookies are baked and packaged professionally. However that hasn't always been the case!

One of the elderly ladies of my church told me last week about how her girl scout troop would get permission to make the cookies in a storefront downtown, a block or so from our church here! The passersby would be enticed to buy the freshly baked treats by the sight and aroma.

Unfortunately we can't do anything like that now with all the rules and regulations of food safety.

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh and ken: thanks for the powerful imagery.

You're welcome. When I read your post, that's the image that popped into what I'm pleased to call my mind. (I really did mean the imagery as a gentle tease, nothing else.)

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
now why wasn't this thread around when my little darling was doing her cookie sale? i could prehaps have hooked anyone in the nyc area up with a connection. its not true that girl scout cookies come only once a year, but they do only come once in an area per year, we haven't recieved our cookies yet, and this thread is making me quite hungry.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes but - are they made with real girl scouts?

(I love the Addams family!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I understand that some are made which do not involve chocolate but frankly can't see the point of that. ...

The shortbread cookies (known as Scot-Ts in my cookie-pushing youth, now called Trefoils) are very nice, particularly as a palate-cleanser between courses of Thin Mints.

Just reading this thread is making me all twitchy. The sprite from whom I ordered OUR cookies did not show up on Sunday, and I'm preaching at another parish this week! I NEED MY FIX!

[Help]

Rossweisse // also known to enjoy the peanut butter sandwiches

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
The shortbread cookies (known as Scot-Ts in my cookie-pushing youth, now called Trefoils) are very nice, particularly as a palate-cleanser between courses of Thin Mints.

I hadn't thought of this angle on the trefoils. Shortbread palate-cleanser.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hadn't thought of this angle on the trefoils. Shortbread palate-cleanser.

I live to serve.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016