homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
ReginaShoe
Shipmate
# 4076

- Posted      Profile for ReginaShoe   Author's homepage   Email ReginaShoe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, this whole discussion has made me wonder when we're going to start seeing wafer-detectors on the exits of churches. Or wafer-sniffing dogs. Can't be too careful these days, after all...

--------------------
"If you have any poo, fling it now." - Mason the chimp

Posts: 598 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
So, did we ever find out what a cooch is?

My understanding is:

Cooch (US) = fanny (UK)

Gort seems to interpret it as = fanny (US) = bum (UK) but my mileage varies.

What a bunch of bastards you are, I believed you when you told me you sat on the cooch. I was just about to ask Kelly if she had a 2 man or a 3 man cooch.
*A-hem*

*coff*

Charlotte

Ah! An evening to remember!

B2F, she seemed pretty assured in handling the axe. However, as to shaving... [Eek!]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Then there's the question of simony and selling the sacraments by selling a consecrated host. IIRC simony caused all sorts of problems for the Catholic Church, starting with that Luther chap and going on from there... it's a sensitive subject, you know. [Biased]

Thanks Duo for mentioning Luther and simony, you have given me a brilliant idea - selling indulgences on eBay. No need to actually transport anything physical to the purchaser, they just send you the money and you guarantee them fewer years of torment in the life to come. I guess you could make things interesting by asking them to confess to particular sins which you would then absolve for a price.
Here's one for starters. I went to ebay and searched "indulgence." Lots of different products come up.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
B2F, she seemed pretty assured in handling the axe. However, as to shaving... [Eek!]

Wel I used to use Immac, but I now refuse to on principle since they changed the name.

"Immac" had become a verb. One could Immac. "I immaced this morning".

WTF is Veet? Bah!

Also, it's easier to make little shapes with shaving. [Smile]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
Sorry, you're right. Fishcakes. Johnny was very wicked. I believe he got three of his fingers broken after the show.

I think there may have been some Chinese Whispers about that one. The version I was told was that Johnny said "I hope your fishcakes taste like fannies" which he may not have said, but is still by far the funniest account.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
]I think there may have been some Chinese Whispers about that one. The version I was told was that Johnny said "I hope your fishcakes taste like fannies" which he may not have said, but is still by far the funniest account.

Indeed. The version that still makes me snigger was Johnny saying "And may all your tarts come up like Fanny's".

It's all starting to sound a bit apocryphal - which is a shame!

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always used to order ice-cream in a restaurant rather than the tart because I was always terrified I'd ask 'Who is the tart of the day' instead of 'What is the tart of the day'. If you see what I mean
Didn't Fanny give Johnny a trifle in the face on one of those programmes
And could you imagine her as a dinner-lady? [Two face] [Two face] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<shocked>

Never looked on here before.

Come back TDA, all is forgiven... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ye gods - how did we get from hissing @ host-floggers to furry fannies (occasionally, incidentally, the phrase "map of Tasmania" has a double entendre in Oz [Hot and Hormonal] )? At any rate I second the proposal to immortalize this thread in limbo.

And I second too peronel's post:
quote:
(103 - handsomely said. Happy to consider the subject of your church and that incident dropped)

There's been a bit of blithering about 103's maturity blah blah blah but - while I disagree with many if not all of his views, I reckon he did real good to withstand the roasting that was delivered him. Is a [Overused] likely to melt in hell?

Come to think about it: does "flogging" have the nuances in the Rest of the World that it has in Oz? And it has bugga-all to do with a cat o' nine tails. Or a one sided football score. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 15. April 2005, 23:28: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
So that's how th nuns who make them get them so flat!

Mother Superior: and knead and clench and knead and clench and knead...

"Kegel Your Way to a Profitable Convent Business"

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
(To the pix of Kelly with an Axe)
nuff said.

Quite right.

quote:
Just how precise are you with that thing, and could you have saved me shaving down there earlier on?
I don't recommend it for detail work, to put it mildly.

Charlotte, it took me forever to clean up the driveway afterwards!

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Help]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(watches thread in silent awe.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which is why Kelly is not invited to our NEXT bris.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:

Which is why Kelly is not invited to our NEXT bris.
[Projectile]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last time, folks, the axe is rhetorical.

And even that is pretty much a laugh.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Go Anne Go:
If he's Anglican, then why the need for the fuss? If I'm correct (and I speak as a member of the ECUSA, which is part of the Anglican comunion) we don't even believe in transubstantiation. It is more than symbolic, but less than transubstantiation. In short, it is not for us to know how Christ is present in the host.

But still more than anything, I am upset with 103s attitude. What will happen the next time? He'll start vaulting the rail, chasing them down the aisle and rugby tackling them?

Someone so rude and immature should NOT be entrusted with the host.

On so many levels: Grow up.

It was 103's first time being a Eucharistic Minister. Quite frankly, I am happy someone his age is serving in this ministry, or any other ministry for that matter.

You are worried about the person he stopped. That is a legit concern. It is also a legit concern to be worried about discouraging people 103's age from participating in the church's ministry.

I am not perfect. 103 is not perfect. You are not perfect. So, why don't we all say the General Confession like Charles and Camilla and try to encourage one another.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Cause I can't be arsed, in much the same way that you won't wander on down to the local Methodist Church and repeat your bullshit line about soggy lumps of Mother's Pride.

Every communion I've been to in the United Methodist Church, with one exception, was a joint service with an Episcopal Church. To avoid using the jiggers and "offending" us, they distributed communion by intinction. Soggy white bread wasn't supposed to offend Episcopalians?

The exception, for lack of a better term, was a Methodist Wedding Mass. (I was the organist. I saw it with my own eyes.) They didn't use the jiggers that day either, although using the jigggers was typical practice at that congregation. Instead they intincted wafers. At least it wasn't soggy white bread.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
...I am not perfect. 103 is not perfect. You are not perfect. So, why don't we all say the General Confession like Charles and Camilla and try to encourage one another.

I thought that is the encouragement 103 was giving...EAT IT, NOW!! I don't see a problem.

As for crumb-littered cooches, fannies and other nefarious cross-pond references...I say the same advice applies.

[grammar]

[ 16. April 2005, 02:46: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
103, a very well-done apology! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a little link for y'all

Cough

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

A wonderful piece.

But, Father Bernie? [Frown]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least it isn't Father Reece the Stikka Vikka! [Razz]

--------------------

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Catholic, Anglican, Anglo-Catholic?

Ho-hum, let's all go home.

PS.

Come to the Dove in Hammersmith tonight. See this thread for details.

--------------------
There is a little bit of my mitral regurgitation that is forever yours.

Wiblog: Now being updated less than regularly (again).

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

catholic (with a little C to avoid confusion with Roman Catholics)

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am not perfect. 103 is not perfect. You are not perfect. So, why don't we all say the General Confession like Charles and Camilla and try to encourage one another.

You really haven't got the hang of Hell; encouragement belongs in All Saints. 103 foolishly put something on a discussion board and then got annoyed when it was discussed.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday:
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
I don't feel that the discussion of the ebay badness will be helped by any further discussion of my actions, and to that end I am now withdrawing from the thread.

Today:
quote:
Just a little link for y'all

Cough

To withdraw from a thread and then, less than 24 hours later, to return to it shows a certain lack of suaveness.

Mind, its the sort of consistency you'd expect from someone who, as Nightlamp eloquently put it:

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
put something on a discussion board and then got annoyed when it was discussed.

[Disappointed]

Peronel.

[ 16. April 2005, 09:15: Message edited by: Peronel ]

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peronel, it has been established that Henry is a geeky gawky teenaged boy with minimal social skills.* So what do you expect? Anyway this is what he always does. It's like Son of Fregory.

*naturally since we are all personae of the boards, he may IRL be Professor Lisa Jardine, or someone like that.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amos: [Killing me]

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
...I am not perfect. 103 is not perfect. You are not perfect. So, why don't we all say the General Confession like Charles and Camilla and try to encourage one another.

I thought that is the encouragement 103 was giving...EAT IT, NOW!! I don't see a problem.

I think it was the accompanying assault that was the problem.

And the likelihood that someone was driven away from church because of it. We can debate about the Real Presence all we like, but I'm sure almost all of us would agree that Christians are the Body of Christ, and driving someone away from that body is a very serious business.

I'm sure that Satan would be happier about someone quitting going to church than he would be about some idiots doing unspeakable things with a consecrated host (if such things actually happen).

Splitting the Church beats blasphemy any day.

Well done, 103.

Fuckwit.

[added bold and italic text to make it even more overblown]

[ 16. April 2005, 09:44: Message edited by: Lurker McLurker™ ]

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At this point I'm going to join the other chorus. I don't think we should all be leaping and clobbering younger members like Henry 103 and Thurible. We were all teenagers once, and we were all arseholes who thought the grownups were stupid. Point out their mistakes, but cut them a bit of slack. They represent an age group that is barely represented in the church these days, so should receive a little bit more encouragement than they seem to get here.

Am I being sanctimonious?

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:
quote:
quote:

And the likelihood that someone was driven away from church because of it. We can debate about the Real Presence all we like, but I'm sure almost all of us would agree that Christians are the Body of Christ, and driving someone away from that body is a very serious business.

I'm sure that Satan would be happier about someone quitting going to church than he would be about some idiots doing unspeakable things with a consecrated host (if such things actually happen).

Well done, 103.

Fuckwit.

Just out of interest can I ask what you would suggest I do next time?

Keep in mind that the rules are that I should not let anything like that go unnoticed and that it is my responsibility to make sure that each communicant has consumed the host before they leave the sanctuary!

--------------------

Gambit

London Shipmeet King
# 766

- Posted      Profile for Gambit   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes.

(Oh, c'mon, it is Hell [Devil] )

--------------------
There is a little bit of my mitral regurgitation that is forever yours.

Wiblog: Now being updated less than regularly (again).

Posts: 1105 | From: the best bar in Heaven | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Keep in mind that the rules are that I should not let anything like that go unnoticed and that it is my responsibility to make sure that each communicant has consumed the host before they leave the sanctuary!

Personally, I would let it go, as what people do with the elements is between them and God. Notice that when St Paul talks about people taking communion in an unworthy manner he is talking about their own consciences. I would let it go, and speak to her afterwards if I got a chance. I can't see any other constructive, loving, practical thing to do. But that is obviously not something you are prepared to do.

At the end of the day, I believe people are more important than rituals. If you don't then our atttiudes towards worship are so diffrent as to make any dialogue between us a waste of time.

Assaulting people in church, risking driving them from the church, working on the assumption that this person is going to desecrate the wafer rather than eat it in her seat, all of those things I regard as unconsciable. I can't see myself having enough in common with someone who doesn't to make any rational discussion on the issue possible.

There are other people who believe in the Real Presnce who wouldn't have done what you did, so its not a matter of disagreeing on that issue. You consider grabbing someone you are serving to be okay. This is one of these things that you either get or you don't and nothing I say will make a difference.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At this point I'm going to join the other chorus. I don't think we should all be leaping and clobbering younger members like Henry 103 and Thurible. We were all teenagers once, and we were all arseholes who thought the grownups were stupid. Point out their mistakes, but cut them a bit of slack. They represent an age group that is barely represented in the church these days, so should receive a little bit more encouragement than they seem to get here.

No you're not, and good for you for saying it. While I disagree with 103's original action, I think his behavior in this thread has shown infinitely more maturity than I would have been capable of at his age, or for many years afterwards. Way to go, 103.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
While I disagree with 103's original action, I think his behavior in this thread has shown infinitely more maturity than I would have been capable of at his age, or for many years afterwards. Way to go, 103.

Have you been reading this thread with your eyes closed?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
While I disagree with 103's original action, I think his behavior in this thread has shown infinitely more maturity than I would have been capable of at his age, or for many years afterwards. Way to go, 103.

Have you been reading this thread with your eyes closed?
No, I've been reading it with my blinders off. Try removing yours, it'll do wonders for the view.

Do you remember anything about being 17? I'm not sure how long it's been in your case, but a loooong time in mine, but I can still remember that admitting you're wrong, in any form, was much harder then than it is now, and it's not that easy now.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, please. Fiddleback, sweetcakes, this is the only place in the world™ where I am not obliged to be extra, extra nice about every little thing any child does in church on the grounds that to do otherwise would be 'disempowering'. Face it. There are some kids out there who badly need disempowering.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point is that young Henry HAS APOLOGISED - not particularly graciously, perhaps - but he has apologised. Do we need to keep shitting on him?

His intention was not wrong, but his manner was, and was derived from the usual teenage belief, with which I know that you are very familiar, that all adults are stupid.

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Trudy Trudy:

quote:
Do you remember anything about being 17?
<croons>

When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
We had an altar so high
It near' touched the sky
And an altar-rail where
We knelt on our knees
An Exsultet with bees
And no extr'ordinary ministries.... *

When I was seventeen
We all received on the tongue
It took very long
And the clergy could bend
We thought those days would not end.

But now I'm so old and wise
I think it's something I dreamed
Things were not as they seemed
Things changed in a day
We all went away....

[Tear] [Votive]

*Chant this line since the meter is outa whack

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only in a good way.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, hell. The edit time elapsed before I could edit "old and wise" to read "old and grey"; it would have helped the rhyme.

Rats.

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only when you are awake.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well done, 103.

Fuckwit.

Explain to the person quietly and respectfully the correct practice for taking communion in your church. And them make sure they consume the bread in front of you.

Assume that they've made an honest mistake rather than that they have evil intentions.

Treat them in the way you would hope to be treated yourself if you were visiting elsewhere and were unsure of the right thing to do.

Tubbs

PS Fiddleback [Overused] It's also worth bearing in mind that many adults believe the same about teenagers [Big Grin]

[ 16. April 2005, 13:53: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... working on the assumption that this person is going to desecrate the wafer rather than eat it in her seat ...

Perhaps some people think it's holey communion? [Ultra confused]
Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

I suppose a "How do you eat yours?" thread is in order.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No you're not, and good for you for saying it. While I disagree with 103's original action, I think his behavior in this thread has shown infinitely more maturity than I would have been capable of at his age, or for many years afterwards. Way to go, 103.

I didn't realise it was possible for people to be as immature as 103 at his age. You must have been a real pain.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I didn't realise it was possible for people to be as immature as 103 at his age. You must have been a real pain.
Nightlamp,

I have no idea of your age but I was at least 30 before I had the slightest idea that I was an arsehole at that age. Only since my own children became teenagers and I have seen them make better choices than I did have I realised just how much of one I was.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which makes me think you still haven't woken up to how much of an arsehole you are -- you must still be a real pain.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016