homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
The point is that young Henry HAS APOLOGISED - not particularly graciously, perhaps - but he has apologised. Do we need to keep shitting on him?

His intention was not wrong, but his manner was, and was derived from the usual teenage belief, with which I know that you are very familiar, that all adults are stupid.

Well, except that all he apologized for was being a little shit in this discussion. He still asserts his utter correctness in assaulting and humiliating another person at the altar.

103, you ask what you should have done: it's simple, really. Take her aside and explain that the custom of the church is to consume the host at the altar. If she still didn't behave, then get back to your job and mention it to the priest during the bits when you guys are cleaning up the altar before the end of the service. I am probably the rudest and don't-give-a-shit-about-other-peoplest person on the Ship and even I can figure that one out.

Of course, this all stems from my unwavering belief that no one should ever be turned or driven away from the altar for any reason whatsoever. Baptised or not, in good standing or not, whatever rules and restrictions a particular parish or congregation has make no difference.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The point is that young Henry HAS APOLOGISED - not particularly graciously, perhaps - but he has apologised. Do we need to keep shitting on him?

The shitting had pretty near stopped following the apology. The conversation had moved on. I grant that it had mostly moved down hill, but it was no longer focused on 103.

That is, until 103 returned to the fray.

In one sense I agree with you: once 103 had apologised and withdrawn, it would have been churlish to keep dumping on him.

But it seems unreasonable, if he wishes to keep posting on this thread - in hell, after all - to expect that people won't leap on him if they feel it appropriate.

He can't have it both ways.

Peronel.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Do we need to keep shitting on him?
"There's always more where that came from...."
---François Rabelais, paraphrased.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
I am not perfect. 103 is not perfect. You are not perfect. So, why don't we all say the General Confession like Charles and Camilla and try to encourage one another.

This is Hell, not All Saints.

Sheesh!

Anyway, people pretty much had laid off young 103 post his apology. Now that he has re-entered the fray, all bets are off, at least for those of us who aren't way more interested in some of the wacky tangents.

(Speaking of apologies, I probably owe Kel one for setting up more aggravation for her. Sorry babe.)

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:

quote:
Do we need to keep shitting on him?
"There's always more where that came from...."
---François Rabelais, paraphrased.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
you must still be a real pain.

Fortunately I am aware of this and you have made my day knowing I have annoyed you.

[ 16. April 2005, 19:19: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
quote:

His intention was not wrong, but his manner was, and was derived from the usual teenage belief, with which I know that you are very familiar, that all adults are stupid.

Well, except that all he apologized for was being a little shit in this discussion. He still asserts his utter correctness in assaulting and humiliating another person at the altar.

103, you ask what you should have done: it's simple, really. Take her aside and explain that the custom of the church is to consume the host at the altar. If she still didn't behave, then get back to your job and mention it to the priest during the bits when you guys are cleaning up the altar before the end of the service. I am probably the rudest and don't-give-a-shit-about-other-peoplest person on the Ship and even I can figure that one out.

Of course, this all stems from my unwavering belief that no one should ever be turned or driven away from the altar for any reason whatsoever. Baptised or not, in good standing or not, whatever rules and restrictions a particular parish or congregation has make no difference.

As I said, I wasn't prepared, it was my first time and I had to tell her to eat the host. I had no script, I just was following the rules in the way I thought was best. I do not feel that I did the wrong thing at all but if I was to repeat the event again I probably would approch the situation in a different angle, although I still would stop her and I still would tell her that she would have to eat the host in front of me. Rules are rules and they are not to be broken.
The thing is, That lady still could be driven off even if she was asked in the nicest possible way to consume the host in front of the Eucharistic Minister!

And you can't just not mention it to the priest until the clearing up bits at the end because that's too late. The rules are that the host has to be consumed in front of the eucharistic minister. IRC it's even in the old Prayer Book (Can a BCP User check that for me)
I probably would never be able to be a EM again if I had let her get away with it knowingly.
I'm wondering actually if she had said "No I won't eat it" if I would actually go as far to ask her to give it back to me... I dunno I probably would get my PP to sort it then and there, on the other hand... I dunno!
Whatever would happen I wouldn't let her take it away unconsumed, I respect the Eucharist way too much to allow that.

As for the turning people away from the altar I think that is more of an ideal. It's never going to happen and I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of Open Communion. But that's because I'm an absolute bastard who believes in crazy beliefs and is extremely sexist when it comes to the ordination who is not of the same sex as me!
But there you go, we have established all of that in this thread, I don't want to go into any of THAT again!
OK, that's pretty much all of my backround to how to everything and I'm going to print out the servers rota for tommorow.
Happy Saturday!

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
quote:

Fortunately I am aware of this and you have made my day knowing I have annoyed you.
Here's a tip - dont take on Mousethief. What has happened to 103 will be mild in comparison.
[Mad] [Biased]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
I'm wondering actually if she had said "No I won't eat it" if I would actually go as far to ask her to give it back to me... I dunno I probably would get my PP to sort it then and there, on the other hand... I dunno!
Whatever would happen I wouldn't let her take it away unconsumed, I respect the Eucharist way too much to allow that.-103

I hope you love Jesus enough to beat the crap out of the ignorant old bitch, if you had to, in order to keep her from leaving with him. If we had more of that sort of dedication in the church today, there'd be a lot less fucking around and breaking of rules.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Here's a tip - dont take on Mousethief. What has happened to 103 will be mild in comparison.

[Killing me] Don't be fooled. He's a just big ole teddybear.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Mad] [Biased]

Let me see if I can guess!

If Nightlamp "takes on Mousethief", you'll stick your nose so far up MT's ass that he'll jump and bump into NL. NL, being knocked off balance, will fall down and get a boo-boo.

Am I close?

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rules are rules and they are not to be broken.

You have driven me to prooftexting and I hate you for it.

quote:
In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions. Then he said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dude, you even suck at being a teenager. On the upside, you'd have been popular in Germany in 1940.

quote:

You're giving "tips" to one of the Hellhosts, in Hell? Wind your brain, the clockwork seems to have run down.

[Gah. Crosspost. Or, as I secretly suspect, the scaly bitch used her evil powers to insert her comment before mine.]

[ 16. April 2005, 20:37: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I hope you love Jesus enough to beat the crap out of the ignorant old bitch, if you had to, in order to keep her from leaving with him. If we had more of that sort of dedication in the church today, there'd be a lot less fucking around and breaking of rules.

I can see it now: A row of glowering 6'4" enforcers at the alter, dark hooded robes with arms crossed over hidden tasers; beady threatening eyes staring from beneath sullen brows searching the faces of the approaching laity.

Which one of the heathen will break and run?

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The rules are that the host has to be consumed in front of the eucharistic minister. IRC it's even in the old Prayer Book (Can a BCP User check that for me)

The old Prayer Book - that would be 1549 would it? Not an expert, but I can't think of anything in the Communion Service that requires the host to be consumed in front of the Priest (Eucharistic Ministers not getting a mention in those days).

Likewise in the new Prayer Book - 1662 - nothing that says the bread must be immediately consumed in front of the Priest, although I imagine this was assumed.

Perhaps you're thinking of Article XXVIII of the Articles of Religion

quote:
The Sacrament of the Lord's Supper was not by Christ's ordinance reserved, carried about, lifted up or worshipped.
So what do you do if a priest tries to reserve a host?

[ 16. April 2005, 20:50: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't one of the prayerbooks state that any left-overs (we're talking real bread, not wafers) could be taken home by the verger for his tea?

I don't have the reference to hand, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

--------------------

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gort: Klaatu, verada, nicto... but you are right on the historical money with your suggestion of

quote:
A row of glowering 6'4" enforcers
because in the earlier centuries, that's exactly what they had in the Great Church in Constantinople: 72 Enormous Deacons who specialized in crowd control--needed due to the presence of very many, rather aromatic, barbarian "tourists". Much incense was necessary throughout the first part of the liturgy, but most citizens of Constantinople were very fastidious and took a bath every day.

Once the liturgy had reached the point where the "secrets of the Church" such as the Creed were sung, a rubric in the liturgy books had the deacon announce in a loud voice, right before the Creed: "Depart, all ye catechumens! All ye catechumens, depart! Let not any catechumens remain!" If the unenlightened did not go at that point, they were ejected. I kid you not.

Nowadays, we don't do that any more. But if you're MW'ing and tired of standing, and standing, and standing, that's a good time to leave.

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peronel:
Didn't one of the prayerbooks state that any left-overs (we're talking real bread, not wafers) could be taken home by the verger for his tea?

Only the unconsecrated stuff.

BCP1662 says that any of the consecrated stuff left over has to be consumed after the blessing.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

Yes, it's in the 1552 Prayerbook

quote:
And to take away the supersticion, whiche any person hothe, or myghte have in the bread and wyne, it shall suffyse that the bread bee such, as is usuall to bee eaten at the Table wyth other meates, but the best and purest wheate bread, that conveniently maye be gotten. And yf any of the bread or wine remayne, the Curate shal have it to hys owne use.
(scroll down to near the bottom of the page)

Peronel

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Good point, Peronel. I hadn't checked that one.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

Agree with you on instructions in the 1662. I guess attitudes changed between the two!

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

Is there anything in Common Worship which requires witnessed consumption? I tend not to furtle around the rubrics very often!

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Is there anything in Common Worship which requires witnessed consumption? I tend not to furtle around the rubrics very often!

I don't believe so, but then CW has very little in the way of rubric generally. It does say that bread and wine not required for communion should be consumed at the end of the distribution or the end of the service. Keeping some does not seem to be an option.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> We were all teenagers once <snip>

Bullshit. Was not Was not not eva.
[Mad] I deny it. And besides your honour I was drunk at the time.

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah but since when has any FiF church ever used CW for anything except the odd Wedding? [Razz]

P.S. I'm not a teenager. I'm just me, I don't fit into any single catagory and I don't like labels.

[ 16. April 2005, 21:41: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------

Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:
In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions. Then he said to them, The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Ah but I think you'll find that Jesus said that. He might have changed his mind now that he's trapped inside bits of bread that wicked women try to take out of church in their handbags. He needs the protection of zealous 16 and three quarter year olds, I can tell you.

[ 16. April 2005, 21:59: Message edited by: Fiddleback ]

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Ah but I think you'll find that Jesus said that. He might have changed his mind now that he's trapped inside bits of bread that wicked women try to take out of church in their handbags. He needs the protection of zealous 16 and three quarter year olds, I can tell you.
I'm 17 actually thank you very much! It state in my Profile (I think!!!!) that I was born on the 17th of the 12th in the year of Our Lord 19 hundred and 87!

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shit, I've been sober longer than than you have been alive, it's all your fault anyway.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

btw Pyx_e - I'm making a video for your election campaign

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course the best you can hope for is a 15 certificate.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Shit, I've been sober longer than than you have been alive, it's all your fault anyway.

Hell, yeah. I've forgotten more than he'll ever learn. [Devil]

--------------------

ReginaShoe
Shipmate
# 4076

- Posted      Profile for ReginaShoe   Author's homepage   Email ReginaShoe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I can see it now: A row of glowering 6'4" enforcers at the alter, dark hooded robes with arms crossed over hidden tasers; beady threatening eyes staring from beneath sullen brows searching the faces of the approaching laity.

I'm telling you, it's big beeping wafer detector portals that you pass through on the way back to your pew -- an idea whose time has come! (or maybe just the little wands that you pass up and down people as they leave, for smaller altar areas...)

--------------------
"If you have any poo, fling it now." - Mason the chimp

Posts: 598 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, but in my church anybody who carried styrofoam around for any reason would be embarrased on a regular basis.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hell, I've got underwear older than young Henry.
But I won't blame him for that!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

Ah but even I have underwear which is older than I am! [Razz]

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I didn't realise it was possible for people to be as immature as 103 at his age. You must have been a real pain.

Nightlamp, you have no idea. Thank God for all concerned that the Ship wasn't sailing back in the day (nor, indeed, was the Internet as we know it invented, so I was forced to confine my know-it-all holier-than-thou goody-two-shoesness to people I actually met in real life).

Leetle Masha...good lyrics! [Overused]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'll try to let you down easy, then. You haven't annoyed me in the least. I was merely calculating, based on your immaturity, what your pain-in-the-ass quotient must be. This is merely potential annoyingness; your actual annoyingness may vary.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope you will recover okay. I'll pray for your healing. I know how delicate you are.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

quote:
Leetle Masha
thanks you kindly, Trudy Trudy.

Haunted by the spirit of Frank Sinatra....

Leetle M.

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

Ah but even I have underwear which is older than I am! [Razz]

Now THAT definitely falls into the category of "Too Much Information".

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for me, I wanna know how the heck he managed that. [Confused]
Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Not for me, I wanna know how the heck he managed that. [Confused]

There's a lot that gets handed down in that family.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honest to God what is with all this “making people feel welcome” bollocks. They are there to offer up a sacrifice of Praise and Worship not have a nice little chat or have a warm wet moment. Get a grip you whiney fuckers.

P

I don't always agree with you, but: [Overused]

Maybe it is time again to send the unwashed out at the Peace? Then, anyone coming to the rail for communion should know better.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am of the opinion that the moment the eucharist touches the lips of an unbeliever it becomes plain ole bread and wine. Isn't faith in communion the foundation of the act? Since when did symbols take on a life of their own and glow in the dark?

Get thee behind me, Philipp Melancthon. Go read what your leader, Martin Luther, had to say about consecrated Bread and Wine.

Receptionism, bah humbug!

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:
Actually those words were spoken not BY Darth Vader, but TO Darth Vader, by a man who was immediately thereupon strangled by Darth Vader from across the room, using the ancient religion in question. This hardly seems to support your case.
You're right. Guess Voodoo works.

Where do I sign up?

See you in church on Sunday.

I'll get out the Pink Poodle™ for you to pet. I know where the rector keeps it.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief thanks for replying it confirms that I am still annoying you.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say I laughed and thought of this thread when I read the following paragraph in a novel the other day. It's set in a Catholic boys' orphanage in 1960...I think 103 would've felt right at home there.

quote:
If the host misses the paten and falls to the floor, it's a really big deal. During altar boy classes you're told that you are saving God from dropping into hell. "You all know what a circus safety net is, boys. The paten is God's safety net," Brother McMurtry lectures every new altar boy. When Ryan coughed up the host, Monsignor Flynn stoped the Mass. All the brothers raced to the spot where the host had dropped. Brother McMurtry bolted to the sacristy and brought back oils and holy water and starched altar clothes to clean and cover the consecrated spot. Chairs and altar kneelers were gathered and arranged into a circle of protection around the holy area for two days. It was a really big to-do. They did everything but call in McNamara's Construction to jack up the building.
(from The Long Run by Leo Furey, Toronto: Key Porter Books, 2004).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Reports reaching Novus Ordo Watch that eBay alleged "Host from John Paul II" was sold to Knight of Columbus and turned over to Diocese
Just found this on a website that was also following the story! w00t!

--------------------

Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a wonderful ending to this story, 103. See, Jesus knew how to find Himself a good home. Ebay works in mysterious ways.

103, there was an MC at St. Mary the Virgin NYC who had to run down the aisle after someone on a regular basis. He was actually a very sweet and gentle man but God help you if you tried to run away with a Host uneaten. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
I am of the opinion that the moment the eucharist touches the lips of an unbeliever it becomes plain ole bread and wine. Isn't faith in communion the foundation of the act? Since when did symbols take on a life of their own and glow in the dark?

Get thee behind me, Philipp Melancthon. Go read what your leader, Martin Luther, had to say about consecrated Bread and Wine.

Receptionism, bah humbug!

Step forward, ye defenders of the faith! From a declaration of liturgy from the Lutheran Synod:
quote:
... Just as we do not know the precise moment the Sacrament becomes present, neither can we "fix a moment" when the Body and Blood are no longer present.
It seems Melancthon worked to bring about a consensus among the churches and his last wish was that they be reunited in Christ. From Bede's link:
quote:
... A result of this Adiaphora controversy, in which Melancthon declared Catholic practices adiaphorous (indifferent things, neither good nor bad), hence permissible provided that the proper doctrine were maintained and its import made clear to the people. Matthias Flacius Illyricus and other zealots objected that these practices had heretofore been the centres of impiety and superstition, and Melancthon was attacked and reviled by Flacius, Amsdorf, and the other "Gnesiolutherans", as a renegade and a heretic. [my bold]
quote:
... As years went by he even abandoned Luther's doctrine as to the Last Supper, and looked on Christ's spiritual communication of Himself to the faithful and their internal union with Him as the essential feature of the Sacrament... [my bold]
Seems like a reasonable man to me.

--------------------

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a quiet weekend so I thought I would catch up with the Ship.

A couple of things came to mind after reading this thread from the beginning

- A strong desire in church this morning to clutch the communion wafer in both hands and run off screaming "It's mine". (I didn't)

- A thought that the ebay sale must have had added value from the host being blessed in the Vatican by the Pope.

But if it is accepted by the RC faithful that all communion involves the real body of Christ, then it shouldn't matter where the wafer came from or who blessed it. Should it? Or is it somehow more holy to receive the sacrament in that way?

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016