homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno what I mean - I just threw something at the shelf above my desk and my bible fell onto my keyboard and that caught my eye.

It just looked relevant. Unfortunatly it looks like my translation is a bit nicer - my translation says
quote:
I urge you, my dear friends, as strangers and nomads to keep yourselves free from the disordered natural inclinations that attack the soul. Always behave honourably amoung gintiles so that they can see for themselves what moral lives you lead, and when they day of reckoning comes, give thanks to God for the things which now make them denounce you as criminals
NOW - you could say that my incident with the lady could be wrong according to this passage and that I should've behaved honourably, but also this could all be used against you as none of you have shown me how nice you all can be, you've all attacked me like wolves on this thread.

Just to say that the extract from the Bible is from the New Jerusalem Bible ©1985 Darton, Longmand & Todd Ltd and Doubleday & Company Inc.
(It's not a widely available Bible online and all the quotes I have found on the internet from this bible have always had this copyright notice at the bottom so I think it's probably alright to display stuff from it if you have the copyright.)

[ 21. April 2005, 20:23: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
Right, my bible has just fallen open onto a quote that I think is relevant to this thread.
1 Peter 2:11-12

You have been marked forever as a member of one, holy Anglican church. Not only do you have a Bible, apparently you use it.

All my good fundy friends tell me that nothing in the Roman church is based upon the Bible.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
103, you do realize that what thats about is behaving well in front of the non-believers so that they'll be impressed by how well behaved christians are?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
long missed the edit window, but just thought i should add, i assume then that your purpose wasn't to insinuate that given group or another aren't real christians? because that was my first thought and i'm glad to hear otherwise.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
Right, my bible has just fallen open onto a quote that I think is relevant to this thread.

You have been marked forever as a member of one, holy Anglican church. Not only do you have a Bible, apparently you use it.

All my good fundy friends tell me that nothing in the Roman church is based upon the Bible.

Uh? My Local RC Church has Bible Study on Thursday Evenings!
I think your fundy friends have been told lies! (Exodus 20:16)

--------------------

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ALL attacked you like wolves? Did you even read, for example, Josephine's eloquent and well-considered post? I'm hard-pressed to see the attack in that, or in several other posts that basically suggested you might like to do things differently next time.

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

OK - most

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
NOW - you could say that my incident with the lady could be wrong according to this passage and that I should've behaved honourably, but also this could all be used against you as none of you have shown me how nice you all can be, you've all attacked me like wolves on this thread.

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh? My Local RC Church has Bible Study on Thursday Evenings!
I think your fundy friends have been told lies! (Exodus 20:16)

My dear, dear 103. Is it a required of the members of Forward in Frocks to have the funny bone surgically removed? You would probably have a nicer time of it all if you would learn how to laugh.

Hint: Be wary whenever someone uses the term "all," so something similar, unless the person is saying something like "all sunrises occur in the East." In many cases statements like the one I made are either hyperbole or wrong.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
shareman
Shipmate
# 2871

- Posted      Profile for shareman   Email shareman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Go Anne Go:
quote:
Originally posted by shareman:
quote:
Originally posted by Go Anne Go:
I don't get it, if your mother wouldn't be good enough to give you comunion or bless you, why does she get any way in which church you're a member of?

<tangent in support of 103>
Well, it's not about "good enough" unless you think that my inability to bear a child is not because I'm a man, but because I'm somehow not "good enough". And I support women priests, but if you're going to counter argue, then argue against what the other side is actually saying. They might be a bunch of neanderthals, but their arguments still need to be countered.
<end of tangent>

I'm not quite seeing your point. The reason that women aren't ordained in the RCC is not becuase spiritually they're different, etc, but solely based on their gender. Not being able to bear children doesn't make you a man, you could be an infertile woman. That's biology. Biologically, women can give the eucharist, so long as they are able to use their arms, toes, nose, whatever it takes. The sole restriction is that they're women. Not that they can't physically do it, or that spiritually they are less then men, but that they just are women. But men can administer the eucharist. Were a woman to make all the same vows, etc as a man she'd still be prohibited. What other way is there to interpret it than "women aren't good enough?"
My point was that their argument, which BTW I do not subscribe to, is that a priest is something that only a man can be in the way that a mother is something that only a woman can be. I might want with all my heart to bear a child, I might feel that I have the right to bear a child, I might even claim to be oppressed because I can't bear a child. I still can't bear a child, though because I am a man, and men can't bear children. It has nothing to do with being good enough for the job. As to what it is that makes priesthood male, it has to do, I think, with the fact that the priesthood has till now, been entirely male with some arguable exceptions like St. Brigid, that the priest is the image of Christ in the Eucharist and must therefore be the same gender, and other things probably better covered in Dead Horses. I think it's a load of hogwash, but it still has nothing to do with being good enough. You can't ignore the theological arguments and get all insulted over an argument that isn't even being made, though you might suspect it underlies the theological arguments.

--------------------
Israel also came into Egypt, and Jacob was a stranger in the land of Ham.

Posts: 516 | From: on a rock AND a hard place | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only groups like "REFORM" think that women priests are a bad idea and have a entirely scriptual reason and I'm not at all like REFORM

quote:

Actually - I might be in favour of women priests if the Pope said it was ok but he hasn't so that's it!

ok. let me check this point - you take the POPE to be more of an authority than the BIBLE?
he's just a man, a bloke, a person, a human, a guy. Even if he's in an authority position over the RC church, he's not Jesus, is he?
[Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

you seem to worry a lot more about where the wider church tradition you're in stands in relation to God rather than where you stand, and more about what you think about traditions and ecclesiastical functions than about what the church tradition you're in thinks about them.
to me, that seems topsy-turvy; surely the service's object is more important than the service's choreography? [Confused]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

[Killing me]
cute.
old, yet still amusing, especially in text form! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

quote:
ok. let me check this point - you take the POPE to be more of an authority than the BIBLE?
he's just a man, a bloke, a person, a human, a guy. Even if he's in an authority position over the RC church, he's not Jesus, is he?

Where does the BIBLE say that women should be ordained priests.

Foolish child.

Or should that be: FOOLISH CHILD.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even if he's in an authority position over the RC church, he's not Jesus, is he?

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ and, as such, wields rather more say over the Church than one in 'an authority position'.

Cosmo

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
....And as for the mass at my old church not being valid in my new church, well I'll be sharing a common view with all the RCs who come to my church to hear the choir, the genuflect and they recieve communion. Shows enough respect I think.

Actually, if those RCs are genuflecting to your church's reserved sacrament and receiving communion, they aren't properly following the teachings of the RCC.

And since one of your reasons for wanting to swim the Tiber is to part of a church where everyone acknowledges and faithfully follows a single set of rules, as evidenced by this earlier quote,

quote:
....I'm glad that I'll be able to leave the confusion and the uncertainty of the CofE that I experience behind and I'll be able to live my life in a denomination that I think is strong and united in beliefs.

then you need to find more reliable RC mentors, someone like Trisagion. Your RC priest friend, among many other influences, seems to be teaching you a rather dodgy cathecism.

It is one thing the be following the path of an active heretic within a faith tradition (it definitely forces a pretty much continual examination of conscience), and there are also grounds for discussion, dissent, and different practices. But none of these are an excuse for misrepresenting the official beliefs and teachings of the RC Church when it has taken such pains to clarify the teachings in excruciating detail.

Which leads to the question - do you have a copy of the Cathecism of the Catholic Church, 103? If not, you need to get one, and you need to look things up in it. If you think the 39 Articles are beyond the pale and unacceptable, I want to hear what you make of the RCC Cathecism in all its lengthy and detailed glory.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
....And as for the mass at my old church not being valid in my new church, well I'll be sharing a common view with all the RCs who come to my church to hear the choir, the genuflect and they recieve communion. Shows enough respect I think.

Actually, if those RCs are genuflecting to your church's reserved sacrament and receiving communion, they aren't properly following the teachings of the RCC.

And since one of your reasons for wanting to swim the Tiber is to part of a church where everyone acknowledges and faithfully follows a single set of rules, as evidenced by this earlier quote,

quote:
....I'm glad that I'll be able to leave the confusion and the uncertainty of the CofE that I experience behind and I'll be able to live my life in a denomination that I think is strong and united in beliefs.

then you need to find more reliable RC mentors, someone like Trisagion. Your RC priest friend, among many other influences, seems to be teaching you a rather dodgy cathecism.

It is one thing the be following the path of an active heretic within a faith tradition (it definitely forces a pretty much continual examination of conscience), and there are also grounds for discussion, dissent, and different practices. But none of these are an excuse for misrepresenting the official beliefs and teachings of the RC Church when it has taken such pains to clarify the teachings in excruciating detail.

Which leads to the question - do you have a copy of the Cathecism of the Catholic Church, 103? If not, you need to get one, and you need to look things up in it. If you think the 39 Articles are beyond the pale and unacceptable, I want to hear what you make of the RCC Cathecism in all its lengthy and detailed glory.

I was given a Roman Catholic Cathecism at my First Communion by my PP.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

Where does the BIBLE say that women should be ordained priests.

Foolish child.

Or should that be: FOOLISH CHILD.

where did I comment on whether women should be ordained or not?
(I am, in fact, militantly undecided on this subject [Biased] )

I simply said that it is rather weird of 103 to say he believes they shouldn't be because the pope says so but not because of any scriptural reason.

quote:
The Pope is the Vicar of Christ and, as such, wields rather more say over the Church than one in 'an authority position'.
apart from the fact that Christ is quite capable of being his own vicar, the pope could have as much authority as is possible to imbue him with, but still not exceed or even equal that of Christ. Therefore it still seems pretty odd to put the pope's opinion above Scripture's teaching.

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:

Step one has been accomplished.

Now, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest.

If you have any questions, I have a friend from high school with a PhD from Fordham in New York that teaches at a Roman college somewhere in the US. I could pass your questions on to him.

(Oh, and when his students told him that there was a new pope, and—when pressed further for indentification—was told it was some guy from Germany, his immediate response in front of God and everyone [quoting exactly from his e-mail] was "SHIT!" I hear he wasn't alone.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:

Step one has been accomplished.

Now, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest.

If you have any questions, I have a friend from high school with a PhD from Fordham in New York that teaches at a Roman college somewhere in the US. I could pass your questions on to him.

(Oh, and when his students told him that there was a new pope, and—when pressed further for indentification—was told it was some guy from Germany, his immediate response in front of God and everyone [quoting exactly from his e-mail] was "SHIT!" I hear he wasn't alone.)

That was my reaction too!
It was funny that I said in the car on the way home about 5 minutes before the white smoke appeared "As long as it isn't Ratzinger I'll be happy"

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I simply said that it is rather weird of 103 to say he believes they shouldn't be because the pope says so but not because of any scriptural reason.

Do you really have so little understanding of the reason Roman Catholics tend to regard the Pope as an authority here?

Hint: It's Biblical. You just might not agree with the interpretation.

quote:
apart from the fact that Christ is quite capable of being his own vicar,
Actually that appears to be totally untrue, because it's nonsense. A vicar is one who stands in the place of someone, or represents them while they're away, and standing in place of yourself is meaningless.

quote:
the pope could have as much authority as is possible to imbue him with, but still not exceed or even equal that of Christ.
Quite so but irrelevant.

quote:
Therefore it still seems pretty odd to put the pope's opinion above Scripture's teaching.
Where does it prohibit women priests in Scripture again?
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:

I believe there's something in one of the letters about not letting women speak in church...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

I believe there's something in one of the letters about not letting women speak in church...
Like Lydia, the seller of purple and leader of the first European church?

(The smell of deceased equine is starting to make itself known to my nose.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:

(L&D)I simply said that it is rather weird of 103 to say he believes they shouldn't be because the pope says so but not because of any scriptural reason.

(GF) Do you really have so little understanding of the reason Roman Catholics tend to regard the Pope as an authority here?

Hint: It's Biblical. You just might not agree with the interpretation.

never seen any reference in the Bible to the institution of popes myself, although I know some people do.
If you'd care to point me to it and explain how it is interpreted as instituting the papal office I'd be interested to try to understand it.

quote:

(L&D)apart from the fact that Christ is quite capable of being his own vicar,

(GF) Actually that appears to be totally untrue, because it's nonsense. A vicar is one who stands in the place of someone, or represents them while they're away, and standing in place of yourself is meaningless.

and Christ needs a representative because?
hint: it's biblical
quote:

Acts 1
4 On one occasion, while he [Jesus] was eating with them, he gave them this command: Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptised with water, but in a few days you will be baptised with the Holy Spirit. 6 So when they met together, they asked him, Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel? 7 He said to them: It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. 9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
<snip>
Acts 2
1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

or, more succinctly
quote:

surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
(Matt 28:20b)

quote:

(L&D) the pope could have as much authority as is possible to imbue him with, but still not exceed or even equal that of Christ.

(GF) Quite so but irrelevant.

not in this case, as I was questioning how 103 could hold Scripture as being a lower authority than the pope. If Christ is in authority over the pope, surely Scripture must be so too.

quote:

(L&D) Therefore it still seems pretty odd to put the pope's opinion above Scripture's teaching.

(GF) Where does it prohibit women priests in Scripture again?

dunno - as I said in my previous post, I am militantly undecided on that issue.
Some of the pauline teachings in epistles have been interpreted in that way, but I'm not 100% certain that that is the way in which Paul intended that passage to be read. Therefore I'm undecided.

The question of female ordinands, priests, vicars, servers, deacons, elders, PCC-members, curates, bishops, archbishops, cardinals, whatevers was not what I was addressing - I was questioning how 103 could hold Scripture as being a lower authority than the pope.
If "because the pope says so" is a better reason for holding a belief than "because the Bible says so" then that strikes me as downright weird.

[ 21. April 2005, 23:33: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And you have read and agree with all 2865 articles therein?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Like Lydia, the seller of purple and leader of the first European church?
or Deborah the Judge if you want an OT example.

Maybe to be on the safe side we shouldn't let anyone speak in church at all - we could either sit in silence - possibly using sign language, semaphore or smoke-signals instrad of actual speech or sing at each other in quasi-recitative style

[Two face]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to ask, quite plaintively, that if anyone has any affection for me whatsoever, they'll immediately trot out a couple dead horses - so that I can close this leviathan of pettiness.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive always thought you rather cute myself.

Hmmmm - argument about homosexuality anyone?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think reminding everyone of the inerrancy of the scriptures would be much more apropos to the closing of this thread, Emma. And hands off RooK -- I saw him first.

(BTW, it never says that Lydia was the "leader" of the first European church.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmm .. still think that points towards women in leadership myself....

surely *noone* believes in literal innerancy these days [Biased]

ohhh better idea - what about a pond war?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's discuss the role of homosexuals in the church...blasphemous desecration? or what?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, but only if I can badmouth Democrats and praise Tories.

(That should do it.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that doesn't work, I wanna talk about those crappy choruses. I mean really.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Grits
# 4169

Awww... Gort loves RooK, too.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[HELLHOST]

All right, you rabble! Take your dead horse discussions you know where. Since this thread has been defiled, it shall now be closed.

[/HELLHOST]

(Wipes brow)
Thanks, guys. Your assistance will not be forgotten.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

(grumble grumble)

After consulting with those peers that are more objective than I am (meaning all of them), the consensus is that this popular thread should remain available for general participation.

So, by all means, continue to do that voodoo that you so well.

-RooK
Hellhost

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

yay!

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Ive always thought you rather cute myself.

Hmmmm - argument about homosexuality anyone?

OK. I think RooK is cute, too. And, his accent is very exciting.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
(BTW, it never says that Lydia was the "leader" of the first European church.)

Paul just treated her as such.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think the argument that women could be priests is quite weak since we don't see women taking that role but in the NT. I think the argument that they should be Bishops or Deacons is quite strong since a number of women seem to be taking those roles.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Exactly - I'm also should refrain from making a parish which isn't on "The safe list" my usual parish and I also should avoid recieving communion in a church which has a Women Minister on the clergy list.

I have a "safe list", too. Bet it doesn't look like any 103's.

If I understand this correctly, right-thinking F-i-Fers won't take Holy Communion, celebrated by a man in a parish that also has a lady priest serving in it? That's the second most stupid thing I've read on this thread (the first most stupid thing was how the Articles of Religion taint the Office of Holy Communion in the Prayer Book).

But this is so far off topic, I will pursue it on the priestly genitalia thread.

The third stupidest thing I've read is that if the Bishop of Rome said ordaining ladies to the priesthood were OK, all would be forgiven.

That's such a big one, I started my very own Purgatory thread to consider it.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

which reminds me of a point that i was going to make before the thread was temporarily closed...

which is that 103 seems to feel that the major theological difference between the roman catholic church and the anglican is the question of woman's ordination. it seems as though he can stand any difference of theology except that one thing. yet thats a comparatively recent issue, heavens knows. and there have been profound differences between the two since the beginning, and they aren't going to go away if the issue of women's ordination ever ceases to be an issue.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to ask why, if the Queen is the head of the church in the UK, nobody in the course of this surreal, meandering 17-page thread has yet objected to her on the grounds of her being a woman.
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
If I understand this correctly, right-thinking F-i-Fers won't take Holy Communion, celebrated by a man in a parish that also has a lady priest serving in it?

Of course, HT. Any altar that has had a woman celebrate at it is contaminated beyond repair, surely you knew that. Although they might fetch a dollar or two on e-bay, no right-thinking FIFer would ever go near one. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
103's reaction to the OP indicates a trend of not being able to discern reality from isolated media reported instances. But, then, given the Satanic stuff thrown out here as proof that Jesus was in trouble due to a bit of ebay merchandising, I don't think he's alone.

[ 22. April 2005, 17:47: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

quote:
Originally posted by The BAS:
Paul just treated her as such.

How do you read that from scripture? She was a worshipper of God, who responded to Paul's message and invited them to stay in her home, and she possibly served as the host home for the Christians there. You'd have to read an awful lot more into it to assume she had any teaching authority or otherwise.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'd like to ask why, if the Queen is the head of the church in the UK, nobody in the course of this surreal, meandering 17-page thread has yet objected to her on the grounds of her being a woman.

1) Because she isn't the head of the Church of England, she is its governor.

2) The English Church has been governed by lay people since the Refornmation - and was at least in part before the Reformation. Lay people choose the bishops. Lay people (mostly) present candidates for benefices. Lay people, as churchwardens, are the ongoing trustees of the property of a parish.

3) And the Queen, as a good Presbyterian, knows her place [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
Because if Anglo-Catholics started objecting to old Queens the Catholic Movement of England would collapse.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

quote:
Because if Anglo-Catholics started objecting to old Queens the Catholic Movement of England would collapse.
Don't get me started about the Monarchy, I think they are sucking the money out of the good working british person. Why should they be treated any differently to any of us? It's not fair!
I personally would like to see them chucked off their throne, kicked out of their homes, their money taken from them and fairly distributed amoung the people and told to get jobs like the rest of us!

(I would love to see this thread closed again!)

[ 22. April 2005, 19:28: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then we could buy a shrubbery.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Treason!!

To the Tower with you, 103!!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016