homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Never mind Heck - this place is turning into Heccles.

Indeed. And having read the rest of this page, I have to keep reminding myself I'm not a host here. [Help] We even have all of the usual suspects.
One Lord. One Faith. One Board.

(Except here we can have an opinion without having to quote St. Percy.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by The Royal Spaniel:
been away for a long weekend I come back to find this thread has grown to an inordinately long length but 103 has not become a Roman

We're going to have to exchange him for Squirrel at midnight on the north side of the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Come unarmed, and if you bring any archdeacons, the deal is off.

Ah - But squirrel wouldn't like my church! It'd be too FiF!

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the whole robes thing is so it doesn't make people who drop in to see what the tourist-attraction-type church does in its services confused.

I think not, because that would be a ridiculous reason. It would be more confusing to enter a church and find the vicar dressed in jeans. I don't mean to imply that I doubt your experiences - I believe you. But as you note yourself, you're self-selecting hard-core evangelical, less liturgical and so on.

a lot of people who drop in to our church are not from the UK so unless they are of an RC or an Orthodox background the robes might not be part of their expectation.
As far as I know they've not robed up regularly since something like the 70s - maybe earlier. I suppose it's as much habit as anything else now.

quote:
Rather like the Mystery Worship of old then....
And having been away for a long weekend I come back to find this thread has grown to an inordinately long length but 103 has not become a Roman Catholic and I presume has not hissed at any more communicants.....
So nothing's changed then..!!!!
[teasing tag on]
He'd be a good parent though, as he'd make his offspring eat up all the greens....Eat it now!!!
[teasing tag off/]

yup - real progress has been made on all fronts.

actually, 103, does your church do the wine before or after the bread - wouldn't the (now famous and increasingly ubiquitous) woman in question have been en route from bread to wine? Usually the bread comes first, doesn't it (unless the servers have got tangled up while serving the musicians which sometimes means Communion for some muzos is occasionally bread only, wine only or wine followed by bread. Keeps it interesting I guess.)

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronist
Shipmate
# 5343

- Posted      Profile for Ronist   Email Ronist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
22 pages Jeez. Maybe we should try driving a wooden stake through the heart of this thread. There must be someway to kill it.

Normally if I post on a thread it withers and dies. I'm still trying with this one.

Posts: 827 | From: Vancouver Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why the fuck is this thread still going?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronist:
22 pages Jeez. Maybe we should try driving a wooden stake through the heart of this thread. There must be someway to kill it.

It is called not posting on it! the fact you posted suggests you really want to keep it alive.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:
Why the fuck is this thread still going?

because you posted on it!

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's got beyone the point of being stupid and reached the point of ridiculousness.

maybe we could keep discussing pilfered hosts, 103's enaction of his EM role, robes, insertion of wafers into unlikely female orifices and the like until Pope Benedict XII shuffles off the mortal coil too and a new would-be eBay entrepreneur puts a wafer blessed by the-artist-formerly-known-as-Ratzinger on sale so a new thread is needed.

I think it would make the hell-hosts very happy people [Snigger] [Two face]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

err... [Hot and Hormonal] computerly weirdness seems to have made my "edit" go all funny.

Could one of the hell-hosts (who is going to be made so sunny & happy by the eternal life of this thread) maybe un-weird it? [Hot and Hormonal]

I have no idea what happened - think my browser fell over its toes or something [Roll Eyes] [Help] [Hot and Hormonal] [Confused]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
actually, 103, does your church do the wine before or after the bread - wouldn't the (now famous and increasingly ubiquitous) woman in question have been en route from bread to wine? Usually the bread comes first, doesn't it (unless the servers have got tangled up while serving the musicians which sometimes means Communion for some muzos is occasionally bread only, wine only or wine followed by bread. Keeps it interesting I guess.)

I won't answer any questions about "Bread" and "Wine"

And recieving in one kind only is perfectly fine and is actually prefered by a lot of people (At Weekday Mass I always recieve in one kind only)

[Snotty AND stupid - how was he not strangled in his toddler years?]

[ 27. April 2005, 12:59: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Yeah - this thread is great actually, lets see if we can get it to 30 pages!

Are the hosts betting money on this thread to see how long it will last?
Could I join the bet too?

[ 26. April 2005, 21:48: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
quote:
[QUOTE]

I won't answer any questions about "Bread" and "Wine"

eh? [Confused] I'm confused
why?
did I say something wrong? [Confused] [Tear]

--------------------

Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he's satirising the stereotype of the attitude Anglo-Catholics are supposed to have towards those who use terminology that differs from theirs. If he was in a more serious mood he'd be glad to answer you.

Hmm, this isn't going to get the thread closed, is it

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:

Hmm, this isn't going to get the thread closed, is it

hee [Snigger] you just can't get enough of this thread - admit it - you'd be bereft without it [Snigger]

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost as long as Percington Crescent....!!! [Snigger] [Snigger]
However I don't think 103's church follows the teachings of St.Percy so perhaps best left alone....
I'm still boggling over the need for 6 stations [Eek!] for the distribution of Holy Communion

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah - this thread is great actually, lets see if we can get it to 30 pages!

Are the hosts betting money on this thread to see how long it will last?
Could I join the bet too?

Congratulations. Now RooK will have his way with this thread, if not Sarky or Erin.

So long, farewell thee well, O Thread of Life.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
However I don't think 103's church follows the teachings of St.Percy so perhaps best left alone....
I'm still boggling over the need for 6 stations [Eek!] for the distribution of Holy Communion

6 Stations because we're not allowed to rip out those Damn Awful pews and replace them with comfy chairs and we have way too many people attending Sunday Mass!

--------------------

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

(The Ecclesiantics takeover of Hell is about complete. If you would just move the baldochino over there to the right a bit, the organist will start improvising on the Black Adder theme. Who has the tea lights?)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Nave altar with the relics of St Simion... nice and central.
Excellant!

Banners with texts "Jesus is Lord" and "Alleluia"... put them up either side of the altar! Lovely!

This is the new MW!

[ 26. April 2005, 22:17: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
quote:

6 Stations because we're not allowed to rip out those Damn Awful pews and replace them with comfy chairs and we have way too many people attending Sunday Mass!

now we know where the whole storm-trooper approach to the wafers comes from - reduce the congregation - person by person... [Devil]

--------------------

Scholar Gypsy
Shipmate
# 7210

- Posted      Profile for Scholar Gypsy   Email Scholar Gypsy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone got any gin?
Posts: 822 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

I've got the tonic!

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
103,I was having a holiday in Bristol this weekend and I went to St.Mary Redcliffe for the Eucharist.It's a big church and it was easily 2/3rds full if not more.They didn't seem to have any problem there - it was distributed kneeling at the high altar.
If there's a problem you'd need to get the wardens to let one line of pews at a time. It's known as crowd control!!!
They could then receive at the communion rail,and you could have one priest and two eucharistic ministers

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
103,I was having a holiday in Bristol this weekend and I went to St.Mary Redcliffe for the Eucharist.It's a big church and it was easily 2/3rds full if not more.They didn't seem to have any problem there - it was distributed kneeling at the high altar.
If there's a problem you'd need to get the wardens to let one line of pews at a time. It's known as crowd control!!!
They could then receive at the communion rail,and you could have one priest and two eucharistic ministers

Wardens are not a good idea, trust me they would not work and they make the service look a little too inpersonal.
And we're trying to move AWAY from old fashioned things like distribution kneeling at the high altar. The only good use for communion rails are to help disabled and elderly people up steps!

6 Eucharist Stations are fine and that is what we do and will do, we're now refining it so that there is no chaos involved as people recieve in exactly the same way.

Kneeling also isn't good because we then wouldn't comply with the Disabled Discriminations Act, the altar rail is at the top of 7 steps around the high altar and there is no ramp.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

get someone to stand at the front with a couple of table-tennis bats [Snigger]

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
get someone to stand at the front with a couple of table-tennis bats [Snigger]

Open mouths please......

[ 26. April 2005, 22:30: Message edited by: 103 (One-O-Three) ]

--------------------

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've got the tonic!

Oh, my, the thread starts morphing once again ... into a party thread!

The manuevering reminds me of the Ship-specific M* C* round played in the last stages of the "SOF Idol" competition. [Killing me]

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:

Wardens are not a good idea, trust me they would not work and they make the service look a little too inpersonal.
And we're trying to move AWAY from old fashioned things like distribution kneeling at the high altar. The only good use for communion rails are to help disabled and elderly people up steps!

6 Eucharist Stations are fine and that is what we do and will do, we're now refining it so that there is no chaos involved as people recieve in exactly the same way.

Kneeling also isn't good because we then wouldn't comply with the Disabled Discriminations Act, the altar rail is at the top of 7 steps around the high altar and there is no ramp.

But (he sputters), I thought you had a Porta-Altar at the crossing! Set up rails there, like this.

(I promise the rector was not sleeping when this picture was taken. He was preparing for after the anthem. We don't have Evensong with choirs from three churches every day.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

*ahem*

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition, young man. You set up a station or two below the steps and have a few people serving at the rail. Some people actually prefer recieving at the rail.

At St. Spike's, we have about five shallow steps (with handrails) between the chancel (with communion rail) and the nave. Most of the elderly are bound and determined to get up the steps to the rails (at which they either kneel or stand, depending on their preference) and at least one usher stands by to assist. A serving team will check and see if anyone is waiting expectantly below the steps. We do actually have a mini-lift that could bring them up, but bringing communion to them is easier.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ONCE upon a time, there was a happy little bulletin board. As the bulletin board grew, it noticed that it needed a place for people to contain their otherwise unacceptable outbursts. This worked well, and everyone was satisfied, except for Pyx_e.

Then one day, 103 tackled some poor little old lady to cram some stale bread product in her mouth. The outrage from this shook the happy little bulletin board, for about a day. Then people commenced babbling inanely about all sorts of really meaningless shyte. This prompted one Host to close the thread, in the interests of tidyness, and finding a way to resist hunting everyone down and killing them with a spoon.

But no. All the Host's colleagues and superiors were startled and aghast at the closure of the thread, just because Hell had been a little slow and lame lately and this thread might be seen as a way to perk things up a bit. So, fine, the damn thing was reopened. Then the fucking piece of shit thread turned into motherfucking blob thread that ate the goddamn bulletin board, with all of the most boring posters eagerly trying to outdo each other with lameness competitions.

SO THERE. HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT SHIT? NOW WE'VE GOT KRILL-FUCKING ECCLESIANTICS BITCHES MAKING FUN OF US BECAUSE THEY'VE DISCOVERED THEY CAN BE EVEN MORE LAME AND BORING IN HELL THAN ON THEIR OWN DUMBASS BOARD. IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?! IS IT?!?! HUH?! YOU FUCKERS!

Anyway, carry on.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skewers posters and thread with toasting fork

Stupid muppets, deciding to throw a party down here:Thread closed.

Sarkycow, hellhost

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016