homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Blasphemous desecration (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Blasphemous desecration
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
Things have changed a lot since then. (It's now even more hectic now actually :S) but that's not the point!

If it's even more hectic, are you surprised that a visitor didn't know where the hell to go? And that - just maybe - she needed guidance rather than grabbing?

Or are you still convinced that scaring her off was the right thing because, rather than just being confused by your "hectic" and unusual Anglican church, she just might have been planning on using Our Lord as a pessary?

Peronel.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Siegfried correctly says
quote:
That would be relevant if 103 was an EM at an RC church. He isn't. It's an Anglican church.
True, Siegfried. I posted that for our Roman Catholic participants to read. Sorry that it was not relevant to the thread.

Leetle M.

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Siegfried correctly says
quote:
That would be relevant if 103 was an EM at an RC church. He isn't. It's an Anglican church.
True, Siegfried. I posted that for our Roman Catholic participants to read. Sorry that it was not relevant to the thread.

Leetle M.

No worries. There just has been confusion earlier on the thread as to whether 103 was Anglican or RC.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peronel:
quote:
Things have changed a lot since then. (It's now even more hectic now actually :S) but that's not the point!

If it's even more hectic, are you surprised that a visitor didn't know where the hell to go? And that - just maybe - she needed guidance rather than grabbing?

Or are you still convinced that scaring her off was the right thing because, rather than just being confused by your "hectic" and unusual Anglican church, she just might have been planning on using Our Lord as a pessary?

Peronel.

Erm no. She had just recieved the Blood of Christ from me when I noticed that she was clutching onto the host. She moved very quickly away from me after recieving and she needed to stopped.
What did she expect to do? It's quite a simple process!

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As amusing as it would be to speculate on whether 103rd will go to hell when he dies (which, it seems to me, is rather consequent on the degree of the Romish errors he accepts in due course), I want to return to blaspheming and desecration.

(OK, I really want to talk about vaginas and Satanism, but that discussion didn't seem to have legs).

So, back to Original Post.

Lots of people sell relics on e-bay. Is that blasphemous?

If the person with the Pope's wafer had given it away, would that have been blasphemous?

Would it be less of a desceration if the previous owner of the Pope's wafer took it home and kept it wrapped in linen and kept a light burning before it?

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
(OK, I really want to talk about vaginas and Satanism, but that discussion didn't seem to have legs).

Vaginas generally don't. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What did she expect to do? It's quite a simple process!

She may have been trying to be sure she got out of everyone else's way, and made it to a safe place, where she wouldn't be clobbered by an errant acolyte or someone cutting across to get to their preferred chalice, so that she could stand and quietly and reverently consume the host.

Which should be simple, I'll grant. But given the description from the MW report, it may not have seemed so at all to her!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As amusing as it would be to speculate on whether 103rd will go to hell when he dies (which, it seems to me, is rather consequent on the degree of the Romish errors he accepts in due course), I want to return to blaspheming and desecration.

So would I [Big Grin]
quote:

Well - It's not very dignified but I wouldn't go as far to say that it is blasphemous. Relics have always been traditionally traded amoung churches. In medieval times there was a HUGE trade for relics if I remember correctly!
quote:

If the person with the Pope's wafer had given it away, would that have been blasphemous?

He had no right to have it outside of church so of course it would!
quote:

Would it be less of a desceration if the previous owner of the Pope's wafer took it home and kept it wrapped in linen and kept a light burning before it?

Again - he had no right to have it outside of church!

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

- Posted      Profile for Go Anne Go   Author's homepage   Email Go Anne Go   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh! Go away!

[Paranoid]

So things have gotten worse by your own admission, and when confronted with this, your highly immature reaction is "Oh! Go away!"

[Killing me] [Killing me] I can't stand it. The horror! The horror! I'm nearly wetting myself picturing it! The chaos! The lack of training! The massive immaturity! The possible special needs of the children they pick for serving at the altar! Run for your lives! Women and children and frail first! [Killing me] [Killing me]

What did she expect to do? The phrase "try to make it out alive" comes to mind. No doubt when you grabbed her and hissed at her it meant her worst fears were coming true!

--------------------
Go Anne Go, you is the bestest shipmate evah - Kelly Alveswww.goannego.com

Posts: 2227 | From: Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three): <snip>
You weren't there, you aren't me!
<snip>

I think that's called solepsism [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three): <snip>
You weren't there, you aren't me!
<snip>

I think that's called solepsism [Disappointed]
WTF?!?!? Oh you can go away too!

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

I'm pondering the possibility of sending MW hit squads to 103's church on daring, undercover, sacrament raids. Prizes for the most daring heist or the most improbable hiding place. That sort of thing.

Then we could all meet up afterwards for tea and currant buns, and tell stories of being hissed at.

I should know better than to post after midnight. Surrealness happens.

Peronel.

[ 14. April 2005, 23:30: Message edited by: Peronel ]

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

- Posted      Profile for Go Anne Go   Author's homepage   Email Go Anne Go   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, 103, similar to the way repeating "I was right and I know it" isn't working for you, this "Oh go away" repitition isn't exactly making you look any better either.

Of course, neither is the fact that the MW wasn't entirely complimentary about either the children or the eucharist in your church, and your admission that it is worse now.

--------------------

Posts: 2227 | From: Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
I'm pondering the possibility of sending MW hit squads to 103's church on daring, undercover, sacrament raids. Prizes for the most daring heist or the most improbable hiding place. That sort of thing.

Then we could all meet up afterwards for tea and currant buns, and tell stories of being hissed at.

Peronel.

Somehow I don't think Ship of Fools would apprechiate that sort of Criminal Activity being discussed on it's website.

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooh Peronel, can I come? I can think of some good hiding places. And I can certainly create a diversion.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

quote:
quote:

Peronel.

Somehow I don't think Ship of Fools would apprechiate that sort of Criminal Activity being discussed on it's website.

Speaking as both a UK and US qualified lawyer, I say
WHAT criminal activity??????????
Hate to break it to you but while not consuming the host right then and there may be against your personal canon law, once they hand it over, its a gift and they can't take it back.

Your battery in grabbing the woman, now....that's criminal activity.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Go Anne Go:
You know, 103, similar to the way repeating "I was right and I know it" isn't working for you, this "Oh go away" repitition isn't exactly making you look any better either.

Of course, neither is the fact that the MW wasn't entirely complimentary about either the children or the eucharist in your church, and your admission that it is worse now.

What can I say? I'm honest about what's going on at my church, and it's half past midnight and I'm posting on the Ship in order to put off finishing this horrible leaflet I have to do for R.S. about Abortion and the pros and the cons. (Don't get me started about Abortion, I get very depressed when I think about it)

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

quote:

Come on now. I know currant buns aren't to everyone's taste, but criminal?

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:
quote:

Peronel.

Hate to break it to you but while not consuming the host right then and there may be against your personal canon law, once they hand it over, its a gift and they can't take it back.

A "Sacrament Raid suggests" a robbery of some sort where you would go into the church when nobody is looking and try to steal the sacrament out of the tabernacle.

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

Let's see, you obviously haven't read my recent contribution in Purg on the Jihad thread. Don't get me started on holier than thou virgin males raving on about how abortion makes them depressed.

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peronel.

A "Sacrament Raid suggests" a robbery of some sort where you would go into the church when nobody is looking and try to steal the sacrament out of the tabernacle.

Not in the context of this thread it doesn't.

--------------------

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the article here, it's a serious crime, strictly forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church, to sell a first-class relic (the article identifies the particular canon, etc). This article is especially addressing internet sales.

If I remember my "weird medieval factoids" correctly, King Charles of France had a dinner party in the late 14th century where he handed out the ribs of his sainted ancestor Louis as gifts to his honored guests.

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

quote:
quote:

Come on now. I know currant buns aren't to everyone's taste, but criminal?
I do so love a good current bun, me.

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

quote:
Originally posted by Sienna:
According to the article here, it's a serious crime, strictly forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church, to sell a first-class relic (the article identifies the particular canon, etc). This article is especially addressing internet sales.

I believe the ebay sales typically emphasise that they're selling the reliquary and that the relic is just a gift, presumably for just that reason. Have to say that that doesn't make it any the less distasteful in my book.

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

quote:

If I remember my "weird medieval factoids" correctly, King Charles of France had a dinner party in the late 14th century where he handed out the ribs of his sainted ancestor Louis as gifts to his honored guests.

Ah, but that's canon law, not English law.

--------------------

Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

- Posted      Profile for Siena   Author's homepage   Email Siena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yes, which was why I added the phrase "by the Roman Catholic Church," and made the reference to the canon....but I suppose the more, er, young and intense among us could become confused and start making citizen's arrests and wrestling people to the ground or something, so probably a wise clarification.

[ 14. April 2005, 23:56: Message edited by: Sienna ]

--------------------
The lives of Christ's poor people are starved and stunted; their wages are low; their houses often bad and insanitary and their minds full of darkness and despair. These are the real disorders of the Church. Charles Marson

Posts: 709 | From: San Diego, California, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wonder if the sauce was spicy, sweet, or both?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siena

Ship's Bluestocking
# 5574

I'm just warped enough to try to imagine the thank-you note composed within the prescribed amount of time after the party.

"Gracious Sovereign, thank you SO very much for the lovely rib. It's certainly a unique gift that added much to the flavor of our evening. I'm sure the Duke and I will enjoy it for many, many years."

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

quote:

Nahhh. I was imagining something much more along the lines of an ecclesiastical version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Or perhaps Zorro.

You know the sort of thing. The church is full ... the thurifer swings wildly ... the faithful queue up for their shot of Jesus, and return. In one pew, somewhere towards the back on the Gospel side, a worshipper - all unsuspected - smiles slightly to herself. The only signs of her passing is the strange sign cut into the chasuble and a trace of her perfume, mixing incongrously with the incense.

Hmmm. I really need to go to sleep.

Peronel.

--------------------

Go Anne Go

Amazonian Wonder
# 3519

Don't forget the card in the collection plate! It is key to a MW visit!

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

quote:
I'm just warped enough to try to imagine the thank-you note composed within the prescribed amount of time after the party.

"Gracious Sovereign, thank you SO very much for the lovely rib. It's certainly a unique gift that added much to the flavor of our evening. I'm sure the Duke and I will enjoy it for many, many years."

I guess everyone has one or two mind-bogglingly ugly vases given to them by assorted elderly maiden aunts. Ettiquete forbids throwing them away. Instead, they must be carefully stored, then brought out and put on proud display whenever the giver visits.

This would be worse.

Peronel.

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Raisin cakes!!!
It definitely is Satanism then [Paranoid]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am of the opinion that the moment the eucharist touches the lips of an unbeliever it becomes plain ole bread and wine. Isn't faith in communion the foundation of the act? Since when did symbols take on a life of their own and glow in the dark?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
Raisin cakes!!!

I thought raisin cakes were for Goddess worship? I'm so confused.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I am of the opinion that the moment the eucharist touches the lips of an unbeliever it becomes plain ole bread and wine. Isn't faith in communion the foundation of the act? Since when did symbols take on a life of their own and glow in the dark?

St. Paul seemed to think that they could be downright harmful if not deadly to people who didn't have the right sort of faith. But I suppose we are more sophisticated nowadays than that simple first-century nonsense.

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Raisin cakes!!!

Ah, probably (I wouldn't really know), but the black mass 103 linked to seemed to overlap in some of the symbolism with the Goddess worship, oh, no, I've been reading too much Da Vinci code again [Paranoid]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been fun, and I grab most opportunities to rib the ritualists, and I don't know if one is supposed to say nice things about people in Hell, but I'm becoming quite fond of Schoolboy 103. His actions sprang from [dreadful pun alert] zeal for the Lord of Hosts. He's fought his corner with tenacity if not discretion. He's even stuck to the OP more religiously than most of us subsequent posters. On many occasions, in church and outside, I've been at least as embarrassed by over-enthusiastic young proselytisers from my own end of the anglican spectrum.
So God bless you One-O-Three, in whichever corner and chrism in Christ's church the Spirit leads you [Votive]
FD

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Holy party favors! What a brilliant idea! Such a more personal touch than handing out the banquet flower arrangements. [Two face]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And so 103 discovers the single most effective way to get picked on - by being a whiney loser. I bet the little spud still has painful flashbacks to tauntings he suffered at the hands of cruel 5th-graders... last year.

Here's a general question:
So, since you've got the body of christ in your mouth, is the correct wine a Chianti? And where do the fava beans come into it?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Raisin cakes!!!

The Isrealites turned away from God and ate the sacred raisin cakes.

I know this text, but darned if I can remember where its from.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peronel.

Maybe someone could be sued for nicking the host, because it could be construed as a violation of the implied EULA? [Razz]
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
So, since you've got the body of christ in your mouth, is the correct wine a Chianti?

Try to pay attention, heathen scum. This is so obvious I'm embarassed on your behalf that I even have to say this. The correct wine to go with the Body of Christ is the Blood of Christ.

quote:
And where do the fava beans come into it?
They don't.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
St. Paul seemed to think that they could be downright harmful if not deadly to people who didn't have the right sort of faith. But I suppose we are more sophisticated nowadays than that simple first-century nonsense.

Sounds like Voodoo to me; but of course I'm fairly unsophisticated.

Still I think our Lord Darth Vader's comments apply here:
quote:
"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you to conjure up
the stolen data tapes..."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Still I think our Lord Darth Vader's comments apply here:
quote:
"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you to conjure up
the stolen data tapes..."

Actually those words were spoken not BY Darth Vader, but TO Darth Vader, by a man who was immediately thereupon strangled by Darth Vader from across the room, using the ancient religion in question. This hardly seems to support your case. [Killing me]

--------------------

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As I said before - taking the Pope-consecrated wafer home, lighting candles etc. etc is veneration but it is missing out on the point of the Mass and of Holy Communion big time. The same point applies to giving it away. Then there's the question of simony and selling the sacraments by selling a consecrated host. IIRC simony caused all sorts of problems for the Catholic Church, starting with that Luther chap and going on from there... it's a sensitive subject, you know. [Biased]

As for whether selling relics on eBay is blasphemous - see my earlier point about crass celebrity souvenir hunting, even for those who don't accept that selling a consecrated host is at least disrespectful to Catholic belief.

I liked your other point too:
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's TrickBack to the Original Post. Do you suppose the purchaser of the papal host ate it when it arrived? Did he genuflect as the postman came up the walk?

Does Ritual Notes have a section for dealing with a Host in the post?

I think I may have been the only person to have taken any notice of it. [Killing me] Can we talk among ourselves?

I can't imagine why the Vatican has never commented on this vital question. They must be slacking.

Unless the recipient of the Blessed Post had a sacrarium in their garden, then naturally the consecrated host would have to be reverently consumed on the spot. (Or even if they did have one, come to think of it.) The accidents of the Precious Body might be rather stale though.

Genuflection to the postman would be optional but a tad extreme. I can't imagine any moral blame would attach if it were not done. Can't expect the faithful to have X-ray vision after all.

Of course there are many posters much more expert than me, with all sorts of violently held opinions about eucharistic practice and belief. Most of them seem to have posted on this thread. [Killing me]

103: Henry, you should have taken my advice to stop digging.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Actually those words were spoken not BY Darth Vader, but TO Darth Vader, by a man who was immediately thereupon strangled by Darth Vader from across the room, using the ancient religion in question. This hardly seems to support your case.
You're right. Guess Voodoo works.

Where do I sign up?

[ 15. April 2005, 02:47: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this is probably the Lutheran in me, but I tend to agree that the reciever's faith is an essential element in the consecration of the host. I tend to disagree with he idea that any whackjob with esoteric ideas about gross things to do with the host can have any power to do anything except make himself look like an idiot. I think that St. Paul's references to people coming to the Table unprepared were in the context of" Look, here is how you set out the board, here are the rules for basic behaviour, after that if anyone wants to fuck around it's their funeral." I think his statements were intended to take the heat off the clergy as far as having to "nanny" people. That is my wacky, unsophisticated take on things.Takes all kinds to make christendom, I guess.

And I also come to the Board with a decision to believe in the Real Presence. And I found RooK's fava bean comment kinda funny, despite that. I also think he should change his title from HellHost to "Heathen Scum."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, I think Jesus can take care of Himself and I'm quite sure whoever partakes of Him in the wrong spirit will likely get quite a surprise of some sort or other. [Eek!]
Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, I don't think so. I think if you partake in the wrong spirit, you just muddle along with faint feeling you've missed something, even if just being a part of the whole business. I think if you muck around with the Elements in a more creative/ "blasphemous" way, you are pretty much your own Karma by virtue of being a childish idiot with a lack of meaningful ways to express your own angst/ whatever at religion.
I really do not believe (anymore) that God wastes any time on these people, even to curse them.

[ 15. April 2005, 03:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I think if you muck around with the Elements in a more creative/ "blasphemous" way, you are pretty much your own Karma by virtue of being a childish idiot with a lack of meaningful ways to express your own angst/ whatever at religion.

Plus, you'll have crumbs in your cooch.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016