homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: 'Support' threads (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: 'Support' threads
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Or it could be that the inner ring is a myth. Perpetuated by those who wish there was one so they could join.

Perpetuated by denial. Very slinky! Damn, we're clever.

Shhh, Shhh, it's the latest plan to put them off the scent, didn't you get the pm?

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Shhh, Shhh, it's the latest plan to put them off the scent, didn't you get the pm?

Damn it, I knew there would be consequences to letting my PM box get full. I'll go clear it out forthwith.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel*:
On the contrary, I am not feeling left out at all. I am just sick of seeing so many threads dedicated to, so called, support when they are in fact only a stage for showing off your achievements.

Come late to this, but what the hell.

I never realised that my suffering depression was an achievement, I had always made the mistake of seeing it as a burden, even a curse. You have opened my eyes to the true glory of my disease. I should obviously stop taking my antidepressants now and instead bask in the radiance of my great and wonderous achievement!

Oh, and if being depressed proves I'm reall clever, does that mean I should put it on my CV and ask to be given a pay rise because of it? [Devil]

Really, of all the tasteless garbage. Has it occurred to you just how offensive this is to people who have serious problems and need help?

I wrote a thesis once, and failed to get through two vivas, and I'd have been a lot happier if there'd been a support organisation for me: I'd probably not have suffered one of my bouts of depression. But there I am, bragging again.

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like I said, she needs a life. An interesting life. [Devil]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

Ship's Animal & Nature Lover
# 4690

- Posted      Profile for *The lowly Church mouse*   Email *The lowly Church mouse*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you should be well aware, if you had read this thread - the support thread I was referring to was the theseis support thread in particular.

Caz.. observed this at a very early stage.

If people make a post on a support thread, whatever the topic, it is good and helpful for at least someone to respond to said individual.

Flausa, I am allowed a personal 'in crowd' with members of my family. I don't have to share my day-to-day life on these boards.

Pants - you are correct, I have been very busy this last year, hence the lack of postings, but I have observed and read SOF threads along the way.

In the end I am entitled to my own opinions on what support threads I consider to be useful and those that are not in my view, also those which purport to offer help/support, then only do so to certain people.

That lack of care for all contributors is what I wished to address here.

--------------------
Surrounded by water, swans, ducks, birds & animals.

Posts: 1333 | From: Surrey | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If people make a post on a support thread, whatever the topic, it is good and helpful for at least someone to respond to said individual.

Yes, maybe. But, remember, this is a discussion forum. Not a self-help group, or an AA group or any other sort of help group. If you need support, for any reason, depending on a bunch of people on a website is probably not really the best idea.

And, to pick up on another point, people probably support people they know more. I know that I would be a lot more likely to post a message or send a PM of support to someone I have either met in real life, or who I have chatted to a lot online. There are over 9000 members on this board. To expect each one to care for everyone is a little too much, and would result in 'pat' comments anyway. I would value a true PM or a message from 1 friend on board than a inbox full of pat messages from people I have never met.

Get a grip and realise that The Ship is not a support group.

Tom Day

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

- Posted      Profile for *The lowly Church mouse*   Email *The lowly Church mouse*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom, I DO NOT expect support from the Ship.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bullshit. You're here complaining that you haven't been supported on the support threads!

Tom Day is spot on. You've already said that you haven't been around much lately due to having stuff going on in real life. If you're not around much, people don't feel like they know you, and thus they're less likely to reach out and be supportive.

How much support have you offered to others?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

Ruth I am not complaining about me.... please read the thread before you make judgements.
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll add to that [TD's post above] that I'm so bored and irritated and mystified by the sheer lameness of this thread that I had a trawl through the whole damned thesis thread myself and have not the faintest idea what you could be going on about. I bear grudges, you know.

I had a hunch about whom Angel* might be "concerned" on behalf of there, checked it out and am now utterly stumped. If it's not you yourself, Angel*, who has been slighted by the Nasty Big Boys and Girls, who are you worried about - and who the shitting-crikey appointed you guardian of their well-being?

[Cross-post train-wreck]

[ 15. March 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get it, people post stuff that people don't immediately respond to all the time, all over the board. Never occured to me that it was some sort of deliberate shunning before. I figured it just happens.

And anyway, just because something doesn't get a response doesn't mean it's not been read. Plenty of times people have come up to me at meets or PM'ed me a few days later on something I thought had fallen flat. You just gotta post what you think is right and hope that it will reach the person who needs to hear it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Angel, you are taking offense for someone else. I have a large guess as to who that is, as a certain someone on this thread has admitted to knowing you IRL, and said individual has also posted on the thread in question. Looking at that thread, said individual actually has had people respond to her posts. As I say, Angel you should let your daughter make her own calls to Hell. You just make yourself look like an over-protective mother and her a pouty, gutless, whinging baby. How's that for support?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

Dear Flausa
It was my thread - my opinion - my right to post.
You however, should not be so very rude and 'out' people who would prefer to remain nameless.

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Angel, the only person who's "outed" anyone is you. Anyone with half a brain can suss on who's behalf you are being offended. But thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I don't get it, people post stuff that people don't immediately respond to all the time, all over the board. Never occured to me that it was some sort of deliberate shunning before. I figured it just happens.

And anyway, just because something doesn't get a response doesn't mean it's not been read. Plenty of times people have come up to me at meets or PM'ed me a few days later on something I thought had fallen flat. You just gotta post what you think is right and hope that it will reach the person who needs to hear it.

Amen to that!

[Big Grin]

Pax Romana
(Enthusiastic Member of the "Not-So-In-Group" but still having fun on the Ship)

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem was, Angel*, it was inevitable that the cover would be blown. I have never encountered either of you before and I was able to work out pretty quickly what was going on.

If you don't want it personal, be more careful.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You seem to be missing the whole point of a bulletin board. It's not a telephone conversation, or even a pub conversation. You write what you write, and put it out there for people to read. There is no obligation on readers to respond directly, or even at all.

There are any number of reasons why a person might not get a direct response. Maybe what they posted added nothing new to the conversation. Maybe readers had no pertinent advice to offer. Maybe the post was uncontroversial, so nobody felt the need to disagree (most responses are in disagreement, discussion board, remember.). Maybe the post was so long nobody made it to the end. Maybe everybody was laughing too hard to type. Maybe everybody thought 'Oh my, Rat has encapulated that issue so brilliantly in her wonderful post that there is just nothing to add'.

Maybe, and this is the most likely answer, people responded generally to the thread including your friend's posts without naming your friend directly. Which is how most ship conversations work.

Christ, I post all the time, and it's a rare treat if somebody quotes my post and responds directly - even if they're telling me I'm an idiot.

If you have a specific complaint maybe you (or better your friend) should spell it out. Because so far it looks like you are asking for threads full of 'I agree', 'me too' and [Overused] . That would cut down ship membership PDQ.

[There has evidently been an outing, which I missed. I knew I wasn't in the In Crowd. For what it's worth I still don't know who Angel* was talking about].

[ 15. March 2005, 16:19: Message edited by: Rat ]

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

Maybe a helpful little host, when trotting by, would close this thread - but please dear host, remember to transfer all the posts made by members of the 'In crowd' to the other Hell 'In crowd' support thread - it would be such a pity if their posts should be doomed to die a dreadful death and be left so that no one could reply to them.

You know who they are......
[Devil]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

Rat, you're an idiot. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why close it mid discussion? Has Angel conceded it was a dumb thread to start, or has everyone else agreed that she's right? i seemed to have missed something.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
Rat, you're an idiot. [Big Grin]

Aww, thank you [Smile]

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe a helpful little host <snip>

Ain't gonna happen, you whining little shit. I'm still waiting to hear who exactly you think is responsible for responding to each and every post made on a thread, regardless of its actual merit.

Flausa, "outing" people is bad. Helping stupid people "out" other people is also bad. Don't do it.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

Dear Rook
It is following Flausa's comments that I think you should close this thread please. This may be Hell but such personal comments should not be tolerated.
Many thanks

[ 15. March 2005, 16:45: Message edited by: Angel* ]

--------------------

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Flausa, "outing" people is bad. Helping stupid people "out" other people is also bad. Don't do it.

RooK, I apologize for helping a stupid person "out" another person. I won't do it again.
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tom, I DO NOT expect support from the Ship.

Excellent, cause you're not getting any from me.

And you can either read this and ignore it, read it and complain back at me, or read it and get someone else to start a thread complaining that somebody doesn't like you.

You take your choices you live with the consequences - my 12 year olds understand that.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ruth I am not complaining about me.... please read the thread before you make judgements.

Oh, so you're thoughtfully here in Hell on other people's behalf? Aren't you just the bestest!

And as for your plea to have the thread closed, didn't you read the guidelines for Hell before you posted? You know, where it says if you post in Hell you paint a big target on yourself?

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

And as for your plea to have the thread closed, didn't you read the guidelines for Hell before you posted? You know, where it says if you post in Hell you paint a big target on yourself?

You mean she might want it closing because she's now under fire? Oh i didn't think of that...that's what i missed!

M

--------------------

*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

Dear Ruth
As you will see, I have asked this to be closed as the rules have been broken by another poster - for no other reason.
Many thanks

--------------------

Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have asked this to be closed as the rules have been broken by another poster - for no other reason.

Who died and made you a host?

Angel, sweetlips, you could have chosen to address the lack of support you perceive by posting supportively on the thread(s) in question.

Instead, you chose to throw a pity party, accusing people of "showing off". And you're suprised that people are pissed off?

Peronel.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

la la la la - I'm not listening! [Big Grin] [Devil]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Dear Ruth
As you will see, I have asked this to be closed as the rules have been broken by another poster - for no other reason.
Many thanks

You really don't know what makes the hellhosts close threads, do you?
*The lowly Church mouse*

# 4690

I'm quite happy for you to carry on without me.

Feel free!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
la la la la - I'm not listening! [Big Grin] [Devil]

la la la la - wouldn't make any difference if you were! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel*: As you should be well aware, if you had read this thread - the support thread I was referring to was the theseis support thread in particular.
As the shipmate who was asked to start the SECOND Thesis support thread...
The thread was originally started by Innanna (sp?), as far as I am aware that first thread was started for people who were working towards PhD's, MA's etc. It was a thread where people could ask questions about, for example, Bibliography software, and also to ask questions to those who were more advanced along the 'research' line.

When that thread made the ten pages or more and was due to be closed, a few shipmates, including myself, asked if it was possible to start another PhD thread.
The answer was "yes". Hence the thread No 2 being opened, with hostly permission, by me.

It is meant to be a thread for asking questions about software etc, and also to report on our personal progresses.

It is certainly NOT about an in-crowd. Anyone is welcome to post on the thread.

People do not post on the thread everyday... perhaps this is because we are actually working [Roll Eyes] But when we choose to post, more often than not we receive feedback from others.

It is not an exclusive thread.

Yes, it is a thread where we feel free to report on our good progresses as well as our bad times... is that so wrong?

IMHO, we are not writing 'blogs' on the thread. We are just reporting on, as I have said, your highs, lows and progresses.

If that is so wrong, let a Host close the thread.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Lady of the Lake
Shipmate
# 4347

- Posted      Profile for The Lady of the Lake   Email The Lady of the Lake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are support threads really for the giving and receiving of support or just the opportunity for small groups of people to form cliques?
There are a few at the moment where every Tom, Dick & Harry jumps in with an 'I've been there', 'I've done that' when, in fact, they have not the experience to offer any valuable support.
Mutual back slapping is not support, it is a way of saying 'I'm better than you' and showing off.

Well I started one of the support threads (on spiritual direction) and I'm just wondering why complain about support threads ? They're not there because we feel wonderful about ourselves -they're there because we feel clueless and because sometimes we're wary of the way professionals deal with our issues. I can't see any mutual backslapping or showing off on the spiritual direction thread. At least, not yet... [Killing me]

--------------------
If I had a coat, I would get it.

Posts: 1272 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the contrary, I am not feeling left out at all. I am just sick of seeing so many threads dedicated to, so called, support when they are in fact only a stage for showing off your achievements.

quote:
As you should be well aware, if you had read this thread - the support thread I was referring to was the theseis support thread in particular.

Ah, the sweet whirr, click, whirr of furious back-pedalling! So what about the 'so many [other] threads' that make you feel sick, then? If you're referring to one support thread 'in particular', then that makes one singular - which is some way off 'so many', even by my shaky grasp of maths.

[ 15. March 2005, 17:20: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm quite happy for you to carry on without me.

Feel free!

[Big Grin]

That would be about the 389th time I've heard on this board a variation of the "I'm outta here so you guys can all kiss my butt." statement.

You'll lurk on this thread. Given sufficient incentive, you'll post.

[ 15. March 2005, 17:21: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angel you might like this quote from How to get PhD Estelle M. Phillips and Derek S. Pugh
quote:
New postgraduates enter the system determined to make and outstanding contribution to their subject. By the time that they enter the final stages of thesis-writing for the degrees they are determined to 'get it and forget it!' During the intervening years their enthusiasm has been dampened by the demands of haveing to concentrate on a specific topic and conduct routine and repetive tasks in an atmosphere where nobody seems either to understand or to care about their work.
I know it's true but not from personal experience but having dealt with more students in the later stages of PhD writing than I care to count. My job means that they often turn to me in desperation. That is where my wisdom comes from in that thread. The task of over and over again talking students who believe their situation is hopeless through doing the analysis and submitting.

Added to that many theses here are part time which means that they are self funded, self motivating and often the only person writing a thesis they have regular contact with is themselves. These candidates do not even have access to the comradeship of fellow PhD students as they are not on campus.

I think that justifies a support thread.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
My job means that they often turn to me in desperation. That is where my wisdom comes from in that thread.

Ah-ha. So it's you who's responsible for responding to each and every post on that thread. And hosts think they have it hard, at least all they have to do is read.

I hope you are feeling suitably guilty for ignoring poor whoever-it-was's desperate pleas for attention, and starting this whole thing. Naughty Jengie.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
My job means that they often turn to me in desperation. That is where my wisdom comes from in that thread.

Ah-ha. So it's you who's responsible for responding to each and every post on that thread. And hosts think they have it hard, at least all they have to do is read.

I hope you are feeling suitably guilty for ignoring poor whoever-it-was's desperate pleas for attention, and starting this whole thing. Naughty Jengie.

No I am afraid the ship would have to pay me a good rate to do that (I think it works out at over £100 per hour but I have not done the calculation recently), just as my employer does and I still ignore a good few of the pleas that come from undergraduates as I have no responsibility to deal with those so ever, just like on the ship. [Razz]

Mind you the ship only has a handful compared with the thousands knocking around at work.

[ 15. March 2005, 17:36: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't get it, people post stuff that people don't immediately respond to all the time, all over the board. Never occured to me that it was some sort of deliberate shunning before.

I wish I as emotionally secure as you Kelly. I always take it personally if people don't respond to my posts. The problem with this is that I spend most of my time either offended or worried that I'm not interesting enough. Angel, have you considered the fact that, like me, you are both boring and easily offended?

p.s. answer my previous posting you gits orteddy sleeps on the floor tonight...

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
RooK, I apologize for helping a stupid person "out" another person. I won't do it again.

Just to clarify, I wasn't making an Offical Proclamation™ - it was just my strongly held opinion as a shipmate. If Angel is going to nebulously hint at representing someone else, it's hard to not guess at what it might mean. I just worry about where it might lead.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of the Lake:
...I can't see any mutual backslapping or showing off on the spiritual direction thread. At least, not yet... [Killing me]

My icon of St Mary of Egypt is now laughing and this morning she told me to prepare my camel for a lengthy journey. I'll be along to your thread momentarily. cackle, cackle [Two face]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I stay the fuck out of Ecclesiantics.I am sure I am not missed.

Oh, I don't know...I went to Ecclesiantics once and wandered around vaguely for hours going, "What's wrong? It's not like the other boards...something's missing here..."

Now I know.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but then Kelly commenting on this would be...well, just like every other board on SOF.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Falling Star
Shipmate
# 5006

- Posted      Profile for Falling Star   Author's homepage   Email Falling Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angel* I have to say I agree with you. Some people are so full of shite on this Board that if they sneezed it would leak out. It is so cliquey that some people even quote each other in their sigs for flips sake!

--------------------
Total victory......

Posts: 447 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One person's in-crowd is another person's out-crowd. This was brought home to me very clearly when I had gone through a time of great distress and was on the point of leaving a church; someone said, 'but I thought you were one of the in-crowd'. Yeah, right! [Roll Eyes]

That said, some people on the ship have met each other in real life and become great friends. It would be surprising if that did not show in their posts, or their sigs. Are we to treat good friends the same as total strangers, just to keep everyone happy?

Angel and Falling Star you sound like good friends already, to some of us you may appear like an in-crowd. See how it happens? Naturally over time, by having an affinity with another person, not deliberately calculating. Honest. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah! You people are full of shite/shit (depending on country of origin). Stuck up meanies. Don't you know I'm A Person Too? Just because I'm paranoid and generally unpleasant doesn't mean I don't have feelings. Did you ever think of that? Did you?

No. You all just go around sucking up to each other, patting each other on the back and quoting each other in your signatures. You think you're cool but you're not. And this is just a stupid little discussion board. You're all losers. Just like me.

I'd leave and never come back, but I don't have anyplace else to go.

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m.t_tomb:
quote:
I don't get it, people post stuff that people don't immediately respond to all the time, all over the board. Never occured to me that it was some sort of deliberate shunning before.

I wish I as emotionally secure as you Kelly. I always take it personally if people don't respond to my posts. The problem with this is that I spend most of my time either offended or worried that I'm not interesting enough. Angel, have you considered the fact that, like me, you are both boring and easily offended?

p.s. answer my previous posting you gits orteddy sleeps on the floor tonight...

Did someone say something? [Biased]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Ah, but then Kelly commenting on this would be...well, just like every other board on SOF.

Gotta admit, I check that every once in a while just to see if the priest goes by.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016