homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Getting to grips with Anglo-Catholicism (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Getting to grips with Anglo-Catholicism
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Overseas you have the Dioceses of Fort Worth, Quincy

and of course almost all of the Diocese of Chicago and almost anyplace in Wisconsin.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry103:
Marrage is only for the procreation of life!

I'm sorry to hear that your strain of Anglo-Catholicism excludes from Holy Matrimony, those who are infertile, and those who are past child-bearing age.

Does your parish priest have a pastorally-sensitive process set up for occasions when he is confronted with a couple incorporating one or more infertile person enquiring about marriage?

I would be interested to know if there are any tailor-made liturgies for the blessing of such relationships instead of a wedding, and if so, what your views on this are on the adoption of liturgies based on theology that is not in accordance with your aforementioned ACTTRCAP Catholic outlook.

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pax Britannica
Shipmate
# 1876

- Posted      Profile for Pax Britannica   Email Pax Britannica       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The most Anglo-Catholic diocese in the world is probably Ballarat (mind you, it's pretty small).

I would venture to offer Your Grace the diocese of Sarawak. Albeit within the orbit of Singapore (which, though exceedingly sound in many ways, has gone sadly astray in the wearing of birettas and the use of incense) the influence of His Highness Rajah James Brooke in establishing an independent diocese in his dominions enabled a quite different churchmanship which has flourished to this day. As is invariably the case, Full Catholic Privileges™ ensure large and thriving congregations in that southern isle. High Mass at S. Thomas Cathedral, Kuching, is quite an experience.
Fooferan
Shipmate
# 6830

- Posted      Profile for Fooferan   Email Fooferan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
<snip> I understood that the church in the West Indies was pretty A/C - is that actually true?

This was true in my experience. I was in the Diocese of Guyana (which included Suriname), part of the Province of the West Indies. Things had a very "Catholic" flavor, and indeed our priest and the bishop were on very good terms with the RC in Paramaribo (capitol of Suriname).

People crossed themselves, prayed the Hail Mary, etc. The Eucharist was celebrated with all due ceremony including incense, whenever Father Thomas could make it over from Guyana (once a month or less). Things were a bit looser when we lay readers did Morning Prayer; we often didn't have an organist--usually didn't sing Matins w/gusto.... [Help]

Although--dare I mention it--the WI BCP seems to owe much to the 1979 Episcopal Prayer Book....

Bishop George ("his Lordship") didn't have a problem with my preaching and leading services as a lay reader, but when personnel are scarce you take what you can get. . . . [Biased]

--------------------
"Who is most true and pleasing to thee then
When she is embraced and open to most men." John Donne

Posts: 186 | From: Guadalajara, Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Casting a stern eye at Back-to-Front:

Quick Hostly Reminder

Since we're on a new page, and some people might not be aware of previous Host Warnings:

Any discussion of procreation as the sole purpose of marriage belongs in Hell or Purgatory and is not a suitable subject for MW.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Crotalus: You may be right about Fr. Lowder being the first English priest to be called "Father," but I do think the Americans were quite ahead of the English if that is the case. James Lloyd Breck was referring to men like Richard Fish Cadle as "Father Cadle" back in 1841:

quote:
Brother Hobart suggests the propriety of his preceding us by a week or two, as Father Cadle wished to visit his mother before returning West, not having seen her for five years. Brother Adams and myself leave for New York to-morrow morning to digest preliminaries. We hope to return to Bristol, with permission to remain until the first of September.
from his letters

quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken:
Protestants stopped calling priests "Father" as a way of marking themselves off from Roman Catholics.

Priests (at least secular priests) were not called "Father" until long after the reformation; in mediaeval times they were called "Sir".

Among English recusants priests were addressed as "Mr" until the late nineteenth century. It seems that use of the title "Father" arose at the same time in RC and AC circles. I have indeed heard the opinion maintained that the first English (secular) priest to be called "Father" was Charles Lowder (an anglican - of St Peter's, London Docks)

--------------------
"Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Posts: 406 | From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fooferan
Shipmate
# 6830

- Posted      Profile for Fooferan   Email Fooferan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More thoughts on A/C practice in the West Indies....

Some of the finer points of A/C observance as put forth on the MW board depend on funds and resources not available worldwide. Our paraments and linens weren't all quite up to snuff. I worked on getting some new stuff made, but was only able to take it so far-- and that was with my donating significantly towards fabric. The priest wasn't around much of the time, leaving things in the hands of not-always-well-informed laypeople. Sometimes people were confused as to the liturgical season/color. We had one server, and when he didn't show up--well, you make do.

Not to mention that the climate is not at all conducive to the donning of full vestments. . . . [Mad] (I'm not mad, I'm just roasting in the tropical heat and humidity.) No air conditioning of course. The church didn't even have a vacuum cleaner to properly care for the section of red carpet at the front (the rest of the floor was concrete). I always had to spritz my legs with bugspray or they'd be eaten alive during the service, and it doesn't do for the leader to be scratching away in the prie dieu. (Sometimes my baby played beneath it though.) [Smile]

--------------------
"Who is most true and pleasing to thee then
When she is embraced and open to most men." John Donne

Posts: 186 | From: Guadalajara, Mexico | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Panis Angelicus
Shipmate
# 3795

- Posted      Profile for Panis Angelicus   Email Panis Angelicus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PB, are you sure it's not the Diocese of Kuching you're meaning?

One of their parishes has a website on which we can find out that we are their "humble visitors."

There's also St. Helena, quite an Anglo-Catholic place, with ordained subdeacons and I believe a constitutional ban of some kind on innovations in the apostolic ministry.

quote:
Originally posted by Pax Britannica:
quote:
The most Anglo-Catholic diocese in the world is probably Ballarat (mind you, it's pretty small).

I would venture to offer Your Grace the diocese of Sarawak. Albeit within the orbit of Singapore (which, though exceedingly sound in many ways, has gone sadly astray in the wearing of birettas and the use of incense) the influence of His Highness Rajah James Brooke in establishing an independent diocese in his dominions enabled a quite different churchmanship which has flourished to this day. As is invariably the case, Full Catholic Privileges™ ensure large and thriving congregations in that southern isle. High Mass at S. Thomas Cathedral, Kuching, is quite an experience.

--------------------
"Was there any difficulty in the Bishop's putting his hand in your bosom, arising from the fashion of your dress?"--Trial of Bishop Onderdonk of New York, 1844, p. 62.

Posts: 406 | From: New York City | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent alert:

quote:
Originally posted by Fooferan:
I was in the Diocese of Guyana (which included Suriname), part of the Province of the West Indies.

This reminds me of an occasion a few years back when we hosted a service for the Association of Guyanese Nurses. I was cringing in embarrassment when the visiting preacher kept referring to "your beautiful island" [Disappointed] .

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The103rd:
I'll put this thread into a different gear shall I?
Are there any dioceses where you are more likely to find an Anglo Catholic Church?

Llandaff, traditionally, but less so these days.
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it takes a very particular kind of argument to say that Article XXV allows for seven sacraments simply because the other five aren't explicitly ruled out. Including words like 'corrupt' in their description, and also using 'state of life' as opposed to 'Sacrament of the Gospel' makes the intentions of the authors pretty clear IMHO.

The Catechism in the 1662 BCP explicitly states that there are two only.

Better to quote Anglicans Online:

quote:
The Thirty-Nine Articles were important at the Reformation, but are less so today.
It might not be un-Anglican to believe in seven sacraments, but it can't be done from the Thirty Nine Articles.

[ 12. July 2004, 06:56: Message edited by: Sir George Grey. ]

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016