homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Ship of Fools does Eurovision (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Ship of Fools does Eurovision
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's that time again. In little over a month it will be that pan European cultural musical fesival that we all know and love. Do we want to have a ship one again this year or have we done that now. Personally I don't mind if we do.
Any takers?

[Title edited per OP request]

[ 18. June 2005, 16:14: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Did you see Jordan (or Katie Price as she now likes to be known)? [Disappointed] [Projectile] )

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Musical yes but "cultural"? We get a school folk-dance group for half-time entertainment. I reckon Britain is voted down every year in a Europe-wide effort to keep Morris Dancing off the telly.

How would this competition be run? Are there any "Christian" websites in Europe to provide competition? Un Bateau du Fou for example.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
(Did you see Jordan (or Katie Price as she now likes to be known)? [Disappointed] [Projectile] )

I did [Hot and Hormonal] - out of tine, out of place and out of luck.

I think I've heard the winning song before? Sounds rather like last year's winner.

They should sue [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal, if you have a game in mind, please suggest some rules, if you're looking for more of a discussion or story-telling thread, I think you might be better off in Heaven - alongside the previous Eurovision threads [Smile]

Gremlin, Circus Host.

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean Kylie Minogue won't be there?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would she be?

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've done this a couple of times now. Basically Shipmates choose a country, write a song and describe what happens. Then we can all vote.

And of course someone gets to be Terry Wogan.

Was it Jack the Lass who came up with 'All kinds of everything, but most of it's crap' last year? That's my preferred version now!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I din't make my self clear Gremlin. Yes my wife (Gill H) is as ever right. A shipmate picks a country (see Eurovision web site) and one person gets to be Terry making intresting comments. I usually play as France and if no one has any objection I would like to claim it this time.
The representative of each country posts the song lyrics (can use a known tune if they wish) and decribes the action on stage (skirts falling off, Isralie entry falling over and being protected by big guards sort of thing).
Usually the name of the on stage hosts are decided by Terry as the action comences. Each country does their owen intro and exit. After all the acts have perfomrmed then each country posts it's votes. The usual system applies. 1 is the lowest 8,10 and 12 the highest, Cyprus always give Greece 12 points etc.
Some nice person usually comes forth to sort out the scores. We have had a lot of fun with this in the past few years. So pick a country.

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

By the way there is not semi-final so when we get a good amount of entries we will start properly.
Hope that is all clearish.
Hugal

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the website, with the list of countries taking part.

Eurovision entries

The countries are in the European Broadcasting Union, which explains (or not) why people like Turkey and Israel are in it.

Non-UK shipmates - have a look at the site if you want to figure out what the heck we're talking about. But you don't have to know much about Eurovision to play the Ship version.

I'm sure there will be a Heaven thread on the real contest nearer the time (Nanny Ogg is probably sharpening her pencil already), so let's restrict this one to the Ship version.

So, anyone else want to pick a country?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I be Terry Wogan?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
***Tangent alert***

Has anyone clicked on the mulitmedia lounge to view the actual contestants?

Take a look at the Norwegians and you'll see what we're up against in the Ship contest! [Eek!]

And the Swiss are in leather [Biased]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I don't really want to feel her flow... I'm amazed at how much the Swedish I took at university helped me with the Norwegian: their lyrics are much better than Janine's.

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Was it Jack the Lass who came up with 'All kinds of everything, but most of it's crap' last year?

No. It was me. I still have a copy of that...

And this year I still want to be Princess Xena from the Ukraine.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Nanny Ogg:

And are called "Vanilla Ninjas"! With the haunting cries of
quote:
cool vibes why don’t you thrill me
cool vibes – why don’t you kill me

how could they not win?

Then again, they are against the talents of Martin Vucic, "grandson of a famous bagpipe player".

And the group from Bosnia-Herzegovina reminds me of Atomic Kitten!

This year promises not to disappoint!

[ 05. April 2005, 05:54: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Take a look at the Norwegians and you'll see what we're up against in the Ship contest! [Eek!]

[Killing me] -- Eurovision at its finest!
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I please be the Russian entrant please?

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Posts: 779 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

I'll take Turkey, please.

BTW your entry doesn't have to be anything like the real one. This is an imaginary version. Although you'd have difficulty being more outrageous than some of these guys.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hostly clown shoes on

Although there are remnants of a game in this thread, I think it is more heavenly in its appearance and aims. So, hang on until Eurovision reaches its heavenly home. (And I don't think you'll even hear Terry say that [Biased] )

Tom Day
Circus Host

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Ok Tom I bow to your hostly judgment.
So far;
Hugal.......France
Sir Kevin.....Terry
Gill H.......Turkey
Not too bad....Russia
Dragon........Eukraine.
Who is next

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOOhhhh! I was wondering it someone would take up the baton this year. Merci beaucoup, Hugal.

Now...I was Sweden last year, and Switzerland the year before. Any suggestions this time round?

Hold on a minute. I'll be back. [Devil]

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right! I'll be Austria, if that's OK with you, Hugal.

*strolls off hummming happily to herself* 'The hills are alive.....' [Angel]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I take Malta please. Already in the final and with a good track record without actually winning (as far as I know).

They are a bit early in the show but I'll take Chiara to knock a few judges out. She may wear the kind of costume that wouldn't have gone down so well with the national audience [Eek!]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Sioni Sais - just to clarify, this isn't a sweepstake on the real Eurovision. The Ship version will be entirely fictional. You can invent a character and make up a routine.

(Could a host change the title to 'Eurovision - the Ship version' or something similar, please, to avoid confusion? Thanks.)

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

I presume each country is allowed a promo video? Those can be more fun than the entry itself. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
***Tangent alert***

Ah! Shades of Helmuth Alpenhorn from Mr Miff's Swiss entry a while back! [Biased] I suppose I could resurrect him (Helmuth, not Mr Miffy) for Austria's contribution. From what I remember of the IRL contest, the entrants do tend to hop around around from country to country , after all. Or should I stick to my Sound of Music theme? I rather like the picture of this year's lot. A fair amount of skirt ripping potential there I reckon.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Sioni Sais - just to clarify, this isn't a sweepstake on the real Eurovision. The Ship version will be entirely fictional. You can invent a character and make up a routine.

(Could a host change the title to 'Eurovision - the Ship version' or something similar, please, to avoid confusion? Thanks.)

Thanks Gill.

I have read the other posts and decided to leave Chiara to whup the opposition in the real competition.

The Maltese entry on is by Pelli and Marika and is titled "Water Polo Boy".

We are good Catholic people here so the lyrics (sponsored by CISK™) and choreography (sponsored by Kinnie™) will follow shortly, but not before the weekend.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

I will be the Uk entry (for my sins) [Help]

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

From the looks of the real Austrian entry, they're not taking the contest too seriously either. [Big Grin]
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
I'll take Turkey, please.

BTW your entry doesn't have to be anything like the real one. This is an imaginary version. Although you'd have difficulty being more outrageous than some of these guys.

After looking at the Austrian and UK entries, I'm inclined to agree. [Eek!]

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so that will be the 'hedgehog song' will it Nanny? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

quote:
Originally posted by angelica37:
so that will be the 'hedgehog song' will it Nanny? [Big Grin]

Or perhaps the Wizard's Staff [Snigger]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Femminem are ever so much prettier than Eminem...
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Femminem are ever so much prettier than Eminem...

Is it just me who thinks that sounds like a feminine hygiene product?

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

***Tangent alert (again)***

A friend of mine is on a "treasure" hunt to obtain CDs of all 39 Eurovision entries. [Roll Eyes]

If you can help in any way pm me and I'll put you in contact with the euro nerd.

He will pay for the CDs(of course) - and yes he actually wants the original CDs not downloads [Help]

The friends I have - honestly I don't know how I cope [Biased]

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Dear host I started this thead in The Circus to make sure everyone understood it was a game. could a nice hostly person please change the title to Ship of Fools Does Eurovision or something simmilar. Thank you.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight, Hugal, I'm going to be the Federal Republic of Germany.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Hugal, are there going to be deadlines for registering/singing your entry etc. I know that some folks' net access is limited to certain times.
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Thanks Miffy we do need a date to register by. Lets say all entries have to be in by next Wednesday at the latest. We could then start the compertition at the weekend may be.
Hugal

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Ok new entries are:
Miffy...........Austria
Sioni Sais.....Malta (If you still want to be)
Nanny......Uk.
Along with:
Hugal......France [Smile]
Gill H.....Turkey
Not too bad.....Russia
Dragon......Eukraine
and Sir Kevin.....Terry.
Yes Miffy we can have a promo.The usual format is that once the onstage hosts have been decided by Terry, Each country has them introduce their entry, then each entry describes their Promo film, then the performance.(the funnier the better). I have already mentioned the scoring system.
Hugal

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Thank you hostly person vey much. [Smile]

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

You know, I'm going to have my work cut out to top anything the IRL Austrian entry can produce. Have a peep at Global Kyrner's site. Four folk clad in nothing but strategically placed musical instruments. I ask you! [Ultra confused]
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Estonian entry is once more ready to be loosed on an unsuspecting world...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

Ok Marvin......Estonia
Gill H just mailed me and asked me to make myself clearer and if she doen't understand me after nearly 10 years of happy marriage no one will.
Ok Wednesday is the closing date for people to claim a country and to register. Then everyone works feverishly on their entries and we pick a date that is best for everyone to have the actual compertition. I hope that has cleared any problems.
Ta very much
Hugal

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

OK Hugal. That's fine. FWIW, I seem to remember that last time round the actual performances were spread out over several days. (Whether by accident or design, I'm not sure!)Speaking for myself, I'm often away visiting family of a Saturday daytime, and Sunday is taken up. Evenings are generally easier though.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

What would you associate with Austria? 'The Sound of Music? Mozart? Vienna Boys' Choir, Freud? Arnie? How on earth do I incorporate all that lot into a song? Help me someone!! [Help]

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Dave P

stoned
# 2900

- Posted      Profile for Dave P   Email Dave P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will be the Uk entry (for my sins) [Help]

You've got a lot to live up to after last years astounding and unexpected victory.

I'll take Andorra please.

--------------------
ne Holy Stone

Posts: 736 | From: brum | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
What would you associate with Austria?

Skiing and Midge Ure.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

*bump* in the hopes that folk coming back from the pub will stumble across this thread and sign up. [Big Grin]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016