homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Does Scripture support the Trinity? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Does Scripture support the Trinity?
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elder Moroni:
The Old and New Testaments are seen as equal with the Book of Mormon, provided it is translated correctly.

[Roll Eyes]

That would be in the Joseph Smith rewrite?

quote:
However, said one prophet: "The Book of Mormon is the most righteous book ever to be upon the Earth, and is the keystone of our religion."
And which prophet would that be?

quote:
...The reason why we disagree is not because the Book of Mormon conflicts with traditional-Christianity, but because yours and my idea of God are abherrently different.
No, the Book of Mormon was written from a Christian point of view (as the "testimony" attests); it's Smith and the later "revelators" (and very convenient it is to be able to completely rewrite and reconfigure everything on a moment's notice, I'm sure) who turned it into the partial basis for a non-Christian religion.

I can't find the word "abherrently" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Could you provide a definition, please? Thank you!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It corrects it for us!

How Post-Modern of you.

Who knew the LDS was PoMo?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
...Who knew the LDS was PoMo?

Another convenience of getting to make it up as you go along...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse, Campbellite and others:

If you want to take pot-shots at the Church of the Latter Day Saints, then do so on the Hell thread. Otherwise what you have posted is needlessly inflammatory for Purgatory.

It's also a long way off topic.

Duo Seraphim, Purgatory Host

[ 06. May 2005, 08:03: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Ruthy, I'm enjoying this debate immensely! What did you make of what I posted here ? I'd really like to get to the nitty gritty of the divinity of the Holy Spirit on the basis that he has a temple before I move on to the evidence concerning his personality. Hope you're interested in continuing...

Sorry about the 'testament' tangent everyone; I just couldn't resist knocking a religion whose inaccuracies begin on the dust cover!

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle
Shipmate
# 4792

- Posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So we can't talk about God in three persons unless we have the understanding that they are all 'part' of one God? Can we say 'part' or is that a misunderstanding?

--------------------
where am I going... and why am I in this handbasket?

Posts: 318 | From: Kent, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
12uthy
Shipmate
# 9400

- Posted      Profile for 12uthy   Email 12uthy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
That's simple, and it's why I believe that God is Trinity. Jesus is God - as John himself tells us. Yet he is somehow distinct from God. Therefore, there is more than one person involved in God. Jesus relates to God perfectly as a son. The one who relates to God the Father perfectly as a son cannot be less than divine himself.

I don't agree as explained earlier I do not believe that John does tell us that Jesus is God, only that he is worthy of reverence because of his exulted position by God.

You say that Jesus relates to God perfectly as a son. which I concede completely.

I also concede that Jesus is divine since his exulted position at God's right hand is in full agreememt with God's will. I absolutely refute the idea that this means he must be God.

--------------------
Love 12uthy
(Romans 12:1) . . .present YOUR bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with YOUR power of reason.. . .

Posts: 213 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
12uthy
Shipmate
# 9400

- Posted      Profile for 12uthy   Email 12uthy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a quick note to say to ar,m.t_tomb and others I am on the case but I'm struggling to keep up as I have limited time on the comp due to other committments.

Just wanted to say I will get back and answer your questions asap

Agape

--------------------
Love 12uthy
(Romans 12:1) . . .present YOUR bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with YOUR power of reason.. . .

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
So we can't talk about God in three persons unless we have the understanding that they are all 'part' of one God? Can we say 'part' or is that a misunderstanding?

Yes, 'part' is a misunderstanding. I happy to explain but I'm off out...
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be a long one - sorry in advance.

Firstly, sorry for muddying the waters with the Revelation reference. I certainly didn't mean it as a kind of knock-down proof text! Also sorry for taking the discussion off-topic - but I am finding it difficult to actually engage with Elder Moroni in particular since (no offence) your approach to Scripture seems somewhat slippery - as soon as we start to get into the exegetics of why adoptionism/arianism is wrong, you cite the Mormon Scriptures as evidence against it since they provide the interpretative grid through which you read the Bible. Perhaps we need another thread on which to discuss this question much more generally as I don't think I can actually engage with your position without going way off-topic (i.e. delving into what from my perspective is the question of why God in his trustworthiness would inspire such a misleading and incomplete account of his self-revelation in Jesus and waiting for centuries to correct it... although obviously this isn't how you would regard it EM).

Ruthy - I appreciate that you explained earlier why you don't think John portrays Jesus as the God - but I did put some other exgetical arguments to you on that one which I don't think you have taken in, particularly about Thomas' confession of Jesus as "my (the) God".

At the end of the day, I just can't accept the distinction between you draw between "divine" and "God" since surely this is the very distinction which the Bible works so hard to counteract (even though equally clearly it also contains traces [rather than teachings!] of a prior tradition where YHWH was one god among many). Surely one of the central thrusts of the OT is that God shares his divinity with nobody. To be divine is to be YHWH and he is utterly alone in his transcendence. To be other than YHWH is to be not-divine.

Some other comments/passages:

In the context of Jewish monotheism ONLY YHWH is to be worshipped - all else is idolatry. Worship/obeisance paid to Jesus if he is only divine in some subsidiary sense beneath God is idolatry since how could he, a creature, be worthy of worship? That is breaking the first commandment, and probably some others too.

The famous Philippians 2: Jesus is in the "form/nature" (Grk: morphe) of God. Obviously could be interpreted as being "divine but not quite in the Trinity" but again hard to make sense of in a Jewish context. Who else has the form/nature of God but God?

Equally famous is Colossians 1: the image (ikon) of the invisible God. Again, who could reveal and image God but God? This passage, like John 1, also points to Jesus's role in creation - and the OT knows only ONE creator... guess who [Biased]

John's gospel - John frames his gospel with the two ascriptions of deity to Jesus... but within those two he also has Jesus variously claiming to be the Resurrection and the Life, the Good Shepherd (cf Psalm 23 - the LORD is my shepherd) and lots of other titles and roles belonging to God. To put it in CS Lewis's terms, John's Jesus is either God incarnate or the devil of hell, to arrogate not just some kind of exalted status onto himself but the very titles and qualities of God himself - similarly with Matthew's claims that he will be the Judge at the end of time.

That's quite a lot for now - sorry to overload... Basically my summary is: I really struggle to see how ALL of these passages can be read as Jesus being divine but not God himself, in the context of a Bible which states that there is only one God.

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
At the end of the day, I just can't accept the distinction between you draw between "divine" and "God" since surely this is the very distinction which the Bible works so hard to counteract (even though equally clearly it also contains traces [rather than teachings!] of a prior tradition where YHWH was one god among many). Surely one of the central thrusts of the OT is that God shares his divinity with nobody. To be divine is to be YHWH and he is utterly alone in his transcendence. To be other than YHWH is to be not-divine.

This lies at the heart of it. Very nice.

Even though the Bible says "You are gods" this should not be taken to mean that a person can become a god. We read in John:
quote:
John 10.33 The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.” 34Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? 35“If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36“do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38“but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.” 39Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand. John 10
Jesus is quoting Psalm 82:
quote:
God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods.
2 How long will you judge unjustly,
And show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Defend the poor and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy;
Free them from the hand of the wicked.
5 They do not know, nor do they understand;
They walk about in darkness;
All the foundations of the earth are unstable.
6 I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are children of the Most High.
7 But you shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.”
8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
For You shall inherit all nations.

These two passages are admittedly a little confusing, since they do seem to call us gods. Psalm 82 seems an odd thing for Jesus to quote in defense of His divinity. He seems to be saying, "Of course I'm a god - the Scriptures say that we are all gods." This seems pretty distant from anything else He ever says, although the Psalms sometimes talk about people as "gods" or "sons of God" (Psalm 29.1, 89.6, 136.2).

My own explanation would be that the word "god" here is used to refer to angels, with the meaning being that people can become angels.

I agree with Sean that the uniqueness of YHWH as the one only God of heaven and earth is a universal theme of Scripture, and that Jesus' claim to be one with that God makes Him the same as YHWH. There is no other God.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else interested in exploring further the soteriological implications of Christology, which is I would suggest perhaps a more useful way of looking at Scripture than narrow proof-texting?

For openers, how does the Cross save us if Christ is not God, and what does it save us from?

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

- Posted      Profile for Elder Moroni   Email Elder Moroni   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For openers, how does the Cross save us if Christ is not God, and what does it save us from?
GreyFace - that's a very interesting point. Of course, I can only answer this from the position that Jesus was not God - but the literal Son of God while on Earth in the flesh. And, so, my answer from this perspective:

We read in revelations that there was a war in heaven. It is my understanding that Satan wanted to bring salvation to all by force, and that Jesus Christ wanted to bring all back by love. Jesus accepted His mission from God, whereas Satan fell. Jesus saves us (saved) because He was destined for this mission before He was born. Compare Enoch to Jesus - Enoch was translated (didn't die)... some may ask - would not Enoch be able to be the sacrifice because He was sinless? The answer is no. Enoch BECAME sinless (but had sinned atleast once during his life.) Jesus the Christ, on the other hand, did not sin once during His life. Also - Jesus is the literal first born son of God - and the only begotten of God in the flesh. Nobody else has been born of the power of the Holy Spirit on the Earth - Jesus was set apart; Holy.

Jesus also had power while he was on earth. He had a priesthood. This is why people could not kill Him until the "hour" had come.

Moreover - Jesus was a self-sacrifice. He sacrificed Himself - a thought that should bring a tear to everybody's cheek. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotton son, that all who should believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

And: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down His life for His friends."

Furthermore, it is my belief that Jesus was half man - half God when He was on the Earth. Wherefore, the pain Christ endured on the cross, probably hurt more (hurt being an under-statement) because His Godliness could endure more than any other person being killed on a cross. Ultimately - Christ gave Himself for the sins of the whole world.

I don't think it's a case of whether He was God or not - I just think it depends on if the personage who is the sacrifice can take on the burden of the sins of the whole world.

I stand in awe of His sacrifice.

My interpretation of what He saves us from, is that Jesus saves us on the most part for the sins we cannot put right ourselves. Jesus left commandments; if we follow these commandments to the best of our known ability, Jesus' sacrifice will compensate for the rest.

--------------------
Mo.

Posts: 215 | From: Ashton Stake | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My interpretation of what He saves us from, is that Jesus saves us on the most part for the sins we cannot put right ourselves.

Can you go into this any further? I should have been more explicit in my question. Here are a number of options that orthodox Christianity has considered, for example, to show what I'm getting at:

1. By dying for us, Christ who is God and thus eternal and thus cannot be held by death, has destroyed death's power, and so we are saved from death by God death transforming death.
2. By dying for us, Christ has satisfied the demands of honour that separate humanity from God. We are saved from the separation from God (=sin, or caused by sin) that results in eternal death.
3. By dying for us, Christ has suffered the punishment his nature as the God of justice demands for our sin, and so we are saved from God's wrath by God's love.
4. By dying for us, Christ has demonstrated God's love of us in a manner that calls us to follow him. We are saved from separation from God caused by misapprehension of his nature.
5. By assuming human nature, God has united himself with his creation and we are thus saved from separation from God by him opening the way to participation in the life of the Trinity.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point, and I'm not advocating one in particular here. So, what are we saved from - if you say merely from our sins, could you please define what you mean by that - and how?

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

To suggest that Jesus is sub-divine or proto-divine or half divine (or any other weird extrapolation of his personhood) is to under-estimate the power and corruption of sin. Elder Moroni, you seem to think that sin can merely be equated with wrong deeds, thoughts, and words. What about the fact that we are sinful in and of our very human nature? If you believe that your sin can be removed by anyone [or anything] less that God then you have sadly under-estimated the power than sin has over you and you are insulting the One who saves you.

Martin Luther said this,
quote:
'The bestowal peace and grace lies in the province of God, who alone can create these blessings... In attributing to Christ the divine power of creating and giving grace, peace, everlasting life, righteousness, and forgiveness of sins, the conclusion is inevitable that Christ is truly God... So viciuos is sin that only the sacrifice of Christ could atone for sin... Sin is an exacting despot who can be vanquished by no created power, but by the sovereign power Jesus Christ alone.'
Moroni,
Since Christ was given for our sins it stands to reason that they cannot be put away by our own efforts. To suggest that Christ's death alone is not sufficient for dealing with sin, but that it needs a little bit of help from us by our own efforts, is a blaphemous insult to the crucified God. Yes, a crucified God, do you find that idea offensive? Good! Scripture says that we should!

[ 06. May 2005, 13:04: Message edited by: m.t_tomb ]

Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

- Posted      Profile for Elder Moroni   Email Elder Moroni   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

First let me tell you what I believe about sin, and ask you what you believe about sin. I don't believe in original/ancestral sin. I don't think that Adam's sin has put a stain on each human born... but I do think that Adam brought the capability to sin, and death into the world.

I teach a seminary class here at Manchester. We put a video on the other day which describes our belief about how Christ saves very well.

[The video is set in around Christ's time.] A man loans some money off a wealthy man to set up his own crop growing business. It ends up, the crops don't grow, and the man cannot pay the wealthy man back his money. The man is arrested, and brought to the loan broker for punishment. All of a sudden, another man (representing Jesus) comes in, and offers to pay off the loan, provided that the man who loaned the money works for Him in return. In a similar way, Christ compensates for the sins we commit by paying the price for His sacrifice on the cross (or in the garden of Gethsemane.) Salvation, therefore is solely dependant upon the mercy of Christ.

To be more specific:

1. Christ's Earthly sacrifice, and the sacrifice of His glory on the Earth pays the price for the sins people have commited while in the days of their probation.
2. [Comapare with your 5th idea.] By assuming human nature, God, through Jesus Christ has united himself with his creation and we are thus saved from separation from God by him opening the way to participation in the life of the Godhead.

M.T Tomb - as aforementioned, I do not accept that we are a "sinful" people - I do believe that we all have the capability of being perfect - Enoch demonstrated this well. We are told Mat 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Christ's suffering DID pay the price for our sins, the sins that we cannot put right, or the sins that we have repented for - and the sins of our ancestors and so forth. However, why did Christ leave commandments on the Earth? Did He leave them simply as a nice way of life, or did He leave them because following these commandments are essential for entrance into Heaven?

--------------------
Mo.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
However, why did Christ leave commandments on the Earth? Did He leave them simply as a nice way of life, or did He leave them because following these commandments are essential for entrance into Heaven?
He left them to provide a way for us to show our love for him. In showing our love for him others will: see his glory, benefit from his Kingdom, be blessed, be led to a saving knowledge of God in Christ. Our obedience is a sacrifice of praise, not an attempt to earn our entrance into heaven. Obedience is a gratituitous act of love and respect, not a self-serving attempt to get something from God.
Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

Hi,

I respectfully disagree, because of scriptures like:

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

If we do not do the will of the Father in heaven, we cannot gain admission into the same. In a similar way:

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

It has nothing to do with the love we show for Christ (alone) - although of course we must show love for Christ (if ye love me, keep my commandments.) Christ left commandments, specifically that we might go to heaven.

--------------------
Mo.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Ephesians 2:8-10 Case closed.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It has nothing to do with the love we show for Christ (alone) - although of course we must show love for Christ (if ye love me, keep my commandments.) Christ left commandments, specifically that we might go to heaven.

You are right on with this. One of the big problems with the Trinity is that it leads to the idea that Christ's sacrifice frees us from the obligation to keep the commandments.

Christ as God overcame the power of evil. This is something only God can do. So He freed us from its power so that we too can keep the commandments and live a life of love to the neighbor. We do this not by our own power but by His.

I do think that this is one of the appeals of LDS doctrine, since traditional Christian doctrine is so nonsensical on this point.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
Anyone else interested in exploring further the soteriological implications of Christology, which is I would suggest perhaps a more useful way of looking at Scripture than narrow proof-texting?

"Narrow" proof-texting is the point of this thread. The question is whether Scripture supports the Trinity. The answer is therefore expected to include Scripture.

The soteriological implications of Christology are meaningless if the Scriptures do not support the Christology.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
One of the big problems with the Trinity is that it leads to the idea that Christ's sacrifice frees us from the obligation to keep the commandments.

Say WHAT? There are oodles of Trinitarians who believe that we are still beholden to live lives in accordance with God's commands. So I don't think you can lay this particular bogeyman at the foot of the Trinity. Whatever you yourself believe about the Trinity, you should try to be accurate and fair when ascribing beliefs and actions to Trinitarians.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
12uthy
Shipmate
# 9400

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
quote:
Originally posted by 12uthy:
This is the reasoning for the NWT rendering it as "a god" (lower case) in John 1:1.

This then led to the problem with:
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before, me.

Which of course I hold to mean that worship of Jesus would be idolatry (depending upon your definition of worship)

I completely agree with you. If we give Jesus worship and he is not the Almighty God, then we are in serious trouble.

This becomes interesting if you look at how the word "worship" (pr?skun?? ?????????) is used in the New Testament. It is used to apply to God as much as it is used to apply to Jesus.

This chart is very interesting because it shows how the NWT translates the same word differently depending on who it applies to. About 35 times it applies to God, the Devil, demons, idols, "the beast" and "his image". All those times, the NWT translates the word as "worship". But the 15 times that it applies to Jesus, the word magically becomes "obeisance".

This is indeed very interesting, and I must say quite a revelation to me, but I still maintain that this does not point to a trinity.

quote:
Yes, that does cause a huge problem - could you worship the flag, as long as you gave it less worship than you would give to Jehovah?

That is a very good question, which I admit atm I cannot justify. (but watch this space [Biased] )

quote:
quote:
There is no doubt that Jesus is divine and he is a god (theos)
Again the JW argument runs into huge problems. The first commandment sctricly prohibits us having other Gods than the true one. If Jehovah is the "only true god" then where does that leave Jesus?
Precisely where Jehovah put him, at his right hand, but still subordinate to the only true God, Jehovah.

If he is not subordinate tell me what
1Cor 15:24-28 means?

quote:
Ahh - you are getting so close here, Ruthy! The Holy Spirit is indeed the very essense of God - he is truly divine. There is nothing about him that is not God.

Yes I agree that the HS is God, what I have isssue with is the Trinitarian extrapolation that "he" is another person, in his own right, also.

quote:
can I leave you with this page?

By all means, but I don't think that it clarifies much. I haven't had time to look up each of the references in the tables yet but I do have a few comments about the introductory paragraph:

It states that the Holy Spirit must be a person rather than a force because:
1)a force "could not speak" (Acts 13:2)

This is a gross simplification of the word epo in this verse.
Do our consciences not "speak" to us?
Do not actions "speak" louder than words?
Does not a witness have to "speak" yet Job 16:8 speaks of wrath (or in some translations wrinkles [Razz] ) being a witness.
And if he were a person who could speak why would he use other people to speak for him:
Mat 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

and 2) A force could not be grieved.
Can we not be grieved in our spirit?
Isa 54:6 For the LORD hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.

quote:
May the Holy Spirit intercede for you!

Pax,
ar

Thank you likewise [Big Grin]

[fixed code]

[ 06. May 2005, 18:27: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------
Love 12uthy

Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

quote:
Originally posted by m.t_tomb:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Faith does save us, first and foremost. But Jesus left commandments: "unless....ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Is this a contradiction? No. Because equally we know that faith without works are dead. (James 2:20). Faith and works are inseperable.

--------------------
Mo.

12uthy
Shipmate
# 9400

Now to m.t_tomb:

You said "And I maintain that nothing, not even 'asking', can make a person 'worthy' of God's gift of himself by his Spirit. Children do not need to be worthy of gifts; they are given out of love - pure and simple."

Agreed, but if we truly love God then we should ask and he assures us that if we ask with a pure heart, he will graciously grant it to us:
Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly, Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

(See also 1 John 3:21 and James 4:3)

You said "If you can accept that the Holy Spirit is one with the Father and that Jesus is also one with the Father (John 14:9-10) without either 'separating' them or confounding* them, you are getting close to the truth that is the Trinity After, Christians believe that YHWH is tri-une not tri-partite. Grasp the unity of the three and you're there!"

Yes but the problem is that the way in which Jesus is "one with the Father" ie metaphorically (If we are to take John 14:10 literally then we must take John 14:20 to be also, which plainly we cannot do)differs in the way that the Holy Spirit is God ie literally, therefore they are neither tri-une nor tri-partite.

--------------------
Love 12uthy

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
"Narrow" proof-texting is the point of this thread. The question is whether Scripture supports the Trinity. The answer is therefore expected to include Scripture.

Narrow proof-texting is not the point of the thread. There are ways of using Scripture as a whole, rather than looking at one, two or three passages and attempting to construct proofs based on those alone.

quote:
The soteriological implications of Christology are meaningless if the Scriptures do not support the Christology.
Agreed. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that, taking Scripture as a whole, more than one understanding of soteriology may be derived. This is not, in essence, narrow proof-texting although I think you could say it's broad proof-texting. I'm talking themes, concepts, and so on derived from Scripture rather than individual verses.

This is why we disagree on interpretations of John 1.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Hi Ruthy,

quote:
Originally posted by 12uthy:
Yes I agree that the HS is God...

That's great news!

quote:
...what I have issue with is the Trinitarian extrapolation that "he" is another person, in his own right, also.

How about John 14:15-17?

And I [God the Son] will ask [God] the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the [God the Holy] Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you

Remember:
We're His temple!
He is 'another' like Jesus
He's a [wonderful] counsellor i.e. He has a ministry

So He is God; He is ontologically continuous with Jesus; and He has a ministry. Does that sound like an impersonal force to you? [Yipee]

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
[The video is set in around Christ's time.] A man loans some money off a wealthy man to set up his own crop growing business. It ends up, the crops don't grow, and the man cannot pay the wealthy man back his money. The man is arrested, and brought to the loan broker for punishment. All of a sudden, another man (representing Jesus) comes in, and offers to pay off the loan, provided that the man who loaned the money works for Him in return. In a similar way, Christ compensates for the sins we commit by paying the price for His sacrifice on the cross (or in the garden of Gethsemane.) Salvation, therefore is solely dependant upon the mercy of Christ.

Okay, so it's essentially Anselm with a smattering of penal substitution.

Do you consider it just that the wealthy man wants to punish the lender when the lender didn't actually cause the crops to fail to grow, or indeed ask for the loan in the first place however much he may have needed it?

Would you say that in Mormon eyes, the problem of sin that needs to be solved is that God wants to punish us for something we didn't do?

quote:
1. Christ's Earthly sacrifice, and the sacrifice of His glory on the Earth pays the price for the sins people have commited while in the days of their probation.
I think you need to expand on this a little. You see Anselm if I remember correctly reasoned that as the debt incurred by our rebellion is an overwhelming one, perfect submission of any human alone even to death, would not be sufficient to pay the debt of honour owed by the rest of us - it would be actually "just" matching the baseline of required righteousness - and so for the merits of the Cross to save us, Christ must be God. I may have that garbled and I'm too lazy to read him again. No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken.

quote:
M.T Tomb - as aforementioned, I do not accept that we are a "sinful" people - I do believe that we all have the capability of being perfect - Enoch demonstrated this well. We are told Mat 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
This seems incompatible with your view that Christ was nothing more than a man who became exalted through his perfect obedience. Because otherwise Enoch was our Saviour, and we all agree he wasn't and isn't.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I'm saying that, taking Scripture as a whole, more than one understanding of soteriology may be derived. This is not, in essence, narrow proof-texting although I think you could say it's broad proof-texting. I'm talking themes, concepts, and so on derived from Scripture rather than individual verses.

This is why we disagree on interpretations of John 1.

Good point. I agree completely. I was sure that this is what you meant. You are right that narrow proof-texting results in problems such as that with John 1, and so broad proof-texting is a much better mode.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
One of the big problems with the Trinity is that it leads to the idea that Christ's sacrifice frees us from the obligation to keep the commandments.

Say WHAT? There are oodles of Trinitarians who believe that we are still beholden to live lives in accordance with God's commands. So I don't think you can lay this particular bogeyman at the foot of the Trinity. Whatever you yourself believe about the Trinity, you should try to be accurate and fair when ascribing beliefs and actions to Trinitarians.
I agree that no Christian would deny that they are beholden to live lives in accordance with God's commands.

Still, I do lay that bogeyman at the foot of the Trinity because I believe that the substitutionary atonement is implicit in the dividing of God into three persons.

I realize that most Christians do not take it that far, or accept the idea that "we are saved while we are still sinners." Nevertheless, this is the direction that a trinity of persons leads. The Athanasian Trinity of "soul, body and operation", however, is completely different.

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Narrow proof-texting is not the point of the thread. There are ways of using Scripture as a whole, rather than looking at one, two or three passages and attempting to construct proofs based on those alone.

Just to say that I strongly agree with you GreyFace - and thank you for laying out those arguments much better than I could have. I must admit I steered clear of those kinds of arguments since I wasn't sure whether they'd fit within the context of the thread but actually you're dead right that it's not as if they are separate, non-Scriptural arguments but rather are seeking to explain and interpret the whole witness of Scripture (as well as a number of particularly important texts).

For me the most convincing argument is that Jesus cannot reveal God (which I am sure we would all agree Scripture teaches he does) unless he is God, because who could possibly show us God but God? If he is not God, it is not God he reveals to us but himself, and we're still in the dark.

[ 06. May 2005, 14:56: Message edited by: Sean D ]

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

quote:
Still, I do lay that bogeyman at the foot of the Trinity because I believe that the substitutionary atonement is implicit in the dividing of God into three persons.

I think, before Elder Moroni said he'd made his last post, that I was about to demonstrate that the LDS believed in (P)SA without the Trinity and without believing that Jesus is God. Which makes things a fair bit worse, in my humble opinion.
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

Agreed, Sean.

Just to add, Freddy, that I'd agree Tritheism has similar problems to polytheist/henotheist/Arian substitutionary atonement. Luckily, Trinitarianism has one God [Biased]

Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

Sorry - you've misunderstood me - it's my last post on the "lies, lies, lies" thread not the general forum. I'm just not participating in threads that can affect my position within the church. I'm not easily offended by what people think about the church - I just can't break the covenants I made in the temple! C'est tout!

Please go ahead with your point grey face.

--------------------
Mo.

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

That's good, EM. I was hoping you would stick around. These discussions are valuable.

As to my point - there are questions in my last post responding to yours.

Bonaventura*
Shipmate
# 5561

- Posted      Profile for Bonaventura*   Email Bonaventura*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I agree that no Christian would deny that they are beholden to live lives in accordance with God's commands.

I realize that most Christians do not take it that far, or accept the idea that "we are saved while we are still sinners." Nevertheless, this is the direction that a trinity of persons leads. The Athanasian Trinity of "soul, body and operation", however, is completely different.

[Eek!]

Sorry Freddy, but I think you are completely mistaken.

First, the psychological analogy of the trinity is not from Athanasius himself nor from Eastern theology, but from the athanasian creed, which is latin and augustinian. It was the (augustinian) West which eventually formulated PSA. (Though St. Augustine did not formulate this himself).

The Cappadocians, who do not cling to PSA, have a somewhat different conception of the trinity in contrast to the psychological analogy that St. Augustine offered, yet they were not prone to PSA.

What do one of them say?

Gregory asks: to Whom was Christ sacrificed?

But if to the Father, I ask first, how? For it was not by Him that we were being oppressed; and next, On what principle did the Blood of His Only begotten Son delight the Father, Who would not receive even Isaac, when he was being offered by his Father, but changed the sacrifice, putting a ram in the place of the human victim? Is it not evident that the Father accepts Him, but neither asked for Him nor demanded Him; but on account of the Incarnation, and because Humanity must be sanctified by the Humanity of God, that He might deliver us Himself, and overcome the tyrant, and draw us to Himself by the mediation of His Son, Who also arranged this to the honour of the Father, Whom it is manifest that He obeys in all things? So much we have said of Christ; the greater part of what we might say shall be reverenced with silence St. Gregory the Theologian, The second oration on pascha

This bogeyman should not be put at the feet of the trinity, perhaps pseudo-arianism?

[ 06. May 2005, 15:19: Message edited by: Bonaventura ]

--------------------
So lovers of wine drink up! The Beloved has lifted his red glass. And paradise cannot be, now, far away. -Hafëz

Posts: 252 | From: Et in Arcadia requiesco | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

Hi Greyface,

I am a little confused as to what you are asking me. Are you asking does the LDS church adhere to a polytheistic, tritheistic or hedonistic doctrine on the Godhead? The best category I could fit it into is Hedonistic - but there are even underlying theological problems we have with that.

--------------------
Mo.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Moroni, I'm quite sure you mean henotheistic not hedonistic! [Smile] But then again, you might mean hedonistic... how many wives do you have? [Biased]
Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

Haha yeah - that's the French mix up coming in - I knew it would do sooner or later. Henotheistic - que je veux-dire! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mo.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by m.t_tomb:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Faith does save us, first and foremost. But Jesus left commandments: "unless....ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Is this a contradiction? No. Because equally we know that faith without works are dead. (James 2:20). Faith and works are inseperable.

Yes, salvation through faith; service through works. Our service does not earn us salavtion; salvation fits us for service.

quote:
So likewise ye, when ye have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:10
Do you hope to profit from you obedience? Do hope for a reward for you duty? You're nothing more than an unprofitable servant! Don't make demands of God; it's rude.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Bonaventura:
Sorry Freddy, but I think you are completely mistaken.

First, the psychological analogy of the trinity is not from Athanasius himself nor from Eastern theology, but from the athanasian creed, which is latin and augustinian. It was the (augustinian) West which eventually formulated PSA. (Though St. Augustine did not formulate this himself).

The Cappadocians, who do not cling to PSA, have a somewhat different conception of the trinity in contrast to the psychological analogy that St. Augustine offered, yet they were not prone to PSA.

Very interesting. It is curious that PSA comes out of the West. I agree that the Eastern Trinity is less prone to PSA thinking, but I'm not sure how this came about.

In my book the Trinity becomes problematic insofar as it approaches PSA theology and tritheism.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonaventura:
I was about to demonstrate that the LDS believed in (P)SA without the Trinity and without believing that Jesus is God. Which makes things a fair bit worse, in my humble opinion.

Right you are. The worst of both worlds.

What I like about LDS is the belief that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. At least, I think they believe that. [Biased]

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

My spelling! Arrrgh!
Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

No not at all... we believe that ALL are saved. But... this sounds so lame but it's our belief... all good endowed members of our church, and a few of whom Christ has mercy on will be exalted in the Celestial Kingdom. All will be saved (apart from those few who blaspheme against the Holy Ghost.)

--------------------
Mo.

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
No not at all... we believe that ALL are saved. But... this sounds so lame but it's our belief... all good endowed members of our church, and a few of whom Christ has mercy on will be exalted in the Celestial Kingdom. All will be saved (apart from those few who blaspheme against the Holy Ghost.)

OK. Well, that should make the universalists happy. [Biased]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't mean to be rude, but as a tea-drinking, gum-chewing, wine-bibbling, messed up Christian, knowing that I'm going to be in the second class lounge in heaven is not very inspiring.

If that is really what heaven is like then you can keep it. No, no, I insist. You live with my mother-in-law for all eternity - I don't mind in the least.

[Actually I quite like my mother-in-law, but living with her for all eternity would be hell in itself]

C

--------------------
arse

Elder Moroni
Shipmate
# 9432

Well although this sounds arrogant, when you die, you will have the chance again to accept the true gospel, and can be with your whole family if you accept it in the Celestial kingdom - that, of course, is provided that somebody baptizes you vicariously in the Temple, which - if you have LDS family - will almost certainly happen!

But, the Lord said Himself: "In my Father's house there are many mansions." I do think that God will favour some over others at the judgement. Somewhere in the world, whatever you believe, there has to be one church which contains the "fulness" of the Gospel. Or, better put - contains the most of the fulness of the gospel than any other church!

--------------------
Mo.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well although this sounds arrogant, when you die, you will have the chance again to accept the true gospel, and can be with your whole family if you accept it in the Celestial kingdom - that, of course, is provided that somebody baptizes you vicariously in the Temple, which - if you have LDS family - will almost certainly happen!

I don't and even if I did, I would specifically request them not to do this.

This is a long way from a discussion about the trinity.

C

--------------------
arse

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is indeed a long way away from discussion of the Trinity. If anyone wants to pursue this tangent, please start a new thread.

RuthW
Purgatory host

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do we have to reinvent the wheel?

There are questions that are being asked again and again. People take different stances and they are happy with them. But the fact is that many of the matters debated have been closed. Why don't we first read what the church has said on the matter from antiquity and then ask questions? Why should we not be bothered with the answers our fathers gave? The orthodox faith is a result of praying, fasting, doing what Christ commanded, giving one's entire life to Him, thinking really hard, using logic to interpret the scriptures and all other evidence available. The orthodox faith is a fruit of these things by the grace of the Holy Spirit. Are we better than the men that explained our faith? They were no ordinary men. People like Basil (who has been called the Great), Athanasios (again, called the Great), Augustine (who has been called divine), Gregory (who has been called the Theologian), Ambrose, Maximos (who has been called the Confessor) et cetera. They confronted heresy and explained why the faith of the church is the true one. The showed the errors in their opponents thinking, not by using power, but by using logic.

Are we greater than them to dismiss their help without first listening to what they said?

I think a more honest approach would be to read their works first and then, if we disagree with an ARGUMENT they use, we should be free to debate it. Starting a debate by declaring that we disagree with the CONCLUSIONS they reached, without making any mention to a particular argument of theirs, is not an honest approach.

The orthodox view can be summarised in this: There is the Father, the cause of the Son's existence and the cause of the Spirit's existence. He is the cause and has been the cause before time was created. What the Father is, the Son is, and the Holy Spirit is. The words "father", "son", "spirit" denote a difference in the way the Father causes the Son and the Spirit to exist. The first we call generation, the second we call spiration. We confess there is a difference, but we can tell nothing about what this difference means. The three divine persons are not corporeal. This means that we cannot say that there is a space where one of them is and another is not. Because they are immaterial and incorporeal, we say that the exist in each other.

Some people deny that he truly took the form of a servant, by calling him servant even before the Incarnation. To take the form of a servant, means, one that was not servant before, to be like a servant. But angels are truly servants of God. Only God is not a servant. Some people deny that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and god was the Word. Some people make Him a liar, because He said "All things that the Father hath are mine", and he did not exclude the divine essence. Other people make Him a liar too, for he said that "I am not alone"; yet they claim that there is only one divine person which is made known by us under three masks.

But we do not learn from those that were before us, we do not revere what we have received; we exalt ourselves by thinking that we have it right and those before us have got it wrong.

Listen to what scriptures say: "On you I was cast from my birth, and since my mother bore me you have been my God." Stop saying that Jesus had a god before He was made man.

P.S. Stop making Him a liar for saying "See, I am coming soon; my reward is with me, to repay according to everyone's work" and "all were judged according to what they had done" and "the dead were judged according to their works, as recorded in the books" and "blessed are those who do his commandments, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates" and "'Blessed are the dead who from now on die in the Lord.' 'Yes,' says the Spirit, 'they will rest from their labours, for their deeds follow them.'" Faith in Christ is the beginning for entering the kingdom of heavens right now, but it is not the standard by which people will be judged at Judgement Day. Everybody will be judged according to our works, but in order for one to be a Christian now, one needs to have faith in Christ.
m.t_tomb Christ's commandments are not a way to show our love for Him, although our love for Him is showed when we follow His commandments. His commandments, according to the orthodox tradition and experience, are the way for us to live in the kingdom of heavens right now and here. We enter the kingdom by following Christ's commandments, not by mere intellectual agreement that He is Lord. Salvation does not come because we love and respect Christ, but because we have trust (aka faith) in triune god. If one puts all one's trust in God and makes one's life a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God, then God will give him / her salvation and He will be his / her god and they will be His holy people.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
m.t_tomb Christ's commandments are not a way to show our love for Him, although our love for Him is showed when we follow His commandments. His commandments, according to the orthodox tradition and experience, are the way for us to live in the kingdom of heavens right now and here. We enter the kingdom by following Christ's commandments, not by mere intellectual agreement that He is Lord.

Yes, I agree with you that Christ's commandments are the means by which we manifest the Kingdom; I said that in my previous post. But we don't enter the realm of Christ's Kingdom by obedience to those commands: entrance to the Kingdom, as Christ's parables clearly point out, is by God's invitation only. We obey after we've entered, not to gain our entrance.

quote:
Salvation does not come because we love and respect Christ, but because we have trust (aka faith) in triune god. If one puts all one's trust in God and makes one's life a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God, then God will give him / her salvation and He will be his / her god and they will be His holy people.

Good. I agree with you. But don't run away with the idea that anything you do can adorn the free gift of salvation. Yes, we do good works because God has prepared them for us to do. But we don't have the ability to make God any more favourably disposed toward us by what we do for him. He is favourably disposed toward me because he chooses to be, not because I've made him happy.

Anyway, enough of these tangential perambulations! I've been warned once already!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016