homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Poking fun at the (linguistically) handicapped (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Poking fun at the (linguistically) handicapped
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got an email today from a customer who couldn't use some data files I had sent her -- and the reason she gave was that their computer system was K sensitive -- I needed to make the file names all lower-case. Clearly she had heard this term but had never seen it in print (or made the connection).

This to me goes far beyond knowing where to put the apostrophe in its.

Anybody else have any run-ins with the linguistically handicapped that we can laugh at?

[ 01. July 2005, 23:59: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The typos in hospital orders always crack me up.

Today we had an order come across for a 'lumber puncture'... I'm guessing vampire?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ginny pig for guinea pig.

And my favorite, mute point for moot point.

Aw well, at least the person had *heard* the terms and used them in the proper context. Got to start somewhere.

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard someone refer to the famous painting in the Art Institute of Chicago as La Grande Jeté . Gave me a mental image of happy-go-lucky Parisians in their Sunday best, gaily executing leap after leap.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of my Mum was describing the hem of her daughter's wedding dress. She was stuck for the word, and started making scalloped shapes. ""h, yes, it had scaffolding all around the bottom."

My Mum now pays special attention to wedding dresses to check if they have any scaffolding.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I got an email today from a customer who couldn't use some data files I had sent her -- and the reason she gave was that their computer system was K sensitive

This sounds just the opposite of a Monty Python sketch. What a silly bunt!
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few, the first of which annoys me.

“Asterix” for *.

The anatomical arrangement of bones as a “Skellington”.

“ofay” for au fait (that is a Mrs Sioni original).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I receive anything in text language, I respond by asking them to write in English, and ignore the message until they do. I don't know why it winds me up, but it does.

[edit: I can't spell.]

[ 16. December 2004, 08:49: Message edited by: PhilA ]

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Favourites from debating the creationists (for some reason a lot of them are great sources of these):

"Bias" for "Biased"
"-ist" for "-ists"
"'nt" for "n't"

When working in insurance, after a particularly nasty crash a solicitor wrote that his client had "key tones in his urine", which gave me a giggle.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

“Asterix” for *.

This one pisses me off no end.
Good comics, though!

[ 16. December 2004, 09:03: Message edited by: aj ]

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allelulia

Makes me laugh every time (particularly when people dont realise they're doing it!!).

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Allelulia

Makes me laugh every time (particularly when people dont realise they're doing it!!).

Or the Winchester version "Ellelulyah".

My clear favourite was a priest of the Portsmouth Diocese trying to sum up his arguments with, "...what I'm trying to say, in a nutcase,..." I nearly choked.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PhilA:
If I receive anything in text language, I respond by asking them to write in English, and ignore the message until they do. I don't know why it winds me up, but it does.

I do this to my students; nasty, aren't I?

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friends of my aunt (bless 'er) was seriously ill in hospital, and had been moved to the Intensive Care ward (as they were known a few years ago). The information was relayed to us by my aunt as, "She's in tents of care."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Just a few, the first of which annoys me.

“Asterix” for *.

I had a few friends who just would not be convinced that it was actually asterisk. Despite my running both through the spellcheck, etc...

They said "Why else were the Asterix books so named?"

I gave up. It was a losing battle.

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard someone say of some uneconomic office space - 'The place was a complete pink elephant!'

Belfast used to have a local dignitary who was famous for the likes of:

[on redecorating the city chambers] 'Sure all it needs is a coat of Durex'

'There have been allegations made! I tell yous I know that allegations have been made - and whats more, I know the alligator!'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are lots of people who write "free reign" or "reign in" for "free rein" or "rein in" - they're horse-riding metaphors, not kinging (or queening) ones.
Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to work with a woman who would say, "We have enough to tidy us over."

On the face of it, that actually makes more sense.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had an email to tell me a sink is 'licking'. Not to worry, though - 'the staff have put a plastic recipient under it'.
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A relative of mine, who had heard that a friend of hers had a coronary thrombosis, told me that he had a 'trombone heart.'

I did not laugh in front of her (though she'd previously told me that someone with a hysterectormy had a 'hysteria operation.') But I'm afraid I did laugh aloud when she saw a man playing a string bass on television, and said he had 'the big guitar.'

My dad's brother was afraid of heights. Dad used to say that he had 'hydrophobia.'

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My very favorite was a flyer I saw at my auto mechanic's - someone advertising their services as a "Notory Republic." [Killing me] If you don't even know what you do, don't advertise!

My grandmother was known for linguistic slips... For example, she once met a relative of a prominent Utah politician and said they were a "Moron" just like their uncle. She also told the story of when my family had a "torpedo" go over our house. My grandpa laughed at her, so she said, "I mean, a Toronado!"

I seem to have inherited that somewhat, though. I was bringing a friend with me to visit my parents, and I pointed out (what looked like a recent grave) my mom's "spagetti garden." Of course, it's a "lasagna" garden (so named for the layering technique involved). [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
melliethepooh
Shipmate
# 8762

- Posted      Profile for melliethepooh   Email melliethepooh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:

They said "Why else were the Asterix books so named?"

Amorya

Isn't 'Asterix' a french phenomenon?...that could be an explanation...

--------------------
"You can't go out right now."
"And yet I'm going. You're thinking of a cult. You can't get up and leave a cult."

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I got an email today from a customer who couldn't use some data files I had sent her -- and the reason she gave was that their computer system was K sensitive -- I needed to make the file names all lower-case. Clearly she had heard this term but had never seen it in print (or made the connection).

This to me goes far beyond knowing where to put the apostrophe in its.

Anybody else have any run-ins with the linguistically handicapped that we can laugh at?

I'll keep my eye out. My helpdesk feeds me a daily supply. It's "The Chronicles of George" all over again.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife worked with someone who would often observe that we live in a doggy-dog world.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Someone* I know [Hot and Hormonal] thought, for far too many years, that the phrase was "If the cat fits....". The actually phrase does make a little more sense... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days back, laying in supplies for the holiday season, I stopped in one of our state liquor stores. An attempted consultation with the nice young man on duty quickly escalated into "pronounced" warfare, thus:

Me: I'm looking for a nice claret(KLAH -rett)."

Him: Oh, right this way. Here's where we stock the claret (klah-RAY)."

Me: Ah. Er. Is there anything particular claret (KLAH -rett)you could recommend for (describe needs)?

Him: Well, this claret (klah-RAY) is especially nice with . . . but this other claret (klah-RAY) is also recommended for . . .

Me: Well, that claret (KLAH -rett) is a bit pricey. Do you have a CLARET (KLAH -rett) with the fruity tones you mentioned that's a little less expensive?

And so on. Neither of us gave an inch, but got increasingly insistent as we went on. By the end of the transaction we were pronouncing daggers at each other.

Only later did I find it funny.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother, bless her, is somewhat linguistically challenged. One of her better ones was when she looked up at the ceiling in the lounge and declared that "Your dad needs to aztec that again"

bizarre huh?

on a personal level, it's spoonerisms that trip me up, i once, in a sermon, talked of those who "don't peel a fart of God's family"

[Hot and Hormonal]

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a quarter of a century since I noticed someone using 'pacific' for 'specific'. I always notice that one, for some reason, and I think it's getting more common.

Even very well-educated people use it, and at times it leads to interesting unintentional meanings!

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pob
Shipmate
# 8009

- Posted      Profile for Pob   Email Pob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister once announced proudly to her friends that I was mainlining at a prominent music venue...

--------------------
As the expensive swimming trunks, so my soul longs after you.

Posts: 738 | From: Gloucestershire, and jolly nice it is too | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pob:
My sister once announced proudly to her friends that I was mainlining at a prominent music venue...

Well, as long as you're not doing it prominently, I guess...

Vikki, I have a similar one to yours. (Actually, "similar" is one too - people in my family even say "simular" - and we don't even need to mention "nucular"...)
I've been noticing more and more educated people, including people on TV (who may or may not be so educated) saying "quote... unquote." Am I wrong, or isn't it supposed to be "endquote"? Not that it bugs me a whole lot, but it surprises me. Might be one of those things where usage is changing what's considered to be correct.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zipporah

Silent witness
# 3896

- Posted      Profile for Zipporah   Email Zipporah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember some years ago, my old landlady used to tell me quite seriously, that "Take The High Road" (a Scottish soap opera, now long gone) was filmed in lust! 'Twas all I could do to keep from laughing out loud (it was actually filmed in the village of Luss ... )

--------------------
Back after a lengthy absence - it's been too long ...

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. sail out to sea and do new things. Grace Hopper

Posts: 1792 | From: a world of my own | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And does anyone still have a muriel on their wall?

I was once told in shocked tones by a new neighbour that the people she had previously lived next door to were, horror of horrors, naturalists. I knew immediately what she meant. Nobody wants a neighbour who goes round collecting wild animals. People have quite enough trouble keeping other people's cats out of their gardens, never mind coping with herds of straying wildebeest and kangaroos constantly demolishing fences and sheds.

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, an elderly lady told me her daughter was "pett-tight". I thought she said "Hittite" at first, and my look of puzzlement made the woman explain impatiently "Pett-tight, you know.... small, slender...." [Big Grin]
"Oh, that pett-tight" I replied. "Of course."

And, even living by the Pacific Ocean doesn't help some people here remember "specific" shouldn't be confused with "Pacific".

[ 16. December 2004, 19:58: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend once described a dodgy neighborhood as "a place where they throw Mazel Tov cocktails."

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Asterix, of comic fame, is a humorously false Gaulish kingly name, a take-off of, for example, Vercingetorix (a real Arverni chieftain who lead the Gauls to victory against the Romans back around 52 BCE), as the Wikipedia entry clarifies:

quote:
A key feature of the text of the Asterix books are the constant puns used as names of characters; The names of the two protagonists come from asterisk and obelisk, Asterix being the star of the books (Latin aster [star] and Celtic rix [king]), and Obelix being a menhir delivery-man. Nearly all the Gaulish characters' names end in -ix, probably a reference to the real-life Gaulish chieftain such as Vercingetorix. (All male Gaulish characters, including Obelix's small dog, have names ending in -ix. Now, in reality, only the names of Gaulish kings—and not even all of the kings—ended in -ix. In fact, those that did always ended in -rix, which meant "king" and is incidentally a cognate to Latin rex, German Reich, English rich, Sanskrit raajaH, etc. English language examples include the chief (Vitalstatistix), the druid (Getafix), the fishmonger (Unhygienix), an old man (Geriatrix) with a young wife. Incidental characters often feature names like Hiphiphurrax and Mykingdomforanos. These puns reflect the French original, in which, for example, the chief is called Abraracourcix, derived from the phrase "à bras raccourcis" meaning with arms raised and ready, ready to punch. The Egyptian in Astérix Légionnaire is named Courdeténis in French and Ptenisnet in English.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In response to my not liking liver: 'It's a required taste'

In response to my being selfish: 'You think the world evolves around you.'

I love my mum [Smile]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A prominent attorney with whom I have worked was once telling me about a witness he had who was "prevaricating" on how he would answer a certain question if asked on the stand. I knew he meant "vacillating"; he was far too august to correct in a meeting, but I hope it was a temporary slip of the tongue and not something he went on to use in court! [Help]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And my own favourite.... Although you need to remember that in Oz "ass" usually means "donkey", whilst "arse" usually means one's backside. This can be a bit surprising to American visitors, who may use "ass" to refer to one's posterior.

The American in my smalltown congregation loved her new country of residence, and believed she was learning the culture and fitting in nicely. She had stopped telling folk which sports team she was rooting for (here that would mean to "have wild sex with the whole lot of them!"). Then we rostered her to do the gospel reading for Palm Sunday. She asked which version she should use- and I said any was fine... The one she used had some Americanisms in it, and I realised she was making a few running changes on the spot to Australianise the phrases.
And then she got to some verse which referred to how Jesus rode into Jerusalem.... She looked a bit panicky, but then beamed proudly. She had remembered all those confusing cross-ocean word-meaning-changes.
"Jesus rode into Jerusalem on his small arse." (Or however the words went- but it was definately "arse")

We restrained our giggles, but the whole congregation appeared to share my vision!

[ 16. December 2004, 20:09: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was working in IT, the help desk manager was a competent but highly nervous sort, who would be in a rush to get messages out whenever there was a problem. When he saw a word flagged by the 'spell checker' as incorrect, he tended to hit 'replace' without seeing if the highlighted correction was the one he wished.

My favourite example: "The server is down. We are working to bring it back up. Sorry for the incontinence."

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the party season is nearly upon us I have noticed this year that more and more people seem to think that 'invite' is a noun. Aaarrgh.
Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kath & Kim

(will be appearing on BBC TV soon, I believe)

Kim: "I want to be effluent"
Kath: "You are effluent, Kim"

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
It's "The Chronicles of George" all over again.

I am havening read CoG and laugh.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ringtailed Lemur
Shipmate
# 8288

- Posted      Profile for Ringtailed Lemur   Email Ringtailed Lemur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vikki Pollard:
It's a quarter of a century since I noticed someone using 'pacific' for 'specific'. I always notice that one, for some reason, and I think it's getting more common.

Even very well-educated people use it, and at times it leads to interesting unintentional meanings!

Oh don't get me started on this one. Couple of weeks ago we had a meeting for the team I'm going to Siberia with next year, and the leader, not only used the word "specific" at least once in every sentence, pronounced it every time as "pacific", despite two or three of us pointedly pronouncing it correctly in comments we made to her. And I saw at least four of the group wincing every time she pronounced it wrong.
Posts: 111 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
As the party season is nearly upon us I have noticed this year that more and more people seem to think that 'invite' is a noun. Aaarrgh.

It is... it's in the OED [Smile]

n. invite
colloq.

[f. INVITE v.: cf. command, request, etc.] 

1. The act of inviting; an invitation.

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

There's a nice scene in House of Cards in which Francis Urquhart looks wryly into the camera after hearing a colleague say the following line in a speech: We have grasped the nettle, and we've taken it on board!"

On the other hand, certain phrases can only stand up to so much abuse before they appear used incorrectly in major newspapers. The Washington Post printed a story the other day in which "begs the question" was used to mean "raises the question", which is not at all what "begs the question" means.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

quote:
Originally posted by Ringtailed Lemur:
quote:
Originally posted by Vikki Pollard:

...at least once in every sentence, pronounced it every time as "pacific", despite two or three of us pointedly pronouncing it correctly in comments we made to her. And I saw at least four of the group wincing every time she pronounced it wrong.

I hear this all the time. It drives me as nuts as "irregardless" does.

[Fixed bad Admin's code. You parse it out. [Snigger] ]

[ 17. December 2004, 00:15: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once worked with a woman who thought the expression was "at the drop of a hand" and told me the heartbreaking story of a neighbor's dog that ran into traffic, was struck by a car, and died instamaticly.
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Prophetess:
A friend once described a dodgy neighborhood as "a place where they throw Mazel Tov cocktails."

Ooh... I want to live in that neighbourhood!

My pet hate is when people say 'nucular'. Come on - if you can say 'new' and 'clear', surely you can say 'nuclear'? 'Nuptual' annoys me too - it's nuptial ! (Maybe they think 'nuptual' sounds more 'voluptious'? [Biased] . I also hate that neologism, 'attendee'. A person who attends something is an 'attender'. An 'attendee' is someone who is attended (or possibly attended to?).

As for slips, my school friend's little sister ran into the house and announced to her mother that school friend no 2 (aged, I seem to remember, 13) and a boy were 'shagging' in the shed. Actually, they were only snogging...

The friend who was the snogger (or snoggee?) grew up to work in the complaints department at British Telecom. She received a letter saying 'My husband refuses to pay the phone bill because he says it is absorbent'.

I had a university friend who used to do Tai Chi. To my great surprise, twenty years after I'd last seen him, he and his wife and kid moved into the next road to me. When I mentioned this to my mother, she said 'Is he still practising his marital arts?' I presume, given the presence of the kid, that he is.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My school friend had a number of these - how about 'pompous grass' for pampas grass? Since pampas grass sticks up very tall, and is often on the front lawns of pompous people, it fits very well.

Then there was 'desecrated coconut' (for dessicated) and when I had my nose cauterised, she told everyone I was having it 'castrated'. [Eek!]

I'm still trying to convince Hugal that you do something 'off your own bat' and not 'off your own back' too.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal, you had the good sense to marry her. Now have the good sense to listen to her. [Big Grin]

----
I often engage in Spoonerisms. Sometimes this for humourous intent, other times cos I stuff up.

One day I was watching a festival parade. A friend was on a parade float decorated as a medieval castle. He jumped down and presented me with a rose. "Ah, my shite in knining armour!" I knew something was wrong with that phrase, but it took me 5 minutes to work out why it didn't sound quite right. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016