homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Papal Coronation / MW 1008: Papal Coronation (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Papal Coronation / MW 1008: Papal Coronation
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As mentioned, MW Report 1008: St Peter's Square, Vatican City is now available.

[ 29. April 2005, 19:22: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I loved reading the report, by the way, except the bit about Benedict looking old and tired. I was struck how sprightly and happy he looked, for a man of his age faced with the vocation he has now to fulfil.

Yes. He looked rather nervous and a bit shy at the beginning, I thought. I found myself unexpectedly warming to him at that point, it seemed a very human reaction. He seemed to relax more as the ceremony progressed until by the time he was doing the Popemobile bit he looked as if he was really enjoying it. That is the bit that for me stands out most vividly: he looked so much happier and to my mind somewhat younger than he'd done at the start of the ceremony. (Though part of that could well have been relief that the major and most public part was coming to an end.)
jprainbow
Apprentice
# 8813

- Posted      Profile for jprainbow   Email jprainbow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Mystery Worshipper, Mother and Baby Clanger for the report on the new Pope's first service. I really enjoyed reading it. There was a wonderful mixture of reverent worship and homeliness, which is just how I imagine Jesus was - and all of us, really, who try to follow Him. Thanks again!

--------------------
UP THE VALE!

Posts: 27 | From: Stoke-on-Trent | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well folks,

Those of you who were waiting for a coronation either now or in the future can forget about it. If BXVI's coat of arms is an indication at all, a triple tiara won't be in use any time soon. Even JP2 had retained it as part of the design above his shield but HH's new arms only display a mitre above and a palium (old style!) below.

--------------------
More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of the Papal coat of arms, I saw a picture of BXVI in the paper this morning; the banner below his window still displays JPII's arms.

I'd have thought the Vatican would have produced a new one by now. Perhaps the new arms haven't been devised yet?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sacristan
Shipmate
# 3548

- Posted      Profile for Sacristan   Email Sacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear basso,

I refer you to my comments made above.

For more details go here .

--------------------
More abomination, more abomination

Posts: 1008 | From: West of Gotham | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the additional information, Sacristan.

Was he using JPII's arms because the Vatican hasn't had a chance to run up a new banner with his own?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would seem the only logical reason.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Archbishop Paddy O'Laud
Apprentice
# 9294

- Posted      Profile for Archbishop Paddy O'Laud   Author's homepage   Email Archbishop Paddy O'Laud   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wossisname remarked that the fishermans ring was a replacement for the Tiara. Not so, it originally was engraved with the papal seal and was used to make impressions on sealing wax for important papal documents. Pallii plural of pallium are made from the wool of lambs harvested on St. Agnes day and are given as a sign of Archiepiscopal authority. Some have relics in the pinheads holding it in position on the chasuble. And yes, the Vatican didn't have a new banner for Papa Ratzi as they wouldn't have known what coat of arms he desired - unless the election was a fiddle - and that could never happen now, could it?

--------------------
Archbishop Paddy O'Laud
Anyone who WANTS to be a Bishop DESERVES to be a Bishop.
[Bishop Thomas Lobsinger D. April 2000]

Posts: 15 | From: In the Frozen North of Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Minor editorial point on MW1008: The "Did anything distract you?" section is not set off in red and is currently shown as part of the "What musical instruments were played?" section.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks--I've let the MW Report editors know.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archbishop Paddy O'Laud:
Pallii plural of pallium

'Pallia' in Latin, I think you'll find.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016