homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Get out of my queue, sister (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Get out of my queue, sister
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. How about a store policy that requires that feeble, infirm, or physically challenged shoppers pass directly to the front of the queue? Or that they use a special queue? Or that the store provide young, teen-aged shopping companions for the same?

Work with me here, people.

Thanks, MT!

[ 30. July 2005, 16:33: Message edited by: The Riv ]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The obvious solution is for her to put a hand-basket inside her trolley and only buy what fits in the hand-basket. Then when she gets to the head of the line, ask somebody to lift the basket onto the conveyor belt and ditch the trolley.

I'm feeling nearly as smart as The Riv!

Or is that something to crow about?

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63209 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find a cassock is a great way to skip the queues - yer average person can't wait to get me out of the shop and I get sent to the front of the queue almost every time.

If I wore a cassock to the supermarket deliberately, it would be a grave sin... [Roll Eyes]

Corpus
(Mind you, everybody has a good scan of my trolley as I pass, so it's not a good way to bulk buy gin or condoms...)

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps, MT, more accurate feelings re: me are to be found on a nearby Hell thread? I believe the current phrase is "regularly scheduled prejudice." You've been PMing with ken again, haven't you.

--------------------

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I should add...

My local Sainsbury has express lanes with pictures - it has hand baskets and little trolleys with hand-basket-sized baskets. The express lane shows pictures of both so that those unable to carry their basket can have a little trolley and still use the express queue.

Cc

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
You've been PMing with ken again, haven't you.

Not hardly. I don't agree with him much more often than I agree with you, truth be told. He just isn't as much of a nitwit, usually. No offense.

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
Oh, and I should add...

My local Sainsbury has express lanes with pictures - it has hand baskets and little trolleys with hand-basket-sized baskets. The express lane shows pictures of both so that those unable to carry their basket can have a little trolley and still use the express queue.

Cc

That's great and a partial solution, but unfortunately, most wheel chairs are as wide or wider than a typical grocery cart.

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Ah, but we also have wider 'wheelchair-friendly' lanes, where such users have priority, and trolleys designed to be pushed by wheelchair users.

My giddy aunt - sounds like Trumpton might be in the forefront of supermarket trolley technology! Who'd have thought it possible?

Corpus

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

So what it all boils down to, is that if grocery stores want to prevent queue rage, they should actually ENFORCE the rules they already have in place.

If they don't, I'm all in favor of vigilante queue justice. Everybody in line behind the rule-breaker could mob their trolley and throw items out onto the floor until it's down to the maximum number allowed. It would never happen, I'm sure, but it makes me feel better to contemplate it. [Snigger]

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

I have been in a queue at a standard checkout and heard someone mutter to her husband about the woman at the front of the queue in a wheelchair who was taking so long to get through. "Gaw, we'll be 'ere al-f**king-day - she's supposed to use that checkout."

"That" check-out (the wheelchair friendly one)was full of dumb bimbos with boyfriends wearing just shorts, sizeable (and visible) muscles and heavily laden but easily lifted baskets.

Since her husband/spouse/lover/significant other was about twice my size all over, and his semi-clad state made clear the tattooes on his rippling muscles (and he had rippling muscles in places I don't have muscles at all) I nailed my colours firmly to the fence and said nought. [Hot and Hormonal]

Corpus

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

...but I did "tut" loudly when they were out of earshot.

Cc

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
...but I did "tut" loudly when they were out of earshot.

Cc

That showed 'em.

--------------------

Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Pax Romana:
The trouble is that New Yorkers have no concept of space and how to use it. To a New York business person, empty space is just one more place to put something. If you are even remotely claustophobic, this is not the place to go shopping.

It's not a New York thing. Grocery stores in the spacious west are just as bad.
You've obviously never shopped at Fairway or Zabar's, then. [Smile]

[ 30. July 2005, 18:39: Message edited by: Living in Gin ]

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorcas

Ship's florist
# 4775

- Posted      Profile for dorcas   Email dorcas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find a cassock is a great way to skip the queues - yer average person can't wait to get me out of the shop and I get sent to the front of the queue almost every time.

If I wore a cassock to the supermarket deliberately, it would be a grave sin... [Roll Eyes]

Corpus
(Mind you, everybody has a good scan of my trolley as I pass, so it's not a good way to bulk buy gin or condoms...)

[Killing me]

--------------------
"I love large women - they supply warmth in the winter and shade in the summer!" (With thanks to Gort!)

Posts: 387 | From: The Curry Mile, Manchester | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
OT: any one know the exact wording on Trader Joes' express lanes? It's something like "10 items. A few more, a few less, no big deal." Gah! It makes me want to weep every time I see it. What's the point of having such a lane if you're not even going to try to set some limits?

OMG! Someone figured out how people actually use the Express Lane and decided to describe it accurately. DOOMED, I tell you, we're all DOOMED!

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2941 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman once ran over my foot with a heavily loaded shopping cart in her effort to get into the checkout line ahead of me and the friend I was shopping with.

My friend, not a shrinking violet, said "stupid bitch" in a carrying tone of voice and pushed our cart in behind said bitch, trapping her in the checkout line. Whereupon he continued along the lines of "Can't believe that woman. How rude. Who does she think she is? Are you alright?" etc.

She had her back to us but you could see her neck was beet-red. I'd like to say it was very satisfying but actually, being of a shy and retiring disposition, it was rather embarrassing.

This was in a rich part of town and you could tell she was shocked that trash would talk that way to People Like Her.

She probably also parks her SUV in the No Parking lane along side Starbucks in the same part of town. I call it "the No Parking except for SUVs lane".

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
...being of a shy and retiring disposition..

[Killing me]

[ 30. July 2005, 19:28: Message edited by: Corpus cani ]

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
OT: any one know the exact wording on Trader Joes' express lanes? It's something like "10 items. A few more, a few less, no big deal." Gah! It makes me want to weep every time I see it. What's the point of having such a lane if you're not even going to try to set some limits?

In Everett, TJs solves the problem by making us use small carts. After you place your case of Two (Three) Buck Chuck in it, there isn't much other room. Besides the keep enough people working there to keep the lines moving.

Instead, the signs on the checkouts at TJs are named after various major streets in Everett, like Rucker Avenue, Colby Avenue, Hewitt Avenue, and—our favorite—Everett Mall Way. I think even Marine View Drive made it into the mix.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Some unhellish thoughts: why not ask your store manager to change the qualification of the express lanes to "Single Hand Baskets Only -- No Carts, Please. Thank you."...And, the store could narrow that queue enough so that a push cart would not fit.

You've never had to work a grocery store in one of the provided electric carts because you and your crutches can't handle a cart, have you? The ADA is a wonderful thing.

(I guess I should return my key to Fred Meyer's now that I don't need it any more.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Peronel:
Except some people - my grandmother for one - cannot manage to carry a basket, but can push a trolley.

One reason why I don't need an electric cart to shop anymore is that the cart takes the place of my cane: provides enough steadying so I can walk around in crowds.

I'm learning that having a cane around can help you sidestep some rules at times, though. [Snigger] LATA, you might consider shopping with one. You can also use it to keep your kids and any nuns in line.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bede:
quote:
I'm learning that having a cane around can help you sidestep some rules at times, though. LATA, you might consider shopping with one. You can also use it to keep your kids and any nuns in line.

You know, that's a thought. There's something about a cane being shaken in admonishment that strikes terror in the heart of all. [Eek!] [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21315 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One problem with a 'baskets only' policy is that you can fit a very large number of small items into a basket, and each has to be rung up separately. I'm thinking of things like spices.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20263 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Or tins of sardines. I reckon I could fit about 70 tins of sardines in a supermarket basket.

I have no problem with letting anyone with one or two things go ahead of me if I have a full trolley. I'm most likely to do this with elderly folk, pregnant woman or people with a tribe of toddlers.

Clergy can wait (unless old, pregnant or with a tribe of toddlers). Sorry folks, but here in Multi-cultural inner Melbourne, by the time I let through all the nuns, priests (Orthodox), priests (non-Orthodox), Imams, monks and I don't know who else, I'd never get through myself.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...The Tribe of Toddlers are a mysterious, secretive clan, given to strange eating habits, unintelligible guttural mutterings and unpredictable hygienic practices. Approach with caution.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Living in Gin:
quote:
quote:
The trouble is that New Yorkers have no concept of space and how to use it. To a New York business person, empty space is just one more place to put something. If you are even remotely claustophobic, this is not the place to go shopping.

I've never heard of Fairway, but I've seen Zabar's in the movies, and my local Trader Joe's looks more crowded with stuff.
Posts: 24430 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fairway makes any aisle at Trader Joe's look like an airport tarmac.

(That said, I absolutely love Fairway... Talk about sensory overload. One of the few things I actually miss about NYC, even if I rarely spent a dime there.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Sorry folks, but here in Multi-cultural inner Melbourne, by the time I let through all the nuns, priests (Orthodox), priests (non-Orthodox), Imams, monks and I don't know who else, I'd never get through myself.

I'm just trying to imagine what your supermarket must be like with hordes of clergy in their traditional outfits wandering round it with baskets and trolleys, all blatantly disregarding the "Five Items or Less" sign, and presumably outnumbering the regular shoppers. I virtually never see any clerical people of any description in any supermarket.

It is quite an interesting thought though that there is this vast niche market that supermarkets aren't tapping. Maybe they could have an aisle of religious things aimed at the clerical shopper. You could get your pound of onions, bottle of gin, and a six-pack of fluorescent holy statues all in the same shop.

And if you can now do weddings in supermarkets (there was a couple who got married in Asda last year) why not other things? It would make a lot of sense to have (for example) an in-store confessional. Obviously something like this would have to be coin-operated, but once you'd put money in the slot to get in, you could then tell the priest how guilty you felt about squandering the housekeeping on gin.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Back in high school, I spent the better part of a year working as a cashier at a Winn-Dixie supermarket in Jacksonville, Florida.

Well there's your problem right there. Other than the mega-mart in Ponte Vedra, every W-D store I've ever been in is a shithole.

quote:
There were many others... But the Monarch of Wierdness was Jerry, our store manager. He once clipped off a bagger's mullet in the store office, against the bagger's will.
Every single one of his offences can be forgiven on the basis of this alone.

Viola and others will be happy to know that the preferred supermarket in this area, Publix, changed their express lane signage a long time ago to read "10 Items or Fewer". So there is at least one marketing department that employs people who've passed sixth-grade English.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try grocery shopping with a kid in a wheelchair. He immediately becomes "The Human Grocery Cart". I put one of the plastic baskets in his lap, and use it for lightweight items, like chips, bread, cereal, etc. It doesn't take much like that to fill it up, however. Anything heavy, like milk or detergent, gets wedged in beside him, or under him, or on the back handles. It's pretty hilarious. I tell folks I know it's time to stop when I can't see him anymore! Then we go through the self-checkout line for any size order, which I love. I fill the bags, give him one or two light ones to carry in his lap, then hook the rest of them on me or the chair. We've never had any trouble with other shoppers or store personnel. It's all about attitude. [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, lately I've had an inordinate number of fellow supermarket shoppers invite me to take cuts in line because I only have a few items in my basket. (I tend to run in for this or that on a daily basis.) At first I thought people were in a particularly neighborly mood, but now I worry that I appear somehow challenged , and that they're taking pity on my affliction. [Biased]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6357 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
And if you can now do weddings in supermarkets (there was a couple who got married in Asda last year) why not other things? It would make a lot of sense to have (for example) an in-store confessional. Obviously something like this would have to be coin-operated, but once you'd put money in the slot to get in, you could then tell the priest how guilty you felt about squandering the housekeeping on gin.

Asda introduced chaplains in some stores a couple of years ago.
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Marks & Spencer's this morning, and noted that the express line in their food section is marked '10 items or fewer'.

There's quality for you.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Sorry folks, but here in Multi-cultural inner Melbourne, by the time I let through all the nuns, priests (Orthodox), priests (non-Orthodox), Imams, monks and I don't know who else, I'd never get through myself.

I'm just trying to imagine what your supermarket must be like with hordes of clergy in their traditional outfits wandering round it with baskets and trolleys, all blatantly disregarding the "Five Items or Less" sign, and presumably outnumbering the regular shoppers. I virtually never see any clerical people of any description in any supermarket.
You should pop in one day. We have the lot. There's all the Cathlick and protty joints within a couple of blocks of the supermarket (including the aforesaid Mercy and Maronite Convents), a mosque not too far away at all (complete with The Imam that our Prime Minister saw fit to slag off last week in the press), a Kingdom Hall, and lots of Orthodox churches. There was a Sikh temple too, but that burned to the ground. I don't see many Buddhists though.

quote:

It is quite an interesting thought though that there is this vast niche market that supermarkets aren't tapping. Maybe they could have an aisle of religious things aimed at the clerical shopper. You could get your pound of onions, bottle of gin, and a six-pack of fluorescent holy statues all in the same shop.

In a multi-cultural area, that would be asking for trouble. There'd need to be a new code to deal with all the punch-ups as they congregate and get all uppity at what's on offer for the rival group. Imams, for example, probably would not approve of the sale of Gin in the same aisle as the Koran.

"Code 666 in Aisle 14. Assistance required".

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you imagine what would happen if pork sausage from Rev. Smith's basket accidentally fell into Rabbi Stein's basket? Or if Sister Mercy's tequila bottle touched Imam Wali's tangerines?

Everyone, of course, would be surreptitiously checking Fr. Brown's basket for condoms.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

... OR Food Town, OR C-Town, OR Key Food OR Gristedes or any other New York City supermarket. Free space in the aisles = some other place to put boxes of stuff so that it's hard for people to pass by or to reach some of the things on the shelves.

Add to this the usual supermarket stupidity that one encounters everywhere, and food shopping in New York City becomes a major annoyance.

Praise God for all those little corner grocery stores that we have all over the place here. When you can't deal with the thought of going through a supermarket line just to pick up a few items, the corner store can be a lifesaver.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
quote:
Back in high school, I spent the better part of a year working as a cashier at a Winn-Dixie supermarket in Jacksonville, Florida.

Well there's your problem right there. Other than the mega-mart in Ponte Vedra, every W-D store I've ever been in is a shithole.
I worked at the location at Baymeadows Road and Southside Boulevard. It was actually one of the nicer locations in the chain (I'll grant that Winn-Dixie sucks in general), but we still couldn't hold a candle to the large Publix store in the same shopping center that was consistently cleaner, better stocked, friendlier, and presumably not managed by a mouthwash-swilling nitwit.

--------------------

Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

quote:
Add to this the usual supermarket stupidity that one encounters everywhere, and food shopping in New York City becomes a major annoyance.

Agreed... I dreaded my bi-weekly trip to the neighborhood C-Town. Imagine the contents of a typical west coast Safeway crammed into a space roughly half the size of one. [Eek!]

--------------------

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
I was in Marks & Spencer's this morning, and noted that the express line in their food section is marked '10 items or fewer'.

There's quality for you.

Tesco's just says "10 items only"! It makes me wonder if you're actually OK going in with only three items...
Posts: 2373 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two elderly retired phone men are pushing their carts around Walmart when they collide. The first old guy says to the second guy, "Sorry about that. I'm looking for my wife, and I guess I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."
The second old guy says, "That's OK, It's a coincidence. I'm looking for my wife, too. I can't find her and I'm getting a little desperate."
The first old guy says, "Well, maybe I can help you find her. What does she look like?"
The second old guy says, "Well, she is 27 yrs old, tall, with red hair, blue eyes, long legs, big busted, and is wearing short shorts. What does your wife look like?"
The first old guy says, "Doesn't matter, let's look for yours."

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gin sez:
You've obviously never shopped at Fairway or Zabar's, then.

My favorite part of the Lunatic Fairway Market on Broadway is the minute elevator! to the second floor organic department.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:
My favorite part of the Lunatic Fairway Market on Broadway is the minute elevator! to the second floor organic department.

Is that minnit as in how long it takes, or mynoot as in how small it is?

--------------------

Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:

Is that minnit as in how long it takes, or mynoot as in how small it is?
I'm familiar with the elevator in question, and it's certainly the former... Minutes tick by, the sun crosses the sky, basketball seasons come and go, civilizations rise and fall, and galaxies are created and destroyed in the time it takes this elevator to travel the distance of roughly fifteen vertical feet.

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved reading this thread. Hugs all around! [Axe murder]

I was immediatley struck by the irony of LATA's "Mother Superior" moniker and her nun-ly avatar. Surprised nobdy else had fun with that.

But, I'm a rather un-hellish person always looking for a joke.

Bye, now...

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Praise God for all those little corner grocery stores that we have all over the place here. ...

where you can pay twice as much for prodcuts near or past their "best before" date.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7758 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trini
Shipmate
# 7921

- Posted      Profile for Trini   Email Trini   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one supermarket chain, they've mostly solved this problem by making the "10 items or fewer" line a cash-only line as well. This helps a lot as most people don't seem to carry enough cash to pay for more than 10 items anyway.
Posts: 816 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
...Praise God for all those little corner grocery stores that we have all over the place here. ...

where you can pay twice as much for prodcuts near or past their "best before" date.
Ain't that the truth. Which is a real pity, because I like the idea of supporting my local small-business-person without cheeky tarts in tat* butting into my lane, but I'm truly over off-butter.

Has anyone tried on-line shopping? Is it as satisfying having a big truck pull into your driveway and unload a few bags of goodies?

*unsure if this is correct use of the term "tat", but you know what I mean.

[ 05. August 2005, 11:01: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone tried on-line shopping? Is it as satisfying having a big truck pull into your driveway and unload a few bags of goodies?

Yup, I used to do most of my food shopping online (Iceland), but when we moved the only store that would deliver is Tesco. In all of our time with Iceland (about 5 years) we only had a couple of problems and those were very minor. When that happened I phoned the store and they were very apologetic and sorted the problem straight away.

Shopping online with Tesco has been a totally different box of cookies. Every single order was incomplete or wrong. We were charged for things we didn't receive. Stuff went missing. The worst it got was when I was charged about £14 extra. I got totally sick of speaking to their centralised helpdesk. I think that if I had be able to speak to someone in the shop the customer service would have been much better.

So, the short version of the story is: I no longer buy my food online. The only company that provides that service doesn't understand the word 'service'.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On-line shopping is fairly new to the Midwest USA. We've used it pretty frequently. In our case, the service is impeccable and the produce is fresh, however it is somewhat more expensive (just a hair more than the top of the line 'brick and mortar' markets).

We do find we save money because shopping online tends to cut down on impulse purchases and forces you to plan the meals a little more completely.

We then used our neighborhood stores to supplement, when e.g. the milk has run out. Cuts out the big markets entirely.

Lately, we've done less of this and gone back to buying staples (esp. paper goods) at the big markets and fresh items from our local neighborhood stores. Our neighborhood stores seem to be better than those reported elsewhere on this thread. We just can't get our act together to plan the meals that far in advance to deal with the on-line shopping right now. Maybe when the weather gets colder and we're home more.....

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We get a weekly organic fruit 'n' veg box from an online company based nearby which is excellent. They also sell meat, dairy etc and we occasionally take advantage of that. Most of the rest of our meat comes from the butchers van at the market.

This thread reminds me of one of the reasons I avoid supermarkets as much as possible. (The other being that much of their buying behaviour seems, to me, to be ethically dubious at the very least. For further information, Joanna Blythmann's excellent book 'Shopped' should fill you in nicely). Basically I treat them as corner shops, and get the rest of my shopping from as many independent places as possible.

And, although in many instances these corner shop type places are a little more expensive, in other cases they are often cheaper and much of the food is a lot nicer!

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
HopPik
Shipmate
# 8510

- Posted      Profile for HopPik     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We tried online shopping a couple of years ago and stopped again almost immediately. It was fresh produce that was the problem. I want meat to have just enough fat to make it tasty but not too much. Broccoli with a hint of yellow? Forget it. Celery, leeks, I'll pick the bunch with most white in it. Avocados I'm going to squeeze. Etcetera.

The store claimed to employ "trained shoppers" to select goods but twas a joke. When I phoned after the first delivery they confessed that most of their "trained shoppers" were school leavers who had never shopped for a family in their lives. They wanted to attract "mature women" for the job but no luck so far. Nuff said.

--------------------
Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and supposedly the pig enjoys it. G.B. Shaw

Posts: 2084 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016