homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall go for the flag of the Marshall Islands.

The Marshall Islands are in the North Pacific Ocean.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the flag of the Marshall Islands

I shall now go and look in an atlas and find out where they are as I'd never actually heard of them until now.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Libya

I think the creativity of this flag is in its noncreativity.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe it. Cross posted in the time it took me to put my post together. And it's that Moth, too. She's always preempting my brilliant ideas.

Right, back to the drawing board.....

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I rather like the flag of the Marshall Islands

I shall now go and look in an atlas and find out where they are as I'd never actually heard of them until now.

Excuse me, but I posted first! It is a nice flag, though! Great minds think alike!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for the smallest State - The Vatican City

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I defer to your faster fingers, moth. [Overused]

I'll try Christmas Island seeing as it's October already and we ought all to be thinking of Christmas.

[ 03. October 2005, 22:02: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall choose the Overseas Department of Réunion or in its native French tongue :
Département d'Outre-Mer de la Réunion

It says it's a local, unofficial flag, but "it's on the internet so it mut be real"™

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the flag of Grenada is pretty!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martinique

You've got to wonder what kind of people put snakes on their flag. [Snigger]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to nominate the flag of maryland as shown on this page.

I don't even know how to describe those shapes. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nutmeg,

When I was setting up this round I looked at Maryland as the perfect example, however, the more I thought about it, if I had still been in the contest, I would have gone for the Rugasaw choice.

Only the passage of time will determine the outcome. Oh, and a touch of analysis.

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With my Avatar, I had to [Biased]

The USSR flag.

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,
Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.
O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swaziland for me.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Nutmeg,

When I was setting up this round I looked at Maryland as the perfect example, however, the more I thought about it, if I had still been in the contest, I would have gone for the Rugasaw choice.

Only the passage of time will determine the outcome. Oh, and a touch of analysis.

Well I do not envy you the task of analysing them all. That will take quite some work.

I like Libya's flag for it's understatement, but as it was taken I chose Maryland's. This site gives more details as to the origin of the Maryland flag. It is based on two family crests. Interesting isn't it?

[Biased]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i shall nominate the Northern Mariana Islands flag for mine. Hideous I think you'll agree.
For more info on these islands have a look here, they do exist. Honest.

Incidentally, Mr QM and all other interested participants, this is a rather handy website for flag choosing. I use it for quizzes for my youthgroup regularly!

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just realized that my site for Grenada only showed the flag. You have to look in the address bar to see the name of the country. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only four contestants have failed to post so far. If one of them forgets completely, working this round out will be easy. If not, it's going to be hard.

Nevertheless, I've worked out a rough-and-ready system. QM said "the most similarities", so I've listed each possible similarity (eg, 'contains the colour red') separately on a sheet, and noted which entries have those factors.

I then took the most common factor, and eliminated any flags which didn't feature it. Next I looked at the second most common factor across all flags, not just those remaining, and eliminated any remaining flags which didn't have that. And so until the end.

The most common factor at the moment is overall shape (all flags have a shape!), and the most common overall shape is rectangular. I thus eliminated ann (the Vatican flag is square) and myself (Nepal's flag is a bizarre double triangle).

The second most common factor is the colour white, which allowed me to eliminate another four entries. Red being third I eliminated five more. That left five entries which had all of the previous factors in common.

Of those five, three had one or more crosses on their flag (a popular motif). So I decided to eliminate the two that didn't.

It then remained only to note that yellow (as opposed to orange) seems to be a very popular colour. This reduced the pool by one, leaving the two flags which were, by this method, the most similar. Those of Guernsey and St Pierre & Miquelon.

But of course, a method like this can only show which flags share certain features. The two flags which "won" look nothing like each other, whereas a black/white cross would be 'nothing like' a red/blue cross!

Good luck to whomever has to decide which flags are most similar for real [Biased] ...

Marvin
Far, far, far too much time on my hands [Help] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choices, choices ...Shall it be Ohio (shape) or Corsica (colours and content)?

Ohio, it is.

(The nice thing about being an also-ran is that you can skip any rounds you want to with impunity.)

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely total number of colours would be better than "contains red"...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Your flag must be different from all the other flags chosen. We will use colour, shape, number of colours, number of shapes, horizontal, vertical, images and match each flag with all the others. The person choosing the flag with the most similarities will be eliminated.

Another approach would be to rank each flag by how many others it is similiar to in each category. For example, flags could be grouped by shape (rectangular, square, triangle, pennant, etc.) and each flag in a category would get a score of the number of other flags in the same category. Repeat this for each criteria, and total the scores for each flag.

For "colour" this could be broken down into primary colours (a significant portion of the flag) and detail colours. If you just look for common colours, that put those with multiple colours at a disadvantage, so you can assign a percentage for each colour (so an all-blue flag would only be 1/3 in common with a tri-colour flag... or not).

I presume that "horizontal" and "vertical" refer to the number of major features in each direction (though I'm sure that QM will clarify his intentions for someone willing to help him with the assessments). So for the 7 criteria we have 4 numeric values and 3 lists of colours / images / shapes.

As a simple example, the Welsh flag would be assigned one point for each other rectangular flag, 1 point for each flag with green, 1 for white, one for red, one for each flag with 2 horizontal bars, one for each with no vertical bars, 1 for each other flag with three colours, one for each other flag with a dragon and... well, I'm sure that QM can clarify how he wants to count number of shapes in that case. (Would this be just one type of shape - rectangles?)

In the end, the flag with the most total points is the one that matches the most other flags in those categories.

Of course, sometimes the symbols may not be entirely clear or easy to categorize. (It can be easy to mistake the Zia Sun symbol on the New Mexico flag for a cross, for example.) But variety is part of what makes the quiz fun, and I'm sure that is one reason that QM chose it.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmmmmmmm .... shall I be cruel and end this round tonight? There is no way all four of the remaining competitors will post by tonight is there? I could save myself an awful lot of tough analysis. Then again, I love analysing complex problems. Ho hum ... such a difficult decision, maybe I should seek guidance from the throng gathered here in anticipation ... or ... maybe I shall go for a walk and get some fresh air.

(totally insubstantial aside over) [Smile]

[ 04. October 2005, 17:47: Message edited by: Quizmaster ]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't even think about the shape of the flag I chose; I just went for the idea that crossed keys and a triple ta-ra-ra would be pretty rare and got in before anyone else came up with the same bright idea.

--------------------
Ann

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
I didn't even think about the shape of the flag I chose; ...

Sometimes it is helpful to wait before you post.

[ 04. October 2005, 18:25: Message edited by: sharkshooter ]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
St. Pierre & Miquelon

[Razz] I wanted that one!

New Brunswick (You need to scroll down a bit to get to it)

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was me thinking that only a few people had posted. Then I find there's another whole page of posts. Why, on the one day I don't make it to my computer until evening, do you post these things QM?! [Help]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ALSO RAN TABLE

9pts - R.D.Olivaw
7pts - Sharkshooter
5pts - Tom Day

Do I go for an Also Ran entry to snipe at the flag bearers .....

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to withdraw from the competition. Proceed!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hmmmmmmmmm .... shall I be cruel and end this round tonight? There is no way all four of the remaining competitors will post by tonight is there?

Give me a minute, have only just got in from work! And seeing as that work today involved feeding a ten-day-old version of something that there's only 50 left of in the world (yes, really) and rapidly heading for 49, it kinda needed doing. Anyway, flags...

I'm going forMacau. It's green, with a flower on. I like it!

Now pardon me while I go hose myself down.

Hen x

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
... And seeing as that work today involved feeding a ten-day-old version of something that there's only 50 left of in the world (yes, really) and rapidly heading for 49, it kinda needed doing. ...

Now pardon me while I go hose myself down.

Hen x

You gonna tell us what it was then?!!?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I have to withdraw from the competition. Proceed!

You mean I did all that analysis for nothing? Well shoot [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
You gonna tell us what it was then?!!?

One of these little critters. A baby one, fits in the palm of your hand. It's so cute I don't really mind that it crawled up my shoulder and spat gloopy rehydration fluid into my hair.

So is the next round starting tonight then?

Hen x

--------------------

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Wow! Though if it's rusty, perhaps a little oil would help.

Glad to know you're taking care of it, though, even if it does cover you with go.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Knocked Out for failing to flag their entries:
Gort
The Rogue

QUALIFIERS
Ann
Auntie Doris
Carex
Chorister
Christianjimmy
Custard
Hazey Jane
Hennah
Jedijudy
Marvin the Martian
Moth
MrSponge2U
Nutmeg
Pants
Papa Smurf
Professorkirke
Rugasaw
Smudgie

My wife chose the next round as an incentive for me.

[Edited QM's grammar, as requested [Angel] ]

[ 05. October 2005, 06:53: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND TEN: SKI RUNS

I need three things from you for this round. The name of the ski resort, the mountain that the run begins on and the name of the ski run.

I shall then choose the runs I am happy to ski and knock out the person who chooses my least favourite run. So you need some information...

I learned to ski in my late teens and early twenties and used to love the wide open motorways to get some speed up with shallow jumps and some compressions (look it up). I progressed and got
better to the point where I thought I could ski the steep black Schilthorn run (look it up) first thing in the morning and I rolled down most of it. I skied the red diamond run in Obergurgl on my second day there once but then I aged and earned to the point when I last skied (some time ago) the businessmen I skied with would do one or two runs before finding a mountain cafe for a drink, then another run before lunch and one before afternoon mulled wine and one or two before the serious beers. I have not skied for about 5 years.

Find me that perfect skirun.

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

Mountain: High Rustler , in the resort of Alto, Utah. I recommend you go for the Albion run first until you get your snow legs back, then progress to the higher runs, then go for a hot toddy when you find you've seized up the next day! [Big Grin] Map here.

Hen x

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Breckenridge in the Rockies. It's got a good range of runs, though I think you'd particularly like the run from Vista Haus down to the Bergenhof restaurant, especially as it has a very state-of-the-art ski lift to save you trudging up that strenuous slope. The run is a green-blue run which means you can preserve that valuable energy for the "lively" nightlife and a decent bit of apres-ski with the Mrs. (assuming you choose to take her with you rather than me.... )

There are some impressive powder bowls too... highly important if you need to brush up your make up and get rid of that rosy glow in your cheeks. [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Incidentally, the run doesn't seem to have a name. However I can recommend the website I used for anyone else looking for info about the various resorts and runs - Here it is again - index down the side of the page

Oh and Quizzy, to help you make your mind up, you can always experience the thrill of the Breckenridge slopes by webcam ... indeed, you could even put your feet up and live the dream without ever moving from your armchair!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This looks pretty.... the Stella Massif (I presume that is the mountain!!). The resort is called Arabba and there would appear to be a ski run called the Sella Ronda. Here's a lovely map so you can have a look at all those dangerous runs

Lots of nice food places too... I am sure you will have a lovely time... do send us a postcard!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't find a Circus mountain so I went for Purgatory . I suggest lift 5 (double grizzly lift) as that will allow you to stop at a cafe on the way down. And I can say from experience that it offers a range of difficulty. And some of the more difficult runs you can ease off of part of the way down. useful if like me you remember being better than you are.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

The resort name is Durango Mountain Resort.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I thought you might like Kitzbuhel, a gorgeous Tyrolean spot from all accounts. It opens in December at the latest.

If you're feeling really keen, you can even test yourself against The "Streif" while you're there [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Oh, and the mountain it's on is the Hahnenkamm...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ann

Curious
# 94

Well, I first thought that one that's easy to get to would be the Exeter Dry Ski Slope - a few goes down the slope, there must be a bar or at least a cafe, then home in time for tea. But, I couldn't find a mountain name, and they don't seem to have a web site, so, think again.

Next thought was, "Ooh, he wanted to go on a Baltic cruise, how about looking up there to kill two birds with one stone. And I think I've found something. The town of Sälen has four mountains to play with so I'll choose the Nya Norbakken run on the Tandadalen mountain, a nice looking blue route to get you back into the swing of things (I wouldn't insult you with a green run, and I'd suggest waiting until you had made up for five years of not skiing before trying anything more ambitious). If you book your holiday to encompass the first Sunday in March, you could be there to watch the start of the Vasaloppet Challenge - a 90 km cross country ski from Sälen to Mora.

[ 04. October 2005, 23:27: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For an exciting adventure, try the Poi Bowl run on Mauna Kea, Hawai'i, at the Onizuka Center for International Astronomy.

They get the best snow during La Nina winters. While you are waiting for the right conditions (or after a hard day skiing) you can enjoy the tropical paradise and beautiful beaches. Or explore the volcanos (you might get to watch hot lava pouring into the ocean.) But please don't go scuba diving before a trip up the mountain - the additional nitrogen in your lungs can give you the bends at the 4200m summit.

There aren't any ski lifts. Since you need a 4WD vehicle to get to the top anyway, one person drops the skiers off then drives to the the lower road and picks them up for the next run.

It is good, however, to know how to stop on the snow, as if you run out of it you will end up skiing on lava and cinders, which are not as forgiving for control (or falling) as the snow is.

There are several web cams you can use to check the local conditions, including one on the Canada - France - Hawaii Telescope, as seen here.

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

Quizzy I am going to suggest to you that you head for the Matterhorn in Switzerland.

In particular I am suggesting you do not stay in a resort, but rather take a Chalet in Zermatt. While neighboring Gstaad is one of the world's top resorts with its three five-star hotels and St. Moritz is more popular, most rank Zermatt as Switzerland's top resort.

The skiing is definitely not for the novice or beginner, so I think as someone who has had some experience skiing and is now brushing up this will suit you. [Smile] Not only are the ski runs themselves the longest but it also has the longest winter season in the ALPS.

A ski map is here. I am guessing that an intermediate run would best suit you, and I thought the run from hohtalli down to riffelalp looked a nice long run.

[Smile]

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sending you to Whistler-Blackcomb in British Columbia, Canada.

The run you want to take is on the Whistler peak, and it's called The Saddle. Check out this page and CTRL-F on "Saddle" to find a description. It says

quote:
Off the Peak Chair (the highest lift) is The Saddle, an ultra smooth ride on a glacier. Because glaciers keep the snow refrigerated, it stays cold and dry.
If you're interested in checking out multiple trails over the course of your long ski-days, check out this trail map.

I stuck with Intermediate (American Blue Square) because Wikipedia describes them as "usually somewhat steep, but are usually groomed and wide." That seems to line up with your taste, while accomodating your long absence from skiing.

Here's a picture of part of the Saddle run, and here is a view from the slope looking down on the lodge.

Hope you enjoy.

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ski Resort: Château d'Oex (small, but regarded as possibly the best in Switzerland). This site gives it the top rating for intermediate and advanced skiers.

Piste Name: La Braye, red, but described as "long and exhilarating, with stunning views over the Gstaad valley"

Mountain: Monts Chevreuils.

This page also lets you check flights, book hotels, etc.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know QM, sometimes I just don't like you [Biased]

I can't go skiing this year (Annie said that putting the baby on my back wasn't an option) and here I am having to click lots of links showing ski runs, photos etc. Just makes me more brody and want to get my skis down from thae attic and in use. You could have thought of another idea no?

(Will post my also ran entry later on today when I have chance)

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear QM, if you would like a holiday as enjoyable as the one that disqualified me, can I suggest Mt Thebarton in Adelaide, Australia, an indoor run next door to a pub .
Cheers

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016