homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to direct you to Kleinwalsertal, a beautiful isolated place in Austria - the only place I've been on a real skiing holiday, but it is so small there's not much info on the net. Hunt it out anyway, it's a real gem!

My compo entry is Bansko in Bulgaria. The mountain is Todorin Brukh (2746) and the Platoto run (easy to medium) a good place to start. There is a new four-seat chair lift and the run is linked to more advance slopes from the top of the mountain when you are ready. There is also the opportunity to go night skiing and a fun park.

The Lion's Pub is just a few minutes from the ski lift and is open 24 hours a day, so it doesn't matter what time you finish skiing.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking to myself, now what kind of ski run wouldn't QM want to do, and I thought 'why, surely the type of skiing QM wouldn't want to do is the type of skiing that everyone else has done for years and years.' QM strikes me as a pioneering type, one to push the boundaries, one for whom no place is too strange or too far-off to explore (why else a cruise in the Baltic when I suggest a perfectly good alternative in the South Atlantic?! Rude, that's what I call it...) So i looked for a ski resort that no-one else has heard of yet, but one that surely ina number of years will become the next Aspen, one that anyone who's anyone will be dropping into coverstaions about "where they went last year, Darhling."

So, in light of this I offer up for your delectation
Yabuli Ski resort, China
(unfortunately this website is in Chinese, but I merely wanted to point out its authenticity! Try this instead for more useful information)

I suggest the run enticingly named trail number 5 (about halfway down the page) in the changbai mountain range. The longest trail in Asia dont ya know!!
Pegging down a mountain name is a little more tricky, as the pages are either in chinese, or refer to it generically as the changbai mountain range, however as I was perusing my back copies of the " Shanghai Star " I found an article giving the names of two of the slopes, one apparantly the most well know. I figure the most well known would be the best, and probably the longest (work with me here people...) and so I suggest that trail no. 5 is actually known as the Xiao Tianchi and unless someone proves me wrong I suggets QM, that you go off the beaten track to Yabuli nr the city of Harbin, site of the 1996 Asian Winter games, and have a ski down trail no. 5 on the slope quaintly known as Xiao Tianchi
Have a nice trip.

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to go to a funeral, so will this (http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/s/Skirun%20(Commodore)/Skirun%20(Commodore).htm) link do until I get back and get a chance to look properly?

(It wont let me do it as a proper link cos it's got brackets in.)

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall go with the highest mountain in Québec, Mount Tremblant. The family spent a lovely week there in August (not a skiing vacation) and are returning for a weekend at the end of October. It is about two hours form home, and a lovely, if a bit expensive, place to spend some time.

They have many trails, but I think you will like this one: the Flying Mile (#28) on the South face. It is not too long (about a mile [Biased] ) and there are lots of bars at the bottom of the ski run.

Of course, you could skip the skiing and sit in the bar at the top of the mountain and watch everyone else, which would be my choice.

[ 05. October 2005, 12:01: Message edited by: sharkshooter ]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to suggest the Timberline Lodge on beautiful Mount Hood, which is a volcano!!! [Big Grin] Daughter-Unit loves skiing and we thought that the Blossom Run looked like an interesting one. It runs just at the top of the treeline, and returns to the lodge for some of that quality relaxing which is so very important on a vaca.

Here's a picture I took of a side of Timberline and Mount Hood behind it with a nice lenticular cloud.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
I have to go to a funeral, so will this (http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/s/Skirun%20(Commodore)/Skirun%20(Commodore).htm) link do until I get back and get a chance to look properly?

(It wont let me do it as a proper link cos it's got brackets in.)

This should work Pants

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Here's a picture I took of a side of Timberline and Mount Hood behind it with a nice lenticular cloud.

Oops, try this instead.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you need a trip to Oz! Not only can you get fine skiing, but great weather, cheap food, and lots of beer (apres ski of course)
Try
The Old Hut Run on Mt Baw Baw stay at the

Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
PO Via Noojee,
Victoria 3833
Ph: 03 5165 1136
Fx: 03 5165 1125

Mt Baw Baw is the closest downhill ski resort to Melbourne at just 157km which equates to about 2.5 hours drive. Clearly one of the "smaller" resorts Mt Baw Baw has a lot to offer the beginner and improving skier/boarder. With a huge variety of beginner and intermediate terrain it is a great place to learn, perfect your technique or just have fun in general!
Mt Baw Baw offers 7 lifts (3 T bars and 4 Platters) as well as 10km of groomed XC trails and snowplay and toboggan areas. The more experienced XC skiers can follow trails all the way to Mt St Gwinear 5.5km to the east. There is a lot on offer for snowboarders with heaps of natural hits and many of the runs off the Malteese Cross T Bar forming natural half pipes. Mt Baw Baw offers a fully qualified ski school with local and overseas instructors.

Mt Baw Baw targets the family skiiers and boarders with significantly cheaper lift tickets and a family resort atmosphere bred from the large number of private lodges on the mountain. The spectacular scenery on offer from Baw Baw has to be seen to be believed with stunning views across the LaTrobe Valley to Western Port Bay and Wilsons Promontory

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Borovets in Bulgaria is a great place for a skiing holiday - and a good place for enjoying Bulgarian life as well. Unlike the more western resorts, it has a distinctly different flavour to it, and the whole place seems more friendly than any other.

So, the runs. Well, here is the Piste map I would reccomend 2 runs. Firstly, from the top of lift number 2, the left run going of to the left is a lovely run first above the treeline and then going below. Quite a long one as well, but wide pistes.

The second one is from the top of the gondola, lift number 1 and goes underneath the gondola for a little bit f mountain top skiing and then take the branch to the furthest left of the resort. This ends up with a lovely wide run with bumps and hollows and finishes by a nice restuarant that do either a lvely bulgarian beer, or some nice warm hot chocolate with brandy.

I now want to go and book my fkights [Biased]

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's better Pants.

There are so many naff skiing games around. I only ever played one I really enjoyed but that had an image of a female skier that I could follow down the run. [Biased]

Take an early night people, I shall give the others another full day to post then I should HAVE to make a decision. I like several of the options and a few of you are safe already.

My two favourites so far (so you can relax) are from Nutmeg and Rugasaw. The rest of you will have to sweat it out.

Any offers of ideas for the next round?

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am instructed, Quizmaster, by my chosen expert, the famous Strathclydezero, skier of note, that you will enjoy the white lady run in the Cairngorm mountain resort.

There will be fresh powder, clear crisp skies, the best view in Scotland, and a pint of Bellhaven waiting for you at the bar in the car park below. What more could you want?

And before you even roll out of bed, you can check if the run is open by clicking on this handy little interactive map.

Oh, and you can apparently ski right back to your car!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recommend a trip to Chamonix, host of the world's first Winter Olympic games in 1924. According to no less an authority than the Ask Men website, Chamonix ranks among the elite of contenders for the title of "world's most famous ski resort." Located at the foot of Mont-Blanc, it's the highest peak in the Alps and the second highest in Europe (top elevation 4,810 m/15,771 ft).

I recommend the Vallee Blanche ski run, one of the world's longest runs at 17km with a 2800m vertical drop. If I weren't a sea creature, I'd go there myself. [Biased]

[ 05. October 2005, 22:57: Message edited by: MrSponge2U ]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps a musical round? We loves the music.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:

Any offers of ideas for the next round?

Islands? Lakes? Languages? Rivers?
Musical instruments?

Types of food?

Perhaps pick a number and explain why it is important or significant?

Pairs of words with some relationship to each other?

A round where we PM the QM our REAL answer, but get to post what we WANT others to THINK our answer is?

I think that South America has been under-represented in the entries so far.

Let me see... 18 contestents remaining, so we may need 17 more quiz topics... unless there is a draw... if we knock out 2 people per week it will take us into mid-December or so. So much for getting the Christmas shopping done early!

I'd probably better not suggest that we get be given the opportunity to vote someone out...

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Find a recorded song lyric that contains "green" in it, complete with website to back up recording and copyright date. Oldest copyright date is eliminated.

Or something therein?

[ 06. October 2005, 05:51: Message edited by: professorkirke ]

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could have a round to find the most mind-boggling bit of legal jargon. Or the least comprehensible set of instructions. That would be fun!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about tropical fish?

Prettiest/Ugliest/Wierdiest?

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the old 'guess what number I'm thinking of'. Doesn't require much in the way of preparation or marking [Big Grin]
Or how about a round where (say for example) you have to nominate a city (for some reason or other) and instead of the person with the greatest or least of the quality in question being eliminated, the person with the second greatest/least quality being eliminated. Just a bit of a twist on the usual formula.
(Does anyone understand what I mean? Reading ti abck I'm not sure that I do!)

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You seem like the kind of guy who likes a challenge, and I'm sure all the talk about your ability is just false modesty. [Cool]

I suggest heading to Germany, to the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the shadow of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain.

There, you could try the Kandahar Run, Germanys only downhill run with a World Cup license.
The Kandahar run starts form the Kreuzjoch mountain, 1719m up, goes for nearly 3.7 Km, and you end up nearly a kilometer nearer sea level.

(I hope I am not crediting you with more ability than you really have, please don't treat this as an invitation to do yourself an injury)

This site has a map. Kandahar is the black squiggly line which starts at the Kreuzjoch peak, and ends up at the car park.

According to that site,
quote:
the lower sections of the Kandahar can sometimes be icy moguls covered with skiers of all abilities.
so there's bound to be people you can show off your mogulling abilities to, and others who will impress you.

mind you, it doesn't say if these skiers are all moving, or in full use of all of their limbs...

[Eek!]

I've been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but I've never been to ski.
It is also very close to the Neuschwanstein castle, home of "mad" King Ludwig II of Bavaria and said to be the inspiration for Disney's Cinderella Castle

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Righty-ho. I knew there was a disadvantage in posting an entry late, especially on a topic about which I know nothing. Nonetheless, my research leads me to believe that.

(i) You should go to Bulgaria. The mountains of Bulgaria are the New Alps. You could be a trend setter...
(ii) I think you should go to the Pamporovo Resort because it sounds nice and had an interesting climate. The Rhodopi mountain, in which the resort is located, is the mountain of the mythical singer Orpheus. So as well as getting to ski, you would get a bit of culture too. There are a variety of runs of different difficulties if you decide that I have over/underestimated you.
(iii) As it's been a while, I suggest that you start with the Snejanka-1 run. It starts on the top of the Snejanka peak of the Rhodopi mountain.

Have fun [Smile]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on the number of people suggesting ideas for the next round I say make the next round suggesting ideas for the next round. The advantages would be a quick round (or is this a disadvantage?) and great ideas for the next several rounds.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O.K. Analysis starting soon on the Mad Tour site if you want to follow it in Real Time.

All the competitors have posted so I am afraid I have to play "Mr. Evil" and knock one of you out on my whim.

Whoever loses is the most unlucky person so far in this particular Knockout Quiz. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
O.K. Analysis starting soon on the Mad Tour site if you want to follow it in Real Time.

Here, to be exact.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Based on the number of people suggesting ideas for the next round I say make the next round suggesting ideas for the next round. The advantages would be a quick round (or is this a disadvantage?) and great ideas for the next several rounds.

And, on the grounds that if this ides was adopted, your idea must mave been pretty good, presumably granting you immunity. Nice suggestion...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More ideas:

Stars: Whoever names the brightest / furthest from Sun / most average in some respect is eliminated
Gemstones: Rarest / most expensive (could also do most expensive substances in general)
Literature: Authors, most books published (fewest gets eliminated)
Politics / People: People you'd least like to have dinner with
Insults: Worst / most amusing

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

Oh dear! I'm on the danger list for recommending Scotland and trusting SCZ!

How can anyone be on a danger list for recommending the most beautiful country on Earth, and taking advice from a really keen skier?

And I found you a place with Real Ale!!!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, and I'm on the danger list for selecting a run that's too difficult.

Even though it has a nice easy family version as well...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

And as I post, the Danger List is revised, and I'm no longer on it!

Seriously guys, anyone else reading this should really go to the Mad Tour site - this is quite fun [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's a round with an enforced delay (because Quizmaster wants to try ourt this thing called "getting a life" for a few days); we could try a currency round. For instance, everyone has 100 pounds/dollars or whatever to spend and has to 'buy' a currency (or basket of the stuff) by a cut-off date. Quizmaster goes on holiday. When he gets back, the currency is turned back into pounds/dollars/whatever and the person with the greatest gain or greatest loss or the person with nearest his own money back gets eliminated. (For simplicity, assume no handling fees - or set fees at the start of the round.)

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In case the 'posting suggestings of the next round' is another way of eliminating people, I shall make a suggestion before it's too late. How about:

Oldest built things in the world (what am I saying - I know nothing about history [Paranoid] )
Unusual Libraries/Academic institutes
Guessing QM's favourite biscuits and whether he takes sugar...

[ 06. October 2005, 21:48: Message edited by: Hazey Jane ]

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

YESSSS!

I made it!!! [Yipee]

Sorry, Pants!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

How about Battleships?

QM sets out a normal Battleships board. We each make one guess (B6, for example). Whichever of us is furthest from a ship is knocked out.

Quick, and dead easy to judge [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

The most unlucky person in the competition:
Pants

QUALIFIERS:
All the Others

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND ELEVEN: ADDITION

Think about this one very carefully before you post, or alternatively get in quick before the others.

You are required to do two things.

1) P.M. me a number between 1 and 1000.

2) Post on the thread the number you think all of the numbers P.M.d will add up to.

The person to be eliminated will be the person furthest from the total of the numbers P.M.d

(Thanks for the idea)

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
How about Battleships?

QM sets out a normal Battleships board. We each make one guess (B6, for example). Whichever of us is furthest from a ship is knocked out.

Quick, and dead easy to judge [Big Grin]

I love this idea [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
ROUND ELEVEN: ADDITION

Think about this one very carefully before you post, or alternatively get in quick before the others.

You are required to do two things.

1) P.M. me a number between 1 and 1000.

2) Post on the thread the number you think all of the numbers P.M.d will add up to.

The person to be eliminated will be the person furthest from the total of the numbers P.M.d

(Thanks for the idea)

Do you mean what they will add up to the at time we PM you, or at the end of the round?
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many people are left in the competition?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

I predict they will add up to 9000.

But what do I know - I was nearly knocked out last round!

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take the middle ground to start.

[ETA:]
Oops! Moth beat me to it while I was waiting for flood control. (Great minds think alike!)

I'll take 8888 then... a nice round number.

[ 06. October 2005, 22:05: Message edited by: Carex ]

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
How many people are left in the competition?

Auntie Doris x

I made it 17.

(Honestly, this flood control is maddening!)

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are 17 people left.

I'll make a stab at 8500.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are 17 left in the competition.

I think the lowest number the addition of 17 entrants could total is 17 (if everyone picks 1). The highest could be 17,000. However, we need to know if the also rans are going to be counted in this one QuizMaaster, as they could really warp the averages.

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

And now that should make it easy for everyone else to avoid being at one extreme or the other...

[ 06. October 2005, 22:08: Message edited by: Carex ]

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

My number is 9642

oooooo the tension!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

8750. Right in between two other posters, so should keep me safe in this round [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Actually, Marvin, the average of the two most extreme posts (8500 and 9642) is 9071. So that's what I shall go for.

Auntie Doris, dear, are you going for the Brinksmanship award?

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

It would appear that way [Biased] . I blame it on my cold... I am not thinking straight.

Auntie Doris

[ 06. October 2005, 22:26: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

I am going to choose 8,777 as the averaged number the PM'd numbers will add up to.

I have PM'd my number already. [Big Grin]

[ 06. October 2005, 22:41: Message edited by: Nutmeg ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Average doesn't matter in this round, guys. It's the total of the PM'd numbers that determines the winner.

And if you make sure there's someone with a higher number and someone with a lower number than you, you can't possibly be the furthest away from that total [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

I know that - I was just pointing out that your assertion that your entry was right in between the extreme posters was, in fact, wrong. [Razz]

[ETA - but looking back I guess you might have constructed your post while Auntie Doris posted hers. So I'll let you off. [Biased] ]

[ 06. October 2005, 22:56: Message edited by: Hazey Jane ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016