homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
B2

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
B 7

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the first three shots only one Also-Ran has been blown to pieces. You can still post if only to scare one of the competitors. The other two shots landed harmlessly.

You must take a shot to continue in the competition. If any of you fail to post a shot then you and not the ships which have been blown up will be excluded from the competition.

FIRE! [Mad]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So people could just fire at the same squares already fired upon? Just to make it look like they were playing?

[Biased]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
H8 (an appropriately-named square for a battle).

Chorister prepares 'tig-ointment' and bandages for any casualties.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A1

For the person who thought they could get away with it. (You think like me.)

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I drop a nuclear device with a five square blast radius into E5.
Not that I'm bitter about losing of course...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
A1

Well there was a honking great clue on the Madtour site but I did wonder whether it was bluff and double-bluff and all that..... [Cool]

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
A1

Well there was a honking great clue on the Madtour site but I did wonder whether it was bluff and double-bluff and all that..... [Cool]
Maybe just brinkmanship, but I thougth Quizmaster was already an 'also ran'. [Confused]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I shall try to cause an explosion (appropriately enough) with

C4

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C7

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G8

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
G8

And I never pegged you for the revolutionary type comrade Smudgie [Biased] Gunning for the G8... A brave move in anyones book.

Up the revolution. Workers unite.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Actually, the Water G8 affair. Smudgie must have inside knowledge..... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, still floating. I'll fire B4 anyone tries to hit me.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall aim for D3

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger] [Devil] [Snigger]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
F2

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C3

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's just hope Quizzy's guns have been well and truly disabled. He knows where we all are [Ultra confused] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
B-5
Now you have to decide if I am one of the four also rans. I could have just destroyed someone or protected them. [Two face]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
... I will only target the other Also-Rans if I deem it necessary to save a competitor.

How can a competitor be "saved" if someone has legitimately hit them ?
Does it make a difference if it is an also-ran that hits a competitor ?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Ah - have just found this, and worked it out.
quote:

SPECIAL RULE:

I will allow Also-Rans to take a pot-shot at the competitors. The pot-shot will only count if the square that the Also-Ran selected has not been blown to bits.

so if an also ran manages to hit a competitor, QM may choose to hit that also-ran to save the competitor. I'm guessing that if a competitor hits a fellow competitor, that's tuff.

[ 10. October 2005, 11:28: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E3

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G1

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly C5 is the best choice under the circumstances.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Right. Having done a plot of where everyone's shots are landing, the vast majority appear to be towards the left side of the board (9 of 15 shots in columns A-C [Eek!] ).

The remaining six shots are in two clusters. three are in the extreme bottom-right corner (G8, H6 and H8) with the other three in a diagonal line from E3 to G1.

Column D hasn't even been scratched yet for some reason. Also, apart from the three hits in the bottom-right corner, the whole area from D4 down and across hasn't been touched.

I don't know what this says about our contestants. Probably that they bore easily while counting or going through the alphabet (thus pick low letters/numbers), and have a pathological fear of the letter "D" [Biased] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Marvin, do you still have a job?

--------------------
My allotment blog

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D5 [Biased]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:

Why yes. Bit slow at the moment though [Biased] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Why yes. Bit slow at the moment though [Biased] ...
Never have guessed [Smile] I can't complain - I'm getting paid for supervising adults learn from a web based program. I just sit and get mored and, supposedly, mark any work I have got...

--------------------
My allotment blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
I just sit and get mored...

what, they look at what you are doing and shout
"More ! [Overused] More !" ?

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ready, aim... F6. Sorry if I hit anyone.

Hen

(yes, worst war-captain ever, I know. But hey, I feel bad for pelting people with explosives)

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Right. Having done a plot of where everyone's shots are landing, the vast majority appear to be towards the left side of the board (9 of 15 shots in columns A-C [Eek!] ).

The remaining six shots are in two clusters. three are in the extreme bottom-right corner (G8, H6 and H8) with the other three in a diagonal line from E3 to G1.

Column D hasn't even been scratched yet for some reason. Also, apart from the three hits in the bottom-right corner, the whole area from D4 down and across hasn't been touched.

I don't know what this says about our contestants. Probably that they bore easily while counting or going through the alphabet (thus pick low letters/numbers), and have a pathological fear of the letter "D" [Biased] ...

And here's a (slightly skew-wiff) graphical representation of shots to date:

_ A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H
1 |X|_|_|_|_|_|X|_|
2 |_|X|_|_|_|X|_|_|
3 |_|_|X|X|X|_|_|_|
4 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
5 |_|X|X|X|X|_|_|_|
6 |_|_|_|_|_|X|_|X|
7 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
8 |_|_|_|_|_|_|X|X|

[BTW - Marvin, I'm afraid your D aversion theory was nullified by the fact that Papa Smurf posted D3 before you had declared it, sorry.]

Hazey (clearly procrastinating [Roll Eyes] )

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey Jane:

This is what code tags were made for...

code:
__ A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H
1 |X|_|_|_|_|_|X|_|
2 |_|X|_|_|_|X|_|_|
3 |_|_|X|X|X|_|_|_|
4 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
5 |_|X|X|X|X|_|_|_|
6 |_|_|_|_|_|X|_|X|
7 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
8 |_|_|_|_|_|_|X|X|

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh. I'm impressed. [Smile] How'd you do that?
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

The code tags look like this:

[ code] and [/ code]

...but without the spaces. Put the text inside them [Smile]

ETA: and be very careful not to break the scroll lock when using them, as text within code tags doesn't wrap automatically [Biased]

[ 10. October 2005, 22:06: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if could have been fun, but it looks like two competitors are eliminated for failing to fire a shot.

Knocked Out:
Christianjimmy
Jedijudy

QUALIFIED
Ann
Auntie Doris
Carex
Chorister
Custard
Hazey Jane
Hennah
Marvin the Martian
Moth
MrSponge2U
Nutmeg
Papa Smurf
Professorkirke
Smudgie

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND THIRTEEN: SHIP THREADS

For this round you have to start a ship thread and PM me the name of the thread and on which board you started it. You are not allowed to add your own comments to it. You have to leave it up to others to comment or ignore your thread.

The person with the fewest replies (posts) on their thread after 3 days will be eliminated.

Remember that other people may read this thread.

You may start your thread at any time. Check back here on Thursday.

Also-Rans are welcome to join in.

[ 10. October 2005, 22:51: Message edited by: Quizmaster ]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK... posted in Puragtory.... 'Bad Language. Good, Bad or Indifferent?'

*sits and waits*

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Bugger.... didn't read the question properly..... maybe that should have been a PM.

Hey ho!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

hazey Jane
quote:

_ A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H
1 |X|_|_|_|_|_|X|_|
2 |_|X|_|_|_|X|_|_|
3 |_|_|X|X|X|_|_|_|
4 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
5 |_|X|X|X|X|_|_|_|
6 |_|_|_|_|_|X|_|X|
7 |_|X|X|_|_|_|_|_|
8 |_|_|_|_|_|_|X|X|

[BTW - Marvin, I'm afraid your D aversion theory was nullified by the fact that Papa Smurf posted D3 before you had declared it, sorry.]

That is one really smart graph. If there had been a shot in A8 it would have almost made a cross. As it was it appeared to have a Q for Quizmaster in the middle ( if you squint a little). Aren't we smart? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Quizzies,

You may notice my posts on your threads. [Snigger]
I am not picking favourites. I am merely living up to my sig. [Big Grin] I wish no malice to anyone.
If you disagrre with what I say on your thread, please post yuor reply to me there. [Razz]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Dear Quizzies,

If you disagrre with what I say on your thread, please post yuor reply to me there. [Razz]

Bloody hell, Too busy cackling to spell check. What a loser, sorry.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well if could have been fun, but it looks like two competitors are eliminated for failing to fire a shot.

Phew. And I'd been hit as well...

--------------------
blog

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Since we're being nice to Quizmaster, it might be a good idea to include a link to the thread in question in your PM...

Oh, does it count if the thread gets moved?

--------------------
blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:

If you disagree with what I say on your thread, please post your reply to me there. [Razz]

sorry, but according to QM, we're not allowed to post on the threads we create (apart from the OP, obviously)

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
quote:

If you disagree with what I say on your thread, please post your reply to me there. [Razz]

sorry, but according to QM, we're not allowed to post on the threads we create (apart from the OP, obviously)
Hmm.. methinks that may have been the whole point. That in posting a reply on your own thread would lead to your instant disqualification. Yes? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

exactly, so in pointing this out to everyone, I will hopefully help them avoid his trap, and in a fit of gratitude, everyone will post on my (not yet started) thread.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
For this round you have to start a ship thread and PM me the name of the thread and on which board you started it. You are not allowed to add your own comments to it. You have to leave it up to others to comment or ignore your thread.

Hmm. That's pushing the boundaries of trolling, isn't it? [Razz]

I'm sure the implied meaning is that we're not to continually post on it to up the post count, but we're OK to answer any direct questions from others...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016