homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
If there had been a shot in A8 it would have almost made a cross.

Yes, but it would have sunk my ship.

Did nobody notice how my analysis almost seemed designed to draw any future shots away from the first three columns? And better yet, that it succeeded by making sharkshooter post in col. D [Big Grin]

I can be a devious sod sometimes [Snigger]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I'm sure the implied meaning is that we're not to continually post on it to up the post count, but we're OK to answer any direct questions from others...

you could always answer that person directly by PM, and they could then say "xyz has PM'd me with an answer to that"

you could probably go even further and buddy-up with someone so that each person acts as a mouthpiece for the other on your relevant threads, ensuring you both stay in the competition.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
Well if could have been fun, but it looks like two competitors are eliminated for failing to fire a shot.

Knocked Out:
Christianjimmy
Jedijudy

Bah. I miss one day, and I'm knocked out. Bah. To be fair, my ship had been hit anyway I think, but still, it's just not right, punishing the pacifists among us who, for moral reasons, couldnt bring ourselves to fire on our fellow humans.
Or who forgot to post yesterday.

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin the Martian wrote

quote:
I can be a devious sod sometimes

I was trying to be devious. I chose B 6 as my square, and then fired on B 7. I thought everyone would fire in other parts of the board away from me. [Razz]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...must not abuse hosting powers on threads in Hell...

[Snigger]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Snigger]

However, this also ran is perfectly willing to abuse his powers in The Circus...

Anyone fancy a game of WA or ES?

[ 11. October 2005, 11:59: Message edited by: Tom Day ]

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I am resigned to defeat if everyone else posts a thread.

Serves me right for actually posting something I want to read rather than a pile of populist crap [Roll Eyes] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... And better yet, that it succeeded by making sharkshooter post in col. D [Big Grin]

But then, since I have already been blown to bits (rather early, I might add), I was actually protecting the person, if any, in the square I fired upon. For my shot wouldn't have counted, and it was unlikely anyone would have duplicated it.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:
[Snigger]

However, this also ran is perfectly willing to abuse his powers in The Circus...

You'll note I didn't inflict WA upon you, Tom dear. And I didn't go for ES either, as I couldn't bear to start an ES thread and not be allowed to post on it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:
[Snigger]

You'll note I didn't inflict WA upon you, Tom dear. And I didn't go for ES either, as I couldn't bear to start an ES thread and not be allowed to post on it [Big Grin]
As an also ran, I might start it and see if I can win!

--------------------
My allotment blog

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I am off in a couple minutes on a business trip, returning Saturday evening, with limited or no access until I get back. So, have fun and be good.

Oh, and I don't what to hear about it. Really, I don't.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last time somebody started a thread like yours, Sharkshooter, the boards closed for two weeks. Is this an omen? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I strongly suspect I'm going out. I've only had one reply on a thread which was supposed to spark debate, and that one suggested that the Hosts link to previous threads touching on the subject.

Ah well, it's been nice while it lasted.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, assuming I've guessed correctly regarding which threads people have entered, the ratings so far are:
code:
Ann                2
Auntie Doris 50
Carex Not Yet Entered
Chorister 3
Custard 39
Hazey Jane 1
Hennah 8
Marvin the Martian 14
Moth Not Yet Entered
MrSponge2U 15
Nutmeg 94
Papa Smurf 43
Professorkirke 50
Smudgie 107

Hazey (demonstrating her new 'coding' skills [Smile] )
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impressive work, Hazey.

I've babbled a bit on your thread. Must learn to sleep before posting (not during!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Thank you. I shall investigate yours in due course. But it doesn't exactly look as though you need much help!
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curses! Can't resist a good round of Mornington Crescent... and just realised why it's suddenly appeared. Damn and blast.

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
quote:
Well if could have been fun, but it looks like two competitors are eliminated for failing to fire a shot.

Knocked Out:
Christianjimmy
Jedijudy

Bah. I miss one day, and I'm knocked out. Bah. To be fair, my ship had been hit anyway I think, but still, it's just not right, punishing the pacifists among us who, for moral reasons, couldnt bring ourselves to fire on our fellow humans.
Or who forgot to post yesterday.

And my computer blew up!!! [Waterworks]

Had to buy a new one. [Waterworks]

I take comfort in knowing that I (and Christianjimmy) kept some of our dear Shipmates safe for this next round of the KOQ.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
The person with the fewest replies (posts) on their thread after 3 days will be eliminated.

I can see how that would appeal as a marking system.

[Creep mode]But Quizmaster, dear, would it not be a more satisfying challenge for your great intellect to try to award/deduct points for other aspects too. For example, if a thread gets moved or closed (as I suspect mine will), enrages a host, gets cited in another thread, or marks for originality vs a reharsh of an old thread? What about bonus points for courageous entries (if my understanding is right, one contestant has opted to go for Ecclesiantics as her board of choice. That's got to be tougher than The Circus.)

Go on. You know you want to [Biased]
[/Creep Mode]

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jedijudy wrote

quote:
And my computer blew up!!!

Had to buy a new one.

I missed you on the Cluedo thread and wondered what had happened...there is still time to wrap that one up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey Jane:
code:
Ann                2
Auntie Doris 50
Carex Not Yet Entered
Chorister 3
Custard 39
Hazey Jane 1
Hennah 8
Marvin the Martian 14
Moth Not Yet Entered
MrSponge2U 15
Nutmeg 94
Papa Smurf 43
Professorkirke 50
Smudgie 107

I'm not losing? [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Cool]

quote:
Hazey (demonstrating her new 'coding' skills [Smile] )
The Force is with you, young padawan...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've posted on yours, please post on mine. If you can find it.

(Chorister goes off in search of Smudgie's - that's a pretty impressive post count by anyone's standard [Overused] )

Quizmaster - does 'not commenting on your own thread' include not correcting your own posts?

[ 11. October 2005, 22:33: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curses, Foiled by a smurf and a penguin.
The ignomy.

Actually, given their gamesmanship, I'm not surprised.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey Jane:
What about bonus points for courageous entries (if my understanding is right, one contestant has opted to go for Ecclesiantics as her board of choice. That's got to be tougher than The Circus.)

[/Creep Mode]

I don't know. Ecclesiantics is quite the hotbed of discussion! I'd say if someone were to have started their thread in Kerygmania, THAT would be quite worthy of the Brinksmanship award! (Or a close second to Marvin and his All Saints post...)

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Anyway, not all threads in the Circus go well. Do I smell a plot [Paranoid]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

No, that's just Tom Day's feet [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Curses, Foiled by a smurf and a penguin.
The ignomy.
Actually, given their gamesmanship, I'm not surprised.

I'm sure you mean sportsmasnship, don't you ? [Razz]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]
Hey, I've said it before.
English is my second language.

I just don't have a first...

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
No, that's just Tom Day's feet [Big Grin]

Hey, I want you to know that I washed them recently. Only 3 weeks ago I sat and scrubbed them. They don't smell. Ask my wife.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Typically, the other thread I started (the one that I didn't PM Quizmaster about), is growing like topsy. Wouldn't you just know it! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which one do I need to post on, Chorister? I might have posted on the wrong one, meaning to be nice!

[ 12. October 2005, 18:13: Message edited by: Moth ]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It did occur to me shortly after PMing Quizmaster that it would have been wiser to start half a dozen very different threads, then see which was going best...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I'm just surprised Chorister didn't start ES - after all, it's her baby! And I'd have been posting on there like a Trojan if she had [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Smudgie, you can always go and post on mine, like a Trojan (or even a Greek for that matter [Big Grin] ).

All contributions gratefully received! Some of us are still only just in double figures!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
I'm just surprised Chorister didn't start ES - after all, it's her baby! And I'd have been posting on there like a Trojan if she had [Big Grin]

He beat me to it. [Waterworks]

Perhaps I should have done WA instead [Snigger]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Well, look at this. How many bonus points do you get for having your thread linked to on the main page?
I'm very impressed.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Well, look at this. How many bonus points do you get for having your thread linked to on the main page?
I'm very impressed.

Damn. Can't say I expected that.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Wow. I think you just won this round...

In other news, I wanna post on my thread [Waterworks] - it's really interesting and I want to make more comments...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Moth, your wish is my command.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wow. I think you just won this round...

In other news, I wanna post on my thread [Waterworks] - it's really interesting and I want to make more comments...

You can after the next round starts tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:

And nothing for me [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
My allotment blog

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Pah, I'll have you know I've been posting industriously on there for you, Tom, out of the kindness of my heart. You look see. I'm little miss helpful, I am.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Current state of play (AFAIK):

code:
Ann                   8
Auntie Doris 62
Carex Not Yet Entered
Chorister 13
Custard 68
Hazey Jane 25
Hennah 21
Marvin the Martian 27
Moth 32
MrSponge2U 20
Nutmeg 156
Papa Smurf 68
Professorkirke 70
Smudgie 252

I'm guessing that either
(i) Carex wants out of the game
or
(ii) is altruistically sacrificing his/herself by not posting
or
(iii) has the Mother of all Threads still hidden up his/her sleeve [Two face]

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

It's thursday here. Can I post on my own thread yet?

I wish I knew how to play Mornington Crescent. Is there anywhere I can get instructions?

We had some great threads out of this, and I think Quizmaster had a good break. [Razz]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

carex, you haven't misread the rules have you? You realise it's the person with the fewest posts on their thread that's out of the game, surely?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
I wish I knew how to play Mornington Crescent. Is there anywhere I can get instructions?

I could of course explain it perfectly. But since a game is in progress, it might prejudice the chances of the Bakerloo liners...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Nutmeg, it took me a while to fathom out the rules, but if you want some help you could do worse than to look at this website .

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wanna post on my thread

Go ahead and post on it.
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
I wanna post on my thread

Go ahead and post on it.
D'oh. [brick wall]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

quote:
Nutmeg, it took me a while to fathom out the rules, but if you want some help you could do worse than to look at this website .

That was a tremendously helpful link, Smudgie! To think, I never understood the game before! Are you often this helpful?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016