homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was damn funny when it first came out, and I see no reason to change my mind now...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this company's adverts are pretty good. I did consider posting the 'Hate Something, Change Something' one, which I'm very fond of (although after humming it for a few days the sanity does go a little), but I thought the 'Cog' advert had wider appeal.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my contribution:

funny cats.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know y'all be so surprised!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of the best shows around at the moment on GB TV [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this was a hilarious trailer.

The Dubya movie - Starring Don Knotts!

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My choice was a foregone conclusion.
It's very short, so should be seen in conjunction with the second one which is the sequel. (The Monty Python sketch is rather witty too, in a cruel sort of way, but not actually a video clip)

See here, and click on the penguin

(again, not a video clip, but a bit of penguin fun that the site linked to... You can push penguin too far, you know. )

[ 15. October 2005, 07:20: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bush and Blair duet has me in sticjes every single time I watch it. I love it.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
I nearly posted this last round, but figured you did not need a video as well. It is an Australian Beer Ad. A great big Ad. It's kind of catchy, and nice and short. [Big Grin]

That's good. Very good.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can a definition of 'video' include animation, as in moving pictures, or does it have to be live action?

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Special Ruling for Hennah: Animation is OK. [Smile]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I know y'all be so surprised!!

[Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Disappointed] [Devil] [Cool]

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I get, Judy, is an animation of snow falling, snow on snow, snow on snow on snow.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo, good. In that case, I submit this flash animation because it's just so darn clever (both the graphics and the original song!)

Hen

--------------------

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
All I get, Judy, is an animation of snow falling, snow on snow, snow on snow on snow.

I love the Tuba player. (Smudgie - it is an animation of darth vader conducting the Storm Trooper orchestra)

--------------------
My allotment blog

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom given your entry in the sound files I am not surprised you like my beer ad. As far as Australian beer ads go it is pretty sophisticated. [Biased]

I liked JediJudy's entry too [Big Grin] . Although they have all been pretty good. It really is going to be hard to rate them in best to worst. [Biased] I think there was one that I could not bring up on my system as I did not have a plug in player, but I am downloading it now. ( It was chorister's).

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fair few of these sites seem only to work in Internet Explorer or with plug-ins not everybody has.

--------------------
blog

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Yes, I still can't see anything of Darth Vadar, unless he's covered in a white sheet. [Frown]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Judy's is a Quicktime movie, which takes a while to load on my connection and just gives a white screen with no real indication that it's doing anything until it has loaded. After that, it's good fun...

--------------------
blog

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Sorry everyone. We must all be behind the times.

I had to get "extra bits" downloaded for all three of Quicktime, Real Player and Windows Media Player, but I have at least seen all the clips now.

Sunday evening is the deadline for entries. Will we need a vote or will somebody forget to post?

[Yipee] roll on Sunday.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I prepared a meal, ate it, and tidied the dishes... all while JediJudy's clip was loading on our fastest computer.

But I did finally get to see it: aren't those supposed to be baritones rather than tubas?

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Aha... they say patience is it's own reward. I clicked on JJ's link and then went and practised the hymns for tomorrow's service. The result? I can now play the hymns perfectly. Apparently my computer needs something it doesn't have, and apparently there's nowhere I can get it. So when it had finally loaded the Quicktime screening, I was able to watch the video clip play right the way through........ just a shame it was without sound or vision. [Frown]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown] Smudgie, I'm so sorry you can't see (or hear) it. It's such a good combination of two parts of my life! [Two face]

Carex, I think those are supposed to be tubas. They look a bit big for bari-horns. But then, the musicians might be a little short for stormtroopers. [Biased]

I am so pleased that you have enjoyed my little contribution...because I've certainly had a ball looking at everyone else's.

Even D-U's bf requested the Beer, the Mastercard and the car's revenge videos to be e-mailed to his house so he can laugh and enjoy in the comfort of his own home.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, my entry is strictly For the Birds!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Knocked out for missing a video:
Carex
Papa Smurf

QUALIFIED:
Auntie Doris
Chorister
Custard
Hazey Jane
Hennah
Marvin the Martian
Moth
MrSponge2U
Nutmeg
Smudgie

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh... the final ten [Big Grin]
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND SIXTEEN: SHARE DEALING

Always a popular round and once again I have found a free site that allows us to play at share trading. The site itself is called Bullbearings and can be found HERE.

You have to register in your ship name or near equivalent if your name has been taken and join the group called KOQ2005. The password to sign up is "circus" and once signed up you can start your share trades or simply hang on to the cash that you start with.

The person or persons at the bottom of the table on Friday night will be eliminated. This gives me a chance to catch up and you a chance to practice life as a day trader.

If any competitor fails to successfully join the group KOQ2005 then they will be eliminated and the bottom of the table will remain in contention.

Good luck y'all! [Biased]

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
< eyeing hazey Jane sideways>

thinks " she's going to be hard to beat". [Paranoid] How can I sabotage her? [Snigger]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

[Eek!]

What did I do?! Please don't gang up on me!

[Nutmeg, I really wouldn't worry - I know diddly squat about shares. Mind you, there is always beginner's luck [Biased] ]

[ 16. October 2005, 22:32: Message edited by: Hazey Jane ]

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

You didn't do anything, your post was there that's all. [Biased]

Join the share site, it is the "join a league" section you need to look at to find us. It gives an alphabetical listing so look under K and you will find us. So far there are three of us there including Quizmaster. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*wails* I don't know what I am doing.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

I am still trying to figure out if these are real stocks we are dealing with? If so anyone in the UK might be able to help.

I am currently browsing through the research section. [Ultra confused]

I need coffee..

Hazey Jane did you get in?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, let's do this. [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

Market opens at 8 am UK time... which is a while off isn't it?

--------------------

Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

Well Marvin and I seem to be the only ones trading so far. I have absolutely fluked it. I read in the market research section that GCAP were a takeover target. As I am not used to your money I bought lots more than I ever Intended to, like 16,000 pounds worth. As it went up 11% this was a fortunate mistake. I sold them again an hour later, which turns out to be a wise move. I also bought gooch and Housego, and have lost money on them, and Highgate House. With Highgate house I made another mistake with your funny money and have not bought enough of them.

I have tried to trade before, I am currently playing on the ASX share trading game. I am not doing at all well there. [Frown]

For those wanting to try trading. I would suggest reading the research columns. They seem to be saying that there is another storm off the gulf of Mexico, so the oil and gas stocks will likely go up. I am not very familar with UK stocks, but they seemed to be saying try BP or Shell. I notice the fatprophets report is tipping Dragon Oil and it has gone backwards today. [Disappointed]

To place a trade, go to the "trading portfolios" section on your left margin. Click share portfolios, and you will get a button with the option to place a trade. You will need to know the code and think about quantity. I got confused over the prices being quoted in pence. The highgate house shares I bought were at 1.8 pence when I bought them, but I thought it was 1.8 pounds. So I bought 6,000 of them, and that only came to 118 pounds, which is too small a trade size to cover the cost of commission etc. Try to go for trades around 5,000 pounds. You lose less money on brokerage, and don't have to have your stock price go up as much to make money.

If only it were real money. [Biased]

You could all sit on your money. The way I usually go I will be going backwards by the end of the week anyway. [Razz]

--------------------

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone going to try for ethical investments?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now none of you need to worry about coming in last. [Biased]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

What did you do sharkshooter? [Ultra confused]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What did you do sharkshooter? [Ultra confused]

Joined. [Big Grin]

I took the "all your eggs in the same basket" approach. [Eek!]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

I'm using this at school with my Y11 business studies groups. They love it and are making money.

I'm not...

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Well, I'm registered. Have a feeling that I'm going to play myself out of the competition through incompetance though. [Frown]
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
You could all sit on your money.

Just sitting on it will probably guarantee survival. But where's the fun in that?

I've just bought another £9K worth of shares, after seeing my Barclays ones go slightly down yesterday.

I am hopeful. Not very hopeful, of course...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
You could all sit on your money.

Just sitting on it will probably guarantee survival. But where's the fun in that?

Well, I'm in it for fun, but I thought the rest of you actually wanted to win. Winning means surviving (not coming last), at this point in the game.

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

Ok, I signed up... I know diddly squat about stock/shares/markets generally so going for whichever ones sounded like fun! Market is currently closed so awaiting re-opening tomorrow...

Hen

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

As I remember, stock markets are essentially random, especially over short timescales. So in several well-publicised cases, small children have beaten experienced traders.

Since the market is not heading up especially at the moment, and since several people have bought shares, it seems logical that some of those who have bought shares will gain, and some will lose.

Since the only object of this round is not to come bottom, not buying anything seems sensible, especially since I don't have much free time at the moment.

I might, of course, reconsider my position...

--------------------
blog

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, I have joined. I don't know if I'll have time to trade, so I may just sit on the money. IIRC, that worked a treat last time we did this in a quiz!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

It's a shame that trading isn't mandatory. I'm having a go even though I'm not sure what I'm doing cos it seems a bit pointless to participate in this quiz and just sit there doing nothing. But the chances are I'll probably go out for coming lower than those who don't bother trading.

Hey ho.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I too have a bit on my mind and time this coming week so I'll almost certainly dig a hole and bury my money in it for safe keeping.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Thus endeth the first day ...

quote:

Pos Trader Total
1 nutmeg £101,004
2 Auntie Doris £100,000
2= Custard. £100,000
2= Hennah £100,000
2= Moth £100,000
2= Quizmaster £100,000
2= Smudgie £100,000
8 Marvin the Martian £99,974
9 Hazey Jane £99,847
10 sharkshooter £92,860

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Two of our crew have yet to join, but they have until FRIDAY. Joining the League is essential for qualification. If everyone signs up then he/she/they who finish last of the competitors will be eliminated from the contest.

Sharkshooter - Were you not last the last time we did this? [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016