homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a member of my family was involved in the Tall Ships, I can remember spending a couple of summer holidays sitting in our lounge with masses of ropes littering the room as we engaged in the manufacture of baggywrinkle

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Could the dear chalenge setters, please post the answers to the satisfy us whose curiosity was less than our desire to google for hours.
Hey you never know, you might just end up in a sermon for it.

The answers that I sent to QM were as follows:

1) (a) They are all caused by having an incorrect number of a particular chromosome. (b) The odd one out is Turner's - all the other syndromes are caused by an extra copy of a particular chromosome ('trisomy'), whereas Turner's is caused by lacking one of the two copies of the X chromosome normally found in females ('monosomy').

2) Edward's Syndrome is caused by possessing three copies of Chromosome 18 (Trisomy 18)
Turner's Syndrome is found in females who lack one of the normal copies of the X chromosome (Monosomy X, or 'XO')
Patau Syndrome is caused by possessing three copies of Chromosome 13 (Trisomy 13)
Klinefelter Syndrome is found in males, and is caused by possession of an extra copy of the X chromosome, in addition to the normal XY.

3) Some examples of the characteristics, and indeed the entire answer, can be found here, although this site is has perhaps got a little too much information to be clear. I quote it as you specified a page on which the answers could be found. There are, however, plenty of more 'accessible' sources of information, easily found by Google, for example:
http://www.turner-syndrome-us.org/resource/faq.html
http://www.trisomy.org/html/trisomy_18_facts.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic1745.htm
http://www.healthopedia.com/klinefelter-syndrome/

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the more obscure words I learnt on my rotational body dynamics course at university was the word Herpolhode.

If you have an ellipsoid rolling on a plane, the herpolhode is the path it follows on the plane.

In fact, it can be generalised to any irregular object by representing it as an ellipsoid with the same moments of inertia along its principal axes.

"Simple" link
More complex link, which explains it all... (warning - PDF lecture notes from Harvard - may cause brain to explode)

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Which common cooking ingredient is used in the process of making cocaine powder into crack cocaine?"

... and the answer is baking powder/soda. If you want links to a handy website here it is!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which musical artist, who was a member of a 1970s Contemporary Christian rock band, released a solo album in 1998 which had a title that was the name of a famous Hollywood movie star?
Terry Taylor was a founding member and lead singer of the band Daniel Amos, a popular Contemporary Christian rock band during and since the 1970s. As a solo artist in 1998, he realeased an album titled John Wayne

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankyou.

Bit of an interesting insight into your hobbies and character I suspect [Biased]

[ 14. November 2005, 05:16: Message edited by: Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's have your sermon Pure as Snow, then you can be one of the judges. [Two face]

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Osi-Chickasaw for The Great Eagle.

Quizmaster, aint no way I'm participating this round. I teach math so that I don't have to grade essay's.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we get to see these sermons?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't hold your breath waiting for my sermon, I think it highly unlikely that I'll manage to do this challenge this week, with Dad still in the nursing home. Seems a bit of a shame to have to default at this stage of the game - I've never made it this far in the knockout quiz before - but if you don't hear from me you'll know I'm having to allow real life to interfere.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though it seems like a fun challenge, if I manage to submit anything, it will be very rushed.

--------------------
blog

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto. Don't expect anything from me until the last minute.

Out of curiosity, are any of the remaining competitors clergy and thus at a possible advantage here?!

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Oooh no. Am science teacher. Am not clergy.

Yet.

PS - might be worth checking out people's rough doctrinal standpoint as gleaned from past posts...

--------------------
blog

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not clergy either. I have heard a lot of sermons, so I think I can cook up a reasonable facsimilie of one. However, despite my GLE upbringing, I will attempt to keep the "Amens" and "Hallelujahs" to a minimum. [Smile]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have quickly cobbled together my sermon so that I can be one of the judges. Are there any more to come?

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Sadly I think this is the point where I have to bow out gracefully. All that work for nothing, Quizzy... the round will be won by default. [Big Grin]
For me, I'm just happy that the reason I'm dropping out is because of good news - my services as post-operative-nursemaid are needed [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Sorry to hear the bad news Smudge, but glad to hear the good news. As always, life goes on ....

Sermons now appearing in the link following:

The Sermons

Take a look and make your minds up then we will move on.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

WITHOUT FURTHER SEREMONY:

Sermons completed - Qualified
Custard
Hazey Jane
MrSponge2U

Sorry to say farewell and look after your Dad to:

Smudgie
(Just outside the medal placings)

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

ROUND TWENTY THREE: ALSO RAN AROUND

In this round each and every Also Ran may pose one challenge to the remaining contestants. I will be posing my own challenge so there will be at least one. The challenges may be posted now or later but not after Wednesday 23rd November.

Contestants should reply to the posers and copy me. I will collect the results of the challenges from each of the posers. Posers please PM me.

All answers should be in by Saturday 27th November and I may need to use Sunday 28th to collate the results but we shall see.

Also Rans are free to take up the challenges set by any of our posers. Go for it all you Also Rans!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I would like each of the remaining contestants to write a sonnet in honour of the two other contestants.

(Also-rans entering this should choose two other also-rans to extol)

[ 18. November 2005, 21:54: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like the remaining contestants to invent a completely new (and clever) use for barbeque sauce...something that doesn't involve food.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allow me to sing the praises of all my wonderful fellow also-rans, and to especially call to everyone's attention Smudgie the kind, who has from the beginning given us a "subtle hint" and also rugasaw the bold, who has given us a new word..."Osi". [Overused]

I could go on, but don't want to embarrass y'all! [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not very new, although some would say very clever - especially for Jedijudy and to get your creative juices running. [Big Grin]

* NB overly-sensitive bosses may require the double click rule, so click on 'Hot dog accident' when you are ready to view. IMO the mana mana video is much more scary! [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

For sonnet-writing purposes, may I enquire as to the gender of my two fellow competitors? One doesn't like to assume anything.

[I am a girl BTW [Biased] ]

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

I'm a manly sponge, of course. As you can see on my TV show, I'm an adventurer, a man's man, a sponge's sponge. Don't pay attention to my sig, really, it's all lies. [Biased]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

I suspected as much. Just wanted to be sure. May the best Poriferum win [Razz]
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My challenge to each of the contestants and also-rans is to compose new (Ship of Fools) words to the tune of a famous song about a ship, eg. 'The big ship sails on the alley alley o', 'I am sailing', etc. If you can provide a link to the tune you have used, then even better.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Not very new, although some would say very clever - especially for Jedijudy and to get your creative juices running. [Big Grin]

* NB overly-sensitive bosses may require the double click rule, so click on 'Hot dog accident' when you are ready to view. IMO the mana mana video is much more scary! [Biased]

Then it's a good thing you didn't hear and see me singing along with "mana mana"!

The hotdog thing was truly interesting [Paranoid] Ah...gee. Thanks? (I laughed and played it twice so D-U could watch, too!)

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jedi Judy [Hot and Hormonal]

My challange. What is the next number in the Bodeen sequence.

1,11,21,1211,?

Hint: This is the Jethro Bodeen method of counting.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like contestents to compose a short song (using an existing tune) singing the praises of some common, ordinary household item that is rarely noticed, but which serves an important function. Such as a clothes peg, or the handle on a cupboard door.
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey Jane:
For sonnet-writing purposes, may I enquire as to the gender of my two fellow competitors? One doesn't like to assume anything.

You may enquire.

And if you did, I'd tell you that I'm male.

--------------------
blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You will probable be aware of the term "Googlewhack"
it is when you put 2 words (both of which should appear in the OED) into google, and only 1 result comes up.

I challenge each contestant to come up with 3 Googlewhacks, 1 when looking for websites, and 2 when looking for images.

Contestants should PM me their results showing which words were selected, as posting those words here would of course result in another website where they can be found, and then they'd no longer be googlewhacks.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

My Challenge to the three remaining contestants is to improve your performance in the share trading game. I shall award the points according to who improves most.

Current Standings:

1 Auntie Doris £100,000 £0 £100,000
1= Moth £100,000 £0 £100,000
1= Smudgie £100,000 £0 £100,000
4 MrSponge2u £94,004 £6,684 £100,688
5 Custard. £90,001 £9,881 £99,883
6 nutmeg £72,042 £28,260 £100,302
7 Marvin the Martian £65,977 £32,050 £98,027
8 DigoryKirke £64,084 £38,030 £102,114
9 Hazey Jane £63,910 £36,014 £99,924
10 Mrs Day £48,956 £51,990 £100,946
11 SOF's Papa Smurf £42,871 £47,839 £90,710
12 Mr Day £16,844 £69,276 £86,120
13 jedijudy £15,977 £81,290 £97,267
14 Quizmaster £762 £96,613 £97,375
15 sharkshooter £169 £89,198 £89,366
16 rugasaw £8 £104,190 £104,198
17 Hennah £0 £92,190 £92,191

Also Rans now have just about two more hours to post any challenge. After that we shall wait for the answers and results.

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Oh not that bloody thing again.

Starting to wish she hadn't got involved [Roll Eyes]

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just a further point to my googlewhack challenge.

Strictly speaking, it is only a googlewhack if Google can find a dictionary link to them.

You will be able to know this because on te results screen, your 2 words will be underlined, in the top right-hand corner (and clicking those words will link to a dictionary definition)

so far I've had 2 cases where 1 of the words wasn't underlined, but I'm being lenient at the moment. [Biased]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Google's dictionary is considerably smaller than the OED.

--------------------
blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

If I recognise the words, they count
If I don't recognise them, but can finda definition, they count.

If it seems you have made the word up, no dice....

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Must say, there are quite a few creative-type questions. All very stretching for a science teacher, a research student and a computer programmer...

Still, gives the rest of you an opportunity to laugh at us, so can't be bad!

--------------------
blog

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Well as far as the stock game went, we all dropped places:
code:
 1 DigoryKirke         £106,136  
2 rugasaw £104,834
3 nutmeg £100,582
4 Mrs Day £100,486
5 MrSponge2u £100,247
6 Auntie Doris £100,000
6= Moth £100,000
6= Smudgie £100,000
9 Custard. £99,883
10 Hazey Jane £99,603
11 Marvin the Martian £98,197
12 jedijudy £98,107
13 Quizmaster £96,997
14 Hennah £92,191
15 sharkshooter £89,199
16 SOF's Papa Smurf £89,079
17 Mr Day £85,892

A little more time on that one might have been helpful. Ah well.

Mr Quizmaster, we've been working very hard over the last few rounds, but it's been quite a while since we had any points...

jedijudy

# 333

I have had creative replies on my challenge. Perhaps some copyrights should be sought? [Biased]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I am going to have a difficult job with the sonnets - they're absolutely brilliant! I am so impressed. I've had four in total and little to choose between them. Congratulations, wordsmiths - the Bard has little on you!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I've had great fun reading - and singing - the entries to my challenge. I hope that soon they may be printed here for your delight and delectation. Meanwhile, sway along with me to the pleasures of the sailor song....

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Oh, how sad I am that my computer has no speakers and I have loaned my headphones to my father. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

So far only Custard has answered mine correctly. He has thus proven he is quite twisted.

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

Of course I'm quite twisted! [Biased] [Big Grin]

--------------------
blog

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

O.K. The challenges have been attempted.

Can you judges please PM me the results of your deliberations.

I can then determine the two finalists for the ultimate challenge.

Any discussions will take place on the Mad Tour site and an announcement should be available by tonight.

Well done all three of you. [Biased]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I will be saving my deliberating until my various dependants are all shovelled off to bed and shortly before I am. See you after tea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

While we wait I think the Sonnet entered by Chorister is worth an airing:

I think your rules mean that I have to copy you the sonnet I have entered for Smudgie's challenge. Although you might not thank me for it [Ultra confused] :

"in honour of the fact that Quizmaster and Tom Day enjoy the occasional pint [Biased] , here is my very free translation of 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?' Sonnet no. 18 by Will himself:

Shall I compare you to a brewer's dray?
You are more beery and intemperate:
Foul winds do shake the bedclothes where you lay,
When night time comes, you both stay out too late:
Sometimes too hot the vindaloo contains
And often is their green complexion brimmed;
And everywhere from chair to bed reclines,
Perchance that nature calls when you're unzipp'd;
But your infernal drunkenness is made,
The worst impression of the pair we knowest;
For to Nag's Head you staggered in and paid,
To vow to drink 'til closing time did boast;
So long as men can drink and cross-eyed be,
To stay upright, until you're ninety-three."

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The votes from the Isle of Wight judges have now been submitted to the umpire and I have run out of chocolate, so I think I shall now retire and see whether I can sleep with all the excitement of anticipation.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Marking now taking place.

Keep your eyes on things.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016