homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2005
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you guys SEE my Bumbershoot entry?

Man, I was so proud. What does it take to get noticed around here? [Disappointed]

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Langila.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Marvin's ancient entry, it is now safe for me to post my favourite volcano, Popocatépetl , Aztec for "smoking mountain", or Popo for short.

This site details its recent activity.

Why do I like it so much ? we use it as a vocal warm up when singing, combined with the phrase "copper-plated-kettle", so those Aztecs must have had really good lip control.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf: we use it as a vocal warm up when singing, combined with the phrase "copper-plated-kettle.
So that's how you Smurfs got your great singing voices!
[Overused] [Biased]

<ETD: "Where are you Smurf running from?", "From the lava that burnt my bum">

[ 13. September 2005, 15:05: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------

S'more
Apprentice
# 10166

- Posted      Profile for S'more   Email S'more       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I obviously need to practice putting in links, here is live footage of Kilauea and here is a cam with a daily update of the activity.

Oh please, oh please, oh please.

In case those don't work, here is another live action volcano:

[Axe murder]
[Mad]
^
^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^^

Posts: 19 | From: U. S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
Sakura-Jima, in Japan according to this page erupted 3/8/05 and according to halfway down this page errupted 2/9/05
Either way, this is my entry.
And in the intersts of being helpful to everyone else [Big Grin] who may be looking for volcanos, Iceland has a number of the active bad-boys...

oops. sorry, PATDYS, just noticed you posted exactly the same volcano [Hot and Hormonal]
I therefore put forward as my new entry this one
Grímsvötn volcano
Thank you for your time [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
Pants [Smile] I obviously have nothing better to do today than police this thread. I think S'more has already selected that one.

(or maybe I am just blatantly trying to get extra brownie points up because I goofed last round.)

Arse. That's cos his link didn't work!! [Biased] Although he has now relinked it properly and drawn a lovely picture, so I shall away to find another.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about this which shows you how vocanoes happen?

And this shows you how to make one.

Pacific Ocean: June 8, 2004 (day before my Birthday)

[piggin code]

[ 13. September 2005, 19:54: Message edited by: Pânts ]

--------------------

MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This pretty pic shows White Island Crater in New Zealand dated 13th Sept volcano

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Cleveland, Chuginadak Island, Alaska

Psst, rugasaw... it says "there was no evidence of eruptive activity at the volcano" for the Alaska one. Careful now!

-Digory

Febuary 2001
This is a better link to Mt. Cleveland's eruption history. By the way does erupting foam, bubbles, and candy count as a volcano?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ngauruhoe caught in the act!

Well, OK, but I've climbed it and peared down into the crater, so it seemed like a good choice. Actually it hasn't erupted since 1976.

Looks like Ruapehu right next door (which I've also climbed) is a bit more active at the moment, having erupted in 1996 according to the link above. But I'll leave that for someone else.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Well, OK, but I've climbed it and peared down into the crater

<Snippety Snip>

Looks like Ruapehu right next door (which I've also climbed)

[Overused]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall go for Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reventador, Ecuador.

First read as Rentador (as in Rent-A-Door), and thought someone had just picked up on an advertising opportunity. But hey, is erupting away. Get your exploding doors here. Or there, rather, seeing as it's in Ecuador. Goodness I waffle on! Jolly good.

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This link shows you what to do if you live near a volcano.

This one is about creating one in the comfort of your own home.

And here is a cake.

I'm surprised nobody has yet gone for Krakatoa which erupted famously in Auguist 1983 but is apparently still going (see subsequent volcanism, about three quarters of the way down the page). Perhaps you couldn't find it as it is, in fact, west of Java.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for Mount Veniaminof in Alaska. Last eruption: 2004.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

I'm surprised nobody has yet gone for Krakatoa which erupted famously in Auguist 1983 but is apparently still going (see subsequent volcanism, about three quarters of the way down the page). Perhaps you couldn't find it as it is, in fact, west of Java.

Bum. August 1883. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way does erupting foam, bubbles, and candy count as a volcano?

I believe it is a volcano, that erupted, as asked for in the Round 2 rules. Creativity has to count for something, right? [Big Grin]
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Ngauruhoe caught in the act!

Well, OK, but I've climbed it and peared down into the crater, so it seemed like a good choice. Actually it hasn't erupted since 1976.

Looks like Ruapehu right next door (which I've also climbed) is a bit more active at the moment, having erupted in 1996 according to the link above. But I'll leave that for someone else.

Admirable, I'm sure! But...

[oneupmanship] Have you descended into the very bowels of a volcano? Yes, my friends, this stalwart fellow defied the fates by climbing approximately 2,000ft down a lava tube into the base of Mount St. Helens (6 years before it erupted). Imagine, if you will, a cave with the appearance of a corrugated intestine, 20ft in diameter, descending at an angle of about 10 degrees. Lava tubes are created by lava traveling beneath the surface of another lava flow and then draining as the surrounding magma cools.

Ever downward we walked, the walls of the cave reflecting the dim yellow light of our flashlights. The stink of sulfur and urine stinging the nose, as we stepped over beer cans and Cheetos bags. Every step we progressed deeper and deeper into the beast as the air grew more hot and foul. Finally, the heat became so oppressive and the walls so close with claustrophobia, that we had to turn back.

When we escaped into daylight, fresh air never tasted so good.

I have walked in the bowels of the monster and lived to tell the tale. [Razz] [Cool]

[/oneupmanship]

[ 14. September 2005, 01:09: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
By the way does erupting foam, bubbles, and candy count as a volcano?

I believe it is a volcano, that erupted, as asked for in the Round 2 rules. Creativity has to count for something, right? [Big Grin]
Ah, but Quizmaster said:

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
we shall ask you to find a volcano that has erupted recently.

Qualification is dependent upon you choosing a volcano that has erupted more recently than the one chosen by just one other competitor.

Of course, if somebody forgets to post then you are through just by naming a volcano.

N.B. I need a link to the webpage that specifies the date of the last eruption of your chosen volcano.

So we have to find / choose / name the volcano, and provide a website which says when it erupted.

Now, if you were to get your beloved (o.n.o.) to build a simple volcano, then you were to find it, choose it and name it (presumably after our glorious Quizmaster), then I think you'd be safe.

Oh, and take some photos with the date on and post them on the web, then link to it.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by a random ancient preacher:
quote:
From Quizmaster:
find a volcano
choosing a volcano
naming a volcano

link to the webpage that specifies the date of the last eruption of your chosen volcano.

In fact, the wise quizmaster has provided us with a most excellent allegory of the Most Holy Trinity.

God the Father chooses us before the beginning of time.
God the Son, the Good Shepherd finds us and brings us home.
God the Holy Spirit causes us to be adopted as God's children, so welcoming us into his family and giving us a new name.

He then calls us to go out and make links between Christ and the world.

Praise be to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

--------------------
blog

Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall go for Erta Ale in Ethiopia, for no better reason than it sounds like a beer, and beer is a GOdd Thing. I shall use the usual site to prove it last erupted on February 1st 2005.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It really amuses me that people are still looking for ultra-recent volcanoes. Go nuts! Find some major eruption from Roman times! My brinksmanship has secured space in the next round for anyone in the game who actually reads this between now and the end of the round!

Marvin
Who is still confident that someone will forget to post...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It really amuses me that people are still looking for ultra-recent volcanoes. Go nuts! Find some major eruption from Roman times! My brinksmanship has secured space in the next round for anyone in the game who actually reads this between now and the end of the round!

True, however on a brinksmanship front, Quizmaster's entry last erupted over 300 million years before yours did.

--------------------
blog

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't noticed that. I'm not sure whether to thank him or curse him [Biased] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Santori. Atlantis circa 1500 BC
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't you mean Santorini, da Musicman?

I've been there! there's no middle to the island!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the fascinating things on Ruapehu was the snowbanks: in some areas they had holes in them, with a dark rock at the bottom of each. In other places they had pillars of snow sticking up, with a dark rock perched on top.

The difference, of course, was the type of rock. Heavy types of lava absorbed enough heat from the sun that they would melt down into the snow. Lighter types like pumice don't hold or conduct heat very well, so would sit on top of the snow and shade that under them from the sun, so it remained while the rest of the snowbank melted around it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

[oneupmanship] Have you descended into the very bowels of a volcano? Yes, my friends, this stalwart fellow defied the fates by climbing approximately 2,000ft down a lava tube into the base of Mount St. Helens (6 years before it erupted).
I have walked in the bowels of the monster and lived to tell the tale. [Razz] [Cool]

[/oneupmanship] [/QB]

For those who want to keep track of the current status of Mt. Saint Helens, whose steam and ash plumes are within view of several shipmates (and perhaps an inspiration to a particular host?)

Although it is currently active, it hasn't yet been selected for this competition, either.

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SECOND ROUND OF SUBJECTIVE JUDGEMENTS:

The numbers are PAGE, then scores for the following ORIGINALITY, being SMART, and being HELPFUL ... or P O S H for short.

COMPETITOR and EXPLANATION are blatantly obvious.

P O S H Competitor Explanation

4 0 -2 0 Sir Kevin For trying to limerick us to death
4 0 -1 0 Pants For stating what everyone else just thought
4 0 0 0 Tom Day We all guessed that
4 1 1 0 Smudgie Well Said
4 0 1 1 Hazey Jane Good advice
4 0 -1 0 Annie P For suggesting that Smudgie is not an angel
4 0 0 0 Smudgie I just need somewhere to stick it
4 0 0 1 Dolphy A pint of beer would help me greatly I am sure
4 1 0 1 R.D.Olivaw I love that placename and yes
4 0 -1 0 Pants I think Smudgie wins this time
4 0 1 0 Smudgie Smudgie wins this one
4 -1 0 0 Dolphy Christian YES, Victorian church NO
4 1 1 1 S'more I think you just did it again (don’t get cocky though)
4 2 0 0 Jedijudy My secret is out - Now get back to work JJ
4 0 0 2 Chorister Dead Giveaway but obviously needed
4 0 -1 0 S'more Having to amend an entry
4 1 1 1 Smudgie Perfect Post - Exactly what this game is about
4 1 0 0 Smudgie Nice Educational Game
4 0 -1 0 Dolphy For picking on my friend Smudgie
4 0 0 1 Welsh Dragon Good Analysis as always
4 0 1 0 Dolphy Wise words
4 0 -2 0 S'more Not knowing something whilst top of the table
4 0 -1 0 Welsh Dragon Pedantic (if valid) Clever Dick point deducted
4 1 -1 0 S'more Like the style, but you admit the error
4 0 0 1 Custard Valid analysis
4 0 -1 1 Welsh Dragon WD still in final round mode - Too early

5 0 1 0 Papa Smurf Anything banned in the USA has to be good
5 0 0 1 Marvin the Martian Helping newbies earns an H point
5 1 2 0 Christianjimmy Excellent use of the links
5 0 -1 0 Ann Who knows better than to post broken links
5 0 1 0 S'more For feeding chorister the opening
5 0 2 0 Chorister For cracking the joke
5 0 1 0 Chorister Bonus point for impressing S'more
5 0 1 0 Jonah the Whale For the opening gambit in Brinkmanship
5 2 0 0 Jedijudy For finding a chocolate pudding fruit
5 0 1 0 Moth For being the only person besides me who likes spinach
5 2 -1 -1 Sharkshooter For completely misrepresenting fruit and vegetables
5 0 -1 0 Hennah The Limericks have finished now dear
5 1 1 0 Urbanita I have always found the KOQ to be a fount of knowledge
5 0 -1 0 Footdoc I might not have noticed, you never know
5 1 1 0 Procrastinus Maybe we should dare people to 'Eat a tomato'
5 1 1 0 Gladly Bear For linking fruit to Christianity
5 0 -1 0 Jonah the Whale The city round was for practice as we waited for entries
5 0 0 1 Mavin the Martian What I just said
5 0 -1 0 Quizmaster For being indecisive
5 0 -1 0 Papio Papio, you have a problem
5 0 -1 1 Carex Good advice, but ME? Not spot something?
5 0 1 0 S'more I get it you two. I hope it is now adjusted
5 1 -1 0 Professorkirke Welcome to the Knockout Quiz Digory
5 1 0 0 Annie P For being the first food teacher I ever met
5 3 0 0 Dolphy For having a vivid imagination
5 0 0 1 Papio For sexing Doublethink correctly
5 0 -1 0 Professorkirke I think you lost it for a minute there professor
5 0 -1 0 Hennah NO!
5 0 0 2 Smudgie Still trying to help you all
5 1 0 0 Rugasaw I like the occasional bout of madness
5 0 2 1 R.D.Olivaw Good information but I am generous early in the competition
5 0 1 0 Gort Good Post
5 0 -1 1 Annie P You should read your own advice
5 1 -1 0 Dolphy I have never seen a post quite like that one
5 1 0 0 Smudgie A born mother if ever I met one
5 1 0 0 Dolphy For voting mummies to be out of the quiz

6 0 -1 0 Dolphy For getting her last post wrong
6 0 1 0 Jedijudy For impressing Dolphy
6 0 1 0 Dolphy For underailing the thread
6 1 0 0 Pants Thanks for the graphics
6 0 1 0 Chorister Got it in one (a nappy that is)
6 0 0 1 S'more Trying to help but Dolphy already had another entry
6 1 0 0 Jedijudy For talking in a language that bypasses me
6 0 1 0 Professorkirke For trying to educate us
6 1 0 0 Hennah For the information about the Hydrogen bomb
6 0 -1 0 Professorkirke For admissions of inferiority
6 0 0 1 Papa Smurf For eliciting information from the Quizmaster
6 0 -1 0 Papa Smurf Quite correct, but I call that 'CleverDick'ism
6 2 0 0 Chorister For finding a use for ROUND 1 of the quiz
6 1 0 0 Dolphy I think you mean Melons
6 5 0 0 Chorister For a link I can go back to time and again
6 0 -2 0 S'more Inability to post a link despite assurances
6 1 0 0 S'more We have not had a post like that one yet
6 1 -1 0 Smudgie For allowing herself to get wound up during the quiz
6 1 0 0 Nutmeg Up close and personal? ….. OK!
6 1 1 0 Pure as Snow Lazy but Original AND Smart
6 2 1 0 Barnabas62 Nice one Barnaby
6 0 -1 0 Professorkirke Open to debate AND Yes,No,Read the OP
6 0 -1 1 Professorkirke Trying to be helpful and failing
6 1 1 0 Doublethink I must be soft but I like that post
6 2 -1 0 Professorkirke Like the originality, doubt the validity
6 1 0 0 S'more Must remember that when you post a third broken link
6 0 0 1 Nutmeg Helpful point
6 0 0 1 Nutmeg Another helpful point
6 1 1 0 Marvin the Martian For a great attempt at Brinkmanship

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to post my link so here goes: Reventador . Last went party-popper-esque in 2002, though still chugging the odd bit.

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Papio, you have a problem

I'm now out of this, thanks.

[ 14. September 2005, 19:28: Message edited by: Papio. ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
quote:

Out of where? The volcano or the game?
Please don't go (if it's the game we're talking about). If it's the erruption, then that is a sound thing to do. Don't leave us!

As for me, I'm going for the obvious Mount St Helena as it has been pointed out that it hasn't been picked yet. [Big Grin]

Last erruption - 1980. That should do it.

[edit - just scrolled up to see that someone had suggested to go for the volcano which I've picked. Post edited in light of reading said information]

[ 14. September 2005, 19:48: Message edited by: Annie P ]

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
quote:

Out of where? The volcano or the game?
The Game.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:

As for me, I'm going for the obvious Mount St Helena as it has been pointed out that it hasn't been picked yet. [Big Grin]

Anne, I'm sure that was just an accidental typo in the name of Mount St. Helens. Of course, the town of St. Helens is in a different state, and the town of St. Helena is in yet another.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The aptly named Novarupta, although it's ratherlike the name 'Newbridge' or 'Newport' - after a few years, it stops seeming so new!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Doubt the validity of Bumbershoot? It was a volcano that erupted! Haha, I thought it was great, and I'm having a blast, so there. [Biased]

And from now on, I maintain that I am SUPERIOR to everyone, rather than inferior at all. [Killing me]

-Digory

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

We have enough entries now. Next round will start tomorrow night around this time.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doubt the validity of Bumbershoot? It was a volcano that erupted! Haha, I thought it was great, and I'm having a blast, so there. [Biased]

And from now on, I maintain that I am SUPERIOR to everyone, rather than inferior at all. [Killing me]

-Digory

I bow to your superior intellect, but only if you send me some of that candy. [Biased]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for me, I'm going for the obvious Mount St Helena as it has been pointed out that it hasn't been picked yet.

I believe that your link to Mt. St. Helen's was incorrect...it last erupted, October 2004.
link

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at Mt. St. Helens a couple of weeks ago, and though it wasn't an eruption, there was a little bit of smoke coming out of that crater, as can be seen here

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
We have enough entries now. Next round will start tomorrow night around this time.

Waiting eagerly

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fingernails being chewed in nervous anticipation...
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Calm down, girls - there's still eight and a bit hours to go yet. Yeesh.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

But he's so masterful, and it's all just so exciting.

High pitched giggle

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:

Stamp collecting will get you everywhere [Roll Eyes] .

No, wait - that was flattery, not philately. Oh well... [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

dolphy

# 862

quote:
High pitched giggle

Not quite as high pitched as my sonar squeal. Volcanos have errupted as a result! [Razz]

<edited to say to Marvin: you could have been more original in your sig, you never mentioned the ashes [Razz] [Biased] >

[ 15. September 2005, 13:14: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

High pitched giggle

*swoons*
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

quote:
Originally posted by R.D. Olivaw:
quote:
As for me, I'm going for the obvious Mount St Helena as it has been pointed out that it hasn't been picked yet.

I believe that your link to Mt. St. Helen's was incorrect...it last erupted, October 2004.
link

It all depends on your definition of an eruption. The US Geological Society website linked above implies that there is an ongoing eruption:

quote:
Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:15 a.m. PDT (1615 UTC)

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Current status is Volcano Advisory (Alert Level 2); aviation color code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months.

So eruption can mean general volcanic activity (happening at present), visible releases of steam and/or ash (not uncommon), or explosion (1980). As a matter of interest (especially to those who live in the area), the Cascade volcanos tend to have massive explosions rather than just spewing out red hot lava. (At least in recent geologic history.) Mt. Mazama is a good example - what is left of the mountian is now the home of Crater Lake.
R.D. Olivaw
Shipmate
# 9990

- Posted      Profile for R.D. Olivaw   Email R.D. Olivaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Carex...I brought up the October date because my husband flew over Mt. St. Helens last October and took some really cool pictures of the eruption. And under the definition given in your post my volcano is still "erupting" too. [Smile]

--------------------
We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness -Thich Nhat Hanh

Posts: 496 | From: I'm a leaf on the wind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Only minutes remain--how will I next demolish all of my opponents? Only time can tell...

Er something.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016