homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Dear Sine... (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Dear Sine...
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing Grace, I haven't sent out Christmas cards yet and hope to get it done over the weekend. They'll be Epiphany cards. Actually, we have sent out ridiculously late Christmas cards several times over the years. Sometimes there's a good "excuse" story to entertain the recipient, sometimes not. Our tardiest card was sent in early March. Since March 3 (or is it 4?) is Pulaski Day, celebrated in Chicago, we opened by wishing everyone a Happy Pulaski Day.

The crazy thing is, we get so many compliments and thanks from people when this happens. They tell us that when the card arrives after Christmas, they actually have time to sit down and read the letter. We once received a Christmas card with the following note jotted at the bottom: "I'm really looking forward to receiving your card next month. I always enjoy your letters."

So go ahead and send out your cards. Remember that Christmas BEGINS on the 25th. If people somehow take offense at receiving your card because it's "late," they aren't worth the price of postage.

[ 04. January 2006, 15:35: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang! Screwed up once and missed the edit window a second time. [Hot and Hormonal] I was just going to add that, if you like sending out Valentine's Day cards and want to do that instead, go for it!! I think it would be charming. People don't receive enough Valentines any more. It would be nice.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er - dont you just send a valentines card to your beloved, or the one you fancy?!?!?
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Related to once-worn clothes:

I have been searching for a valet-stand (I think that's what they are called) for ages - you know with a hanger at the top and rail you hand your trousers over and a tray for the contents of your pockets*. Does anyone know where you get these in the UK. Also isn't this supposed to be the solution unless you actually employ a ladies maid or a valet ?

Doublethink

A Corby Press will do all the above and gently iron your trousers at the same time. A perusal of the site shows that they can be purchased in places like Argot and John Lewis.

If however you are looking for something a little less travelling salesman and a little more Jeeves and Wooster then antiques markets and auctions may be your best bet.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops missed the edit window. Presumably Argot is a store where you have to speak in the local lingo at all times! I meant Argos of course.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Er - dont you just send a valentines card to your beloved, or the one you fancy?!?!?

I think that's a NorthAmerica/UK difference. The YooEss seems to be a place where everyone gives everyone else chocolate on 14th Feb.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how bizarre!!! ANyone from the US of A to confirm? and is it to all friends? and do just girls send them then?! and what about to ones you *do* love are they any diferent?!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
how bizarre!!! ANyone from the US of A to confirm? and is it to all friends? and do just girls send them then?! and what about to ones you *do* love are they any diferent?!

I asked an American friend this question once. He said you send them to friends, anyone, your family if you want, you could for example send one to your mother. I then received one which was signed from him and his wife. He explained kindly that it had to be from her as well otherwise it would look a bit odd.

The whole concept seems to be different over there.

My Scandinavian penpal also once sent me a card which had poppies on the front, where we would have used roses. Over here poppies are linked with remembrance of the wartime dead. Apparently when they introduced the Valentine's Day card custom in Scandinavia, roses didn't catch on as they didn't have the same associations and it wasn't until they changed it to poppies that people started buying the cards.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

so like xmas - another "send one to everyone you know"??
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recall, Valentines in the US were, from the beginning, not just cards you sent anonymously to the object of your devotion. Some of the first ones were nasty joke valentines telling the recipient how ugly she was. These would be sent anonymously---but most American valentines are signed.
In the US kids start out sending valentines to their classmates in elementary school. Multiple valentines. You show who you really like by putting sweets in the envelope. The kids' valentines are sold in special cheap packs of approximately the number in the average classroom.

People send valentines to their friends, to members of their families (some of them), and to the objects of their adoration.

In the UK, as far as I can tell, one never sends more than one valentine, and to receive a valentine from someone is no light matter. Imagine the confusion I inadvertently caused when I moved here... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
so like xmas - another "send one to everyone you know"??

Not quite everyone! However, in Britain people send out more Christmas cards than people in the US do. You have to be a little more than a nodding acquaintance to get a Christmas card from an American. Like a business associate, a family member, or an actual friend.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kinder
Shipmate
# 8886

- Posted      Profile for kinder   Email kinder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You Ess of AYYer here- can confirm it is not uncommon to send Valentine's cards to anyone you want- best friend, romantic partner, daughter, grandmother. In fact my two best friends have never been involved with romantic partners and, not wanting them to feel left out, I have sent each of them a card for about 20 years now. Never heard of sending one to your plumber or your boss, but ....

--------------------
"I can actually say that after 4 1/2 years of therapy and intense spiritual healing, I no longer hate George Bush. But at the same time, I have committed my life to his overthrow. I mean 'overthrow' in a loving, Christian way...."

Posts: 126 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Dear Sine,

I have a dilemma.

Due to a combination of a work deadline that was literally making me crazy and various winter bugs, I have not yet gotten around to doing holiday cards. Something had to give and that was it. (My shopping, thank God, was done before Thanksgiving.)

The Twelve Days are rapidly passing if you know what I mean and I'm still feeling a bit poorly. (And in a bit of a "guilt trap", which doesn't help matters.)

I have some New Year's cards, but am wondering if I should bag it and make some Valentine's cards (I like making Valentines and like sending them out far and wide) and try to send them out early with a brief explanation. That is what I did the year my grandmother died at Christmas, but on the other hand it seems like a cop-out.

I seek your advice on how to recover from this gracefully.

Charlotte

Ixnay on the greeting cards. Get out your informals and write each person a short note hoping they had a good Christmas and wishing them the best in the coming year.

You've missed your window of opportunity and will only look brave and pathetic if you send any kind of card now.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Dear Sine,

I have been given two nearly identical 10 carat diamond solitaires for Christmas. I have almost made up my mind to which of the two gentlemen I shall give my hand. May I return the other ring to the gentleman I will not be marrying, and ask him for something else instead? I'm thinking a sapphire ring would be just the thing, blue being my favorite color and all. What do you think?

Sincerely,
__AR

Thank-you for this truly interesting question. A girl never gives back good jewelry if she can help it. She may look greedy, grasping and mercenary, but that's beside the point. You never know what the future will bring, after all.

Fortunately you say these baubles were given as Christmas gifts not as engagement rings. Therefore whatever expectations Bachelor #2 may have had, he doesn't get his ring back. He should have been clearer. If it was under the tree it's yours.

Nor do you ask him to exchange it for the sapphire (which BTW, I completely agree with you about). Don't let the ring out of your possession. You march right into Harry Winston and exchange it yourself.

Good luck and God bless.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
You must have more exciting mid-week movie dates than I do to even ask that question.

Horsecrap. Don't you recognize the desperate need for a vicarious thrill when you see one? [Big Grin]

[ 05. January 2006, 02:11: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

Uncle Sine likes to play hard to get. So hard to get in fact that most people don't even bother trying.

--------------------

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Related to once-worn clothes:

I have been searching for a valet-stand (I think that's what they are called) for ages - you know with a hanger at the top and rail you hand your trousers over and a tray for the contents of your pockets*. Does anyone know where you get these in the UK. Also isn't this supposed to be the solution unless you actually employ a ladies maid or a valet ?

Doublethink

Try
Froogle and search on Valet Stand.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
You must have more exciting mid-week movie dates than I do to even ask that question.

Horsecrap. Don't you recognize the desperate need for a vicarious thrill when you see one? [Big Grin]
And here I thought Kelly Alves was asking for a movie review, particularly whether the cowboys got rug burn [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

The kids' valentines are sold in special cheap packs of approximately the number in the average classroom.

How cheap do they go?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A girl never gives back good jewelry if she can help it.

Oh what a relief. I still have the gold necklace that my first love gave me. My mother certainly gave me a hard time over its acceptance. But now I know that all the while I was playing by The Rules
[Axe murder]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to a topic from last year! [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
part of me thinks that denying a grandmotherly title is a bit pedantic, insensitive and ungrateful. But another part thinks that there really is a difference between a grandmother and a kindly oldster, and that my son ought to know it.

I disagree with that. Your son will have other relations with whom he has no blood ties, eg aunts or uncles. If the person is fulfilling the roles and responsibilities of a parent or grandparent they should be treated as such. But my opinion doesn't really matter to you.

I was dragging this back up because so many children develop their own names for people. My Dad said that he never wanted to be called Papa, but when it came out of the mouth of his grandson it because instantly acceptable.

You may well find that your goblin comes up with a name for your father-in-law's lover that is most acceptable to you and to her. Why not give it a bit of time to see what he decides to call her.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

At what time is it acceptable to not have to mumble "Happy New Year" to everyone you've not seen since 31st December or earlier?
Some acquaintences appear to believe that this should be done for quite some time. It's getting a little dull now,

yours sincerely,
luv&daisies

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

In the states we are able to solve the problem by wishing people "Happy Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday" after the 15th. In the UK I would suggest "How was your New Year?" after the 10th of the month until February 1st.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

I hate to bump a thread with my name in the title, but I've got one of those modern day etiquette problems that's becoming more and more common, and not being a modern day sort of person need I help from our panel of experts.

It has been brought to my attention - second hand, I assure you - that our substitute organist has a rather attractive scantily-clad photograph of himself posted on a website that specializes in that sort of thing. The sort of website where you go to make new friends, as it were.

My source assures me that the picture is more attractive than said organist is when viewed in the flesh in the steam room of the YMCA, but attractive nonetheless.

So my question is, if you're putting yourself out there for all the world to see, is it in poor taste or in some way rude to just mention casually after the service one Sunday "I hear you've got a hot pic posted on bigmuscle.com. Would you like to have dinner?"

Or should one reply anonymously through the internet and just let him be surprised when he shows up at Starbucks and finds the gentleman waiting for him with the rose between his teeth is someone he knows from church?

--------------------

Sophie Bell
Shipmate
# 8822

- Posted      Profile for Sophie Bell   Author's homepage   Email Sophie Bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you just say that you heard he was "looking for a date" (I'm sure you could phrase it much better) and leave out where the info came from?
Posts: 151 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

Actually my source told me pretty much exactly what he was looking for. Unfortunately it was pretty much just a string of abbreviations that, being a retiring sort, I didn't totally follow.

Apparently he likes Forward in Faith. I guess that's what "FF" meant. Unfortunately I'm not really a Forward in Faith kind of guy myself.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Sine, I wondered to myself why it matter to you that his picture is more handsome than his looks in real life? I speculate it may be an honesty issue. If so, than that is wise to ponder.

Most people put up very glam shots of themselves on their webpage/ads/albums/editorials.

Example to make point:
I love Madonna, but they edited away a good 20 years off of her looks on her latest album covers. I hate this since she should be empowered to be the beautiful woman she is at 46 years old but anyway, I do not blame her for doing this. She wants to lure an audience. And the public is a demanding beast for youth, beauty and slender-fit-bodies. It is a necessary evil. Madonna wants to sell more records so she let's them whip out the old airbrush.

Your organist just wants to showcase himself to get some more attention. He thinks perhaps it won't matter in person he is not as much of a hottie as he made himself out to be since the young studmuffins will be floored by his wit and charm.

I would have some fun with this. I would so go for it. Set up a date, find a picture of yourself that looks different and then show up. Buy him a drink and have a laugh (you must pay for the drink since he will have a big shock of his secret being out and he needs something to steady his nerves).

You might then might find him some good company on a Friday night not just Sunday morning.

No matter what happens though, I would not "out" him (not that you were probably thinking of doing that either, I am saying this for the benefit also of your gentle readers).

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The context could be a bit awkward here. This is a place of employment for him, albeit temporary. I suppose it might depend if he's hoping to make it a periodic temporary place or not. If so, it might be a bit awkward to talk about the photo. Most subs I know get a small collection of semi-regular gigs, and fill in with the one-offs. For church, I mean.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the states we are able to solve the problem by wishing people "Happy Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday" after the 15th. In the UK I would suggest "How was your New Year?" after the 10th of the month until February 1st.

Or learn how to wish them Happy New Year in Chinese (it starts on Sunday, apparently, and it is the Year of the Dog)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] Apparently he likes Forward in Faith. I guess that's what "FF" meant. Unfortunately I'm not really a Forward in Faith kind of guy myself.

Don't ya just love it when Sine plays coy and goes fishing for prurient responses? [Killing me]

[my well-known sense of decorum prevents me sullying these heavenly fields]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
[...] Apparently he likes Forward in Faith. I guess that's what "FF" meant. Unfortunately I'm not really a Forward in Faith kind of guy myself.

Don't ya just love it when Sine plays coy and goes fishing for prurient responses? [Killing me]

"Goes fishing."

I think that is what Sine wants to have. A fishing trip.

Wink. Wink. Nod. Nod.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Don't ya just love it when Sine plays coy and goes fishing for prurient responses?

Ok. So I made that part up. The rest is true.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
The context could be a bit awkward here. This is a place of employment for him, albeit temporary. I suppose it might depend if he's hoping to make it a periodic temporary place or not. If so, it might be a bit awkward to talk about the photo.

See, that's really what I don't get. All sorts of 'perfectly respectable' people these days are posting naked or near-naked pictures of themselves on the world-wide web. Do they assume only their target audience will see them? It just blows my mind actually.

I've got a friend who keeps insisting I need to do it too. "Broaden my dating-base" as it were. Never in a million years. (Although that would make an interesting link in my signature.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't want to derail the thread with my Dorothy in Oz comments, so if somebody could just PM me to explain the joke, I'd be eversohappy, thankyouverymuch.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

I'm perplexed by the etiquette of the electronic age. A good friend of mine likes to hang around a set of web-boards, and feels they have there found some interesting friendships, though they be distant. However, my friend is prone to enthusiasms, and some time ago sent out a flock of small but sweet gifts winging there way else-where-wards. Most were acknowledged with a smile, but one or two were not, not at all. And my friend worries that they have caused offense with their fowardity.

Is it best to advise my proto-stalker-friend to forget the whole thing, or could they somehow enquire about successful delivery? Should we rather stay carefully at home behind our modems?

One would not like to provoke a situation.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

I don't want to derail the thread with my Dorothy in Oz comments, so if somebody could just PM me to explain the joke, I'd be eversohappy, thankyouverymuch.
I need explanatory assistance too.
Enquiring minds are enquiring...

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd assumed FF in the implied context was something to do with Fist F*****g.

(Asterisks because this is, afterall, an etiquette thread.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eww.

That's more information than I really needed to know.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh most exalted one, a question on the practice of "re-gifting". A dear friend at work just gave me a beautiful silk sari her son brought back from a recent mission trip to India. I have neither the body nor desire for wearing it. Also, due to some rather inquisitive Siamese who share my home, I have no way to safely display this piece of cloth. Would it be permissable to give it to a dear friend's mother, who would treasure it and be able to use it in some fashion? Thank you!
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

I have been invited to a reception; dress is to be "semi-formal." Way back when I was in high school (around the time of Noah), semi-formal meant short dress, formal meant long dress. What is the current attire for a semi-formal occasion? Since I have reached "a certain age," I do not feel comfortable in shorter dresses. Even my casual dresses and skirts are mid-calf or full-length. Can I wear a long skirt and top (I'm thinking dressy and maybe sparkly -- in black), or dressy slacks (black velvet) with same dressy black top? I'd like to use something already in my closet rather than spend a lot of money on this. Thanks for your knowledgeable and tasteful advice!

Pigwidgeon

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
Oh most exalted one, a question on the practice of "re-gifting". A dear friend at work just gave me a beautiful silk sari her son brought back from a recent mission trip to India. I have neither the body nor desire for wearing it. Also, due to some rather inquisitive Siamese who share my home, I have no way to safely display this piece of cloth. Would it be permissable to give it to a dear friend's mother, who would treasure it and be able to use it in some fashion? Thank you!

Oh dear. I've been remiss and didn't see this. I apologize.

You have a lot of "dear friends", don't you? Lucky you. As long as the "dear friend at work" and the "dear friend's mother" aren't the same dear friend I think you're Ok.

I used to have a not-so-dear friend who would bring me gifts of strange articles of clothing from business trips to the Far East I never knew what to do with. Like a pair of orange silk trousers from Thailand you were supposed to tie on in some way I could never figure out and were big enough to get about six of me into.

I finally gave them to Goodwill. I keep looking for some homeless person on the street wearing them.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Dear Sine,

I have been invited to a reception; dress is to be "semi-formal." Way back when I was in high school (around the time of Noah), semi-formal meant short dress, formal meant long dress. What is the current attire for a semi-formal occasion? Since I have reached "a certain age," I do not feel comfortable in shorter dresses. Even my casual dresses and skirts are mid-calf or full-length. Can I wear a long skirt and top (I'm thinking dressy and maybe sparkly -- in black), or dressy slacks (black velvet) with same dressy black top? I'd like to use something already in my closet rather than spend a lot of money on this. Thanks for your knowledgeable and tasteful advice!

Pigwidgeon

"Semi-formal" never meant much to begin with, but now means the hosts are afraid some of the guests will show up looking as though they just finished slopping the hogs before running off to the reception. I think either of your alternatives sound fine. The main thing is not to show your navel piercing. That would be defined as "Casual".

Should any of the guests say something like "Didn't you realize this was 'semi-formal' ", just look at them haughtily and reply "Of course. That's why I didn't wear my tiara."

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Sine. Though I *am* disappointed that both the navel piercing and tiara will have to go by the wayside.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely if you wore sported both they'd cancel each other out?

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
Surely if you wore sported both they'd cancel each other out?

I *have* thought about a matching diamond tiara and navel ornament.

--------------------
~Tortuf

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Uncle Sine,

My courtyard is separated from the adjoining house courtyard by a high wall: the houses are constructed in a U shape with central private courtyards.

It has been some months since my neighbour hung a very tacky small metal windchime from her courtyard roof (perspex on a metal frame - hers is old and shabby, whereas mine, being architect designed and of high quality materials still looks as nice as when first erected). The chime is of cheap Chinese manufacture (in my assessment) and has a clanger in the shape of a stylised butterfly that makes unpleasant high pitched dings.

Wind chimes, as we all know, are terribly tacky, however, as we also know, I delight in tacky things. I want wind chimes too. I want nicer ones. Bigger. And more flamboyant. Something like these. But I don't want it to look like I am one-upping my neighbour.

Also, today, I heard the continous splashing of what my kitsche-hardened ears divined was a portable water feature.

I fear my neighbour has upped the ante. Please help. What would you advise?

[I have admired quite a few portable water features in my time - they are quite nice, except make me want to dash off and spend a penny. Currently my courtyard contains a divan, a round wooden table and chairs and a oldey worldey paraffin storm lantern. I am also thinking of putting white painted wrought-iron trim in the corners of the dividing wall].

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we wait for Sine...

Coot, have you felt slightly queasy or irritable at any time since these windchimes went up? If so this is most probably because the neighbour is into Feng Shui and all the evil influences that have been diverted from her place are now pouring into yours. You must take affirmative action immediately. You need an enormous set of wind chimes and a water feature (that preferably goes from north to east) to divert the stale and malignant chi. Whatever you have must be bigger and better in order to ward off the evil influence. I am sure your neighbour will understand.

Sine is however the expert on matters of etiquette and I defer to his views in this matter.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After several rereadings, I figured out that the portable water feature and sounds which are enhancing The Coot's neighbour's garden were not this.

Fortunate, since it's hard to imagine in which direction one might up the ante (discretely or otherwise) on such a feature.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coot - Ariel is right. And you also need big mirrors facing the entrance points at which your neighbor's malign influences could be flowing into your house. To deflect them back out again, of course.

My mum has some very nice, very large african wooden windchimes - they make a pleasant (if slightly sinister) deep bonging noise rather than an irritating tinkling. It sounds like they would put your neighbor's chimes into the shade no problem.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
You need. . .a water feature (that preferably goes from north to east) to divert the stale and malignant chi. Whatever you have must be bigger and better in order to ward off the evil influence.

Perhaps something like this, pointed in the right direction.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016