homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Dear Sine... (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Dear Sine...
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
In your wisdom, can you explain how this can be?

They're from Kentucky.

OK, no I can't. I'm going to have to consult my panel of experts.

Scholar Gypsy
Shipmate
# 7210

- Posted      Profile for Scholar Gypsy   Email Scholar Gypsy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the twins are married to identical twins, who would therefore share the same genetic material?
This would mean that, genetically speaking, the two children have the same mother.
Does that work?
S

Posts: 822 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are cousins because their fathers are brothers.

If one woman Um...Donated the eggs for the two fathers, and at least one used a surrogate mom, then they could be born 5 days apart.

However, it does sound like they are from Arkansas...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was looking at a couple of the profiles, and I found this from twin brothers Gary and Mark...

Who cares about Gary and Mark. I want to know more, lots more, about Billy and Jimmy.

(Talk about "double your pleasure".)

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are cousins because their mothers are sisters, and half-sisters because they share the same father but not the same mother. And they were born five days apart because their mothers spend a lot of time together, so have synchronised menstrual cycles, but never talk to each other, so didn't realise that the same bloke was cheating on one of them with the other (or vice versa).

Or alternatively they are from Norfolk*, or are Mormons, so they just don't care about that part. Actually, considering their pride in the situation, I'd say it was one of the latter two. If they were sisters who hadn't realised the bloke of one of them was cheating on them with the other, at least one of them would have had their eyes poked out.

*Translation: Kentucky.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If, for example, the fathers are genetically identical twins, then their children would be genetically half-siblings.

So if a pair of identical male twins married a pair of non-identical sisters, then their children would be genetically both cousins and half-sisters.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Ok, that makes sense. Thank-you panel of expert.
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine;

An issue has been bubbling away between my blood family and my in-laws: Gift certificates.

My mom raised all us kids up with the idea that gift certificates were Tacky and Not the Done Thing. They indicated you were too lazy or didn't care enough to think of a gift so you fobbed off a certificate on the recipient. (My mother was also the woman who said, "A woman is never without her gloves save on two occasions: When she is nude and when she is wearing a swimsuit or lingerie.")

My in-laws love gift certificates, they give them as gifts frequently, and they do so from stores where they know the recipient enjoys shopping. They see nothing "thoughtless" about them and they feel the recipient will enjoy purchasing whatever he or she likes with them. The in-laws enjoy receiving them as much as giving them. (FYI: They usually don't give the certificates in place of all other gifts, merely as auxillary gifts.)

I've been agreeing more and more with my in-laws, thus my family now looks askance at me for giving gift certificates as gifts.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kenwritz, i don't knnow how sine feels about it, but my own feeling is that gift certificates are absolutely lovely presents, as long as you give something with them. for instance, i like to give a book that i think the recipient will like, with a gift certificate for the bookstore tucked inside. that way they know you shopped for them, but they have the fun of picking out their own things.

but a gift certificate by itself just seems a bit cold.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I knew that someone looked askance at gift certificates, or indeed any particular gift, I wouldn't give it to them, even if I thought it would make a fine gift. The idea is to give something that will make them happy, not to give them something that would make me happy.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, I take crap from my family for giving gift certificates to anyone that isn't in a service relationship to me.

However--I just remembered this--my sister emailed me an amazon.com gift certificate for my birthday. So, I think the wall is beginning to crumble. Or standards are falling, whichever.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Nope, I take crap from my family for giving gift certificates to anyone that isn't in a service relationship to me.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

That's ridiculous. It's none of their business what you give other people. But you'll have to get Sine to tell you a polite way to convey this--I can't think of one.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Mr. Writez, you have not been totally forthcoming in your query. Before I can answer it I need a very important piece of information: Is it your family who's been giving you grief or is it your mother?
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Sorry I was unclear. [Hot and Hormonal] Mom instilled the rule in us and she continued in it until her death. My sibs, with the exception of my middle sister, give me grief for the certificates.

[ 09. June 2005, 05:00: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Oh, your siblings. Then you needn't be polite at all. Just remind them how difficult it is (as if they didn't know) to form a new family from the cultures of two different families. And that unlike the Writez Family, the Writez-Wench Family does give gift certificates as presents. You might possibly end the conversation with "Wanna make sumpin of it?" and a belligerent stare. Or possibly an invitation to drop by the trailer park any ol' time for a visit.
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Uncle Sine

A social dilemma lies before me, so clearly you are the very person to advise me. This weekend, for complicated family reasons,at my mother's house I will be meeting her brother, a long-lost uncle I last saw over 35 years ago when I was six. I may also meet a long lost aunt I last saw when I was eight, and her son my (much older) cousin, who I've only previously met once when I was a small girl. There may be one or two other assorted elderly relatives who I haven't seen since childhood.

Last time I met any of these people I knew them as Uncle Bob, Aunty Jenny and so on. I'm not sure I'm quite ready as an adult to Uncle and Aunt people who are now essentially strangers; we will be meeting as fellow adults over a short weekend.

I'm inclined to 'Bob' and 'Jenny' them from the start. WWSND?

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

What exciting lives some of you lead, full of doubt and uncertainty. I especially like family-related questions because you all never tell me what's really going on. From your evident wish not to be associated with your mother's brother I can only assume he's just been released from prison after doing 35 years for God knows what terrible crime. And all these elderly relatives suddenly popping out of the woodwork. Is there a tontine involved?

So how should you address all these strangers? Well, like it or not your mother's brother is your uncle and your aunt is your aunt. I myself have an aunt whom I loathe, but I still address her as Auntie Bitch-from-Hell, because she is still my aunt. Can't choose your relatives and all that. Now here's what you didn't make clear - are there going to be any aunts and uncles there whom you will address as "aunt" and "uncle"? Because if there are it would be odd and hurtful to create two classes of relatives at the same gathering - those you are willing to acknowledge and those you aren't.

However, if only these long-lost relatives will be present you have my permission (which along with $1.85 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks) to address them only by their Christian names. In exchange for that, however, you have to tell us why they're suddenly showing up on your mother's doorstep.

Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I can only assume he's just been released from prison after doing 35 years for God knows what terrible crime. And all these elderly relatives suddenly popping out of the woodwork. Is there a tontine involved?

.....if only these long-lost relatives will be present you have my permission (which along with $1.85 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks) to address them only by their Christian names. In exchange for that, however, you have to tell us why they're suddenly showing up on your mother's doorstep.

How the Ship improves one's vocabulary; I have just had to go and look up 'tontine', but no, there isn't one.

No two-tier system of address for elderly relatives, so it's 'Bob' and 'Jenny' then.

Your finely tuned social antennae homed in very accurately on the idea of prison, though I believe it was a few months here and there for minor fraud, a good many years ago. After which, through a series of slight rifts, house moves, being out of touch, deceased parents and mislaid addresses, he and my mother did not know how to contact each other for 35 years until last year she finally thought to track him down via the internet and did so in about five minutes. Cue emotional sibling reunion last year, followed by this weekend's forthcoming festivity to reintroduce long-lost Bob to the rest of the family. It will either be great fun or completely ghastly.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

You know, after mulling over your last post a bit, it occurred to me how much this must mean to your mother - after 35 years she's trying to heal a wound, reach out, and put things right while there is still time.

She obviously wants her brother back in her life somewhat and to feel like he's part of her family. It would be kind to call him "Uncle Bob". Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious reason for doing something we don't particularly want to do.

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

However, if only these long-lost relatives will be present you have my permission (which along with $1.85 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks) to address them only by their Christian names. In exchange for that, however, you have to tell us why they're suddenly showing up on your mother's doorstep.

Starbuck's coffee is only $1.85?! Why's it so much more expensive here?
[Waterworks]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

quote:
It would be kind to call him "Uncle Bob". Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious reason for doing something we don't particularly want to do.

Point taken; it's an important occasion for Mum.

Think I will prepare two different forms of greeting and see how kind I feel on the day. Of course, maybe he'll introduce himself with 'and do call me Bob'; in which case, problem solved. In the photos I have seen he looks disconcertingly exactly like my grandfather, who died over 30 years ago; that in itself will be weird enough.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Starbuck's coffee is only $1.85?! Why's it so much more expensive here?
[Waterworks]

you missed out the bit about having Sine's permission to go with it - having Permission from Sine has to be worth something....

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either that or he is talking drip rather than espresso.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Uncle Sine,

My 13 year old nephew has long hair. It is beautiful, that is for sure...long golden locks. This kidlet is spoiled in my opinion that he got to not only pierce his ears but grow out the hair down to his waist. Auntie Duchess has dilegently tried to force issue of giving hair to locks of love but kidlet refuses. He did consent to getting a few inches cut off the other day, but hair is long.

Not only is it long, but untidy. I have combed hair more than one time, and lectured him about putting it in ponytail should he keep it long forever. My caring lectures go unheard.

Please advise me on a way to force issue of good grooming.

Sincerely,

Auntie Duchess [Waterworks]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple - wait till he's asleep and then cut it off. (He's 13, male and has waist length hair? Don't his schoolfellows make their views known? Physically as well as verbally?)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Simple - wait till he's asleep and then cut it off. (He's 13, male and has waist length hair? Don't his schoolfellows make their views known? Physically as well as verbally?)

My dear fellow, this is Northern California...where self-expression is king. My brother and sister in law have bought this notion. He has Asperger Syndrome and goes to a special school for kidlets with learning disorders/problem children. Since everyone is on drugs (most of his classmates) from everything from hyperactivity to depression, nobody considers nephew to be freak. He is accepted finally in this school with his long girly goldy locks.

Even me making fun of his locks did not make him cut them albeit he did get very upset...so hence I do not try that approach anymore.

[eta: Auntie C told kidlet that I (Auntie Duchess) might cut off locks when he slept. He got very frightened [Eek!] . I don't have the heart to actually do this...but have killed that urge. [Angel] ]

[ 10. June 2005, 17:23: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leave the poor kid's hair alone... If it had been a thirteen year old girl everyone would have ooh:ed and aah:ed over the beautiful locks. I presume he keeps it washed and somewhat untangled?
Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Nope! He does NOT wash enough...nor does he comb his girly goldy locks...hence my pain. [Waterworks]

Due to beautiful face, he is often mistaken for a girl which does not bother him it seems. He is just about to hit puberty and when he does, this may change.

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Dear Auntie Duchess,

Let me get this straight: Your nephew has long hair, but he's OK with that. His parents are OK with that. His classmates at school are OK with that. The only one who isn't OK with that is Auntie Duchess. What's wrong with this picture?

How about you get yourself a Schnauzer puppy? Then you can indulge both your control issues and your grooming instincts on a creature that belongs to you rather than to your brother and sister-in-law. You can also have him fixed which should make him more amenable to your control. You can name your Schnauzer "Tim-Tim" or something cute like that. "Come, Tim-Tim!" "Sit, boy!" "Beg!" "Roll over!" "Play dead!". Wouldn't that be more fun than nagging your nephew?

Just a thought.

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dear Sine,

I admit to looking at the Doublemint Twin website as linked above - some sort of strange pull. Anyway, I was looking at a couple of the profiles, and I found this from twin brothers Gary and Mark:

quote:
We enjoy spending time with our beautiful nine-year old daughters, who are not only half-sisters and cousins but were also born only 5 days apart!
Hubby and I were trying to unravel the mystery of how there daughters can be half-sisters and cousins and only 5 days apart. In your wisdom, can you explain how this can be?

Sincerely,
Stumped in Scotland

Well, the only solution I can think of would involve unfaithfulness on the part of one woman (nearly said "a single mother" [Hot and Hormonal] ), and a big gap betweeen multiple births. It would take DNA testing to prove it, which you couldn't do if Gary and Mark were identical twins. [Ultra confused] Perhaps the reporter didn't quite understand the complexities of family relationships [Big Grin]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely its because the fathers are identical twins. The girls have the same genetic father, but different mothers, hence are half-sisters. They are cousins because their fathers are brothers.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Seraphim of Sarov:
quote:
Originally posted by The Prophetess:
Can you provide me with a response that is both polite and effective?

I always like using the statement: When God gives me one. Usually stops the questioning cold.
That always worked for me.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Uncle Sine

I am too nice. I always have been. Do you have any tips for becoming more nasty? I try to backstab. I try to be a bastard, but all that comes out is nice.

Thanking you in advance.

LATA

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Oh how embarrassing! [Hot and Hormonal]

LATA has stumped me. I haven't a clue and shall have to ask my panel of experts for suggestions. RooK? Sarky? Anyone?

Goodric

Shipmate
# 8001

- Posted      Profile for Goodric   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Dear Uncle Sine

I am too nice. I always have been. Do you have any tips for becoming more nasty? I try to backstab. I try to be a bastard, but all that comes out is nice.

Thanking you in advance.

LATA

But you are a lawer!

--------------------
Happy Christmas Everyone You can find me here

Gone to a better place.

Posts: 7160 | From: You all know anyway | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dear Uncle Sine

Thanking you in advance.

LATA

I can see I am going to have to take you in training, LATA. Yours is a sad case but I am sure I can help.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LATA, remember how at Christmas/birthdays/present-giving times, people always say "It's the thought that counts"? And remember all those boring sermons, in which the vicar drones on we cannot change ourselves, through our own actions; instead we need Christ to transform us from the inside, through our minds? And remember all the rubbish therapists/Californians spout about us being "human beings" not "human doings"?

Sadly it's all true.

You can try and change your words and actions, but that uses a lot of energy, you have to be constantly thinking about your goal, and it won't provide long-term change.

Instead, every morning, tell yourself that people are stupid, irrational, gullible little fuckers who will only piss off and stop annoying you if you squash them like the ants that they are. Remind yourself of this at regular intervals during the day.

When you have to interact with people, before saying/doing anything, try to take a deep breath, and think "What's the worst thing I can say/do to this person, to show them just how pointless, stupid and insignificant they are, and how much I dislike them - without getting myself sent to prison or fired from my job?" Then do or say it.

Change your way of thinking about the little bastards first, and a change in your ways of acting and speaking to the prats will naturally flow from there [Smile]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I try to be a bastard, but all that comes out is nice.

How odd. I'm still stinging from the verbal abuse you've heaped upon me.

What was that supposed to be? ...terms of endearment? [Waterworks]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Once again, thank-you, panel of experts! [Overused]

(One should never be too proud to ask for help with a question outside of one's own experience.)

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
...I try to be a bastard, but all that comes out is nice.

How odd. I'm still stinging from the verbal abuse you've heaped upon me.

What was that supposed to be? ...terms of endearment? [Waterworks]

Oh there, there, Gort. What I was doing was encouraging you to try harder. It was nice. I felt nice about it anyway.

Thanks panel.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine,

I have a friend who is suffering from a relationship that is just not meant to be. What is the best advice to help her get over the guy? Thank you.

P.S. the guy is not a jerk.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine

I've been offered a job and I'm not sure if I'm going to take it. If I decide against it, what is the correct way to word my decline?

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best way to be nasty and callous is not to try and do it. Instead remind yourself of how foolish everyone else is and how right you are. Think how much they'll thank you when you correct their flaws. You were put on this earth to shape the world in the correct image YOUR image. With this in mind you can be a right bitch and still feel good about it. The key to cruelty is righteousness. For some reasons Christians are very good at that.

Oh and:

Useful stock phrases include; "Oh thats one way of doing it, but if you were a full christian/proper professional/a little more experienced you would do it my way" and "I'm really concerned about the choices your making with your life, you clearly hate yourself, how can I help?"

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flausa - perhaps they're cousins, just not cousins of each other. Men say the funniest things.

[ETA: I know I'm slow, but I don't think I've ever been five days behind a conversation before. Hmm.]

[ 13. June 2005, 16:38: Message edited by: lazystudent ]

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
I have a friend who is suffering from a relationship that is just not meant to be. What is the best advice to help her get over the guy?

P.S. the guy is not a jerk.

I can't tell here. Have they broken up or are you trying to break them up (for her own good of course.)?

My grandmother's stock answer was "there are plenty of fish in the sea" but I always found that remarkably unhelpful.

I could bare my soul here and remark on a similar problem that moi (Yes, even I have problems - that's why I'm qualified for this thread.) is having.

As you said, some things are just not meant to be. But we want what we want and try to fix things or manipulate things to make them turn out the way we want them to. Your friend has no control over this other person. She can't make him feel the way she wants him to. Ask her if she finds that she's adjusting herself, changing herself, or in some other way not being her true self around this guy in an effort to make it work.

If so, ask her if she would really want to go through life that way, and if she thinks her real self isn't wonderful and valuable and won't be truly appreciated by someone down the road.

Of course what will probably happen is that she'll bitch and moan to you about her unsatisfactory relationship for months and months until some other loser shows up. Then you can hear about him until you're ready to [Projectile] .

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
Dear Sine

I've been offered a job and I'm not sure if I'm going to take it. If I decide against it, what is the correct way to word my decline?

That would be:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank-you so much for offering me that exciting janitorial position at Acme Screw & Bolt. As it turns out I have already accepted another position, albeit not in the private sector. I enjoyed getting to learn about your company and greatly appreciate your confidence in my janitorial abilities.

Sincerely,
Tony Blair

...or something to that effect.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, but how did you guess what the job was?
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sine

I am intending to visit the United States of America this autumn (or “fall”, as you would so quaintly put it). More specifically I will be in New York, and there are a number of questions with which I’m sure you can assist me.

The first conundrum I have is this: I was brought up to understand that eating in public, especially in the street, and except at proper picnics, should not be undertaken (and on this side of the pond we are particularly aware of how adherence to this principle assisted in the downfall of Communism). However, I am led to believe that one of the great culinary delicacies to be had in New York is the hot-dog (or “dogs”, as I think they are sometimes known). As these seem to be sold by street vendors, is it permissible to eat them in the street without attracting opprobrium? Alternatively, could you suggest any suitable (types of) restaurant where I might enquire as to whether they serve dogs?

Secondly: Although I am not a great watcher of television, I have occasionally seen television programmes (or should that be “programs”?) set in New York, such as Friends and Will and Grace. I gather from these that it is customary when living in apartment blocks in “The big apple” (or am I thinking of “the top banana”?) to leave one’s front door unlocked so one’s friends and neighbours can enter without having the bother of knocking and being let in. Should I also adopt this practice with my hotel room?

Thirdly, I am told that Americans do not drink tea as God intended, but instead have it cold (possibly something to do with getting into a tizzy over the subject of tea some time ago). Also from television and films, I gather that New York is highly susceptible to unfortunate incidents, such as alien invasions, assault by master criminals and attack by Godzilla. In such circumstances having a really good cup of tea would seem most advisable. When visiting New York should I take my own teapot?

Any other advice you can suggest for a Briton visiting our former colony would be most appreciated.

With thanks

Chapelhead

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
When visiting New York should I take my own teapot?

When I travel to the states I always take my own tea. Once I forgot, and spent several days scouring supermarket shelves for something that wasn't lipton or similar.

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kinder
Shipmate
# 8886

- Posted      Profile for kinder   Email kinder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although not Sine, I can add that there are plenty of shops in NY with excellent teas- some of them even containing tea (not some herbal replacement). The question, I believe, is whether or not to bring a teapot. As a habitual coffee drinker, I cannot speak to that.

Which brings up my question.

Dear Sine-
Is the correct wording
"an" habitual or "a" habitual?

Sincerely,
kinder

--------------------
"I can actually say that after 4 1/2 years of therapy and intense spiritual healing, I no longer hate George Bush. But at the same time, I have committed my life to his overthrow. I mean 'overthrow' in a loving, Christian way...."

Posts: 126 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016