homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell? (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell?
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
So it's all about you? Salvation as egocentrism. Not on my radar.

I find this phrasing to be interesting.

Salvation isn't about you? Who is it, exactly, that needs the saving? I don't think I'm doing God a favor by letting God save me.

And carrying the burden of "I don't know if I'll be saved eternally or damned eternally, but I suppose I should love this God anyway" is quite a heavy load to bear every day, don't you think? It's precisely why most churches make a way for you to be sure.

Just pray this prayer...
Follow these commandments...
Come to church regularly...
Accept Jesus...

Etc.

Wouldn't it be great if you could STOP worrying about it SO THAT you could get on with the working out portion (of clothing those naked people and feeding those hungry people, etc.)?

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
And carrying the burden of "I don't know if I'll be saved eternally or damned eternally, but I suppose I should love this God anyway" is quite a heavy load to bear every day, don't you think?

Not particularly. I don't think of it as a load at all. God loves me and wants to do all She can to save me. Why is that a load?

quote:
It's precisely why most churches make a way for you to be sure.

Just pray this prayer...
Follow these commandments...
Come to church regularly...
Accept Jesus...

To my way of thinking that's not one of the more endearing things about churches that do that.

quote:
Wouldn't it be great if you could STOP worrying about it SO THAT you could get on with the working out portion (of clothing those naked people and feeding those hungry people, etc.)?
This presupposes that I'm worrying. I'm not.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
And carrying the burden of "I don't know if I'll be saved eternally or damned eternally, but I suppose I should love this God anyway" is quite a heavy load to bear every day, don't you think?

Not particularly. I don't think of it as a load at all. God loves me and wants to do all She can to save me. Why is that a load?
Because all that God can do to save me may be not enough.

Because my salvation is (apparently) dependent on me.

You may be confident enough in your own abilities to not worry about your salvation but I would not be so egocentric...

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dwynwen
Shipmate
# 3900

- Posted      Profile for Dwynwen   Email Dwynwen       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe I'm alone in this, but um...

Dwynwen... what?

Not what but where. It is where we are going not what we were doing that may help us to reach the preferred destination eventually. But then if our deeds were dastardly then we should confess.

Yours in the love of Christ,
Dwynwen.

Posts: 149 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
You may be confident enough in your own abilities to not worry about your salvation but I would not be so egocentric...

You're treading on call-to-hell territory here.

I'm not confident in my abilities. I don't think it has anything to do with my abilities.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You're treading on call-to-hell territory here.

I'm not confident in my abilities. I don't think it has anything to do with my abilities.

Egocentric was your word, not mine.

You said above that your salvation does not depend just on God, who is doing all She can, but also on you.

Since you say you are not worried about your salvation, you are clearly reasonably confident that you will not fail the depends-on-you part of the test, that you have the ability to pass it.

You are confident that you have the ability to gain salvation.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I don't believe in any "tests". I believe in God. I believe that I have to cooperate with God, which I believe I'm doing. At that point I'm doing all I can, so what's to worry about?

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
I don't believe in any "tests". I believe in God. I believe that I have to cooperate with God, which I believe I'm doing. At that point I'm doing all I can, so what's to worry about?

You've already made it clear that all God can do She is doing, and it is not enough.

You say you are doing all you can to cooperate with God.

Are you confident that all you can do + all God can do is enough?

If so, you are confident in your ability to cooperate with God and thus gain salvation.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
You've already made it clear that all God can do She is doing, and it is not enough.

You say you are doing all you can to cooperate with God.

Are you confident that all you can do + all God can do is enough?

If so, you are confident in your ability to cooperate with God and thus gain salvation.

Twisting words comes so naturally for some people. I give up. If it's so vitally important for you to believe that I am "confident" in my salvation, then go right ahead. Clearly nothing I say can change your mind. You apparently have this dichotomy in your head -- "Either worried or confident" -- and are bound and determined to make everybody fall on one side or the other.

Procrustes never went to such lengths.

[ 05. January 2006, 20:16: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Twisting words comes so naturally for some people. I give up. If it's so vitally important for you to believe that I am "confident" in my salvation, then go right ahead. Clearly nothing I say can change your mind.

And I'm close to a hell call?

I'm not deliberately twisting your words, just trying to understand them and discuss their implications.

OK, so you are not confident of your salvation. You believe that God's efforts + your efforts may not be enough to save you.

Why aren't you worried? Thinking like that would lead me personally to either depression or a sort of late antiquity fatalism, not a joyous proclamation of God's power and love...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Hurts when the shoe's on the other foot, don't it?

Because worrying isn't going to change anything. Who by worrying can add to his height, etc?

I don't think of salvation as some all-or-nothing, once-or-never sort of thing, so that if I just say the right prayers or kiss the right icons or whatever, then I'm in the club automatically.

Salvation is a process that is worked out between us and God. The one way to be sure you aren't saved is to reject God categorically. I can't imagine doing that. If I did, then perforce salvation would no longer be meaningful to me, and it wouldn't bother me. So what's to get bothered about? What's to worry about? It's not like if I only do 70% then I won't be saved but if I do 75% I will. It's about direction. Is one moving toward God, toward love, toward generosity, or away? As near as I can tell, and as near as my spiritual father can tell me, I'm moving towards.

Worrying because I can't have some fictional fairy-dust "certainty" is worse than a waste of time.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Hurts when the shoe's on the other foot, don't it?

[Roll Eyes]
quote:
Salvation is a process that is worked out between us and God. The one way to be sure you aren't saved is to reject God categorically. I can't imagine doing that.
Sounds like you are pretty sure of your ability to not reject God to me. In fact your whole post sounds fairly confident, including the witness of your spriritual director who also thinks you're on the right track.

quote:
If I did, then perforce salvation would no longer be meaningful to me, and it wouldn't bother me.
Huh? Isn't the state of being without salvation normally described as hell? Aren't the people in hell normally considered to be somewhat bothered by their state?

quote:
Worrying because I can't have some fictional fairy-dust "certainty" is worse than a waste of time.
Paul seemed rather sure of his salvation. If he had any doubts that he was saved then he didn't spell them out in his letters.

In any case, it would make this discussion flow more easily if you didn't refer to the certainty of salvation that all universalists must necessarily have as "fictional fairy-dust"...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It would make the discussion easier if you didn't keep trying to foist on me a certainty that I keep saying explicitly I don't feel.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Demas,

The idea is like this.

The father loves his son.

When the son still a far away off, the father came running towards him.

All the son did was turn to the father.

That's all it takes.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Sounds like you are pretty sure of your ability to not reject God to me. In fact your whole post sounds fairly confident, including the witness of your spriritual director who also thinks you're on the right track.

You're projecting. Please stop. I've asked once already. It's not about "confidence" or "ability". Your insistence on continuing to pound on this two-note opera is getting tiring, and offensive.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
All the son did was turn to the father.

That's all it takes.

But you don't believe that all the sons will turn to the father. Some will not, in which case the father will be unable to convince them to come home.

Why will I turn to my father? Because I am a 'good person'? Because I was brought up in a 'Christian household'? Surely not... I am no better than you would expect given my upbringing and temprament.

So there continues to be a chance that I will not turn to my father. So I cannot be certain that I will find my way home, and cannot rely on my father to come and get me until I manage to turn to him, because he is unable (or unwilling) to do so.

So, if I cannot be certain, should I worry or be fatalistically cheerful? Or is there another option?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
So, if I cannot be certain, should I worry or be fatalistically cheerful? Or is there another option?

Yes. Turn to the Father.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
quote:

Yes. Turn to the Father.
Urg.

If I turn to my father, is my salvation assured? If so, then I am certain of my salvation. But wait, I have been told above that I cannot be certain! Which is it?

Maybe I cannot be certain whether I have turned to the father or not? In which case my question stands - if I cannot be certain, should I worry or be fatalistically cheerful? Or is there another option?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

What exactly does "fatalistically cheerful" mean? Why won't you answer my other questions?

Turn to the Father and stop trying to put me on the Procrustean Bed of worry versus certainty.

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief
Because worrying isn't going to change anything. Who by worrying can add to his height, etc?

I believe I am doing all I can to bring up my children properly, but still I worry. That is, I regularly wonder whether I am doing all I can; I wonder whether I could do better. To that extent I am `worried'. Am I neurotic about it? I don't think so. But so long as I think that I may be able to do better, and am not doing so, I worry.

The difference about worrying about how I raise my children, and worrying about my height, is that I know that I can't change my height, but I don't know that I can't raise my children better.

I don't know if `worrying' about salvation is more like worrying about your height, or worrying about whether you're raising your children properly [Smile]

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I turn to my father, is my salvation assured? If so, then I am certain of my salvation. But wait, I have been told above that I cannot be certain! Which is it?

Maybe I cannot be certain whether I have turned to the father or not? In which case my question stands - if I cannot be certain, should I worry or be fatalistically cheerful? Or is there another option?

Why the worry?

God is good, God loves you. Things are not that complicated.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
I believe I am doing all I can to bring up my children properly, but still I worry. That is, I regularly wonder whether I am doing all I can; I wonder whether I could do better. To that extent I am `worried'. Am I neurotic about it? I don't think so. But so long as I think that I may be able to do better, and am not doing so, I worry.

The difference about worrying about how I raise my children, and worrying about my height, is that I know that I can't change my height, but I don't know that I can't raise my children better.

I don't know if `worrying' about salvation is more like worrying about your height, or worrying about whether you're raising your children properly [Smile]

Oh, if by "worry" you mean "determining whether I'm doing what I can, and adjusting what I do to fit what I discover," then yes, I worry. But that's not usually how I define "worry". Maybe we should talk about worry(1) and worry(2)?

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Why the worry?

The worry is because many people on this thread are saying that God may be good and may love me, but my salvation depends on me turning to God, not just on the actions of God herself.

I am not worried about God's goodness, I am worried about my ability and inclincation to 'turn to the father'.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
quote:
Why the worry?

The worry is because many people on this thread are saying that God may be good and may love me, but my salvation depends on me turning to God, not just on the actions of God herself.

I am not worried about God's goodness, I am worried about my ability and inclincation to 'turn to the father'.

Then you misunderstand.

It's not about putting faith in yourself.

God f*cking loves people and desperately desires to bring them into abundant life. He'll take any excuse you give just so he can work with you. Pathetic, isn't it?

My favorite prayer is that in the gospel of Mark something, where some guy goes, "Lord I belief. help my unbelief."

That's me.

[eta "can"]

[ 05. January 2006, 21:59: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry – long post. This discussion has taken an interesting turn. Demas – seems to be pursuing one of the areas that is interesting however, I would like to continue exploring the other issue - which is Freddy’s take on hell (a take that seems to me to try to make hell a little less offensive). It centers round the belief that Jesus affirmed the view that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell.

Incidentally my point that having children is a curse if hell could lie at the end of it, has been quickly sidelined. Not surprising as it really is at the heart of the problem as I see it.

Freddy – first of all apologies if my last post came across as a little terse.

As a reminder to other readers this is what Freddy and I said:

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
Freddy, anyone who can make
quote:
"No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19.16

mean: "good people go to heaven bad people go to hell", can make language and logic work in ways I don't understand.
Good point. I don't think I have any new and original understanding of that passage.

Only God can truly be said to be good or righteous. Our responsibility is to do as He teaches. This is what is often called "goodness" or "righteousness" on our parts, even though we can't properly be called good or righteous.

This is a common understanding of this passage. I realize that there are other ways of seeing it.
quote:
I suspect I am wasting my time here. After 12 pages you still seem unaware of any substantial weaknesses / contradictions in your position. Am I right?

I am aware of weaknesses.

The main one is that there is an obvious contradiction between a God of love and one who is willing to condemn people forever to hell.

This seems too big for many people to get past. Isn't this how you see it?

Do you, on your part, see the weaknesses/contradictions in your position?

Before I explain further my problem with your interpretation of this verse I should put it in the context of the verses in Matthew where Jesus lumps those who hate and lust in with the adulterers and murderers. Much of Jesus’ ministry (ISTM) was about putting the whole of humankind together in the same boat. Not that I have any problem with that – it is obviously largely true.

Stanley Cohen who did a very detailed examination on the 20th century genocides, found that the vast majority of people in certain situations are capable of appalling brutality. The slaughter at My Lai reinforces this. Indeed my conviction for many years has been that on the wrong day and in the wrong context, I would be no less likely to behave in appalling ways than anyone else. If I take Jesus seriously then every time I hate I am not that different to a serial murderer. And I have hated many times in my life.

So this whole idea that humanity can be divided into the loathsome and the not loathsome – as you put it Freddy – I regard as naïve and contradicts much of what Jesus was about. Indeed many of those he mixed with were the loathsome of his society - those who didn’t respect themselves and didn’t respect others.

Now that Matthew verse and why I can’t get close to buying your take. I accept the second half of the Matthew verse can be read as meaning ‘good people go to heaven’, but it makes little sense when put with the first part. If we put the two together the problem is clear.

"No one is good but One, that is, God. Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell.” The only way I can make the second part work with the first part is if the second part is a corrective of the first part, which I don’t think you are arguing. In other words we should insert an assumed ‘It is said’ before the whole passage. Or perhaps Jesus was warmed up for the second part and made a foolish assertion to start off with. Not a common position as far as I know.

The final option would appear to be that Jesus was a particularly crass teacher - he was stating the bleeding obvious in the first part e.g. ‘elephants are big’, or ‘only God is good’ and then followed it with something that doesn’t really illuminate the first part. (This take also means the first part doesn’t really illuminate what follows.)

My belief that Jesus was probably saying something profound here is a weakness in my position I grant you. I am perhaps making too much of a presumption - he could of course have been as crass as those who interpret the verse as meaning ‘good people go to heaven’ seem to be assuming.

In the end your determination to defend hell leads you to insist on humanity being divided into the loathsome and not, and then blurring the line for the next life. For me most of humanity is muddling along in the middle and because you insist on as much continuity as possible between this life and the next, it ends up with most of humanity muddling along in the same mess in the next life as it is in this life - a perpetual moribund existence. Not something I would look forward to. Indeed heaven and hell seem alarmingly similar to me.

Luigi

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

[brick wall]

I meant to say:

"Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
quote:
I am worried about my ability and inclincation to 'turn to the father'.

Then you misunderstand.

God f*cking loves people and desperately desires to bring them into abundant life. He'll take any excuse you give just so he can work with you. Pathetic, isn't it?

But you insist that not all people will offer excuses that God will accept. Why is this? Is it because those people are less able to offer excuses? Or are they 'bad' people, unlike my good self?

What is different about me that will enable me to offer an excuse to God?

What is there to stop me worrying that (like those other people you argue exist) I will fail to offer the required excuse? Apart, that is, from an innate belief that I am by luck or by virtue of my goodness and spirituality already on the right track? (I thank you, Lord, that I am not like other men).

You may set the entry requirements to salvation very low, but you are the one insisting they still exist and that not all measure up, not me.

In your theology the thing standing in the way of my salvation is my own ability to turn to God. So I should either have faith in this ability or be worried that it will not be adequate.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
In your theology the thing standing in the way of my salvation is my own ability to turn to God. So I should either have faith in this ability or be worried that it will not be adequate.

Why? Why are those the only two options?

[ 05. January 2006, 22:39: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
quote:

Why? Why are those the only two options?
What are my other options? And why are they preferable?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Do your best and trust God. Because that option corresponds most with reality.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Luigi,

I don't know how Freddy will answer this but I'd like to try to take a stab at the interesting post you wrote. (Thank you for explaining, I appreciate the insights and problems you posed. This is what makes our discussion spicy and interesting.)

I totally agree with your assessment that under certain circumstance, pretty much everybody is capable of doing the same vile and evil things. I similarly too have struggled long and hard with hatred. I am particularly convicted by Jesus's insight that hatred in one's heart is the original problem.

So, I agree with the assessment that nobody is Good but God. I agree it is not just simply a matter of good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. Simply because we all possess sin that makes us capable of doing horrible, horrible things. And I don't think hatred & heaven can co-exist.

However, this dilemma is resolved by God. I think God likes us and want us to find peace. The pharissees misunderstood how to find peace and they thought that they could achieve by their own efforts towards righteousness. But God tells us that its not about how much effort and how many "things" we do for him at all. It much more freer than that. Life is about having faith in God's ultimate goodness and living rightly because of that faith. (faith as lifestyle, not just a confession of the lips).

In that sense, we can see how losers can be made "righteous" - simply by understanding that our salvation is not achieved by immpressive deeds, but by our hearts choosing to have faith in God and living out patiently what that means. So, far I have seen that people of even little faith can do sooo much good and love just because they understand the world does not revolve around them.

I guess that is why I think many "non-Christians" might be saved. 'Cause once you catch a glimpse that the world doesn't revolve around you - well, I think that's probably the beginning of a very helpful journey. I could be totally wrong, though.

So perhaps, when Freddy is talking about the "good" people - maybe he means people's who lives reflect their belief and faith in God's goodness so live out their desires to live rightly. And the "bad" people are those who openly reject faith and live their lives reflect this by living in the worst possible way at all times. I believe, however, that even the most vile person possesses the potential of redemption.

Something else I have noticed in the bible- that God intends to reward humanity for the good things they have done - not just pack them all to a burning lake. I think our God is good and that he is a merciful judge.

Phew, that was a long post. Hope it helps.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I guess that is why I think many "non-Christians" might be saved. 'Cause once you catch a glimpse that the world doesn't revolve around you - well, I think that's probably the beginning of a very helpful journey. I could be totally wrong, though.

Well if you are, then I am too.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
quote:
quote:
I am worried about my ability and inclincation to 'turn to the father'.

Then you misunderstand.

But you insist that not all people will offer excuses that God will accept. Why is this? Is it because those people are less able to offer excuses? Or are they 'bad' people, unlike my good self?

What is different about me that will enable me to offer an excuse to God?

What is there to stop me worrying that (like those other people you argue exist) I will fail to offer the required excuse? Apart, that is, from an innate belief that I am by luck or by virtue of my goodness and spirituality already on the right track? (I thank you, Lord, that I am not like other men).

You may set the entry requirements to salvation very low, but you are the one insisting they still exist and that not all measure up, not me.

I'm totally not understanding you. I feel very dense [Hot and Hormonal] and my apologies. (I know you have been saying the same things over again [Hot and Hormonal] .)

I think God loves us and we are like prodigal sons. All we have to do is ask.

What's the problem?

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
I'm totally not understanding you. I feel very dense [Hot and Hormonal] and my apologies. (I know you have been saying the same things over again [Hot and Hormonal] .)

No no, the quality of your posts clearly shows that you're not dense (or, at least, no denser than me [Biased] We're just all struggling with communicating from our different worldviews - part of the human condition, I'm afraid. The fact that I'm repeating myself shows my failure to find different ways to communicate [Frown]

quote:
I think God loves us and we are like prodigal sons. All we have to do is ask.

What's the problem?

My problem is with the second sentence.

Unless you have seen the light and become a universalist [Razz] then you believe that not all people will ask God and be saved through God's love.

Both you and Mousethief seem to agree that God cannot or will not make you ask, that it is up to you as an individual. It is therefore a test, a barrier, a hurdle, an impediment to my salvation. You've made it clear that you consider it a very small impediment, but that none-the-less not everyone will overcome it.

Some people will not ask God, will not turn to the father, and thus will not be saved by him.

On what basis would someone not turn to God? If you say that someone might reject God out of pride and arrogance, for example, then you are really saying that some people fail to attain salvation due to their wickedness. Isn't this just works based salvation? But what other motive would there be to reject God?

Also, what does asking God entail? Are you certain that you have turned to God?

Mousethief argues above (as far as I understand it) that you should just do your best and hope that it is enough to count as 'turning to God', so that God can do the rest and save you.

Personally I doubt that I will 'do my best' for the rest of my life. I certainly haven't so far. I am reminded of the young rich man, who had kept the commandments. Jesus deflates his pride by pointing out that even he hadn't done his best - he was unable to give all his money to the poor and follow Jesus.

So it is possible that my best efforts to 'turn to God' will not be enough - and I'm highly unlikely to be giving it my best efforts anyway. And if I understand you correctly, God cannot or will not make me turn to him - that initial turning or asking is up to me - so I can't just trust to God to save me.

So, I should either be confident that I will when needed 'turn to God' (but what is the basis for such confidence?) or I should be concerned about it.

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Demas, there are certainly different wave lengths happening here.

If I understand you correctly, you are doubting that you will have (at some point in life) the ability to will to choose the Good.

Hate to say it, but the whole thing about having will-power as a human made in the image of God, is that we do have to make choices all the time between good and evil, between God and not-God.

So, you will always have the option of choosing to turn to God.

Secondly, God loves all and desires all to come home and turn to God. God will bend over backwards to try to get through to us. And here's where the Holy Spirit comes into the equation. That anyone turns towards God is the work of God in that person's life/psyche/heart.

To be worried about whether one will ever have the will to be able to turn to God is therefore to my mind something akin to missing the wood for the trees...

And even so: there is an old maxim which occurs in many spiritual writers - the very fact you are worried that you might not be able to turn to God presupposes a fundamental desire that turning to God is at least a possibility. By which desire you are already (through the impulse of the Holy Spirit) on the "turning to God" path.

It's the old prayer that when one feels one cannot love God, the very prayer to be given the grace to desire to love God is an action of love for God - or at the very least, tends in that direction and shows the true motivation of the heart.

And as Mousethief has said, tending towards God is all that is required. (And everything that is required... [Ultra confused] )

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
That anyone turns towards God is the work of God in that person's life/psyche/heart.

This is one of the issues, I think.

Does God work in everyone's heart/life/psyche to turn that person to God?

If not, then we have Calvinism.

If so, than either everyone turns to God (in which case God's aim has been acheived) or some people have the power to reject God and do so (in which case God's aim has been frustrated).

If I am able to reject God's work in my heart and not turn to God, then we are back where we were - what sort of people would reject God? Isn't this just a roundabout way of saying that wicked people (that is, people more wicked than you and me) go to hell? If some people do not turn to God, how can I know that I am not one of those people? My salvation remains up to me because there is a critical component that is my doing, not God's - my choosing to accept or reject God's work in my heart.

If I am not able to reject God's work in my heart then we have answered the original question - God will not allow anyone to go to hell.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mean, it doesn't get much simpler than the question:

Do you do something, or do you not?

If you do, then the better people make it to heaven and the lesser people end up in hell.

If you don't, then either God chooses to save all or chooses to save some or chooses to save none.

Nobody likes any of these choices, usually. So we come up with all sorts of elaborate ways of describing some vaguely described, unintelligible, mysterious middle-ground. And when pressed to hard, it's "Well don't question God--you're asking the wrong questions anyway, God's ways are above our ways, just trust Him/Her."

Seriously, no offense is meant to anyone on this thread or anywhere. I'm just describing a trend as I see it, even in myself and my closest friends. I don't see another way around the issue than how Demas is describing it, even if he is doing so a bit ungraciously from time to time... [Biased] (We all get worked up from time to time, especially about the things we care deepest about!)

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I am not able to reject God's work in my heart then we have answered the original question - God will not allow anyone to go to hell.

Thus we here will have refuted every religion on earth.

Haven't we established that of all Christian religions, only Unitarian Universalists hold to this position. Maybe someone can suggest others. Quakers?

It is an undeniably attractive position. Universal salvation. So why aren't there more universalists? [Confused]

[ 06. January 2006, 08:28: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Stanley Cohen who did a very detailed examination on the 20th century genocides, found that the vast majority of people in certain situations are capable of appalling brutality. The slaughter at My Lai reinforces this. Indeed my conviction for many years has been that on the wrong day and in the wrong context, I would be no less likely to behave in appalling ways than anyone else.

I very much agree with this. All of us are capable of acting in appalling ways. Certain situations will bring this out in virtually everyone.

We all know, however, that these situations, and our reactions to them, are different for everyone. We can learn to not to act in appalling way. We do not just accept the fact that soldiers will rape and murder when given half a chance. We express outrage. We insist that things be done to reduce the chances of that happening.
quote:
So this whole idea that humanity can be divided into the loathsome and the not loathsome – as you put it Freddy – I regard as naïve and contradicts much of what Jesus was about. Indeed many of those he mixed with were the loathsome of his society

Jesus mixed with people who were downtrodden, disrespected, and considered sinners. They were willing to hear Him and He taught them repentance.

There is not a page in the gospels, however, where Jesus does not condemn wickedness and those who perpetrate it. Maybe you could find a chapter in the gospels where Jesus does not do this.

Jesus is clear that He loves everyone, that He desires to gather everyone to Him, even that He will "draw all peoples" to Him (John 12.32). At the same time, it can't be said that He didn't divide humanity into "wicked" and "righteous." There are many passages about it, but here is one:
quote:
]"31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left....46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25.31-46
Is Jesus not suggesting here that there are "good" people and "bad" people?
quote:
Now that Matthew verse and why I can’t get close to buying your take. I accept the second half of the Matthew verse can be read as meaning ‘good people go to heaven’, but it makes little sense when put with the first part. If we put the two together the problem is clear.

"No one is good but One, that is, God. Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell.” The only way I can make the second part work with the first part is if the second part is a corrective of the first part, which I don’t think you are arguing.

I assume that you understand the context.

A man asks Jesus, calling Him "good teacher", how to attain eternal life. Jesus corrects Him, saying that only God is good. He is making sure that the man understands that people can't accurately be said to be good. He is also implying that the man is talking to God.

Jesus then tells the man to keep the commandments. When the man says that he has done this, Jesus tells him to sell all he has. This selling can be interpreted a number of ways, but most of those ways don't negate Jesus' words about keeping the commandments. Nor does Jesus' corrective - that only God is good - negate them.

I would think that we would want to explain Jesus' words in a way that is consistent with what He says elsewhere. There are many places where He effectevely says that the "good" are saved and the "wicked" are not.
quote:
"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie." Revelation 22.12-15

"For unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of the heavens." Matthew 5:20.

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12.35

"At the completion of the age angels will go forth and separate the wicked from out of the midst of the righteous." Matthew 13:49.

"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'" Matthew 7.21-23

"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love." John 15.6-10

Do you have ways of re-explaining each one of these. There are similar statements on every page of the gospels.
quote:
My belief that Jesus was probably saying something profound here is a weakness in my position I grant you. I am perhaps making too much of a presumption - he could of course have been as crass as those who interpret the verse as meaning ‘good people go to heaven’ seem to be assuming.

By "profound" do you mean that He was saying that "although you are not good, you will nevertheless be saved." I agree that this would be profound. I also agree that He says things similar to this, such as that He will draw "all peoples" to Himself. I don't think, though, that He ever suggests that both the wicked and the righteous are saved. Maybe you have some examples.
quote:
In the end your determination to defend hell leads you to insist on humanity being divided into the loathsome and not, and then blurring the line for the next life.

If you read what is written on this Ship in Purgatory, or in Hell, virtually every thread is about correcting what people consider to be harmful understandings or behaviors. This thread is a good example.

In Hell, here on the Ship, this correcting behavior can be so vehement that you would think that lives hung in the balance. Yet this is just a recreational discussion board with no relation whatsoever to people's actual lives, except in terms of learning and advice.

I don't find it hard to believe that disagreements about these things can continue in the next life, or that the harm caused by what is "wrong" persists there. I don't see this as "blurring" any lines. Evil causes harm, and this harm persists as long as evil persists. The greater the harm, the more unhappiness it causes, and therefore the deeper the hell it inhabits.

It would be great to think that eventually everyone's ideas and actions can be "corrected", bringing everyone into the state of happiness that comes with loving God and the neighbor. I actually have my own version of this belief.

But if God can't bring us to agreement and harmony on this Ship, what makes you think that it can happen after death? [Biased]

[ 06. January 2006, 09:39: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is an undeniably attractive position. Universal salvation.

Yes, it's attractive.

But knowing what we do about human nature, is it really more attractive than a position that says we go to Heaven, but they (for pretty much any value of "they" you like) are damned?

After all, with universalism you have to accept that even your worst enemies, even those who would happily persecute, enslave or execute you, are as heaven-bound as you are. Quite a difficult position to hold, I would say...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
It is an undeniably attractive position. Universal salvation.

Yes, it's attractive.

But knowing what we do about human nature, is it really more attractive than a position that says we go to Heaven, but they (for pretty much any value of "they" you like) are damned?

After all, with universalism you have to accept that even your worst enemies, even those who would happily persecute, enslave or execute you, are as heaven-bound as you are. Quite a difficult position to hold, I would say...

Good point. It is so nice to think that the bad guys will get their just desserts. [Biased]

Isn't the movie industry practically built on this concept? [Paranoid]

So both sides have their attractions.

In fact I expect that people could hold both positions at once: "I will be saved no matter what I do, but you are a sinner and will be damned." [Two face]

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Jesus mixed with people who were downtrodden, disrespected, and considered sinners. They were willing to hear Him and He taught them repentance.

There is not a page in the gospels, however, where Jesus does not condemn wickedness and those who perpetrate it. Maybe you could find a chapter in the gospels where Jesus does not do this.

No, no, no, Freddy. There is now NO condemnation in Jesus Christ. I don't think he condemns anybody. Think about the woman who is about to be stoned. "No one condemns you? Then neither do I condemn you." Condemn, in the New Testament, seems to suggest "physical death." That's an interesting way to look through the verses on condemnation.

quote:
Jesus is clear that He loves everyone, that He desires to gather everyone to Him, even that He will "draw all peoples" to Him (John 12.32). At the same time, it can't be said that He didn't divide humanity into "wicked" and "righteous."
So apparently Scripture alone isn't going to give us a definitive answer, huh? [Biased]

quote:
I would think that we would want to explain Jesus' words in a way that is consistent with what He says elsewhere. There are many places where He effectevely says that the "good" are saved and the "wicked" are not.
And yet there are many places where he says "Neither do I condemn you" or where he withholds his judgment from prostitutes and tax collectors while speaking out against the people who were very righteous in their deeds (Pharisees and scribes). So though we all would want to explain Jesus' words in a way that is consistent with what He says elsewhere, it's probably more accurate to say that we'd want to explain Jesus' words in a way that is consistent with what we already believe. [Biased]

quote:
Do you have ways of re-explaining each one of these. There are similar statements on every page of the gospels..
As well as dissimilar ones. And yes, I've re-explained most of those several times on this and other threads (for those who haven't been following along.)

quote:
I also agree that He says things similar to this, such as that He will draw "all peoples" to Himself. I don't think, though, that He ever suggests that both the wicked and the righteous are saved..
Well, I think "all peoples" would be all people. So as long as wicked people are still people... (I'm just giving you a hard time, Freddy--it's early in the morning here.)

quote:
But if God can't bring us to agreement and harmony on this Ship, what makes you think that it can happen after death? [Biased]
Well let's hope that the actual presence of God is at least a little more impacting than our beloved Ship here! [Biased]

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

No, no, no, Freddy. There is now NO condemnation in Jesus Christ. I don't think he condemns anybody. Think about the woman who is about to be stoned. "No one condemns you? Then neither do I condemn you." Condemn, in the New Testament, seems to suggest "physical death." That's an interesting way to look through the verses on condemnation.
I agree that Jesus loves everyone, and that He actually condemns no one. He does however, speak about it quite a bit in the gospels, unless I am misinterpreting His words.

I'm not sure that the word "condemnation" in the New Testament is used to suggest physical death.

Here are some passages where Jesus uses the term:
quote:
Matthew 12:37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here.
Matthew 23:14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
Matthew 23:33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?
Mark 3:29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation
Mark 16:16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven
John 3:18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 5:29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

I don't think that any of these would indicate physical death. Jesus is said to have been "condemned" when He was crucified, so there is an example.

Elsewhere, He uses the word "perish" - a word that normally means physical death:
quote:
Luke 13:3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.
Another term He uses is "cast out":
quote:
Matthew 8:12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Matthew 13.41 The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.
Matthew 22:13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Matthew 25:30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!
John 15:6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

Don't these show that Jesus does speak quite plainly about condemnation? It is true that He does not condemn the woman taken in adultery. I would guess that we would all agree with Him in the context. He does seem to blame her accusers, however, which, I understand, was the meaning of His writing on the ground.

As far as I can see, every single chapter in the New Testament praises goodness and criticizes wrong-doing. Sometimes it is put more strongly than at other times, but it is always present.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Hey Freddy-

My comments on condemnation were sort of a quick aside, as the topic could easily fill another 10-page thread. But now that I've said them, I feel that I have a duty to make an attempt to back them up to some degree. [Smile]

The greek word for condemn attributed to Jesus most often is katakrino. I looked it up. You know what it means? "To condemn." Not too illuminating.

But what does "condemn" even mean? Dictionary.com says "to impose a penalty on; especially : to sentence to death."

Considering that the Jewish thinking at the time was probably dominated by the idea that Death was the ultimate end or ultimate evil for humans, physical death would have been punishment enough for any of Jesus's rhetoric. (Even though the Pharisees believed in a resurrection, I'm pretty sure they believed in a physical resurrection which would actually reverse the effects of Death).

So to look at your verses, there is the theme of Judgment and then the theme of Condemnation. Judgment appears to be the act of deciding the guilt of a person. Condemnation seems to be the act of judging a person and finding them guilty.

Greater condemnation would point to the punishment of death, probably, in case Jesus's listeners were hoping for a lighter sentence.

To me, it simply illustrates the point, over and over, that if you wish to be GOOD, you must follow these commands. If you break them, you cannot claim to be good. If you want to get yourself into the Kingdom of God (on earth, not post-death, IMO) your righteousness must EXCEED that of the Pharisees, and yet, as you've quoted, these very Pharisees will receive "greater condemnation" for they are a brood of vipers! How will they escape the condemnation of hell? (And then, supposedly, how will any of us?)

Yes, this theme seems to fill up the whole of the gospel. Why? Because Jesus knew how much repetition it would take to even begin to drill it in our heads (which is evidenced by the fact that we STILL don't quite get it, and we still try to get ourselves into the Kingdom of God). Jesus's message for us would be quite the same, I think.

And the Good News, at the end, is that when you finally realize that you can't possibly attain a righteousness as great as Jesus' demands, when you're being chased by a pack of angry mobsters who wish to condemn you and you truly recognize your own guilt, when you find that you ARE condemned because you ARE found guilty...

Jeshua. (God saves.)

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
And the Good News, at the end, is that when you finally realize that you can't possibly attain a righteousness as great as Jesus' demands, when you're being chased by a pack of angry mobsters who wish to condemn you and you truly recognize your own guilt, when you find that you ARE condemned because you ARE found guilty...

Jeshua. (God saves.)

Digory,

OK. I guess that is one plausible way to see it. Another way is to imagine that Jesus is urging us to believe in Him and do as He teaches.

I don't see anything in there about being condemned if we are not perfect. Jesus seems very tolerant of less-than-perfect people, such as the prostitutes and publicans, but quite judgmental about those who do not believe, who are cruel, who are self righteous and self-seeking.

Still, I see the point. Maybe that is the real message.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
I don't see anything in there about being condemned if we are not perfect. Jesus seems very tolerant of less-than-perfect people, such as the prostitutes and publicans, but quite judgmental about those who do not believe, who are cruel, who are self righteous and self-seeking.

Okay, so we have the less-than-perfects (LTPs) and the the self-righteous self-seekings (SRSSs).

If Jesus is tolerant of the LTPs, but judgmental toward the SRSSs, then what is he pointing out? Perhaps a belief, like you say, but certainly not good deeds or actions, right? The LTPs were actively living in "sin" while the SRSSs were following all of the rules, so to speak.

So what's the belief? What did the LTPs believe about Jesus? That he would save them, despite their sin, despite their social status, despite their unbelief at times. (Think of the centurion, the Canaanite woman, etc.) He sent away the man who asked "What must I DO to be saved?" with yet another demand--there are always more demands that we must fulfill to gain our own entrance into the Kingdom. But he asked the wrong question--when people calmed down and sat with Jesus, ate with him, or even just showed they believed in his saving power despite who they are or what they'd done, he told them--

"You have great faith."

That seems enormously profound to me.

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Okay, so we have the less-than-perfects (LTPs) and the the self-righteous self-seekings (SRSSs).

If Jesus is tolerant of the LTPs, but judgmental toward the SRSSs, then what is he pointing out? Perhaps a belief, like you say, but certainly not good deeds or actions, right? The LTPs were actively living in "sin" while the SRSSs were following all of the rules, so to speak.

Except that they weren't following the rules. His accusations in Matthew 23 alone include such things as:
  • 1. "they say, and do not do. 4 For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
  • 2. But all their works they do to be seen by men.
  • 3. “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.
  • 4. For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
  • 5. For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
  • 6. Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
  • 7. For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
  • 8. Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
  • 9. I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city,
As far as I can see, Jesus is not saying that the Pharisees follow the rules but deeds are unimportant. He is saying that they are hypocrites. They live wickedly while appearing righteous. They did not follow God's actual rules.

Jesus does not only advocate belief, either. He remonstrates against those who "believe" but do not act.

The "sinners" who hear Jesus do not represent the idea that living in sin is unimportant. Rather, their hearing Him testifies that we sinners can hear Him, change our ways, and sin no more.

He came to call sinners to repentance.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

I certainly, most definitely, unequivocally see your side of the argument, Freddy. It is the most sound version of the "Hell exists" gospel I have ever heard, for what it's worth for me to say so.

As long as you and others can see the other side as a possibility that can be derived from scripture, as opposed to being just a hopeful doctrine of wishful thinking with no scriptural or traditional foundation, then I am at least satisfied. After all, I'm still working all of this out myself, in large part to my conversations with you, Joyful, Demas, Jolly, PaulTH* and others. So for that, thanks. [Smile]

(Now to watch my TiVo'd season premiere of "The Book of Daniel." It seems like it will be fascinating...)

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
As long as you and others can see the other side as a possibility that can be derived from scripture, as opposed to being just a hopeful doctrine of wishful thinking with no scriptural or traditional foundation, then I am at least satisfied.

I absolutely do see what you are saying as a possibility that can be derived from Scripture. It is not an unreasonable possibility. It may be the way it actually happens. It is great to read what others think about this.

--------------------

Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm only recently come on board, and confess I have not read right through this thread. However, I note the topic is "will God allow anyone to go to hell?"
Surely any creature with free will can refuse finally to accept love; and in a sense the fire of hell is the love of God experienced by those who reject it.
It used to be taught (at least by benevolent Jesuits) that Hell exists but we do not know if there is anyone there. However, it would be devastating to find oneself at the end as the only inhabitant.
If the saints are those who have shown heroic virtue, the damned (if any) must be those who have shown heroic corruption.
As the priest said to his fearful sister in Graham Greene's "The Living Room"
"Teresa, we are not big enough for Hell. Hell is for the very great."

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016