homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell?
MaryO
Shipmate
# 161

- Posted      Profile for MaryO   Author's homepage   Email MaryO   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come to think of the "particular judgment" after death as the Timeless Ohnosecond (google for a computing definition). In that event, God shows you EVERYTHING about your life, and your sins.

If at that point your reaction is something repentance-centered like "Lord have mercy--what have I done?" you go on to Heaven's suburbs. If your reaction is more along the lines of "Yeah, so? It's all about me" then you stay where you are. (Obviously, this isn't spatial or temporal as we understand those concepts this side of the grave.)

But I could be wrong.

MaryO

--------------------
Hanging around off and on since 2001.

Posts: 349 | From: New York City | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
Hmm. I don't know if we could repent hell - that was Professor Kirke's illustration. (mommy, he started it!) Honestly, I wish it were the case that we could repent in hell. Maybe it is. Or maybe hell doesn't exist. For me, looking at the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus told by Jesus doesn't indicate the possibility of repentence in hell. The story has a great ending for Lazarus but a very sad ending for the Rich Man. Maybe Jesus didn't finish the story?

When Jesus told that story He spoke of sheol or hades (the grave) and not Gehenna (the place of eternal burning, the "lake of fire" in Revelation 20). In the end, hell itself is cast into the lake of fire. How seriously do we take a passage like that?

This is one of those places where I think we're better off seeing that God, as King of the Universe, is Righteous Judge as well as loving Father - and we actually have some input into the decision whether we are treated as errant children who need help or treasonous rebels who need dispatching. IT COULD BE that the possibility of repentance in hell exists - but I would not want to hold out that hope to anyone, lest they say, "well, I can always repent later," but never get the opportunity.

The right response? IMHO, Psalm 95 gives it to us:
O come, let us sing for joy to the LORD, Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.
For the LORD is a great God And a great King above all gods, in whose hand are the depths of the earth, the peaks of the mountains are His also.
The sea is His, for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land.
Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.
For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand.
Today, if you would hear His voice, do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the wilderness, "When your fathers tested Me, They tried Me, though they had seen My work. For forty years I loathed {that} generation, And said they are a people who err in their heart, And they do not know My ways. Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest."

eep!

There is no wisdom in hardening our hearts now, hoping they will be softer, later. God is not mocked *and* He is trustworthy - hell was created for the devil and his angels and if people end up there as well, it will not be for the lack of trying on God's part. He was willing to die on a cross for us - there's not much more we can ask.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:
I know that it has been removed from one of the creeds that the UMC uses, but isn't there a tradition about Christ descending into hell? The harrowing of hell?

I am not at all familiar with the issues around this idea, but I took it as a way of saying that the salvation offered by God in the person of Christ transcends death--that people who were not saved in this life still have the option to accept the salvation that God desires for them.

Paul expounds on the meaning of Psalm 68:18 ("You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive; You have received gifts among men, Even from the rebellious, That the Lord God might dwell there.") in Ephesians 4 (vss 8-10 specifically) - and that brings you into the physics of immortality: how does time work in hell? Has Jesus *already* preached to the dead and taken captivity captive? Or is that event outside of the space-time continuum that we're locked into, so that even people who have not yet died are in the crowd which Jesus addresses?

It may well be the case that, upon death, we enter another time stream and people who have rejected Him here will have an opportunity to hear Him firsthand in sheol and alter their eternal position. But I don't find anything to confirm that interpretation and revoke every other view - thus, I take the more "conservative" (as in "less risky") position and strongly encourage people to choose now.

If the Holy Spirit draws you, respond - don't wait for another opportunity. And, since it is God who woos us and saves us, isn't this all moot? Is this just a discussion so we can feel "good" about having a merciful God who would never send anyone to hell? Isn't His mercy toward us sufficient evidence of that already?

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:
This is one of those places where I think we're better off seeing that God, as King of the Universe, is Righteous Judge as well as loving Father - and we actually have some input into the decision whether we are treated as errant children who need help or treasonous rebels who need dispatching. IT COULD BE that the possibility of repentance in hell exists - but I would not want to hold out that hope to anyone, lest they say, "well, I can always repent later," but never get the opportunity.

I think, in my opinion, that this is the wrong approach. "You might get a chance later, but just in case you don't, you should probably just do it now!"

I think that if we encourage people on to pursue the truth of God, they'll find it. "Seek and ye shall find" etc. So, in that light, if you believe that God's nature seems to be saying that he will save everyone, I do not think it is damaging to make that suggestion.

The point of making meaningful decisions in this life is not to secure your future in the next. Our decisions here affect us here, and affect others here, and assist in bringing the Kingdom of God (whatever you believe that means) to earth.

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<struggling to eat enough porridge to send the tokens to Mousethief> [Help]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C S Lewis, in his allegory of hell "The Great Divorce" tried to tackle the problem of the sympathy of the saved for the unsaved - that is, if your child was in hell, how could you be happy in heaven, and, even more so, how could a God of Love be happy while many of his children suffer?

His argument was:
quote:
That sounds very merciful: but see what lurks behind it.... The demand of the loveless and the self-imprisoned that they should be allowed to blackmail the universe: that till they consent to be happy (on their own terms) no one else shall taste joy: that theirs should be the final power; that Hell should be able to veto Heaven.

I think here that Lewis does not refute the universalist charge, as he intends, but makes it stronger.

How can we say that we can finally condemn ourselves to eternal punishment, an absence of God? That is to demand that our will be allowed to stand in the way of God's triumph, that we be allowed to veto God's plan and cause God to suffer, that, as Lewis says, Hell should be able to veto Heaven.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the great divorce but I understood this passage differently. I thought CS Lewis was saying that no one in heaven would be unhappy that the ones they loved were in hell because there is so much joy in heaven that no misery or sorrow can fit.

Let me continue this same passage that Demas was quoting from the Great Divorce:

quote:
I know it has a ground sound to say that ye'll accept no salvation which leaves even on creature in the dark outside. But watch that sophistry or ye'll make a dog in a manger the tyrant of the universe.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think (and I am going on my own presumptions, quite arrogantly!) that Demas was saying that though Lewis SAID what you quoted him as saying, his point would necessitate that no one would end up in hell. That would seem to be the way that no one in heaven would have to wait in order to have joy.

But wouldn't true joy and love hold within it the patience to wait for those who have not yet been made complete for whatever reasons?

-Digory

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
I think (and I am going on my own presumptions, quite arrogantly!) that Demas was saying that though Lewis SAID what you quoted him as saying, his point would necessitate that no one would end up in hell. That would seem to be the way that no one in heaven would have to wait in order to have joy.

But wouldn't true joy and love hold within it the patience to wait for those who have not yet been made complete for whatever reasons?

-Digory

I know what Demas was saying and that is one way to look at it. Or perhaps it is as Lewis wrote...that the suffering in hell cannot compete or quench the joy of heaven.

This is my opinion on the Great Divorce and God knows I don't know what was going through Lewis's mind - but I had thought especially with the references to choice:

quote:
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell.

[italics are originals]

I guess this could come back to the original point that sometimes some people make choices and God lets them chose.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

With this point I would tend to agree with you, Joyful. You're right about what you're saying about Lewis.

Something else about the Great Divorce is how it seems to suggest that any who are in hell can also choose to leave at any time.

That is something that makes more sense to me--those that choose to remain in hell must always choose to remain there. As long as they do, they will continue to be separated from God.

-Digory

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

PS I am trying to compile an exhaustive list of scripture passages that support the concept of hell. Anyone know of a good list online or anything like that?

-Digory

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Ack, I'm very sorry about this who's right or wrong business. I don't want to be caught up in who has the Right™ interpretation of Lewis or the bible because I think there's something I miss when I'm only trying to prove that I'm right. There is a large scope to Lewis and I'm sure I only see a portion of it. And the bible is also such a rich book like German chocolate cake. There's so much I can learn from you ProfessorKirke and Demas and I really appreciate dialoguing with you and all the others about this curious afterdeath (?) experience.

[cross posted]

[ 15. November 2005, 03:45: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
I don't want to be caught up in who has the Right™ interpretation of Lewis or the bible because I think there's something I miss when I'm only trying to prove that I'm right.

Yes, exactly. When I said I thought you were right about what you were saying about Lewis, I meant you were right to point out that Lewis could've meant either thing. Who knows? Good show. [Smile]

quote:
There's so much I can learn from you ProfessorKirke and Demas and I really appreciate dialoguing with you and all the others about this curious afterdeath (?) experience.

I can teach you how to make one sentence take the form of eight paragraphs. That's one of my special gifts. [Biased]

-Digory

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
I can teach you how to make one sentence take the form of eight paragraphs. That's one of my special gifts. [Biased]

-Digory

Heh - I know that trick. I didn't go to uni for nothing, you know.

[eta code]

[ 15. November 2005, 03:57: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

I've been thinking about The Why people may form different perspectives and interpretations regarding the a) existence of hell and b)who (if any) goes there. I think that these are fundamental.

I guess my understanding is that everyone misses the mark of perfection and so is unable to be in the presence of God. Not simply because it is verboten (or forbidden) but because the imperfect cannot last in the substance or presence of God - because he is Holy, Perfect, Almighty, Righteous, Divine. From what I gather from the Hebrew scriptures and the Epistles, God is so brilliant and powerful no can come close to describing his presence. Ezekiel sounds like he's on magic mushrooms. John keeps on falling down. Moses's face starts to radiate. And so forth.

Hence, Jesus comes in so that we won't be scorched and actually can enjoy God's presence.

So, my take on this is that afterdeath we are in for some serious scorching by virtue of our imperfection. The tricky bit is that God doesn't like that. I gather he thinks heaven will be lonesome with just him and all the angels. Or, rather he kind of likes us cause he made us and actually wants to be with us and doesn't want us to burn, burn, burn. So, he comes up with a plan. " How about I transform their imperfection into perfection?"

IMO, this is a great idea. Apparently, God thought it was a great idea too. So, from what I gather, this is what Jesus calls "being born again" because "I tell you the truth no on can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son" (john chapter 3).

So, personally, just looking at my own life and the selfishness that exists - I just know that its not good. Its definately not good enough for heaven. I do (maybe this more of personal thing) understand that my sin does merit being in hell. I don't have a problem with being condemned to hell. But I am grateful that God offers me a choice of transformation. That I can chose to allow God to change me and transform me. But I'm not so certain that this transformation from death to life would take place without choosing to following Christ and enjoying his presence.

Hence, I can see that is possible for those who do not want to follow Christ or enjoy his presence to end up being scorched after death.

There are some criticisms that this interpretation is too narrow. Meaning - that it is true that our imperfections separate us from God - but Jesus died and so all - regardless whether they believe in him - are still saved and will not experience the torment of the darkness. My disagreement with this argument is because I believe that people chose their own destiny in one way or the other (hence Lewis's quote: "only two people. Those who say to God, 'Thy will be done' and those who God says, 'Thy will be done'").

Another criticism is: namely, why limit access to salvation merely during this lifetime and not the next? IE, isn't God's mercy great enough to encompass repentance after one's death with all those barriers that are present during this lifetime?

I don't have an answer to that criticism. One comment I might pose is that I don't see evidence in scripture that suggests such repentance is possible. I did mention earlier that Jesus talked about the Rich Man and Lazarus and there was no after-death repetance.

I have a hard enough time believing that there is something after death. If there's an afterlife, great. If there's no afterlife, that's great too. I'm grateful enough to have experienced a small portion of God's love on earth and to know a bit of his transformation in my life.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
I think, in my opinion, that this is the wrong approach. "You might get a chance later, but just in case you don't, you should probably just do it now!"

I think that if we encourage people on to pursue the truth of God, they'll find it. "Seek and ye shall find" etc. So, in that light, if you believe that God's nature seems to be saying that he will save everyone, I do not think it is damaging to make that suggestion.

The point of making meaningful decisions in this life is not to secure your future in the next. Our decisions here affect us here, and affect others here, and assist in bringing the Kingdom of God (whatever you believe that means) to earth.

-Digory

I agree with so much of what you're saying here (in terms of emphasis, live righteously and seek truth here) that to disagree seems like quibbling - but, OTOH, isn't that sort of what this ship is for?! I'm not sure that it *IS* God's nature to save everyone - I know God is love, in a much more profound understanding of the word than any of us have. But I also know God is not sentimental. And I also know Jesus spent a fair chunk of time warning people to make decisions that will secure their future in the next world, and even the quality of our future in the next world. I wonder to what degree our dismissal of that as a motive (even secondary or tertiary) is a little hell-inspired ("You don't want to be MERCENARY about this! A decision made in fear is a poor decision," etc.) - I'm not arguing that is the case, but I do wonder.

I can think of two reasons why God wipes our tears away in heaven: one is that we see so clearly, from that perspective, and we see so much more we might have done for the kingdom (remember the end of "Schindler's List"? that kind of thing, on a much bigger scale); the other is that we grieve the ones who made the opposite choice - and God doesn't allow hell to blackmail heaven, so He wipes away our tears and allows us to see from His perspective.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
I'm not sure that it *IS* God's nature to save everyone - I know God is love, in a much more profound understanding of the word than any of us have. But I also know God is not sentimental. And I also know Jesus spent a fair chunk of time warning people to make decisions that will secure their future in the next world, and even the quality of our future in the next world.

Hi Lynn. I'm working on compiling an exhaustive list of the times Jesus (or other scripture, for that matter) does just this, rather, seem to support hell with something he says.

Could you suggest a few places for me, that you were thinking of or referring to?

quote:
I wonder to what degree our dismissal of that as a motive (even secondary or tertiary) is a little hell-inspired ("You don't want to be MERCENARY about this! A decision made in fear is a poor decision," etc.) - I'm not arguing that is the case, but I do wonder.
In all fairness, I have to concede this point. Part of my belief that there may be no hell is grounded in a desire to not have to preach such, to me, evil sounding theology, and to in some ways coerce people to think just like me or believe just like me about things that we cannot really be sure of.

It's important to remember our motivations, to be sure. I spend enough time pointing out other people's that I am content with conceding my own. [Smile]

-Digory

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Let's suppose you were walking along the side of a river - one you cannot wade or swin across and there are no boats or materials to build a raft available.

On the other side of the river, some 5 miles down, your son/daughter. They are in grave danger - it seems obvious to you that death is imminent, but you believe you can prevent it. (Don't ask how, that is irrelevant).

Now, you know that there is a bridge across just ahead, but it is unstable, and may collapse if you were to try to cross it. However, you have no idea where the next crossing is, if there is one at all between here and your son/daughter.

Do you cross? Or, do you stay on this side and take your chances?

Now, let's say someone tells you "Sure, it will hold. Turst me. I have crossed it myself." Now, do you cross?

If you have a chance, why not take it? Especially if there may not be another?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Let's suppose you were walking along the side of a river - one you cannot wade or swin across and there are no boats or materials to build a raft available.

On the other side of the river, some 5 miles down, your son/daughter. They are in grave danger - it seems obvious to you that death is imminent, but you believe you can prevent it. (Don't ask how, that is irrelevant).

Now, you know that there is a bridge across just ahead, but it is unstable, and may collapse if you were to try to cross it. However, you have no idea where the next crossing is, if there is one at all between here and your son/daughter.

Do you cross? Or, do you stay on this side and take your chances?

Now, let's say someone tells you "Sure, it will hold. Turst me. I have crossed it myself." Now, do you cross?

If you have a chance, why not take it? Especially if there may not be another?

I understand your argument. The reason that I disagree is because I don't see it as someone trying to save their son/daughter but rather as they are trying to save themselves from a danger that they do not know exists, and in doing so, the "bridge" they must cross may or may not hold them, and it may in fact bring hurt to others (ie the way we talk about hell and damnation and how it alienates others and excludes them and makes them to believe that their loved ones may be burning for eternity when we do not in fact KNOW if this is the case).

In that circumstance, I may begin to question if I may be quite safe on my side of the river already, especially if some are saying the bridge holds but others are saying there's no danger--whose experiences do I trust more?

It's a tough question, and obviously not a perfect metaphor. I can't say I know the answer.

-Digory

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear LynnMagdaleneCollege

Personally I believe that St Paul was a universalist. In addition to the links already provided, I would suggest a look at this. It seems to me as if Paul believed in the ultimate reconciliation and resurrection of the whole created order. That is certainly my view.

God's creative Wisdom is in a perpetual state of sacrifice for His beloved creation, that sacrifice brought to us on Calvary, where Christ broke the chains of death imposed on creation at the Fall. As Paul says, the wages of sin is death , not eternal punishment. That accords with his Jewish background. The idea that a disembodied soul lives on in a spiritual realm gained ground in the church due to Platonism, it has nothing to do with Jesus or Paul.

This menas that the final resurrection to judgement is a resurrection of the dead. I don't for a moment say that there is no judgement nor that the consequences of this are not servere, but I remain convinced that justice demands remedial punishment, not eternal punishing, and the lovingkindness demands reconciliation of all sentient and probably all other creatures. When God raises us from the dead it will be to a new creation free from the laws of corruption of which sin forms such a big part.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"But, as already noted, Jesus was quite implicit that there is a "darkness.. where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth". That doesn't sound like a place I'd really want to go..."

When looked at another way, "darkness" and the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" are terms full of redemption.

We cannot be saved until we confront and grieve through our anger at God. This grieving must allow anger ("gnashing of teeth") and depression ("weeping") in addition to the other stages of grief. Finally, all come to "acceptance" and all become "saved". Meanwhile, for remedial purposes we may have to suffer in darkness. Even the fire of God is redemptive, never punitive:

"Such is the mercy of God that he will hold his children in the consuming fire of his distance until they pay the uttermost farthing, until they drop the purse of selfishness with all the dross that is in it, and rush home to the Father and the Son and the many brethren--rush inside the center of the life-giving fire whose outer circles burn." George MacDonald

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
As Paul says, the wages of sin is death , not eternal punishment.

It may be that Paul was a universalist; I can't manage to reconcile his writings to it myself-- (for example 1 Cor.6:9-11)

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I don't read that as saying ALL such persons have been washed, sanctified, and justified by Jesus - but that may be MY limitation. I would point out that in Rev. 20:14 Hades and death are thrown into the lake of fire - so how it all works out in the end will be how it all works out in the end, and I daresay we will all be surprised by something!

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is this; Jesus spoke about hell in this way:

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."
Matthew 25 v 41

The significance of that verse is deafening, especially in the context of our discussion.
It says to me that not only is hell 'everlasting', but that if the devil is placed there it must be a place where there is no redemption, no rehabilitation, no grace. But most significantly of all, that it is not the originally intended destiny of human beings - it was prepared for the devil and his angels.

Does this not shed a whole new light on the gospel of salvation? That because men are needlessly heading for a destiny that God never created them for, Jesus died to rescue/save them from this fate? Therefore, it's not a question of people being sent there - that's not God's intention at all. The Gospel is the good news of rescue before that day when death seals the decisions made in life.

BTW in that passage the word for 'everlasting/eternal' - as in everlasting punishment and eternal life - is the same. Therefore whatever chronology there is (or isn't) in heaven is the same chronology as there is in hell; and whatever 'quality' or 'character' is heaven, is similar in hell. ie if heaven is eternal because of its being filled perfectly with God, then hell is eternal in the opposing way.

That also speaks of no change in either place, and no transference from one to another.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be careful in looking for a literal map of the afterlife in the parable of the sheep and goats if I were you; that is, unless you want to embrace an entirely works-based sotierology...

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And if you want to praise God by saying 'Baaaa-aaaa-aaa.' forever. Can I be a Moufflon? Or a Soay? And if it has to be a goat, one of them Chamonix?

[ 16. November 2005, 10:23: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Demas:
quote:
unless you want to embrace an entirely works-based sotierology...

I don't see this. I don't think you can import these Pauline assumptions into the parables.The whole "works" thing, it seems to me, is predicated on a misunderstanding of the demands of God's justice, and of justification. It always strikes me, for instance, that the people who had "done this for one of the least of these", in that parable, seem to place no trust at all in their works, and seem as surprised that they are 'saved' as the "Lord! Lord!" bunch are that they aren't. (I always thought that that was where Luther got James wrong. There are things we are required to do. Faith - and "faith in faith" - requires that we do them just as much.)

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will God allow anyone to go to hell - begs the question - Will God force everyone to to go to Heaven?

Unless you are a Calvinist and believe in Irresistable Grace can you say that people who reject God in life will not be allowed to go on rejecting him in the afterlife?

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
Will God allow anyone to go to hell - begs the question - Will God force everyone to to go to Heaven?

Unless you are a Calvinist and believe in Irresistable Grace can you say that people who reject God in life will not be allowed to go on rejecting him in the afterlife?

This was the original question posed by JoyfulSoul which started this thread in the first place. Again, I'll simply say:

If I see you unconscious on the ground, should I say to myself a) I'll let him lay there and probably die, b) I'll do my best to try and save him, and c) I wouldn't want to force him to live without giving him a choice, so I will ask him, and if he doesn't answer, I will let him lay there.

Even in our stubborn refusals I believe there is an element of what CPR calls "implied consent".

-Digory

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is this; Jesus spoke about hell in this way:

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."
Matthew 25 v 41

The significance of that verse is deafening, especially in the context of our discussion.

Look at this passage, expanded just a bit.

quote:
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

Have any of us ever seen a homeless person and not given them some food and drink? Ever not invited them into our homes? Ever NOT given them some clothes?

Hell is going to be very full (of us all) if we take this verse as literally as this.

-Digory

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Demas:

quote:
I would be careful in looking for a literal map of the afterlife in the parable of the sheep and goats if I were you; that is, unless you want to embrace an entirely works-based sotierology...
This is the point I tried to make earlier in this thread. All of Jesus' warnings against everlasting hell are to do with works or lack of them. As I have said on other threads, I dispute that what we translate as everlasting in our Western Bibles means that to the original Greek writers. But it is Paul and not Jesus in the synoptic tradition who is the champion of salvation by grace. The ideas just don't mix. neither do I agree that the passage from I Corinthians denies Paul's status as a universalist because he also wrote:

"For as in Adam ALL die, so in Christ shall ALL be made alive!. (I Cor 15.22)

I see no break in a coherant theology. Adam's sin is imputed to the whole human race, hence death. Christ's righteousness is also imputed to the whole, hence eternal life.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"For as in Adam ALL die, so in Christ shall ALL be made alive!. (I Cor 15.22)

I see no break in a coherant theology. Adam's sin is imputed to the whole human race, hence death. Christ's righteousness is also imputed to the whole, hence eternal life.

I see - if you're in Adam you die...

The 'in Adam' bit must mean if you are descended from him, related to him, part of the human race, somehow involved in human existence. It must mean that by being descended from him, we share in his guilt. Yes, I see the logic.

Now, let's extend that logic to the next bit - 'so in Christ all shall be made alive...'

Hmmm, 'in Christ'. What would be the connection here then? We are not biologically related, we're not even racially similar. What could 'in Christ' mean? Paul certainly says that ALL who are in him will be made alive, but I fail to see how everyone is automatically in Christ in the same way that by common humanity they are in Adam.

I wonder if PaulTH can enlighten.
Just what is the relationship to Jesus that the entire world has that makes us all 'in Christ'?
I understand that by birth I am 'in Adam', but I wonder just how I come to be 'in Christ'?

[ 16. November 2005, 15:43: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

universalist
Shipmate
# 10318

- Posted      Profile for universalist   Author's homepage   Email universalist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"All shall be made alive in Christ"

I think this simply means that we all belong to God, and as such, we all share somewhat the "divine image" within us. This holy image may be buried under a lot of sin and defense, but it is still there. That's why Paul said that the "call of God is irrevocable". God only answers to himself, and will do so eventually with regard to each of us...

Concerning "hell". All of God's punishments are remedial in nature, never punitive. Whatever "hell" is, it must also be redemptive, for every knee shall finally bow in worship of God (never forced: how could God care anything about that?).

But notice the fundamentalist view of Hell:

God created a place in order to punish his enemies forever and ever: a place of eternal suffering.

But each of us, far less good than God, would never consign our incorrigble children to suffer endlessly. What manner of distorted reasoning thinks that God would torture HIS enemies forever? (while asking us to forgive ours).

In so many ways, our doctrines seem to point to a monstrous God...

Posts: 66 | From: portland oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

Dear Mudfrog

Whether you like it or not, the New Testament can be used both to "prove" eternal damnation and it can be used to prove universal salvation. Now I, as a universalist try to explain away the damnation texts or try to find a way of minimising their severity. This is because I passionately desire the salvation of all creation.

Now you do the opposite. You ignore or try to rationalise quite explicit texts which say that all will be ultimately be reconciled to God. But surely you don't do it for the opposite reason, ie that you positively relish in the thought that most of humanity is damned. I don't suggest this of you, but I have met countless Protestants who do that very thing. The teaching in Scripture is equivocal. We can interpret it how it sits best with our passions.

My passion is that ALL will be saved. It seems from what you write here that you positively want that strait gate to be as strait as possible and only include people such as yourself.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by universalist:
Concerning "hell". All of God's punishments are remedial in nature, never punitive. Whatever "hell" is, it must also be redemptive, for every knee shall finally bow in worship of God (never forced: how could God care anything about that?).

God created a place in order to punish his enemies forever and ever: a place of eternal suffering.

So I think the idea of hell needs to be revised.

My belief is that after death we come into a world like this one and live lives like we lived in this world.

One difference is that our true natures are more evident in that world, and so over time we will group ourselves according to our true natures. In this world we associate ourselves with other people according to our professional dictates and the various interests and obligations we have. In the next world these will be superceded by our more fundamental interests.

Heaven and hell are nothing more than the relatively pleasant or unpleasant lives that are the natural result of these associations.

There are no eternal punishments. There is only the relative degrees of happiness that are inherent in our freely chosen paths.

Pretty much the same applies to this world. I don't think that the next life is all that different. The biblical descriptions are not meant to be taken literally.

I think that it is counterproductive to think of people as being "cast into hell." I think the truth is that people just live their lives, and that some ways of living are more joyful than others.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

Originally posted by Freddy:

quote:
Heaven and hell are nothing more than the relatively pleasant or unpleasant lives that are the natural result of these associations.

Dear Freddy

You've posted these ideas before, but I've never fully understood them. Is this pleasant or unpleasant life people find before and after death in any way interchangeable? can anyone on the wrong end get themselves a place at the good end?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

quote:

Dear Freddy

You've posted these ideas before, but I've never fully understood them. Is this pleasant or unpleasant life people find before and after death in any way interchangeable? can anyone on the wrong end get themselves a place at the good end?

Yes. The trouble is that for various reasons it is harder to do this after death.

I apologize for repeating myself on this. But I really do think that people's limited ideas about what heaven and hell are lie at the root of our problems here.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freddy - the problem that I have with your way round this problem (and yes I do think it is an attempt to get *round* the problem) is that the way you try to make hell more palatable is by making it into a slightly disappointing package holiday. And heaven into a slightly less disappointing holiday.

In the end it doesn't seem to fit with any concept of judgement. And it smacks of desperation. For Jesus to use such strong language - hyperbole? - about a divine Thompson's holiday seems bizarre.

Incidentally, I have a lot of sympathy with Paul TH's position. Which, whilst it isn't entirely problem free it seems to have a lot less problematic than most of the other answers articulated here.

Luigi

[ 16. November 2005, 20:48: Message edited by: Luigi ]

PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

Dear Freddy

As you know Christian teaching is that on death, the die is cast. Those who go to eternal bliss reside with God in eternity. Those who missed it go to outer darkness or the fires of hell where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth Eastern Christianity uses differnt terminology, but its rejects have no more hope, because there, they will come fully into God's presence, buit experience His love

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Whatever "hell" is, it must also be redemptive, for every knee shall finally bow in worship of God (never forced: how could God care anything about that?).

Never forced? I'm curious what do you make of this:

quote:
"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground. (John 18:5-6)
Do think all these Roman soldiers chose to fall down before Jesus?

quote:

Maybe I'm not a fundamentalist(though I think I believe in hell), but I think God's character is a little different. I think that enduring God's presence is either heaven or hell for people. So, it would be eternal suffering for some and eternal glory for others. It's the same presence (a burning fire) but the experience is different.

quote:
But each of us, far less good than God, would never consign our incorrigble children to suffer endlessly. What manner of distorted reasoning thinks that God would torture HIS enemies forever? (while asking us to forgive ours).

I don't see it as consigning. God wants to shine light into us. I believe it will be torture for some and pleasant for others.

quote:
In so many ways, our doctrines seem to point to a monstrous God...

For you, yes. For me, no. I cannot put God in box. He doesn't seem to fit.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Whether you like it or not, the New Testament can be used both to "prove" eternal damnation and it can be used to "prove" universal salvation.

<snip>

The teaching in Scripture is equivocal. We can interpret it how it sits best with our passions.

I see no reason to add anything presently because I do not feel that I could say anything better than this.

Thanks, Paul.

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
Freddy - the problem that I have with your way round this problem (and yes I do think it is an attempt to get *round* the problem) is that the way you try to make hell more palatable is by making it into a slightly disappointing package holiday. And heaven into a slightly less disappointing holiday.

In the end it doesn't seem to fit with any concept of judgement. And it smacks of desperation. For Jesus to use such strong language - hyperbole? - about a divine Thompson's holiday seems bizarre.

Luigi,

It only sounds like I'm trying to get around this problem because I am writing in response to it.

What I'm trying to convey is a more realistic idea of the next life than the charicature that Christians typically envision.

Anyone with a belief in life after death must realize that it takes place in a spiritual, not a material or natural, existence. Everything about that existence, then, is determined by the nature of spiritual, as opposed to natural, substances and phenomena.

It's not as if we know nothing about spiritual things, if we have a belief in the Bible. Many places in Scripture speak of such things as "treasure in heaven" and that people must become like children to go there. We know what they mean. We know what spiritual things are. They are internal, as opposed to natural or physical, qualities.

In a world that is spiritual "there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known" (Matthew 10:26).

What is so hard about envisioning a world based on internal qualities? Isn't it obvious how such a world, where internal qualities are visible, facilitates "the judgment"?

And if you think through what would happen in that arrangement, where people retain their basic character from this world, and separate themselves according to this basic, and now visible, character, it seems to me that this explains everything important about the nature of heaven and hell.

What Jesus said was not hyperbole. It was a way of explaining the realities of spiritual life to people who were both simple and materialistic. I guess I'm making it sound like a disappointing holiday to get away from thoughts of flames and pokers.

So is it really that hard to envision a spiritual world without just thinking of airy forms drifting in nothingness? Isn't it clear that the laws of a spiritual world would be strikingly different from those of this world? [Confused]

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
I see - if you're in Adam you die...

The 'in Adam' bit must mean if you are descended from him, related to him, part of the human race, somehow involved in human existence. It must mean that by being descended from him, we share in his guilt. Yes, I see the logic.

Now, let's extend that logic to the next bit - 'so in Christ all shall be made alive...'

Hmmm, 'in Christ'. What would be the connection here then? We are not biologically related, we're not even racially similar. What could 'in Christ' mean? Paul certainly says that ALL who are in him will be made alive, but I fail to see how everyone is automatically in Christ in the same way that by common humanity they are in Adam.

For me, this is the point - not all are "in Christ." This is the basis for the call to evangelize, first to Jerusalem, then Judea, and then all the world. If all are already in Christ, why evangelize? I read an urgency in Jesus' words - consider John 17:9, in the midst of this massive prayer from the heart of Christ, He says "I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours."

Jesus does imply a lot of people in hell and a few in heaven, if choosing the narrow path and the narrow gate is what gets you into heaven (after all, He says He is the gate, the way, the door - He's pretty explicit).

This is hard and I don't know anyone personally who takes pleasure in the hard teachings of Jesus (the stereotype of the fundamentalist who wants to see "sinners" burn in hell is, in my experience, a false stereotype; maybe I've just been lucky and have only met fundamentalists more focused on grace than damnation). I certainly don't read any of Mudfrog's posts as taking satsifaction that people will be going to hell.

Maybe I've said it before in this thread (!!), but I don't see the "downside" of believing a straightforward reading of scripture, in this regard. If I believe hell is a real threat and I therefore share with more passion because I don't want to see friends, family, or folk in general wind up damned, how is that a problem? But if I speak soothing words and say, "don't worry about it, Jesus' death on the cross covers you whether you ever agree with Him or not," and I'm WRONG, I've done them a hideous disservice (and possibly brought their blood down on my head, depending on how much Ez.33 applies to us today).

In grappling with the "once saved, always saved?" question, my brother-in-law said something wise, I think: "We're better off living as if we could lose our salvation," and I think this is a place where we're better off believing hell is a real possibility. I do not see the upside of disbelieving (other than it being more comfortable! and hey, I like comfort - I'm BIG on comfort).

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
For me, this is the point - not all are "in Christ." This is the basis for the call to evangelize, first to Jerusalem, then Judea, and then all the world. If all are already in Christ, why evangelize?

In Christ, all our saved.
Go into all the world and make disciples.

We have traditionally linked up "salvation" and "discipleship." Looking back on it, I'm not sure they are equivalent. In which case, "evangelism" as we know it is somewhat misguided. That's something I've thought for a long time, actually--if only God can save/change hearts what exactly was I trying to do?

quote:
Maybe I've said it before in this thread (!!), but I don't see the "downside" of believing a straightforward reading of scripture, in this regard. If I believe hell is a real threat and I therefore share with more passion because I don't want to see friends, family, or folk in general wind up damned, how is that a problem? But if I speak soothing words and say, "don't worry about it, Jesus' death on the cross covers you whether you ever agree with Him or not," and I'm WRONG, I've done them a hideous disservice (and possibly brought their blood down on my head, depending on how much Ez.33 applies to us today).

In grappling with the "once saved, always saved?" question, my brother-in-law said something wise, I think: "We're better off living as if we could lose our salvation," and I think this is a place where we're better off believing hell is a real possibility. I do not see the upside of disbelieving (other than it being more comfortable! and hey, I like comfort - I'm BIG on comfort).

The downside to simply saying "we might as well be safe" is that we chance maintaining a very inaccurate concept of God. I understand that any theology is at risk of this by nature, but this only emphasizes my need to act on what I believe to be true rather than on what will be "the safest choice."

What if Christianity is wrong, and really Islam was right, and so your sharing is actually condemning people to hell? It's a possibility just like the others that we mentioned (regardless of which possibility seems more likely to you, they are still both possibilities). That shouldn't stop you from sharing if sharing is really what you believe you should do. But you can see how quickly the "let's just share to be safe" idea breaks down...

In fact, I think it's quite detrimental to go around living like we can lose our salvation. Quite a bit of unnecessary pressure and guilt that doesn't originate from the God I know, if you ask me.

-Digory

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:
The downside to simply saying "we might as well be safe" is that we chance maintaining a very inaccurate concept of God. I understand that any theology is at risk of this by nature, but this only emphasizes my need to act on what I believe to be true rather than on what will be "the safest choice."

You make some very good points in your post, and I agree with you about the error of thinking "making converts" and "making disciples" is the same thing, but I don't see where you get "we might as well be safe" from my "share with more passion" statement. I have *never* in my life said, "we might as well be safe! Accept Jesus now because better safe than sorry!" I have said, "I'm afraid that Hell is a real place and I'm afraid that you're headed there - you want to talk about it?!" and I get a variety of answers.

And I daresay we all have an inaccurate view of God - how could a finite human being have an accurate view of an infinite God?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Dear Mudfrog

Whether you like it or not, the New Testament can be used both to "prove" eternal damnation and it can be used to prove universal salvation. Now I, as a universalist try to explain away the damnation texts or try to find a way of minimising their severity. This is because I passionately desire the salvation of all creation.

Now you do the opposite. You ignore or try to rationalise quite explicit texts which say that all will be ultimately be reconciled to God. But surely you don't do it for the opposite reason, ie that you positively relish in the thought that most of humanity is damned. I don't suggest this of you, but I have met countless Protestants who do that very thing. The teaching in Scripture is equivocal. We can interpret it how it sits best with our passions.

My passion is that ALL will be saved. It seems from what you write here that you positively want that strait gate to be as strait as possible and only include people such as yourself.

So you can't offer a commentary on the 'as in Christ' text then.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:

You'll find such commentary all over the place if you look, Mudfrog. For a start you could read the chapter excerpt from the book The Inscapable Love of God that I mentioned before on this thread.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
In Christ, all our saved.
Go into all the world and make disciples.

We have traditionally linked up "salvation" and "discipleship." Looking back on it, I'm not sure they are equivalent. In which case, "evangelism" as we know it is somewhat misguided. -Digory [/QB]

Wait a minute, just look at the verse:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father ...."

And you say that this making disciples has nothing to do with conversion? What's the baptism for then?

"Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
(Mark 16 v 16)

So, not 'all' are in Christ, evidently. Certainly not those who don't believe and/or are unbaptised.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

You'll find such commentary all over the place if you look, Mudfrog. For a start you could read the chapter excerpt from the book The Inscapable Love of God that I mentioned before on this thread.
I was actually asking PaulTH about his seeming unwillingness to engage on the meaning of the text and his response to me. I had looked at the text regarding being 'in Adam' and 'in Christ' and asked him for his interpretation, which he chose not to give.

Perhaps he couldn't give one.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was actually asking PaulTH about his seeming unwillingness to engage on the meaning of the text and his response to me. I had looked at the text regarding being 'in Adam' and 'in Christ' and asked him for his interpretation, which he chose not to give.

Are you interested in the underlying discussion or in scoring points off PaulTH?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you interested in the underlying discussion or in scoring points off PaulTH?
I think the fact that I presented a reasoned argument shows that I am interested in the discussion. I was expecting a reply along the same lines. It's difficult playing a tennis match when the return serve is a table tennis ball!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016