homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell? (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Will God allow anyone to go to hell?
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
I know the consequences, I know how to avoid them. When I choose not to exercise, I know what I'm going to get for it, but I just don't care.

That's very far away from being told that if I don't do this or that or this other thing, I will end up in hell after I die. "How do you know?" I ask. "Well, I just believe that you do because that's how I interpret the Bible. Oh, and by the way, there are about seven million different possible ways to avoid hell, and only one that will work. Hope you pick the right one, like I did!"

- Can hell exist and will God allow people to go there?

is substantially different from:

-who goes there and how does one avoid going there?

I was trying to work through the first one.

quote:
It's just not similar to earthly consequences at all, neither in foreknowledge nor severity.

Hmm. I have many thoughts about this. None of them organized.

[eta: stuff]

[ 08. December 2005, 18:39: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
quote:
I know the consequences, I know how to avoid them. When I choose not to exercise, I know what I'm going to get for it, but I just don't care.

That's very far away from being told that if I don't do this or that or this other thing, I will end up in hell after I die. "How do you know?" I ask. "Well, I just believe that you do because that's how I interpret the Bible. Oh, and by the way, there are about seven million different possible ways to avoid hell, and only one that will work. Hope you pick the right one, like I did!"

- Can hell exist and will God allow people to go there?

is substantially different from:

-who goes there and how does one avoid going there?

I was trying to work through the first one.

Excellent point. So, God may allow people to go to Hell by nature of their choices leading to consequences, desired or not. I could agree with this, if the consequences were clearly laid out and the choices were made freely.

And in working out the second one, for me, I come to the conclusions that no, the consequences are not laid out clearly, and the choices we make are not free. We are slaves to sin.

So that's my further take on the subject. But like I said, good point. [Smile]

quote:

quote:
It's just not similar to earthly consequences at all, neither in foreknowledge nor severity.

Hmm. I have many thoughts about this. None of them organized.
You must anticipate my next question then, right? Out with it!

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, God may allow people to go to Hell by nature of their choices leading to consequences, desired or not. I could agree with this, if the consequences were clearly laid out and the choices were made freely.

And in working out the second one, for me, I come to the conclusions that no, the consequences are not laid out clearly, and the choices we make are not free. We are slaves to sin.

So that's my further take on the subject.

My take on Christianity/Jesus/God/the Bible/the Law/OT etc& et...

is freedom and restortation/wholeness and for a lack of better word - beauty of discovering the Creator of the Universe.

Sin inhibits freedom and restoration & etc. And I agree with you - we are slaves to sin.

quote:
the choices we make are not free. We are slaves to sin.

This where I disagree with you. I believe we can make choices. I'm not a Calvinist - in the sense that I believe we are somehow intrinsically evil and fore-doomed to one destination or another without any choice or say in the matter.

I believe that while we are all slaves to sin, we are simultaneously allowed to make choices contrary to it. How else could you explain non-Christians being selfless and charitable and Christ-like - even when they are still "non-believers" and "slaves to sin"? An athiest I know is actually quite kind and considerate and generous and selfless and does noble deeds. He does not believe in any god and openly rejects Christ outright, yet is still able to manage being selfless and thoughtful and kind.

So I don't buy the argument that says that we are complete and utter robots without any choice but sin and so are not responsible for our actions and thoughts etc. I believe that the divine image that God placed in us and helps us make better and noble choices as human beings.

quote:
no, the consequences are not laid out clearly

I don't know if I agree with that statement.

Across most cultures, general morals are consistent: don't steal, don't take someone else's woman, don't murder, don't lie... etc. There are very few societies where lying and thievery and murder and canabalism are an acceptable social and moral norm and those societies tend to disentigrate and die out.

I think people know and are additionally instructed by others (and society) that certain actions are not acceptable and are harmful.

I don't know how we can think that our actions exist in a vaccuum when we can see (most of the time)that they certainly don't. No man is island and etc.

Should we do the right thing only because someone is going to whack us with a big stick? Should we be soley motivated to do good things out of fear? I guess the early Puritans and Jonathon Edwards believed that.

I know in the OT, in the book of Joshua - God was like, "I'm going to level with you, kids. Do good and I'll bless the socks outta ya. Do bad and I'm going to bust you big time and your life will really suck. So do good, ok?"

The consequences were really,really clear and that didn't really work, either.

I guess maybe that is why in parable Jesus was like, "And if they didn't believe Moses and repent - they won't even believe if someone comes back from the dead to help them."

quote:

Maybe that's a matter of interpretation, no?

quote:

<sigh> My psychic abilities have diminished. I'm afraid I can't.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
the choices we make are not free. We are slaves to sin.

This where I disagree with you. I believe we can make choices. I'm not a Calvinist - in the sense that I believe we are somehow intrinsically evil and fore-doomed to one destination or another without any choice or say in the matter.
Honest question: do you really honestly think that if you got to heaven, whatever that is, and you had hated God on earth and not wanted anything to do with him but he'd saved you anyway, that once you truly and fully understood all of who God was and all of what his presence really meant, that you'd feel sleighted and "fore-doomed"?

quote:
I believe that while we are all slaves to sin, we are simultaneously allowed to make choices contrary to it. How else could you explain non-Christians being selfless and charitable and Christ-like - even when they are still "non-believers" and "slaves to sin"? An athiest I know is actually quite kind and considerate and generous and selfless and does noble deeds. He does not believe in any god and openly rejects Christ outright, yet is still able to manage being selfless and thoughtful and kind.

So I don't buy the argument that says that we are complete and utter robots without any choice but sin and so are not responsible for our actions and thoughts etc. I believe that the divine image that God placed in us and helps us make better and noble choices as human beings.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. But if we are slaves to sin, then it certainly has a fair amount of power over our decisions, right? Some people would say that even THAT is our own fault--that we've chosen to be slaves to sin. I don't think the Apostle Paul thought that though (how many people choose to be slaves?). So if we're not responsible for our slavery, which affects our decisions, then how can those decisions be truly pure?

As Jolly Jape usually points out in a really neat (I think) way, if God removes our sickness, we're free to be who we were always meant to be, at which point I don't see there being any choice in the matter, free will or not! I've said this before: some choices aren't choices. Like, do you want a million dollars or to have pencils jammed in your loved ones' eyes**? The superiority of an option doesn't negate the freedom of the choice.

**Apologies if this example was a bit graphic. I went for the "shock value" device...

quote:
quote:
no, the consequences are not laid out clearly

I don't know if I agree with that statement.

Across most cultures, general morals are consistent: don't steal, don't take someone else's woman, don't murder, don't lie... etc. There are very few societies where lying and thievery and murder and canabalism are an acceptable social and moral norm and those societies tend to disentigrate and die out.

The sociologist in me just awoke. Is this really because everyone has the same internal moral compass, or because over thousands of years people finally figured out that if you don't limit things like thievery and murder, your society will tend to disintegrate and die out?

Causal relationships are so tricky.

quote:
I know in the OT, in the book of Joshua - God was like, "I'm going to level with you, kids. Do good and I'll bless the socks outta ya. Do bad and I'm going to bust you big time and your life will really suck. So do good, ok?"

The consequences were really,really clear and that didn't really work, either.

Yes, and here is where my mind really starts spinning fast. See, I think the consequences were made and the rules drawn out so clearly so as to be a hyperbolic rhetorical device for God to demonstrate to all of the world, through the Hebrew people, what it's like to try to do it on our own! And you're right, JS, it does not work at all. But we want it to work so badly, and God knew that, so he gave us a few thousand years of a chance. When he finally feels that we've had a sufficient display of how we just will never get it right with the Salvation-by-Law thing, he fills Mary with Grace, who was born to the earth as God's free gift to the whole world. I know you like choice, humans. I know you like feeling like you're in control. But when you ARE in control, you destroy everything, including yourselves, and your headed for some bad, bad destruction. So here's what I'm going to do--I'm going to wipe it all clean and save you all, and you can either start living like that now, or you can go on living like you're in control, and like you can do it all by yourself like you really want to. It's up to you, but until you start living like you are free and forgiven (as you really truly are), you won't ever get the Kingdom of God here on earth, where it is, and where I have brought it.

Something like that. (With many obvious holes, clearly. [Biased] )

quote:
quote:

Maybe that's a matter of interpretation, no?
Well, of course it is. But my interpretations have something all the other ones lack--they're right. Clearly. [Killing me]

quote:
quote:

<sigh> My psychic abilities have diminished. I'm afraid I can't.
Haha I thought this was a dangerous way of putting it. Sorry! All I meant was that you said you had many thoughts on the matter. So my next question, not-so-obviously, is "what are these thoughts?" Out with it! was my cry for the thoughts of Joyful Soul's mind! [Biased]

-Digory

[ 08. December 2005, 22:32: Message edited by: professorkirke ]

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LynnMagdalenCollege:
*looks up* - I realize I mis-stated that - actually, I speak French like a 6-year-old and just enough Italian to find the toilets and buy food... sorry, off-topic but a valid correction nonetheless! It's *English* of which I only have a late 20th century mastery...

If you phrase your Italian like you just phrased this English, people may look at you sideways when they think you are looking to buy food from the toilets...

[Biased] [Yipee] [Razz]

This is such a serious topic, I don't feel too guilty being "light" for a moment! First trip to Italy my ex (who learned turn-of-the-century Sicilian from his nona) kept asking for the "bahghousa," the word he knew for "toilet" - finally the penny dropped and he realized THAT was his grandmother's thick accent attempting to say "Back house" (out-house)!!! Discovered the same thing about "isabogazuh" - "ice box." You want the toilet, you want "il gabinetto" (spelling? we don't need no stinkin' spelling!).

But yeah, if you can get coffee & wine & pizza, a place to sleep & the key to your room, and find a toilet at need - you got it mostly covered...!

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
I am having a very interesting conversation with an Orthodox Christian. The God he worships is not the one I reject. At all.

I'm glad of it. Blessings on your journey.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Honest question: do you really honestly think that if you got to heaven, whatever that is, and you had hated God on earth and not wanted anything to do with him but he'd saved you anyway, that once you truly and fully understood all of who God was and all of what his presence really meant, that you'd feel sleighted and "fore-doomed"?

I cannot honestly answer that question because I cannot conceivably imagine personally hating God.

But I can imagine someone not giving me a choice. And yes I would feel like a deceived robot foredoomed.

quote:
So if we're not responsible for our slavery, which affects our decisions, then how can those decisions be truly pure?

As Jolly Jape usually points out in a really neat (I think) way, if God removes our sickness, we're free to be who we were always meant to be, at which point I don't see there being any choice in the matter, free will or not!

I can see that we have different understandings regarding this matter. In my view, choice is crucial. I think God values choice. He doesn't want to overwhelm us - he wants faith. I don't completely get the whole thing - but from what I gather, he desires trust in doubt. I think he values free will (meaning to choose to do right or wrong)...a lot.

quote:
I've said this before: some choices aren't choices. Like, do you want a million dollars or to have pencils jammed in your loved ones' eyes**? The superiority of an option doesn't negate the freedom of the choice.

Apologies but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I feel the portion in bold supports my interpretation - but I'm not clear how you are using it.

quote:
**Apologies if this example was a bit graphic. I went for the "shock value" device...

No worries. [Biased]

quote:
The sociologist in me just awoke. Is this really because everyone has the same internal moral compass, or because over thousands of years people finally figured out that if you don't limit things like thievery and murder, your society will tend to disintegrate and die out?

Causal relationships are so tricky.

Isn't still a truth whether an individual discovers it on his/her own and/or society at large appreciates the value of it.

quote:

Maybe that's a matter of interpretation, no?[/qb][/QUOTE]Well, of course it is. But my interpretations have something all the other ones lack--they're right. Clearly. [Killing me] [/qb] [/QUOTE]

Perhaps this is what the whole thing boils down to - we have a disagreement over:

1) free will
2) value of choice in eternal destinies

[eta code]

[ 09. December 2005, 06:01: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of the day, I believe God is trustworthy. I read scripture and it seems pretty clear to me that He judges people according to the light they've received - so those who are blind are simply not held to the same standard of accountability.

It's about you (each of us, individually, by the grace of God) working out your salvation with fear and trembling (I've been told recently that the Greek term for "working out" is like a mining term, "dig it out - the vein is there, expose it" and that helped me). You can't work out anybody else's. You can't look at somebody else's situation and say, "God, you're not fair!" (then you head into Job territory - don't wanna go there!) - it really boils down to each one of us being real and faithful to God as He has made Himself known to us.

As for being slaves to sin, isn't that what Paul is trying to sort through in Romans 7 (well, so much of Romans! not just chapter 7) ??

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
But I can imagine someone not giving me a choice. And yes I would feel like a deceived robot foredoomed.

I guess for me, I liken it to someone who's been knocked unconscious and is lying on a raft heading for a waterfall. Perhaps they made some bad choices, like drinking too much and getting on a raft, but I don't think the person would feel the way you've described if someone rescued them without their permission. Heck, this is why we talk people out of suicide, right? We feel like the choice they are making is bad for them and is probably not the choice they really want to make. And most times, it's true. Our choices are so much more complex than just the surface of "Let them get what they've chosen because that's what they wanted."

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by professorkirke:
I've said this before: some choices aren't choices. Like, do you want a million dollars or to have pencils jammed in your loved ones' eyes**? The superiority of an option doesn't negate the freedom of the choice.

Apologies but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I feel the portion in bold supports my interpretation - but I'm not clear how you are using it.
Well, I was kind of speaking to the complexity of our choice again here. In my rather graphic example, you could imagine that no one would choose the worse choice if they understood the choice perfectly. But the fact that everyone would choose one of the choices doesn't mean the choice itself is not free. So the fact that once everyone understands the choice, they all will choose heaven and none will end up in hell would not mean it was suddenly an unfree decision.

quote:
Perhaps this is what the whole thing boils down to - we have a disagreement over:

1) free will
2) value of choice in eternal destinies

It's probably a little bit about (1) free will and probably even more about (3) definition of choice or understanding of what choice is.

But still, it's a good discussion. [Smile]

-Digory

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So the fact that once everyone understands the choice, they all will choose heaven and none will end up in hell would not mean it was suddenly an unfree decision.

I don't think anyone would have any hesitation about choosing Heaven over Hell, if it was indeed such a straightforward choice with no other consequences.

If, on the other hand, that choice would entail changes to one's personality, it may become more difficult. And it would. I know I have elements of my psychological make up that, while not in any way Heavenly, are nonetheless so much a part of me that I can't concieve of being without them.

To use a (probably very ill-concieved) analogy, it would be like knowing that no-one in heaven had arms. Now I may know at the theoretical level that I'd be better off just accepting those terms, but it sure wouldn't be a straightforward decision to get rid of them!

Of course, you may make the argument that any such "unHeavenly" personality traits we have are a result of our slavery to sin, thus by the time the choice is to be made they would already have been removed. It's a complicated issue, this, isn't it [Ultra confused] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Yeah, Marvin, it really is!

There's also the option that the traits that you are attached to that you perceive as "bad" are only "bad" because of how they relate to earthly circumstances. Perhaps in a heavenly world, those things aren't recognized as harmful?

-Digory

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

I'm going to respond to your thoughts in a backward order. Apologies - I wrote my last reply when I was tired and today I realized it didn't really make much sense or come across clearly.

quote:
It's probably a little bit about (1) free will and probably even more about (3) definition of choice or understanding of what choice is.
You put it in much better words than I.

[warning: The below stuff is how I've (mis???)interpreted your view. I'm just trying to sort through stuff and this is how it appears to me and I totally know that I probably don't still have it right. ]

It seems to me, that the idea that people's wrongful actions that have detrimental consequences is appalling to you. You don't find this view palatable or perhaps you find it inconsistent with experience or even at odds with theology.

So in order to address this - all that is necessary to avoid the negative consequences - is to say that we are slaves to sin and so not held accountable at all for any actions or choices we make.

People are simply like robots and cannot be held responsible for the choices they make. Since God cannot be unjust - he cannot allow the consequences to take place of something that we did not choose in the first place. So, our response is to acknowledge this (we all will someday before God) and God has made a way for his grace to cover our sin.

I have issues with this interpretation of human behavior/sin/free will. I think that people do have free will - that they can make choices (for good or for evil). And because we are able to make these choices, we can be held responsible for them.

I'm not sure if our views can be resolved??? How can we make sense of this if you don't believe we have free will and thus can't be held responsible for our choices and I hold the opposite interpretation?

I think that maybe one option out of this stalemate is to question if any of the choices we make are truly free? I'm not sure if I have a response to that question, yet.

quote:
Well, I was kind of speaking to the complexity of our choice again here. In my rather graphic example, you could imagine that no one would choose the worse choice if they understood the choice perfectly.

What you are suggesting is that all bad choices are simply a result of some sort of information failure issue. I disagree. How many people have chosen to have an affair knowing full well the potential havoc and damage that could ensue? I have known a few people who have confessed (to other things) that they knew full well the possible damaging outcome yet decided to do it anyway. It was not the case that the information (namely – pain and wrongness of the choice) was absent at all.

quote:
So the fact that once everyone understands the choice, they all will choose heaven and none will end up in hell would not mean it was suddenly an unfree decision.

I think we all understand the choice between heaven and hell. I don’t think is the case that someone truly wants hell (misery and suffering). Full information does not guarantee anything though.

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joyfulsoul,

I agree with just about everything you say here.

Digory,

You write:
quote:

I agree with Joyfulsoul that virtually everyone understands the basic choice. Most people abide by society's basic requirements of decency, and most people know with great precision what makes a person a "jerk".

At some point, however, understanding becomes a matter of intention. Without the interest no amount of evidence is meaningful.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Don't worry at all that you're being offensive or anything. Honestly, I'm still working through my own beliefs on these matters, which is why I enjoy the discussions here so thoroughly. It may not seem like we'll ever arrive at the Answer™, but we'll keep hammering out and sculpting our own beliefs about it, which is great enough for me!

quote:
It seems to me, that the idea that people's wrongful actions that have detrimental consequences is appalling to you. You don't find this view palatable or perhaps you find it inconsistent with experience or even at odds with theology.

This is a pretty fair assessment. However, I don't find it appalling that there are detrimental consequences to wrongful actions. Rather, I think it's quite terrifying and, as you say, inconsistent with my experience of God and my reading of tradition and theology to suppose that God will apply eternal, infinite, solely punitive punishment with no rehabilitative function whatsoever for our mistakes, which by very nature can only be finite and based on a less than perfect understanding of the way things are (see below for more on this last part).

quote:
So in order to address this - all that is necessary to avoid the negative consequences - is to say that we are slaves to sin and so not held accountable at all for any actions or choices we make.
Semi-Spoiler Alert!

I saw The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe last night. If you've seen it, or read it, you know how Edmund makes a bad mistake and does something very wrong, and is supposed to pay for it. But Aslan, the King, doesn't make him pay for it--he isn't held accountable for his wrong deed except that Aslan himself holds him accountable, without any need of some punitive system. In fact, Aslan himself completely breaks the system of punitive accountability, and the most stunning part is that Edmund never once asked to be rescued.

[END SPOILER]

It's one thing to say that you aren't held accountable for your actions. It's quite another thing to say that God needs a hell to hold people accountable, and that his love and nature alone isn't enough to do so, simply by illuminating the Truth of the situation through gentle but firm and powerful meeting.

quote:
People are simply like robots and cannot be held responsible for the choices they make. Since God cannot be unjust - he cannot allow the consequences to take place of something that we did not choose in the first place. So, our response is to acknowledge this (we all will someday before God) and God has made a way for his grace to cover our sin.

I have issues with this interpretation of human behavior/sin/free will. I think that people do have free will - that they can make choices (for good or for evil). And because we are able to make these choices, we can be held responsible for them.

Here is where you misunderstand me, though. I DO believe in free will, I do! I do! [Smile] We're not robots, we're slaves. Or like I said, if you end up unconscious on a fast-moving raft, maybe you shouldn't have been drinking so much before getting on this raft? [Biased] We all have choices we make, and there are consequences. But what is the point of God protecting our free will at all costs so he can rob us of it as soon as we meet death? At the very point where we become most like ourselves (as Jolly talks about) and fully realize the nature of the choices we have, at that point our choice is revoked and we are forced to live with the eternal consequences of only our pre-death choices?

Not that you, or Freddy, or anyone here really believes this because I know some people have said that they feel people will have choices after death and still choose hell. That they will continue to choose hell, forever, some of them. I can at least see this argument a little better, but it seems to be just as inconsistent with the biblical view of hell re: Lazarus/Dives, etc. And even further, I just don't see how we will make a choice for hell once we are fully aware and seeing things clearly As They Truly Are.

quote:
I'm not sure if our views can be resolved???
Perhaps not, but that doesn't have to be the goal. [Smile]

quote:
quote:
Well, I was kind of speaking to the complexity of our choice again here. In my rather graphic example, you could imagine that no one would choose the worse choice if they understood the choice perfectly.

What you are suggesting is that all bad choices are simply a result of some sort of information failure issue. I disagree. How many people have chosen to have an affair knowing full well the potential havoc and damage that could ensue? I have known a few people who have confessed (to other things) that they knew full well the possible damaging outcome yet decided to do it anyway. It was not the case that the information (namely – pain and wrongness of the choice) was absent at all.

<snip>

I think we all understand the choice between heaven and hell. I don’t think is the case that someone truly wants hell (misery and suffering). Full information does not guarantee anything though.

Okay. I think (could be wrong) that what you and Freddy are both suggesting is that no matter how much evidence a person has, it won't necessarily change the decision. Those are more Freddy's words than yours, Joyful, but I think it's kind of what you are saying in this above portion I've quoted. And I'm saying--I agree.

Evidence is what we have on earth to replace understanding, since we can't have understanding here. Somebody had an affair knowing full well the consequences--did they? Or did they know what other people's consequences typically tend to be? That's what evidence is, looking around at what's happened before and assuming it'll happen again, or looking at what we know and trying to use it to deduce things we don't know or don't fully understand. We use it here in a broken and sick world to try to make sense of things. But in a perfect, timeless place where we are stripped of our sickness and allowed to become the core of who we really were, where we can fully and totally see and comprehend our choices, this is not evidence!

I don't believe someone would have an affair once they could fully become someone else and experience their pain firsthand, in order to fully understand it, and to fully understand how their choices are negatively affecting someone they so very love. And that's another thing--here we don't really truly LOVE. We try so hard sometimes but our love is cracked and imperfect, too. But in a place where we could fully love, would we cheat? I don't think so--I don't think it was ever who we were meant to be.

Let me reiterate--that's not making us robots or robbing us of choice. It's illuminating our true desires. If God thought we were capable of discerning what our true desires were, why would he have had to assure us to "Trust in the Lord with all your mind soul and strength and he will give you the desires of your heart." You may not "like" what you get, but when you trust him, you realize it was what you really deeply truly wanted.

So no, evidence is worthless in affecting a decision most times. It typically enacts selfishness and self-preservation. But true understanding? I think that's totally different.

(I know I'm all over the place here towards the end---I just got carried away a bit. Sorry! [Smile] )

-Digory

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just catching up on this thread.

PK:
quote:
When he finally feels that we've had a sufficient display of how we just will never get it right with the Salvation-by-Law thing, he fills Mary with Grace, who was born to the earth as God's free gift to the whole world. I know you like choice, humans. I know you like feeling like you're in control. But when you ARE in control, you destroy everything, including yourselves, and your headed for some bad, bad destruction. So here's what I'm going to do--I'm going to wipe it all clean and save you all, and you can either start living like that now, or you can go on living like you're in control, and like you can do it all by yourself like you really want to. It's up to you, but until you start living like you are free and forgiven (as you really truly are), you won't ever get the Kingdom of God here on earth, where it is, and where I have brought it.

This accords with my reading of things. Spot on, Digory!

Lynn
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if we're not responsible for our slavery, which affects our decisions, then how can those decisions be truly pure?

As Jolly Jape usually points out in a really neat (I think) way, if God removes our sickness, we're free to be who we were always meant to be, at which point I don't see there being any choice in the matter, free will or not!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see that we have different understandings regarding this matter. In my view, choice is crucial. I think God values choice. He doesn't want to overwhelm us - he wants faith. I don't completely get the whole thing - but from what I gather, he desires trust in doubt. I think he values free will (meaning to choose to do right or wrong)...a lot.

I think that we have to differentiate here between that which is desireable for growth in this life, and the different situation which exists at andf beyond death. So I would agree that, for this life, it is important for our sanctification, if you like, that we make wise and moral choices, informed by faith. But upon death, we will see clearly in any case, so, as Paul points out in 1Cor 13, faith will pass away. There is no faith beyond the grave. The question is not so much "how valuable does God consider our free will to be?" but rather, "to what extent is our free will free?"

Joyfulsoul:
quote:
Well, yes, we could be. But there is no imperative that we must be. God chooses not to so hold us. I think that here we should note the difference betweeen forgiveness and salvation. We make bad choices, God forgives us for them. If that were the whole story, then there would have been no need for Jesus to die. He did not, as the hymn puts it, "..die that we might be forgiven." The truth is that we are already forgiven, just as the Prodigal was forgiven before he was even tired of the scraps in the pigsty. He died, rather, to free us from the death that was the end product of that sin. As far as our salvation is concerned, God is not so much concerned with moral culpability as with rescuing us from Digory's raft as it approaches the rapids.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

PK & Jolly Jape,

I haven't had time to respond - but I just want to say how much I appreciate both your responses and that they are so thoughtful. [Overused]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

At the end of the day, I kind of suspect that some of the universalists (said in all respect and in no way derisively) don't actually believe that anybody chooses rebellion against God, actively chooses to align with Satan ("better to be a prince in Hell...!") - so work with me for a moment here, even if you don't believe anybody actually chooses that, and PRETEND that a person makes that choice - is God then going to impose salvation upon them?

quote:
joyfulsoul said:

Yes! Perhaps I just hang out with the wrong people (it IS Los Angeles, after all), but I know so many people who say, "I don't care," to the consequences and do what they damn well please, believing that they can talk their way out of the consequences later. And it I have a really hard time seeing the universalist argument as anything other than confirming that POV. A friend once asked me, "If you believe Jesus died for your sins and has already forgiven you for them, then why does it matter whether you sin or not? why do you try to be good?"

I suspect we are continually either *confirming* our choice by obedience, exercising love, walking in faith and grace or *undermining* that choice by doing what we damn well please, hardening our hearts, allowing our love to grow cold ("because you are neither hot nor cold I will spew you out of My mouth" - pretty harsh words from the Resurrected Christ to the church at Laodicea).

How much more "at risk" are the people who have never responded positively to Christ?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just don't see how we will make a choice for hell once we are fully aware and seeing things clearly As They Truly Are.

This sounds good. But the thing is, how do we know that this is what happens?

I think that in the end what we want to know is what wins out. In that sense the afterlife offers just as great possibilities for self-delusion as this world. We can still fool ourselves there. It is others we can't fool.

Put another way, we are what we love. The only information that is meaningful is information that we want. In the next life what we want is more, not less, clearly defined, and everything else lines up behind this most basic identity.

So I don't really think that there is a time when we become "fully aware and seeing things clearly." We are only as fully aware as we want to be.

I think the principle is that love to God and the neighbor make a person aware and clear sighted, whereas the love of worldly things and the love of self obscure the vision.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
We all have choices we make, and there are consequences. But what is the point of God protecting our free will at all costs so he can rob us of it as soon as we meet death? At the very point where we become most like ourselves (as Jolly talks about) and fully realize the nature of the choices we have, at that point our choice is revoked and we are forced to live with the eternal consequences of only our pre-death choices?

Not that you, or Freddy, or anyone here really believes this because I know some people have said that they feel people will have choices after death and still choose hell. That they will continue to choose hell, forever, some of them. I can at least see this argument a little better, but it seems to be just as inconsistent with the biblical view of hell re: Lazarus/Dives, etc.

Digory,

These are good points. Can I try to clarify how these things work out a little more from my point of view?

First off, as I understand it, no one really ever loses their freedom. People in hell are free to do as they like, just as those in heaven are. Everyone is able to make choices. This is never taken away.

What changes throughout life, and even more after death, is that a person's central character becomes more fixed. Old people get set in their ways and opinions, and the most central of their beliefs and loves are deeply bound up with who they are.

At no point do people feel that they are unable to think and do as they wish, or that they are trapped within their identity. People will always make choices, but the loves from which they make them become more definite and confirmed over time. This is even more the case after death.

There are two kinds of freedom.
  • 1. The freedom to do as you wish.
  • 2. The freedom to change what you wish.

These are two different things, although they are both called freedom.

In the second instance, a person can be a lazy, self-centered jerk, and have the capacity to grow and change completely into a productive, thoughtful person. People can change direction, they can reform, they can grow up.

According to the first description, however, a person is free to do as they wish, whether they are self-centered and lazy or not. This kind of freedom is, of course, limited for everyone, since we are all constrained in various ways.

After death, as I understand it, it is mainly the second kind of freedom - the freedom to reform - that is reduced or taken away. It is not that God takes it away, but that people lose their interest in this kind of complete reform.

But people retain forever their ability to think and do as they wish.

The problem is that the more self-centered their wishes are, the more constrained they are, since they necessarily conflict with the desires of others. This is even more true if they are actually unkind or cruel people.

This conflict is the essence of what gives hell its character. It's not that God punishes people, but that their nature exposes them to the self-centered desires of others.

Conversely, people in heaven have fewer constraints on their desires, since their desires do not confict with others. They cooperate to create a very happy existence. As Jesus says:
quote:
Luke 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."
This picture seems to me to be consistent with biblical statements, such as those about Dives and Lazarus.

So in one sense we retain our freedom forever, and in another sense we become the permanent form that we make of ourselves. Or the form that we accept from God. Or do not accept.

Either way, we do as we like. But I don't think it all necessarily ever becomes clear, as we have a pretty extensive capacity to fool ourselves. As Jesus says, quoting Isaiah:
quote:
Matthew 13:14 ‘ Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I shouldheal them.’

Jesus wants to heal them, but not everyone is interested.

Interest is what it is all about, because love is a spiritual quality and it determines everything in a spiritual world, as I understand it.

[ 11. December 2005, 14:26: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Well said, Freddy-- thank you for explaining so clearly (makes sense to *me* at any rate!).

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Well, I'll get the ball rolling then, with some SCRIPTURES TO BE DEALT WITH. Both sides have them, in my opinion, and neither philosophy is completely supported or completely rejected on the testimony of scripture alone (not without severe interpretive license, of course).

quote:
Hosea 11:9

I will not carry out my fierce anger,
nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim.
For I am God, and not man—
the Holy One among you.
I will not come in wrath.

quote:
Ephesians 1:3-10

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—-to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.

Bold added for emphasis.

quote:
Isaiah 45:4-5

For the sake of Jacob my servant,
of Israel my chosen,
I summon you by name
and bestow on you a title of honor,
though you do not acknowledge me.

I am the LORD, and there is no other;
apart from me there is no God.
I will strengthen you,
though you have not acknowledged me

and then verses 22-23

Turn to me and be saved,
all you ends of the earth;
for I am God, and there is no other.

By myself I have sworn,
my mouth has uttered in all integrity
a word that will not be revoked:
Before me every knee will bow;
by me every tongue will swear.

Bold added for emphasis, more re: JoyfulSoul's thoughts on freedom...

Very clearly these are not foolproof arguments. However, if you are willing to read them with fresh eyes, they can point in a way different than we are used to, and I think that is very interesting.

What are the passages that most thoughtfully point to the existence and certain usage of Hell?

-Digory

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

PK,

There's so beauty and truth in what you are saying. [Overused] Forgive me for currently not posting any biblical-based appropriate response yet because I'm still mulling over the things you said in your last post and now have even more things to think about with your recent post.

But I just want to share some few brief and scattered thoughts regarding your last postings.

It is the most beautifulest (I don't care that beautifulest is not a real word, I like it anyways) thing in the world to contemplate the graciousness of God. Truly and really. I absolutely go bonkers when I'm reminded of his mind-blowing extravagant generosity. Wow. You are very lucky person to see so much beauty and it makes me happy to be reminded of it.

There is one thing though that is whispering in my consciounes regarding the beauty and extravagance of God and it is the word "receive."

There is a huge theme in the gospels of repentence (I think especially in Luke). It is kind of like - if we never repent, we don't know how to receive forgiveness. It is kind of like when Jesus was explaining love and forgiveness . The idea is that if you don't know how to receive forgiveness then it is really and truly hard for you to both receive and share love.

Repentence is so crucial to receive the extravagant gift of love that God has. It is not because God's love is weak - it is because we bar him from loving us by not receiving it.

It is like you have a gift but the other person doesn't want it. No matter how badly you want to give it to someone - if a person cannot receive - then he or she is unable to enjoy the gift. Maybe this is not your personal experience, but it is certainly been mine.

Without receiving it is pretty much impossible to enjoy God's love. I don't know if you can force someone to receive.

[eta last sentence]

[ 12. December 2005, 22:09: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Very clearly these are not foolproof arguments. However, if you are willing to read them with fresh eyes, they can point in a way different than we are used to, and I think that is very interesting.

Digory, these are great passages.

They do point to the idea that God is not angry, that He loves everyone whether they love him or not, and that He will have mercy on all people.

I believe all those things.
quote:
What are the passages that most thoughtfully point to the existence and certain usage of Hell?

Here is the usual collection:
quote:
Matthew 18:8 “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire.”

Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels….45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Mark 9 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 44 where ‘ Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 46 where
‘ Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.
47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— 48 where
‘ Their worm does not die
And the fire is not quenched.’

Isaiah 66.23 And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.
24 “ And they shall go forth and look
Upon the corpses of the men
Who have transgressed against Me.
For their worm does not die,
And their fire is not quenched.
They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.”

2 Thessalonians 1 “It is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, 7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.”

I readily agree that these references appear to be speaking figuratively, since Jesus is not likely to be asking people to literally cut off their hands.

Nor do I think that these few references are very impressive compared to the large number of Scriptures that speak of God's great mercy.

My position, of course, is that it is God's mercy which allows people to do as they wish, and to find happiness according to their own free will. The fact that He warns us that what we see as happiness may turn out to be just the opposite, is testament to His mercy not His anger.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a huge theme in the gospels of repentence (I think especially in Luke). It is kind of like - if we never repent, we don't know how to receive forgiveness. It is kind of like when Jesus was explaining love and forgiveness . The idea is that if you don't know how to receive forgiveness then it is really and truly hard for you to both receive and share love.

Repentence is so crucial to receive the extravagant gift of love that God has. It is not because God's love is weak - it is because we bar him from loving us by not receiving it.

It is like you have a gift but the other person doesn't want it. No matter how badly you want to give it to someone - if a person cannot receive - then he or she is unable to enjoy the gift. Maybe this is not your personal experience, but it is certainly been mine.

Really strong post, Joyfulsoul. That's pretty much how I see that it works, too. One thing that I have been thinking about recently, both here and in another correspondance, is how the themes of forgiveness, repentance, restoration and reconciliation go together. I think that most people would put it thus:

Repentance > Forgiveness > Restoration > Reconciliation.

I'm not so sure if that's how it happens (well, actually I'm pretty sure that it's not that way [Biased] . It seems to me, and this ties in with your post, that the beginning point is God's forgiveness of us. This stimulates our spirit to repentance, and a desire for change. God then restores us by His grace to the place we would have been had we not sinned, and the Spirit then works the ongoing transformation in our lives, such that we are living in a way more aligned with God's ways (reconciliation). Thus, the process is nearer to:

Forgiveness > Repentance > Restoration > Reconciliation.

If we cannot receive God's forgiveness, it cuts the process short. It's not that we aren't forgiven if we don't respond, more that we don't appropriate the benefits of that forgiveness.

Of course, in reality, all these stages are going on all the time in our lives.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Thus, the process is nearer to:

Forgiveness > Repentance > Restoration > Reconciliation.

If we cannot receive God's forgiveness, it cuts the process short. It's not that we aren't forgiven if we don't respond, more that we don't appropriate the benefits of that forgiveness.

Of course, in reality, all these stages are going on all the time in our lives.

This is perfectly consistent with Scripture, I think. I think this is the way that it happens.

God is always there offering His forgiveness. It is up to us to appropriate the benefits of that forgiveness.

In a way it is like Communion. Christ is there, and we can appropriate His benefits or not.

--------------------

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that everyone will get to the heaven they always dreamed of.

But only the Christians "heaven" will turn out not to be a nightmare.

Ask most people if they want to go to heaven, and they will say "yes". Ask them to describe their idea of heaven, and they will generally describe a place in which everything is perfect.

What they mean by "perfect" however is perfect for me. In their "heaven", the weather would always be exactly suited to how they wanted it to be, other people around them would always interact with them exactly how they wanted them to.

If you went to a train station in heaven, you would find that the first train to depart was going to where you wanted to go, and was leaving exactly one minute after you arrived.

I remember someone once telling me, his idea of "heaven" was one where Manchester United won the treble every season.

Now, while most of us might like to think the specific details of our image of heaven are rather more sophisticated than this, ultimately, our underlying philosophy is often rather similar. We think of heaven as being the place where we will basically get our own way.

This is, incidently, the kind of heaven portrayed in Islam. Upon dying, you will be met by several beautiful virgins and a wonderful feast of exotic food apparently.

Unfortunately, this does not tally at all with the biblical view of heaven. Heaven is perfect, but it is a place of perfect surrender to God's will.

Ask the man on the street if he even wants to go to this kind of heaven, and he will, 99 times out of 100 say "no thankyou" and pick the first kind of heaven I described in preference.

The problem with the first kind of heaven, is that it is ultimately hell.

One of the best images I have ever seen of this is in the film "Vanilla Sky". (HUGE SPOILER FOR THE FILM COMING UP!!!!)

Tom Cruise plays an incredibly rich guy, who pays for his body to be frozen upon his death and technology used to make his frozen brain enter a "lucid dream" state, in which he lives inside a continuous dream where he can make whatever he wants to have happen, happen.

He creates for himself his "perfect" girlfriend, he creates for himself the "perfect" life. Eventually however, he realises, in the climax scene on top of a tower block, that his "perfect" girlfriend is in fact not real at all, she merely conforms to the every whim of his desires.

His "perfect world" is paper thin, because it is entirely dependant, moment by moment, on conforming to his will. Ultimately, his world is limited and trivial, because it is limited by his own mind. The place where he is supposed to be most free, is where he is actually the most trapped.

His conclusion is, as he realises that his perfect girlfriend doesn't, and never can love him, because she is a construct of his own mind, is "I want a real life". His Heaven becomes a hell.

There are two ultimate destinies that we can have.

One where we get entirely our own way.

One where we submit entirely to God's way.

The problem is that we would nearly always call the first of these "heaven" and the second of these "Hell". It is only the change affected in me by God when i became a Christian, which enables me to see the second one of these as heaven.

God can only give what we are willing to accept, and most people will be only willing to accept the "My Way" kind of heaven, which will eventually turn to hell. It would be no good even forcing them to accept the second kind of heaven, because that too would be hell to them.

God will allow people to go to their hell, because they will be positively begging him to let them go there.

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by 3M Matt:
Now, while most of us might like to think the specific details of our image of heaven are rather more sophisticated than this, ultimately, our underlying philosophy is often rather similar. We think of heaven as being the place where we will basically get our own way.

This is, incidently, the kind of heaven portrayed in Islam. Upon dying, you will be met by several beautiful virgins and a wonderful feast of exotic food apparently.

Matt,

Thank you. [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I love the "Vanilla Sky" comparison. I always heard it was a terrible movie so I never saw it. Maybe I will now. Of course you have ruined it. [Biased]

I don't think that it is far-fetched to think that there are people who believe that doing minimal work, getting drunk every night, and having sex with lots of people could be a satisfying eternal lifestyle.

The Islamic idea of 72 beautiful virgins is not so different, and it has understandable appeal - but only, probably, for men. [Disappointed]

The Bible, however, seems to say that this kind of idea of heaven is wide of the mark.

I guess the big question is whether people ever do realize that the Bible is right, and then change to conform to what it says.

Another question would be whether we are even the same people as we are in this world, with the same interests and beliefs.

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I love the "Vanilla Sky" comparison. I always heard it was a terrible movie so I never saw it. Maybe I will now. Of course you have ruined it.
On a tangent, I personally adore this film. It's the most multi-layered film I have ever seen. It's exceedingly asthetically pleasing, (how could a film starring Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz not be?!) it's possible to interpret it on so many different levels.

Many people dislike the ending because it's incongruous with the rest of the film, but it misses the point that nothing in this film is quite as it seems. (notice the tax disc on the car early on expires on 30th of Febuary..a nonsense date...notice that the first voice heard in the film is that of Penelope Cruz, even though to fit the narrative it should be Diaz. These are just two subtle clues that the "face value" interpretation of the film is not the only one.)

It's got a great soundtrack too incidently...

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:

Then I don't think I will have a destiny. [Frown] See, I at least understand a little bit about getting my own way. I don't really like to, to be honest, and for whatever reason. I don't want that destiny.

But my only other choice here is to "submit entirely to God's way," which is something I cannot do. If we had the capacity to do this here on Earth, I'd be inclined to believe in this dichotomy, but since this remains impossible as I see it, and I go through a cycle of wanting my way and wanting to submit at least several times a day, something else must be going on.

I understand your distinction, 3M, don't get me wrong. There is something in our nature that doesn't want to get our own way because it is a false reality and we want truth (like Vanilla Sky or the Matrix, etc.) even if it means some pain or disappointment now and then. But I think we all want that deep down, and (some of you must be sick of this) I think Jolly's idea of the sickness is really appropriate here. Perhaps on earth some of us are sicker than others but we're all sick--we all want our own way. But the fact is I can't submit to God the way I am now--my sickness prevents me from making this choice. Something is going to have to happen to me post-death if I am to make a choice to submit to God over getting my own way. And if something has to happen (whether that's preemptive forgiveness or our analogic "healing" or whatever) to me, then I must also assume it will happen to all, at which point I believe even those who were most sick will receive their healing in full and be made able to choose the choice that is best for them--to submit as you nicely put it.

This line of thought preserves choice, and it uses the ideas of selfish hell vs. submissive heaven, which I like. Where it rubs people wrong is that it would seem to remove motivation for leading a better life, for not sinning. I simply don't think the threat of hell is a very good motivation to begin with, but that's probably a different post.

quote:
God can only give what we are willing to accept, and most people will be only willing to accept the "My Way" kind of heaven, which will eventually turn to hell. It would be no good even forcing them to accept the second kind of heaven, because that too would be hell to them.
But allowing them to choose the first kind of heaven would then make it into hell too, wouldn't it? If I'm only in heaven because I wanted to be there and because I wanted to submit to God, I've gotten what I wanted...

Perhaps heaven is a perfect merge of the two--where we get what we want through submission to God, and where "what we want" becomes intertwined with submission to God.

And I think we all want that. And I think we all make decisions that would "prove otherwise," too. None of us are any better than anyone else, and none of us truly want submission all of the time. Something has to change us. Something outside of us must enact a change inside of us. And when it does, we're made able to become who we were meant and made to be.

That to me only leaves 3 options-

1) God chooses to enact this change in none of us. We all get Selfish Hell.

2) God chooses to enact this change in some of us. Those he chooses get Submissive Heaven, but the rest get Selfish Hell. This was Calvin's approach.

3) God chooses to enact this change in all of us. We all end up choosing to receive Submissive Heaven because it's what we were all created for.

Perhaps this is full of straw... but it's the conclusion that comes naturally as I see it.

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Then I don't think I will have a destiny. [Frown] See, I at least understand a little bit about getting my own way. I don't really like to, to be honest, and for whatever reason. I don't want that destiny.
I think Matt meant that those were the two extremes.

Most people would actually be somewhere in the middle. The question is exactly where.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
quote:

I think Matt meant that those were the two extremes.

Most people would actually be somewhere in the middle. The question is exactly where.

So, if I want to submit more than Bob does, there's some imaginary point at which I cross over into "Enough Wanting to Get Heaven" and Bob will be stuck back in "Not Quite Enough Wanting So You Get Hell"? Or is there no heaven and hell and just levels of heavenness and hellness?

I know, I know--it's an incredibly tough topic to really pin down! [Smile]

-Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
So, if I want to submit more than Bob does, there's some imaginary point at which I cross over into "Enough Wanting to Get Heaven" and Bob will be stuck back in "Not Quite Enough Wanting So You Get Hell"? Or is there no heaven and hell and just levels of heavenness and hellness?

I know, I know--it's an incredibly tough topic to really pin down! [Smile]

Yes, it's tough to pin down.

I think that everyone in the afterlife is in their own unique situation, with their own unique characteristics, and their own unique brand of what makes them happy.

This is why I prefer to think of the spiritual world as a vast world of incredible variety, and not one that is a simple dichotomy of good and evil.

It works like any dichotomy. In general, for example, it is easy as pie to distinguish the rich countries and the poor countries in this world. But anyone who has travelled knows that the edges are fuzzy.

Most simple categorizations like this end up being false in some sense. The reality is infinitely more complex. It doesn't mean that rich and poor aren't meaningful descriptors, just that they only paint part of the picture.

It is the same with heaven and hell. They are real places and useful concepts. There is, in a sense, a "great gulf" between them. But the inhabitants are all unique, and represent a complex continuum of happiness that ranges from infinitely happy to infinitely deluded, and therefore unhappy.

But it's not like you come to a sign in the road that says "Hell starts here." Distance in that world is all about similarities and dissimilarities of spiritual state, and people are attracted to others who share common ideas and values. So it's not about achievement or getting into a good neighborhood. The point is to find your spiritual home.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

So Freddy, if there's a gulf between these two places, even if there's variation amongst the inhabitants of each place, we're still back to the same idea of there being a heaven and a hell.

Except that you contend it's possible to leap this chasm even after death, if you so choose. Which is a big difference, I'd say.

-Digory

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

quote:

One where we submit entirely to God's way.<snip>

God will allow people to go to their hell, because they will be positively begging him to let them go there.

I like this post, Matt - I also liked "Vanilla Sky" (and the Spanish film upon which it was based, "Open Your Eyes" (in Spanish!)). What I find personally cool, an evidence of genuine spiritual growth, is that I am really at a place where what I want is what HE wants... I'm not able to DO that all the time (half the time?!) but it is my heart's desire. Don't know about anybody else, but I find it hard to assess my own spiritual growth, so when I *do* see some evidence of growth, I'm excited.

Digory, I've been very busy but I am STILL planning to answer your post, some way upthread now, asking about specific scriptures... (of course, you may not want me to!).

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

Of COURSE I want you to, Lynn!

I've been waiting very patiently... [Biased]

(And I'd love your response about the passages I cited earlier, as well, IF you have time.)

Digory

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Except that you contend it's possible to leap this chasm even after death, if you so choose. Which is a big difference, I'd say.

No. It's a big "if".

People on one side of the chasm aren't comfortable on the other. They don't choose to cross it.

This is the only reason it is wide.

If there was a desire to cross it then it would be narrow or not there at all. At least, that's how I understand the physics of the spiritual world.

--------------------

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Digory, read your blog and (sorry, tangent!) - my folks were snowed on in Jerusalem the year they went (1996, I think...) !!! END tangent - sorry! and yes, it IS your scriptures I'll be looking at!

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not totally sure about this, but I *think* snow is fairly rare - except in Hebron which is a bit higher up than Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

C

--------------------
arse

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

Yes, Cheesy, you're right - but it was nonetheless one of those rare occurences when my folks were over (hey, they also experienced the last time in modern memory that Los Angeles snowfall stayed on the ground, back in 1949 - my dad was born in Montana, so perhaps he was a "magnet" for snow!).

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:

No. It's a big "if".

People on one side of the chasm aren't comfortable on the other. They don't choose to cross it.

This is the only reason it is wide.

If there was a desire to cross it then it would be narrow or not there at all. At least, that's how I understand the physics of the spiritual world.

I think the only question is CAN they cross. Whether or not they will is yet to be determined. If they can, they can. If they can't, they can't.

But "we are just sure they won't" isn't really an arguable option (I don't think).

-Digory

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But "we are just sure they won't" isn't really an arguable option (I don't think).

I think it could be. Let's see if Freddy can argue it.

In my understanding of salvation, what matters is what sort of person you are. It's hard to see people who have been radically and utterly selfish and uncharitable all through their lives radically changing after death and all of a sudden becoming kind and giving and loving. Whether or not they CAN or CANNOT doesn't seem to be the issue at all, but whether it's at all likely they would choose to.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Whether or not they CAN or CANNOT doesn't seem to be the issue at all, but whether it's at all likely they would choose to.

This is how I see it too.

One qualifying aspect is that as I understand it a person does not immediately enter either heaven or hell after death.

There is a period, either brief or lengthy depending on a number of factors, during which the person searches out and finds his or her long term home. This involves a long look at both heaven and hell, and may involve more or less lengthy stays in one or both.

Still, it is not as if a person eventually weighs the options and chooses one over the other, with possible "buyers remorse." The person is just living his or her life, and continually moving in the direction that his loves take him in. This is not ever curtailed.

Eventually the path goes more and more in one direction and other options are left far behind. Hence the "great gulf".

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's making a list and checking it twice.
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice…

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gort, this isn't Hell or Heaven.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

Gort, do you find it strange that one's current state on would affect one's future?

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry... "one's current state on"? Could you elaborate, please?

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Gort, this isn't Hell or Heaven.

I'm fully aware of that Mr. Mousethief. Do you have a problem with my contribution?

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
He's making a list and checking it twice.
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice…

I wasn't sure if you were being facetious with this verse - meaning that it might be silly or simplistic to see God as Santa - punishing the bad, rewarding the good. The extreme of this is sending the "naughty" people to hell and the "good" people to heaven, with lots of toys of course [Biased] .

So, then - I have been suggesting in this thread - that perhaps it is not a matter of God rewarding or punishing vis a via sending people to everlasting torment. Perhaps it is matter of people choosing the destinies themselves. Being that how we treat other people and ourselves and God is what matters -

-which is why I asked that perhaps how we live our lives now (our current state) affects our future (who knows what happpens to us after spirit separates from the life-less corpse).

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Here's my take on things, Joyfulsoul. I'm convinced that our reward or punishment depends, to a great extent, on how aware we are of our responsibility for our actions.

Those who understand how and why acts are initiated take full responsibility for the results. Those who don't understand how and why they do things are no more responsible than leaves blowing in the wind and have the same control over where they come to rest.

--------------------

Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

I see where you are coming from. Maybe that's why Jesus prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" ?

--------------------
~No Man's Land

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016