homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily offices (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily offices
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Okay. I hadn't registered that there were "Lesser Sundays". I realise that there are "Greater Sundays" but assumed all Sundays were solemnities.

I think these concurrences are the only times when the "lesserness" of Sundays like tomorrow shows up. It's just a plain old green solemnity of a Sunday, and that allows for its First Evensong/Vespers to be pre-empted by that of the Major Feast of Our Lord that is St John Baptist. The Sunday will still have its own Vespers tomorrow.
Sub Hoc Signo Vinces
Shipmate
# 11086

- Posted      Profile for Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Email Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay. I hadn't registered that there were "Lesser Sundays". I realise that there are "Greater Sundays" but assumed all Sundays were solemnities.

Thurible

I am thankful for the simplifications in the modern secular Roman breviary (LOTH / Divine Office). The table at the front is a simple hierarchy and the higher always displaces the lower - in effect, the answer is always, "All of nobler, nothing of lesser". It is a radical simplification but none the worse for that. [Smile]

SHSV

Posts: 139 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some one slap me on my wrist! My term break has ended and I'll be having lots of travelling time to read the office. So should I bring my cute little black book (Daily Office Year B) together with Celebrating Common Prayer, or Galley's Prayerbook Office, or The English Office?

The first to give advice I'll give an abbatial mitre and pledge obedience. [Smile]

(Since many of us are doing the office, what about streamlining our use and then start another third order or associate for an existing community? And we might even collaborate reflections here! somewhere in this board!

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The English Office. I'll PM you my postal address. [Razz]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Some one slap me on my wrist! My term break has ended and I'll be having lots of travelling time to read the office. So should I bring my cute little black book (Daily Office Year B) together with Celebrating Common Prayer, or Galley's Prayerbook Office, or The English Office?

Galley's PBO, as it uses an up-to-date calendar and has the psalter translation with which I'm most familiar. Oh, this is for you, not me. Sorry! [Biased]
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I finally found a summary of the IMPORTANT changes at the ECUSA General Convention, to wit, the changes to the Church Calendar.

From here, bulleting added for clarity
quote:
  • Entered Florence Li Tim-Oi, Janani Luwum,
    Philander Chase, William Temple and Clive
    Staples Lewis in the Calendar of the Church
    Year (BCP, p. 15-30) and in future revisions of
    “Lesser Feasts and Fasts” (A059).
  • Referred to the appropriate subcommittee for
    further research, consultation, and
    recommendation the commemoration of the
    Rev. Dr. John Roberts Referred date change
    for Harriet Tubman Commemoration to the
    Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music
    during the preparation of the new revision
    of”Lesser Feasts and Fasts” (A061).
  • Authorized changing the name for the
    commemoration of the “Martyrs of Lyons” to
    “Blandina and Her Companions, The Martyrs of
    Lyons,” as found in “Lesser Feasts and Fasts”
    (A065).
  • Directed the Standing Commission on Liturgy
    and Music to consider the commemoration of
    the Dorchester Chaplains as an addition to the
    Calendar of the Church Year (B008).
  • Added the commemoration of the Martyrs of
    Sudan as an addition to the Calendar of the
    Church Year on May 16 (C003).
  • Added Supreme Court Justice Thurgood
    Marshall to the Calendar of the Church Year on
    May 17 (C016).
  • Added Joan of Arc to the Calendar of the
    Church Year on May 30 (C034).
  • Added the Confession of Martha to the Calendar
    of the Church Year on April 13(C035).
  • Added Genocide Remembrance Day to the
    Calendar of the Church Year on April 24
    (C043).

Thoughts? Comments? Flying monkeys?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Entered Florence Li Tim-Oi...in the Calendar of the Church
It's about time. I get really tired of explaining that we've had woman priests for the last sixty (not thirty) years and then explaining who she is.

Thanks for the update, Spiffy.

[ 26. June 2006, 18:19: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Just got me Saint Helena Breviary Personal Edition. Handsomely bound; would like more durable paper. And why, oh why are there typos? This week is (on p. 589) listed as "Proper 7: Week of the Sunday closest to June 72." And on p. 40, under Monday Diurnum Respond, it says, "Response: Do not forsake me, O God of my salvation." Response to what? Aagh...I'm going to have to pencil in a line of text to be able to use that office. The book doesn't appear to be riddled with typos, so I hope I don't find any more.

But it is promising as an expansion and inclusivizing of the BCP 1979 office: the psalter is given in 1-150 order, contiguously, so it can be used three ways (or more): the BCP appointed psalm schedule of seven weeks; the traditional in-course 30-day schedule, or the OSH two-week schedule given in a table (and of course any other schedule could be applied as long as it's a fourfold office of MP, midday, EP, and Compline). Antiphons, responsories, and the OSH's wonderful hymn and canticle texts are given. No musical notation or pointing. Four ribbon markers, all green. It could really use six. This and a small Bible would travel quite well...although certainly not in a pocket.

The Monastic Edition was obviously well proofed and prayed with before publication; unfortunately, Church Publishing took over the typesetting and layout for the Personal Edition and didn't use that same level of care. If they had given it to a group to pray for two weeks, they would have quickly found the Monday Diurnum typo.

A good breviary, but now I wish they'd send me a corrected copy once they correct typos. Where are editors these days? [Mad] That said, it's quite usable (after I pencil in that line), barring any other critical omissions.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
But it is promising as an expansion and inclusivizing of the BCP 1979 office: the psalter is given in 1-150 order

A very good idea to put the psalms together in a section. Sounds like the next item in the line of 'Prayer Book Office' books.

The monastic edition groups a few Psalms under one antiphon. Does this version include antiphons for the individual psalms?

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't work out where I found this last night (it may have been on the Ship, but I can't see it anywhere) but here are some thoughts of the Bishop of Ebbsfleet on CW:DP.

Thurible

[ 27. June 2006, 09:43: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

John H
Shipmate
# 9599

- Posted      Profile for John H   Author's homepage   Email John H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't work out where I found this last night (it may have been on the Ship, but I can't see it anywhere) but here are some thoughts of the Bishop of Ebbsfleet on CW:DP.

I think someone linked this article yesterday. I read it some months ago and it is very helpful.

+Ebbsfleet's invocation of the "Western Catholic tradition" is one I will bear in mind for justifying my own use of Anglican/RC offices as a Lutheran (a.k.a. a Christian "living in the tradition and continuation of the Evangelical Reformation of the Catholic Church", as one Lutheran blogger puts it). [Smile]

The good bishop also recommends Hymns of Prayer and Praise as a good source of Office hymns. Has anyone else tried this? Is it worth looking out for?

Finally, +Ebbsfleet is right in criticising CW:DP for the lack of psalm and lectionary tables. The lack of psalm tables in particular makes the book quite hard to use in practice, which is why Celebrating Daily Prayer (the pocket version, which includes psalms within the offices themselves) is so useful.

(I'm not so bothered about the lack of lectionary, since - whisper it [Smile] - I use M'Cheyne's Calendar anyway. As a good Evangelical, I find it very difficult to follow any bible-reading plan that doesn't go through the whole thing, every last corner of Habakkuk and all. I dare say this is very naughty and misses the point of the Office entirely. Well, bite me. [Two face] )

--------------------
"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart."

Posts: 423 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
Originally posted by John H:
The good bishop also recommends Hymns of Prayer and Praise as a good source of Office hymns. Has anyone else tried this? Is it worth looking out for?

The best collection of office hymns in my opinion. Straight forward language but far from banal. The hymns 'grows' on you with repeated use.

'Hymns from the Hours' from GIA is a good choice too, if you prefer a more mainstream hymnal.

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also agree that Hymns for Prayer and Praise seems an excellent resource for the daily office. It has an interesting selection of hymns for all the offices on Sundays, ferial days and feasts, each of which has both a plainsong and a conventional melody. I think it provides a far richer selection of material than simply relying on a standard hymn book. In my opinion, it would also be far more rewarding to use it in conjunction with the UK and USA editions of the RC Liturgy of the Hours, instead of using the hymns provided in these volumes.

I've never seen Hymns for the Hours, though. It would be interesting to see how it compares with Hymns for Prayer and Praise.

I also devoutly wish that a daily office lectionary had been provided with Common Worship: Daily Prayer, as it was with Celebrating Common Prayer. Perhaps this omission could be corrected in a future edition.

DIVINE OFFICE

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
Well, I finally found a summary of the IMPORTANT changes at the ECUSA General Convention, to wit, the changes to the Church Calendar.

From here, bulleting added for clarity
[QUOTE] [list]
[*]Entered Florence Li Tim-Oi, Janani Luwum,
Philander Chase, William Temple and Clive
Staples Lewis in the Calendar of the Church
Year (BCP, p. 15-30) and in future revisions of
“Lesser Feasts and Fasts” (A059).

Philander Chase? Sound like a character from
Carry On in the Sacristy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
The monastic edition groups a few Psalms under one antiphon. Does this version include antiphons for the individual psalms?

We're discussing the Saint Helena Breviary, Personal Edition.

As far as I can tell, the Personal Edition provides the same texts for everything that the Monastic Edition provides. There are no antiphons given in the psalter itself, but the "antiphon on the Psalter" is given for each day (day of the week, commons, proper of saints) at each office, and this antiphon covers the entire psalter selection for that office.

On first-class feasts, for those following the OSH psalter distribution, a set of five psalms is listed for Matins and another for Vespers, and the Personal Edition provides the five antiphons (with "or" between them) without specifying that one is said with each of the five psalms. They leave this flexible for those using the BCP distribution or the 30-day in-course one. One of the five antiphons can then be chosen to cover the whole psalter selection.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
Philander Chase? Sound like a character from
Carry On in the Sacristy.

Philander Chase founded Kenyon College all by his lonesome, bringing Episcopalian theology to the wild, wild Western United States (which during his lifetime was Ohio and Illinois). And he divorced and remarried and STILL made it into the Episcopate. (hint, hint, bludgeon)

Apparently his father (Dudley Chase) was rather enamored of the poetry of Edward Young.

[ 27. June 2006, 18:07: Message edited by: Spiffy da WonderSheep ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Okay, I'm hallucenating things, the Rt. Rev. Chase remarried, but his first wife died of consumption. I apologize for my misteak.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably been mentioned on the 20+ pages of the thread, but in case it hasn't...

I just discovered Praystation Portable, a podcast of the daily office!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just obtained a copy of the Antiphonale Monasticum today, which provides the chants for the traditional Benedictine hours of Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. The last edition of the Antiphonale Monasticum was published in 1934, but it has been reprinted by the Abbey of Solesmes in recent years, as it is still used by some Benedictine abbeys for chanting the daily office.

I believe that Solesmes are currently preparing a revised edition of the Antiphonale Monasticum in several volumes to take account of the modern changes in the office. One volume has already been published.

Is anyone else familiar with the Antiphonale Monasticum, and has anyone ever tried using it to chant all or part of their daily office?

I obtained my copy from the online bookshop of the Abbey of Le Barroux in France, who also publish a very nice daily missal in Latin and French for the Tridentine rite, which they use for all Masses. Needless to say, I also obtained a copy of this!

Check them out here.

Pisco Sours
Apprentice
# 11609

- Posted      Profile for Pisco Sours   Author's homepage   Email Pisco Sours   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So in the St. Helena, what is supposed to come before "Do not forsake me..." on p.40? (Brand spanking new Christian here, and it seems vaguely familiar even to me, but I can't think of what must come before it.)

But honestly, I love this Breviary a lot more than I do the service in the BCP, not least because of different services depending on the day of the week. Also, when I use the SHB in conjunction with the Daily Office book, there's a lot less flippity than when I try to juggle a prayer book and a lectionary calendar and a Bible. Any flippity at all beyond going to a ribbon just takes me out of the moment.

Also, I just discovered the New Zealand Prayer Book, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it has differing MP/EP for each day of the week. Yay!

Given my job, though, sometimes it's all I can do to just rush through the Daily Devotions!

Posts: 19 | From: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

- Posted      Profile for John H   Author's homepage   Email John H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pisco Sours:
Given my job, though, sometimes it's all I can do to just rush through the Daily Devotions!

This leads into a point I've been wanting to raise for a few days with the other office-devotees on this thread: To what extent do you treat the office as a discipline, and to what extent do you treat it as a resource?

In other words, do you consider yourself to be under a commitment - perhaps one voluntarily adopted, but a commitment nonetheless - to say certain appointed offices day in day out come what may, or do you see the office as something you can dip in and out of?

Personally, I try to follow a pattern of saying morning prayer and night prayer on a daily basis (as that fits well into my daily routine), and if possible to add evening prayer for solemnities. At times I could even kid myself that I was following a disciplined programme of prayer: and then I find myself driving to work for a few days (rather than taking the train), the weather gets hotter, and the next thing is I've barely picked up the office book for days.

To be honest, I first discovered the office in the sense of being a resource - something to be used as and when it was appropriate or helpful - and only more recently have I become aware that for some people, saying that you "pray the office" implies that you do so in a highly disciplined, regular manner.

Now I can see that ideally one would follow a rhythm of prayer in a disciplined fashion. But equally part of the appeal of the office is that it is the prayer of the church, the church's unceasing prayer and praise to God, and that (to quote Basil Moss, who compares it to playing in an orchestra), "When we pray, we take up our fiddles, and when we stop we put them down again - but the music never stops".

That does at least suggest that a certain amount of personal indiscipline need not necessarily undermine the nature of the office itself.

What do other people think? How disciplined are you in sticking to particular rhythm of daily prayer?

--------------------
"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart."

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
So in the St. Helena, what is supposed to come before "Do not forsake me..." on p.40? (Brand spanking new Christian here, and it seems vaguely familiar even to me, but I can't think of what must come before it.)

The Monday Diurnum Respond on p. 40 should read:

Reader: You have been my helper; leave me not.
Response: Do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.

Fortunately, I haven't found any other errors of that magnitude (leaving out an entire line of text). Don't blame the sisters; it's Church Publishing that retypeset the book and isn't quite as careful as the sisters are.

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I can see that ideally one would follow a rhythm of prayer in a disciplined fashion. But equally part of the appeal of the office is that it is the prayer of the church, the church's unceasing prayer and praise to God, and that (to quote Basil Moss, who compares it to playing in an orchestra), "When we pray, we take up our fiddles, and when we stop we put them down again - but the music never stops".

That does at least suggest that a certain amount of personal indiscipline need not necessarily undermine the nature of the office itself.

What do other people think? How disciplined are you in sticking to particular rhythm of daily prayer?

Yes, I think of the office as something I ought to do, as well as something that's beneficial to me (which it most definitely is). I sing Morning Prayer/Lauds every day - although last week I didn't get around to it till afternoon a couple of days! (I just finished a job, so am not getting up at dawn right now.) I think it's important to set time aside for this no matter what.

It's a nice feeling to think I might be starting Morning Prayer ("Oh Lord, open thou our lips") just when somebody else has stopped "Thanks be to God"), BTW! Never thought of it quite like that before.

I know some people say or sing both MP and EP daily, which seems like a lot for me, right now. But I think I'd like to get into at least an abbreviated version of EP at some point, too.

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I've just read elsewhere that Newman House Press are shortly to bring out a new edition of their office book which has Lauds and Vespers from the current RC Liturgy of the Hours in both Latin and English.

The new edition will have the propers for most of the litugical year (Advent, Lent, Solemnities and Feasts and ordinary time), rather than just the basic four-week cycle as had the previous edition.

The cost is to be $55 USD. Another must-have for my library!

Contact the publisher here. As yet, they only have the previous edition on their website.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latin and English! Yum, yum.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pisco Sours
Apprentice
# 11609

- Posted      Profile for Pisco Sours   Author's homepage   Email Pisco Sours   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Discipline or resource? Well, ideally both; I'm trying not so much to get through four services every day no matter what, but I am trying to get to the readings each day and I'm attempting the full Psalter in 30 days for the first time. The Daily Office is a good way for me to frame that.

I need to be a little, shall we say, flexible at times, but I think at an absolute minimum the readings and psalms are essential each day.

Oh, and the Phos. I get tiny little shivers every time I recite that.

Time for Compline! Good night. [Snore]

lizw
Apprentice
# 11281

- Posted      Profile for lizw   Author's homepage   Email lizw       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What is the Phos? (I shall probably discover that I am reciting it every day without realising it...)
Posts: 30 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

quote:
Originally posted by lizw:
quote:

What is the Phos? (I shall probably discover that I am reciting it every day without realising it...)
"Phos Hilaron" - the evening hymn of the Eastern Church. The best-known English translation is probably John Keble's "Hail, Gladdening Light", though there are a number of others.

Interesting Wikipedia article on the subject, here.

--------------------

achew
Apprentice
# 9924

- Posted      Profile for achew   Email achew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its a disciplined form of prayer for me since my younger days and has seen me through very difficult periods of my life.

There are times when spontaneous prayer seems very tough and you wonder where God is - and when I pray the office I hear God speak to me through the psalms, very often addressing the very difficulties that I am facing then.

As such, I make it a discipline to pray the office (4 fold Anglican CCP or CW:DP) as regularly as possible, trying to stick to times that I have programmed my watch to alert me to!

Posts: 5 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Discipline or resource? Well, ideally both; I'm trying not so much to get through four services every day no matter what, but I am trying to get to the readings each day and I'm attempting the full Psalter in 30 days for the first time. The Daily Office is a good way for me to frame that.

I need to be a little, shall we say, flexible at times, but I think at an absolute minimum the readings and psalms are essential each day.

We have a little worship session before and after each of my EFM classes. I used the Phos hilarion for my first [Big Grin] . I've almost memorized the chant we use for it during our Evensong.

The 30 day psalter was my first attempt in recent life at "daily devotions". I am thinking of adding that back in to my Compline-plus-scripture from lectionary routine. It's a wonderful way to become familiar with the psalter.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pisco Sours
Apprentice
# 11609

How essential is singing or chanting the Daily Office? The reason I ask is that my voice is so bad I don't even sing in the shower. I just kind of... murmur it to myself so far.
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually read the Office (as in speed-read), and I can carry a tune. But chanting or singing is nice; it adds at least one other dimension to the experience.

Chanting is just speaking on pitch, so don't sweat it.

You might also want to get SSJE's Guard Us Sleeping (also available through Amazon) to hear the office sung. Or listen to the Beeb evensong (etc.).

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How essential is singing or chanting the Daily Office? The reason I ask is that my voice is so bad I don't even sing in the shower. I just kind of... murmur it to myself so far.

Likewise; I feel that it is unfair to my fellow passengers on the 'bus to inflict my singing on them!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

Talking of Phos Hilaron, does anyone know of a tune for the following version as found in Celebrating Common Prayer?
quote:
O gladsome light, of the holy glory of the immortal Father,*
heavenly, holy, blessèd Jesus Christ.
2 Now that we have come to the setting of the sun
and behold the light of evening,*
we praise you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3 For it is right at all times to worship you
with voices of praise,*
O Son of God and giver of life:
therefore all the world glorifies you.

Or is it just intended to be sung to Anglican (or other) chant?

As for singing/chanting generally - I enjoy singing the psalms to Anglican chant in private, and have also been known to use a Lutheran setting of matins, vespers and compline - many of the chants work well with the CCP/CW:DP texts.

However, when on the train or at the office I tend to "recite" rather than sing - and by "recite" I just mean moving my lips with barely any sound (which I find preferable to just reading the words, and also in keeping with Hebrews 13:15). That is one reason for my switching from CW:DP to the RC Divine Office - the Grail psalms seem to work better for recitation than the CW psalter.

And as has been discussed on the Vespers and Matins thread, there can be something very powerful and moving about a simple recitation of the office - as I discovered recently when attending evening prayer at the Anglican Shrine at Walsingham.

--------------------

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
Talking of Phos Hilaron, does anyone know of a tune for the following version as found in Celebrating Common Prayer?

Try Andre Gouzes' setting. You can also find a Ukrainian setting on St Gregory's Website.

King's College, London produced recordings of the Gouzes' Evensong setting written for CCP. I suppose the music must be published somewhere.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
O gladsome light, of the holy glory of the immortal Father,*
heavenly, holy, blessèd Jesus Christ.
2 Now that we have come to the setting of the sun
and behold the light of evening,*
we praise you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3 For it is right at all times to worship you
with voices of praise,*
O Son of God and giver of life:
therefore all the world glorifies you.

Or is it just intended to be sung to Anglican (or other) chant?

Yes: it's in the archives of the former Anglican Cistercian monastery at West Malling.

[ETA: Yes to John's first question!]

[ 04. July 2006, 20:30: Message edited by: angloid ]

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Double post to add, the link I gave goes directly to the office of Vespers. Fr Aelred requests that you email him if you want to download it, as it is copyright.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If murmuring is what works for you, simply think of it your own particular form of chant.

For those of us who love to sing, the physical act of singing or chanting adds something extra. But on a more practical level, what many of us find is that chanting or singing forces us to slow down and pay attention to the words.

Murmuring would serve just as well, if that's what you are comfortable with - the point is to be aware of how you are shaping the phrases of what you are reading, what words you are choosing to emphasize and why, and how that effects the sense of what is being said.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the Book of Alternative Services. Previously I used the Book of Common Prayer. I am considering investing in an Anglican Breviary, but its 120 bucks. (Or about five bucks US).
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I like singing/chanting because it forces me to breathe more deeply than ordinary recital of words does. Here's an interesting article about why that's a good thing.

I'm sure a person could develop a way of breathing deeply without singing, though, as jlg and others have suggested. I'm just too lazy, is all. [Biased]

And, I love to sing, so it's a pleasure.

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As much as I hate to admit it, singing/chanting isn't necessary at all. If I were spiritually stronger, I could keep my interest in the office alive even if I recited it. But I am worthless and weak, and so need to sing it to keep interested.

I do agree with the others who gave positive spiritual reasons for chanting the office. But in my heart of hearts, I know I just couldn't do it if I didn't sing it.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

Just won a copy of Howard Galley's 1980 Prayer Book Office in near-mint condition on eBay. The only one currently listed on the Abebooks catalogue is selling for around £80 Sterling. I obtained my copy for less than half that price!

Scott, I believe that you heartily recommend this office book. Have you found it useful?

I think it's a pretty hard-to-find book now.

DIVINE OFFICE

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
Just won a copy of Howard Galley's 1980 Prayer Book Office in near-mint condition on eBay. The only one currently listed on the Abebooks catalogue is selling for around £80 Sterling. I obtained my copy for less than half that price!

Scott, I believe that you heartily recommend this office book. Have you found it useful?

I think it's a pretty hard-to-find book now.

Congratulations! Yes, Galley's PBO is a highly regarded and very useful working-out of the BCP 1979 Daily Office texts and rubrics. Wish they'd reprint it. Another excellent one is the new Saint Helena Breviary: Personal Edition.
leemc
Apprentice
# 11141

- Posted      Profile for leemc   Author's homepage   Email leemc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this is properly a Daily Office topic, but I recently ordered Andrew Burnham's Pocket Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion and I was wondering if any of the folks here are familiar with this resource and what they thought of it. In addition to containing a service for morning and evening prayer, it also appears to have other devotional resources for those of an A-C bent (I recently started attending an A-C parish here in Boston so I thought I should educate myself. [Biased] )
Posts: 16 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leemc:
I'm not sure if this is properly a Daily Office topic, but I recently ordered Andrew Burnham's Pocket Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion and I was wondering if any of the folks here are familiar with this resource and what they thought of it. In addition to containing a service for morning and evening prayer, it also appears to have other devotional resources for those of an A-C bent (I recently started attending an A-C parish here in Boston so I thought I should educate myself. [Biased] )

Funnily enough, I was looking at a copy of this at our local SPCK bookshop today, and I was tempted ! [Two face]
It looks extremely comprehensive and user-friendly.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did succumb to temptation today whislt browsing bookshops, and bought the big blue hardback version of Celebrating Common Prayer.

I also looked at Common Worship:Daily Prayer, but the CCP seemed much more useful for me, and I liked the layout better.

I particularly liked the CCP "short" offices which can be used for family devotions.

Quite why I *needed* yet another prayer book I haven`t yet been able to fathom [Big Grin]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
Quite why I *needed* yet another prayer book I haven`t yet been able to fathom

I know the feeling. But you're among friends here. [Smile]

--------------------

Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

I have a copy of the hardback edition of Andrew Burnham's Manual of Anglo-Catholic Devotion.

It's quite a nice book, with plenty of useful material, including the Rosary and Stations of the Cross and a version of the Roman Morning, Evening and Night Prayer using the CW psalter instead of the Grail psalter and with slightly better translations of the canticles. There are also basic orders of Matins and Evensong based on the BCP offices, as well as an Order of Mass based on the CW rite with various Catholic additions such as the Orate, fratres.

I've only looked through the pocket edition very briefly, but I think it has much the same material, including the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary, which the hardback edition does not have.

As I said, it's a nice book, but in some ways I prefer the older Manual of Catholic Devotion, the last edition of which was published by the Church Union in 1969, and which can now command a fairly high price, usually around £25.

I got my copy for 50p at a retreat many years ago!

DIVINE OFFICE

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
Quite why I *needed* yet another prayer book I haven`t yet been able to fathom

I know the feeling. But you're among friends here. [Smile]
Prayer books are like chocolates-- you don't need more of them, but they sure are nice to have.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

An excellent closing sentiment.

It's time this thread went to Limbo as a reference source before it becomes so huge as to be useless (assuming it hasn't already passed that point).

jlg/Ecclesiantics host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016