homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily offices (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily offices
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
About me--ECUSA, wanting to deepen my prayer life by praying the daily office. I have read this whole thread with great interest, but gosh, there is so much out there, it is all rather confusing to me about what sort of daily office or breviary to choose. Right now I use the 1979 BCP and my RSV, and do MP and EP or Compline. I shan't be chanting or singing anything during my private devotions (though I do have those lovely CDs from the Society of St. John).

I'd like something in one volume; I have a big tote bag I take with me each day to work so the book doesn't have to be tiny, if I want to take it with me.

So ... would that 2 volume "Daily Office" be the thing for me? (I think I would only need to carry 1 of them with me, since they cover Year 1 and year 2). I've started attending a liberal AC church here in Washington and it is soooo lovely to hear Rite I language again!! (Which is why I don't know if the 1 volume "Contemporary Office" is what I really want.) I was rather chagrined to read that the "Daily Office" set has typos. [Hot and Hormonal]

I have the two volume ECUSA daily office book. I don't fret about reading two lessons in the AM and two in the PM, as I usually just read all the lessons for the day through before I do Compline. It is bigger than pocket-sized but small enough to tuck nicely into a lot of bags. You also have your choice between the Old and True and New and True language for the offices, unlike the "contemporary" book (although the psalter and the lections are either RSV or NSRV). As noted up thread, if you get one, check the psalter in Year One; there seems to have been a run of printing errors. I had to return the first copy that I got. Otherwise I really love it, although four ribbons isn't enough [Biased] .

You can download the office for handheld from the good folks at Mission St. Clare.

I also have some of the CDs from SSJE; when I don't feel like reading Compline, or want the music, I punch it up on the CD player. When I finally get an iPod, it will probably be one of the first things I burn on it.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Managed to answer a couple of my own questions. The office of the dead does indeed begin at First Vespers of the day of burial.

Also, for All Souls, the day of burial, and the 1 year anniversary of the day of burial, matins is of 3 nocturns. What I didn't know is that this office is often recited on mondays in Lent in some traditions and (being of the feria) only has a single nocturn, as one might expect.

That leaves Questions 1 and 2, concerning the little hours and 2 Vespsers and commemorations/suffrage still open for those who may be able to provide help.

Thanks

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choirboy,

I am sorry to hear of your friend's death and pray that God would comfort you through this time.

About your "Question 1: is anything done for the little hours or second vespers?":

While this answer may not be definitive, "Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary" does have Terce, Sext, and None in its Office for the Dead. The psalms are as follows:

Terce: 42, 43, 122
Sext: 123, 124, 125
None: 126, 127, 128

This book provides only one Vespers.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

J.S. Bach

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many of us are using the new edition of Common Worship: Daily Prayer? It is pretty good, but one major gripe I have with it is that it is impossible to find out which psalms are to be used without buying (and carting about) the yearly lectionary booklet. WHY couldn't they have printed a simple table of psalms to be used over a month?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Amazing Grace (Charlotte),

Thanks! You have 'enabled' me! I'll get the 2 volume ECUSA Daily Office. I also got the Benedictine daily office that several folks recommended. Perhaps I'll end up taking the plunge and getting the Anglican Breviary too, at some point.

I am very grateful to everyone for their helpful advice!

Hilda

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, you're well on your way to breviary addiction, Hilda. Soon you'll be scouring the shelves with the rest of us, in search of the elusive seven-ribboned Shorter Christian Prayer.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you interested in something a bit different, the Melkite Catholics in the USA have published a new edition of the Horologion (Byzantine Office Book). It is published by Sophia Press Rumor has it that it is quite nice and the price is very good, only $39.50.

[ 17. March 2006, 18:04: Message edited by: teddybear ]

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You have 'enabled' me! I'll get the 2 volume ECUSA Daily Office. I also got the Benedictine daily office that several folks recommended. Perhaps I'll end up taking the plunge and getting the Anglican Breviary too, at some point.

You know, Hilda, it never stops. Once whetted, the appetite is never sated.

I've been using BDP since last July, and I've been very happy with it. I often complement the Vigils with a reading from 'From the fathers to the churches' and/or 'Celebrating the Saints'.

Dave

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
Oh, you're well on your way to breviary addiction, Hilda. Soon you'll be scouring the shelves with the rest of us, in search of the elusive seven-ribboned Shorter Christian Prayer.

Seven ribbons?! Mine's only got the one!

(Yes, I got it because you mentioned it. The structure of the Roman Offices is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I like the fact that it has hymn words in the back. I own a Hymnal, but this is so much easier to pack.)

Charlotte

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Seven ribbons?! Mine's only got the one!

Return it immediately. It's clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.

Dave

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK, most of them only have one, that's why the seven-ribboned one is so elusive!

(I am actually using Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours (Daughters of St. Paul, 1976), which has only six and two well-placed Holy Cards. And the hymn words in each office. I got it at Powell's on a whim and rather like it.)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
GK, most of them only have one, that's why the seven-ribboned one is so elusive!

(I am actually using Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours (Daughters of St. Paul, 1976), which has only six and two well-placed Holy Cards. And the hymn words in each office. I got it at Powell's on a whim and rather like it.)

My Saint Helena Breviary has zero ribbon markers. I am currently navigating it by means of:

a. A Detroit Institute of Arts bookmark (at the Ordinary of Lent A)
b. A Thanksgiving Day offering envelope from my parish (at the current Sunday)
c. A holy card of St Gregory the Great from my friend James (in the Common of Saints - not used much in Lent)
d. Our parish's annual Christmas bookmark (at St Joseph's Day in the Proper of Saints)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
<snip> I usually just read all the lessons for the day through before I do Compline...

But you must change into your jammies before you do Compline. It's liturgically correct. [Biased]

[messed up code]

[ 18. March 2006, 16:47: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

But of course! I heard that some people show up for St Mark's Seattle's weekly sung Compline in their jammies. Perhaps a PNW shipmate may care to comment on that.

I am usually in bed, under the covers, sitting up when I read it. My Maya-cat of blessed memory used to curl up on my lap and purr while I did so [Angel] .

It was a bit odd at the Colorado meet when I was wearing street clothes and didn't immediately try to go to sleep after our Compline service.

Charlotte

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

I think the only prayer I'm ever upright for is Evening Prayer. I read Morning and Compline while in bed, and sometimes for MP I can barely peel the one eyelid back far enough to see the words. Not a Morning Person.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I've been using LOTH, I've been saying Ps 95 as my Invitatory. I'm aware that Pss 100, 67 and 24 are substitutable for this. Are there customs about how to rotate these? Seasonally? Other a week? Four-week Psalter? What do others do?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that, for most of us, Morning Prayer is the first office of the day - in which case the Invitatory Psalm and its antiphon may be omitted, and the problem does not arise!
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:
I suspect that, for most of us, Morning Prayer is the first office of the day - in which case the Invitatory Psalm and its antiphon may be omitted, and the problem does not arise!

I believe the norm for the Roman LOH is that the invitatory is used for the first office of the day; for Office of Readings if that happens before Lauds, or at Lauds if that is the first office. Perhaps even at the Mid-day office if nothing else is said before that.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is indeed the usual pattern, and that is where the Invitatory is placed; but it is not required. The actual rubric in LOH at the appropriate place is:
'The Invitatory Psalm and its antiphon may be omitted when Morning Prayer is the first Office said in the day'.
See also the General Instruction on the Liturgy of the Hours, par. 35:
'The invitatory is placed at the beginning of the whole sequence of the day's prayer, that is, it precedes either morning prayer or the office of readings, whichever of these liturgical rites begins the day. The invitatory psalm with its antiphon may be omitted, however, when the invitatory is the prelude to morning prayer.'

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly in this parish, where the ministry team are expected to recite the full Liturgy of the Hours, it is always the Venite.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First week of trying out the English Office Book. Quite a bit of a nostalgia evoked. Started off the daily office with 'Day Hours' years back. Got stuck a bit figuring out precedence of feasts and priviledged days and figured that St Joseph is transfered to Monday. Fun doing the commemoration bits after the office. Coverdale Psalms are a bit harder to handle. Think they are translated for singing and not for praying as poetry. Maybe I'll use the English Office alongside the Psalter of Common Worship. CW Psalms are really decently done up as poetry, with stophes clear in the layout and stanzas separated by some refrain rubric.

Now I'm itching for Pfatteicher's 'Daily Prayer of the Church' and will then start a Breviary Anonymous chapter. How portable is Ptatteicher's book? Is his selection of antiphons excitingly catholic with motherofgod everywhere or safe like Common Worship?

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:
Since I've been using LOTH, I've been saying Ps 95 as my Invitatory. I'm aware that Pss 100, 67 and 24 are substitutable for this. Are there customs about how to rotate these? Seasonally? Other a week? Four-week Psalter? What do others do?

Always Ps 95 for me; at the beginning of Vigils, without exception (well, except for days when it's not used, of course!).

Dave

J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Now I'm itching for Pfatteicher's 'Daily Prayer of the Church' and will then start a Breviary Anonymous chapter. How portable is Ptatteicher's book? Is his selection of antiphons excitingly catholic with motherofgod everywhere or safe like Common Worship?

I've been using Pfatteicher's excellent book regularly since the beginning of 2006, except when on travel because of its size and weight. This hardcover book measures 5.75 x 7.75 x 2.25 inches and uses "standard" paper as opposed to "Bible" paper. The antiphons mostly come from Galley's Prayer Book Office and the RC Liturgy of the Hours. Using your word, I would consider them "safe."

J.S. Bach

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
I've been using Pfatteicher's excellent book regularly since the beginning of 2006, except when on travel because of its size and weight. This hardcover book measures 5.75 x 7.75 x 2.25 inches and uses "standard" paper as opposed to "Bible" paper. The antiphons mostly come from Galley's Prayer Book Office and the RC Liturgy of the Hours. Using your word, I would consider them "safe."

I'd concur with this! Pfatteicher has produced a splendid working-out of the Lutheran Book of Worship (LBW) office. Never mind that the LBW is about to be superseded: Pfatteicher's book should serve well for many years. I only wish he'd tell us which psalm tones to use with each psalm, canticle, etc.; I don't like to decide these things.
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is interested, there is an original edition of the OUP Monastic Diurnal on eBay at the present time, ie the same one which will be reprinted by Lancelot Andrewes Press shortly.

It is in mint condition and the bidding currently stands at about £20. However, I suspect that it will ultimately sell for much more!

DIVINE OFFICE

Craigmaddie
c/o The Pickwick Club
# 8367

- Posted      Profile for Craigmaddie   Author's homepage   Email Craigmaddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently using the Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer and had a question: when does one say the Lenten antiphon? Before the invitatory psalm? Is this antiphon repeated at any point during morning or evening prayer?

--------------------
Via Veritas Vita

Posts: 1093 | From: Scotchland, Europeshire | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

Curious. Does the OUP Monastic Diurnal print the Psalms alloted for Matins in an appendix?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Craigmaddie:
I'm currently using the Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer and had a question: when does one say the Lenten antiphon? Before the invitatory psalm? Is this antiphon repeated at any point during morning or evening prayer?

Yes, it's said before (and optionally after) the Invitatory psalm, assuming you mean the Lenten antiphon toward the bottom of p. 2. Once you've completed the Invitatory psalm, that antiphon isn't used again.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Curious. Does the OUP Monastic Diurnal print the Psalms alloted for Matins in an appendix?

No, unfortunately. I just looked.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't know about this particular book. A general rule of thumb I've seen in other books is to denote the bit surrounding the invitatory by "invitatory" and the bit around the psalms by "antiphon". If you've only got one bit of text, then I guess this suggestion doesn't help.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone,

I just got my copy of the 1 vol. Benedictine daily office book, and I really like it ... but well, gee, I have never used something like this before. Compared to the BCP and the lectionary, this is rather complicated. I used it last night for compline and this morning for virgil and lauds (I read V. and L. back to back--I woke up at about 4:45 AM and couldn't get back to sleep).

I am pretty sure I have it sort of figured out--it took a great deal of flipping around--but is there a "guide to the use of the Daily Office" that anyone could recommend? The intro pages in the book are rather useless, although I did go to the sections they mentioned and was able to halfway figure out what I was supposed to be doing, so perhaps the intro wasn't all THAT bad ... but I think I need something more. The intro pre-supposes that you know what you are doing.

I saw something called "Daily Office for Dodos" but the tone of it seemed really jarring--kind of jokey--and that *isn't* what I am looking for.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Hilda

--------------------

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

Oops, I wrote:

quote:
I saw something called "Daily Office for Dodos" but the tone of it seemed really jarring--kind of jokey--and that *isn't* what I am looking for.
I meant "The Divine Office for Dodos", but everything else applies.

H.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I am pretty sure I have it sort of figured out--it took a great deal of flipping around--but is there a "guide to the use of the Daily Office" that anyone could recommend? The intro pages in the book are rather useless, although I did go to the sections they mentioned and was able to halfway figure out what I was supposed to be doing, so perhaps the intro wasn't all THAT bad ... but I think I need something more. The intro pre-supposes that you know what you are doing.

Especially in this era of the Internet, I think it's criminal for anyone to publish something like Benedictine Daily Prayer without putting up a Web site of helpful information. Such a site for BDP could have a complete Ordo, giving page numbers and other guidance for each day, or at least a set of examples to show how solemnities, feasts, and ferias work, for example, or how to incorporate the second week of Vigils and Lauds materials. [Mad]
Craigmaddie
c/o The Pickwick Club
# 8367

- Posted      Profile for Craigmaddie   Author's homepage   Email Craigmaddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
quote:

Yes, it's said before (and optionally after) the Invitatory psalm, assuming you mean the Lenten antiphon toward the bottom of p. 2. Once you've completed the Invitatory psalm, that antiphon isn't used again.
Thanks, Scott. I notice that the Invitatory psalm has an instruction to repeat the antiphon after every 'verse' - would this also apply to the Lenten antiphon as well?

Plus, sorry for being thick, folks, but after you have said "O Lord make haste to help us/O God come to our aid" do you say a "Glory Be"?

Does anyone incorporate posture and/or gesture into their reading of the Daily Office? I read in a brief introduction to the subject that you should bow at the "Glory Be" and cross yourself at the beginning of the Magnifact, Benedictus, and Nunc Dimittis and also at the name of Christ. Does anyone follow this practice?

--------------------
Via Veritas Vita

Posts: 1093 | From: Scotchland, Europeshire | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I do - also the cross on the lips at 'O Lord open...' and full cross at'O God make speed....'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Thanks, Scott. I notice that the Invitatory psalm has an instruction to repeat the antiphon after every 'verse' - would this also apply to the Lenten antiphon as well?

Plus, sorry for being thick, folks, but after you have said "O Lord make haste to help us/O God come to our aid" do you say a "Glory Be"?

Does anyone incorporate posture and/or gesture into their reading of the Daily Office? I read in a brief introduction to the subject that you should bow at the "Glory Be" and cross yourself at the beginning of the Magnifact, Benedictus, and Nunc Dimittis and also at the name of Christ. Does anyone follow this practice?

Any antiphon used with the Invitatory psalm may be said before the psalm only, or before and after the psalm and its Gloria Patri, or after every verse of the psalm, or every couple of verses. I go for before and after.

Glory Be or Glory to the Father...is customary after the opening versicles of any office. I'm not sure why it's left out in some office books.

I do the crossings and bows that have been mentioned. In our church, we also genuflect in the Invitatory psalm at "Come, let us bow down and bend the knee..." and do a bow in the Magnificat at "And holy is his Name."

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While at Our Lady of Hardwark, we bow at "Let us worship and fall down" in the Venite and at "and Holy is his name" in the Magnificat. Diversity of practice should be a cherished thing.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Special postures: for MP, I make sure I have one eye opened.

--------------------

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

quote:
Especially in this era of the Internet, I think it's criminal for anyone to publish something like Benedictine Daily Prayer without putting up a Web site of helpful information. Such a site for BDP could have a complete Ordo, giving page numbers and other guidance for each day, or at least a set of examples to show how solemnities, feasts, and ferias work, for example, or how to incorporate the second week of Vigils and Lauds materials. [Mad]

I seem to recall rather rashly saying I would do this a while ago, didn't I?

I'll set to it over the Easter Vac. I can't promise a full daily ordo, but I can certainly produce something that will help out beginners.

Watch this space...

Dave

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding postures: In my Presbyterian childood at the principal Sunday service of morning prayer, at the end of the responsive reading (basically the Psalm), I remember leaping to my feet to sing the Gloria Patri. As a young child, I always found this impressive.

I had occasion to be on the East Coast in New York last weekend. At evening prayer, read in choir at St. Mary the Virgin, Times Square, I had a flashback to those times. At the end of the psalm, we stood, bowed and read the Gloria Patri. At almost all of the other catholic services of morning and evening prayer in my experience (and they have been at quite a variety of places over the years), the posture for the Gloria Patri has been to remain seated, bowing forward until the mention of the Spirit.

Can anyone tell me the heritage of these distinct practices?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Divine Office
Shipmate
# 10558

- Posted      Profile for Divine Office         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just seen from the Lancelot Andrewes Press website that the reprint of The Monastic Diurnal is now ready for shipping.

It looks like a handsome book. I can't wait to receive mine!

DIVINE OFFICE

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
quote:

I seem to recall rather rashly saying I would do this a while ago, didn't I?

I'll set to it over the Easter Vac. I can't promise a full daily ordo, but I can certainly produce something that will help out beginners.

Watch this space...

Great! And please be assured my "mad" emoticon was directed at the compiler/publisher of the BDP for not giving more help.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:
Just seen from the Lancelot Andrewes Press website that the reprint of The Monastic Diurnal is now ready for shipping.

It looks like a handsome book. I can't wait to receive mine!

Same here. Here's a picture.
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

I wrote:

quote:
I am pretty sure I have it sort of figured out--it took a great deal of flipping around--but is there a "guide to the use of the Daily Office" that anyone could recommend? The intro pages in the book are rather useless <snip> The intro pre-supposes that you know what you are doing.
Scott--thanks for your outrage on my behalf! [Smile]

David--whenever you have time, that web guide to BDP would be a Godsend! [Angel]

Don't get me wrong--BDP IS do-able, but it takes the divvil's own flipping of pages and lotsa head-scratching. A guide to the perplexed would be terrific, and I agree with Scott--the publishers should provide it. Isn't there an annual guide to the LOTH? (Is "ordo" the technical term?)

I also just got my 2 volume ECUSA Daily Office, and I just loooooove it; now I can read the offices without constantly flipping from the order of service in the BCP, to the lectionary in the back of the BCP, and then to my RSV ... wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help!

Hilda

--------------------

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Office:

Thanks be to God! I was beginning to get a nervous tick thinking it would be late April before I had mine. I see they cashed my check two days ago....for the next few days/weeks I will be racing home at the end of the day to look for packages!

For people who use the MD, what do you do for Matins/Office of Readings/Whatever you call it? I have a (borrowed) copy of Douglas's "Order of Matins" for the Sisters of Saint Mary (NY) from 1916, which is very doable. But I miss the patristic readings. Also, I would like to chant the antiphons. This book is generally linked to the BCP readings for the old calendar.

Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For people who use the MD, what do you do for Matins/Office of Readings/Whatever you call it?
There was an companion Benedictine Matins volume printed by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Wales.

quote:
I have a (borrowed) copy of Douglas's "Order of Matins" for the Sisters of Saint Mary (NY) from 1916, which is very doable.
That's an interesting book, and while it retains the psalter, none of the patristic or hagiographical readings are included.

quote:
This book is generally linked to the BCP readings for the old calendar.
As would anything printed before 1969, I'd assume.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
As would anything printed before 1969, I'd assume.

Yes, er., quite. That was not very bright of me. I think I was going to place another question in there about what people do for calendars when using such books, but took it out. Not enough coffee yet.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
quote:
I have a (borrowed) copy of Douglas's "Order of Matins" for the Sisters of Saint Mary (NY) from 1916, which is very doable.
That's an interesting book, and while it retains the psalter, none of the patristic or hagiographical readings are included.
Is the 1916 book the one with three psalms appointed at Matins and the psalms spread out over a month? If so, that's influenced by the historic Quinones Breviary, both in the psalm arrangement and the focus on everything being from scripture, so no patristics, pious unscriptural antiphons, etc. I have a copy of the CSM Matins, but from the 1930s or 40s.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Is the 1916 book the one with three psalms appointed at Matins and the psalms spread out over a month? If so, that's influenced by the historic Quinones Breviary, both in the psalm arrangement and the focus on everything being from scripture, so no patristics, pious unscriptural antiphons, etc. I have a copy of the CSM Matins, but from the 1930s or 40s.

Yes it is. As I said, very doable. If I recall correctly, using this with the Monastic Diurnal, you'd get through the whole psalter at matins in a month and also would get through the whole psalter using the MD every two weeks (? some period of time?), so you sort of have two "clocks" going.

So matins in this scheme is essentially a single nocturn (If I'm doing it correctly): opening preces, psalm 3, venite, office hymn, 3 psalms, Lord's prayer, absolution, blessing, and lesson. On Sundays, next comes the Te Deum, gospel and another hymn (Te decet hymnus?). Ferias have a short chapter instead. Both conclude with collect of the day, dismissal, Lord's prayer (silently).

The scriptural antiphon texts are fine, although this book contains no music, and I'd really prefer to sing them. And nonetheless, I do enjoy the patristic readings.

[code]

[ 24. March 2006, 15:34: Message edited by: Choirboy ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
So matins in this scheme is essentially a single nocturn (If I'm doing it correctly): opening preces, psalm 3, venite, office hymn, 3 psalms, Lord's prayer, absolution, blessing, and lesson. On Sundays, next comes the Te Deum, gospel and another hymn (Te decet hymnus?). Ferias have a short chapter instead. Both conclude with collect of the day, dismissal, Lord's prayer (silently).

The scriptural antiphon texts are fine, although this book contains no music, and I'd really prefer to sing them. And nonetheless, I do enjoy the patristic readings.

I think you've got it. It took me a long time to figure it out; wherever my copy is, it has a sheet in it on which I outlined the order of things so I wouldn't have to wonder anymore. [Smile]

One thing that's always of interest to me when I look at how monastic communities pray the office is how they do Matins (or Vigils). I'd say probably more than half do not sing that office but say it. One seemingly traditional way of saying the psalms at Matins is to have the members take turns reciting whole psalms while the others listen. Quite a different experience from antiphonal chanting. St Gregory's Abbey in Michigan has individual psalm recitation; the one reading a psalm turns on his reading lamp in his stall and recites the psalm (some do it slowly and contemplatively; others rather swiftly and matter-of-factly), then turns off the lamp when done.

At Saint Meinrad Archabbey, there is a bit of singing during Vigils (responsories at least), but the psalms are said; some are said alternating between leader and all; others alternate from side to side. What indicates which method is to be used is the location of the leader (hebdomadarian): if he's at the ambo, it's leader versus all; if at his place in choir; it's antiphonal from side to side.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016