homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily offices (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily offices
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:
1) P. Stravinskas, Lauds and Vespers (Latin-English, Per Annum). This was published in 2001 and reprinted in 2003. The corresponding volumes for saints and seasons have not been published and I suspect they won't be.

Actually, I wrote to Fr Stravinskas as while back and they are working hard on revising and completing this. Back then I had the impression that it would be finished "soon", but it has been some months.

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Ah, Melbourne. Sigh.

Since you live in Adelaide you may be interested to hear that we've currently got a FSSP priest-in-training for Adelaide here in Melbourne.
quote:
FSSP Melbourne writes:
Welcome also to Rev Mr Michael McCaffrey: Following his ordination to the Diaconate last November (in the US), Mr McCaffrey was assigned to the Canberra apostolate to assist Fr Webb. We are grateful to Mr McCaffrey for his assistance during Bishop Prowse’s visit. As previously advertised, Mr Mcaffrey will be ordained to the Priesthood on Saturday 24th June in the Adelaide Cathedral by Archbishop Wilson.

He will then start offering an indult Tridentine mass there and if all goes well as it has in Melbourne, I assume the LOH will follow shortly.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a supremely happy camper at the moment, as my dear husband and I have agreed to buy gifts for each other instead of Easter eggs.

He wanted the A Team series on dvd. Duly ordered.

I have negotiated a cash sum contribution towards the LA Monastic Diurnal, which has in turn been duly ordered and I have had an email back to say it will be despatched on Monday morning [Yipee]

DH did nearly expire with shock when he found that I was quite willing to cough up £40 for a prayer book though [Biased]

I may well be able to order the Farnborough diurnal in a few weeks .
Happy, happy, happy!

[ 03. April 2006, 01:44: Message edited by: Boadicea Trott ]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Echoing others, I have found the Monastic Diurnal and Monastic Diurnal Noted an easy resource for chanting the day hours in English. The amount of flipping really is minimal, and so far the two books stand on their own. Do need to get a decent set of ribbons for my MDN though.

Don't know about Latin sources.

I am glad to find someone who has problems praying the office unless it is sung. I thought that was just me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - forgot also to mention the drawback of not having a great source for sung matins easily available. I do have a borrowed copy of Douglas's "The Order of Matins" from 1916, but no music (other than St. Dunstan Psalter for psalms/canticles).
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got my copy of 'Daily Prayer of the Church'. Big Thank-You to all who recommended it. It is really good, drawing for material from really diverse sources. I really appreciate the short lessons drawn from the daily office lectionary, which makes it usable without a bible, and the inclusion of the traditional prayers.

The book needs a companion version to cover feasts and the lesser festivals.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Monastic Diurnal arrived this morning, only three days after it was posted from USA.

It`s extremely compact but very comprehensive, and I am looking forward to using it regularly [Yipee]

I was pleased to discover that a Yahoo group has been set up to help people use it and to provide a weekly Ordo from the AWRV.

--------------------

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just popping in to tell you a neat little thing:

Get some coloured ribbons at any sewing store, in the colours of the seasons of the Liturgical year. Take a 3 x 5 index card and cut it to the width of the spine of your book, about 4 inches long. Measure your ribbons so that they will hang out the sides of your book but not extend too far from the bottom (this is so that they won't get crushed when you put the book into a bookcase). Then sew your ribbons onto the card, cut the card down to a point, place the card between your book's binding and its inner spine, extend your ribbons to their length and trim them according to your preference. This will make you a nice set of ribbons for your office books, Bibles, etc., without the expense you'd have to go to to buy the ribbons they sell for books of that kind (and those ribbons that you buy, in my experience, fray more easily than good ribbon that you buy by the yard.) I bought enough ribbon to last a while, about 7 years ago, and whenever my ribbons get frayed or faded, I just make me a new set. It takes only a few minutes. You will love 'em, I guarantee.

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
I was pleased to discover that a Yahoo group has been set up to help people use it and to provide a weekly Ordo from the AWRV.

Thanks for this - I've just signed up. It is run by someone with contacts to LA Press and St. Mark's (Antiochian) Orthodox church, Denver. So the Ordo they are promising is from that point of view, although everyone is welcome to enter into discussion on various MD issues.

Originally posted by Magic Wand:
quote:
There was an companion Benedictine Matins volume printed by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Wales.
Unofficially announced on said Yahoo group: it appears LA Press has hopes (not plans, not permission, but hopes) to reprint this volume. Does anyone know if there was a companion volume of chant in English for this?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
quote:
There was an companion Benedictine Matins volume printed by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Wales.
Unofficially announced on said Yahoo group: it appears LA Press has hopes (not plans, not permission, but hopes) to reprint this volume. Does anyone know if there was a companion volume of chant in English for this?
I'd be surprised, as there seems to have been a pattern of saying, rather than singing, Matins in many communities. This is true now in the Monastic Diurnal Revised and in the Saint Helena Breviary, among others. At Saint Meinrad Archabbey there's minimal singing at Vigils, and the psalms in that office are said. At St Gregory's Abbey in Michigan, the psalms are spoken by individuals, each reading out a psalm in turn. The Monastic Diurnal Noted provides music for Christmas Matins and a few others, but I think the assumption was that Matins would be said. I could be wrong.
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

Bummer. Ah well, a publishing opportunity if I ever wanted one.
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

Bump [Angel]
Can`t see my favourite thread sink to the bottom of the page..........
We are all obviously busy praying .......

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

Doubtless it's all those new books that have come out.... [Biased]
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doubtless it's all those new books that have come out.... [Biased]

Glad I'm not the only one for whom this is the favorite thread.

Since there are so many books to choose from, I'm feeling rather attention-deficited (if that's a word) regarding my prayer discipline: I seem not to be able to pray at the same time nor use the same book and lectionary two days in a row. No doubt this will come up in my first spiritual direction session tomorrow (can't wait!), but those of you who feel settled in a Daily Office discipline, what do you use, and how did you settle on it? And how do you keep on track?

Scott, easily distracted and derailed.

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

Scott,
It is surprisingly difficult to stay focused and keep going,even for something that you love and want to do, isn`t it ?
Some days I spend so much time reading about praying the Office that I don`t have time to pray all the Office. [Hot and Hormonal]

My spiritual Father has advised me to stick with a Benedictine Office, at least for the forseeable future, so that does limit me somewhat in which books to use [Biased]

I think I have caught the Breviary Bug (AKA Must have every Breviary available!)
I am even looking at BDW, which is quite remarkable considering I think that anyhing post-Cranmerian in language is dangerously modern.....

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
My spiritual Father has advised me to stick with a Benedictine Office, at least for the forseeable future, so that does limit me somewhat in which books to use [Biased]

It will be interesting to find out whether I receive similar advice from my new spiritual director, who is a former Benedictine monk (St Gregory's Abbey, the Episcopal OSB monastery in Michigan).

quote:
I think I have caught the Breviary Bug (AKA Must have every Breviary available!)
I am even looking at BDW, which is quite remarkable considering I think that anyhing post-Cranmerian in language is dangerously modern.....

BDW? Book of Divine Worship, the book used by RC parishes of the Anglican Use? I thought you were about to mention BDP, Benedictine Daily Prayer.

[ 12. April 2006, 16:16: Message edited by: Scott Knitter ]

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

Goodness, Scott,
well done for noticing my typo ! (I haven`t got my glasses on.... [Hot and Hormonal] )

I did *indeed* mean the BDP !

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know ANYTHING about that. Nope. Not at all. [Biased]

Although I've been very good, I haven't bought a new one since January (but I wants to!)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

But which one do you *want* to buy, Spiffy ?

It might be one of which I am unaware and need to know about [Yipee]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly ones mentioned on this thread. [Big Grin]

I'd give my right arm for a Monastic Diurnial. However, my right arm has already been promised to the local income tax authorities...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scott asked:

quote:
but those of you who feel settled in a Daily Office discipline, what do you use, and how did you settle on it? And how do you keep on track?
The daily office books I have are the ECUSA 2 v. daily office book, and Benedictine Daily Prayer. Without doubt, I use the ECUSA book the most. I read the morning prayer service and the daily lectionary readings on my morning subway commute. Sometimes on the way home, I read the evening prayer service, and before bed, I read Compline. The ECUSA daily office book is easy to use and as I'm Episcopalian, I'm very much at home with it. Actually, the book is a godsend; I really love it--even though it does have typos, sad to say. Using it has kept me on track in terms having a daily prayer life and that had not happened before. I'm very happy about that.

But I like the Benedictine book, too. It is a quality production, for one thing; that pleases me. It is a lot more complicated than my ECUSA book; I think this is why I don't use it as much. However, I did figure out how it works, and felt a glow of accomplishment, but I sort of feel guilty because really, at *most* I read 3 offices a day, and BDP includes many offices I will probably never use. However, I'm off work tomorrow and Friday. Maybe I could try reading the offices then?

So Scott, to answer your question--it's the ECUSA daily office for me. For folks who actually use books like the Anglican Breviary or the Monastic Diurnal, all I can say is [Overused]

Hilda

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamburnite
Shipmate
# 9516

- Posted      Profile for Lamburnite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that we're already in the triduum, I was wondering if those of you who use some variation of the BCP daily office make the breviary changes during these three days. Not having any of my books handy, I suppose a breviarily correct BCP office for the triduum would be something like:

[No opening sentences, versicles, or invitiatory]
Psalms of the day [without gloria patri]
First lesson [without any concluding "the word of the Lord" or "here endeth..."]
Canticle [without Gloria Patri]
ditto for 2nd lesson and canticle
[no versicles or suffrages]
Christus Factus est, as appropriate for the day
Our Father [in silence]
Psalm 51 (i.e. the Miserere)
Collect with silent doxology (...graciously behold this thy family....)

Am I forgetting something? And do many places actually do this?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Lamburnite:
Now that we're already in the triduum, I was wondering if those of you who use some variation of the BCP daily office make the breviary changes during these three days.

[snip]

Am I forgetting something? And do many places actually do this?

Apparently my parish (Ascension, Chicago) does this, as today's officiant described it to me before our Maundy Thursday Mass. My response was, "I'm glad I'm the Monday EP officiant, because if I were the Thursday one, I would have done it completely the BCP way, since these traditional changes aren't documented anywhere." We stick with the BCP on most Daily Office matters; apparently on this one we go traditional. But one just has to know that somehow. [Mad] (Granted, an MC might annually tell the Thursday officiant how to do it...nobody told me because we don't make those changes on Monday of Holy Week.)
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone secretly pleased that the triduum offices are shorter? heh. So is the Easter Vespers.
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Ah, Melbourne. Sigh.

Since you live in Adelaide you may be interested to hear that we've currently got a FSSP priest-in-training for Adelaide here in Melbourne.
quote:
FSSP Melbourne writes:
Welcome also to Rev Mr Michael McCaffrey: Following his ordination to the Diaconate last November (in the US), Mr McCaffrey was assigned to the Canberra apostolate to assist Fr Webb. We are grateful to Mr McCaffrey for his assistance during Bishop Prowse’s visit. As previously advertised, Mr Mcaffrey will be ordained to the Priesthood on Saturday 24th June in the Adelaide Cathedral by Archbishop Wilson.

He will then start offering an indult Tridentine mass there and if all goes well as it has in Melbourne, I assume the LOH will follow shortly.

Interesting.

I'm having a "break" from churchiness at the moment though. But every day I see my office books sitting on the bookshelves, reproachfully.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Is anyone secretly pleased that the triduum offices are shorter? heh. So is the Easter Vespers.

Not so pleased to do the whole of psalm 119 four days in a row. Otherwise, it is a bit of a relief.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Not so pleased to do the whole of psalm 119 four days in a row. Otherwise, it is a bit of a relief.

I didn't believe this until I attempted to pray the offices of the whole day on Good Friday from the Monastic Diurnal (the English-only one ed. Douglas). [Eek!] I think I'll stick to my contemporary offices (today, it's A Prayer Book Office ed. Galley).
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

Yep - I guess it was Sunday psalms for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday....I didn't do so well, although did manage two of three matins.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Those of you who have settled into a consistent, dependable Daily Office discipline, how did you do it? What times do you pray, and how do you stick with those times? Do you have rituals or put on a habit or tallit or prayer shawl? Do you go to a specific place?

Scott the undisciplined, who has prayed in some very unholy places (but knows that's not necessarily a bad thing).

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
Those of you who have settled into a consistent, dependable Daily Office discipline, how did you do it? What times do you pray, and how do you stick with those times? Do you have rituals or put on a habit or tallit or prayer shawl? Do you go to a specific place?

As near to the time as I can, and wherever I happen to be at the time. As to ceremonial, the usual if I'm alone or at home, or none if I'm in public.

I occasionally miss one of the little hours if I'm really busy, but I never 'make up' if it's past the time of the next hour as it's pointless: if the time has passed, the time has passed.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!

Dave

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

quote:
quote:

I didn't believe this until I attempted to pray the offices of the whole day on Good Friday from the Monastic Diurnal (the English-only one ed. Douglas). [Eek!] I think I'll stick to my contemporary offices (today, it's A Prayer Book Office ed. Galley).
Ack! It appears to be Sunday psalms right through the Octave of Easter!
Burbling Psalmist
Shipmate
# 9514

- Posted      Profile for Burbling Psalmist   Email Burbling Psalmist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm lucky enough to work in a Church, so if I'm around at 8.15 and 5.45 I join the Rector for Morning and Evening Prayer.

At home, my wife is atheist and regards the (relatively new) idea of my saying the office with something between wry humour and suspicion. So I tend to retreat to our study, which happens also to contain my favourite chair.

At home, I rarely stand or kneel, although if I read Compline then I often rather enjoy doing the whole of that on my knees.

Timewise, I just think the sensible thing to do is treat it like any other obligation. It's in my Palm Pilot as a recurring appointment and so people know not to schedule meetings or the like over the top.

BP

--------------------
"And the greatness of the great Christian saints lies in their readiness to be questioned, judged, stripped naked and left speechless by what lies at the centre of their faith" - Rowan Williams

Posts: 183 | From: Cambridge | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ack! It appears to be Sunday psalms right through the Octave of Easter!

Certainly is. Every day of the octave is Easter Day!

Dave

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

Oh well, I guess that makes all of Ps. 119 for 11 days in a row...5 down, 6 to go....
Swick
Shipmate
# 8773

- Posted      Profile for Swick   Email Swick       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psalm 119 does seem to appear with annoying frequency...

I pray normally pray both Morning and Evening Prayer, or if I get home late, Compline. I live alone so finding the time to pray the Office is easy.

In my bedroom I've converted a writing desk into a prayer table where I keep the books needed for the Office-Bible, Prayer Book, and a devotional. Also several icons, a candle, an incense burner, and crucifix. I like having a specific place set aside for prayer, but also pray on trains, buses, during walks, etc.

Posts: 197 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

I say most of MP in the shower. If I don't, it just won't get said.

No, I don't take my books in there with me, sillyheads, I've just memorized the beginning bits.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Swick:
In my bedroom I've converted a writing desk into a prayer table where I keep the books needed for the Office-Bible, Prayer Book, and a devotional. Also several icons, a candle, an incense burner, and crucifix. I like having a specific place set aside for prayer, but also pray on trains, buses, during walks, etc.

Thanks...I also enjoy finding out what others' prayer-spaces are like. One of these days, I'll create one.

In appreciation for some editing and writing work I did for her, a friend of mine recently gave me a shtender. That's a Yiddish term for a sort of lectern that is used either to teach or to hold books during prayer and study. Here is a photo of the model of shtender she gave me. The cabinet front door opens to make a lower book stand. A Bible or antiphonary could go on the upper book holder to be used standing.

Now I just have to find the optimum location for my shtender, a proper chair, and some candles and perhaps incense. And not wait until all is ready before praying the office again!

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

Scott, that is a glorious item! I have a case of shtender-envy!

I am really dying for a place to set aside for a home prayer desk of some sort. Right now, I pray the daily office in several locations depending on the hour. I'm a bit of an insomniac, so might rise at 3:00 (no virtue here - just giving up on getting back to sleep) and creep downstairs to our living room for matins, and hopefully avoid waking anyone. I might pray lauds or vespers in my bedroom away from the rest of the family. Then back down to the living room for compline.

Little hours during the week are at my computer desk at work.

Lack of a dedicated space has been a drag for me. I'd love to get a little incense going, etc. but moving the kit all over the place is a bit much.

[spling]

[ 18. April 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: Choirboy ]

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sing Morning Prayer every day while driving to work.

Doesn't everybody?

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Scott, that is a glorious item! I have a case of shtender-envy!

Heh, heh.

Here's the source of the shtender I have. The artist carved Psalm 5:3 on the front in Hebrew. Love it. They do other sorts of shtenders as well; some are really just lecterns for teaching.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've ordered the same Monastic Diurnal as Boadicea Trott, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival [which I imagine will be more than 3 days to get down here! [Big Grin] ]
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

*** bump ***
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
*** bump ***

Thank you for bumping.

It certainly was lovely on Monday evening to be the first Evening Prayer officiant to get to say the alleluias and to lead the Regina caeli instead of the Angelus. Four attended, despite there being no Mass afterward and despite the fact that Monday is the lowest-attendance day for Evening Prayer in our parish. And we had a visitor who showed up almost half an hour before Evening Prayer and attended most eagerly. I hope he had a good experience, and I certainly wish I could have chatted with him afterward (gotta sign the register after the service, and as I did, he left with the others). Hope he comes back. Hope they were nice to him. Always good to have visitors.

I've been terribly undisciplined this Easter Week, but what saves me at the end of the day is the slim CW edition of Celebrating Common Prayer...so straightforward and yet substantial.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

Most of Lent, all of Holy Week and the first week of Easter with Daily Prayer of the Church. Quite happy with it since I don't have to use commons of feasts and commemorations. Will see how when Ordinary Time sets in.
Sub Hoc Signo Vinces
Shipmate
# 11086

- Posted      Profile for Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Email Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Thanks...I also enjoy finding out what others' prayer-spaces are like.

I try to say Morning and/or Evening Prayer every day - one or the other and occasionally both. Whatever happens about MP and EP, I do make sure that I say Compline every day.

In the morning, I would have to get up quite early to pray at home and then get ready for work and be out of the house on time. When I have done this in the past, I have usually felt too sleepy and too much in a hurry to pray properly. So I usually say MP at work. I work in a large law firm and there is almost always an empty meeting room that is not being used by clients and so I just slip into one of those and say MP before starting work. It also has the benefit that I am much more awake by then. Needless to say, incense is not used in this workplace context! Quite apart from safety considerations, the odour of sanctity is not what clients expect to encounter in their lawyers' offices.

At home, for EP, the desk in my study doubles as a prayer table. I have a set-up almost identical to Swick's. The desk has a book-trough containing the 4 vol. LOTH in English, the 4 vol LOTH in Latin, the Weekday Missal and the Sunday Missal. This is all RC material, but I am just an AC who finds the RC stuff suits him very well. One the bookshelves facing my desk, I have a large-ish crucifix on one shelf and then an Orthodox icon of Christ the Great High Priest enthroned in glory on the shelf above. To the lright of that, I have another Orthodox icon of Mary Odigitria. There is a candle and incense burner. I used to have a burner that used charcoal but found this far too messy and hazardous. The business of setting the charcoal alight and keeping it alight was also apt to distract form the main purpose of prayer. So now I have one with a candle where you put the incense onto a piece of tin-foil on a metal mesh and it is heated by a small tea-light candle. This is far easier to set up and handle and much less fiddly and distracting.

I usually say Compline in a simpler setting by the bedside immediately before going to sleep.

I find that this arrangement suits me well and is quite sustainable. The only problem is that, if I haven't said MP at work and get home feeling extremely tired, it can be an effort to pull myself together for EP. [Snore]

SHSV

Posts: 139 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
J.S. Bach
Shipmate
# 9633

- Posted      Profile for J.S. Bach   Email J.S. Bach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen several of you mention the Saint Helena Breviary and know that Church Publishing is releasing the Personal Edition next month. I have a few questions about it (I imagine that the main difference from the Monastic Edition will be lack of musical notation).

1. Does this breviary include a lectionary? If so, is it the standard BCP daily office lectionary (which of course is also used, sometimes with variations, by the Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc.)?
2. What words does it use for the "Gloria Patri" ("Glory to the Father and to the Son . . . "). I know that it doesn't use Father, but does it maintain some kind of relationship between the persons of the Trinity? Formulations such as Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer do not, and I would be distracted by such a rendering.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

J.S. Bach

Posts: 104 | From: Near Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by J.S. Bach:
I've seen several of you mention the Saint Helena Breviary and know that Church Publishing is releasing the Personal Edition next month. I have a few questions about it (I imagine that the main difference from the Monastic Edition will be lack of musical notation).

1. Does this breviary include a lectionary? If so, is it the standard BCP daily office lectionary (which of course is also used, sometimes with variations, by the Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc.)?
2. What words does it use for the "Gloria Patri" ("Glory to the Father and to the Son . . . "). I know that it doesn't use Father, but does it maintain some kind of relationship between the persons of the Trinity? Formulations such as Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer do not, and I would be distracted by such a rendering.

I have the St Helena Breviary: Monastic Edition and use it regularly.

1. Unlike A Monastic Breviary, of which the St Helena is a reworking, the St Helena does not contain a lectionary but has this in its introductory rubrics: "The assignment of lessons at Matins and Vespers is that of the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. For First and Second Class Feasts, where lessons are not assigned in the Prayer Book, they are given in this breviary on the day of the feast. At Diurnum and Compline very short readings are provided...If longer readings are desired, they may be taken from the writings of the Spiritual Fathers and Mothers, the lives of the saints, or some other spiritual book." (p. xvii)

2. "...[T]wo doxologies are used in The Saint Helena Breviary, the Franciscan one at Matins and the Enriching Our Worship one at the other three Offices." (p. xii)

The Franciscan one:

Glory to God, Source of all being, Incarnate Word, and Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

The Enriching Our Worship one:

Glory to the holy and undivided Trinity, one God: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Sub Hoc Signo Vinces
Shipmate
# 11086

- Posted      Profile for Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Email Sub Hoc Signo Vinces   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one prays the Office throughout the octave of Easter with LOTH, one has the sense of a sort of liturgical "groundhog day". This is especially striking at compline, where one follows the order for Sunday on each of the following days of the octave. Today, for the first time in over a week, I will pray compline for Monday. The sense is also there in MP and EP, where the psalms and antiphons throughout the octave are the same as those for MP and EP on Easter Sunday (as Choirboy notes above), although the material from the reading onwards does change.

The joy of Easter is so strong that it spills over into the next fifty days and gives its name to the season. It seems only natural that this phenomenon should make itself felt especially strongly in the week immediately following Easter Sunday itself.

Is there any sense, though, in which it might be said in a more formal sense that it is still Easter Day on every day of the octave? I recollect Dave Goode saying that it was further up this thread. But how far does this go? I cannot fathom whether these repetitions are meant simply to continue resonations of the Easter liturgy or actually in some sense to prolong / re-present it.

More generally, does anyone know when and how these privileged octaves came into being?

SHSV

Posts: 139 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Sub Hoc Signo Vinces:
More generally, does anyone know when and how these privileged octaves came into being?

I'm not sure, but this year I noticed that most of my breviaries are rather unclear as to what is to be prayed during Easter Week. Even the new, wonderful Saint Helena Breviary divides up the Easter Week rubrics just a bit too much; one has to check three or four spots before one can proceed with confidence. Glad we're into Easter 2 now. [Big Grin]
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

This is kind of tangental, and may need its own thread, but let's start here.

Someone asked me the other day about what prayers someone should/could/ought to say, in lieu of the Daily Office (didn't want to get caught up in breviary addiction, I guess). I kinda sputtered a bit and was lost, and then remembered the short, short version of MP/EP in the ECUSA BCP. They wanted something longer.

Thoughts? Ideas? Flying monkeys?

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dominican Rosary is meant to be the 'layman's breviary' but I doubt that's what they're looking for...

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016