homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Daily offices (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Daily offices
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
It's lovely, and I've experimented with praying the Anglican Rosary as it was meant to be prayed, but I still prefer the traditional Dominican Rosary (the one that now has 20 mysteries). Putting the Anglican Rosary beads over my folded hands while praying (is it Buddhists who pray with beads on this way?) helps me focus. [/QB]

I have a one decade string of jade beads (my goodness we're talking jewelry!) with a crucifix that comes with a S Benedict Medal that I like a lot.

Buddhist prayers with rosary are more like Orthodox doing the Jesus Prayer with ropes.

Another way to vary an office is to use a psalter with a different language style. The ICEL psalter uses a language that is very compact and conveys its very concrete metaphors primarily through verbs. Try getting a copy, they are out-of-print and getting rare.

Norman Fischer translated some of the Psalms with a Zen ethos and is quite worth exploring. Don't think there are editorial reviews available for the text so I'll quote an excerpt from Psalm 90

quote:
You have always been a refuge to me
Before the mountains, before the earth, before the world
From endlessness to endlessness
You are

You turn me around
You say
Return child

A thousand years to you are like a yesterday
Like a lonely hour in the middle of the night

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John H
Shipmate
# 9599

- Posted      Profile for John H   Author's homepage   Email John H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
I'm looking at page 12 of the 2002 edition of CCP and it says "Seventh Suday after Trinity - Use week 7".

Last Sunday was the seventh Sunday after Trinity so surely this is week 7. [Confused]

Gosh, so it does. I'm a dimwit, aren't I? [Hot and Hormonal]

OK, but Pentecost 7 it was week 7 in the old 1994 edition. Must admit it seems a little odd to have different calendars at work in two editions of the same book - would make it awkward to flit between them, say the full book and the pocket version.

--------------------
"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart."

Posts: 423 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been googling to try and find large print psalters, and came across the Shorter Christian Prayer, published by the Roman Catholic Church in the US. It appears to be a large type format of the standard volume of the same name - has anyone ever seen it and know what they mean by "Large Type" (a phrase that can mean anything from point 14 to 32)?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean this book?

One of the advantages of amazon.com over amazon.co.uk is that with the former it's often possible to look inside the book, at various sample pages.

Looking inside the book, which is claimed to be 10.8 inches tall, there are about 38 lines per page for the main section. I think that this can be no more than 13 or 14 point. The footnotes are clearly much smaller, and the index pages have about 50 lines per page, making them about 11 point.

It doesn't seem particularly large-print, but I'm only going by what is on the screen at Amazon's US site.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently informed (after having recited the wrong version due to autopilot of the tongue) that the Gloria Patri of the Roman office

quote:
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

is not the same as the Gloria Patri of ... well, elsewhere:
quote:
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
I always though these were just two variant English translations of the same Latin text, but my informant (a person whose liturgical opinions I don't hold in high regard) gave me a mini-lecture, including - I think, though I wasn't really giving my full attention - an intimation that getting it wrong created some sort of anti-indulgence or something. [Roll Eyes]

So I come to my trusted Latin scholars and liturgical purists and ask: are there really two versions of the Gloria Patri?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
So I come to my trusted Latin scholars and liturgical purists and ask: are there really two versions of the Gloria Patri?

Not in the same service! The two you cited were a modern (ICEL, I think) and an older translation. I wouldn't mix them up in one liturgy; that would bring nothing but confusion.

The new Benedictine Daily Prayer for some reason went to the older form (with Spirit for Ghost, however). But it uses that form throughout.

There are several translations floating around, including this one that is used with the Grail Psalter at Saint Meinrad Archabbey:

Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit: as always before, so now and evermore. Amen.

Sounds rather German, and indeed in the abbey's early years they would have said "...wie im Anfang, so auch jetzt und allezeit, und in Ewigkeit. Amen."

Some years ago, they said it this way: Glory to the Father and the Son and THEIR Holy Spirit...

Which probably provoked some theological discussion, I'm sure. And it adds a strand of meaning that the Latin Gloria Patri ain't got.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nope. The Latin translates literally: "As it-was in beginning, and now, and always, and in ages of-ages." Saecula saeculorum mimics a Hebrew superlative, also seen in Rex Regnum (King of Kings) and Dominus Dominorum (Lord of Lords). "world without end" is apparently due to Henry VIII, and is a real crap translation. How about "As it was in the beginning, is now, and always will be, forever and ever." That keeps all Latin parts and the Hebrew-style end, and sounds well.

[ 19. July 2005, 03:10: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I wondered if perhaps the Office, if one had a copy in Latin, had different words for the Gloria Patri (though I wasn't able to imagine quite how this could be if the initial words of both versions were Gloria Patri!)

This places this particular person in the position of having never given me an accurate piece of liturgical information and I now feel free to simply ignore any future 'help'.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Gloria patri that we used to sing in Welsh in college (can't find it now, I'm afraid, I'm sure Carys will be along to correct me at some point) ended with a word pronounced "wastad" which means "flat" or "forever" in place of saecula saeculorum or world without end (I suspect this was a translation of the English, not the Latin). I quite liked this.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:
The Gloria patri that we used to sing in Welsh in college (can't find it now, I'm afraid, I'm sure Carys will be along to correct me at some point) ended with a word pronounced "wastad" which means "flat" or "forever" in place of saecula saeculorum or world without end (I suspect this was a translation of the English, not the Latin). I quite liked this.

Interesting, the version I know (the trad one) has yn oes oesoedd (which is a relatively good translation of in saecula saeculorm although oes) after the yn wastad. Gwastad does indeed also mean 'flat'; it comes from a root which means `stands'.

I can't remember what they've done in the alternative orders. I'll try and remember to look this evening (and remember for tomorrow as I'm currently without computer in my room).

IIRC, the trad Welsh form is:
quote:

Gogoniant i'r Tad ac i'r Mab ac i'r Ysbryd Glân
Megis yr oedd yn y dechrau, y mae'r awr hon,
ac y bydd yn wastad, yn oes oesoedd. Amen.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
ac y bydd yn wastad,

IIRC this was invariably changed by seminarians to wydd yn bastad
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just taken delivery of a 1938 copy of "the Day Hours of the Church".
It is lovely, but the two existing original ribbon markers are rotting , and if you put any stress or pressure on them, bits drop off, which is a little disconcerting [Ultra confused]

Can anyone advise me of a foolproof way of inserting new ribbon markers which will stay put permanently and also not damage the binding ?
Thanks !

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may well have been just that, Carys, and the gwastad just stuck in my mind as I liked the idea of identifying spatial and temporal constancy.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Roman office in the States translates the Gloria Patri differently to the translation used in the UK. On this side of the Pond, it retains its BCPesque phraseology.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found this Recording of the Music and Rituals of the Office used by the Benedictines at New Camaldoli Hermitage. Excellently sung with sensitive accompaniments with guitar, organ, piano and oboe. The New Camaldoli has an in house office books in few volumes in comb-binding. Seen them used at a house of the Order of the Holy Cross. And I've been coveting them since. [Devil]
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
The Roman office in the States translates the Gloria Patri differently to the translation used in the UK. On this side of the Pond, it retains its BCPesque phraseology.

On the left side of the pond, the authorized Roman office uses an equally BCPesque phraseology, as it matches the ECUSA BCP 1979 Gloria Patri.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Found this Recording of the Music and Rituals of the Office used by the Benedictines at New Camaldoli Hermitage. Excellently sung with sensitive accompaniments with guitar, organ, piano and oboe. The New Camaldoli has an in house office books in few volumes in comb-binding. Seen them used at a house of the Order of the Holy Cross. And I've been coveting them since. [Devil]

I have this CD, and it is indeed lovely. And if monasteries only knew how much cash they could generate by offering copies of their in-house office books on eBay and telling us office mavens about the sales! What a bidding war would ensue!
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
I have just taken delivery of a 1938 copy of "the Day Hours of the Church".
It is lovely, but the two existing original ribbon markers are rotting , and if you put any stress or pressure on them, bits drop off, which is a little disconcerting [Ultra confused]

Can anyone advise me of a foolproof way of inserting new ribbon markers which will stay put permanently and also not damage the binding ?
Thanks !

If you open the book up and can see space between the stitching and the binding, it would be really easy. All you have to do is cut a piece of cardboard about a quarter inch shorter than the length of the book, tie ribbons to one end, and slide it into that space.

If you can't see airspace, I've glued bits of ribbon to the back cover and flopped it over.

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Spiffy, many thanks for the ideas.
I wanted to put several ribbon markers in, so I found it was less bulky to sew the ribbons onto the card rather than knot them.
The book now looks great, and so much easier to use with ribbons rather than bits of paper as bookmarks [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else noticed the cheapness of the ribbons in CW:DP? Mine started fraying soon after I got it, and now the yellow one is hardly in one piece. Is this me not looking after it properly, or have other people noticed this phenomenon?

Thurible

--------------------

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

Thurible,
it may be worth painting a very thin layer of clear nail varnish on the ends of the ribbons, as this will stop them fraying to a certain extent.
Unfortunately it will make the ribbon ends quite hard, and may need to be repeated at intervals.

Failing that, making a tiny "hem" of 2 - 3 mm at the edge of each ribbon (preferably with a sewing machine)will also help.
Ultimately it depends on the quality of the ribbon used and how much usage the book gets, I imagine.
I would have thought it common sense for the book`s publisher to realise that anyone buying a Prayer Book/ Breviary is going to be using it an *awful lot* and put high quality markers in... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wonderful suggetsion. Thurible knows he has a friend who can supply the necessaries.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:

I would have thought it common sense for the book`s publisher to realise that anyone buying a Prayer Book/ Breviary is going to be using it an *awful lot* and put high quality markers in... [Roll Eyes]

Thank you for your suggestions. It would indeed be common sense, but that would demand such from Church House. Not going to happen any time soon.

Thurible

--------------------

Cyclotherapist
Apprentice
# 9071

- Posted      Profile for Cyclotherapist   Email Cyclotherapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 60s one could buy spare missal markers in Catholic Repositories. They consisted of 6 ribbons in liturgical colours joined together at one end by a small metal bar embossed with the head of the BVM and I think there was another small medal attached to the foot of each ribbon. These were the right size for keeping the place in in personal missals, not altar missals so they should be the right size for CW/DP

They would be an alternative to gluing in your own ribons if they are still available. I shall investigate next time I'm passing the local Repository.

Hope this helps

--------------------
To recognise the basic difficulty in speaking of God is, in itself, relevant knowledge of God (Busch)

Posts: 17 | From: Leicestershire England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Cyclotherapist:
In the 60s one could buy spare missal markers in Catholic Repositories.

There are many types of ribbons available in RC and other Christian bookshops. Look for thin ones so your ribbons don't stress the binding. I once thought a set of rather wide and thick ribbons would be good...messed up the binding royally.
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They would be an alternative to gluing in your own ribons if they are still available. I shall investigate next time I'm passing the local Repository.

Do let us know the results of your investigations. :-)

--------------------
I only know three words of Latin: deus caritas est.

Posts: 139 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cyclotherapist
Apprentice
# 9071

- Posted      Profile for Cyclotherapist   Email Cyclotherapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark M posted

quote:
Do let us know the results of your investigations. :-)
Happy to help, though it may be a couple of weeks before I'm down that way again.

But I bet they are for sale online from somewhere in the world. Must have a google and see.

Cyclotherapist

--------------------
To recognise the basic difficulty in speaking of God is, in itself, relevant knowledge of God (Busch)

Posts: 17 | From: Leicestershire England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Happy to help, though it may be a couple of weeks before I'm down that way again.

But I bet they are for sale online from somewhere in the world. Must have a google and see.

No fear! We're patient...

--------------------

Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

quote:
I have this CD, and it is indeed lovely. And if monasteries only knew how much cash they could generate by offering copies of their in-house office books on eBay and telling us office mavens about the sales! What a bidding war would ensue!

Scott (or anyone else for that matter),

Do you know where you can get CDs of the office, but just chanted (Anglican style?), no instruments...?

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Mark M:
Scott (or anyone else for that matter),
Do you know where you can get CDs of the office, but just chanted (Anglican style?), no instruments...?

Generally, Anglican chant involves organ, and there are many recordings of cathedral Evensong, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. You would prefer monastic offices, chanted a cappella, right?

Society of St John the Evangelist (Cowley)

Here are several other Office Recordings.

Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

Thanks! Just what I was looking for... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Society of St John the Evangelist (Cowley).

Ah, the wonders of modern technology -- I have those CDs and just loaded them on my iPod. [Big Grin]

[Preview post, preview post, preview post!]

[ 04. August 2005, 21:33: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Canute the Holy
Shipmate
# 9394

- Posted      Profile for Canute the Holy   Email Canute the Holy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Nope. The Latin translates literally: "As it-was in beginning, and now, and always, and in ages of-ages." Saecula saeculorum mimics a Hebrew superlative, also seen in Rex Regnum (King of Kings) and Dominus Dominorum (Lord of Lords). "world without end" is apparently due to Henry VIII, and is a real crap translation. How about "As it was in the beginning, is now, and always will be, forever and ever." That keeps all Latin parts and the Hebrew-style end, and sounds well.
As long as we are comparing languages: in Swedish it ends "såsom det var i begynnelsen, nu är, och skall vara, från evighet till evighet", which translates as "as it was in the beginning, is now, and shall be, from eternity to eternity".
There's also a newer version that ends "i evigheters evighet", "in eternities eternity".
Personally I don't like the new version, sounds odd to me...

Posts: 183 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With German, Swedish, Welsh, two kinds of English, I might as well report what some of the Orthodox are doing:

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages--This from the 1992 Soroka Great Vespers Service book.

Weirdly, the monks at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, who are usually burrowing into some forgotten memory of 17th century English, serve up the surprisingly contemporary Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto ages of ages in their 1997 Great Horologion.

Just as oddly, the Antiochians seem to assume that Everybody knows how it should go, for they indicate only "Glory and Both now" everywhere in their 1997 Liturgikon.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:
Weirdly, the monks at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, who are usually burrowing into some forgotten memory of 17th century English, serve up the surprisingly contemporary Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto ages of ages in their 1997 Great Horologion.

Saint Meinrad Archabbey's office book often trips me up, when I am there, with its Glory to the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit: as always before, so now and evermore. Amen.

Comes straight from the German (in which the community originally prayed, as the founding monks were Swiss):

Ehre sei dem Vater, und dem Sohn, und dem Heiligen Geist: wie im Anfang, so auch jetzt und in Ewigkeit. Amen.

The English one above is designed to fit the Grail strophes.

Novus Ordo
Apprentice
# 10190

- Posted      Profile for Novus Ordo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, I've only just joined Ship of Fools.

I am a lapsed Roman Catholic. I'm afraid I haven't been to Mass or prayed for some time, partly due to depression. However, I am now trying to get back into the habit of daily prayer and hope to return to Mass in the near future.

At the moment, I am using the UK edition of the Divine Office/Liturgy of the Hours for Morning Prayer and Midday Prayer. I own the full three-volume set, which I obtained some years ago. While on holiday recently, I obtained a copy of Benedictine Daily Prayer; A Short Breviary published by Liturgical Press, and also the traditional Monastic Diurnal published by Farnborough Abbey Press. I am using the BDP for Evening Prayer and occasionally for Vigils, and the MD for Compline.

I rather like the BDP as it is based on current monastic practice, although I'm not so keen on the translations used for the gospel canticles, and I wish the psalms were pointed for recitation as they are in the DO/LOH. I do like the fact that translations of ancient office hymns are provided rather than mostly just ordinary hymns as in the DO/LOH. As the BDP is largely based on the offices of St John's Abbey in the USA, I imagine that it's distribution of psalms must be pretty closely based on one of the schemes in the current directory used by Benedictine houses for the structure of their daily prayer.

The MD provides the traditional Benedictine office in both Latin and traditional English. I haven't yet tried to recite any of it in Latin, although I may have a go in the future! I enjoy looking at the websites of both RC and Anglican monasteries, and was was somewhat inspired by the current horarium used by Douai Abbey as given on their website. It looks as though they follow the current pattern in the secular LOH for Morning and Midday Prayer, and the traditional Benedictine pattern for Vespers and Compline.

I also own copies of the RC Anglican Use Book of Divine Worship, the RC LOH in Latin, and the Anglican Breviary, all of which I plan to use in the future. At some point I may also obtain a copy of the definitive edition of Common Worship; Daily Prayer for reference. I think I may still have a copy of Celebrating Common Prayer somewhere, which I tried out a few years ago. I believe it is now available in an updated edition containing the Common Worship psalter.

Of course, I don't always succeed in saying all the offices each day, but I do my best! I find the study of all forms of of Daily Prayer as used by Anglicans, Roman Catholics and other Christians a fascinating subject, as also liturgy in general.

With all best wishes to everyone on Ship of Fools

NOVUS ORDO

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes, welcome and prayers Novus Ordo - it sounds like you've come well-equipped...

Just thought i'd haul this thread up from the bottom of the page to ask something that's been bothering me awhile. The BCP, in it's post-reformation, Mrs. Cranmer form, 1662 And All That, doesn't provide psalmody for months with 31 days - after 147-150 on the evening of the thirtieth day, you fall into a sort of liturgical abyss.

Given that choir obligation persisted for all clergy, what did they do? Repeat the day before? Anticipate the following day? Choose a few favourites? Go down the pub?

A small thing. But it's been bothering me!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Best wishes, welcome and prayers Novus Ordo - it sounds like you've come well-equipped...

Just thought i'd haul this thread up from the bottom of the page to ask something that's been bothering me awhile. The BCP, in it's post-reformation, Mrs. Cranmer form, 1662 And All That, doesn't provide psalmody for months with 31 days - after 147-150 on the evening of the thirtieth day, you fall into a sort of liturgical abyss.

Given that choir obligation persisted for all clergy, what did they do? Repeat the day before? Anticipate the following day? Choose a few favourites? Go down the pub?

A small thing. But it's been bothering me!

Repeat the day before (as presumably they still do in quires and places where they sing the BCP office). Though it's a tempation to go down the pub instead. Even more so on the 15th evening.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of a long day, when I have missed an Office - or even just to end the day - I sometimes tune in to Vatican Radio's broadcast offering. It's the Liturgy of the Hours, and in Latin, but a wonderful way of praying the Hours with a little help.

Go here to join in!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cowley recordings rock. (So to speak.)

BTW, I am going to be starting a dialogue group on the Daily Office over on <a href="http://www.beliefnet.com"> Beliefnet </a> this Sunday. It's going to be a support/discussion group for persons wanting to begin praying the Daily Office, or for people who need a little peer support in being faithful to their practice. Last year I started a similar group, thinking I'd have to work to get the minimum 12 participants...I wound up with about 40. It was great. A wonderful group...new friends who remain friends. I am looking forward to a new "class."

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Waves the Hostly Mobcap

LutheranChik, please feel free to put the beliefnet link into proper UBB code and include it in your sig line.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! Sorry! I forget about the format here: Beliefnet

Go to "Community," then "Dialogue Groups," and go from there.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Novus Ordo
Apprentice
# 10190

- Posted      Profile for Novus Ordo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always been intrigued by Howard Galley's work "The Prayer Book Office", which is now out of print. I understand that this is basically an enhanced version of the daily prayer from the ECUSA BCP of 1979, with additional material such as office hymns, psalm antiphons etc. A copy came up for auction on eBay a couple of months ago.

Can anyone who uses or has used this book comment on its usefulness? It did occur to me that it could possibly be used to enhance other liturgies, such as the daily offices from the RC Anglican Use Book of Divine Worship. Also, I wonder if there might be any chance of a reprint?

moveable_type
Shipmate
# 9673

- Posted      Profile for moveable_type   Email moveable_type   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m impressed by the people here who have the self-discipline for a daily prayer routine.

I’d be interested in people’s responses to the following: you normally have ten minutes to spare, give or take, on a weekday in a cathedral which is normally open during the day. The side altar has a reserved sacrament (r/h side) and an icon of the Virgin and Child (l/h side). How would you use these as tools?

Posts: 1062 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Novus Ordo:
I have always been intrigued by Howard Galley's work "The Prayer Book Office", which is now out of print. I understand that this is basically an enhanced version of the daily prayer from the ECUSA BCP of 1979, with additional material such as office hymns, psalm antiphons etc. A copy came up for auction on eBay a couple of months ago.

Can anyone who uses or has used this book comment on its usefulness? It did occur to me that it could possibly be used to enhance other liturgies, such as the daily offices from the RC Anglican Use Book of Divine Worship. Also, I wonder if there might be any chance of a reprint?

I love Galley's The Prayer Book Office and use it regularly. I recently jumped on a Buy It Now deal on eBay for a second copy, so now my partner and I can pray together from it. He perused the second copy and responded, "Why don't you tell me about great stuff like this?"

Galley's book has all the material from the BCP for Rite II Daily Office, including MP, Noonday, EP, and Compline. Seasonal and ordinary antiphons are provided for each psalm in the psalter itself, and proper antiphons for the lectionary-appointed psalms for holy days and the common of saints in the Proper of the Church Year section. There's an Office of the Blessed Sacrament and an Office of the Dead, Great Paschal Vespers, a section of nonscriptural (patristic) readings for holy days, and in the second edition, a Lesser Feasts and Fasts section with collects and some antiphons for the Benedictus and Magnificat.

Please join me in writing regularly to Church Publishing to request that they reprint the book, preferably in hardcover rather than leather, for affordability and more widespread use. Another book I wanted reprinted--Oxford University Press' hand-size "little brick" BCP/NRSV genuine leather combo, is indeed going to be reprinted (or so a trusted bookstore manager informs me), and I had been writing to OUP regularly to request it. Not sure whether my e-mails were key, but they perhaps added to the numbers of people asking for this. The OUP BCP/NRSV is supposed to be reprinted next spring, I believe.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Novus Ordo:
[qb] I have always been intrigued by Howard Galley's work "The Prayer Book Office", which is now out of print. I understand that this is basically an enhanced version of the daily prayer from the ECUSA BCP of 1979, with additional material such as office hymns, psalm antiphons etc. A copy came up for auction on eBay a couple of months ago.

I've been using Galley's Book but the LP's Benedictine Daily Prayer is useful in having all the needed texts in one book, especially useful when I read my office commuting. Using BDP gives a sense of a longer tradition and larger use and I'm inclined towards that book. But if I know there are enough people doing the PBO, I might go back to that book and connecting mystically with these other strangers.
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

I think a good way to form a discipline in reading the office is to get connected to a monastic house as an oblate or associate. How can I get that being half a world away from the nearest Benedictine order; or should I choose between an episcopalian or catholic order?
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted here about the St Colman Prayer Book.

A list of the contents has been made available, and it should be printed soon.

• Foreword.
  • Editorial policy
  • About the Collects and Notes on ceremonial
  • Fasting
  • The Sacrament of Shriving.
  • The Preparation of the Sacrifice.
  • The Office of Terce.
  • The Great Litany.
  • The Sarum Liturgy.
  • The Office of Sext.
  • The Office of Matins.
  • The English Liturgy.
  • The Office of Evensong.
  • The Office of Prime
  • The Liturgy of Saint Gregory.
  • The Midday Office and the Angelus
  • The Office of Compline.
  • The Order of Churching of Women.
  • The Sacrament of Baptism & Chrismation.
  • The Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
  • The Order of Burial of the Dead.
  • The Liturgical Reception of a Bishop.
  • The Sacrament of Holy Unction.
  • The Form of Blessing of Water.
  • The Form of Dedication of Objects.
  • The of Preparation of a Place of Worship not a church.
  • The Order for the Blessing of a House.
  • Grace Before Meals and other Prayers
  • The Rite of Palm Sunday
  • The Rite of Ash Wednesday.
  • The Rite of Maundy Thursday
  • The Rite of Good Friday
  • The Rite of Holy Saturday Midnight
  • The Office of Lauds
  • The Office of None
  • Using the Offices
  • Celtic, English and European Saints

There's a lot more in there than I initially expected, which explains the delay in prdoction. Also, there is only one person doing the compilation and typesetting and everything has required episcopal approval for inclusion.

I'm looking forward to its arrival.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
I think a good way to form a discipline in reading the office is to get connected to a monastic house as an oblate or associate. How can I get that being half a world away from the nearest Benedictine order; or should I choose between an episcopalian or catholic order?

If you are interested in a particular community with an oblate program (perhaps from visits to its Web site or having heard about it from someone else), contact its oblate director to find out whether you can become an oblate despite not having much opportunity to visit the monastery in person. Some communities provide for novice oblates to be instituted and final oblations to be done locally by one's parish priest using prescribed liturgical forms and documents. My community is Saint Meinrad Archabbey in Indiana USA, and I believe this is possible with our oblate program. Here's the page on oblates.
Spong

Ship's coffee grinder
# 1518

- Posted      Profile for Spong     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sheela-na-gig
I’m impressed by the people here who have the self-discipline for a daily prayer routine.

I’d be interested in people’s responses to the following: you normally have ten minutes to spare, give or take, on a weekday in a cathedral which is normally open during the day. The side altar has a reserved sacrament (r/h side) and an icon of the Virgin and Child (l/h side). How would you use these as tools?

If this was a one off, I'd probably use the time for a nativity-based rosary. My rosary is faster, because I use the Jesus prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner) instead of the 'Hail Mary', and my nativity mysteries aren't exactly the same as the standard ones either, so ten minutes would just about do it.

On a regular basis I'd use it for a short office; I used one I made up for myself based on the prayer of St Columba until I recently switched back to CCP. In both cases, concentration on the icon would be how I would prepare myself for prayer, and awareness of the reserved sacrament makes the place even more of one where I can meet with God.

I should say that I was useless at keeping to a daily office until I started commuting again a year ago; now I read the office (silently to myself...) on the way in to work. I need a time when I am going to be reminded by my routine that I need to pray, unfortunately. For that reason, I still give God a day off from listening to me on Saturdays, which is biblical after all [Smile]

Spong

--------------------
Spong

The needs of our neighbours are the needs of the whole human family. Let's respond just as we do when our immediate family is in need or trouble. Rowan Williams

Posts: 2173 | From: South-East UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016