homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: An introduction (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: An introduction
Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Alan,

(1) talks about what (form)

but

(2) talks about what + why (form + purpose/meaning)

I can dig that. The form of the world is interesting to me, but I have a burning desire to know what is the meaning and purpose of life. God seems to provide a much greater explanation of meaning. That being said, it seems awfully presumtuous to say that atheists don't have any purpose to life. Perhaps the meaning is in sustaining life itself because it is "neat". Howevever, the SA said that the whole meaning question was unimportant to him anyway. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Freehand

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi SA!

I've posted some objections to the validity of the materialist viewpoint on the reason thread. I would be very interested in your take on this.

I came into these debates not to champion theism (which I don't feel qualified to do), but to explore alternate philosophical viewpoints.

I started out with a vague acceptance that there were a number of different viewpoints, some of which could be shown to have validity. I assumed that materialism would be one of these. To my great surprise, the more I examine it, the more flawed it appears!

I guess that this could have something to do with the dictum that "the more dominant a belief is in society, the less challenged, and therefore the more suspect that belief is"?

Incidentally, would the Tooth Fairy be interested in granting a franchise in South Croydon?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I alone in finding it odd that SA requires a full explanation, but no meaning? It seems to me that the discarding of meaning is required to be able to justify his viewpoint.

So why is any explanation necessary - is this solely to keep him from descent into sollipsism?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are not alone.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The sceptical Atheist:
I say that a quantum fluctuation caused the universe

A quantum fluctuation in WHAT?

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mousethief:
A quantum fluctuation in WHAT?
QUOTE]

I am awed by your succinct question. I would have required a couple of paragraphs....

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

ROTFLMAO!

--------------------

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

- Posted      Profile for The sceptical Atheist   Email The sceptical Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not require an explanation unless forced to give in to people arguing the other position.

I am content to say "I don't know."

But why does 'meaning' have anything to do with this debate?

Why does everything require a 'meaning'?

Now then, the quantum fluctuation in what? question.

In the not-even-nothingness that was before the Big Bang. Or the other universe that is eternal, or the pink unicorns collarbone. We cannot know at the moment and we may never be able to know, but the fact that teh total energy on the universe appears to be zero requires an explanation. A good one is that the universe was caused by a quantum fluctuation. That explains the evidence very well.

Any other alternative?

--------------------
"Faith in God and seventy-five cents will get you a cup of coffee."
[Wayne Aiken]

Posts: 293 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But why does 'meaning' have anything to do with this debate? Why does everything require a 'meaning'?

If given a choice between meaning and no meaning I would choose meaning.

But if there is no meaning, why ask why?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind that you believe in quantum fluctuations in something that existed before anything existed. Just don't say that YOU have facts and WE have faith. You have shown that you make just as large a leap-of-faith as we. We just don't couch ours in pseudo-scientific jargon.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SA:
quote:
Now then, the quantum fluctuation in what? question.

In the not-even-nothingness that was before the Big Bang. Or the other universe that is eternal, or the pink unicorns collarbone.

Everyone knows that unicorns are mauve.

SA:

quote:
We cannot know at the moment and we may never be able to know, but the fact that teh total energy on the universe appears to be zero requires an explanation. A good one is that the universe was caused by a quantum fluctuation. That explains the evidence very well.

Hmmm, you'll pardon me if I'm skeptical, but....fact? What total energy? How was it measured? What assurance do we have that our attempts to measure something so large is in any way accurate for such a quantification? Is the dark energy that cosmologists presently are disagreeing about included in this tally?

Quantum fluctuations as described by present theory, arise from the well-defined, if not well-understood framework of our own space-time. To postulate that the "not-even-nothingness that was before the Big Bang" fill this bill seems contradictory and appealing to an infinite superspace has only changed the subject of the question, not answered the question.

"I don't *know* seems to be as much as anyone can say on the subject.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

- Posted      Profile for The sceptical Atheist   Email The sceptical Atheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I admit I took this a bit too far.

All I was trying to do was show that there is a reasonable materialistic alternative, not saying that this is exactly how it happened.

As this is reasonable, it does not require faith to accept it as a possibility. It is supported by some evidence, but not much.

What is important about my idea is that it is falsifiable. New measurements could destroy it straight away.

The non-materialistic beginning requires the existence of this creator before anything exists. We are now many billions of years further on and we still have zero OF evidence for this creators existence (and no self respecting unicorn would be seen in mauve!). So, in order to take the non-materialistic view, one must first show that the creator exists or did exist.

Showing he exists now would be an excellent start. If something exists now, we can speculate that it existed before and try and find evidence for that.

--------------------
[Wayne Aiken]

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
All I was trying to do was show that there is a reasonable materialistic alternative, not saying that this is exactly how it happened.

You are right that there is a reasonable materialistic alternative for the origin of the universe.

My only problem with this alternative is that it does not satisfy my desire for meaning and purpose, which may or may not be important to everyone.

It is certainly reasonable to choose the materialistic alternative. Nor is it unreasonable, coming from that perspective, to look for materialistic evidence for God's existence.

What is unreasonable is when someone fails to acknowledge that a reasonable choice between alternatives is possible, each with its own strengths and drawbacks - and that belief in God is therefore not an irrational choice.

The evidence for God is by definition not material or measurable, since He is assumed to be a spiritual being. Observable phenomena might be taken as evidence, such as near-death experiences, the remarkable self-similarity and order of the universe, or the exquisite feelings connected with romantic love. But all of these have alternative materialistic explanations.

What I am looking for in this discussion is not to convince anyone of the certainty of God's existence. I am hoping that we can dispel the idea that, since it is difficult to point to evidence of His existence, it is unreasonable to believe in Him. I am hoping that we can all acknowledge that belief in God is a logical choice between reasonable alternatives, and not simply a leap of faith.

--------------------

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

Thanks, Freddy, for your great reply (at least the bits that agree with mine ).

quote:

My only problem with this alternative is that it does not satisfy my desire for meaning and purpose, which may or may not be important to everyone.

I am curious about how satisfying a desire should have any bearing on whether there is a meaning and reason to the universe.

Either there is a meaning or there isn't. If there is, we should be able to determine it (because an unfathomable reason is so close to no reason to make them indistinguishable).

quote:

I am hoping that we can all acknowledge that belief in God is a logical choice between reasonable alternatives, and not simply a leap of faith.

Hmm. That may take some doing. I will listen at least.

--------------------
[Wayne Aiken]

larryboy
Shipmate
# 625

- Posted      Profile for larryboy   Email larryboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a scientifically minded person, and my belief in God and subsequent Christian faith is a logical choice amongst the alternatives that I see.

I see the creation of the universe as being impossible, according to scientific laws, without control.

Let me summarise:

Thermodnamics
1st Law - Energy is never created or destroyed
2nd Law - All physical systems when left to their own devices will move in a direction from Order to Chaos
3rd Law - Order is max. at -273C, adding raw (uncontrolled...) energy only increases disorder.

Also
The Principle of Conservation of Angular Momentum.

This tells us that that motion in a straight line from an explosion could never give way to spinning motion, as seen in planets, solar systems, galaxies etc.

Or try:
Cause and Effect. (Every cause must have a superior effect)

and

Law of Biogenesis - Life only comes from life.

I'm not going to go into Evolution v's Creationist because this is neither the time or the place. I am just showing you the evidence that I can see for a belief in God to be SCIENTIFICALLY superior to a belief in no God.

You can't have OF evidence for God, but you can have it for scientific beliefs. When these beliefs can only be held to be true in relation to a higher being, I see this to be good evidence.

LB

--------------------
If I were a Butterfly, I'd thank you Lord for giving me wings

Posts: 72 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

SA:
quote:
As this is reasonable, it does not require faith to accept it as a possibility. It is supported by some evidence, but not much.

To consider something as a possibility may not take faith per se, but to postulate that the universe came out of nothing and without cause, and to argue that is a reasonable, explanation, smacks of faith.

SA:

quote:
What is important about my idea is that it is falsifiable. New measurements could destroy it straight away.

Again, pardon my scepticism, but if there is no empirical way to observe or measure "whatever-was-before," it will remain an unprovable hypothesis and therefore unverifiable.

Cosmologists tell us that physical laws, constants, space and time have no validity or meaning before the Big Bang. How then can measurements taken within our space-time framework be seriously considered as empirical evidence for "whatever-was-before?"

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Oops, that should have read:

"remain an unprovable hypothesis and therefore unfalsifiable."

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Either there is a meaning or there isn't. If there is, we should be able to determine it (because an unfathomable reason is so close to no reason to make them indistinguishable).

Great point. And maybe that is really the problem.

I'm tempted to start a thread on the meaning of life.

--------------------

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

Willy,

My particular hypothesis can be falsified. If there is a new measurement that shows the energy isn't in balance (this is Paul Davies's idea, which I am borrowing) then my hypothesis gets blown out of the water.

Describing it as a theory is my mistake, it isn't one. It is a hypothesis. There is reason for accepting it as a hypothesis.

I see the alternative to a natural beginning a supernatural one. There is no evidence for the supernatural, so a natural explanation is more reasonable.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with this. I am not saying that I am right or that anyone else is wrong, just that, if there is no evidence for anything but "ordinary" things, then it is reasonable to say that it was started by some "ordinary" thing. If there is no evidence for anything "extraordinary" then to invoke it as an explanation when one does not know the answer is a cop-out.

I don't know what is around other stars in this galaxy. I suspect there are planets around some. This is a reasonable position to take. It is not a position of faith, even though we do not know the answer. I suppose we could say that there are Gods circling them just as easily.

This is what you are claiming about before the universe, we cannot know, but we have no evidence that anything supernatural exists, but because we don't know the answer, it is unreasonable to invoke natural processes an explanation, and so it could just as well be somrthing supernatural.

Be serious, this is just silly

--------------------
[Wayne Aiken]

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

No, I don't see it as silly. Isn't some hypothetical superspace just as "supernatural" from our point of view?

I think the pivot is causation. You are willing to throw that away to avoid the supernatural. I am willing to consider the possibility of the supernatural to avoid throwing out causation.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

The sceptical Atheist
Shipmate
# 379

Right, so you accept that the supernatural existing before there was space and time is possible.

What caused the supernatural?

By supposing the supernatural the causation question is still not answered.

--------------------
[Wayne Aiken]

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Of course not. But your virtual particle hypothesis depends on a pre-existing superspace complete with quantum mechanical processes already operant. What caused that? So I come back to my point that both viewpoints come up against the same difficulties and so are equally irrational.

To return to your falsifiability argument: Check my work here. You are saying that because the total energy hypothesis is theoretically falsifiable that makes it valid?

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My hypothesis is theoretically falsifiable also. If the universe reaches heat death before Christ comes back, then I was wrong. Of course I can't wait that long, but that's not the point when it comes to falsifiability, is it?

Reader Alexis

--------------------

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

Or is it? Everything I read says that for a hypothesis to be falsifiable, it must be testable.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By supposing the supernatural the causation question is still not answered.

but by being supernatural, does the natural order of cause and effect still hold?

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
but by being supernatural, does the natural order of cause and effect still hold?

Alan

If that is so, then there is no contradiction in an Uncaused Event, and no objectionto be raised to the hypothesis of an uncaused beginning to the Universe.

Which makes asking the question, "Why is there anything?" a meaningless exercise.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016