homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Terrorism in US (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Terrorism in US
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe it. I'm looking at a split screen on the TV -- smoke pouring out of both towers of the World Trade Center, smoke rising over the Pentagon.

Bush has already said "Terrorism will not stand." But I don't see how it can be stopped.

Seems like a good part of the country will be shut down today -- the FAA isn't letting any planes take off right now. Major governmental buildings and landmarks like the Sears tower in Chicago are being evacuated.

[ 16. October 2006, 00:48: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fucking savages. May they all rot in hell.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GabyLeDorque
Shipmate
# 939

- Posted      Profile for GabyLeDorque   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean there's yet another one plane crash near the Pentagon on top of the two previous ones on the twin towers?
Posts: 63 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Unfuckingbelievable.

Time to roll out the big guns and hunt these subhuman cowards down.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

- Posted      Profile for Old Fashioned Crab     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there is another unaccounted for plane.

I don't even want to think about the backlash to all this.

Lets get praying.

--------------------
O dear white children casual as birds,
Playing among the ruined languages,
So small beside their large confusing words,
So gay against the greater silences
Of dreadful things you did

Posts: 397 | From: Croydon UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
syncopaque
Shipmate
# 610

- Posted      Profile for syncopaque     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
why??

is it for something our government did that many of us didn't agree with anyway?

there are innocents in this country, just like there are innocent Palestinians under Israeli oppression. there are people here that are just scraping to get by in this society. some of them have been brutally murdered today for "the bigger picture," something many of us don't fully understand anyway.

may injustice bow to Jesus.

--------------------
the atmosphere was far too low...

Posts: 178 | From: chicagoland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hoping that all the nyc shipmates can check in to say they're ok. i am, i work in the bronx not manhatten. my husband is in manhatten but nowhere near the trade center, may have trouble getting home tonight.

i'm scared as hell.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Shit. The World Trade Center is collapsing.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

And it's gone. The Southern Building is gone.

Three hijacked planes. Planes being grounded all over the United States. Armed Forces mobilizing all over the world.

May the United States of America hunt you down and dispose of you in the manner you so deserve.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
god help us.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

- Posted      Profile for fee   Email fee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is hell... and probably the wrong place for this, but prayer is mucho needed. Even just watching on TV i'm in shock! One question... why are people still walking around so close?! I know shock does silly things... but wouldn't you move?!

Love and Hgus
Fee
xxx

Posts: 256 | From: Northampton | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On our knees, everybody.

Kyrie Eleison.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

new york public libraries will not be opening today. i'm on my way home now. will check in from there probably.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been watching the coverage. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you over in NYC.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Ninety passengers and crew on the first hijacked plane.

Sixty passengers and crew on the second.

A car bomb has now exploded outside the State Department in DC.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
car bomb exploded outside the state department

this is unbelievable -- does anyone really think this is going to solve whatever their problem is?

RuthW

# 13

and the other tower's down

thousands have gotta be dead

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God have mercy on us. This is clearly an act of war and not mere terrorism. There is going to be hell to pay for this.

I am sure that the perpetrators think they have done a wonderful and brave thing. Their father below will richly reward them.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't believe it. My prayers are with you guys over there. I'm speechless.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

- Posted      Profile for fee   Email fee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allegedly one planes on its way to Washington...???
Lord we ask for your mercy.
Fee

syncopaque
Shipmate
# 610

- Posted      Profile for syncopaque     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and there goes number two..

--------------------
the atmosphere was far too low...

Posts: 178 | From: chicagoland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please do not post anything on this board or any other board that could be construed in any way as a threat against anybody.

Please.

tomb
hellhost

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I weep at work I was vaguely writing something for a parish magazine what can i write now.

Terrorism strikes I pray that you in America do not have to adopt the paranoia of us looking at every bag unattended.

Oh my god there has been another one as I write there ahve been threats against the London Stoke exchange

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
andy d
Shipmate
# 452

- Posted      Profile for andy d   Email andy d   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesanyone know if the planes has passenger on board. One news source claimed that they were empty.

Andy

--------------------
Let's just drive, until it gets us somewhere, even if it takes all night.
- All Star United

Posts: 159 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

first plane is reported to have between 50 and a 100 passengers!
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One had 90 crew/passengers

The other had 60

Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't believe seeing the second tower go down... and they're saying on the BBC coverage that 50,000 people work in the two towers. Also that a 4th plane has crashed in Pittsburgh... The scenes in NYC look apocalyptic. This is truly a terrifying moment.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

The world has been changed.
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard 16 fighters have scrambled to meet another hijacked plane heading for Washington.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the planes which was hijacked and crashed was American Airlines Flight 11, which was flying from Boston to Los Angeles.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

It crashed into Camp David.

Threat Level Delta. War, anyone?

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see the smoke rising from the Pentagon from where I am at the moment. Sonic booms from US Air Force jets scrambled from Andrews AFB were heard here an hour or so ago.

Understandably there's a quite a panic here at the moment.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God for e-mail. The phone lines to Washington are all tied-up, but e-mail still works as usual.

My daughter in Washington is fine, and she plans to walk to church and then walk home. She's lucky she lives close enough.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

The plane in Pittsburgh was shot down by the military, who had confirmed that hijackers were in control and headed to DC.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

Reports of State Department bomb being reported as incorrect
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reporting from NYC, watching the smoke obscure what used to be the WTC. I'm right behind Grand Central and hoping it's not a target. Don't know how we'll all deal with this. Surely some friends and acquaintances involved. Please pray.

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister works for ADT Security, which was responsible for security in the World Trade Center and had a special security detail in the Pentagon. She's on her way in now--if I hear more, I'll let you know.

They wanted terror. They got it. The flight that crashed in PA originated in Chicago. None of us is safe.

Pray, pray, pray for all those lost in the planes and the buildings.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dizzy
Apprentice
# 1294

- Posted      Profile for dizzy   Email dizzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't believe it. I'm praying for everyone involved. Lots of love to everyone out there.

--------------------
I know what I mean, even if no-one else does

Posts: 44 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Apparently this is the anniversary of the Camp David accords. This date seems to have been very carefully chosen.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Mike
Shipmate
# 1198

- Posted      Profile for Mike   Author's homepage   Email Mike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
those of you who have access to news, please keep us informed - internet news congested to hell, and no radio in the office. what's going on?

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 57 | From: Exeter, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am utterly ashamed to be part of the same species as those who carried out these acts.

Know my prayers are with you all, and all Americans.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
andy d
Shipmate
# 452

- Posted      Profile for andy d   Email andy d   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Apparently this is the anniversary of the Camp David accords. This date seems to have been very carefully chosen.

Moo

What are the camp David accords?

Andy

--------------------
Let's just drive, until it gets us somewhere, even if it takes all night.
- All Star United

Posts: 159 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is horrifying!! I don't have access to a tv at work and can't seem to access any news websites - everything is crashing!! What is going on? Do they know who is responsible? I'm scared - this feels ominously like the end of the world. I know its not - but it just feels that this is what could happen.
And agreed, we need to pray urgently...

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The key is not to panic.

The University is closed, and I am departing to drink gin.

Pax,

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Camp David accords - various peace initiatives between Israel and her neighbours. Main one was in late 70s which secured peace with Egypt. Later rounds of Israel/Palestine talks also took place here.

Oh dear God, what will become of us.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

As far as I know nobody has claimed responsibility, but many people suspect a middle east link.

Hannan Ashrawi and Yasser Arafat have both condemned these attacks in unambiguous terms.

fee
Shipmate
# 1047

I totally agree.. it feels as if the bottom has fallen out of the world... perhaps causer i'd never really thought about something happening on this scale in the (supposedly) civilised western world.
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andy - Camp David Accords - as far as I remember, these were agreements between Israel and Palestine a year or two ago

News here is patchy unless one can get to a TV (which I can't in the office!) Most major web news sites are totally overloaded, while the minor ones aren't terribly up-to-date.

It sounds absolutly terrifying - may God be close to all our American shipmates today and keep them from harm.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a monstrous outrage. I am horrified and moved to tears for the people.

I tried to get info from the US news sites but they were clogged the Aust. B.C. has news coverage with a latest news tickertape if this is helpful to anyone. http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update for those without news access:

American Airlines just confirmed that they lost two of their planes in this attack, with a total loss of life at 156 in the planes. Flight 11 from Boston to LA, and Flight 77 (no other info).

United Airlines lost two hijacked planes. The flight from Newark to San Francisco may be the one that crashed near Pittsburgh. Flight 175, from Boston to LAX, is "unaccounted." This is probably the one that hit the Pentagon, but no confirmation on that yet.

The current talking head speculation is that this was organized by Osama ben Ladin (sp?) or the Taliban. No confirmation, of course. They're comparing it to the attack of Pearl Harbor.

All airports in Canada and the US are closed as of this point. All Federal buildings and many office buildings in Washington have been evacuated; Federal buildings in NYC are closed.

There have been no further attacks. The news is just trying to fill in details and analysis (always dubious) is being spouted.

I'm having a hard time visualizing just how many people were in the World Trade Center and Pentagon died. It's so horrifying that I'm just having a hard time grasping it.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016