homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Terrorism in US (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Terrorism in US
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it's not true. They've said what they've said all along: "give us proof and we'll consider it".

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveWal
Shipmate
# 307

- Posted      Profile for SteveWal   Email SteveWal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thought I'd post a poem I found on a poetry site, as response to all those gunning for revenge.

The People Of The Other Village

hate the people of this village
and would nail our hats
to our heads for refusing in their presence to remove them
or staple our hands to our foreheads
for refusing to salute them
if we did not hurt them first: mail them packages of rats,
mix their flour at night with broken glass.
We do this, they do that.
They peel the larynx from one of our brothers’ throats.
We devein one of their sisters.
The quicksand pits they built were good.
Our amputation teams were better.
We trained some birds to steal their wheat.
They sent to us exploding ambassadors of peace.
They do this, we do that.
We canceled our sheep imports.
They no longer bought our blankets.
We mocked their greatest poet
and when that had no effect
we parodied the way they dance
which did cause pain, so they, in turn, said our God
was leprous, hairless.
We do this, they do that.
Ten thousand (10,000) years, ten thousand
(10,000) brutal, beautiful years.

Thomas Lux

(10,000 years is the rough number of years humans have engaged in civilizations)

Not that I blame anyone who is gunning for revenge. My first reaction was fury.

--------------------
If they give you lined paper to write on, write across the lines. (Russian anarchist saying)

Posts: 208 | From: Manchester | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marmite
Shipmate
# 528

- Posted      Profile for Marmite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My heartfelt prayers are for everyone who has been touched by the devastation in America. What chills me to the bone is that such destruction, maiming and tragic loss of life was planned for; desired. It is sobering to have to face how low we can sink. God save us.

I thank and praise God for this web site and all the shipmates. Throughout the postings of pain, anger, lamentation, grief, shock, bewilderment, love and compassion, there has been a shining thread of trust in God that stirs an echo in me and gives me hope. Thank you and bless you all for that.

I am sure today that Christians everywhere will be called to account for their faith.

Dear Lord, help us to reflect your love and grace in this time of turmoil. Amen.

Posts: 51 | From: lightly toasted granary bread | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
andy d
Shipmate
# 452

- Posted      Profile for andy d   Email andy d   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know what happened to the fifth (missing) plane?

And has Brother Chris surfaced yet?

Andy

--------------------
Let's just drive, until it gets us somewhere, even if it takes all night.
- All Star United

Posts: 159 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Br Chris managed to get an email to the Coot, which has been put onto the NYC people check in thread in All Saints.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG
Shipmate
# 8

- Posted      Profile for Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Email Br. Christopher Stephen Jenks, BSG   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear companions,

I just want to let you know that everybody at Fessenden House is safe and accounted for. Yesterday was horrible. Yonkers is about ten miles from lower Manhattan, but we could see the smoke and ash plume from our front porch and we heard the thunderous noise as each tower collapsed a few seconds after seeing it on TV. One of our residents, Charlie, was frantic because his girlfriend, Mitzi, was at school in lower Manhattan, just two blocks from the WTC, when this all started happening, and he couldn't get in touch with her, nor she with him. She made it home finally at about 8:00 last night, tired, filthy and scared. She had been in City Hall Park already walking home when the first tower fell and got caught in the leading edge of the debris, etc. As far as we can tell from the TV pictures her school, Pace University, was caught in the shower of flames and debris as the north tower collapsed.

We had a Eucharist here at the house last night. Bishop Roskam was our celebrant. This was intended to be a festive celebration in honor of the patrons of our chapel, Constance and her Companions, but it turned out to be something very different. Halfway through the Eucharist the bishop had to excuse herself as she ran to the bathroom vomiting. The stress and horror of the day just suddenly became too much for her.

I haven't been able to take in what everybody has been writing. I'm still pretty numb and feel like a zombie. I guess I'm still in shock.

Much love to all,
Chris

Posts: 151 | From: Yonkers, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so glad all our shipmates are accounted for.

I can guess what everyone world over is feeling as I sit here tonight. It's 10:00pm, and I am alone, my sister being out.

I feel scared, invaded, like you never know what might happen, like terrorists could storm my street, or anything down to an arson or burglary attack on my house...

Now this is the normal state of the world. It is significant that it takes a tragedy of such magnitude to bring us to our senses.

There must be a large number of people out there, not only bereaved, but soooo uncertain of what the future holds. I feel, as I'm sure we all do, for everyone in the US tonight/today... Certainly those who have cited sleeplessness are not the only ones who will suffer with it.

From all perils and dangers of this night/day, Good Lord, deliver us.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and Bro Chris, I'll be praying for you all...
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think "business as usual" is appropriate unless the business is frivolous or the people and resources involved are needed to help in the crisis.

It is tempting to spend all your time listening to news broadcasts and talking to people about what happened. I can work myself up into quite a state that way. Obviously this is not constructive, and I think that in a crisis people should make a special effort to behave constructively.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Riley

BANNED
# 991

- Posted      Profile for Riley         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Osama bin Laden is not the only person who has the resources available to do this. The Medellin cartel also has the resources to do something like this

What resources do you need? Four guys to fly a plane? There are no resources necessary. This could have been anyone.

Everyone is saying there will be war. There won't. The US cannot wage war on a person, or a group. A war can only be waged on a state. There will most likely be strong retaliation against Afghanistan and Pakistan, but the real enemy is an ide, an Ideal. It's in the minds and the hearts and souls of the terrorists - enough that they killed themselves for it. No matter how hard the US strikes, and no matter who they strike, it will never be able to crush this idea, and they will never win.

[edited UBB code]

[ 12 September 2001: Message edited by: tomb ]

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the US CAN wage war on a person or group. Oliver North pointed out on TV last night that the 3rd president of the US, with an act of the 5th congress, declared war on the Barbary pirates, a terrorist group.
Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I believe that campaign was successful, as this one will be.
Riley

BANNED
# 991

And how long ago was that?

Be realistic. A terrorist group is not something you can wage war against. It's not structured or anything like that.

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the IRA is very structured. But under the principles of the Just war, you cannot wage war on anything less than a state, and you must be proportionate.
Which leads me to wonder whether a nuclear strike would be proportionate.

Love
Angel

Riley

BANNED
# 991

No response will make anything better. Anything the US does terrorists will retaliate. However, the public want a war. They want the lives of the poeple who did this. The result of this will not be pretty...
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The posts on this thread resonate with the process of greiving; denial, anger etc. One of the unique aspects of this tragedy is that it occurred before our eyes and we were helpless to do anything to stop or mitigate it. In its aftermath we search for ways to overcome our helplessness. It is encouraging to see the most common response has been for prayer.
But there is also many calls for action that are also prevalent in the secular news. Again, there is frustration as to to who the action would be against. Bin Ladin seems to be the usual suspect. Would assassinating him be a help or would it give our own "terrorists" license to abuse the Muslims in the US and the world? The former would, at least, remove a known leader of terrorism while the latter brings up a horrific picture of racist civil war.
Resisting the orge for action may be the hardest yet best we can do. While continuing the prayers, rescues, consolation, safeguards and reconstruction will be the best thing to charge us with a unity of purpose that will overcome this evil.

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Riley is right. The US can pour missiles down on a people or a country - but they cannot do anything to curb the hatred that is in these terrorists hearts. If we knew how to curb hatred, I daresay we could put an end to violent crime almost entirely.
I could be wrong in this, but it seems that this act is probably more to do with a violent rage against the West and all that, in their minds, it stands for. Its only natural that we should want to retaliate, an eye for an eye and all that. It might make us feel better but it doesn't do anything at all. Nothing changes, terrorists will stil continue to build up arms, will still hate and will still bomb, mutilate and kill. It is a pointless battle.

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

We must move to do what we can to prevent future attacks; naturally, detroying the resources and minds behind these attacks would be an effective way to do so.

I am sorry that certain people on this thread seem willing to accept these atrocities, or have a fatalistic "there's nothing we can do" attitude. Thankfully most US citizens and many other world citizens and governments are willing to do whatever is within their abilities to wipe out evil wherever we find it.

Riley

BANNED
# 991

how are you going to kill peóple's beliefs? Did you see the pictures of the Palestinians cheering at the news of the disasters? They were cheering and filling the streets and firing weapons in the air as a celebration. These people are happy that the US is suffering because they believe that the US is responsible for their suffering. They feel the same way about the West as the west feels about them. It's like saying that they could stop liberalism by killing us all. You will never curb terrorism, and you wil never kill their ideal
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an understandable urge when you have been assaulted to hit out in anger and hurt back, even if you're not sure the person you retaliate against is your assailant. The urge is stronger when you feel you need to be seen to take action.

This however is not the same as justice.

The US is understandably very angry now. This is not the best frame of mind to be in when thinking about taking rational, considered, just and proportionate action.

I hope and pray we will not see escalations which could have hugely worse effects worldwide than yesterday's appalling atrocities in the Northern part of the American continent.

Terrorism of this kind is quite different from warfare. Warfare is carried out under the command of the leaders of a state, and thus retaliation against that state can - to some extent - be justified. Terrorism is carried out by individuals or groups with no clear authority structure and no clear geographic boundaries, so retaliation using weapons of mass destruction is even more inappropriate. Since no state is directly responsible for yesterday's events, there is no state for USA to declare war against.

May God have mercy on us all.

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CharlottePlatz:
Its only natural that we should want to retaliate, an eye for an eye and all that.

Remember Jesus quoted the "eye for an eye" principle but taught a higher principle; one which is very hard and which we can only aspire to and hope for.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want both eyes, all their teeth and their tongue.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick lesson for those of us suffering from rectal-cranial inversion:

You need the resources to train pilots to pull of such a stunt. Clearly you don't know your ass from a cockpit, otherwise you'd know that it is pretty damn difficult to steer a plane hundreds of miles into a relatively not large target. You have to have the funds in place to train them. You have to have the network in place to get them and their weapons on board in such a planned event.

And truth be told, I could not care less about removing hatred from these monsters' hearts. They are welcome to hate from now until the time we send ten thousand tons of ordnance up their collective ass.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

- Posted      Profile for fee   Email fee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ummm exxcuse me if this sounds heartless or insensitive... but has there not already been enough bloodshed, haven't enough innocent people lost their lives? etaliation.... war? thsi is madness. Yes I can understand the anger, i can even understand wanting revenge. But how ccan people who have lost so much talk of such madness (its the only word i can think of for it) yeah, you might be able to find the terrorists who organised this, but the ones who carried it out are dead (aren't they... didn't they die when they crashed their planes into the buildings?!) So how is going to war with a country or a terrorist organisation (should it ever be discovered who was behind this) goign to solve anything. is it going to bring back the lives of those killed as they tried to start work? Is it gonig to bring back the lives of the emergency services presumed dead, when the towers collapsed? I don't think so.

Sorry but this is what I think.
Fee

Posts: 256 | From: Northampton | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afghanistan is already in the grip of famine. 3million people are affected
Now this.

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I sort of agree with Fee.

It's not that I wouldn't dearly like to see someone punished, or that I don't think it's incredibly important to stop them from doing it again, but the world needs to stop and think before it decides what to do.

If Bin Laden is responsible, then Bush has made it pretty clear that there will be major trouble for Afghanistan if they don't hand him over. Much as I hate what the Taliban has done/is doing, I still realise that Afghanistan is a poor country, gripped with civil war. US military reprisals against them could have appalling long term consequences in terms of civillian lives. More killing of innocents is not a good solution to the problem. I don't know what the right solution is. I just know that we cannot stoop to their level.

I cannot love my enemies, in this situation. But I can know who my enemies are. Not the people of any developing world country - that's for sure.

I don't know what the answer is. It hurts even to think about it. I just don't know.

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I find the irony in this amazing. I have only expressed a desire for strong, swift and PERMANENT justice for those responsible. I have refrained from naming any names, because at this point I simply do not know. Yet y'all cheerfully fill in the blanks and make blanket assumptions that I really wish you wouldn't make.

Though I would gladly publicly flog the people who celebrate something like this, I'm not after Palestinian or any other innocent blood. The guilty, though...

The people behind this, and the government that supports them, are our enemies. Not just enemies of America, but the UK and other NATO countries as well (remember NATO?). Additionally, they are enemies of all our Pacific and South America allies with whom we have a treaty. Militarily speaking, the United States cannot be on any higher level of alert. We are currently in an unofficial state of war.

It will not be conventional war by any stretch of the imagination. But the US will, either covertly or overtly, pound the shit out of whoever is responsible for this, and treat those who harbor these terrorists exactly the same. Because, in the end, they are.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rachel_o:
But I can know who my enemies are. Not the people of any developing world country - that's for sure.

I'm afraid it's looking more and more like that's exactly who the enemies are I'm afraid. News is coming in about the identity of some of the hijackers and they all seem to be connected with bin Ladin (though he himself denies personal involvement). The scale of this attack is an act of war and the Afghan government will have to realise that if they continue to shelter this "*@+¤ they may effectively be putting themselves in a position of being at war with the West.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin,

If it isn't Bin Laden behind this, then it's most likely somone in another poverty-stricken nation. If it's someone in a rich nation, then it doesn't actually make a lot of difference. Military retaliation means innocent people will die.

After the Pan Am plane exploded over Lockerbie, killing everyone on board, and many, many on the ground it took YEARS of negotiations, sanctions, etc etc to extradite those presumed responsible. But those poeple were brought, in the end to a court of law.

The non-military methods may not be quick, they may not satisfy our thirst for revenge, but we should pray that they will be used and be effective. The alternatives are - I'm convinced - worse.

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

This is where you and I differ, I believe. I don't see this as a crime to be tried in a court of law. I see it as an act of war to be dealt with accordingly.

--------------------

fee
Shipmate
# 1047

- Posted      Profile for fee   Email fee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not saying that anyone in particular is responsible, obv some one is, but at the present moment noone is owning up and noone can therefore attach responsibility.
Erin, i'm sorry if you though i was doing that, i don't feel as if i could cause at the end of the day it could have been just about anyone. Noone real knows, yet! But i stand by my belief that enough blood has already been shed, there's got to be some other way of dealing with those responsible. And full scale war? Like that can only effect the guilty ones?! I hardly think so!
Fee

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

Erin -

I can see where you're coming from. But the consequences of war are enormous, far bigger than the consequences of this truly dreadful, horrific, disgusting act. The US going to war puts the world in danger.

It may be that war is the way it has to be, but I hope the people who make the decisions think and pray long and hard first.

Rachel.

--------------------

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fee and Rachel already have put all of this very well, and I shall only record my agreement.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Henry Kissinger made a comment yesterday that responsibility lies not only with the terrorists themselves but the countries that harbor them. If retaliation is swift and sure, countries will think twice about sheltering rogues who are a threat not just to the US, but to all of civilization.

Otherwise, we will be facing these scenes again, within our own borders, or maybe yours.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And truth be told, I could not care less about removing hatred from these monsters' hearts. They are welcome to hate from now until the time we send ten thousand tons of ordnance up their collective ass.

Erin, anyone unfamiliar with your florid expressions of anger is going to see this as reckless. By using the faceless phrase "these monsters" and picking as your appropriate response "ten thousand tons of ordnance" it is understandable to me that people would fill in the blanks to translate "these monsters" to mean thousands of people who would be killed in a military strike. If you just meant the few dozens or hundreds of people directly responsible for the attack, people would probably have expected you to say "publicly hanged in downtown New York City, where the families of the victims would have a decent chance to spit on them."

Also, in saying that you don't care about removing hatred from the faceless, unnamed monsters' hearts that you are not particular about who exactly gets hurt by your 10,000 tons of ordinance.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, though, and assume that you meant that even if it was just a crack team of 10 people who did this, your vote would be to send 10,000 tons of ordnance up their collective asses, or 1,000 tons per ass. I know you to be a fair person and this may well be fair under the circumstances.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fee
Shipmate
# 1047

no no no!
Swift and sure retaliation???? Firstly how can anyone ever be sure?! secondly, how can retaliation be swift? Especially if we're talking war here... its not possible. Retaliation, no matter how swift the actual act would be will take its toll for years, it will be remembered and have an effect. its not possible for it or its effects to be swift!
I can't believe that people actually think it would be the best way of dealing with this tragedy. i mean its not going to bring back all those killed now is it? Retaliation and judgement... now forgive me if i'm wrong. but surely they are up to God. not us flawed humans?!
Fee

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

I have just heard a very statesmanlike and measured speech by George W Bush - more balanced than I thought he was capable of. He speaks of absolute determination to seek out and punish the perpetrators, of this being a war of good against evil and of his determination to seek out international support, but most importantly,

"We will be patient"

However much his citizens may be baying for blood, wanting the big guns out, demanding precipitate action, I hope he will be patient and measured in his response, and gain international consensus.

Incidentally many have said this is a war of democracy against terrorism. It is not, it must be those who believe in the rule of law (whether or not democratic, and perhaps including dictatorships) against terrorism.

It is also important that we do not see this as a war against Islam. It is a war against fundamentalist terrorism, and those of us who claim to be christians must be aware of the history of terrorist acts by christians against Muslims, particularly in the crusades. Fundamentalisms of all sorts can lead to atrocities, and liberals of all sorts must seek for reasonable, measured behaviour. If our emotions tend to lead us into unchristian behaviour, we should transcend, sanctify or sublimate those instincts.

Pt

--------------------

Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to wait for a couple of days before posting. Wanted to wait until the dust settles etc.

However time doesn't heal. Hatred will grow unless identified and dealt with.

I'm scared too even though I live in London about what is going to happen next (Working in London during the height of the IRA's bombing didn't do too much for my sense of security).

Last week a school was bombed in Northern Ireland and that makes me sick.

Justice where is it. We believe in it so much but when needed it cruelly lets us down.

So we take an eye but that only blinds others but doesn't really make us feel better and the hurt and emptiness just does not go away.

Sorry for ranting ship mates.

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Calvin
Shipmate
# 271

- Posted      Profile for Calvin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with fee, judgement is needed but it should be up to God. There are many places in the Bible, OT and NT where it says that we should have confident in a Holy God being the final and totaly just judge. As Christians we should not be calling for violance and revenge, who are we, sinful people to see things clearly ?

--------------------
A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

Posts: 305 | From: Here and Now | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are making the assumption that "swift and sure retaliation" means bombing somebody back to the stone age. It doesn't necessarily mean that. It does mean that this threat to world security must be removed. People are assuming that this is now a holy war. Personally, I don't care in whose name these terrorists think they were working. I just don't want them to do it again.

--------------------

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh please. Was turning the other cheek the proper reaction to the bombing of London?

These people chose planes with the largest fuel load. They picked targets for high body counts. They took the time to plan and train. They were aided and abetted by country(s) and government(s). This is not a crime but an act of war.

And we will respond in kind.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

I should have quoted. That wasn't aimed at you, Renee.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cold war ended, but another hidden war had only just begun.

You cannot have a new Cold war with terrorists and the governments that shelter, and foster them. We have tried sanctions, political negotiations and concessions. It hasn't worked.

Yesterdays events mark the begining of a new world war, it will not be fought as the World Wars of the 20th century were fought, neither will it be a war of apocolypse and nuclear warheads, but it will be a war.

If nothing is done then we all live in fear that the same things will happen again and agian. If we institute a pseudo police state and live in fear for 20 years the threat will still not go away.

Afghanistan will likely be one of the first countries to be effected, but the War will be fought for over 10 years, and to win the West must wipe out the forces arrayed against it.

To think that we can go back to our homes and Jobs with nothing changed is extremely shortsighted. I hate war, but this war already exists and has been escalated to a point that it must be clearly fought and won. It's not going away folks.

We have to face it. We are at a State of War.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mind is trying to understand. 10000 people in those towers. All workers. How many people will be affected in the long term. The families friends, loved ones. Just the thought of it makes me upset. Just a person going off to another day on the office and never comming home. I am very greved.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the ny fire dept. has lost AT LEAST 200 people.

i can't take that in.

what are we going to do?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was encouraged to see that from the time the news broke until late into the evening, the only action on the ship's boards was prayer and discussion. Even now there is little response on the more frivolous threads. Most people have an innate feeling for when such things are inappropriate. I have no doubt that things will return to a lighter mein later, but for everything there is a season and most people see the fitness of it.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

I think I have to shut down for a little while. My chest has been hurting for 24 hours now and I just can't absorb the magnitude of human loss at the hands of others.

See you all in a few days.

Love,

Renee

--------------------

CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...there is of course, the other angle to all this. There is a simple and unescapable fact that one day, each of these responsible has to stand before God and defend their actions. If you really do believe that (and I do) then it is safe to assume that nothing we can ever do can match eternal punishment. That doesn't mean that we should turn a blind eye, I agree with previous sentiments that if we see evil, we should do what we can to bring its reign to an end. Its just that we never will be able to conquer evil entirely, not in this lifetime - and in reality, no amount of punishment that the US hands out can ever really and honestly atone for the loss of x amount of people and the untold misery and heartache of millions.

There is nothing to be done that would match that. But hell knows, I do not want to be around when God calls 'em all to judgement!

Oh dear, now I sound all fundamentalist and whatnot - which is not my intention!

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe there's a confusion over what people mean by 'war' here. If it's old-style indiscriminately kicking hell out of entire countries with 1000tons of whatever per arse because people are angry, that's what's going to lead to a terrifying escalation of everything. But if it's fighting against the terrorism itself by going after individuals, cells and other targets to blame, then that is absolutely necessary to stop it happening. The trick, of course, is to do this without leading to a horrific all-out conflict - that's why it's so important that's it's done calmly, and I'm very very impressed by what Bush has said.

A (I think RAF) plane just flew low overhead; it was very loud. My first thought was that they were doing it to London now. I don't want the world to be such that that is a legitimate fear. Neither do I want WWIII. The trick is to make sure of the former without precipiating the latter. I'm praying very very hard for all the decision-makers in this situation.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to post that last to Riley's thread, but it obviously got pulled before I hit the button. No great loss.

I've tried several times to compose a post for this board, but I can't find the words. Although the idea of war horrifies me, issuing an open invitation to anyone with a grudge (real of percieved) to attack with impunity is worse. And I don't for one moment think that the people behind these attacks were the ones who boarded the planes.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016