homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Terrorism in US (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Terrorism in US
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ann - as a poster again on the 'frivolous' boards from this afternoon, I don't find being there inappropriate, nor does it vitiate my response to the situation. Please can people be allowed to deal with their feelings in their own way, rather than being told what is appropriate behaviour if their behaviour isn't harming other people. Riley, of course, was a different matter as he was upsetting people, me included.

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am by no means in favor of indiscriminate killing. Again, I've made it a point to avoid blaming anyone specifically for these actions. We simply do not know. I am infuriated, to be sure, but only at those who are responsible. I am not in favor of carpet bombing the hell out of the Middle East, not by any stretch of the imagination.

However, once it has been determined who is responsible, we act. Decisively and without prejudice. These are the realities, people. War is ugly and brutal and necessary. Look at what happened here yesterday:

• 10,000+ civilians killed
  • civilian targets
  • commercial, civilian aircraft turned into weapons of mass destruction
  • the world's financial market crippled in the short term, at the very least

The consequences of ten years of retaliation via ass-kissing is what we're looking at. No more. No more.

Do you ever wonder why no one screws with the Russians? It is a far cry from ideological solidarity, believe me. Back when Western citizens were being kidnapped in the Middle East, they attempted to terrorize the Russians in the same way. The only thing is, the Russians fought back. For every Russian citizen who disappeared, a known terrorist disappeared. For a little while, though. Soon enough they sent him back, in pieces, bit by bloody bit.

On a gut level I find that appalling, though theoretically I know that death is death and the means don't make that much difference. But that is how Zero Tolerance is carried out. You don't react to attacks, you go on the offensive. And people will die, no doubt some of them innocent. I keep thinking of the people on the plane that crashed in PA. They are the heroes here – they knew they would not survive, but they were prepared to die in order to save others' lives.

Our planes are grounded, our military on wartime alert. Find the bastards behind this and give them a dose of wartime justice. Determine which governments supported them and make them an international pariah. The only thing that stopped Libya's overt sponsorship of terrorism was freezing their international assets. Hit them where they feel it the most – the wallet. It's the only thing that works.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
We simply do not know.

The clues are coming in.

ABC News

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan, I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear - I tend to get a bit too stiffly formal.

I was referring to the few hours after the news broke, I was making an observation, I was contrasting most people's behaviour with Riley's.

I then realised that I could be taken as being disapproving of any lightening of the mood, but had difficulty expressing it. I'm sorry that it came out the way it did.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI

there'a a swat team and bomb squad at the Westin hotel here in Copley Square. They're arresting a suspect. Please pray that there will be no more violence on either side in this process it is not far from where I am typing this.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Questia - thoughts and prayers are with you and those around you.

Ann - thanks And sorry my post was snappy.

--------------------

soupdragon
Shipmate
# 552

- Posted      Profile for soupdragon   Email soupdragon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand the need to remove the threat from these terrorists, but I wonder if it will be successful. Haven't the US been after bin Laden for years? Clinton's missile strikes in retaliation for the embassy bombings in 98 failed to hurt him.

Even if they did, he has networks and contacts all over the world, who knows where.

Don't know if it's more tragic or ironic to think that bin Laden and friends were once allies of the west and received US training. Makes you weep at the whole mess of it all.

Have just been reading about the phone calls made from the planes before they crashed. So much sorrow and pain.

Posts: 68 | From: Glasgow or Indiana | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, I thank you very much for your thoughtful clarification and feel that I can support the idea of "military justice" to a "military-style attack." When a country is under military attack, whatever the source, it is not practical or appropriate to implement careful, measured, innocent-until-proven-guilty-go-ahead-and-exhaust- every-appeal-up-through-the-Supreme-Court- and-United Nations-justice-tempered-with-infinite-Christian-mercy.

Under military threat, an immediate assessment needs to be made of the source of the military attack, followed by 100% elimination of its military source. Our planes are still grounded. Our citizens do not know if there are still 10 or 100 or more fanatics with plastic knives waiting to reboard planes and continue this threat. I'm supposed to fly from Dulles to Austin, Texas next Wednesday. Am I going to end up a grease spot on the Capitol building?

It would have been justified to me if yesterday, our military had come to the same conclusion as Orrin Hatch and said, "The head is most likely bin Laden, his most likely location is (x,y) in Afghanistan. I say we hit it, and promise more appropriate military, politcal, and legal action until the threat to our country is eliminated. That ought to slow them up a bit."

This kind of response is a humane (and arguably "Christian") defense of innocent lives against military threat, and is supportable in my view even though it runs the risk of hurting or killing the wrong people. That is an inherent tragedy once military action is started. Offering your entire country up for slaughter and the risk of slaughter is neither following the example of Christ, who offered only himself, nor learning from history as you so correctly pointed out.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who do not believe that this was an Act of War, think briefly about the Blitz. An act of war, with an enemy. Directed at military targets? Or meant to terrorize the British into submission? Didn't work, did it?

We have an enemy too. All of us. Terrorism is not unique to the US--how many car bombs have gone off in London and killed people? How much terrorist violence occurs all over the world? Terrorism is the Enemy, and it has many faces and lives in many countries.

Americans aren't raving lunatics who just want to bomb Afghanistan and its hungry, land-mine lamed population back into the Stone Age. We want the world to recognize that terrorism is warfare. It's directed at all of us, each an every one of us, whether we're in London, Sydney, Perth, Edinburgh, New York, Washington or Los Angeles.

I have a sister in Nebraska who was in tears last night, crying "Is it over? Is it over? Will they come here next?" I have a sister and niece in Washington DC, asking the same questions.

Thank you, Edward, for your post affirming that we are a world at war. It makes me feel that we are not standing alone at this time. And thank you, Erin, for straightening out the misunderstandings.

And thanks for every person on the Ship who prays for us all.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I stand scared that to attack Afghanistan and kill Bin Laden along with colateral damage is just to create more Bin Ladens more enemies and more hatred. We have to look at other terrorist wars to see possible consequences.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few responses and then some ruminations...

quote:
Ptarmigan said:
Since no state is directly responsible for yesterday's events, there is no state for USA to declare war against.

Ah, so you KNOW who is responsible? Have you told the FBI? Or were you just shooting off your mouth?

We don't yet know if any state is directly responsible for the monstrosities of 9/11/2001, so your statement was a little -um- misdirected?

quote:
Erin said:
(remember NATO?).

Ah, those folks that (quite illegally) bombed innocent civilians in Serbia in 1999? Yes, I think I remember them. I don't expect too much from them in the way of justice, though -- not until William Jefferson Clinton is brought before the Hague for war crimes.

quote:
Calvin said:
I agree with fee, judgement is needed but it should be up to God.

If you were in charge during 1939, we'd all be speaking German with a Nazi accent.

-----

As for the Pearl Harbor comparison -- this is far, far worse than Pearl Harbor. First of all, the vast majority of people killed in Pearl Harbor were military, and military in a dangerous ocean during a known war. And the number is in the low thousands.

The attacks of 9/11/2001 were primiarily (in terms of lives lost) against civilians, and the deaths promise to be well over 10,000. 45,000 people work every day in the WTC, and many more thousands come and go, delivering stuff, having away meetings, and so forth. The death toll could still be as high as 40,000 or more.

I was glad President Bush had the guts to use the word "evil." So many of the news reports were trying so hard to be non-judgmental it was vomitous (although somebody on NPR did use the word "enormity" -- incorrectly, of course). Using a plane full of innocent people as a bomb is EVIL. The people who would plot to carry out such an attack are EVIL.

Thanks for listening.

Alex

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, in the midst of our pain, we must also begin to think about the root causes of terrorism.

Poverty. Economic and physical isolation. Real and imagined injustices. Perception of powerlessness. And so forth.

If our only response is to smash the SOBs who masterminded this, or the country/countries that harbored them, then we will probably end up contributing to a greater escalation.

What's next? Biological, chemical, and nuclear weapons? They probably have those--or can get them.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief: inflammatory much? You just violated Godwin's Law and have now forfeited the debate.

Tom, this attack is completely and utterly unjustifiable. No matter how impoverished you are, how hopeless you feel, to attack tens of thousands of innocent people is beyond even criminally insane. It is pure, abject evil.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted the first three lines of this poem yesterday. Someone has e-mailed me saying she wished I'd posted the whole thing. So here it is. The author is Edith Sitwell.

Still Falls the Rain
(The raids, 1940: night and dawn)

Still falls the Rain--
Dark as the world of man, black as our loss--
Blind as the nineteen hundred and forty nails upon the Cross

Still falls the Rain
With a sound like the pulse of the heart that is changed to the hammer beat
In the Potter's Field, and the sound of the impious feet

On the Tomb:
Still falls the Rain
In the Field of Blood where the small hopes breed and the human brain
Nurtures its greed, that worm with the brow of Cain

Still falls the Rain
At the feet of the Starved Man hung upon the Cross
Christ that each day, each night, nails there, have mercy on us--
On Dives and on Lazarus:
Under the Rain the sore and gold are as one.

Still falls the Rain--
Still falls the Blood from the Starved Man's wounded Side
He bears in His Heart all wounds,--those of the light that died,
The last faint spark
In the self-murdered heart, the wounds of the sad uncomprehending dark,
The wounds of the baited bear,--
The blind and weeping bear whom the keepers beat
On his helpless flesh...the tears of the hunted hare.

Still falls the Rain--
Then--"O Ile leape up to my God! Who pulles me doune?--
See, see where Christ's blood streames in the firmament."
It flows from the Brow we nailed upon the tree
Deep to the dying, to the thirsting heart
That holds the fires of the world,--dark-smirched with pain
As Caesar's laurel crown.

Then sounds the voice of One, who, like the heart of man,
Was once a child who among beasts has lain--
"Still do I love, still shed my innocent light, my Blood, for thee."

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
moo, thank you. i have long loved that poem, and i too thought of it after this.

especially the line about dives and lazerous.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Erin: explaining someone's behaviour is by no means justifying it - as with yesterday, an unjustifyable act can be explained. No matter what the explanation for these peoples' behaviour, what they did was wrong, horrific and awful. The thing is that if we're ever fully going to be free from people doing this sort of thing then we're going to have to stop people being formed with whatever triggers these people had. This in no way takes away from their wrong-doing. Fighting against terrorism doesn't just mean stopping the terrorists, it means stopping people becoming terrorists. And that means having a world based on love, however hopeless and impossible that seems.

We saw yesterday what can happen when people get so full of hate that they do horrific things. It has made me utterly convinced that the only thing that can possibly defeat such hate is love - if that hate is met only with more hate then things will only get worse. Love here doesn't mean turn-the-other-cheek-and-don't-defend-ourselves: it means taking part in building a world where people don't do the things against which we need to defend.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard two upbeat stories in connection with yesterday's events.

The first concerns some students at Pace University, which is close to the World Trade Centers. They spoke to the people who had escaped from the buildings, and invited them into their rooms to use their computers to send e-mail. That way their friends and relatives knew immediately that they were all right.

The other concerns shoe-store owners who stood in front of their stores giving away sneakers to anyone who had no shoes.

When we've seen such demonstrations of evil, it's really nice to be reminded how good and decent many people are.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
some quick notes from my end of things.

ny public libraries will be closing at 5 (as opposed to 6 or later) for the rest of this week but hopefully back to regular schedules after that.

and my husband just volunteered to be on-call to help out with caring for the search and rescue dogs down at the site.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Shipmate
# 102

- Posted      Profile for Gill   Email Gill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(What is a Nazi accent, Alex????!!)

ABCNEWS sources identify another hijacker as Satan Suqami

How's that for an appropriate name. Overt or what?

Let's just keep praying. There's right and wrong in all our thoughts, and we simply don't know what's for the best. We need to pray for the guys making the decisions.

Still praying for all you US folk... And others with loved ones over there.

--------------------
Still hanging in there...

Posts: 1828 | From: not drowning but waving... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's come out that the plane that went into the Pentagon was intended for the White House. Air Force was was also a target.

Not an act of war?

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Air Force One, not Air Force.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Moo, for posting the Sitwell poem in its entirety.

~Beth

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear everyone who is saying not to give in to hate and lower oneself to the level of terrorist. At the same time, when violence is in progress, the priority first and foremost is to stop it. If a gunman starts shooting people one by one in a public square, it is not time to pause and reflect on the tragedy of his or her childhood that has led them to this desparate, irrational, and indefensibly evil act. You tell them to drop their weapon or you will shoot. Not for the sake of revenge and hatred, but in order to spare innocent life. To pause and reflect while the violence is on-going is to allow innocents to die because someone has understandably gone insane and given themselves over to evil based on their tragic life experiences.

The argument carries even more force when it is on the scale of yesterday's tragedy, involving probably tens of thousands of deaths perpetrated by an unknown number of well-funded, well-coordinated people. While "War" is too broad a term, "terrorist attack" is far too mild. That is why I used the word "military." It is true that when a Catholic blows up a Protestant church in Ireland, it only escalates and perpetuates violence if a Protestant family member of the victim blows up a Catholic church in retaliation. But if airliners are hijacked and crashed into the Vatican and St. Pat's in New York within minutes of each other and the only way to halt it for the moment is to shut down every airport in the world, this is not the time to call an ecumenical council on Catholic/Protestant strife to ease terrorist tensions.

If we knew that the only weapon yesterday's terrorists have at their disposal are our commercial airliners, we could assume that we have put them out of business and take a "go slow" response while we live without any commercial air traffic for the months it would take to find, try, and punish the people in question via normal legal means. But they could well have enough money and organization to have other weapons of mass destruction at their disposal.

My main point is not to argue the specific action that is needed. It is simply to argue that there needs to be recognition that this is something bigger than what we have come to call a "terrorist attack" while also recognizing that it is not a full scale declaration of a state of war. It is probably something new, that the world has never seen: a privately-declared war. A Hitler no longer needs a decade to build a military machine capable of blizting a continent: it appears that a billionaire can do it by writing out a few checks.

CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel terrible. I came home from work tonight and on the bus, sitting opposite me was a man, talking loudly in arabic, on his mobile phone. At one point, he laughed loudly and I nearly jumped up and smacked him one. I can't believe I would even feel such anger towards someone who had nothing to do with such a thing - and in all probability was just enjoying a joke with a friend. This is scary, it seems to bring the good and the bad stuff bubbling out of all of us. I told myself to be rational and accept that he was more than likely to be just as outraged as the rest of us. But that was it for me, I could not wait to get off that bus.

So, if I, a fairly reasonable and rational human being could feel such anger towards a complete stranger on a bus - I wonder what is happening tonight in our towns and cities, amongst people who enjoy fighting and have 'bones to pick' with ethnic minorities. I think we need to pray for all our countries.

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Jim T - it doesn't have to be either/or: protecting ourselves doesn't mean having to hate and not trying to change the world we live in. It's going to be difficult to do both, but I honestly can't see any other way out of this mess.

--------------------

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

Charlotte, I know what you mean. This morning, I did not have exact change to get on the Dulles Toll road, so I pulled up to the booth and was greeted by a man in a red turban and a nervous smile who took my dollar and gave me three quarters while he threw the other one in the basket. He was chattering away a mile a minute on his cell phone and broke eye contact as quickly as he could after saying thank you. I wasn't mad, just shocked and unprepared. If I'm honest I suppose I did have an impulse to stop and question him just because I wanted to know who he was talking to and what he was saying, but I just drove off after thanking him for the change. I wondered what his day was going to be like, giving thousands of DC area residents three quarters for a dollar all day long. A large number of people in my neighborhood work at the Pentegon or at the CIA. I wonder how many didn't have exact change at the Hunter Mill ramp for the eastbound Dulles Toll Road.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What did I say that was inflammatory, O queen of the flames?

Saying I've forfeited the debate seems quite cowardly. Is that inflammatory?

Someone doesn't like being disagreed with.

Alex

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

PS what's Godwin's Law? I didn't find it in the guidelines for posting in Hell, nor on the 10 commandments for posting at SoF. How can I help it if I break laws I don't even know exist?

Alex

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

It's not a Ship thing, it's an Internet thing. Godwin's Law

--------------------

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, I must thank you--Godwin's Law gave me the first genuine laugh I've had since Monday night.

---

In other news, of course downtown boston is safe and I appear to be the only person who thought otherwise.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
some thoughts...

while the usa can't declare war on a person/group per se, if a country is shielding them, then it can be assumed that the country is in agreement with them about their actions, and i'm guessing war could be declared on them.

some one asked if outside usa help was coming in - the raf (british airforce) have sent help in to do search and rescue, and the other squadrons are on delta alert (level below actual war). my friend's son is in the raf, and we spoke to him earlier. from his evasive responses etc, it is certain that he knows a lot more than he is telling. all he did say about the possibility of war is that he would phone if they have to go. and not to worry, he would be safe. *shrug* trying not to read anything into it - i know lee, and i know his mates, and i don't want them to die.

i'm praying for people who have lost friends and relatives. and i'm praying for bush and his advisers, that they can figure out what the right and godly thing to do is, that they would listen to god on this one....

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I wasn't comparing anybody to the Nazi's, so Godwin's law doesn't apply.

Alex

--------------------

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the reason for "war" is to prevent this happening again, (rather than to relieve people's justifiable feelings of anger), then wouldn't security improvements be a more humane method than acts of warfare which inevitably kill innocent civilians?

Retaliation (as opposed to prevention) is a somewhat primitive instinct, and - in my understanding of christianity - not an acceptable motive. (Can anyone tell us how Jews handle the "eye for an eye" principle, since they do not have Jesus' turning this on its head in the NT?)

Christian "just war" theory requires (amongst other things) the minimum force necessary. In the case of the gunman in the public square, for instance, a shot to disable rather than to kill would be more acceptable.

If when people are using the word "war" they mean simply a renewed energy in the ongoing international efforts to eradicate terrorism, targetting the individuals and cells, then I'm all for it of course, but I think war is the wrong word for it.

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wasn't comparing anybody to the Nazi's, so Godwin's law doesn't apply.

Alex

Reread the law, hon, you only have to INVOKE the Nazis. I'll even quote it here:

quote:
As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Telling a pacifist who doesn't want to judge that they would have been in essence a Nazi collaborator is just a cheap shot.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Retaliation (as opposed to prevention) is a somewhat primitive instinct, and - in my understanding of christianity - not an acceptable motive. (Can anyone tell us how Jews handle the "eye for an eye" principle, since they do not have Jesus' turning this on its head in the NT?)

Christian "just war" theory requires (amongst other things) the minimum force necessary. In the case of the gunman in the public square, for instance, a shot to disable rather than to kill would be more acceptable.

Pssssst... perhaps you missed this, but the US government is officially secular. It is not beholden to any religion's principles.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You missed the crucial word -- "comparison" -- I wasn't comparing anybody to the Nazi's.

Any pacifist risks being called an appeaser. If they don't like that, maybe they shouldn't be pacifists. Because there is no way to have unilateral pacifism without appeasement.

Somebody said that all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. If this is what pacifists would have us do (other than wag our fingers vigorously), then they are part of the problem and not the solution.

Allied involvement in WW2 saved millions of lives -- if only of Jews and Gypsies (and other "unwanted" types) who missed a date with the ovens. Tell THEM that pacifism always and everywhere the thing to do.

Do I have a problem with absolutist pacifism? You bet. Will I invoke the memory of WW2? You bet.

And Godwin can stick his law up his fat ass.

Saying that any and all comparisons to WW2 are always and everywhere off limits, as Godwin's law does (by ridicule), is (1) an unwarranted attack on the free dissemination of ideas, and (2) stupid.

Alex

--------------------

ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Pssssst... perhaps you missed this, but the US government is officially secular. It is not beholden to any religion's principles.

The question I'm addressing is what the US should do, and what I, as a christian, hope it will do.

Bush uses God talk when it suits him, and I'm sure he means the crhistian God. The US sing "God Bless America". US dollars say "In God we trust". Secular in US seems mystifying to me as an Englishman. Is there an explanation?

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ptarmigan:
If the reason for "war" is to prevent this happening again, (rather than to relieve people's justifiable feelings of anger), then wouldn't security improvements be a more humane method than acts of warfare which inevitably kill innocent civilians?

There is also the problem of how much of a police state we should have to live in to protect ourselves from somebody else's insanity. The idea of permanent card-carrying lockdown doesn't strike me as humane.

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mennonites are pacifists. They suffered a lot of persecution in this country during World War I and II because they refused to fight. Many of them distinguished themselves as non-combatant medics -- just because people aren't willing to kill for their country doesn't mean they aren't willing to die for it. On behalf of all my forebears for the last 400 years, I resent the idea that there is no pacificism without appeasement.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by ptarmigan:
The question I'm addressing is what the US should do, and what I, as a christian, hope it will do.

Bush uses God talk when it suits him, and I'm sure he means the crhistian God. The US sing "God Bless America". US dollars say "In God we trust". Secular in US seems mystifying to me as an Englishman. Is there an explanation?

Pt

Yes. It's called the First Amendment. Type that into the search box to your left and do a little research.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few words from the front lines.

After the attack on the Pentagon my university was closed. I ended up walking back into the city to avoid traffic and any possible roadblocks. Indeed, all inbound routes were blocked and the government and most retail establishments closed throughout the day. It was eery walking across Key Bridge and watching the plumes of grey and black smoke rise from the buring Pentagon. Military helicopters flew low over the Potomac. Normally bustling Georgetown was quiet -- there was no traffic in the streets but many people walking, singly or in small groups, towards their homes. People were gathering together and through the open windows one could hear the unmistakable drone of newsreaders as countless residents listened intently to the news bulletins.

Phone lines into and out of DC were disrupted for some hours in the morning and early afternoon, and people (including me) were walking to check in with neighbours and friends, and to sit in company and take in the grotesque and awesome news of the these tragedies.

Churches held prayer services for the nation, requiem masses and eucharists. 4000 people thronged the National Cathedral. Fighter planes and attack helicopters regularly flew low over the city.

Today many schools and universities remain closed, but workers returned the Pentagon and the fires have finally been extinguished there. Casualty estimates have been re-evaluated and (thankfully) diminished from a high estimate of over 800 to nearer 100 expected dead.

The city is calm, but still surreal scenes greet the pedestrian. Policemen and soldiers are stationed throughout the city. Armed patrols guard embassies and significant federal buidlings. Policeman stand at major intersections and round-a-bouts.

And the work of prayer continues. Requiems are being said today, as well as prayers of repentence, thanks for lives saved, and fervent supplications for peace.

This is the work we are called to do.

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

From the Washington Post:

quote:
Minutes before the giant airliner smashed into a field southeast of Pittsburgh, passenger Jeremy Glick used a cell phone to call his wife at home in New Jersey and told her that he and several other people on board had come up with a plan to resist the terrorists who had hijacked the plane, according to Glick's brother-in-law, Douglas B. Hurwitt...

Anticipating his own death, Glick, who celebrated his 31st birthday on Sept. 3, told his wife, Lyzbeth, that he hoped she would have a good life and would take care of their three-month old baby girl, Hurwitt said.

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid you lot have almost persuaded me that this is a war and that it's the only answer. That makes me more unhappy than ever.

I agree that whoever was behind these atrocities has to be stopped. I just wish there was another way. I can't think of any useful alternative. It's terrifying.

Do you guys remeber during the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait a shelter containing lots of civilians - mostly old or very young - was hit by a NATO bomb. Nato had been informed that the place was an intelligence headquarters. War is complicated and unpredictable and can never be expected to kill the "right" people.

But what else is there?

Lord have mercy.

<Trying not to cry.>

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read on the CNN ticker that the passengers on the plane that crashed near Pittsburgh voted to rush the hijackers after learning about the WTC crash. Wow. That makes them 100% heroes, in the most proper sense of that word. I'm so moved by this.

Erin, every time I think of that call, I start sobbing. Along with the guy who called his Mom to say he loved her and that he was sure they were all going to die, but they were going to try to do something about it.

I am with those who think that military action of some kind is going to be necessary (in fact, at the moment, I'm much too mad to be interested in prayer). It is our obligation to do what we can to end the terrorists' grip on the world. This is the new "war" for our generation, and it's been going 100-0 in favor of the terrorists for a long time. I'm not sure what will be called for, but it is critical that we not let countries like Afghanistan and Syria harbor these guys and wink at them while claiming their innocence to the world. I know there are innocent people there, but there are innpcent people everywhere. We cannot allow ourselves by fear of hurting anyone to fail to respond. We've done the ineffective for far too long.

Oh, goody. The Senate just passed a resolution condemning the attack 100 to nothing. There's a shock! Do you think they had to twist many arms for unanimity?

[edited to add forgotten content]

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Latest reports now estimate that 30,000 people are dead in the ruins of the WTC. After the final collapse of the southern tower they deemed the operation "search and recovery". They had thought that police officers who were trapped were firing their guns in an effort to alert rescuers to their location. As they reached them, they discovered that the heat from the fire and the collapse was detonating the bullets, and NY's Finest (and Bravest) were, in fact, dead.

--------------------

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They interviewed a firefighter earlier who was off-duty but reported to his firehouse, and everyone was already gone. It turned out that they were in the first wave of rescue people, who were most likely buried. He could hardly speak, the pain was so evident in every word.

To me, it is every terrible story connected with this that is so hard to bear. The buildings going down was unbelievable, but it is the individual tragedies that are incredibly gut-wrenching.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I hereby extend a very bad word followed by a second person pronoun to every dirtbag eunuch who has used this to get his rocks off by calling in bomb threats to various buildings around the country.

You are scum and a traitor. I hope they find you and throw your sorry ass into Leavenworth for the rest of your life. Which, given that that's a military prison, will be mercifully short.

As to those of you out there who are trying to turn this into some partisan issue (whichever side of the insane asylum you reside in), here's another very bad word followed by a second person pronoun.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin, I second your bad word and pronoun. The Empire State building (quite a ways away from ground zero) was evacuated because of a bomb threat. As if folks in NYC didn't have better things to do with their time today than deal with this. Yesterday Cal State University Long Beach was evacuated because of a bomb threat -- as if people waiting to see if people on planes bound for the SoCal area didn't have better things to do yesterday but evacuate a campus full of 30,000 people.

And equally bad words for the ghouls who are trying to sell debris from the disaster on eBay. Thank goodness eBay is pulling this stuff off the auction block.

But there are some kudos to hand out, too --

To the guys in the ironworkers union in NY, members of which built the WTC, who are dismantling the debris by hand in case people are still alive underneath.

To the postal service people, who are just putting everything on trucks since the planes are all grounded.

To the blood donors. I haven't been able to get through to the Red Cross yet since the lines are all jammed. A friend of mine got through, and was told to wait a couple of days -- they have all the blood they can deal with for the moment, but they'll need more soon.

To the people like Edward James Olmos and LA Episcopal Bishop Suffragan Chet Talton and Arab Jews here (I didn't know we had Arab Jews!) who went to Islamic centers and urged others not to persecute Arab Americans. Maybe we've actually learned something since the internment of Japanese Americans in WW2 and the victimization of Arab Americans after the OK City bombing.

And of course there are many more.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tumbleweed
Shipmate
# 1340

- Posted      Profile for Tumbleweed   Email Tumbleweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talk on the radio here in Hawai‘i (where the military makes up something like 7.5 percent of the popluation and therefore hard to hide) is that the military massively mobilizing.

God help us all.

RE God talk in the US: Part if is that while while the government is officially secular, the country and our politics have long been influenced by Christians and Christianity and many, if not most, in the US have no problem with such influences as long as they are kept general (could be read "shallow"), don't mention differences in doctrine but do make vague appeals to "higher power" and refer to individuals' right to see (or cast) 'God' in what ever way the individual sees fit.

I think the coins, et cet. are a semi-sacred relic of times past when Christians so dominated US society and government that few if any objected to such slogans.

I think Bush is nominally Christian with perhaps a small amount of faith. US Attorney John Ashcroft is quite Christian, of some-what old fashioned bent.

An interesting editorial on what lies ahead for Bush: Philly Inquirer editorial

Posts: 199 | From: Land of Nod //USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
CharlottePlatz
Shipmate
# 695

- Posted      Profile for CharlottePlatz         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, finally got a handful of emails back from my friends in NYC. My former boss had a niece in the building and they have not heard from her. Someone else I used to work with was actually on a bus on her way to an interview on the 102md floor of WTC and felt the strangest impulse to get off the bus and go home. She did, walked in the door, turned on the tv and was just in time to see the tower collapse. She said she just started shaking and sobbing - thankful that, for now, her own life was spared, but in horror at what was happening.

And finally, if anyone in NY knows of the Carlton Hotel in Manhattan (I'm sorry, I don't have the address) - I am looking for my friend Daphne Kaplan. She works there and I have not heard from her.

Posts: 346 | From: NW London | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016