homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Terrorism in US (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Terrorism in US
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot to respond to.

RE: Jerry Falwell et al, our hoarse-voiced evangelist was back outside my subway station today. He's often there reading from the Bible for the evening commuters. His choice of scripture today? The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

---

Actually the idea about post-WWII type occupation got me optimistic for Afghanistan. I've heard that our occupation of Japan gave that country its great economic boom: because they couldn't waste their budget on military spending, they pumped it into better things.

Unfortunately this is ludicrously wishful thinking.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bad news. the stories of the five firemen found alive were innacurate. they were rescuers that had fallen down a pile of ruble, not survivors from the collapse.

*sigh*

i just sewed a flag on my backpack, btw. this is highly atypical behavior for me.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Mother of God. They have arrested a man trying to board a plane at JFK for carrying a false ID and a pilot's license, and have detained five or six more people.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CNN and MSNBC have been reporting all afternoon and evening that at least 100 British citizens died in the WTC, 3 dead and about 96 missing Australians, and 30-odd Japanese. There were 31 Japanese companies with offices in the WTC.

I expect that we'll be hearing more about non-American deaths in coming days. It seems that this act of terrorism has touched us all now.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Buckingham palace tonight (Thursday) the queen ordered the band to play "The Star Spangled Banner" (U.S.A.'s national anthem) during the changing of the guard. That was the sweetest thing to do. I cried while I watched it on the ABC news broadcast. The band wasn't using sheet music--which means they probably spent most of today rehearsing and memorizing it. So incredibly wonderful a gesture.
Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, UK.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the folks here who don't know the words, here's a link to The Star Spangled Banner.

I must admit that I only know the first verse.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that broadcast, and it also brought me to tears. But then, just about anything makes me cry these days.

I also add my thanks, UK.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They say we are all at only six degrees of separation from anyone in the world. How true that is. On Wednesday morning - when most Australians found out what had happened 7 or so hours previously - it all seemed distant, shocking, but unreal. Since then a child has told me her dad was in the WTC towers three days before, another friend spent hours trying to track down a niece who works there - but was elsewhere on business that day. Two close escapes. But today a friend in Melbourne emailed me about a close friend of hers who was dead in the attack. By its very nature the financial centre of NY is a particularly cosmopolitan workplace - this has affected people all over the world. Last night the sky was very clear and I watched the stars; they always make me very aware of our smallness and vulnerability - but last night more than usual.
My prayers are with all who grieve - everywhere

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And reading the experiences of shipmates in the USA has brought home the enormity in a way nothing else could do. Blessings on you all.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CNN is now reporting that a total of 8 persons were taken into custody at JFK and La Guardia in NYC. One person was on a plane already, 3 others were in a pilots lounge. Police commissioner is quoted as saying that it looks like a thwarted hijacking attempt.
All flights out of NYC were suspended, and apparently still are, although flights were being allowed in.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been only two planes that I am aware of over my flat in Oxford in the past three days. As we have a small and normally very busy commercial airport nearby and are under a recognized flight path for passenger planes the silence in the skies is eerie.
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, which is very little, the Changing of the Guard has never ever be altered before. For anything.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Fashioned Crab
Shipmate
# 1204

- Posted      Profile for Old Fashioned Crab     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had the three minutes' silence in our office. A beautiful gentle quiet descended. Noone typing or anything. And there is prayer in the local Church later. Hope I can find the time to go. Somehow some of that gentle atmosphere is left behind. Noone wanted to be the first to break it.

--------------------
O dear white children casual as birds,
Playing among the ruined languages,
So small beside their large confusing words,
So gay against the greater silences
Of dreadful things you did

Posts: 397 | From: Croydon UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just had the three minutes silence too, right in the heart of the West End. The silence that descended ( not just on the office, but seemingly across the whole area ) was palpable. We are thinking of you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My country has formally invoked the 50 yr old ANZUS treaty for the first time. In doing this, Cabinet unanimously agreed to support the US in any military retaliation against the attacks on NY and Washington.

I am very proud.

I also attended a memorial service at St Georges Cathedral today. Full title:
'A service of prayer, memorial and thanksgiving
For those who lost their lives, for those who are injured, for those who mourn, and for medical and emergency personnel
United Airlines flight 175
United Airlines flight 93
American Airlines flight 11
American Airlines flight 77
World Trade Centre, Manhattan, NY
The Pentagon, Richmond, Virginia.'

Very low density tat I might add: cassocks, surplices, tippets and academic hoods, so no ulterior motives on my part. And I overcame my dread that it would be an awful liberal abomination, given the theology of many of the Cathedral clergy. I also worried that the Archbishop and Dean would use it as an opportunity to shove interfaith issues down our throats (Yes, I'm so cynical and distrustful that I thought that they might even stoop to that - they didn't), since the Archbishop had invited the Muslim community to the service (none came that I saw). Anyway, I thought: 'Right. I'm probably gunna hate this. But I'm going to honour the dead people and to be in solidarity with the US friends I've met online'.

Actually, it was a beautiful service. The service booklets had a small piece of thyme stapled to the front, and the prayers included the Romans passage 'I am convinced that neither death, nor life etc' (8:38-39) and a prayer of John Donne. Then followed an anthem - 2 bits actually - negro spirituals 'Steal away to Jesus' and 'Nobody knows the trouble I see' from A Child of our Time, by Michael Tippett - sung by the skillful boy choir of St Georges (HT will approve). A Litany followed. The Anthem before the Gospel was Purcell, Hear my prayer; and the Anthem after the Homily was Faure, Pie Jesu. The readings were very fitting, the moving passage from Wisdom 3:1- 'The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment will ever touch them' etc; 1Co 15:15; and John 14:1-. These were read by the US Consul, the Premier of WA and the Governor (Queen's rep) of WA respectively.

Hymns were 'Alleluia, Sing to Jesus', 'Guide me O thou great Jehovah' (but they used 'Redeemer', blah), and 'Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord'.

The State Commissioner of Police was present as were a contingent of firefighters, and the leader of the State Opposition. Near the Soldier's Chapel the American and Australian flags were flown, the staves crossed over each other. Uniformed and plain clothes police and plainclothes (diplomatic?) security guards were also stationed around the building.

Not a traditional Requiem, but moving.

MWer signing out,
The Coot.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
For what it's worth, which is very little, the Changing of the Guard has never ever be altered before. For anything.

Every little bit helps. This is the first I heard of this and I want to also extend my thanks.

One other small mercy: if I remember correctly from my last visit, the Observation Deck didn't open until 9 AM. At least fewer tourists were killed or injured.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, thanks guys. we do appreciate it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

and some quick notes from new york.

its raining, torrentially.

i hate to think how this is hampering search and rescue efforts.

yesterday on the wayhome from work my daughter and i counted over 150 american flags.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time last night, on my way home from work, I drove past the Pentagon. As it was evening, there were bright lamps shining upon it, and the acrid smell of burnt metal.

However shocking it looks on television, the real sight is quite a bit worse. Perhaps the worst thing is the jarring contrast of the smooth, honey-coloured restrained neo-classical facades interrupted by darkened, scorched windows and a gaping, jagged black gash in the middle. I should probvably mention for those unfamiliar with Washington that the major north-south artery, Interstate 395, passes immediately beside the Pentagon. Approaching from the south one sees not only the impact point, but the incongrous scenes of the Washington monuent and the Capitol dome illuminated serenely in the night.

The fires were burning again in the close, humid air, and a haze hung close the ground and along the river.

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a service at St Paul's Cathedral (London) this lunchtime which the Queen, Tony Blair, the American Ambassador, and other notables, including representatives from Jewish, Muslim and Buddhist faiths, attended. It was led by the Archbishop of Canterbury and began with the singing of the Star Spangled Banner. A 17 year old American girl lit a special candle to remember the victims before the service got properly under way.

I watched it on television and found it beautiful and moving. It ended with the British national anthem and the Queen emerging to meet and talk to some Americans in the crowd outside. The area outside was packed with a quiet and respectful crowd.

The eleven o'clock silence has been marked throughout Britain in shopping centres and city squares alike as well as people's homes and offices. Many people in Britain and Ireland have friends and family on the other side of the water and even those who don't are still moved by this.

I hope those of you on the other side of the Atlantic will be able to see something of the St Paul's service on your television news later on.

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone wishes to access the BBC programmes online, radio and television selections are available online: BBC News Online. Real Audio format.

Those wishing to check US reports may wish to try Fox News. The site has been accessible on Friday, more so than some others (...well, at least until we all flood it), and has regular updates.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not much I can add right now: just that I am very touched by the outpouring of condolences from around the world. People leaving flowers before American Embassies in nearly every country. Periods of silence in many countries. And the thing with the SSB and the changing of the guard was very moving. On behalf of a shell-shocked, mourning country, thank you all!

Alex

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all the countries aroung the world that have expressed their sympathy in such moving ways.

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
For those who lost their lives, for those who are injured, for those who mourn, and for medical and emergency personnel
United Airlines flight 175
United Airlines flight 93
American Airlines flight 11
American Airlines flight 77
World Trade Centre, Manhattan, NY
The Pentagon, Richmond, Virginia.'

Under the circumstances this is a very trivial point, but the Pentagon is in Arlington, Virginia, which is a hundred miles north of Richmond.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to a RealPlayer file of the UK and world's expression of solidarity with the American people: BBC

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
Shipmate
# 207

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say how touched I was to see the film of so many standing in the three minutes of silence, and also by Coot's report of feelings in Australia.

The prayers and support of Shipmates and others in the world are palpable and you have no idea how much they are appreciated. Thank you, thank you.

--------------------
The Hunger Site is back!

Posts: 669 | From: The Place of Knee Deep Leaves | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps inevitable, but disturbing if true. It was reported this morning that the woman detained was American.

--------------------
Andrew Knoll

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also am engaging in atypical behavior. My wife got out a flag that my father-in-law (a wounded Iwo Jima veteran) gave us and I proudly nailed it to the front of my house. I smiled inside as she left the house dressed in red, white and blue. I wept very deeply as I heard them play the Star Spangled Banner at the changing of the guard in England. The fact that England, in defiance of whom the Star-Spangled Banner was written, played it in a quasi-military setting was indescribably moving. But what got me was the soft and uncertain voices singing the words. Who were they? American tourists? Their singing was thin and pathetic from a musical standpoint, but it could not have moved me more.

More personal news: one of the guys I sing with was in the Pentagon when it was hit, but he's fine. The dental practice where my wife works was asked for dental charts of two people who were patient there and died in the plane that hit the Pentagon. These two patients were on the plane and apparently they've found some teeth. Life could not be more grisly.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Todd
Apprentice
# 169

- Posted      Profile for Todd     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merely reading about the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner at the changing of the guard has moved me deeply. And given the history- from the War of 1812- that Jim points out, doing that is a sign of the hope for reconciliation between nations such as has existed between the US and the UK for more than 150 years. I add my voice to the chorus saying, thank you, UK.

--Todd

Posts: 45 | From: Carolina Piedmont, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, play stopped after the ringing of a bell at 11:00 for 3 minutes silence in the croquet tournament I was playing in yesterday. It seems somewhat trivial to be playing croquet when so many are sufferring, but cancelling the event would not have helped the people of the USA. Silence was observed at British railway stations too. I think people in Britain are shocked and appalled. The service at St Paul's cathedral was moving. Leaders of the Islamic community in Britain have expressed shock and condolence, and I think we should explore closer relations with them at this time.

Pt

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, witnessing the hugely attended services at Washington Cathedral and at St Paul's makes me really teary, especially seeing as the media have tended to choose the bits where they sing the Star Spangled Banner...

As for the words, I think only my own national anthem beats them for bad sentiment (the second or third verse of Australians all let Us Rejoice has racist remarks apparently, just as the 1st verse of SSB talks of bombs, and the whole song is of victory in war). But the tune is really catchy. Doh! Now I'll go to bed singing it!

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a way, the tune just came back to its original home. It was written in the late eighteenth century as the song of the Anacreontic Society, a popular gentlemen's club in London.

link

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ptarmigan
Shipmate
# 138

- Posted      Profile for ptarmigan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the start of the Last Night of the Proms on TV. The Proms is a huge London based festival of classical music over a period of weeks, and the Last Night is normally an orgy of British nationalism, finishing with a singalong of songs such as Rule Brittania and Land of Hope and Glory.

In view of recent events in US, the singalong has been dropped and the concert opened with the national anthems of USA and Britain. Incdentally the conductor of the BBC symphony orchestra now is an American, Leonard Slatken.

Pt

--------------------
All shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be well. (Julian of Norwich)

Posts: 1080 | From: UK - Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please accept my apologies for the extreme tardiness of this posting, but I have been out of the country.

I just wish to add my voice to the many tens of millions worldwide who have expressed their shock, outrage and grief at the barbarity of this act. Others have expressed my thoughts more eloquently already here.

Apologies for a "me-too" post.

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
# 32

No apologizes necessary. We won't get tired of these messages, believe me.

--------------------
Andrew Knoll

JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some photos came to me through the internet, photographer not identified. I trust no one will object if I offer you a peek.

New York Skyline Picture

Rubble Picture

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016