homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: My dignity does not allow me to stand this situation (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: My dignity does not allow me to stand this situation
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
No - you're quite correct. I was being subtly ironic ( [Roll Eyes] though actually it's the title of an obscure New Zeland play about two gay guys who adopt a child).

I knew it sounded familiar, I saw that play at Downstage years ago - by Joe Musaphia (sp) and starring him and ?Ray Henward.

But, knowing less than nothing about chess I thought Pawn to Queen 2 was a winning move [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

Correct. I have the script somewhere but I've misplaced it during the cataloging process.

Dinna fret, Kelly or Huia, I know nothing about chess. I used to know a little about New Zealand drama! There's a line in it somewhere that explains the impossibility of the move.

[ 01. October 2006, 07:30: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:
Mr Kramnik "takes his most significant decisions in a toilet"
Let's see ... who does that remind me of on the Ship.
You ought to hear my wife on this subject .....

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I think you'll find that everything is my fault. The fact that very few of you can manage to notice that anything is my fault mostly just demonstrates how blithely oblivious to reality you are.

Of course it's your fault. You rule all things, except those which Erin rules.

(Increases Rook's hourly dose of dark chocolate, to make him more mellow.)

PS--If you want to play with chess and reality, read "The Eight", by Katherine Neville. Exquisitely crafted novel, but very haunting. Chess players will love it. I don't play, but I know just enough to be aware of some of the deeper layers of what was going on.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Kafka write something about chess, too?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Main drag

Now I'm a real chess geek! Two different things may be going on.

1. Kramnic may gain advantage by promoting worry that somehow he has a hidden edge (access to powerful computer in "loo"). So he behaves to persuade Topalev that he is indeed cheating, or worse, threatening to cheat!

2. Topalev may believe Kramnic's behaviour is innocent, but seeking to gain advantage for himself, he over-reacts, thereby distracting Kramnic & team. This works well if the truth is simply that Kramnic is nervous/has an enlarged prostate etc.

3. But now this sideshow game is engaged! And now each may gain advantage by playing up to the other's assumed playing up! Wheels within wheels. (You dont have to be paranoid, but it helps ...)

This seems to be meat and drink to these events - there was a lot of it in Fischer-Spassky - but not just in the modern era. Here is a famous story about grandmaster Nimzowitsch.
quote:
During a tournament one day, Latvian chess master Aron Nimzowitsch complained that his opponent had laid an unlit cigar on the table beside the board. The director pointed out that the man was not in fact smoking. “Yes,” replied Nimzowitsch, “but he is threatening to smoke, and any fool knows that the threat is more powerful than the execution!”.
(I think he was playing the brilliant Lasker, who played the man probably better than any other chessplayer in history).

And there should be a "geek" smilie ... How about g [Eek!] ?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, Kramnic is not pretending. He has a powerful computer hidden in his potty.

I have now uncovered secret papers where RooK and Kramnic were seen together on the beach at Yalta shortly before Kramnic began playing this tournament. My intelligence agents tell me that they were seen carrying a large toilet out of the Hotel Oreanda at 20:54 hours GMT on Friday, September 22, 2006. An enlarged photo of the toilet in question clearly shows that the flush lever is not only connected to the ball cock, it is connected to a tiny, but perceptible, blue tooth transceiver.

After hours of analysis of satellite interceptions of blue tooth transmissions in the Kalmykia region over the past week I can say, with great confidence, that Kramnic is flushing out morse code messages to RooK. Kramnic's Morse Code is pretty bad, and his English is worse. RooK, however, seems to have done well at his Russian language course at the CSIS.

Most of the transmissions are pretty basic, probably because of Kramnic's limited grasp of code. RooK gives Kramnic instruction on brilliant, daring, moves that are above Kramnic's usual pedestrian grasp of the game. Occasionally, though, RooK has threatened Kramnic with impalement via a rusty farm implement. These threats appear to be connected to times when Kramnic is not following direction well enough, or when he mucks up his code.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Here is a famous story about grandmaster Nimzowitsch:

quote:
During a tournament one day, Latvian chess master Aron Nimzowitsch complained that his opponent had laid an unlit cigar on the table beside the board. The director pointed out that the man was not in fact smoking. “Yes,” replied Nimzowitsch, “but he is threatening to smoke, and any fool knows that the threat is more powerful than the execution!”.

Yep. Never under-estimate the power of the threat. This is why in a five-minute game, announcing "Plan" before executing a three-move cheapo is good psychology as well as courtesy.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, regarding my ultimate fault for, well, everything - that's just me being consistent. Unlike the rest of you simpering neurotics. I read your posts, and I see how it's all about you, for pretty much all of you. Except for when anything goes wrong. See that just makes you moral cowards. At least when I insist that it's all about me I actually follow through and accept the logical conclusion: it's all my fault.

Now shut the hell up, and test your individual flammabilities with blow torches.

Tortuf, you damned board-hagfish, why don't you just come clean with your machinations? Do you think people don't see how you are connecting Kramnik with Luther, and that like Luther Kramnik is communing directly with god while straining on the toilet? And, by crude proxy, suggesting that the entirety of christianity is really nothing more than some allegory for a chess game? You twisted bastard.

Perhaps you thought that I'd just sit idly by while you did this, because you know I don't give a damn about god. But it's not what you're saying that goads me, it's how you're villainously going about it. It's just wrong. And it pisses me off even more because I know that you know it's wrong. And you just sit there, waxing your mustache, while contemplating which orphanage to foreclose on next.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tortuf has a moustache?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, of course he does.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, of course he does.

what a dream avatar!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a dream avatar for a lawyer!
Any lawyer!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First of all, regarding my ultimate fault for, well, everything - that's just me being consistent. Unlike the rest of you simpering neurotics. I read your posts, and I see how it's all about you, for pretty much all of you. Except for when anything goes wrong. See that just makes you moral cowards. At least when I insist that it's all about me I actually follow through and accept the logical conclusion: it's all my fault.

But given that you have admitted everything is your fault, then the rest of us are blameless when things go wrong. It's logically consistant.

By the way, it's a bitch hammering the third nail in by yourself.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
By the way, it's a bitch hammering the third nail in by yourself.

Exactly. Which makes it difficult to sacrifice yourself without the help of others. Would an individual pounding himself to a crucifix, far removed from a public arena, have the same effect?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a Savior crucifies Himself alone in a forest, does anyone actually hear the Substitutionary Atonement?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not till they check their credit card balance.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aah the sacrifice, RooK's master plan .
Sacrifice your way to success.

I had always just assumed, he'd be sacrificing fluffy bunnies, not himself.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Whoa there, Denizens. Just because I admit that it's my fault in no way means that I'm meaning to subject myself to any sort of punitive measures. Atonement be damned, substitutionary or otherwise. (Pardon the irony.)
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tortuf, you damned board-hagfish, why don't you just come clean with your machinations? Do you think people don't see how you are connecting Kramnik with Luther, [....]

RooK, surely you aren't accusing Tortuf of being a Lutheran (closeted or otherwise)? I suspect that in Nashville, being a Lutheran could get a lawyer in a whole heap o' trouble, if you know what I mean.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have you know that I once evicted "We are the Magic of Toys" from their premises on December 23. Of course I have a waxed mustache that I twirl. That is standard equipment for a lawyer.

RooK, I am pleased and proud for you that you are accepting responsibility for everything that goes wrong. Because, as we all know, it is your fault.

I have not planned to insinuate the notion that the game of Christianity is nothing more than an allegory for chess. Au contraire, mon ami.

Gemeinschaft is but a faint analogy for Christianity and Gesellschaft is an apt analogy for playing chess.

Had you not been distracted by the bright, shiny, object passing by you when you took your philosophy class (Yes, I do know your grades in that class. Tch. Tch.) you would not have been trapped by the Cum Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

The only Luther I know is Luther Vandross.

I have no knowledge of any German priests.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Ahh, sophistry. Can you deny knowing Lex Luthor, the nemesis of all that is good?

And I quote,
'In these early stories, Luthor comes across as a chess master -- sacrificing some pawns and losing some moves, but confident of his overall strategy.'

'Earlier, I described Luthor as a chess master. Make that a Seriously Twisted Chess Master (tm).'

I put it to you that you are suggesting RooK, with or without stigmata, is actually Lex Luthor.

Actually, reading his religious affiliation and goals here, I'm inclined to agree.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf
..you would not have been trapped by the Cum Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy.

I always heard that as post hoc, propter hoc.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Cum Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc is before Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.

What I want to know is where the snarling watchdog of nihilist agnosticism has gone.

RooK, are you hiding there in the back corner, letting your pawns take the heat for you?

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
What I want to know is where the snarling watchdog of nihilist agnosticism has gone.

RooK, are you hiding there in the back corner, letting your pawns take the heat for you?

Isn't that what pawns are for?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

No. They are tasty little snacks steamed in beer and eaten with horseradish laden cocktail sauce.

Or is that prawns?

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Heat? What heat? Of course your disgusting machinations can't be proven - weaselling around with the unprovable is how you've avoided being banned, how you trained to be a lawyer, and how you qualified as a board admin.

However, something not being provable and it not being true are hardly equivalent, otherwise this whole board would vanish in a wisp of stale trolling irony.

So answer us this: When did you stop torturing kittens? Was it before you were beating your wife, or during? Perhaps you should visit the toilet before responding - to give you time to flush the evidence.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

I have no need to flush the evidence. Those e mails and chat sessions admitting to torturing kitten and beating my wife were written by someone who must have snuck onto my computer. Yes, that's it. There was someone who snuck onto my computer and made up those vile allegations while sending out messages under my name.

Now, let me be while I plan out how I'm going to evict that widow this morning in court.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all don't hyperventilate. So long as he never flirted smuttily with same-sex teen pages via the 'Net, he's home free.
Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Y'all don't hyperventilate. So long as he never flirted smuttily with same-sex teen pages via the 'Net, he's home free.

Way to ruin a perfectly innocent e-dual by interjecting your typically-retarded political regurgitations, Janine. Clearly, you mean that "so long as he never flirted smuttily with teen pages via the 'Net for years, with the knowledge of his party and peers, he won't feel compelled by irony to forfeit his job of protecting teens from online sexual predators once the public finds out". I can hardly wait to see what you and your ilk are instructed to regurgitate next.

Maybe, just maybe, you could do it on a more appropriate thread though, you contemptible sow.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whoa there, Denizens. Just because I admit that it's my fault in no way means that I'm meaning to subject myself to any sort of punitive measures. Atonement be damned, substitutionary or otherwise. (Pardon the irony.)

At least he's thought about it. *rubs hands*

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is an e-dual twice as good as an e-mono?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

You can tell I love letting pedants make themselves look like dickheads by the way I intentionally include minor errors as bait in everything I post. Once again: all my fault.
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tortuf, may I take this opportunity to say that the sign board outside your church this week is incredibly stupid? "Aspire to Inspire before you Expire."

I mean really. [Projectile]

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 e6 7. f4 Qb6!?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Tortuf, may I take this opportunity to say that the sign board outside your church this week is incredibly stupid? "Aspire to Inspire before you Expire."

I mean really. [Projectile]

Being a lawyer, no doubt he purloined that briiliant saying from another church.
Maybe one in Canada.
Or maybe one where Sine lives.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

quote:
You can tell I love letting pedants make themselves look like dickheads by the way I intentionally include minor errors as bait in everything I post. Once again: all my fault.

Ummm - RooK?
Isn't intentionally including minor errors as bait in everything they post the normal daily behaviour of certain mythical creatures who live under bridges and have unsavory relationships with goats?

--------------------

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crackers & Goat Cheese:
Or maybe one where Sine lives.

I think not. Episcopalians don't do inspirational messages on their signs. We don't even really like to tell people what times the services are. Strangers might show up and sit in your pew or something.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn it People....I Can't Get This Song Out of My Head Now

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016