homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn put on her earmuffs before voting. Cosenza Beach, or even Maine, was rather close to the Ozarks, and she didn't want to be deafened by Mrs. Cuppy's "Argh." She wondered which of the two lovely ladies left in Cosenza Beach Leonato had thought was the fellow remaining citizen. He had been unexpectedly helpful the previous day; she was quite grateful. She brushed some red glitter off her right sleeve where the gun's backfire had tossed it and entered the voting booth.

I vote for Leonato.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that a faint chuckle that can be heard from the Rugmaker as he hears of CuppaT's belief in his innocence as he too votes for

Leonato

?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All alone at the top of page 11, the two 'Ndrinu paused in memory for a moment in front of the shiny new memorial plaque on the wall at the cooking school:

"Ezio Basso, our colleague.
Fallen but not forgotten."

Then they sat down to write a letter to the editor (if the newspaper staff could be lured back to town) thanking the Little Red Devil, Basso their fallen colleague, the Mafia who had helped decimate the citizens, the Detective who had made life scary, the Watchman who had lent uncertainty to their nightly activities, the Citizens who had fought back so valiantly, their friends, family, relations, best friend's wife's cat, and The Academy, for an excellent game.

Rugmaker signed his name with a flourish; Autumn signed her name with a snitched red glitter pen:

"Doña Autumn Wreath Road della 'Ndrinu"

[ 20. November 2006, 20:42: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have the 'Ndrinu won then??? Oh no ... [Frown]

Btw, sorry, Banner Lady!!! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

We have, since we now outnumber the hapless remaining citizen CuppaT. (Mrs. Cuppy's 13 children are not yet of voting age.) However I have adopted your cat and despite my nefarious nighttime activities I'm quite kind to animals, so she is safe with me.

Actually Teufelchen told us we had won once we equaled the citizens (2 & 2), but I wanted to see what CuppaT and Leonato would make of Rugmaker's and my final nominations.

Some questions:

Teufelchen, did we-all extract all the meaning there was to be found in your Shakespeare quotes?

Izzybee, was that really a dying message, and if so who were you meaning to implicate?

[ 20. November 2006, 21:08: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aaaaarrrrggggggh!

I really never did suspect Ruggy because he seemed to think the way I did without being too overt, but I did indeed suspect AR who got friendly too fast. I was not sure about her at the end, though, since she did not seem to make up her mind either. It shows that you should really trust no one. I did nominate her earlier.

For what it's worth, I had Izzy pegged correctly somewhere along the line. Linguo, what did you do? Were you able to prevent any deaths?

Were the rest of you Citizens, Mafia and threadwatchers reading this to the bitter end? Did you guess correctly?

Good game. Congratulations to the winners.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Noooo not again!

You innocent folk took too long to nominate me thinks, not even an absention could ahve helped then surely?

Well done to all for a good, if not very long, game.

leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I knew a successful lynching wasn't possible.

It turned out there was no way of deciding for certain which of Rugmaker or CuppaT was 'Ndrinu. Turns out I was right all along about Rugmaker though, shame the other citizens didn't listen to me! Nice touch nominating each other near the end. But it's time for my death scene (at last!)...

Leonato makes one last desperate attempt to flee the horrors of Cosenza Beach, knowing now that he never should have returned to his home town. Grabbing all that is most dear to him he races in blind panic across the square, but he is not fast enough.

A shot rings out, and as the bullet hits him Leonato falls headlong onto the cobblestones his possessions flying from his grasp in his last great dramatic moment. One book falls open to reveal, in a dramatic irony Leonato would have appreciated if he were alive to see it, Macbeth scene 1 - "Fair is foul and foul is fair". But the word are soon lost as his blood seeps across the stones and over the pages.

He is lucky in a way. He will not have to live in a town in permanent fear of its new 'Ndrinu masters with their ruthless and deadly ways...

[ 20. November 2006, 22:52: Message edited by: leonato ]

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

"Ezio Basso, our colleague.
Fallen but not forgotten."

Well, at least I managed to take out one of the enemy gang before they got me ( [Mad] ). All in memory of my suicidal mafiosi family, Dolphy and ChristianJimmy [Axe murder]

[ 21. November 2006, 05:36: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem. Dorothy DID in fact vote for Rugmaker more than once. Just not convincingly enough to make anyone else agree. However I was truly amazed I lived as long as I did in Cosenza Beach. Possibly a reward for extreme ineptitude (although I prefer to think it may have been the entertainment value 'Dorothy' provided.) Now, shall we all post about what we thought was frustrating about this game and how the format could be fine-tuned before it is ever attempted again?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can have a couple of days for post-match analysis, and then this thread will be closed

Papa Smurf
Circus Host

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having a Jekyll and Hyde moment this morning Wet Kipp... I mean, Papa Sm... er, Wet Kipper?? [Biased]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roger awakes with a broad smile on his face. The town now belongs to him and his esteemed colleague, Autumn.

There are going to be changes around here, big changes. It will now be compulsory for every household to cover all its floors wiht rugs - carpets,lino, funny grassy stuff- they're all banned. And of course, there is only one rug shop in town.

He joins with Autumn in saluting poor fallen, brave Basso, who gave so much to bring this day about.

Great game guys, many thanks to T for running it so beautifully.

I remain intrigued by the suicides - were they triggered by something in the game or were they genuine withdrawals?

I agree that citizens did not help themselves by being slow to nominate towards the end. AR and I were helped by being in different timezones and so being abale to monitor the game for most, though not all, of the time.

--------------------

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for adopting the cat, Autenrieth!
And thanks, Teufelchen, for compering such a good game - [Axe murder]

I did keep on reading the thread, but less often and less diligently, hence my confusion about how many Mafia were still alive.

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
You can have a couple of days for post-match analysis, and then this thread will be closed.

Agreed. My deep thanks to everyone who's played, and to the Circus hosts for their patience with this game. I'll post a few behind-the-scenes details later today, along with a complete hit list of who killed whom.

I think it'll be quite a while before my nerves can stand running another game of Mafia, but I'm thrilled that people have enjoyed it so much.

And so, for now, peace descends on the mean streets of New Jersey. Our protagonists' cousins in Massachusetts and South Tirol have yet to be troubled. Long may they sleep easy, citizens...

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Teufelchen, did we-all extract all the meaning there was to be found in your Shakespeare quotes?

Not quite. The intended meaning was this:

"Two households, each alike in dignity" and not "liars and swearers enough to beat the honest men and hang them".

The intended implication was that both gangs were the same size, but that they were collectively outnumbered by the citizens.

No-one seemed to get the '&!' for 'and not', and no-one got both the quotes right at the same time. Gumby was nearest with the Macbeth quote 'Who must hang them? Why, the honest men.'

T.

--------------------
Little devil

christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great game all, congrats to the Ndrinu types for their win, at least the townfolk didnt win!

Sorry that this mafioso had to commit suicide - I realised that I would be unable to carry on the game as I wouldnt have internet access for a few weeks, and then only sporadically, so I took myself out of the game. My bad for not realising sooner.

(Still, I guess it confused a lot of people with Dolphy and then myself taking ourselves out of the game, and whose to say that didnt make it just that little bit more entertaining!?!)

Thanks T. for running it, much appreciated.

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You can have a couple of days for post-match analysis, and then this thread will be closed

Papa Smurf
Circus Host

err, oops [Hot and Hormonal]

I meant
Wet Kipper
Circus Host

carry on !

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Now, shall we all post about what we thought was frustrating about this game and how the format could be fine-tuned before it is ever attempted again?

I'm all ears, people.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

From a personal point of view, I would like weekends to be taken into account in time limits for voting etc. Not necessarily a time freeze as such, but maybe an extension as appropriate eg, Any set period for an action which would otherwise include part of a weekend automatically extends to Monday night?

I realise that this may slow the game a little, but perhaps strict time limits could be enforced on night actions as a countermeasure - if the mafia don't nominate in time, they miss out on a victim. This would also make life a bit fairer for citizens who lose their votes if they don't use them in time.

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Rugmaker:
From a personal point of view, I would like weekends to be taken into account in time limits for voting etc. Not necessarily a time freeze as such, but maybe an extension as appropriate eg, Any set period for an action which would otherwise include part of a weekend automatically extends to Monday night?

I'll be posting a suggested rule set towards the end of this thread, so the result of this discussion can probably be included in there. I've been a bit concerned about weekends, so this suggestion is a welcome one. I'm not sure defence needs to last 24 hours if nominations have already lasted all weekend. How about this:

"If it is night, the defence phase, or the voting phase at midnight on Friday, the next phase will not start until the Moderator's first post on Monday. If it is the nomination phase at midnight on Friday, nominations will remain open until three have been made, and defence will then last until the Moderator's first post on Monday."

quote:
I realise that this may slow the game a little, but perhaps strict time limits could be enforced on night actions as a countermeasure - if the mafia don't nominate in time, they miss out on a victim. This would also make life a bit fairer for citizens who lose their votes if they don't use them in time.
I agree. I was loath to use this rule this time in case it further confused people about how many gangsters were active. In future games, it would definitely be workable. Night, like nomination and defence, should last 24 hours at most.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

When I said Monday night I had in mind (a) people with little or no net access at weekends and (b) people in time zones behind the moderator! Effectively what needs to be achieved is time for people who only have net access at work to get in and do what they need to do on Monday morning.

If the moderator is in the UK and posts even as late as noon on Monday, that is still 7am EST and 4am on the West Coast of the US (I think!).

So I suppose the cut off time needs to be 11am west coast time (PST?) which would be 7pm GMT on Monday. Unless there any shipmates in Hawaii, Fiji etc to be considered!

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

Rugmaker, you've got a point. Would it work if the proposed rule said 'Tuesday' wherever it now says 'Monday'?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

Yes, I think that works.

Worst reasonable case in an Aussie moderator posting at 8am local time on Tuesday, which I think would still be no earlier than 1pm PST on Monday, which is fine.

Of course, in most cases the game can move on anyway if enough people have voted/been nominated etc.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

My disappointment was with votings not turning into lynchings.

My suggestion would be to take the majority from those who actually vote within the 24 hours, not those who are eligible to vote.

for example, if there are 19 players, then 10 votes would be enough for an absolute majority. If 4 people abstain, this should reduce the majority level to 8.

It is also hampered by having 3 nominations. Again using the 19 player example, the rules would state that a majority of 10 is needed for a lynching. but chances are (unless everyone piles on someone) the votes will be split, with people probably getting 5-6 votes each, depending on abstentions.

would it be too bloodthirsty/unfair, to go the whole hog and just say that whoever has the most votes by the end of the period gets lynched anyway (except in times of a tie) ?

[ 21. November 2006, 11:05: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
No-one seemed to get the '&!' for 'and not', and no-one got both the quotes right at the same time. Gumby was nearest with the Macbeth quote 'Who must hang them? Why, the honest men.'

As it happens, the exclamation mark was something that I realised I'd missed, but by the time I got to the PC to mention it, I'd been bumped off. I don't suppose that sounds very convincing after all this time, does it? I thought about sticking something about it in my death scene, but decided to leave it in the end, as we'd been told more or less what was going on by then.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

quote:
My disappointment was with votings not turning into lynchings.

My suggestion would be to take the majority from those who actually vote within the 24 hours, not those who are eligible to vote.

for example, if there are 19 players, then 10 votes would be enough for an absolute majority. If 4 people abstain, this should reduce the majority level to 8.

It is also hampered by having 3 nominations. Again using the 19 player example, the rules would state that a majority of 10 is needed for a lynching. but chances are (unless everyone piles on someone) the votes will be split, with people probably getting 5-6 votes each, depending on abstentions.

would it be too bloodthirsty/unfair, to go the whole hog and just say that whoever has the most votes by the end of the period gets lynched anyway (except in times of a tie) ?

I agree. It would help give the citizens a bit more of a chance. Having now played the game from both sides, it does seem to me to be weighted towards the bad guys somewhat - they are guaranteed to kill someone every night and they know mist of what's going on.

It would also stop the strategy of disrupting a vote by not voting, particularly in the latter stages. If there are 4 players left, 2 mafia, 2 not, and both mafiosi are nominated, one of them is then likely to go whatever happens!

I think there should always be 3 nominations allowed though - any less makes it easy for the bad guys to quickly nominate others and avoid getting lynched themselves. The game should never hinge too much on who is online at the right moment and posts first, though inevtiably there will always be some element of this.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very well played, 'Ndrangheta [Overused] .

I think it's a harder game for the citizens having two gangs - not just because there are more murders (most of which will be citizens), but also because there is much less disparity of interest between innocent and guilty voters. Both sets of criminals have goals that substantially overlap with the townsfolk (basically, everyone has an interest in lynching people they don't know about). Looking back over the thread and identifying voting patterns is hard enough even when you know who's guilty.

I'm surprised and impressed that Autenreith Road got aware with such blatent stirring an manipulation for so long. I was always a little suspicious of her (I remember last year's Cluedo, too, AR) especially since she voted for nem on turn 1. And then she changed her position on voting for Banner Lady and then Rugmaker without any cogent explanation. But she played it so confidently I'm not sure when I'd've called her on it if I'd still been in the game. I started off by voicing what seemed at the time to be a more certain analysis:

quote:
Papa Smurf is probably not a 'Ndrinu, Watchman or Mason ... he's probably not a Mafioso, either.
[and]
I think there's likely to be a higher proportion of Mafiosi amongst the 5 people who didn't vote (AnnaF, basso, dolphy, Linguo, Papa Smurf) than the 17 who did. I'm not saying they are all guilty, not by any means, not even that most of them are, but I have a shrewd feeling that they'll be one or two of the Mafia in that group.

..which I observe with some satisfaction was spot on. And, of course, I never got a chance to say anything else.

In the end game (that is, after the Mafia were wiped out), I was pretty sure of Banner Lady (because her unopposed nomination suggested the mobs were happy, as Wet Kipper pointed out) and Leonato (because he identified Basso), and had a hunch about Lamb Chopped (the undead thing seemed unlikely for a gangster trying to lie low). I hadn't decided between CuppaT and Rugmaker. I was never absolutely sure that AR was ‘Ndrinu, but I thought she was the most likely.

I'm still unsure whether it was the right decision to ‘out' the Masons on turn 1. I'd hoped we could use a powerful block-vote of 4 innocents, but with 2 dead on the first night, that couldn't happen. I hoped that at least one known Mason would survive (some help from the Watchman would have been appreciated here!) and that the Detective could then feed information through nem or I without compromising his or her identity. But if anyone picked up that particular ball, their subtlety was lost on me.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

What Really Happened in Cosenza Beach

To recap: the Mafiosi were Chelley, christianjimmy and dolphy; the 'Ndrangheta were Autenrieth Road, basso and Rugmaker; the Masons were Eliab, Fool of a Took, nem and The Great Gumby; Izzybee was the Detective; and Linguo was the Watchman.

On the first night, the 'Ndrini went after Fool of a Took, and the Mafiosi went after Dr Gumby. Purely by coincidence, both victims were Masons. This led to the lynching of Sir Kevin. (I was sorry about that. The poor guy made two very early exits in the two games played.) It also precipitated the first role-claim of the game, with Eliab and nem identified as Masons. The lynching unnerved comet, the fortune-teller, who left town that night.

I think each gang must have suspected that the other was behind the role-claiming, because all six gangsters went straight round to Eliab's boat after nightfall. I can't now remember which faction I formally awarded the kill to, but Eliab's death scene, quite unprovoked, contained the suggestion that two people had acted independently. Meanwhile, both the detective and the watchman were staking out nem's place, where all was quiet.

The folliwng day saw the first, and loneliest, attempt to lynch Banner Lady. Dolphy decided to drop out, and suggested a public suicide as a good way of doing so while keeping the players guessing. (This is consistent with the RL rule that, if you drop your card, you're deemed to have committed suicide.) With admirable consistency, the Detective and the Watchman both went round to her place that evening to see if either gang would make good on the apparent threat. The 'Ndrini, in fact, did away with AnnaF, while the Mafiosi saw to Stevie Boy Wonder. Izzybee dropped by Banner Lady's place, and assured herself of her innocence.

Banner Lady escaped lynching again the next day, as did leonato and Wet Kipper. Christianjimmy suggested to me that he might drop out too, and before the devil on his shoulder could persuade him that he could just lie low instead, he too had ended it all. That night, lone gunman Chelley went and offed basso. (I have no idea whether she knew he was 'Ndrinu or not.) Everyone else went round to Wet Kipper's place ... except for the Watchman, who was busily protecting that upstanding citizen, er, Chelley.

Zorro was lynched the following day, despite the continued attempts of surviving Mason nem to hang Banner Lady. The following night, Izzybee followed Autenrieth Road and determined her status as a gangster. Unfortunately, she was caught in the act, which is why she was prevented from giving a more explicit clue to her murderer's identity. The Mafiosi, meanwhile, picked off Pure Sunshine. The morning after, the 'Ndrini nominated Watchman Linguo to be lynched, and got away with it, which probably made all the difference in the endgame.

That night, the 'Nrdini continued their reign of terror by disposing of the surviving Mafiosa, who had herself just whacked Smudgie. Lamb Chopped's lynching followed rapidly, and then the 'Ndrini adopted a policy of assassinating known innocents. Nem was the first to go, and after deliberately splitting the vote, they followed up with Banner Lady. A second split vote secured the mastery of the town for the 'Ndrangheta, and Doña Autenrieth's fiendish property development plan...

--------------------
Little devil

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Incidentally, I think Teufelchen could have called the game one round sooner. It was theoretically possible (if the 'Ndrangheta had screwed up) to have one of them lynched when it was 2 vs. 2, but even so, one of the surviving citizens would have died that night, leaving the teams 1 vs. 1, with no lynching possible, and a ‘Ndrinu as the last man standing next day.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
Incidentally, I think Teufelchen could have called the game one round sooner. It was theoretically possible (if the 'Ndrangheta had screwed up) to have one of them lynched when it was 2 vs. 2, but even so, one of the surviving citizens would have died that night, leaving the teams 1 vs. 1, with no lynching possible, and a ‘Ndrinu as the last man standing next day.

Not so: the previous day, five people - Autenrieth Road, Banner Lady, CuppaT, leonato and Rugmaker - were alive, and only two were mobsters. Three nominations were allowed, so a Citizen could have nominated a mobster, and all three Citizens voted to lynch that person. There would then have been three citizens and one gangster that night, and thus two citizens and a gangster in the morning. With two nominations allowed, the citizens could still have nominated and lynched the final 'Ndrinu.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arghhh!

Do you all know how hard it is to butt out of something once you're "dead", when you know who one of the gangsters is?!

I found out about Autenrieth Road the same night I died. Teufelchen was nice enough to let me post a vague hint in my death scene, but at the same time I didn't want to give the game totally away.

Great game - I had fun. Thanks Teufelchen, and everyone else who played.

ETA: Autenrieth, you did so well - once I knew it was you, I saw just exactly how well you were bending the game. Kudos to you!

[ 21. November 2006, 11:57: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:
What Really Happened in Cosenza Beach

...That night, lone gunman Chelley went and offed basso. (I have no idea whether she knew he was 'Ndrinu or not.)

Well, I didn't know but I was highly suspicious (gut feeling maybe?) so was rather chuffed with myself to have got one of them, even though taking out the barman totally wrecked my party plans! (Thought that might be a helpful cover anyway).

quote:
Everyone else went round to Wet Kipper's place ... except for the Watchman, who was busily protecting that upstanding citizen, er, Chelley.

That was very nice of linguo... thanks [Biased]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

Thinking about varying the voting rules...how about this:

"If more than half (rounded up) of the eligible voters either fail to vote within the alloted time, or formally abstain, no-one is lynched. If two nominees tie for the largest number of votes at the end of the voting period, no-one is lynched. Otherwise, the nominee with the largest number of votes is lynched."

What do players think?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

How is that different to what happens already? (Sorry, I have my dunce's hat at the ready!!)

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

The current voting rule is effectively:

"Anyone who is voted for by more than half the eligible voters is lynched. Anyone who is voted for by exactly half the eligible voters is lynched unless the other half either all vote for the same other candidate, or all abstain. Otherwise, no-one is lynched."

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

Sounds good to me. Should increase the chance of a lynching without letting a bizarre result happen because of a very low turnout for some reason.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Where'd I put that hat then? [Disappointed]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I actually like the majority wins voting rules the way they are. The impetus is on us all to rally forces and participate. If someone is silent on purpose, then we can read meaning into that. If people are let off the hook from voting, then many could play at their convenience and walk in and out of game play. Let's face it; those of us who played, for as long as we were in the game, kept up with it quite regularly.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I picked up on the &!, but never quite worked out which the proper pairs of quotes were; and I didn't want to say anything because one interpretation implied too much about the Mafia and 'Ndrinu, which I didn't want to draw any attention to.

Izzybee, your death scene completely terrified me! Guilty conscience had me convinced it was pointing to me; then I did so much obfuscating & arguing the other way to protect myself that I just about convinced myself it was not a message at all.

Lamb Chopped's death scene: [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] .

Eliab, I was terrified of your logic and was determined to assassinate you very quickly! I was convinced by the logic of it that you and nem were truthfully Masons, (the Bad Guys can't sensibly claim to be another actual Role, because that tips that Role off that they're lying Bad Guys), and after voting for nem was then waiting for an appropriate point to put in my "arrgh" comment pretending to have only just realized that point.

I kept on getting confused in the first vote and thinking it was Sir Kevin, Eliab, and nem nominated rather than the actual Sir Kevin, Zorro and nem (because I was thinking so much about the Masons) -- I regret that because after I'd "argghed" and "realized" nem had to be a Mason, I should have pointed a finger at Zorro, because I wanted Sir Kevin to get a chance to play longer in this round.

I became convinced Banner Lady was innocent because of Izzybee's comment about her innocence, (in fact that triggered Izzybee's assassination, because it pegged Izzybee as the Detective), but it was convenient to be able to raise questions about that, which CuppaT then picked up.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I'm surprised and impressed that Autenreith Road got aware with such blatent stirring an manipulation for so long.

Blatant? Blatant? I prefer to call it living your cover as an innocent citizen trying very hard to find the bad guys [Big Grin] [Biased] .

quote:
I was always a little suspicious of her (I remember last year's Cluedo, too, AR) especially since she voted for nem on turn 1. And then she changed her position on voting for Banner Lady and then Rugmaker without any cogent explanation.
Although Smudgie also voted for Banner Lady very quickly at one point without any explanation, which had me quite suspicious of Smudgie all the way until Chelley killed her. Curiously enough, almost everyone changed their position on Banner Lady between the first and second BL votes!

quote:
But she played it so confidently I'm not sure when I'd've called her on it if I'd still been in the game.
Thanks [Hot and Hormonal] . It's been quite a learning experience playing this role. It had me thinking a lot about Kim Philby and Tim Powers' Declare that we read earlier in the Ship's Book Group, about living your cover. And filtering everything through a mix of truth, with a bit of fibs salted in as necessary to turn attention elsewhere, and then double-thinking it for whether it might raise a theory that could point back at what Rugmaker and I were doing, in which case I had to deep-six it and think of something else to say.

CuppaT mentioned getting friendly too fast; I think I would play similar even if I were a Citizen -- I had a long thought at the beginning about laying low and not attracting attention, vs. thinking the game is more fun if people are participating and role-playing at least even if not theorizing. After Banner Lady posted her "thanking people for making her laugh" comment I decided to be more wide-open in my participation.

[ 21. November 2006, 14:26: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I confess I enjoyed the game not because of the tactics at all (of which I am usually oblivious although I was sure at the end rugmaker was an enemy) but the role-playing. I enjoyed Gumby and Eliab's posts very much, so I was sorry to see them go early. I would have lost interest very quickly after that if AR and Stevie hadn't kept me amused. Lamb Chopped and Basso should get posthumous awards for the best one-liners in the game.

On my wish list for next time is a clockface and a calendar on each page (or in each post of the gamehost) because the global differences in timezones always had me confused. There must be some way to monitor the time better - and perhaps that would help the game to flow faster, even allowing for weekends (which means 3 days of quieter traffic realistically).

Perhaps Papa Kipper could tell us if that is feasible?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
On my wish list for next time is a clockface and a calendar on each page (or in each post of the gamehost) because the global differences in timezones always had me confused. There must be some way to monitor the time better - and perhaps that would help the game to flow faster, even allowing for weekends (which means 3 days of quieter traffic realistically).

Every post already reports, in its header, the time it was posted according to your local time. This was why, in the first game, I abandoned references to my local clock, and simply said that things would happen X hours after the current post. That way, everyone should just be able to count on the appropriate number of hours from the time they see on their own screens, and work out when things would actually happen.

Does that help at all?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to admit that I was completely out to sea the first time I saw this game played, but was following along a lot better this time. Autumn had me totally fooled till near the end with the flaming red glitter hint [Biased] . I suspected dear Dorothy instead (ooops). Well played 'Ndrinu, especially being speedy on the nominating fingers [Biased] .

Teufelchen, could you please explain (or point out where I missed) the suicide pact thing?

Also, were the Masons a group of citizens who knew who each other were? Part of the tension of the game is, of course, the "some of us have information the others of you don't".

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I rest my case that I am not the most observant player. Yes T, that helps a lot. I must have missed where you originally said the bit about the times.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Every post already reports, in its header, the time it was posted according to your local time.

Provided that the user has set their profile to adjust that to show their local time. (You can test if you've got your profile adjusted correctly by checking the time displayed right after you post, and then see if that agrees with your real clock at home.)

--------------------
Truth

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Teufelchen, could you please explain (or point out where I missed) the suicide pact thing?

There never was any pact. It was just that both Mafiosi who wanted to leave the game did so quite dramatically.

quote:
Also, were the Masons a group of citizens who knew who each other were?
Exactly. Rolled-up trouser legs, the works. [Smile]

I'll be posting a truly exhaustive (and exhausting) list of roles tomorrow.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A thoroughly enjoyable game, albeit one I went out of much earlier than I wanted to (but much later than I expected to). With hindsight, I know I was quite overzealous at first, throwing wild accusations about (sorry nem) without thinking them through much, and that probably aroused some suspicion. But towards the end, with the whole Rugmaker/Leonato mutual accusation thing, Leonato's arguments looked so well rounded to me, and Rugmaker's defence of them so leaky, I had to bite my tongue hard not to chip in from beyond the grave, "For crying out loud, Rugmaker's as guilty as [insert clearly guilty criminal mastermind's name here]!"

As for the rules, I didn't really understand them at the start, but I wasn't going to tell any of you that [Big Grin] , I got more of a grip on them as the game went on. I'd agree with the suggestion that the rules should be less strict regarding how many votes are needed and in what circumstances to authorise a lynching, as (although BL may have been bumped off considerably earlier) it would generally have made the game more interesting and less frustrating. The only other thing I'd recommend next time, is having a bit more information about the roles in the game, and what all the different groups of people were. Teufelchen, I can understand you trying to make the game more mysterious by keeping details to a minimum at first, but it did seem to cause a lot of confusion until Papa Kipper/Wet Smurf requested clarification of the set-up. But otherwise, a good game, well played and (as others have already said) made all the more enteraining by the characterisations.

Thanks Teuf for organising, Kipper (and Chorister) for humouring us all the way through what may have been an arduous thread at times, and everyone who played for making it so much fun. Let's do it again sometime...

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided after the second suicide that we were playing under the 'siblings' rule from the Wikipedia article - that each gangster had an unsuspected sibling whose death inspired a suicide on the part of the gangster. Teuf's hints about extra hints prompted a rereading of the article. Wrong, but a great theory...

It also made me prepare a third death scene in case I was called upon to commit suicide. But nobody picked up on the death I actually had to post.

We picked FoaT as our first killing purely at random (we even eliminated Sir K as a candidate because he'd gotten it so quickly in the previous round). Eliab was way too smart to survive - I think the Mafia decided the same thing.

Very enjoyable game, T. Thanks!

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
Let's do it again sometime...

something similar but different may come along soon [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016