homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ezio sighs as yet another party comes into the bar. He goes over to the good-looking woman who had claimed to know how to tend bar, and picks up her drink. "Okay, you're on. Let's see how this works out."
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eliabsson walks into Ezio's bar and orders a scotch.

"I heard about Dr Gumby and Mrs Took" he announces "and I don't know who killed them, but when I find out they are going to pay."

He pauses, looking around the bar and trying to stare each of the townspeople in the eyes, looking for signs of guilt.

"One thing I know. It wasn't nem. nem's a Mason, same as me, same as them, and she was good friends with both of them. I walked her home after the lodge meeting, and then went back to my apartment. The news report said both victims were killed just after midnight, just after they got home, and nem and I were still walking over the other side of town then. No way she could have been there. I'm sure of it."

He waits for that to sink in.

"I don't know about Zorro or Sir Kevin. I'll hear what they have to say. But nem I'm sure of. She's innocent."

He drains his scotch and orders another while the citizens wait for the accused to make their defences.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lambiekins sits up woozily, clutches her head, and crawls out of her coffin. A damn bad idea, she thinks. I waited too long to pick him up. He was already three sheets to the wind--always gives me a hangover at second hand. You think I'd learn.

She stumbles to the bathroom and brushes her fangs.

If only the damn doctor had come through, she thinks. All that lovely blood. I'll have to look him up later.... maybe he'll have a pint to spare. A little sweet talk, maybe.

Lambiekins picks up the paper, already a day old. Reading the headline, her face pales. A bit too late. And now it's starting again, right here. Will even the Undead be safe?

She looks around the cramped apartment for a weapon. No steel, not for me... Is there anything sharp in here that's not iron or silver? Frustrated, she picks up an aluminum frying pan and tucks it under her arm. I'm going to look like such an idiot, carrying this around for self-defense. Wonder where I can find a copper knife?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sir Kevin pokes his head out the window as he combs the seawater from his hair, having just returned from a surfing holiday an hour ago...

'Who, Me?', he shouts,'That's impossible, I was 350 miles away!'

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Luce Pura scuttled along the street, muttering an apology as she almost bumped into the surfer with the wet hair. She wasn't sure who she trusted less - surfers or masons. Subconsciously, she fiddled with her watch.

The Mayor wasn't in his office - perhaps this was something to do with those mysterious murders that had happened recently. "He'll be in next week," said his receptionist brightly.

The receptionist was covertly reading
Private Lives of Extremely Rich People magazine. Luce Pura nodded and made a quick exit.

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm, thought Christianjimmy (deciding that for the remainder of the game he wishes to be knwon as CJ, because typing out his own name is getting tiresome!), That lawyer fellow seems to make a lot of sense. If he and Nem are both masons, and know each other then that makes a pretty darn good alibi. Of course they could both be mafia, and lieing - guess we'll need to wait and see if any other charcters claim to be masons to back them up/reveal the truth.
However on balance CJ decided he trusted the lawyer. Plus he drank scotch. CJ picked up his drink and moved along the bar towards him.
My round he offered, slowly coming to realise that this would be an expensive night in the bar, as more and more people took advantage of his naive generosity So tell me who you think it is, if it wasnt Nem. I'm intrigued by the appointment of Sir Kevin with Dr Gumby before his death. If Sir K was away surfing, who made the appointment? and realistically, (although I cant remember where this town is, I suspect we're in the mediterranean, given as we're near a town called "pesto",) where could you go surfing with any degree of excitement? Im not sure his story hangs together...
When does the lynching start?

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dorothy was pleased to be able to help the overworked bar owner. Being able to serve others meant her day was not a complete waste after all and emptying the bar dishwasher was as natural to her as emptying an autoclave. She was genuinely interested to hear what the bar clientele were talking about. But the snatches of conversation she heard drove home to her how dark life could be in what seemed to be such a bright, happy tourist spot. As the amber liquid flowed smoothly down the side of the glass she tilted expertly uneder the beer tap she became very aware of how many of those at the bar wore black, and she was also increasingly concerned about the welfare of a young woman sliding under the table in one of the corner booths.

"Ezio," she whispered to him while pointing at JJ "that one could cause us trouble!"

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
(although I cant remember where this town is, I suspect we're in the mediterranean, given as we're near a town called "pesto",)

We're in Cosenza Beach, New Jersey. I have no idea what the surfing is like in that part of the world, although 'cold' springs to mind.

Not that that ever stopped surfers in Cornwall.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Voting is now open, and will remain open for 36 hours from the time of this post, or until the vote is over. The vote concludes when a candidate gets either a clear majority or an unopposed half of the available vote; or when neither of these outcomes is possible. You may only vote once, and you do not have to vote for the same person you nominated.

Contrary to the ruling in the 'Rules' thread, you may make posts other than votes. For clarity, however, please put the name of your candidate in Bold to make it noticeable.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That lawyer fellow seems to make a lot of sense.

Thank you, but I'm not a lawyer. I'm a fisherman. I have been told there's a sleazy ambulance-chaser in Pesto City called Eliab, who looks a bit like me, but he's no relation. And I think I heard that he's dead.

Someone asked me privately why I've made public that I'm a Mason, as it might make me a target. Two reasons.

One, is a sincerely belief that the Mafia can go fuck themselves. I'm not hiding from them.

Two, is the rumour that there's two rival gangs. They are going to want to kill each other more than they want the rest of us, because everyone is a possible threat to them by day, but the rivals can kill by night as well. So if they kill a known citizen, they just get a dead citizen. If they kill an unknown, they might get lucky and hit a rival. Which I hope they do, as both factions are best off dead.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Who to vote for?

Sir Kevin, who claims he wasn't here, or Zorro, who admits to being in the Mafia, but says he's left?

I can't say I know for sure which of them is guilty, if either of them is. I don't want to harm an innocent, but if we keep thinking that, we'll all be killed in our beds. So I'm afraid it's Sir Kevin.

Two reasons again. One, I like to think I'm a fair minded man, who's prepared to give folk the benefit of the doubt, and believes that everyone deserves a second chance.

And two, I really hate surfers. Sorry.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JJ wakes up, looks around, and realises she must have fallen asleep in the bar. She stands up too fast, head spinning, and looks around her...

Everything is blurred... she panics and staggers out into the daylight...

Not realising she has left her violin case in the bar, she staggers along the street. Then, she gets a flash back to her dream....

She slows down, tries to focus on a black comb on the street.... then she remembers the man walking out of the sea and rushing up to his house...

She picks the comb up... the seaweed is on it. She knew she recognised him when she was playing her violin...

Sir Kevin yes, it was him..... I saw him getting out of the sea with the gun in his hand.... JJ then walks towards the wall... and tries to understand the graffiti... She thinks to herself, "only Kevin would be this cryptic"... she then sits down and falls asleep..

[ 19. October 2006, 14:02: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn crawls out of the backseat (to put it generously) of her Jag, parked around the corner from the bar.

"Ooooh, er, owww. Too many last night! That new barmaid sure knows how to keep your glass refilled without you noticing... Ouch."

She massages her throbbing temples. Oh right, there's an election today.

"Must vote. Important civic duty."

As someone who would rather sleep in the backseat (so-called) of a sportscar than drive drunk, Autumn is familiar with civic duty. Before she dropped off to sleep, she had flipped coins for her choice. Since it seems there's really no information to go on so far. Now she isn't sure what to think.

Are Eliabbsson and nem both Masons? Then maybe she should vote for Sir Kevin. But what if Sir Kevin is the Detective or Doctor? Surely that's more valuable than a Mason. But maybe he's in a Mafia gang. Or maybe he's just a falsely accused citizen. Or is Eliabbsson artfully setting up a smokescreen to protect fellow Mafia-member nem? He may not be related to that unlucky lawyer in Pesto City, but he's clearly familiar with the case and has presumably studied the tactics of that arch-impersonator Zorro. Hmmm, could Zorro be a Bad Guy a second time in a row?

Autumn staggers down the street to the nearest polling place.

"I give up, I'm just sticking with my initial random choice," she moans to the pollworker. "I vote for nem."

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if Nem was random accusation ( [Eek!] - way to serve justice!!) then I'm gonna let her be, and as it seems that the only reason Zorro is nominated was because of his murky past, then I reckon that Sir Kevin deserves the hangmans noose. (By the process of elimination - it just seems that the others are entirely abitrary, whereas Bannerlady seemed to have some kind of reason for accusing Sir K)
There is some kind of twisted logic in there.

Slurred CJ from his stool at the bar.

And apologies Eliab Mr Fisherman Sir. What a slur to cast at you. But I maintain my position, you talk sense, and unless you're pulling a monumental double bluff I'm gonna stick close to you and your big knife!

And with that he downed his umpteenth drink, and staggered off in search of a toilet

--------------------
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But I'm scared of guns. I would never own one (true). I am a pacifist, just a peace-loving guy - go for the known Mafioso!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, if Nem was random accusation ( [Eek!] - way to serve justice!!)...

Whoa, hold up Jimmy. I may not have had much of a basis to accuse nem on, but I was genuinely suspicious that she had protested her innocence so soon - just a little thing, I know, but enough to make me wonder how innocent she really was... And to be honest, I don't know if I trust Eliab to be telling the truth about their masonic memberships. Since we know that Masons hold a similar-ish position to the Doctor in this game, anyone who claims to be a Mason is less likely to be voted off, right? So if you're Mafia, but you can convince people you're a Mason... capisce?

That said, Sir Kevin's alibi sounds rather pants to me. Surfing 350 miles away, the day before a doctor's appointment? Travelling that distance to surf, when he lives in a town called Cosenza Beach ? Something's not right here...

I shall consider both cases, and then make a decision who to vote for. Zorro, as far as I'm concerned, you're safe.

For now...

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm voting for Nem Purely because it'd be a shame for Sir K to go 1st round, twice in a row, and I feel kinda guilty for being responsible for the last one.

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm... I've just checked back, and it seems I was a little mistaken. The Masons aren't like the Doctor (that's the Watchman's role now), but even so... The point is, all the people in groups other than the Citizens (that is, Mafiosi, 'Ngurduwhatevertheywerecalled and Masons) know who else is in their gang. For a Mason to "out" one of his own, apparently because he wants to ensure he himself doesn't get bumped off, seems highly suspicious to me. It's exactly the kind of underhand trick you'd expect a Mafiosi to pull off - an if successful, would keep two Mafiosis (whatever the correct pluralisation is) in the game who might otherwise have been taken out. And of course, that's exactly what Eliab has done here...

So, much as I'm still sceptical about Sir Kevin's excuse, I'm sticking with my initial gut reaction. Sorry, nem , but I think you're dodgy. So I'm voting for you.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Izzy reluctantly votes for nem - there seems like there's a cover-up giong on there...

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
For a Mason to "out" one of his own, apparently because he wants to ensure he himself doesn't get bumped off, seems highly suspicious to me.

No, you dullard, I let it be known that nem is a Mason because you accused her and she is innocent. No schemes, no suspicions, just the truth.

The difficult part was whether to 'out' myself. And I figure that it isn't that much of a risk because even though the criminals will want me dead, if they are smart they want each other dead even more. I might be wrong, but I'm not going to stay silent while you kill an innocent citizen just because I've miscalculated.

Anyway, I've made it obvious that I'm in the same group as nem. For the Mafia that's a stupid thing to do. It would guarantee that when someone kills one of us, they can be sure of knowing who the other is. It would be suicidal. I'm neither stupid nor suicidal. The only group that can possibly benefit from being known is the Masons. That's nem and I.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

The man at the bar was clearly agitated. Little Stevie decided he'd best back away. He still wasn't completely convinced, but he figured time would tell. Of course, if he'd got it wrong, Little Stevie's safety would be in serious jeopardy, but it was a risk he'd have to take for standing up for what he believed in.

There was only one person Little Stevie could trust in this town, and that was himself. He may have just dug his own grave, but he wouldn't go down without a fight. Even if he was a dullard.

Now to track down his girl... assuming they hadn't got to her first...

--------------------

Also by the same author

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

And one other thing. There are two surviving Masons in this town. Now either they are nem and I, or there's two people who know that I'm lying.

So where are they? If they exist, they speak up and wipe out two Mafiosi. Even if it puts them at risk, that's well worth it to save innocent lives. Two certain guilty deaths for a slight increase in the danger we are all in already? Who wouldn't speak at those odds?

But they won't speak up. Because they don't exist. Sure, two Mafiosi could stand up and claim to be Masons, and if they do, then nem will die. Then we will find out that she was innocent, and the two liars will be next. One innocent death will cost them two criminals - and that's very bad odds for them.

So if you are in any doubt about nem's innocence, ask yourselves "where are the real Masons if Eliabsson's lying?" if there were any, they could kill two Mafiosi for free, so why don't they say who they are? The only answer is that I'm telling the truth.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

OK, have I missed something here Eliab? As far as I'm aware (and I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong) the number of Masons in the game has not been confirmed anywhere publicly. Therefore, how do we know there were only four Masons to begin with? How do we know there weren't eight? Or only two, who would both be dead by now? You're clearly a smart bloke, Eliab, and have no doubt thought things through more than I have - but I'm still not convinced that I can believe anything you're telling me. Please prove me wrong.

--------------------

Also by the same author

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
OK, have I missed something here Eliab? As far as I'm aware (and I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong) the number of Masons in the game has not been confirmed anywhere publicly. Therefore, how do we know there were only four Masons to begin with? How do we know there weren't eight? Or only two, who would both be dead by now? You're clearly a smart bloke, Eliab, and have no doubt thought things through more than I have - but I'm still not convinced that I can believe anything you're telling me. Please prove me wrong.

What you've missed is that the Masons can say for sure how many of them there are.

Now I'm sure there's two of us left. If I'm lying, then that's one more thing that the real Masons can call me on. But no one is going to stand up and say that they know I'm wrong. No one.

Because if they do, they'll be lying, and once they are found out (which they will be as soon as nem or I dies), they'll be dead. If I was lying, I couldn't be certain that no one would speak. In fact, I'd be shaking in my boots in case some real Mason did. I've had five whiskies now, and I'm still as steady as a rock. Not shaking at all.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Auuggggh, Eliab is right. Great apologies to nem [Hot and Hormonal] . Though it does seem hard on Sir Kevin to have to die so soon again. Maybe we should as a group split our votes three ways and not lynch anyone? Or should we lynch Sir Kevin, since he might be guilty? If we don't do anything at all during the day, the Mafia and the 'Ndrinu will still bump us off one by one at night.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I had been planning to vote for nem, but at the moment I'm convinced by what Eliab's been saying... so, I am voting for SirKevin - despite being a bit reluctant as he was out of the first game so quickly too. (It seems unlikely that Zorro would be a baddy again - though I suppose it depends on whether the roles were pulled out of a hat, or chosen by Teuf?)

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
me? guilty? after seeing the vicious work of the mafia last time I can assure you I am a mason as the kind fisherman Eliab has pointed out.

As for the giulty party, I doubt it's Zorro otherwise his whole story telling thing seems a bit obvious for him to actually be a member of one fo the gangs, but then I don't want Sir kevin to go out so early on again if he is innocent. So tough but I think I'll vote for Sir kevin

[ 19. October 2006, 21:26: Message edited by: nem ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor Sir Kevin, thinks Lambiekins. He was always so good to me. But everybody's got their time to go.

She raises a frying pan for Sir Kevin.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well nobody has stood up and claimed to be a Mason, so I'm going to give nem the benefit of the doubt for now. Perhaps the Mafia's future actions might reveal if this was justified.

Despite remaining deeply suspicious of Zorro's protestations there is only one name that Leonato can write on his voting card - Sir Kevin

[ 19. October 2006, 23:14: Message edited by: leonato ]

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

Little Stevie was confused. He'd been so sure that nem was guilty of something - maybe it wasn't this, though... Walking the dark streets to the address he had heard his girl was staying at, he went over the day's events again. Perhaps the fisherman had been right after all, but it was probably too late to take his vote back. "Next time I have to point the finger at someone" , he thought, "I'll try to do it while I'm sober."

But now it was time to put that out of his mind. Little Stevie had reached the apartment he'd been given the address of. He pushed the intercom button for number 93. No response. He tried again. Still nothing. One last ring, then Little Stevie decided he'd best call it a night.

Walking back towards the motel, a lady of the night called out to him. "Hey, handsome - is that a gun in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" Little Stevie whipped out his weapon and discharged it in her direction. Then he realised he wasn't in a Carry On film, and figured he'd better call an ambulance. And learn to curb his enthusiasm for acting out the worst puns that came to his mind.

[ 19. October 2006, 23:25: Message edited by: Stevie Boy Wonder ]

--------------------

Also by the same author

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sir Kevin

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dorothy had heard rumours about that Old Man of the Sea; the godfather who never owned a gun, but by merely combing his hair a certain way the dark and dirty business of removing an enemy would be done. No one ever saw him, rarely was he heard from, but his rule in Cosenza Beach was absolute. At least that's what the mafia believed anyway. Who is this Sir Kevin anyway?she found herself wondering. What do we really know of him except that he would rather whack people than get whacked?

Dorothy votes for Sir Kevin.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ellen sat behind her reading table, shuffling her tarot cards, puling random ones, contemplating them, and shuffling them back in.

No customers today. not a surprise, with the news of the double killings. Odd - people dont want to hear from a seer when something serious is going on. only if they want to fall in love or know if their husband is cheating on them or know howto invest their money.

never when the results could matter.

She sipped her mint tea, and shuffled again. Turned over the first card.

The Wheel of Fortune - destiny at work. all pieces of the supposedly random puzzle are interconnected. The grafitti too? Ellen smiled to herself. flipped the next card.

Four of Pentacles. He who fears loss the most. The miser, the hoarder who doesn't want to let go of what he has collected. Hmm.

Eight of Wands is next. swift and decisive action is called for. She must act. she must make her vote, stop this madness. but who?

Last Card - the Hermit. The quiet one. is she to reach within for the answer? For better or worse, there are just so many reasons, factual and instinctual.

Ellen finishes her tea and locks up, walking out in her work regalia to join the growing crowd, and place her vote.

for Sir Kevin

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is voting still ongoing? Luce Pura doesn't follow the crowd.

Nem it is.

She posted early and then stayed quiet.

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shocked by the way Sir Kevin has clearly devised a foolproof (or so he thinks) alibi, I am swayed to believe that he is, indeed, guilty. I vote for Sir Kevin

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
Is voting still ongoing? Luce Pura doesn't follow the crowd.

Nem it is.

She posted early and then stayed quiet.

well, as a wise man once said, vote early, and vote often! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roger is confused (not for the first time!). That Eliab fellow sure looks like someone his brother had told him about. But on the other hand, he makes a convincing case, and you have to trust someone.

Sir Kevin, however, seems another matter. All he can say is that he wasn't around, yet he has no alibi to back that up. It looks suspicious. Too suspicious to be let go.

Sir Kevin

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

I make that twelve votes for Sir Kevin: Banner Lady, Chelley, christianjimmy, comet, CuppaT, dolphy, Eliab, Lamb Chopped, Leonato, nem, Rugmaker and Smudgie.

Only five people - Autenrieth Road, Izzybee, Pure Sunshine, Stevie Boy Wonder and Zorro - voted for nem, and no-one voted for Zorro at all.

The self-appointed canvassers gathered their supporters around them in the town square. With the police seemingly busy investigating Krispy Kreme, the citizens had taken justice into their own hands. Soon, one large mob dominated the square, calling for the death of Sir Kevin...

Unfortunately for these enthusiastic vigilantes, Sir Kevin is a Citizen. Once he has posted an appropriately dramatic death scene, night will fall, and those of you with night actions should take them.

T.

[ 20. October 2006, 10:06: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
(It seems unlikely that Zorro would be a baddy again - though I suppose it depends on whether the roles were pulled out of a hat, or chosen by Teuf?)

I obviously can't comment on Zorro's guilt or innocence. He is, however, just as likely or unlikely as anyone else to be guilty, as I assigned the roles using MS Excel's RAND() function. (I'll be posting a fuller account of my methods at the end of the game.)

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I obviously can't comment on Zorro's guilt or innocence. He is, however, just as likely or unlikely as anyone else to be guilty,
Actually, owing to the increased number of players, I'd probably be less likely to be mafia twice in as many games [Razz]

--------------------
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:
(It seems unlikely that Zorro would be a baddy again - though I suppose it depends on whether the roles were pulled out of a hat, or chosen by Teuf?)

I obviously can't comment on Zorro's guilt or innocence. He is, however, just as likely or unlikely as anyone else to be guilty, as I assigned the roles using MS Excel's RAND() function. (I'll be posting a fuller account of my methods at the end of the game.)

T.

Thanks Teuf, that's all I was wondering - if it was random or if it was by human selection!!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Thanks Teuf, that's all I was wondering - if it was random or if it was by human selection!!

Personally, I think I'd rather try to predict a random algorithm than try to follow the convolutions of Teufelchen's devious mind. So that makes things a lot simpler.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
quote:
I obviously can't comment on Zorro's guilt or innocence. He is, however, just as likely or unlikely as anyone else to be guilty,
Actually, owing to the increased number of players, I'd probably be less likely to be mafia twice in as many games [Razz]
You've heard of the Gambler's Fallacy, right?

Ahem. This is a digression.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Kevin, Kevin, we want Kevin", chanted the crowd who had been waiting for hours to witness his final minutes.

JJ decided to ask the barman to bring bottles of wine out into the square so that the onlookers could be refreshed as they awaited the death scene.

Everyone accepted a large glass of red wine, all were laughing and joking with each other. Everyone seemed friends and yet, the sky became dark... would there be another murder this night?

There were flashes of light... was this from the sky, was it a thunderstorm, or had someone leaked to the press?

--------------------

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Zorro sits on the hill, looking at the crowd below. What a vile town. What a vile species. This needless killing is truly sickening. It's bad enough when your life depends on it, but when it could have been you, your stomach knots. A tragedy. The poor man. His thoughts go to his surf buddies.

--------------------

christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

My condolences to Sir Kevins family.

B*st*rd mafia.

Sobbed CJ as he finished his glass of rather decent red that the strange alcoholic lady had demanded for everybody. He made a mental note to keep an eye on her, and on that person sitting up on the hillside watching everybody, and on... well, everybody actually. Trust no-one. That was going to be his new plan, well that and buying people drinks at the bar to keep them happy. Yes. A good plan. Now if only Sir Kevin can be buried with full honour we can move on...

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Sir Kevin lies slumped at the bottom of a tree, his neck broken, life draining out of him. He wishes he'd never heard of New Jersey and the Mafia...wishes to be buried at sea in his beloved Pacific Ocean near LA...

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Well, I’m sorry for Sir Kevin, but crying over spilt blood won’t help to put any criminals in the ground.

In case I don’t make it through the night, here are my thoughts.

We don’t learn much today, because it was a vote between a known Mason, and an unknown, who turned out to be a Citizen. And that means a smart Mafiosi would vote in the same way as the rest of us. They would rather kill an unknown person (who they are at least sure is not in their gang) because they might get a detective, or watchman, or rival gangster, and all of those would be better than a known Mason or Citizen for them. We would also rather kill the unknown person, in case they are Mafia. The chance of getting a detective or watchman has to be discounted for us, because we can’t avoid it. Everyone, whatever side they were on, had an interest in voting in the same way.

So there’s no real clue from the voting. Those who voted for nem just took a little longer to see that if she (and I) were guilty, a real Mason could and would have done for us easily, and as no one did, that she must have been innocent.

But having said that, the Mafia knew one thing that we citizens didn’t. They knew that they definitely wanted one of nem or Sir Kevin dead. They knew that neither of them were on their side – and we didn’t know that. We had to make a decision and vote, and for us the best vote, in all circumstances and whenever it was cast would be for Sir Kevin. But the Mafia, while they would rather see him killed as well, would still rather kill nem than see a deadlock. So I think one or two of them would have held back, waited to see if the vote might be split, and then make sure their vote was enough to kill.

So I think there’s likely to be a higher proportion of Mafiosi amongst the 5 people who didn’t vote (AnnaF, basso, dolphy, Linguo, Papa Smurf) than the 17 who did. I’m not saying they are all guilty, not by any means, not even that most of them are, but I have a shrewd feeling that they’ll be one or two of the Mafia in that group.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Dorothy walked up the stairs to her apartment slowly. She was in shock. She was sorry she had chatted to a few of them about her terrible find up at the clinic, and the appointment sheet which, it now turned out was merely that. The late Sir Kevin had been the last client of the late Dr.Gumby. What on earth had come over the people in the bar? Was it the fear? Was it the alchohol? And how on earth did CJ manage to foot the bill for a huge crowd that drank the night away while they became more and more murderous? Where did anyone get that kind of money?

She hoped the bartender was pleased with last night's takings. She had certainly tried to keep the liquid flowing. As she shut the door behind her she mused that there were two kinds of employers in the hospitality industry. Those who would put you on an unpaid trial, work you hard, spit you out then go find another chump while they laughed all the way to the bank; and those who not only looked after their customers, but the welfare of their staff too. She fingered the slim fold of $20 notes Ezio had pressed into her pocket as she had left, and wondered if he would call her to work again. She wondered if how thirsty this town was could be directly linked to how bloodthirsty they were?

Only another day would tell.

--------------------

dolphy

# 862

JJ drained her glass of whisky, stubbed out her ciggy, and with tears in her eyes for the loss of dear Kevin, decided to walk back to the wall and try to work out the graffiti code...

Surely Kevin was innocent... he'd just gone for a swim after all... what was it about that man in the cloak in the street cafe...

Is no one safe anymore.... [Waterworks]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016