homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lambiekins lies in an ambulance, eyeing the blood transfusion bag.
That f------ bastard. Just because I chatted him up. Thank God I'm one of the undead already--that dose of lead would have done for me for sure.

Now my only question is: How many transfusions can I get away with before they catch on?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Sir Kevin was no more. Another innocent victim. The crowds in the bar didn't know what to say. Some were remorseless at the futile death they had brought about, others were vowing to make sure next time, it was the Mafia who suffered and not the innocent citizens of Cosenza Beach.

Little Stevie raised a glass of brandy in memory of Sir Kevin. He also pledged to stick close to his new and rather generous friend CJ. Well, as close and friendly as you can in a town where you can't trust anybody. And now, it was Little Stevie's turn to dig deep, in both his pocket and his conscience. He crossed the room and took a seat next to the fisherman.

"Er, Mr Eliabsson, sir? I just wanted to say I'm sorry I doubted you. I believe you to be a good and trustworthy man, and I wonder if I could buy you a drink by way of an apology?"

As he said the words, however, Little Stevie could feel eyes on the back of his neck. Not literally, that would have been creepy. But he knew someone was watching. He realised that he and the fisherman had shown themselves to be inquisitive souls, and he figured anyone asking questions was more likely to be noticed by the Mafia than those who accepted what they were told. Little Stevie was unrepentant, though. He had done the right thing, and now he just had to wait and see how that would be repaid...

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by christianjimmy:
well, as a wise man once said, vote early, and vote often! [Roll Eyes] [/QB]

Eh?

Luce Pura sends her condolences to the family. Unlike others in this town, she has better things to do than kill innocent men.

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smurf could feel the eyes boring into him as he made his way home. Suspicious of his abstaining, why did he not join in ?

Smurf saw the pleading honesty in Eliab's eyes - he trusted him that nem had been innocent, but once the juggernaut of blame descended upon Sir Kevin, he could see that whether he voted or not wasn't going to change the course of events.

He cursed himself for his cowardice at not even speaking up, not even voting in protest at the actions of the mob, which he was very sure had somehow been triggered and ecouraged by members of one gang or another.
He vowed not to let that happen again(if he got the chance) and he reminded himself to also keep an eye on Zorro, and whoever it was that was first to suggest the poor Sir K - Dorothy from the Doctor's surgery (Banner Lady).

Mind you, if nem was also innocent, as Eliab was profusely insisting, then perhaps "Little Stevie" was worth watching too, despite his later apologoy for his accusation. After all, he did say something about taking a night action

[ 21. October 2006, 14:54: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
perhaps "Little Stevie" was worth watching too... After all, he did say something about taking a night action

Papa Smurf, there's only one type of slash I do in the middle of the night, and it doesn't involve a knife...

Sorry, was that TMI? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
She posted early and then stayed quiet
Nem was a busy lady, she had plenty of mason jobs to sort out adn sometimes wasn't able to check up on the latest news.If this makes her guilty of slacking then so be it but does this make her guilty of murder? I think not.

I'm very sorry to ehar abotu Sir kevin though I merely knew I wasn't a member of the mafia and so to protect my innocence thought I shoudl vote for someone. My sincerest apologies. next time I shall try harder to ensure only justice occurs.

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Masonic Massacre Continues

Following last night's mysterious double killing, a third local Freemason has been found dead. Prominent lodge member Erlendur Eliabsson was killed at his home in Cosenza Beach some time after midnight last night. No explanation has yet been advanced for the apparent vendetta by local gangsters against the city's masons. Dan Brown is reported to be planning a visit to Cosenza Beach to research his new novel The Solomon Key, however. Local police chief Z Bob Mozsynski told our reporter 'Mmmm....donuts.'

Fortune-teller Cites 'Unforseen Circumstances'

Madame Elena Comet's clairvoyant shop has closed without warning. A note pinned on the door blamed unforseen circumstances for the popular local fortune-teller's sudden departure. A respected Citizen of the town, she will be missed - but in light of rising violence, her move may be seen as prudent.

(Eliab is assassinated by person or persons unknown - he was a Mason; Comet drops out of the game - she was a Citizen.)

Day dawns. Nominations will be allowed as soon as Eliab posts a death scene.

T.

[ 23. October 2006, 10:53: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[aside]

Sorry folks - when I changed my name I didn't think about how it would affect this game. I'll think of something to get the change as part of the story[/aside]

[ 23. October 2006, 10:59: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Again, Erlendur cannot sleep. He knows that Sir Kevin's death was the responsibility of the murderers and cowards who had killed his friends, but it still weighs heavily on his conscience. He walks along the docks, watching the sea, and talking to his God. Except in the most severe storms, he does not pray often, and he struggles to find the words to express his hopes and his guilt.

A smartly-dressed figure in black is leaning against the mooring post to which the
St Olaf is secured. He is holding a cigarette which he breathes at fiercely as Eliabsson approaches, the lit end standing out clearly in the gloom. There is a strong smell of petrol in the air, and Erlendur notices that the deck of his boat gleams with the harbour lights, as if it were slick with spilled fuel.

"Nice boat, old man. Real nice. Bet it cost you all your pension. Shame you didn't stay on it and mind your own business rather than meddling in ours. Now this is a friendly warning..." He grinds out the cigarette under his heel and produces a lighter, which ignites. He waves the naked flame in the direction of the St Olaf.

Eliabsson walks calmly forward. His right hand reaches under and around his coat.

"Get the hell away from my boat" he says softly. The smart figure laughs, holds up the lighter in his left hand, still burning, and there is a sharp click as the working end of a long switchblade appears in his right.

The fisherman walks on making no sudden movement, but calculating the distance, five metres, four, three. The other man does not move. His eyes are fixed on Eliabsson, and he is still smiling. Two metres, then a quick half-step and the old man springs to the attack with surprising speed, the blade sliding from the sheath at his back in a narrow arc at the gangster's neck.

Then, from the shadows, around the doorway to Erlendur's lodging, a shotgun blasts out towards the jetty. The shot takes him squarely in the lower back, and sprawls his body across the boards.

The smart figure, still standing, but a little taken aback by Erlendur's speed, looks down at the fallen fisherman. There is blood in the old man's mouth and more blood spilling over and dripping through the planks into the sea as he lies there, trying to say something. His outstretched hand still holds the gutting-knife, still pointed at the gangster. The blade has scored a long cut across the toe of his immaculately polished Italian leather shoe. The criminal's smile fades. He kicks down viciously at the fisherman, then, out of pure spite, hurls the cigarette lighter onto the
St Olaf's deck.

The fire at the docks is reported quickly, but the police wait prudently for the criminals to leave the scene before coming to record the act of arson. By the time anyone approaches the jetty with the smouldering wreck of the fishing boat, Erlendur Eliabsson,
Mason, is dead.

[ 23. October 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weeping, Luce Pura places a wreath by the docks. Her father had warned her against living in dangerous places like Cosenza Beach. In the silence, she hears a faint shuffling sound.

Perhaps its Papa del Sole turning in his grave.

Despite what everyone believed, she knew that he, too, had been killed by the Mafia, a few years ago. Now it was happening here, too.

Who could have done a thing like this?

As she heads home, Luce Pura notes a few people pointing at her, a few curtains twitching.

She can guess what they might be saying.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

he didn't want to be known as "Smurf", or "Papa" anymore.

those names called up his past, of cowardly behaviour when he should have stood up for himself, and used his powers and responsibilities instead of letting them go to waste. Was it ultimately his responsibility that this place had become the way it was now ?
He vowed to change his behaviour. Perhaps if he changed his name, took on an alter ego, then the people would take him seriously.
He needed a name. Something that struck fear into the hearts of evil doers as being a potent force, but at the same time reassured the innocent that they had nothing to fear.

"I want to be as welcome to the bad guys as a slap in the face with a Wet Kipper" he thought to himself

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ezio opens the bar again. A barman has supposedly seen it all, but he can't believe the chaos that's happening in this supposedly sleepy town.

As he straightens up, he finds a violin case under a table. He opens it and checks. Yep, it's got a violin in it. Must belong to that odd street musician. He holds the fiddle up to the light and peers inside. Handsome, but for sure it's not a Strad here in Consenza Beach.

Sometimes a violin is just a violin. He tucks it back into its case, and stores the case behind the bar. He has a feeling it won't be long before the owner comes calling for it.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
nem stands still. Shocked at the recent news. She is the last of the masons. 'What do these gangs have against us?' she ponders. 'Are we that much of a threat?' If it was me I'd be after someone that could actual do some harm to them. Looks like I don't have much longer left on earth. Best make the most of it....'
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Spurred on by the death of another innocent, Kipper decided it was time for action. Call it rash, brave, stupid, or not wanting to hold back any longer, he nominated Banner Lady "Dorothy" for her closeness to the late doctor, and the fact that she was first to nominate someone yesterday, and the innocent Sir Kevin at that....

[ 23. October 2006, 20:52: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

- Posted      Profile for AnnaF   Email AnnaF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blinking back tears, Anna Fischer watched the mysterious tourist lay flowers beside the smouldering skeleton of the St Olaf. It was a touching action, but ultimately futile- catching his killers would be the only way to help old Erlendur rest peacefully in his grave.

She'd always respected him for his quiet bravery and sharp eyes that could pick a ship out of the fog before others had yet seen the shadow. She'd never guessed at his masonic activities, but, on reflection they fitted the thoughtful, generous man who'd always been ready with some bit of weather lore to share. He'd been the citizen's best hope of living to see spring in this town. And she'd let him down, frozen in horror at the angry, violent crowd and certain bloodshed. That would not be a mistake to make again.

She walked a way up towards Ezio's bar then stopped, shocked, as a new question slithered across her mind:

"Where was the port watchman last night?"

Posts: 53 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chelley decided to take a long walk as the sun rose. The events of the last few days had been shocking and she felt the need to be reminded that there was a greater power at work than just that of human aggression and spite. Cosenza Beach may not be the most spectacular of places to live - but even the grime of the town couldn't diminish the beauty of the rising sun as it glimmered over the sea. Perhaps there was still hope for another day?

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nominations close in an hour and a half from the time of this post, and so far Wet Kipper's nomination of Banner Lady is the only one we've had. Is it to be a one-horse race?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

OK, nominations are now closed. Clearly the halving of Cosenza Beach's murder rate late night has somewhat cooled the public ardour for mob justice.

Banner Lady now has 24 hours from the time of this post to defend herself, after which I'll be calling a straight for-or-against vote. Banner Lady is welcome to end her defence before the 24 hours elapses, but doesn't have to.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Kipper was shocked by the town's reticence
Surely they know that "I'll go first" means that someone else should say something next ?

He is now worried that the lack of counter nomination from anyone else means that the gang members are more than happy with his choice, and another innocent is doomed.
[Frown]

--------------------

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JJ wakes up. She is cold and sore and hungry... She looks around her... and then remembers where she is... She looks up, yes, the graffiti is still there... She decides to take a walk to the beach... perhaps a swim in the cold sea would help her awaken... was that something she heard last night, was someone else dead? ... Poor confused JJ walks slowly to the beach...

She sees someone there in tears... she recognises this person as being Chelley, ah yes, Chelley who wanted the same boots, the same boots that JJ wants... JJ runs to the other end of the beach not knowing if anyone can be trusted anymore... she thinks about the code but, she is too tired to attempt to work it out.

As JJ paddles on the sea shore she remembers a small blue guy, he was in a rocking chair outside his house... wasn't he being teased?

JJ sits on the sand and lets the sea lap over her feet...

[ 24. October 2006, 14:21: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn Wreath walked down to the middle of the beach, since there was already someone at each end of the beach. The town was very quiet. Was Nurse Banner Lady Dorothy doomed? If even one person voted for her, would that be a majority? How dreadful it would be to lynch another innocent person. But how dreadful to never do anything and simply get picked off one by one by the gangs at night. But how were the innocent citizens ever to defeat the Mafia and 'Ndrinu if anyone who spoke up got summarily killed off? There didn't seem to be much evidence for anything, except that nem is a Mason. Autumn watched the waves go in and out, pondering.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autumn reread one of the posters tacked to phone posts all over town and illustrated with little red devils describing the upcoming election.

"Oh, I see, it looks like we'll get to vote Yes or No."

Autumn tossed a shell into the ocean. She'd wait and see what Nurse Dorothy had to say for herself.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

Following his rash and ill-founded accusations against nem, Little Stevie was going to be more cautious about his behaviour from hereon in. Would that make him look suspicious? Maybe. But almost everyone in Cosenza Beach looked suspicious...

Unable to find an area of beach that wasn't already occupied by an emotionally charged woman, Little Stevie headed back to the bar to collect his thoughts. How he'd managed to leave them there, he wasn't sure. Once he had them, he walked downtown, found a quiet park and thought long and hard about what was happening. So many innocent lives lost already. Could Dorothy Banner Lady be another? Or was she, beneath the guise of the caring nurse, actually up to something more sinister?

As he pondered further, Little Stevie realised he knew one thing. And that was that he knew nothing.

--------------------

Also by the same author

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dorothy was confused. It seemed that she was a suspect in not only Sir Kevin's death, but also in Dr.Gumby's brutal slaying. The police had told her to be available to answer more questions, and now it seemed that the rumour mill had started. She wondered where it would end, and suspected nowhere good at all.

Ezio had not called her in for any more shift work. She guessed that he had his doubts too.

As she walked downtown to get her morning milkshake, again she could not help noticing how many of the inhabitants of Cosenza Beach wore black. Were they part of a gang? Did they have the police in their pockets? Could she be in danger? As she stepped out of the milkbar a wet kipper hit her full in the face. Dorothy screamed and dropped her shake all over the pavement. As she picked herself up, the tears streaming down her face, she was aware not one person on the cafe sidewalk stepped forward to help. Dorothy couldn't help sobbing out
" Oh, I wish I was back in Kansas!"

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banner Lady wishes to address the following remarks to Wet Kipper (the artist formerly known as Papa Smurf). I am innocent of murder. My crime is one of impatience. I like this game - but it drove me crackers how slowly the previous one moved. My reason for nominating Sir Kevin (in what I hoped was a round about way via the appointment slip) was firstly to get the ball rolling; secondly to see if anyone else was suspicious of him; and thirdly because in the last game it seemed that the quietest ones were the real criminals. Because Sir Kevin had protested that he hated being killed off so early in the last game, I wondered if Teufelchen had decided to make him one of the gang leaders instead (Hey, that's what I would do!). Alas, that was too obvious. As we all know now, Sir Kevin was innocent. Sorry Kev! If you string me up for my impatience, you will be leaving both gangs stronger and the citizen base much depleted, which would be unfortunate.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Ezio had not called her in for any more shift work. She guessed that he had his doubts too.

Shift work? I expect you here every evening. I'm slammed here in the bar with all these strangers drinking here all night. Please show up until I tell you not to.

grouchy and overworked bartender

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
He is now worried that the lack of counter nomination from anyone else means that the gang members are more than happy with his choice, and another innocent is doomed. [Frown]

This sounds like a pretty reasonable line of thinking. Thanks for doing my cogitation for me, ex-Smurfy one!

So I won't vote for Banner Lady then [Biased]

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
...in the last game it seemed that the quietest ones were the real criminals. Because Sir Kevin had protested that he hated being killed off so early in the last game, I wondered if Teufelchen had decided to make him one of the gang leaders instead (Hey, that's what I would do!).

I should have been more explicit about the random assignment of roles, I guess. This is definitely a case where more transparency on my part in running the game would be good.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Banner Lady wishes to address the following remarks to Wet Kipper (the artist formerly known as Papa Smurf). I am innocent of murder. My crime is one of impatience. I like this game - but it drove me crackers how slowly the previous one moved. My reason for nominating Sir Kevin (in what I hoped was a round about way via the appointment slip) was firstly to get the ball rolling; secondly to see if anyone else was suspicious of him; and thirdly because in the last game it seemed that the quietest ones were the real criminals. Because Sir Kevin had protested that he hated being killed off so early in the last game, I wondered if Teufelchen had decided to make him one of the gang leaders instead (Hey, that's what I would do!). Alas, that was too obvious. As we all know now, Sir Kevin was innocent. Sorry Kev! If you string me up for my impatience, you will be leaving both gangs stronger and the citizen base much depleted, which would be unfortunate.

I can understand the impatience side of things... but why go for Sir Kevin? He was killed off on the first night of the other game and there are a lot of characters around in Cosenza Beach. I suppose we've been helped now by knowing that all the current roles were chosen randomly and not by Teuf selection. A lot of us ended up lynching Sir Kevin because he was the one left when it seemed very likely that nem was innocent as Eliab had been saying, and because Zorro had been Mafia before (which we now know isn't a factor).
It seems a strange decision to me, but now we all have the tough decision of trying to work out if you're a gangster or not.

Chelley sat back down on the beach and shook her head, trying to work out whether to trust BannerLady.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

[Missed edit window to add: It seems unlikely that a gangster would have been that impatient to start the nominations off, so I suspect BL is a citizen? Could be wrong though?]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I'm intrigued why BL stayed quiet during the nomination period.
If someone had nominated me I'd be in quick with a counter nomination, to try and help my chances, whether I was innocent or not.

I would also have thought by now that the detective might have either backed up the nomination (if BL is bad), or tried to steer us away (if BL is good) - I was quite quick with my nomination, so there was plenty time for more.
I'm also surprised that no one from eithe rof the gangs has spoken up to defend or further condemn Banner Lady.

Are you guys either too busy to play, or too scared to say anything ?

It seems that if Banner Lady is lynched, she will be a victimm of my impatience, same as Sir Kev was a victim of hers.

eta - if there are more "no" votes than "yes", does BL live, or is 1 vote enough for a lynching

[ 25. October 2006, 10:33: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:

I'm surprised at how quiet it is, given how busy it was last time with twice as many players.

quote:
if there are more "no" votes than "yes", does BL live, or is 1 vote enough for a lynching
There are 19 of you left in town. A majority is thus 10 votes. It will need 10 people to vote for a lynching for one to happen. If 10 of you vote against, or less than 10 have voted for when the 36 hour voting period is up, then Banner Lady will be saved, and we can all hope that the gangsters shoot each other tonight instead of more Masons (if there are any).

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

quote:

I'm just too confused and doubting in my own ability to work out anybody's motives.

eta: In light of your above post, Teuf, can you confirm for us what time the voting period ends please?

[ 25. October 2006, 10:49: Message edited by: Stevie Boy Wonder ]

--------------------

Also by the same author

christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CJ sat at the bar, wondering if he could ever be bothered to move. Maybe not just yet, he thought, maybe just one more drink and then see what the weather's like outside.

Can I get a freshly squeezed orange juice please barman.

He called out, trying to avoid the service of the new bar-staff. She was a funny one that one. CJ just wasnt convinced by her, she might be playing it too clever... Gathering a small crowd around his bar stool - probably in the hope of further generosity with his bar bill, but possibly interested in the ponderings of a fellow town resident - CJ expounded his theory,

When Bannerlady nominated Sir K last time, and worked in a bit of "evidence" to back up her allegations, I thought to myself that Bannerlady might have been a detective (or whatever the variant is called in this game) and had discovered that Sir K was mafia and so was trying to say that without being explicit in revealing her identity, (cos otherwise she'd be target for those darstadly evil mafia types.) Which is why, in short, I voted for Sir K to be lynched, particularly after Nem was revealed to be a Mason.
However with the revelation that Sir K was innocent (sorry [Hot and Hormonal] ) I started to wonder why Bannerlady was so keen to nominate quickly and even attempt to justify it with evidence (appointment sheet)...
Now I'm not saying that Bannerlady is definitely mafia, (cos lets face it, sticking your neck out in this town can be a dangerous occupation!) but I for one am not 100% convinced by her reasoning for accusing Sir K.
In the light of the fact that she's the only one to be nominated I guess many of us are going to be reluctant to vote, and indeed I'm partly tempted not to myself - but ask yourself this in the light of the facts:
According to the list from Teufelchen (on p.2) there are 24 players (ahem residents) in total. Of which 4 are dead - murdered or lynched, and 1 has left the town, leaving 19 of us alive. Now without the benfit of definitive numbers these are best guesses; but we definitely had 4 masons, we probably have 1 detective, 1 night watchman, and given as there are two mafia tribes, probably 4 or 5 mafia in total, (I'd guess 4 as probably the two tribes would have equal numbers, and I would have thought that more than 5 mafia would lead to a definite advantage for them in the game). So thats 10 roles, leaving us with just 14 "normal" citizens.
If we fail to kill a mafia member today, then they can bump off another 1 or 2 of us tonight (I'd guess 2 probably, unless the watchman does a good job!) leaving us very quickly with a small number of townfolk compared to the mafia. Basically what I want to say is...

CJ paused to sip at his orange juice, soothing his parched throat. Boy this this thought was going on much longer than he anticipated it would!

...Is this, if we dont take a chance of killling a mafia member, no matter how small the probability on paper that the accused is a mafia (and to be fair, there is nothing more than a slight suspicion about her actions earlier in the game to accuse her!) isnt it better to at least have a small chance of killing an evil mafia type, rather than giving them a day and night for free, and letting them bump off another 2 of us?!
In summary I think we should go for the lynching, and hope we get lucky by finding out that we've killed a mafia. Its about probablilities people - by doing nothing we definitely lose ground to the mafia, by lynching we at least have a chance.

And with his speech over CJ left the bar, and went for a pee, which he'd been busting for for the last 15 minutes.

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

"And the Oscar goes to... christianjimmy for 'Mafia II: La Cosa Nova'!" Good speech, CJ, and thanks for putting into words so eloquently what I was struggling to get straight in my own head.

Yes, FWIW, I think BL's actions have been pretty unusual, and something about her explanations hasn't quite rung true. The one thing that's just fallen into place is the lack of counter-nominations - sure she could be Mafia or 'Ndrinu, but no one in either camp will know if she's in the other. So, being cunning, if she is in one or other gang, her fellow gang members will keep quiet rather than arousing any further suspicion. Best to leave the one nomination there, and hope people are too busy/unconvinced/apathetic to carry out the lynching.

Given the numbers game jimmy's set out, I think it's in our best interests to lynch. But I'm going to think on it a little more before making a decision.

--------------------

Also by the same author

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
In light of your above post, Teuf, can you confirm for us what time the voting period ends please?

Voting begins in half an hour, and ends 36 hours after that. Refer to the times in the post headers - it's easier than everyone trying to calculate BST/GMT/whatever.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I ask a rules question even though I'm dead?

There was only one murder last 'night' - which might be because only one gang was organised enough to choose someone to kill, or because the watchman stopped one of the assassinations, or because both gangs went for the same victim.

Can the citizens distinguish any of those three possibilities? In particular, if there is a foiled murder will anyone (watchman, victim, assassin, the rest of the town...) know that there was an unsuccessful attempt or who it was on?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
Can I ask a rules question even though I'm dead?

Of course!
quote:
There was only one murder last 'night' - which might be because only one gang was organised enough to choose someone to kill, or because the watchman stopped one of the assassinations, or because both gangs went for the same victim.
The first option is unlikely - I tend to badger players for their night actions. Either of the other two options is entirely possible.

quote:
Can the citizens distinguish any of those three possibilities? In particular, if there is a foiled murder will anyone (watchman, victim, assassin, the rest of the town...) know that there was an unsuccessful attempt or who it was on?
If there is a foiled murder, the would-be assassins will be told they failed. If, on the other hand, both gangs go for the same person, the gang that messages me first gets the 'hit', although it makes no difference to game-play.

ETA: The watchman is not told if he was successful. If there's no murder at all, though, you can all be fairly sure he was.

T.

[ 25. October 2006, 11:32: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

Voting begins
As already mentioned, we only have one candidate for lynching. Accordingly, you may vote either for or against the motion to lynch Banner Lady. Not voting is equivalent to voting against, but slower. 10 votes will secure the motion. Voting lasts for 36 hours from the time of this post.

Anyone can vote either way - Wet Kipper is allowed to vote against and Banner Lady for, if they should choose. (The last game saw examples of both.)

T.

[ 25. October 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

christianjimmy
Shipmate
# 1820

- Posted      Profile for christianjimmy   Author's homepage   Email christianjimmy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK. So as not to be hypocritical, I'm voting for Bannerlady.
Sorry, but see my post above for my reasoning!

--------------------
[on discovering that 'Happy Birthday' was composed in 1924]
Alan Davies: What did people sing in 1923, for goodness' sake? They got the cake out and everyone just stood about in a slightly awkward silence?

Posts: 411 | From: That small insignificant country next to Wales... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
There are 19 of you left in town. A majority is thus 10 votes. It will need 10 people to vote for a lynching for one to happen. If 10 of you vote against, or less than 10 have voted for when the 36 hour voting period is up, then Banner Lady will be saved,
T.

what if there are less than 10 votes for, and everyone else abstains ?

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
There are 19 of you left in town. A majority is thus 10 votes. It will need 10 people to vote for a lynching for one to happen. If 10 of you vote against, or less than 10 have voted for when the 36 hour voting period is up, then Banner Lady will be saved,
T.

what if there are less than 10 votes for, and everyone else abstains ?
Abstaining is still not voting for the motion, so no-one will get lynched.

And it will take 36 hours to not happen.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

- Posted      Profile for AnnaF   Email AnnaF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shaking, Anna Fischer stepped up to the bar where so many dead men had stood to speak. She coughed. And, as the silent faces began to turn towards her she hoped that they couldn't see her knuckles turn white where she gripped the bar.

"CJ, that was a fine speech. I agree with your conclusions, but your maths doesn't ring quite true.

The mafia groups may have 3 or possibly 4 members each, as they faced competition not only from the competing mafia but also from the masons. The moderator wouldn't have known they'd be so lucky with their first kills. Second, the other special roles (watchman, detective and mason) are also citizens, so their innocence oughtn't be forgot when adding up the odds between killers and innocents.

As you said, the situation is desperate, we may only have a majority of 3 over the killers:
  • 4 mafia
  • 4 n'drinu
  • 1 mason
  • 10 citizens
But we haven't lost yet. Eliabsson died to give us a most precious piece of information, the only thing we truly know and can trust:

nem is innocent, and a mason.

She's the only other person I can trust in this place to judge me fairly, free from hidden motives. The only other person who might not creep in at night to steal my life.

That is true for every one of you here listening to me now. You can only trust yourself and nem.

Even those of you who already have blood of nocturnal murder rotting upon your hands and in your souls may only put your trust in her. For what mercy do you expect from your fellow murderers?

As a citizen, I cannot even prove my own innocence to you without first dying for all to read the exoneration written on my heart. All I can do is pray that when read by a blameless mind the truth of these words transcend their doubtful source.

So, although personally I feel the accused should die today, I'm going to be voting with nem, whichever way she decides. All innocent citizens will do the same today, and every day, if they wish to live out these persecutions. Because in these sad times we can trust her, but not each other. Standing together behind a fair and civilised judge is the only way, in this dire situation, to keep the Mafiosi from directing the mob by day as their slit our throats by night.

Thank you."

AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

Teufelchen:

Just to make my intentions clear, there are no votes or potential votes contained in the previous post. After nem has declared one way or the other I will post again following the normal game mechanics to cast my vote, which will be happen to be in accordance with hers. And I'm firmly recommending that every other citizen who hasn't already voted waits to do the same thing.

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

I agree that we can probably trust nem, but that doesn't make her psychic or God! I'm still weighing up what's been said and trying to decide what to do.

[ 25. October 2006, 12:51: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Nem maybe a confirmed Mason, but (IIRC) has no clue on the identity of Banner Lady, innocent or otherwise.

whilst we can trust that she won't be murdering us in our beds at night, we cannot trust in her to keep us safe (she is not the Watchman/Healer/ Dr/whatever) nor point our lynching discussions in the direction of gang members (she is not the Detective)

so saying that you'll trust her and vote with her looks to me like you're trying to find someone else to take all the blame if we end up lynching another citizen. In fact, the only innocent citizens that she could have prevented us from lynching are the other masons. And they're all dead.

Don't look for guidance from anyone else about how to vote. make up your own mind and take responsibility for your own actions.

[ 25. October 2006, 12:55: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banner Lady , it is with great sorrow that I must add my name to those voting against you. I put a great deal of thought and reasoning into this and came to the conclusions that you look far too much like competition for the attentions of the meagre number of presentable young men in this town.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

JJ has spent much of the night going over the recent events. She has listened to all the others casting their opinions and she had reached a decision. However, somewhere in the back of her mind was a thought niggling away at her; she could not put her finger on what that was until now.

And now, all of a sudden, Smudgie has reappeared...

JJ thinks and thinks...what about the graffiti.. why is no one mentioning it?...what about the man in the street cafe... finally she decides to speak out loud.

Banner Lady is innocent and should be saved.

<shame on my messy code>

[ 25. October 2006, 13:19: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------

Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

Little Stevie noticed the glint in the lady's eye from across the bar. "Is she looking at me?" , he thought, before realising he sounded like a bad Robert DeNiro impression. Well, who knows? The girl he'd come to find seemed to have vanished into thin air like the laughable plot device she always had been. Time to forget her and move on. Little Stevie smiled back, then turned his head away slightly, just enough that he wasn't looking in her direction, but could still see her out of the corner of his eye. As she adjusted her stocking and gave her hair a playful twist with her fingers, he knew it was time for action.

Crossing the room, he noticed a slight, sly smile on her face. Was Little Stevie's luck finally in? Was there finally something going right for him in this godforsaken town? Of course, he knew there was a good chance she was involved in gang violence - but hey, maybe sleeping with the enemy (metaphorically speaking) would help him stay safe...

Reaching the booth where she sat, Little Stevie prepared to charm her in his own special way...

"Oi, get yer coat love, you've pulled... [Biased] "

--------------------

Also by the same author

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016