homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia Part II: La Cosa Nova
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leonato:
Indeed, as things stand I think the mafia can easily prevent a lynching by splitting the vote or abstaining.

But why would the Mafia want to prevent a lynching... surely they just want people dead?

And actually, my vote was not deliberately in support of Banner Lady, but because I was also feeling most suspicious of the people who hadn't said much at all... lurking in the shadows... which is why I voted for you.

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Mafia surely want the n'drinu dead more than they want citizens dead. The n'drinu likewise want to take out the mafia more than anyone else, while the citizens need to be lynching as many gang members of either side as possible so they don't keep ending up as collateral damage.

I am unclear on how exactly the detective and the watchman can work behind the scenes to alter outcomes, but perhaps that is what has been happening? I don't really understand the lack of voting either except to say: hey, I get to live another day, so let's PARTaY!

Dorothy tapdances down the bar in her red shoes, the star on her headband nodding and twinkling happily as she does.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
I am unclear on how exactly the detective and the watchman can work behind the scenes to alter outcomes, but perhaps that is what has been happening?

The Watchman's action is simply a direct aid to the citizens in lowering the night-time death rate. The detective is able to garner knowledge about the guilt or innocence of individuals, and can use this when trying to influence others' voting.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
But why would the Mafia want to prevent a lynching... surely they just want people dead?

Because they don't one of their own number to be lynched, obviously. Or are you thinking 'Ndrinu as opposed to Mafia..?
quote:

And actually, my vote was not deliberately in support of Banner Lady, but because I was also feeling most suspicious of the people who hadn't said much at all... lurking in the shadows... which is why I voted for you.

Well you would say that, wouldn't you!

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gangster barman murdered after 'hit'
Cosenza Beach's gangland violence took a new turn last night. Two more local personalities were murdered, but police were able to disclose that one of them was a giovane d'onore working for the Calabrian mob, the 'Ndrangheta. The violence began around midnight when suspected 'Ndrinu gunmen tailed the local demagogue known as Wet Kipper home from Ezio's bar, where a fevered debate had nearly resulted in a local woman being lynched. Mr Kipper was shot 13 times in the back as he took a short cut to his apartment. However, it seems that the crime was witnessed, as one of the gunmen was himself followed. Ezio Basso, the proprietor of the bar where the victim had last been seen alive, was killed less than an hour after the Kipper killing.

Police ballistics experts confirmed that Ezio had been carrying a gun which matched at least some of the bullets used to kill Mr Kipper. Tired out by doing some real work, the police made a brief statement blaming the Mafia for the second killing. They then made for Pesto City in search of quieter doughnut stores.

Day breaks

Wet Kipper was killed in the night. He was a Citizen.
basso also came to a sticky end, and he was an 'Ndrinu.

The remaining players are:

Autenrieth Road
Banner Lady
Chelley
CuppaT
Izzybee
Lamb Chopped
Leonato
Linguo
nem
Pure Sunshine
Rugmaker
Smudgie
Zorro

Wet Kipper asked me to do a death scene for him - as reported above.

Nominations open once basso has posted his death scene, and remain open for 24 hours from the time of his post, or until we have 3 nominations.

Once either of those events occurs, the defence phase begins automatically, and lasts for a maximum of another 24 hours, after which voting begins.

If all the nominees end their defence early, voting begins immediately.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
Nominations open once basso has posted his death scene...

I should add that there's no reason not to post any old thing at any old time, especially in the day phase. Some of the speculation I've been seeing about distribution of roles, voting patterns and the like have been very interesting!

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a fine upstanding citizen that Kipper fellow was.

Shame on all you people who voted for him!!

[Two face] [Razz]

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I should add that there's no reason not to post any old thing at any old time, especially in the day phase. Some of the speculation I've been seeing about distribution of roles, voting patterns and the like have been very interesting!

Autumn picked her way past her discarded little black dress (slightly smaller than a dishrag), her discarded fishnet stockings, and her discarded dance shoes and picked up the early edition of the paper on her front stoop. The bright red advertising flyer on top of it caught her eye and she stood on the front stoop in her fluffy bunny slippers and Pooh pyjamas perusing it. Then she went inside to compose a letter to the editor.

"Dear Sir," she began, "the speculations might be very interesting, but we would like to know which of them are true. Signed, Confused of Cosenza Beach. P.S. mine are not any old postings, they are gems of literary merit [Razz] "

Then she wrote a letter to her twin sister Autenrieth in Maine.

"Dear Austin Teeth," she began with the childhood nickname, "things are very confusing down here. On the bad side: no police, no mayor, and now no bar! What is this town coming to??? On the good side: two Mafia and one 'Ndrangheta are dead. Remember to vote today. Love, Autumn Wreath."

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ezio sees the last customers out of the bar. It was a long shift tonight.

As he locks the door, he is stunned by a blow to the head. Unable to resist, he is dragged behind the bar. There's a crash as somebody knocks the top off the barrel of sweet white wine he had ordered for the big Masonic funeral. His last thought as his head is forced under is of how much he hates white wine.

Ezio - bartender and 'ndrinu - has offed his last innocent victim.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK I have to nominate Banner Lady , for the third time now?

She was good friends with basso and it all seems a bit too supsicious. Plus as she's lasted this long she may well live on again!

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate Zorro who does a great job of acting innocent, but could certainly be by random choice a Bad Guy, Gal or Dolphin two games in a row. He's been oddly quiet this game, too.

--------------------
Truth

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate Leonato again and declare the defense phase to have begun.

Let's recap. We have lost 4 citizens: Sir Kevin, Stevie, Wet Kipper & comet (who left town). We have lost 3 masons: Dr.Gumby, Merry Took & Eliab who declared nem to be a mason too. 2 Mafia, Dolphy & CJ, have committed suicide (or so we are led to believe). Basso is the only 'ndrinu to die so far.

Well, I am obviously not 'Ndrinu if you think I killed Basso. And if I was Mafia, why would Basso always vote for me? I am not a Mason, we all know that. So guess what that leaves, people: yes, Dorothy is an innocent abroad in this big bad city, just as she has told you all along.

Dorothy sat weeping into her milkshake. She had liked working for Dr.Gumby, and she had liked working for Ezio. It was horrible that he had died and even more horrible to find out he had an underworld connection. She only hoped her landlady would understand if her rent wasn't paid on time this week. But who could even think about job-hunting with so much horror happening all around? She just couldn't wrap her head around the situation. If only she could see a way forward. If only she could think straight. "Oh," said Dorothy to the scarecrow outside the produce store, "I'm sure I could work things out if I only had a brain!"

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Autumn applauds Nurse Dorothy's eloquent defense. Perhaps she should declare a rent amnesty for a week; she senses everyone in town is going to be distracted trying to work out who's what this week and easily forget to put their checks in the mail; and she might as well make a virtue of necessity. Rent or no rent, there's a flaw in Barmaid Dorothy's logic.
quote:
Originally posted by alleged criminal Banner Lady:
Well, I am obviously not 'Ndrinu if you think I killed Basso.

Everything else hangs together, Unemployed Dorothy, except this part. Maybe you are 'Ndrinu (which explains why Basso always voted against lynching you), and one of the remaining Mafia (if there are any left) killed Basso last night.

Do we know how many 'Ndrinus and Mafias there were to start with?

Worn out by having to point out the unpleasant truth to one of her best tenants (even if everyone she works for does end up getting killed, and even if she'd turned her nose up at all Autumn's best apartment stock, Dorothy BL had been good with the rent so far), Autumn sits down on a park bench and waits, again, for the rest of the accused to show up and account for themselves.

--------------------
Truth

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roger is confused (again). It seemed that all you could be certain of in this town was your own innocence and that this week's special offer on $49.99 hearth rugs (all colours available, ideal funeral gifts) was unbeatable.

No more innocents should be allowed to die, that much was clear. But the only way to ensure that was to make sure that the mafia and N'drinu got what they deserved. For Banner Lady to be nominated so often someone surely knew something - wasn't there a detective around here? But that Zorro character was very suspicious too - a naturally outgoing person, it seemed, why would he be so quiet if he had nothing to hide. Perhpas they're both bad guys and the citizens should concentrate on making sure at least one of them got lynched rather than splitting their loyalties again? What to do, what to do?

Get your rugs here!

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Well, I am obviously not 'Ndrinu if you think I killed Basso. And if I was Mafia, why would Basso always vote for me?

Well I assume it was the 'Ndrinu who killed the noble Wet Kipper (and who did he nominate twice?), and the mafia who knocked off Basso, presumably because they correctly guessed that he was 'Ndrinu, and he always supported you...

Now to my defence. I have already correctly accused one person of being an 'Ndrinu, and he is now dead, so there is no way that I can be one of them.

I might be one of the (two?) remaining mafia of course, and I can only say to that possibility that I am not one of them and I am an innocent citizen, and urge other citizens not to split the vote, and ensure we get the lynching we need to protect our town.

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well if I am not mafia or n'drinu as I most honestly claim; and you, Leonato, are not mafia or n'drinu we had better hear what Zorro has to say for himself. Where is that masked man?

--------------------

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
a naturally outgoing person, it seemed,
Me? Outgoing? The guy who sleeps in the lorry depot on the outskirts of town? Wrong guy mate-I'd never set foot in Basso's bar.

Yeah, you're right BL-I have been quiet. Frankly, that's because interacting with society makes me feel ill. It's why I'm here, in the depot. Alone. If you think I'm planning-go for it. You're only condemning yoursleves.

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This game is getting waaaaaay too confusing. Why all these Mafia/'Ndrinu suicides? I thought suicide was just for when you didn't want to play any longer, but Comet shut up shop and Kipper (I assume) 'volunteered' to be murdered as he is away IRL. Whereas the only suicides we have had have been from gangsters.

What is the suicide function for, then?

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
This game is getting waaaaaay too confusing. Why all these Mafia/'Ndrinu suicides? I thought suicide was just for when you didn't want to play any longer, but Comet shut up shop and Kipper (I assume) 'volunteered' to be murdered as he is away IRL. Whereas the only suicides we have had have been from gangsters.

What is the suicide function for, then?

Suicide is simply a way of quitting. Comet chose to be less spectacular in her departure, but the mechanism is essentially the same. Perhaps the Mafia have some reason for dramatic suicide as a means of leaving play, but if so, they haven't told me. No 'Ndrinu has committed suicide.

Unless I'm seriously missing something, Kipper didn't volunteer publically to be killed. So unless he had some private way of telling the gangsters - which I doubt - it was just a coincidence that he was murdered that night.

In answer to Autenrieth Road's question no (explicit) information was given about how many gangsters there were to start with. It's possible to deduce upper and lower limits from information in the thread, though.

T.

[ 08. November 2006, 13:33: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Izzy shook her head as she learned of the latest murders. At least while she had been sick she had gotten to know Banner Lady a little better, and was now convinced of her innocence.

But there were still bad guys out there - how could she sleep at night knowing that?

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
No 'Ndrinu has committed suicide.

Well, could they hurry it up and do so please? Sheesh.

Autumn thought longingly of the halcyon days as a consultant in Pesto City, when she viewed the mayhem from a distance and didn't have to make serious choices about voting. Still, if the USA could succeed in throwing out several of the bums (this is the Circus so I won't say which bums), maybe Cosenza Beach would be able to win through in the end.

--------------------
Truth

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

quote:
No 'Ndrinu has committed suicide.

Unless I'm seriously missing something, Kipper didn't volunteer publically to be killed. So unless he had some private way of telling the gangsters - which I doubt - it was just a coincidence that he was murdered that night.

I forgot that Basso had to post a death scene - I assumed it was suicide, forgot he had been murdered.

As for Kipper, I thought it was something to do with the fact that he said (in the Administrators' Shore Leave thread in the Styx) that he was offlining for a few days. I thought he might have asked you, Teufelchen, to let the Mafia know that killing him might be a good idea.

This game has a way of making you paranoid ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the voting phase must have started now, right? Not that I have any idea who to vote for, obviously - I alternate between thinking everyone is innocent and pretty much everyone is mafia or N'drunu.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That masked man - he's a dodgy character to be sure. I am going to have to vote for him. Zorro killed my sister, I know now for sure, and I've yet to see a leopard change their spots. I vote for Zorro.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Autumn woke up early and decided to have a go-round of the candidates.

First she tracked down Dorothy Banner Lady, who bought her a milkshake. (But was that her own honestly earned money, or had BL been moonlighting as a hitwoman?)

Then she went to visit Leonato, who showed her lovely slides of a hill trip. (But had he really taken them, or just downloaded them off the internet?)

Then she found Stationmaster Zorro, straightening schedules in the depot. (Was he glad to see her, or was that just a gun in his pocket?)

As unsure as ever, she decided to stick by her original nomination.

I vote for Zorro.

--------------------
Truth

Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie
quote:
I've yet to see a leopard change their spots.
Be prepared to be amazed.

I vote Leonato-because I know I'm just a citizen.

--------------------
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Izzy was faced with yet another choice. Still convinced of Banner Lady's innocence, she knew her vote had to be for Leonato or Zorro.

Still being new in town, and not being an intensely social being, preferring to spend her nights alone, she didn't know too much about either of them, but she knew that a lynching was going to have to happen to prevent more murders.

She rlectantly casts her vote for Zorro, knowing that sometimes, sadly, an answer is the only way to stay alive.

--------------------

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

I think I'll stick with voting for Banner Lady again. Third time lucky??

--------------------

Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

My hunch (and that is all it is) is still that bth BL and Zorro are guilty, so in the interests if getting one of them, I vote for

Zorro

--------------------

nem
Shipmate
# 11108

- Posted      Profile for nem   Email nem   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not so sure that Zorro is guilty, otherwise he played an interesting game at the start. Hence I vote Banner Lady.
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopeless. I wrote a long thing in character, but deleted it all. This is a game of psychology and psyching each other out. There is a detective, I think, and he is bound to be one of those who is stating to sound certain of himself/herself. For now, I will vote against Zorro who started out strong, but withdrew to silence, except when called directly. I have my suspicions otherwise, but no certainties about anything.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I vote for Zorro.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chelley had been pondering the party now that the Barman was dead... what could they do, could they still go ahead, would that be totally out of the question, who was going to run the bar now? What crap timing (not that Ezio would have considered any time convenient to be killed... )
And while she tried to get her head round all that she decided to vote for Zorro.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

(I was at the hospital all night the night before last, and slept most of yesterday - apologies for my absence. Panic over now.)

Voting ends

As there are now 13 of you (dum dum DUM!), 7 in favour of a particular victim is a majority, and seven of you have now voted for Zorro: Autenrieth Road, Banner Lady, Chelley, CuppaT, Izzybee, Rugmaker and Smudgie.

I therefore declare Zorro to have been lynched. Zorro was, sadly, a Citizen, and should post an appropriately tragic death scene shortly.

Night falls

Players with night actions should take them.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
"That's some fine Italian, 'mam. Excellent structural usage, and good, strong vocab. My congratulations."

He leaves, and curses in French at being scratched by a cat. The legion taught you a lot of things. Stealth, cunning...cusses. He decided to let the cat live.

This time.

Ever since this, I've always known Zorro to be a decent sort - honestly, you people!!! [Razz]

Though my cat is finally sleeping peacefully now.

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aaargh! Sorry, Zorro.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

Private Eye Put Out
Two more gangland murders rocked Cosenza Beach last night. In separate incidents, Luce Pura and Izzybee were killed shortly after midnight. Luce Pura was an upstanding Citizen, and admirably outspoken on the subject of the recent attacks. Incidents of this type have been very common here lately, and it seems that the mobsters' activity had attracted some attention. It seems from Izzybee's papers that she was in fact an undercover private Detective, trying to identify members of the two gangs which are plaguing the town. The local police were unavailable for comment on the death of someone who seems to have been more diligent in tracking gangsters than they are.

Day breaks
Izzybee the Detective and Pure Sunshine the innocent citizen were killed in the night.

The remaining characters are Autenrieth Road, Banner Lady, Chelley, CuppaT, Lamb Chopped, leonato, Linguo, nem, Rugmaker, and Smudgie. As there are ten of you, 6 votes, or 5 without coherent opposition, will be enough to lynch someone. As ever, nominations start once both death scenes have been posted.

T.

[ 10. November 2006, 14:14: Message edited by: Teufelchen ]

--------------------
Little devil

nem
Shipmate
# 11108

It would appear this town only allows the corrupt and murderers to live, won't be long until all the innocent and sent to their doom, especially as we are now without our detective! It appears that Miss Izzybee knew something we didn't about Miss Banner Lady though, as she has been adiment of her innocence, therefore I shall stop trying to get her lynched.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Sorrow, oh Zorro. I misjudged you. A leopard can change its spots after all, it seems, and I was one of those who harrassed you to an untimely death. I am full of remorse. Can you ever forgive me? [Waterworks]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

Both an eventful and fruitful night of work for Izzy, and as she runs back to her Mothers house, she is desperate to get the word out somehow. As she plans how best to do this, a figure steps out from the shadows of the front porch, grabs her, and marches her down to the library - somewhere she had been seem many times before - about the only place in this town where people would know who she was.

"This is what happens to girls who know too much" a softly spoken person says - someone who Izzy realizes is a prominent citizen - someone who had been involved in the recent lynchings themselves!

As Izzy faced her fate, she thinks to herself of the strange sting of Shakespeare quotes. Hah! She had one for them now!

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;"

She had done some good in her short time in this town, but it would be buried with her. Such a shame.

A single gunshot pierces the night.

--------------------

leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

Sorry Zorro, for falsely accusing you, and also that I would have voted for your lynching (had I not lost internet connectivity last night).

And sorry also to Banner Lady, whose innocence is confirmed by the now deceased detective. Sadly though the detective seems not to have known about anyone's guilt, unless I am missing something.

Right, now off to try and deduce who the real guilty parties are...

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

Luce Pura can't sleep. Fear had driven her into the depths of mob justice, and she had accused an innocent man of murder. His eloquent testimony had convinced her to spare his life, and they had succeeded - just. And then all that had come crashing down with his murder the very next day.

And Zorro - she had always known that he was innocent, despite his temptations towards felicide, and annoying habit of breaking into people's homes. This town was descending into mass murder. Wasn't there anything for kids to do here, other than lynch people?

She picks up
Wuthering Heights, her favourite novel, and reads a few chapters. Balance is restored to her world, and she falls asleep.

Her sleep is broken by a faint cry.

Luce gets up to check. The noise is coming from the other side of the window.

She lives on the 12th floor.

She sees a shadow on the other side of the window. For a moment she doesn't know where she is, and wonders if it is the ghost of Catherine, clawing to get in. Then she remembers she is not in a cold house on the moors, but in Cosenza Beach. She opens the window.

The masked figure extends his hand.

"Ah, Luce Pura del Sole, daughter of the double-glazing multi-millionaire Francesco del Sole?" He grins evilly. "Daddy's windows can't save you now ..."

Luce comes to her senses and shuts the window, but the bullet flies through anyway, leaving not just blood but also fractured glass splattered all over the floor.

As the sun rises, the cat gets up and struts into the living room, carefully avoiding the broken glass. His little bowl is empty. He starts mewing pitifully.

Why isn't anyone feeding him today?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:

As for Kipper, I thought it was something to do with the fact that he said (in the Administrators' Shore Leave thread in the Styx) that he was offlining for a few days. I thought he might have asked you, Teufelchen, to let the Mafia know that killing him might be a good idea.

not quite.

before I left, I warned Teuf I would be going, so asked for him to post a death scene for me, should I be "got" whilst I was away. I did not volunteer for it, (though some may say I was "asking for it" [Frown] )

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

Whilst you read this, put on this song. It's kinda fitting.

As Zorro polished his gun in the cabin of his tanker, he noticed the crowd arriving in their trucks, with banners. They looked pretty pissed. Of course, there were some exceptions-apathy always plays a part in the tragic mistakes of a "democratic" process.

They killed him. Didn't seem sorry-just kept going on about revenge or something. He could understand that. If he ever got the chance, he'd be taking out ex-mafia members.

Still, that's just how humans are he supposed, his soul floating off to the bad fire-at last, somewhere warm.

They cremate him, and his ashes drift out into the royal blue twilight, a poignant reminder of how desperate the need to get their damned asses together and start killing some mafia.

Then, the ashes settle, a pattern perhaps. Who knows, it seems to spell something out though...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IT'S TIME TO START TAKING THE BAD GUYS OUT PEOPLE!!!! AND TO BL'S CAT-I'LL GET YOU IN THE AFTERLIFE.

It always seemed interesting how much ash you get from a person as insignificant as Zorro. They'd seen it often enough.

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

Mrs. Cuppy takes a rare moment to sit down in the middle of the day. A good cup of tea now and then helps one to think. Do we have to nominate 3 people? Rhetorical question. If only one or two get nominated and we let the time run out, then there will be less of a chance of spreading the votes too thin.

Now, Izzy said one of the bad guys was involved in recent lynchings, and that person also was a prominent citizen. Leonato missed the last vote, so although it does not mean he is innocent, it probably means he is not the one that Izzy was talking about. Nem is a Mason, and BL has been declared innocent. Chelly and AR are both prominent, and both voted for Zorro, whom the thugs would know is innocent. Rugmaker and Smudgie pipe up now and then, but they have not been as prominent.

I will take the bull by the horns and nominate Autumn (Autenrieth Road).

Mrs. Cuppy makes one more decision. She packs up two sample boxes of truffles and sets out for a walk. She goes to the house of Linguo, rings the bell, and offers her a pretty box of chocolates. Just a neighborly visit to see if Linguo is all right, since she has not been heard from for the last two votes, she declares. “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country”, she says. “We need to hear from you.” Then Mrs. Cuppy sets her hat straight and walks around the corner to Lambchopped’s house. She makes her friendly good-will offering, and encourages Lamby to speak up, too.

Mrs. Cuppy walks home. Hrmph. Only nine others left, and probably at least two of them are thugs.

--------------------
~Elder Sophrony

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Dorothy sat glumly at the cafe table stabbing at the bubbles in her milkshake with a straw. The police tape had been removed from Ezio's Bar now, and she noticed her landladys' green jag was parked outside. She guessed that some more prime real estate was up for grabs.

The citizens of Cosenza Beach were very subdued. Three more innocent (if slightly strange) people had been murdered overnight and Dorothy knew that her vote was responsible for yet another life being snuffed out. Rumours were that one of the dead had been an undercover detective. It seemed that half the people left in the town belonged to a gang of some sort. She shuddered, and went back to looking though the employment section of the Cosenza Circus. Things were not looking good.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Autumn was shaken out of her brown study in her green jag by the sound of a small woman followed by twelve children carrying a folder labelled in very large letters "Nomination Papers" marching past.

How ironic that CuppaT and I were both apparently considering Detective Izzybee's dying words, trying to determine if there's a secret message in them or just local colour. CuppaT thinks there's a message; I don't see on practical reasons how there can be and think it was Izzybee making her death scene dramatic.

I was parked in front of Ezio's Bar trying to figure out how the Mafia and 'Ndrinu think. For now, I've been assuming the posters who are posting a lot are, like me, Citizens trying to work out who the Bad People are. So far all the Bad People we've seen have been middle-of-the-road -- posting just enough to seem to care about their civic duty, but not enough to actually find anyone out.

There are several people who fit that bill, but by Eliabsson's initial analysis, all we can do is go with hoping for probabilities. And we citizens have to act.

I nominate Rugmaker.

After submitting her own nomination papers of the enigmatic rugseller at the Town Clerk's office, Autumn stopped at the codes office to find out the feasibility of opening up a soup kitchen in half of Ezio's Former Bar, to be served by students at the cordon bleu Zorro Memorial Cooking School she proposed to establish in the other half. Maybe that would assuage the guilt she felt at having unfairly suspected him.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

On the way out of the town hall, Autumn stopped to slip a note into the Questions & Suggestions box:

Teufelchen, do the nominations and defense phases continue in solely 24 hours chunks over the weekend? Or do they get extended as if Sat. and Sun. don't exist, except that defense can begin as soon as 3 nominations have been made, if that happens sooner?

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Just in case the nominations 24 hours ends abruptly as clock hours instead of ignoring weekend days, I would add that I disagree that fewer nominations is better.

If you look at the record of voting over the last four rounds, what has caused lynchings to fail has been people abstaining from voting. Not the number of nominees. (Note in the first round e.g. Zorro had 0 votes; and in the second round Banner Lady unopposed was not lynched -- a good thing as it turns out.)

And it's only if people are nominated that we can air and share our opinions about the relative evidence, and increase the chances of us catching a Mafia or 'Ndrinu in our net.

Consider the limiting case of just one nominee, as I gather CuppaT wanted: then it becomes a straight up-or-down vote on that person (me, she says, trying to look stoic [Disappointed] ). But odds are that any one person is a plain Citizen (because if the Mafia/'Ndrinu outnumbered us, Teufelchen would have declared the game over), so having just one person to vote on pretty much guarantees we won't catch a Bad Guy.

So now we have two nominees (no, no, don't thank me, really, it was my pleasure [Roll Eyes] ), but it would be better to have three because I'd like to hear what thoughts people have on other people who might be Mafia/Ndrinu. And sooner rather than later, before we're all murdered in our beds.

--------------------
Truth

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
Chelly and AR are both prominent

I have never been called a prominent citizen before. [Yipee]
I suspect though it wasn't said in quite the same complementary way as I'm imagining to hear it? Oh well, and just to add that I've tended to be more suspicious of those who are saying very little (hiding in the shadows) and so because of that I am nominating Linguo.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016