homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Religious Pluralism (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Religious Pluralism
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was in the yesterday's edition of my paper. I found it incredibly encouraging and shall have to seek out his book, mentioned in the last paragraph, and look out for his next when it is published.

Coincidentally we are currently seeking a particular image of Lord Ganapati, or Ganesh or Vinayaka as you please, to go in our new house, when it is finished. It will, of course, go by the main door, as I am sure David Hart meant. I have a rather beautiful modern one on my desk as I type this.

[ 02. January 2007, 19:40: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh really! He ought to reliquish his Anglican orders and go do his things with the UUs, or perhaps he'd find a place amongst the Society of Friends, but this man has no place amongst the clergy of an orthodox Christian communion.

Actually, I think he ought to be deposed, if this report is accurate.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dan the Man
Apprentice
# 11768

- Posted      Profile for Dan the Man   Email Dan the Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed...as a reverand, thats a big step.

"God is the same irrespective of whether you pray to him in a temple, church or mosque,"

I have nothing but respect for a man who will show his faith in God by having different experiences. Might check out the book myself.

--------------------
And it was goood

Posts: 34 | From: Leicestershire | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the Man:
"God is the same irrespective of whether you pray to him in a temple, church or mosque,"

This is of course true.

I'm not sure that all of the worshippers in those temples, churches and mosques have the same conception of what it is they are praying to though...

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. Do you actually think that Ganesh is a real, divine entity? If he is, do Jesus and he get along? Or is Ganesh just Jesus in an elephant suit? Or are Jesus and Ganesh actually something else: one disguised as a first century jew, the other disguised as a large Proboscidean?
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To expand, here is a set of propositions for UU and Society of Friends types [Biased]

We should:

- recognise as fellow travellers and worshippers of the true God all those who seek to walk in the light of Love

- reject the teachings of those who declare the nature of God to be other than that of Love, whether they do so in the name of Christianity or another religious tradition

- be mindful not to fall into the trap of appropriating other people's traditions into our own metanarrative rather than letting them tell their own stories

Do these propositions apply? And if so, how does this affect Anglican priests with statues of Ganesh?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
This was in the yesterday's edition of my paper. I found it incredibly encouraging and shall have to seek out his book, mentioned in the last paragraph, and look out for his next when it is published.

He must have a neck like that elephant idol, otherwise how could he stand with such a humongous millstone tied to it? Oh wait, now he has fallen to his knees. But hold on, it's just to worship blasphemously. Something seems to be carrying his millstone for him. It's hard to see what it is... a serpent?! Must be another Hindu deity, I guess. [Projectile] [Devil] [brick wall]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m.t-tomb:
Interesting. Do you actually think that Ganesh is a real, divine entity? If he is, do Jesus and he get along? Or is Ganesh just Jesus in an elephant suit? Or are Jesus and Ganesh actually something else: one disguised as a first century jew, the other disguised as a large Proboscidean?

Thanks for this. You point up in the most charming and humourous way the heresies involved for an orthodox Christian in this type of thinking.
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:

Thanks for this. You point up in the most charming and humourous way the heresies involved for an orthodox Christian in this type of thinking.
The negative comments on this thread don't seem at all charming and humorous to me, but curiously extreme. I smell hate.

I've actually met David Hart. He's a serious, thoughtful and very well informed man, and a typically 'nice' Anglican vicar.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

Look, Catholic Christianity esteems that which is true, good and beautiful in all faiths, but that doesn't change the unique verity of the Catholic Christian Faith and our commission to make disciples of all...baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why are you having a go at someone who clearly sees it differently? Your claim to 'unique verity' seems not only to be a claim to be the only ones who are right, but to be a reason to attack those who disagree.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

I've no interest in attacking those who disagree. But this man is a Christian priest, whose ordination vows are to teach the Gospel, not to perpetuate confusion and error amongst the Christian faithful by making a spectacle of himself with elephantine pagan deities.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hatless

(Respect to your recently changed sig BTW. Part of the story of my life.)

A question for you. Do you see a difference between inter-faith dialogue and inter-faith worship? (I include prayer in worship because prayers are offered to God). I'm fine with dialogue but inter-faith worship seems to me, to put it at its mildest, very confusing. I think that's the standard Anglican line anyway so there must be some issue of church order for David Hart. Of course that is a matter between him and his bishop.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words fail me ... which is probably just as well because if I did find the words I think I would be permanently banned from the Ship.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a layperson on the outermost fringes of Christianity, I don't really feel qualified to comment with any kind of authority on David Hart's approach. But I do find it a little baffling. I think I could understand it better if the other faith had been Judaism or Islam. There are connections between those and Christianity (although of course there are huge differences also) and they at least share a similar general notion of what 'God' means. However, how a person can profess a Christian faith and then also profess worship to a Hindu god is a mystery to me. There just doesn't seem to be any connection between the two, at least not from a Christian perspective. Perhaps a Hindu would appreciate what Mr Hart is doing more readily since I believe Hindus added Jesus to their respected gods at some point? So perhaps Mr Hart is attempting to reach across mindsets rather than faiths?

I'm not critising David Hart. I'm simply confused yet somewhat intrigued by his approach.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
hatless

(Respect to your recently changed sig BTW. Part of the story of my life.)

A question for you. Do you see a difference between inter-faith dialogue and inter-faith worship? (I include prayer in worship because prayers are offered to God). I'm fine with dialogue but inter-faith worship seems to me, to put it at its mildest, very confusing. I think that's the standard Anglican line anyway so there must be some issue of church order for David Hart. Of course that is a matter between him and his bishop.

People often try to draw a line between dialogue and actual inter-faith worship. I've little experience of inter-faith worship. If two communities tried to devise some sort of hybrid activity I should think it could become unpleasantly confusing, even if there was boundless goodwill. Meaning is given by the traditions of the community, and to have two communities would mean everything would have ambiguous meanings. However, within Hinduism there is a very eclectic approach to worship. Pictures of Jesus may be found in Hindu temples. And within Christianity we are pretty adaptable, too. We use light, music of various styles, pagan Yuletide symbols, processions, all sorts of cultural signifiers, and sacred places (often taken over from prior usage).

Gregory won't like this, but an Indian friend suggested that the Orthodox doctrine of the Trinity is helpfully encouraging to syncretism, because it says the Spirit proceeds from just the Father. If the Spirit does not 'wear the name' of Jesus, then there is greater liberty to see the Spirit's activity in other faiths, under a different name. In an Indian context where Christianity finds it natural to put on Indian clothes this is very useful.

I wouldn't know what to do with a statue of Ganesh - it isn't really something you can just borrow to spice up worship, because it is so embedded in another tradition, and as I've said, the meeting of traditions is fraught. But, for example, the Hindu wedding practice of putting henna decorations on the hands is the sort of thing that could be taken up and reinterpreted in a Christian context.

(My new sig isn't supposed to be quite as cheeky as it may look. It's meant to complement Mudfrog's 'Every Green Bus Drives Fast.' As musicians will recognise, this is a mnemonic for the notes on the lines of the stave (more traditionally Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit). FACE are the notes in the spaces!)

--------------------

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those with short memories, Catweazle, the big matey of Cant, before being enthroned dressed up as a Druid priest so that his friends could honour him. So if the big matey as head of Anglican can dress up as a pagan priest, why should we be surprised with an Anglican little matey placing a pagan image outside his house and offer prayers. His is only hedging his bets on salvation.

--------------------
give back to God what He gives so it is used for His glory not ours.

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by the coiled spring:
For those with short memories, Catweazle, the big matey of Cant, before being enthroned dressed up as a Druid priest so that his friends could honour him. So if the big matey as head of Anglican can dress up as a pagan priest, why should we be surprised with an Anglican little matey placing a pagan image outside his house and offer prayers. His is only hedging his bets on salvation.

What exactly are you talking about?
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In all fairness to Rowen I'm pretty sure that the 'Druidism' that he was/is involved in is a poetry and bardism rather than Pagainism per se.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is some information about the Gorsedd and the Eisteddfod. Suffice it to say that the Gorsedd is not pagan. If you want an analogy, think of it like being given a knighthood (only without the unpleasant militaristic overtones [Biased] ).

[ 28. August 2006, 10:27: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Hatless

quote:
Gregory won't like this, but an Indian friend suggested that the Orthodox doctrine of the Trinity is helpfully encouraging to syncretism, because it says the Spirit proceeds from just the Father. If the Spirit does not 'wear the name' of Jesus, then there is greater liberty to see the Spirit's activity in other faiths, under a different name. In an Indian context where Christianity finds it natural to put on Indian clothes this is very useful.
It is not a question of me not liking it ... it's just a complete misunderstanding of the Orthodox doctrine of the Trinity. One can no more prize apart the Spirit and Christ as one can the Spirit and the Father or the Father and the Son. The Spirit's role is transforming us into the true icon of God, Christ, is quite, quite clear from the Scriptures and Tradition. Your friend confuses timeless origin and economic operation ... a not unheard of approach in the west ... itself based on a filioquist confusion.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hatless

Thanks for the explanation of your sig. I'm oddly disappointed, thought you were declaring a genuine missionary aim ....

The really serious issue is syncretism. I'm not sure whether this is legendary, but I remember hearing some stuff about the early church (prior to the Synod of Whitby) that they were quite happy to arrange to meet together (after "missioning" in different places) in ancient, Druidic, places of worship. They would simply put up a cross in the place and worship there as Christians. I suppose another trite example is the star on top of the Christmas tree. The key idea appears to be "redeem, but there is no need to destroy". Both of these examples show that folks have drawn the line in different places but there is some sort of a line to be drawn.

There is little doubt that the tradition is anti-syncretistic, whether you are Catholic, Orthodox or Reformist. That in itself is no reason for hatred of others. But David Hart crossed a line which I could not cross. My personal guideline is that "Jaw, jaw, jaw is better than war, war, war, but it is not the same as adore, adore, adore".

And I also think his behaviour may have crossed a church order line. Is there an Anglican out there who knows enough about this to point to the current guidelines/advice/laws?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Indeed, there is an Anglican Church canon which requires clergy to use only those forms of service authorised by canon. However, if Hart is part of the Church of North / South India he might have different rules governing this. Does he live and work in India?

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
He's a serious, thoughtful and very well informed man, and a typically 'nice' Anglican vicar.

I'm sure Arius was also a serious, thoughtful and very well informed man. But I keep forgetting that Christian revelation occured in three stages:
  1. Moses: "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Exodus 20:2-6, RSV)
  2. Christ: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him." (John 14:6-7, RSV)
  3. Anglicans: "Whatever. Another gin & tonic?"

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

By hatless:
quote:
The negative comments on this thread don't seem at all charming and humorous to me, but curiously extreme. I smell hate.
Extreme? Surely not? Hate? No. Just embarrassment. I actually feel ashamed to share the same office as the man. What a ridiculous individual.
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Extreme? Surely not? Hate? No. Just embarrassment. I actually feel ashamed to share the same office as the man. What a ridiculous individual.

It might be worth noting that if I lived in a parish with a priest who thought and spoke as you do here, I would have similar thoughts about him or her.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

- Posted      Profile for the coiled spring   Author's homepage   Email the coiled spring   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young Dave Marshall, one question, why would you be embarrassed
How many gods should we allow in our lives.
Have always found teachings of Krishna on the battlefield decidely suspect.
In Wembley Park, an Anglican church often hires its church hall for Hindi celebration on the pretext it needs the money. Was told by one of the senior memembers of the church there is no problem as their gods are the same as the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob.
Anything for a quiet life.

[ 28. August 2006, 13:06: Message edited by: the coiled spring ]

--------------------

Posts: 2359 | From: mountain top retreat lodge overlooking skegness | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Here is some information about the Gorsedd and the Eisteddfod. Suffice it to say that the Gorsedd is not pagan. If you want an analogy, think of it like being given a knighthood (only without the unpleasant militaristic overtones [Biased] ).

Queen Elizabeth II (when heir to the throne) became a member of the Gorsedd in August 1946. [Photo in Dermot Morrah: Princess Elizabeth, 1947, at p.123. I have failed to find any online link other than a listing of correspondence relating to this event.]

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear The Coiled Spring

.... sadly I think it more likely that they actually believe it.

[ 28. August 2006, 13:20: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh really! He ought to reliquish his Anglican orders and go do his things with the UUs, or perhaps he'd find a place amongst the Society of Friends, but this man has no place amongst the clergy of an orthodox Christian communion.

And you're in charge of this, how? btw, what makes you think that we Quakers would pray using an idol?

sabine

[ 28. August 2006, 13:23: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He seems like a good bloke to me.

Anmyone secure enough in their own faith has nothing to fear from the faiths of others and much to learn.

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:

To expand, here is a set of propositions for UU and Society of Friends types [Biased]

We should:

- recognise as fellow travellers and worshippers of the true God all those who seek to walk in the light of Love

- reject the teachings of those who declare the nature of God to be other than that of Love, whether they do so in the name of Christianity or another religious tradition

- be mindful not to fall into the trap of appropriating other people's traditions into our own metanarrative rather than letting them tell their own stories

Do these propositions apply? And if so, how does this affect Anglican priests with statues of Ganesh?

Good set of propositions. As a Friend, I would probably take out the word "should" since one basis of our perspective is direction from the Divine Light (or Spirit) as individually revealed--the Light, incidently, shines in each of us, so by denying others the right to express themselves as they are led, we are denying the Spirit.

That's my take on your questions.

As already mentioned, we wouldn't use idols for worship....unless so led [Smile]

sabine

[ 28. August 2006, 13:33: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
quote:

And you're in charge of this, how? btw, what makes you think that we Quakers would pray using an idol?

sabine

Well, actually it seems to have been one of your co-religionists who started this provocative thread, most likely as a wind-up to orthodox Christians. I do think this misguided presbyter would be well placed in the ministry of the UUC. As to the Friends, I only plead the observation that your Society seems to embrace a diversity of opinion, some a bit closer to the Christian Church, and some closer to the UUs, and that the OPer identifies as Quaker.
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Matey, I'm not saying I understand the Hindu connection. I was commenting on the parallel between m.t's rather extreme variant of conservative evangelicalism and David Hart's alternative at another edge of the theological spectrum.

I'm personally probably at yet another theological extreme within the Church, but I try to make a point of remembering that we all might be wrong and that Hart may simply be further down the road of understanding than I am.

So while I consider m.t's views often unhelpful, sometimes potentially damaging, and usually plain wrong, however much of a disservice I think they do to the office of priest I'll do my best to avoid dismissing him personally in the way he seems happy to do with David Hart.

the coiled spring
Shipmate
# 2872

How do you know that 'Gorsedd y Beirdd' at National Eisteddfod is not pagan. What is at the centre of, who are prayers said to. The fact that Catweazle felt the need to dress as a pagan priests so he could be honoured is more then suspect. I notice at latest Eisteddford thingy he did not get clogged up. Would Christ have got dressed as a pagan priest to be honoured.
Lizzie would have been about 20 at the time and would have been told to by the establishment.
Maybe we should have a prayer meeting to pray the red dragon out of the Welsh flag sometime

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
He's a serious, thoughtful and very well informed man, and a typically 'nice' Anglican vicar.

I'm sure Arius was also a serious, thoughtful and very well informed man. But I keep forgetting that Christian revelation occured in three stages:
  1. Moses: "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Exodus 20:2-6, RSV)
  2. Christ: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him." (John 14:6-7, RSV)
  3. Anglicans: "Whatever. Another gin & tonic?"

Dear IngoB,

the first two propostions heartily agreed to. As to number three, well you will know already that I take your point; however, I think it's wrong to tar all Anglicans with the same brush, and some of us who remain in the CoE/Anglican Communion are obviously not at all cavalier about maintaining orthodoxy and discountenancing gross heresy.

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
quote:

Matey, I'm not saying I understand the Hindu connection. I was commenting on the parallel between m.t's rather extreme variant of conservative evangelicalism and David Hart's alternative at another edge of the theological spectrum.

I'm personally probably at yet another theological extreme within the Church, but I try to make a point of remembering that we all might be wrong and that Hart may simply be further down the road of understanding than I am.

So while I consider m.t's views often unhelpful, sometimes potentially damaging, and usually plain wrong, however much of a disservice I think they do to the office of priest I'll do my best to avoid dismissing him personally in the way he seems happy to do with David Hart.

Gee, I would've thought it was Dave Hart whose ideas and practice were doing harm to the office of priest, and indeed to the whole evangelical and catholic ministry of the Church of England and the Worldwide Anglican Communion; not m.t.'s.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not post this hoping in any way to wind people up but because I read the article and found it interesting. I thought it might lead to a similarly interesting discussion here but I see that in the majority reasoned argument is out of the window and what I shall politely describe as firmly held views of entrenched positions are to the fore.

I suppose I'm not surprised, but I am saddened.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
quote:

It might be worth noting that if I lived in a parish with a priest who thought and spoke as you do here, I would have similar thoughts about him or her.
I think that this is quite close to a personal attack.
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

WW, I'd like to discuss this with you.

I don't think any of us can "describe" God. Even the picture of God that most of us saw in the bible when we were about 9 years old is simply an artist's creation.

Therefore, I see no problem with a person having an object to focus on when praying at home. And I see no problem in acknowledging that people of other faiths and other cultures may have a "traditional" image of God that they use.

Those who are campaigning for "Christian unity" might ask themselves which image of God is going to stand once that unity is achieved? Or, more to the point, can that unity be achieved without an argument about whose image of God is the correct one?

Those of us who allow for spiritual paths being unique probably have less angst when it comes to seeing a picture of a priest engaging in a ritual using a statue of God as revealed through a different culture.

As for your own choice....if you want to have a statue in your home, I think that's fine, even though historically Friends have not had statues in the Meetinghouse. If your statue comes from another culture, that's not only fine, it's interesting.

I personally think we have a lot to learn about God by seeing God through the eyes of people who are not just like us.

Common ground is a very iteresting place--and bigger than we think.

sabine

--------------------

Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Anmyone secure enough in their own faith has nothing to fear from the faiths of others and much to learn.

But which faith, exactly, does he profess? I can't tell from that article whether he's a Hindu, a Christian or a Muslim. Seems he doesn't know either.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps we should learn from Rumi – a Sufi Muslim: All religions,
all this singing,
is one song.
The differences are just
illusion and vanity.
The sun’s light looks a little different
on this wall than it does on that wall. but it’s still one light.
For those in love,
Moslem, Christian, and Jew do not exist.
Why listen to those who see it another way?—
if they’re not in love
their eyes do not exist.

Or another Sufi Hafiz in the Thirteenth Century:
I have learned so much from God
that I can no longer call myself
a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew.

Or Jesus himself: ....you yourselves thrown out. Then people will come from east and west, from north and south, and will eat in the kingdom of God. (Lk 13:30)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
Originally posted by HangarQueen:

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

But which faith, exactly, does he profess? I can't tell from that article whether he's a Hindu, a Christian or a Muslim. Seems he doesn't know either.
He has a membership in one church. His spiritual quest may be unrelated to that membership, or may have been born of it. I think sometimes God will lead us to places that we might not go if we stayed within the boundaries in order to allow us to learn something that is for our own spiritual good.

We have no idea what is needed for this man's spiritual good. That's part of his intimate relationship with God.

sabine

[ 28. August 2006, 14:55: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
I did not post this hoping in any way to wind people up but because I read the article and found it interesting. I thought it might lead to a similarly interesting discussion here but I see that in the majority reasoned argument is out of the window and what I shall politely describe as firmly held views of entrenched positions are to the fore.

Would the conversation be more 'interesting' if it moved towards an affirmation of this man's ship-wrecking of the Christian faith? Why should I approve of what I consider to be idolotry? For goodness sake! The picture shows an Anglican priest offering incense (I think?) to an idol: an image made by human hands.

This isn't rocket science; the man's breaking the very first commandment. He's an high-handed idolator. Any sunday school child from my church would be able to see the error in that.

[ 28. August 2006, 14:57: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Is it the fact that it's a Hindu statue that bothers people?

I have attended RC churches and lit candles in front of statues. One of them was a statue of Jesus.

So is it idolitry if the statue of God is in a form that we're not familiar with?

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:

Would the conversation be more 'interesting' if it moved towards an affirmation of this man's ship-wrecking of the Christian faith?

Is the Christian faith on such shakey ground that one man engaging in a cross-cultural, inter-faith practice is going ship wreck it?

I think some of the responses here are far more defensive than this incident calls for.

I pretty sure Christianity is safe for the moment. [Smile]

sabine

[ 28. August 2006, 15:04: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

I think the problem here is that some people on the ship don't understand the difference between an adherent to the Trinitarian Christian religion of the Bible and the Historical Tradition (phrasing this to be as broad and inclusive as possible) and those on the outskirts of historical Christianity. This is not a matter of religious co-existance or cultural pluralism, but of the integrity of our own faith. No one who subscribes to the formularies of Anglicanism, Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, or the confessional classical protestant traditions is going to be able to give approbation IMO to a public act of worship to a deity other than YHWH, whom Christians know as the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Would the conversation be more 'interesting' if it moved towards an affirmation of this man's ship-wrecking of the Christian faith? Why should I approve of what I consider to be idolotry? For goodness sake! The picture shows an Anglican priest offering incense (I think?) to an idol: an image made by human hands.

This isn't rocket science; the man's breaking the very first commandment. He's an high-handed idolator. Any sunday school child from my church would be able to see the error in that.

NOT an 'idol' Hindu images are known as 'murtis' and are seen as visual aids.

As for Christians only being allowed to worship YHWH - since he is the one and only God, then there is no other God that can be possibly be worshipped. Thus worshippers using Ganesh as a visual aid are, albeit unknowingly, worshipping YHWH.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Yeah. try using that excuse if you ever commit adultery. Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I has sex with a prostitute, but I was really making love to you.
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

quote:
I think that this is quite close to a personal attack.

Possibly. The point, though, was to highlight what seemed to me the unpleasant way you were ready to pass judgement on someone you presumably have never met and to whom the Church has given authority and responsibility, as it has to you.

It's about respect, I think, valuing someone as a person, whatever their views, and I'd have thought also as a priest in this case. Your post seemed totally devoid of that.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016