homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Religious Pluralism (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Religious Pluralism
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
feast of stephen

I'm afraid it is one of these irregular verbs

"I have the courage of my convictions

You are disobeying standing orders

He is a rebel"

I've worn all three of those hats at different times in my life.

For David Hart it will be, or is already, a matter for his bishop to assess the situation to decide what action, if any, is required. I'm sure he's aware of it.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
feast of stephen:
quote:
Goldenkey, I can't really agree that Revd Hart has the 'courage of his convictions' on this. If he does, then why doesn't he renounce his position as Revd?
Perhaps his "conviction" is that he is not doing violence to his faith or his pastoral position by his actions. He may well be wrong about that as a lot of people on this thread have pointed out. But that doesn't detract from his "courage" to be open and upfront about his convictions which I'm sure he is aware are controversial. As Barnabus points out, it's up to his bishop to determine how his convictions play out in the life of the church, and up to individuals both Christian and Hindu whether they agree with his position or not.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I started this thread I didn’t expect anything like the response it has got. I am frankly amazed at the vehemence of many of the posts. I have been reflecting on this and wonder whether the issue is purely a theological one or whether there is an undercurrent of what I can best describe as western cultural imperialism:

"We’re westerners, we know more about Christianity, you should do it our way!"

Sorry folks, Christianity has been happily co-existing with Hinduism here since Thomas the Apostle arrived in AD 52.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you read the link that IngoB posted earlier to the Sea of Faith website, and read the document therein, you'll see it is a review of Don Cupitt made in the context of other Sea-of-Faith thinkers, of whom David Hart is one. It analyses him (DH) as a philosophical and theological non-realist.

Whilst I'm sure he may want to express it differently himself, this is by way of saying that he does not believe that God exists in any objective sense, but is rather an entirely human construct - though presumably he thinks it a useful one for ethical purposes. Given that, it seems entirely logical to me why he would be happy to offer incense to Ganesh. If neither exists, where's the problem?

Ian

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

- Posted      Profile for feast of stephen   Email feast of stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
When I started this thread I didn’t expect anything like the response it has got. I am frankly amazed at the vehemence of many of the posts. I have been reflecting on this and wonder whether the issue is purely a theological one or whether there is an undercurrent of what I can best describe as western cultural imperialism:

Sorry folks, Christianity has been happily co-existing with Hinduism here since Thomas the Apostle arrived in AD 52.

And St Thomas arrived and honoured Ganesh did he? [Biased]

I'm not sure what you mean by ' you weren't expecting the vehemence of the response', I think most of us on here are just having an honest and direct debate on here. If you wanted everyone to agree with you then perhaps this website wasn't the best one for you to post on!

I think some people are bound to disagree. If Revd Hart now has a different perspective on Christianity then he should explain that and perhaps leave. I don't think that's vehement, I rather think it's the same as saying, for example, Tony Blair should leave the Labour Party because he's clearly to the right of most members. It's rather a statement of fact as far as I see it.

Still Bishop Jenkins of Durham remained Bishop up till '94, well after he stated that he didn't believe in the literal truth of the resurrection, so in the context of Anglicanism then perhaps Revd Hart is perfectly within his rights given that precedence. But from a more logical and literal understanding of the Articles of faith and the Bible and Anglican/Christian tradition, it does seem rather obvious that Revd Hart has departed from all of these.

[ 30. August 2006, 11:19: Message edited by: feast of stephen ]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m.t-tomb:
Yeah. try using that excuse if you ever commit adultery. Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I has sex with a prostitute, but I was really making love to you.

The difference being that the prostitute actually exists as a seperate entity, and the person using said prostitute knows full well it is not the same person as his wife and uses her services accordingly.

I can see a massive difference.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the coiled spring:
It took a while to get used to seeing houses in India with Christian and Hindi symbols of worship on outside. They do seem to like hedging their bets.

You seem to be implying by this that "Hindi symbols" represent worship of a different God, rather than a different culture's way of worshipping the same God.

Seems to me that there's a hugely significant difference between the two.

And that a real God has existence outside any particular culture.

Not worshipping other gods is a fundemental part of Christianity. But there's no commandment about stepping outside one's own cultural tradition (although some who would make tradition the arbiter of all might wish there was).

Seems to me that anyone who wants to invoke the first commandment against Rev Hart has to (as part of the charge they're making) assert that a god called Ganesh exists. Which for some reason they seem reluctant to do...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Seems to me that anyone who wants to invoke the first commandment against Rev Hart has to (as part of the charge they're making) assert that a god called Ganesh exists. Which for some reason they seem reluctant to do...

By the same argument, when the OT prophets invoked the first two commandments against the ancient Hebrews for incorporating symbols borrowed from Baal worship (such as Asherah's poles) into their temple worship, they would have needed to assert that a god called Baal exists. And as far as I can make out from the OT, they didn't do that.

It seems to me that the Judea-Christian tradition has always had issues with syncrenism. (Notwithstanding the sort of 'redemptive appropriation' that Barnabas mentioned earlier in the thread).

--------------------
humblebum

Posts: 584 | From: Belfast | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humblebum:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

By the same argument, when the OT prophets invoked the first two commandments against the ancient Hebrews for incorporating symbols borrowed from Baal worship (such as Asherah's poles) into their temple worship, they would have needed to assert that a god called Baal exists. And as far as I can make out from the OT, they didn't do that.
I think that at the time it was rather assumed that Baal did exist. It did take rather a long time for YHWH to work His way up in the Hebrew mind from a tribal God who was special because He was their tribal God, via conceptions as being the Top God, to being the only all-powerful God, to being the only player on the scene. Given that, the prophets' objections make perfect sense.

quote:
It seems to me that the Judea-Christian tradition has always had issues with syncrenism. (Notwithstanding the sort of 'redemptive appropriation' that Barnabas mentioned earlier in the thread).
Indeed. But context is all-important. Worship of Canaanite deities involved practices that were in themselves unpleasant or indeed downright evil - from ritual prostitution to human sacrifice, at least the way the OT tells it. And in the Christian era, the requirements for Christians to partake of Emperor worship were specifically about renouncing Christianity.

We have to ask what this all means given modern assumptions about the existence of gods, about what these rituals mean to us now, rather than simplistically looking back to the applications of fundamental principles to past situations. The guy may well be wrong, but discerning whether this is the case is a lot more complicated - and I'd suggest thought provoking - than pointing to a few verses and canons.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Yeah. try using that excuse if you ever commit adultery. Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I has sex with a prostitute, but I was really making love to you.

The difference being that the prostitute actually exists as a seperate entity, and the person using said prostitute knows full well it is not the same person as his wife and uses her services accordingly.

OK. How about: Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I has sex with a prostitute, but I was really making love to you in my heart.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And yet I do not doubt for one second that the Marthoma Church would disagree with Hart's veneration of Ganesh.
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:

OK. How about: Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I has sex with a prostitute, but I was really making love to you in my heart.
Again, Numpty, you're assuming that Ganesh exists as a seperate entity from God. If Ganesh and God are one and the same, or, rather, if Ganesh is a representation of one aspect of God, then the analogy doesn't work.

The assumption that the idols represented, or even were, real gods in opposition to YHWH informs the OT prophets' views on the matter, the likening of Israel's worship of them to adultery (yes, I do know where you're getting this analogy from), and indeed your likening of it to adultery. But, again, remove the assumption that Ganesh represents an entity (objectively existant or not) that is seperate and distinct from God, and the analogy fails. There is no prostitute; there is only the wife. She's just wearing a different dress.

[ 30. August 2006, 13:34: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

- Posted      Profile for humblebum   Email humblebum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that at the time it was rather assumed that Baal did exist. It did take rather a long time for YHWH to work His way up in the Hebrew mind from a tribal God who was special because He was their tribal God, via conceptions as being the Top God, to being the only all-powerful God, to being the only player on the scene. Given that, the prophets' objections make perfect sense.

Hmm, I will admit that the old "henotheism vs monotheism in the OT" debate did cross my mind before I posted. You may have a point here, but I'm not completely convinced by this reading of the OT as yet. When Elijah mocks the priests of Baal who can't get their offering to combust ("Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened?"), this reads to me like the words of someone who believes Baal to be the product of the idolotrous imagination, rather than a minor deity who he's just the upper hand over with the help of rather bigger and more powerful deity.

quote:
Indeed. But context is all-important. Worship of Canaanite deities involved practices that were in themselves unpleasant or indeed downright evil - from ritual prostitution to human sacrifice, at least the way the OT tells it. And in the Christian era, the requirements for Christians to partake of Emperor worship were specifically about renouncing Christianity.

We have to ask what this all means given modern assumptions about the existence of gods, about what these rituals mean to us now, rather than simplistically looking back to the applications of fundamental principles to past situations. The guy may well be wrong, but discerning whether this is the case is a lot more complicated - and I'd suggest thought provoking - than pointing to a few verses and canons.

I don't disagree, Karl. I'm curious as to what the guy in question's motivations are, but my feeling is that he's making a mistake - for much the same reasons that have Barnabas and Ruth have outlined. (I too have misgivings against inter-faith worship, even though I think inter-faith dialogue is a good and important thing).

The only reason I'm citing scripture is to establish that there is more to the aversion against synchretism than mere religious arrogance.

--------------------
humblebum

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feast of stephen:
quote:

And St Thomas arrived and honoured Ganesh did he? [Biased]

I'm not sure what you mean by ' you weren't expecting the vehemence of the response', I think most of us on here are just having an honest and direct debate on here. If you wanted everyone to agree with you then perhaps this website wasn't the best one for you to post on!

I think some people are bound to disagree. If Revd Hart now has a different perspective on Christianity then he should explain that and perhaps leave. I don't think that's vehement, I rather think it's the same as saying, for example, Tony Blair should leave the Labour Party because he's clearly to the right of most members. It's rather a statement of fact as far as I see it.

Still Bishop Jenkins of Durham remained Bishop up till '94, well after he stated that he didn't believe in the literal truth of the resurrection, so in the context of Anglicanism then perhaps Revd Hart is perfectly within his rights given that precedence. But from a more logical and literal understanding of the Articles of faith and the Bible and Anglican/Christian tradition, it does seem rather obvious that Revd Hart has departed from all of these.

Jenkins was misquoted re- the resurrection. I heard him speak about it at one of his book launches - the way the press took the second half of one of his (admittedly long) sentences.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Elijah may have known that Baal didn't really exist - or maybe didn't; his words could be taken as simply confident that his God was bigger than their god - but did the people of Israel in general? Even then, we have to be careful because fully applying the Elijah model would involve not only disapproving of this guys actions but also killing him, which IIRC is what Elijah did to the prophets of Baal.

(mental note to self - another incident for the "Is this really the inerrant Word of God?" file)

I would be very wary of taking a step like this myself. What I don't know is whether that's a well reasoned wariness or simply my old evangelical SoundoMeter still bleeping away in my back pocket.

--------------------

humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

quote:
his words could be taken as simply confident that his God was bigger than their god - but did the people of Israel in general?

Aye, but I thought the issue was the convictions of the biblical writers and the prophets themselves, rather than those of the people in general.

Your point about Elijah killing off his opponents after this incident is well taken - you do recall correctly. I'm certainly not arguing for a "full application of the Elijah model" at this point, I'm just trying to highlight this deeply rooted conviction within the Judeo-Christian mindset that strongly resists the blurring of its distinctiveness alongside other alternative religious practices. There seems to me to be more to it than it being tied to the henotheistic culture of that particular time.

--------------------
humblebum

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just trying to highlight this deeply rooted conviction within the Judeo-Christian mindset that strongly resists the blurring of its distinctiveness alongside other alternative religious practices.

Within some or parts of, perhaps, rather than the whole? I am not nitpicking here, I am making an important point that there are some members of the Judaeo-Christian tradition who do not have that mindset.

[ 30. August 2006, 14:46: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
his words could be taken as simply confident that his God was bigger than their god - but did the people of Israel in general?

Aye, but I thought the issue was the convictions of the biblical writers and the prophets themselves, rather than those of the people in general.
On that I'd disagree. Elijah considered Baal worship to be dangerous to Israel. The question is why. If the people saw it as a case of "let's worship Baal instead of YHWH, or as well as Him", then it certainly would be. If they saw it as having another god, it would be dangerous. I have no idea whether Elijah thought Baal was real in any sense, or what he thought. My focus here is on the fact that in that society and culture, at that particular time, it was a Bad Thing because it set up an alternative god in the minds of the people of Israel.

quote:

Your point about Elijah killing off his opponents after this incident is well taken - you do recall correctly. I'm certainly not arguing for a "full application of the Elijah model" at this point, I'm just trying to highlight this deeply rooted conviction within the Judeo-Christian mindset that strongly resists the blurring of its distinctiveness alongside other alternative religious practices. There seems to me to be more to it than it being tied to the henotheistic culture of that particular time.

There may be, but I'm not sure. The message throughout the OT is pretty clear, and of course this has informed much of the Judaeo-Christian mindset over the last 2000 years. That is not to say that there is no value in deconstructing the whys and wherefores of it, and asking what it means today.

I'd also suggest that we cannot escape the other significance of the killing of the prophets of Baal, which is that in Israel at that time a religious statement was also a political one. Just as in post-reformation Europe, to follow a different religious practice was to dissociate oneself with one's own national identity and to associate with a foreign one - and an enemy one at that. It was very much like being an English Roman Catholic in the reign of Elizabeth I whilst we were at war with Catholic Spain. It was treasonous in the eyes of the authorities. We do not live in a time and a place where religion and national identity are so closely identified now, not in Europe, nor in India.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Again, Numpty, you're assuming that Ganesh exists as a seperate entity from God. If Ganesh and God are one and the same, or, rather, if Ganesh is a representation of one aspect of God, then the analogy doesn't work.
i don't think that Ganesh exists as a separate entity from God at all; that's not my assumption, really it isn't. So I suppose I'll have to change the metaphor to accomodate your objections. OK, try this one:
quote:
"Well, darling, everyone knows that you're my only wife; yes, I wank off to pornographic images of women that aren't you, but I'm making love to you in my heart."

Shipmate
# 76

And again I'm telling you the analogy doesn't work if there are no other women for there to be pornographic images of. Just the wife, with different hairstyles, in different moods, and wearing different clothes.

If you're not getting why the analogy doesn't work, please drop it.

--------------------

feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

- Posted      Profile for feast of stephen   Email feast of stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And again I'm telling you the analogy doesn't work if there are no other women for there to be pornographic images of. Just the wife, with different hairstyles, in different moods, and wearing different clothes.

If may say so I think that's a little pedantic.

In the OT it basically condemns worship of all other Gods except Him. God acknowledges that there are other Gods out there but he requests (strongly!)the isrealites not to worship them.

So are we to take it that you're saying the Hindus plethora of deities, even if they are all represenative of Brahman (which is debatable) is one and the same God as Our Father? Sure there's some similarities i.e. a kind of trinity etc, but I still can't see how you made that leap, given what the OT says. And presumably since Revd Hart decided to be a Christian and put himself forward for ordination, he acknowledges what the OT says about other Gods?

--------------------
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all" Oscar Wilde

The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What if, (sorry Karl) assuming that all representations of gods are actually just parts of the One True God, what if said deity doesn't want to be worshipped like that?

What if, to borrow your analogy, the wife wishes to be made love to when she is dressed like herself, wearing her own clothes and her own hairstyles and not clothes borrowed from her friends? What if she sees having to borrow others' clothes to entice her husband to sex as humiliating, or as whoring herself?

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a much better analogy, JillieRose. Now we just need to answer that question... [Biased]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
feast of stephen
Shipmate
# 8885

quote:
Originally posted by JillieRose:
What if, (sorry Karl) assuming that all representations of gods are actually just parts of the One True God, what if said deity doesn't want to be worshipped like that?

What if, to borrow your analogy, the wife wishes to be made love to when she is dressed like herself, wearing her own clothes and her own hairstyles and not clothes borrowed from her friends? What if she sees having to borrow others' clothes to entice her husband to sex as humiliating, or as whoring herself?

Good analogy JillieRose

--------------------
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all" Oscar Wilde

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idols we really ought to be worried about are global capitalism and militarism.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The idols we really ought to be worried about are global capitalism and militarism.

Yes, and sections of the church are actively promoting them!

--------------------

Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the same David Hart who introduced the Rev Moon to an interfaith congress in Budapest last year?

I think he is the Indian Secretary of the World Congress of Faiths or a similar organisation.

You cannot just attack him as he is obviously a sincere person. I'm not an Anglican so I don't have a problem with what either he or any other Anglican does or believes for that matter.

I'm not sure that what anybody believes is really my business unless it becomes a problem to me or affects others adversely.

There have always been good people on the boundaries and on the wrong side of them as well.

They are not a problem as everyone knows they are not mainstream and don't speak for anyone but themselves. Often they are people of some holiness. Often they do break down barriers for the rest of us. Simone Weil immediately comes to mind.

I certainly couldn't agree with David Hart but I would hesitate to condemn an obviously sincere man.

[ 30. August 2006, 15:50: Message edited by: Fuzzipeg ]

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Now there's a tangent.

With respect, feast, that's exactly the sort of oversimplified approach my earlier post here was trying to move the debate beyond. Let's make "The Bible says" the beginning of discussion, not the end of it, eh?

Jillie - now you're getting somewhere with your version of the analogy. I am actually quite undecided as to whether Ganesh is a facet of the same God that Christians worship, or whether that very much depends on the individual worshipper. I'm not sure exactly how to apply your version of the metaphor. What has God said about how He wants to be worshipped? "In Spirit and in Truth"? What does it mean? I think there's a lot of potential exploration being done here and I'm rather glad we're able to do it despite the "He's not really Christian, should be defrocked, etc. etc. etc." knee-jerk reaction of some early posts.

--------------------

humblebum
Shipmate
# 4358

quote:
Within some or parts of, perhaps, rather than the whole? I am not nitpicking here, I am making an important point that there are some members of the Judaeo-Christian tradition who do not have that mindset.

I don't doubt that, WW. But the resistance is there within what is generally agreed to be some quite important parts of the Judaeo-Christian tradition, and I think that we can't merely ignore them - we do have to do business with them if we intend to be faithful to the tradition as a whole.

quote:
On that I'd disagree. Elijah considered Baal worship to be dangerous to Israel. The question is why. If the people saw it as a case of "let's worship Baal instead of YHWH, or as well as Him", then it certainly would be. If they saw it as having another god, it would be dangerous. I have no idea whether Elijah thought Baal was real in any sense, or what he thought. My focus here is on the fact that in that society and culture, at that particular time, it was a Bad Thing because it set up an alternative god in the minds of the people of Israel.

Okay, that's a fair case to make.

I would suggest that in our own particular society and culture, syncretism is a Bad Thing because it reinforces the assumption in the minds of people today that different religious traditions are all basically the same thing.

quote:
I'd also suggest that we cannot escape the other significance of the killing of the prophets of Baal, which is that in Israel at that time a religious statement was also a political one. Just as in post-reformation Europe, to follow a different religious practice was to dissociate oneself with one's own national identity and to associate with a foreign one - and an enemy one at that. It was very much like being an English Roman Catholic in the reign of Elizabeth I whilst we were at war with Catholic Spain. It was treasonous in the eyes of the authorities. We do not live in a time and a place where religion and national identity are so closely identified now, not in Europe, nor in India.
You appear to making a non-sequitur argument here, Karl. You say that politics are involved in such apparently religious actions, and you're quite right. But it does not follow that if you take away the political motivation, nothing of the religious or spiritual motivation remains.

quote:
The message throughout the OT is pretty clear, and of course this has informed much of the Judaeo-Christian mindset over the last 2000 years. That is not to say that there is no value in deconstructing the whys and wherefores of it, and asking what it means today.
Very good of you to say so. [Big Grin]

--------------------
humblebum

dosey
Shipmate
# 10259

- Posted      Profile for dosey   Email dosey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feast of stephen:
quote:

If may say so I think that's a little pedantic.

In the OT it basically condemns worship of all other Gods except Him. God acknowledges that there are other Gods out there but he requests (strongly!)the isrealites not to worship them.

So are we to take it that you're saying the Hindus plethora of deities, even if they are all represenative of Brahman (which is debatable) is one and the same God as Our Father? Sure there's some similarities i.e. a kind of trinity etc, but I still can't see how you made that leap, given what the OT says. And presumably since Revd Hart decided to be a Christian and put himself forward for ordination, he acknowledges what the OT says about other Gods?

No its not up for debate whether all deities are manifest of Brahman, FULL STOP. To me I have always seen it as philosphical differncies.

Jillie, thanks for coming up with a better anaolgy. No it won't be, becuase there is no such thing as a one size fits all religion. So really it would be appealing to different parts of that man. (This would mean that God is appealing to different cultures) The lust part of the man is interseted in the intelluectual part. You can never say one group of people are the same as another.

Posts: 72 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...when the OT prophets invoked the first two commandments against the ancient Hebrews for incorporating symbols borrowed from Baal worship (such as Asherah's poles) into their temple worship, they would have needed to assert that a god called Baal exists. And as far as I can make out from the OT, they didn't do that.....

There's a strong note of henotheism (many gods exist, only one should be worshipped) in even the 1st Commandment "no other Gods before me" and Psalm 95
quote:
For the LORD is the great God,
the great King above all gods.

[ 30. August 2006, 16:07: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
quote:

I don't doubt that, WW. But the resistance is there within what is generally agreed to be some quite important parts of the Judaeo-Christian tradition, and I think that we can't merely ignore them - we do have to do business with them if we intend to be faithful to the tradition as a whole.

I accept this wholeheartedly AND I expect that "they" also both accept and respect that there a people in Christendom, like David Hart, who do not hold the same views on this subject as "they" do.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

False dichotomy. Unless you really think that we cannot be opposed both to paying ritual homage to non-Christian idols and to capitalism and militarism. And that would be an odd thing to be saying.

Your point is presumably that there are other types of idolatry than the technical one of burning incense to non-Chriatian "deity". Mine is that the one does not eliminate the badness of the other.

Just to be clear, Hart was paying cultic homage to an idol of a religion that specifically denies Christ's divine Person and his unique and once-for-all work. If that is not at the very least asking to be seen as idolatry in the obvious sense, then I can't see that idolatry is a meaningful concept at all. If that isn't (willfully and recklessly giving the impression of) idolatry then nothing could be.

The reason there appears to be so much heat in the reactions to Hart's behaviour is, it seems to me, because of the incredulity some of us feel in the denials we are reading that burning incense at the shrine of a non-Christian God is in any way idolatrous. It beggars belief.

If to burn incense at Caesar's shrine would have been wrong for Christians in the early Church, what makes it alright to burn it at Ganesh's now? It seems to me that precisely the same justifications could be dreamed up for the former as are being presented here for the latter. What's the difference?

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
You appear to making a non-sequitur argument here, Karl. You say that politics are involved in such apparently religious actions, and you're quite right. But it does not follow that if you take away the political motivation, nothing of the religious or spiritual motivation remains.

I wasn't arguing that it necessarily did. I'm just saying that one reason it was so much a Bad Thing was the political dimension. I'm not arguing that because there was a political dimension, removing that political dimension in and of itself validates the activity.

--------------------

The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jillie - now you're getting somewhere with your version of the analogy. I am actually quite undecided as to whether Ganesh is a facet of the same God that Christians worship, or whether that very much depends on the individual worshipper. I'm not sure exactly how to apply your version of the metaphor. What has God said about how He wants to be worshipped? "In Spirit and in Truth"? What does it mean? I think there's a lot of potential exploration being done here and I'm rather glad we're able to do it despite the "He's not really Christian, should be defrocked, etc. etc. etc." knee-jerk reaction of some early posts.
Okies. Personally, I don't think that Ganesh is a facet of the God I worship. But for the sake of argument, I decided to assume it to see what we can come up with.

What does God say about how He wishes to be worshipped?

Old Testament: there's a whole pile of detailed instructions to the people of Israel on how God wishes to be worshipped. The whole of Leviticus, for example, tells the Jews how to do every kind of offering (peace offerings, ch 3, sin offerings in ch 4 etc etc). Handy enough. The people of Israel are told fairly strongly not to worship Baal or Asherah. Judges 6:25 for example.

Psalm 106:36 says that worshipping idols became a snare to the Israelites. So in their case I think it is fairly safe to assume that 1) God did not like Israel worshipping idols, and 2) that worshipping idols was bad for Israel.

This would lead me to think that worshipping an idol, any idol, is at best rather questionable, as God says He isn't keen on it, and it can be a trap to you. What trap?

I presume that if you worship an idol as a representation of God then you start believing that the idol can fully encapsulate God.

Yup, we are told to worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:23, yeesh, I'm going crazy today with the prooftexting!) but what else? Well...

Acts 17:22-30 goes:

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent."

So in my opinion that's a fairly clear instruction not to worship idols of silver or gold or stone: they are not God. Not even a facet of God. Because I think God is not like that. God is far beyond that.

quote:
No it won't be, becuase there is no such thing as a one size fits all religion. So really it would be appealing to different parts of that man. (This would mean that God is appealing to different cultures) The lust part of the man is interseted in the intelluectual part. You can never say one group of people are the same as another.
dosey, sorry for being thick, but I really don't understand what you just said. No it won't be what?

--------------------
Today is not your day.

Shipmate
# 76

For my money, Chesterbelloc, I'm just arguing for actually unpacking and examining the whole topic rather than just saying "of course it's idolatry". You may be correct, but I'd rather think it through than jump straight to the conclusion.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dosey

I'm sorry but like JillieRose I didn't "get" your last post either. (Maybe the typos got in the way?) Would you like to have another go?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

dosey
Shipmate
# 10259

- Posted      Profile for dosey   Email dosey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chesterbollic Hindus do accept Christ as an incarnation of the supreme.

What Hindus will not accept is that God will only incarnate once.

The anaolgy is that religion is like a clock over time the clock goes out of sync with 'real' time. (look up about quantum mechanics, etc). Every so often we have to resync the clock.

Same with God he has to resync religion to what he wants. Over time religion becomes out of sync, this is human nature. If we look at what is happen it is pretty obvious that we are over due for a resync due to current fantasicism.

Jillie what I am saying is that many cultures all over the world exist, and sub cultures in cultures. There is no one size fits all in religion why is ther many hundreds of sects in christianity, each with slighty different views.

So god has to slightly alter his message to fit in with different cultures.

The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

quote:
I am afraid I will have to disagree. I don't think God changes. The analogy works (for me) only if applied to the externals of religion.

For example, the Gospel is the same message it was yesterday, and will be the same tomorrow. However, it is not necessary that we present it while wearing, to pick a random example, eighteenth century corsets or first century rabbi outfits. Nor does it require us to present it in Ancient Greek, nor in King James English.

But the message of Jesus is unchanged. "God came down, died, and was resurrected. This was for your benefit." and so on. In any language, to any culture, that is the message.

The externals of presentation change, but the message and the God behind it, in my opinion, do not.

Otherwise it would be a different religion, wouldn't it?

(ETA: Thank you for reexplaining it.) (I can spell. Honest.)

[ 30. August 2006, 16:54: Message edited by: JillieRose ]

--------------------
Today is not your day.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

dosey

Thanks for the clarification too. I'm pretty much with JillieRose's view but I'm thinking over a couple of your comments and will probably post again when I get my head straight.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:

False dichotomy. Unless you really think that we cannot be opposed both to paying ritual homage to non-Christian idols and to capitalism and militarism. And that would be an odd thing to be saying.

Your point is presumably that there are other types of idolatry than the technical one of burning incense to non-Chriatian "deity". Mine is that the one does not eliminate the badness of the other.

Just to be clear, Hart was paying cultic homage to an idol of a religion that specifically denies Christ's divine Person and his unique and once-for-all work. If that is not at the very least asking to be seen as idolatry in the obvious sense, then I can't see that idolatry is a meaningful concept at all. If that isn't (willfully and recklessly giving the impression of) idolatry then nothing could be.

The reason there appears to be so much heat in the reactions to Hart's behaviour is, it seems to me, because of the incredulity some of us feel in the denials we are reading that burning incense at the shrine of a non-Christian God is in any way idolatrous. It beggars belief.

If to burn incense at Caesar's shrine would have been wrong for Christians in the early Church, what makes it alright to burn it at Ganesh's now? It seems to me that precisely the same justifications could be dreamed up for the former as are being presented here for the latter. What's the difference?

Buening incense before Caesar was saccepting all that the Roman Empire stod for - militaristic conquest, oppression, peasant farmers having their land stolen, slavery, patronage, classism - very like global capitalism today with its corporate logos and America's view of other cultures as 'backward'. Pax Americana is very much like the Pax Romana - based on conquest and fear. See Colossians Remixed by Brian Walsh et al. Everywhere you went, you'd see images of Caesar - on the gymnasium, the theatre, temples, on cois, in the atrium of every house, on jewely and utsnsils, on wall paintings. It was a sort of ubiquitous brainwashing.

The eperor's birthday and his conquests were annoubnced as 'gospel'.

Very unlike Ganesh.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Yes, and sections of the church are actively promoting them!
Indeed they are. Radical repentance is in order.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

dosey
Shipmate
# 10259

quote:
quote:
I am afraid I will have to disagree. I don't think God changes. The analogy works (for me) only if applied to the externals of religion.

For example, the Gospel is the same message it was yesterday, and will be the same tomorrow. However, it is not necessary that we present it while wearing, to pick a random example, eighteenth century corsets or first century rabbi outfits. Nor does it require us to present it in Ancient Greek, nor in King James English.

But the message of Jesus is unchanged. "God came down, died, and was resurrected. This was for your benefit." and so on. In any language, to any culture, that is the message.

The externals of presentation change, but the message and the God behind it, in my opinion, do not.

Otherwise it would be a different religion, wouldn't it?

(ETA: Thank you for reexplaining it.) (I can spell. Honest.)

Well, I certianly can't spell, but that me, [Cool]

No, it doesn't change. Culture is a unique thing that will die if tampered with. Look at native Americian culture it pretty much died with the arrival of missionaries. After all totems were a form of idol worship according to them.

So really just becuase god repackages religion for different cultures doesn't make the religion different.

There are many similarities between Christ and Krishna (different God I know, but Krishna is one of the biggies for hindus)

#6 & 45: Yeshua and Krishna were called both a God and the Son of God.
7: Both was sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man.
8 & 46: Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity.
13, 15, 16 & 23: His adoptive human father was a carpenter.
18: A spirit or ghost was their actual father.
21: Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent.
27 & 28: Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star.
30 to 34: Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna's parents stayed in Mathura.
41 & 42: Both Yeshua and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted.
56: Both were identified as "the seed of the woman bruising the serpent's head."
58: Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah." Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki."
60: Both claimed: "I am the Resurrection."
64: Both referred to themselves having existed before their birth on earth.
66: Both were "without sin."
72: Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine.
76, 77, & 78: They were both considered omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.
83, 84, & 85: Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured "all manner of diseases."
86 & 87: Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead.
101: Both selected disciples to spread his teachings.
109 to 112: Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners.
115: Both encountered a Gentile woman at a well.

Can look at the orginal text at http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr1.htm

So really the message is the same, just done by different people, and they all came down for us, died for us, and livied for us.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:

I will not drop it. There's nothing wrong with the metaphor; the problem lies with the relativistic frame of reference through which you filter the analogy. I said images of women; not photographs or film. It is quite possible for an artist to draw an erotic image of a woman who does not exist, Manga pornography is a good example. You wouldn't suggest that all imagery of the feminine is equally valid regardless of what that imagery 'says' about women. That would be a very dangerous concept Karl, very dangerous. So why do you insist upon doing so with God?

Are you really suggesting that anything even vaguely spiritual must in some sense be an icon of the one true God? That "God" is the ground of all spiritual imagery regardless of what those images say? I don't agree with that, Karl.

[ 30. August 2006, 18:19: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

So, dosey, if I've got this right, what you believe is that Christianity is just Hinduism repackaged, which is also Islam repackaged, which is Buddhism repackaged, for example?

If that is what you believe then I would completely disagree because, for example:

- Buddhism does not (AFAIK) believe in a God per se.

- Islam believes you need to follow its rules and believe in its tenets, and that it's the only way to get into Heaven.

- Christianity requires a personal relationship with Jesus as The way, truth and life, the only way to get into Heaven.

- Hinduism is different again.

There are fundamental differences between all major religions which makes them incompatible with each other. They have similarities, yes, but if they all (or most of them) claim they are the One True Way and that all other ways are wrong, then somebody has to be wrong. They are lying, or they are mistaken. And if they are not lying, then the God who created them is lying because He or She said that to each different religion.

To change topic slightly, to take your example about Native American culture, this is a perfect example of my culture differences point. Christianity, AFAIK, has not taken off with people who want to retain their Native American roots because missionaries have not been able to help them adapt it to the culture: that is, they have not known how to facilitate people into being 'Christian Native Americans' rather than 'Christian Irish' or 'Christian Indians' or 'Christian Chinese'.

Obviously, as Christians they would not participate in idol worship, but there is no reason for the parts of their culture which do not run contrary to Christianity to be kept.

A person's adherence to their culture will change if they become a Christian: their primary concern will shift from 'me' to 'Him' and that changes outlook. But if culture is so fragile as to shatter if a new viewpoint is brought in, then I would say it's probably either 1) not a strong culture, or 2) that maybe the new outlook wishes to destroy the culture outright.

--------------------
Today is not your day.

dosey
Shipmate
# 10259

quote:
So, dosey, if I've got this right, what you believe is that Christianity is just Hinduism repackaged, which is also Islam repackaged, which is Buddhism repackaged, for example?

If that is what you believe then I would completely disagree because, for example:

- Buddhism does not (AFAIK) believe in a God per se.

- Islam believes you need to follow its rules and believe in its tenets, and that it's the only way to get into Heaven.

- Christianity requires a personal relationship with Jesus as The way, truth and life, the only way to get into Heaven.

- Hinduism is different again.

There are fundamental differences between all major religions which makes them incompatible with each other. They have similarities, yes, but if they all (or most of them) claim they are the One True Way and that all other ways are wrong, then somebody has to be wrong. They are lying, or they are mistaken. And if they are not lying, then the God who created them is lying because He or She said that to each different religion.

To change topic slightly, to take your example about Native American culture, this is a perfect example of my culture differences point. Christianity, AFAIK, has not taken off with people who want to retain their Native American roots because missionaries have not been able to help them adapt it to the culture: that is, they have not known how to facilitate people into being 'Christian Native Americans' rather than 'Christian Irish' or 'Christian Indians' or 'Christian Chinese'.

Obviously, as Christians they would not participate in idol worship, but there is no reason for the parts of their culture which do not run contrary to Christianity to be kept.

A person's adherence to their culture will change if they become a Christian: their primary concern will shift from 'me' to 'Him' and that changes outlook. But if culture is so fragile as to shatter if a new viewpoint is brought in, then I would say it's probably either 1) not a strong culture, or 2) that maybe the new outlook wishes to destroy the culture outright.

And? If you have a brain than you realise that at leat 5 billlion people are destined to hell becuase they do not accept that God as the one supreme lord.

All of them say that just to instill greater devotion, IMHO.

Buddhism sort of believes in a para Brahman, but I am slightly vague on my knowledge of Buddhism (I deserve a slap on the wrist, I know...)

As Swami vivekananda said
'Our watchword, then, will be acceptance, and not exclusion. Not only toleration, for so called toleration is often blasphemy, and I do not believe in it. I believe in acceptance. Why should I tolerate? Toleration means that, I think that you are wrong and I am just allowing you to live. Is it not a blasphemy to think that you and I are allowing others to live? I accept all religions that were in the past, and worship with them; I worship God with every one of them, in whatever form they worship Him.'

The basic idea is not to tolerate it accept it as genuine.

I'm not an anthroprist so I really don't understand completly how Culture works, its just that that North american one is cited commonly.

[ 30. August 2006, 19:53: Message edited by: dosey ]

Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's nothing wrong with the metaphor; the problem lies with the relativistic frame of reference through which you filter the analogy. I said images of women; not photographs or film. It is quite possible for an artist to draw an erotic image of a woman who does not exist, Manga pornography is a good example. You wouldn't suggest that all imagery of the feminine is equally valid regardless of what that imagery 'says' about women. That would be a very dangerous concept Karl, very dangerous.

Twaddle. If there is only one God, any image that is represented as illustrating an aspect of God has as much validity as any other. It's usefulness will depend on how meaning is ascribed to it and derived from it.

The only danger I can see here is if people seeing God through a different image to you appreciate God differently to you and you feel duty-bound to attack them because of it.

Whatever absolutist frame of reference you think you're filtering the metaphor through is nothing of the sort. You have no certain knowledge of God any more than the rest of us.

Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

quote:
And? If you have a brain than you realise that at leat 5 billlion people are destined to hell becuase they do not accept that God as the one supreme lord.
OK, first, the number of people who call themselves Christians number approximately 2.1 billion (from adherents.com). So it would be about 4 billion people who do not define themselves as having a personal relationship with Jesus.

Second, there is no need to insult me. I'm perfectly capable of coherent thought.

Thirdly, I believe that Jesus is the way to Heaven. However, I also believe that it is possible to know something of God without ever having heard the message of the New Testament. But that it's really preferable for people to be told the Gospel so that they can make an informed choice.

Fourth, I believe that God is just. And that, no matter how lacking my knowledge or small my skills at anything and everything, that he understands all things and will be the final judge. And that nobody will pronounce his judgements unfair.

So I'm afraid I still disagree with you on this cultural repackaging, if it means it's a totally different religion. If:

quote:
All of them say that just to instill greater devotion, IMHO.
then they are lying. If they are lying that means they are in contradiction of God, who I believe is Truth.

There are many many different ways of worshipping God in the Christian faith. And different people prefer different ways. That is a kind of difference, and yet it is a difference in personal preference rather than in belief. If God is truth then He wouldn't tell one thing to somebody and another flatly contradicting thing to somebody else. If he did, he would be lying.

If you are correct and all religions lead to God, then most religions are lying. I think that either some of us are wrong and one religion at least has the bare bones of it right (we'll always screw up in practice but that's not the point) or we're all wrong and God is cruel, sadistic and lying to us, or doesn't exist at all.

And I don't think either of those are true.

--------------------
Today is not your day.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

If it is possible for me draw or sculpt and image of a person that does not exist, why do you claim that it is impossible to draw or sculpt and image of a God that does not exist? Are you denying the possibility of artistic fiction? The possibility of spiritual fiction?

Are you really suggesting that any attempt to visually convey the numinous is by its very nature an icon of the divine? Does the act of creating an idol make it intrinsically iconic? Is Ganesh really just Jesus in an elephant suit? Is Ganesh an icon of the divine simply because Ganesh happens to have been created by a human sculptor? Is it possible for a human being to make a God?

The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

quote:
(posted by Dave Marshall) Twaddle. If there is only one God, any image that is represented as illustrating an aspect of God has as much validity as any other. It's usefulness will depend on how meaning is ascribed to it and derived from it.
With all due respect, I think you're wrong. If an image of God contradicts God's character then it is wrong. For example, God as Thief, or God as Hypocrite. And like I said up the page a bit, I believe God said no idol worship because they are not Him. He's far beyond that.

quote:
(posted by Dave Marshall) The only danger I can see here is if people seeing God through a different image to you appreciate God differently to you and you feel duty-bound to attack them because of it.
If m-t.tomb interprets the bible as saying that idolatry is wrong, and then sees something he perceives to be idolatry, then whether he is right or not he has a right to question it.

It's again the question of the wife, just wearing different clothes.

quote:
(posted by Karl)And again I'm telling you the analogy doesn't work if there are no other women for there to be pornographic images of. Just the wife, with different hairstyles, in different moods, and wearing different clothes.
quote:
(posted by me) What if, to borrow your analogy, the wife wishes to be made love to when she is dressed like herself, wearing her own clothes and her own hairstyles and not clothes borrowed from her friends? What if she sees having to borrow others' clothes to entice her husband to sex as humiliating, or as whoring herself?
Anyway.

quote:
Whatever absolutist frame of reference you think you're filtering the metaphor through is nothing of the sort. You have no certain knowledge of God any more than the rest of us.
Except for the last sentence, I have no idea what this bit means. Sorry. Would you mind explaining it?

--------------------
Today is not your day.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016