homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006 (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Knockout Quiz 2006
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfumes or Quizzes?

We had quite a long list of perfumes! The gentlemen were especially adept at finding the Very Pricy ones, if I'm not misremembering!

Is this the fourth quiz?

[ 06. October 2006, 21:07: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

6. Jacques Villeneuve - and him

you might have heard of him, but you obviously haven't heard what has happened to him.

I like to think I stumble from round to round despite my answers rather than because of them!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LMC

Shipmate
# 86

- Posted      Profile for LMC   Email LMC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Oh great, we're going to be submitting lipstick colors for Quizmaster to choose which he likes best. Thanks a lot, LMC. [Razz]

No, no, not that girly. I meant something light and fluffy like pop stars or C-list celebrities [Big Grin]

--------------------
hello

Posts: 505 | From: Off the M9 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
poet laureates and astrophysicists aren't girly?

oh dear.

I've been doing it all wrong!

[Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right on track, Comet; poet laureates and astrophysicists are plenty girly (in that sophisticated, intellectual and womanly sort of way).

(And yes, it appears that they're both wearing lipstick!)

[ 06. October 2006, 23:00: Message edited by: chicklegirl ]

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LMC:
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Oh great, we're going to be submitting lipstick colors for Quizmaster to choose which he likes best. Thanks a lot, LMC. [Razz]

No, no, not that girly. I meant something light and fluffy like pop stars or C-list celebrities [Big Grin]
Those are girly??
Regardless, aaaaaah, please gods no! [Razz]

[ 07. October 2006, 01:13: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nutmeg
Ship's spice girl
# 5297

- Posted      Profile for Nutmeg   Email Nutmeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another round where I have NO IDEA. Thanks Papa Smurf for the tip about waiting to see who has pole position. [Big Grin]

My picks are therefore.

1. Felipe Massa
2. Michael Schumacher
3. Ralf Schumacher
4. Jarno Trulli
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Giancarlo Fisichella

Thats how they lined up on the grid to start... and there is no way they will finish that way. But at least no-one else has chosen that selection yet. [Smile]

--------------------
" Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

Posts: 2285 | From: under the verandah at the rum distillery | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am disappointed that so few people picked up on my helpful hint to use betting odds, on the grounds that the market is a better predictor that an any indvidual expert.

Wanders off a little disconsolate ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink - Just for the record, I think that yours was a wonderful suggestion. However, I'm way too proud to use anyone else's guesswork so I have to stand and fall for myself >8o>

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall Also-run here, if I may
(just watch the supposed F1-geek get it completely wrong !)

M Schumacher
Alonso
Massa
R Schumacher
Fisichella
Raikkonnen

although this is what I think will happen, I'll be happy if my top 2 end up the other way round

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LMC:
I meant something light and fluffy like pop stars or C-list celebrities [Big Grin]

How about ballroom dancing? Aesthetically pleasing enough to be construed as "light and fluffy," but nevertheless a highly competitive, physically demanding sport with enough hardcore fans that there is plenty of info on the web to research.

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Is this the fourth quiz?

This is actually the fifth.

Perhaps you were so emotionally scarred by one of the previous four that you have wiped it out of your memory. Glad to see you following the advice that when you fall off a horse the best thing to do is to get straight back on.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P O S H

11 0 0 -1 The Rogue :- Bringing Brinking Brinkspeople into a Brinkmanship contest
11 0 1 -1 Papa Smurf :- I somehow feel that the model is not actually you
11 1 1 1 Rugasaw :- Very true
11 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- For being the first person I met who puts Roadrunner at No.1
11 0 1 0 Lady A :- For helping me to interpret The Rogue's comment above
11 1 0 0 Doublethink :- Memories are dangerous bedfellows DT
11 1 0 0 Chelley :- For that second link
11 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- For the links which were worth your time
11 1 1 1 Doublethink :- For that quote which is so true I will be using it soon
11 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- That counties as a very bad pun
11 0 0 1 Gwai :- For the links
11 1 1 1 Gwai :- I like that post, even if it is plagiarising Papa Smurf's code
11 1 1 1 AOOL-ite :- For knowing the score
11 1 0 0 Lady A :- For walking all the important parts of Georgia
11 0 0 -1 Yellow Snow :- For that Cootie catcher link
11 0 0 1 Lady A :- For singing along with Rugasaw
11 1 0 0 Professor Kirke :- For answering his own riddle
11 0 -1 0 Cometchaser :- You also cannot spell HOW
11 1 0 0 Cometchaser :- Because I spotted your signature in that post
11 1 1 -1 Davelarge :- Can I have that as a jigsaw with all the names on please?
11 1 0 0 Papa Smurf :- You knew what you were taking on when you prompted me!
11 1 0 0 Nutmeg :- Because I like that song too … wanders over to the vinyl
11 1 1 1 Rugmaker :- A good post and clue but could you please fix your code
11 1 0 0 The Rogue :- For adding a footnote to the footnote and I still don’t understand
11 1 0 0 LMC :- For the Elmo colouring sheet
11 0 -1 0 Sharkshooter :- Unfortunately it has too few counties
11 0 0 1 Gwai :- And you have done it very well
11 1 0 1 Barnabas62 :- I like the image that you have placed in my mind
11 -1 0 0 Alaska :- Is that the first time you have mentioned Chelsea?
11 0 -1 0 Gwai :- I think it was his choice to look at only half the links
11 1 0 0 Cometchaser :- I like the sentiment - all we need is for Ruggy to fix the code
11 0 0 1 Cometchaser :- One of the sites mentions BOROUGHS - I am happy with that
11 0 1 0 Icklejen :- A smart point for the lowest attendance record at school
11 1 0 0 Chorister :- You've got hairs WHERE?
11 0 0 1 Cometchaser :- You paint a lovely image
11 0 0 1 Cometchaser :- For the Alaskan link
11 0 1 0 Tom Day :- For that crossing out activity
11 1 0 0 Doublethink :- For that personal touch

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The points I put up are up on the sof board. Oy vey, suddenly I realize how much work this probably takes QM because I know it took me one to two hours to figure up those points. Glad I did it though. You might even say that my points and how I give them is a form of code [Biased]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:

11 -1 0 0 Alaska :- Is that the first time you have mentioned Chelsea?

Wow: the whole state of Alaska has joined Icklejen in her fandom!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Rogue :- For adding a footnote to the footnote and I still don’t understand

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
North Carolina is the one I have visited most often* so that state (with its 100 counties) is my ally today.

Thanks for the link, Chicklegirl.

* actually ties for that honour with at least one other state**

** All right, then: all of them

I have visited each state exactly zero times.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THE RESULT:

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Felipe Massa
3. Giancarlo Fisichella
4. Jenson Button
5. Kimi Raikkonen
6. Jarno Trulli

Nobody got all six correct, and as Icklejen failed to post she is eliminated at this stage.

You can team up now Ickeljen. The Davelarge team!

--------------------
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THE RESULT:

1. Fernando Alonso

I knew it!

yeeehaw!!!!! *hallelujah dance*

[ 08. October 2006, 07:02: Message edited by: cometchaser ]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmn

I got 5 out of 6, but only Alonso in the right position. Reminded of the old Eric Morecambe joke. "The right notes - but not necessarily in the right order".

But Renault did have a good day and now look hot favourites for both the World and Constructors Championships. Tough on Schumacher though. He'd have won for sure without the very unexpected mechanical failure.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

thank you, barnabas, for answring the question I just posed on the F1 thread!

[ 08. October 2006, 07:31: Message edited by: cometchaser ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nobody got all six correct, and as Icklejen failed to post she is eliminated at this stage.

Oh shit. That is completely my fault. Jen is away this weekend and I meant to tell her that there was a new round and post an entry for her.

Quizmaster, please, please, please can I resign my entry and have Jen reinstated in my place?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

12 1 0 0 Professor Kirke :- For bringing Sufjan Stevens to the Knockout Quiz
12 1 0 0 Gwai :- I love the name of that record label
12 0 0 1 Quizmaster :- It is most unlike you to be THAT helpful
12 0 1 0 Yellow Snow :- I tell you what, I really enjoyed the teamwork involved there
12 0 0 0 Sinisterial :- I am sure you want a brinkmanship point for waiting so late
12 1 0 0 Lady A :- That sounds like a plan
12 1 0 0 Birdseye :- How does Arkansas pronounce CONFUSING then?
12 1 0 0 Matt Black :- The Knockout Quiz welcomes Matt Black
12 0 0 1 Cometchaser :- Helpful point awarded by Icklejen
12 0 -1 0 Quizmaster :- For not mentioning the name of the state in the post
12 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- My kind of humour
12 0 1 0 Sharkshooter :- Every right to be worried
12 0 0 1 Icklejen :- Supporting a fellow competitor on the brink
12 1 0 0 Chicklegirl :- Iowa debt of gratitude to all of you for sharpening up my brain
12 1 0 0 Gwai :- I did have a girlfriend in Iowa once
12 0 1 0 Chelley :- I did indeed and here is your smart point
12 0 0 1 Davelarge :- For the map
12 0 0 1 Lady A :- For support of the name Murrumbidgee
12 1 0 0 Davelarge :- After looking at your link I want to meet Kirby
12 0 0 1 Gwai :- Going for the Brinkmanship award
12 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- For circumnavigating the globe
12 0 1 1 Sinisterial :- For selecting a palindrome and for the link
12 1 0 0 Lady A :- Clever move turning Wiki into Kiwi
12 1 1 1 Professor Kirke :- A perfect set for picking the place from where those rivers flow
12 0 1 0 Birdseye :- For finding an Australian river that has TOO MUCH water
12 1 0 0 Sharkshooter :- I like the idea of going for the shortest name
12 0 0 1 Autenrieth Road :- For getting Yellow Snow a Brinkmanship point
12 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- That has to be the most ludicrous measurement to date
12 -1 0 0 Icklejen :- Promoting Chelsea will see you bottom of originality
12 1 0 0 Papa Smurf :- A very neat aside there Host
12 1 0 0 Chorister :- For getting a spaced out view
12 0 -1 0 Doublethink :- I would have left it but I shall now dock you a brinkmanship point
12 1 0 0 The Rogue :- For travelling the scenic route

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

quote:
Originally posted by davelarge:
Quizmaster, please, please, please can I resign my entry and have Jen reinstated in my place?

I have called for representations on the Knockout Quiz Board so that the competitors themselves may decide whether or not to acquiesce.

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

13 1 0 0 Tom Day :- For paleodrainages
13 1 -1 0 Icklejen :- For self doubt and a novel spelling of that "bad feeling" word
13 1 0 0 Doublethink :- I think that says it all
13 1 0 0 Chelley :- I used to love those films (and the TV series)
13 1 1 0 Ann :- A singularity (and my nickname was Terry Scott at one time)
13 0 -1 0 Chorister :- For missing the picture
13 0 1 0 Doublethink :- Good move DT
13 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- If I start a charity it will be for Northern Hairy-nosed Wombats
13 0 1 0 Chelley :- That saves me worrying about how to mark your earlier effort
13 0 -1 0 Chicklegirl :- Missing the picture
13 1 1 0 The Rogue :- An excellent choice and a wise move to leave the picture out
13 0 0 1 Autenrieth Road :- For helping a fellow competitor
13 0 -1 0 Chicklegirl :- Use two links if needed, the SMART ALECS only need one
13 0 1 0 The Rogue :- That will be the case for the prosecution
13 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- Well done, have a SMART point
13 1 1 0 Sinisterial :- Original and Smart with justification attached. Excellent Post.
13 1 0 0 Yellow Snow :- I want a Wollemi Pine. Will anybody buy me a seed?
13 1 0 1 Lady A :- Bringing personal experience into the links in an entry
13 0 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- And with the case for the defense prepared, I can judge!
13 0 0 1 Chicklegirl :- For backing her legal representative to the hilt
13 0 0 0 Davelarge :- I had to give you a mention for listing Mint Sauce with Sheep
13 0 0 -1 Papa Smurf :- For trying to keep everything INSIDE the box
13 0 -1 0 Cometchaser :- For chickening out of the Brinking best option
13 1 1 0 Cometchaser :- By the time I had finished your post I changed my mind
13 0 0 0 Birdseye :- Plus one for correction, minus one for caring about 6 birds
13 0 0 1 Golden Key :- For audible support of the fish concerned
13 1 1 1 Sinisterial :- I like this man and want him to represent me in any dispute
13 1 1 1 Birdseye :- Another audible guffaw you got. I understand.
13 0 0 1 LMC :- A good question. I would like some answers in picture form.
13 0 0 -1 The Rogue :- Not your fault I know but I HATE EBAY
13 0 0 0 Sharkshooter :- A single reference to the F word was the cause
13 1 0 0 Sharkshooter :- And once we have shot him . . . Oh, we already did that!
13 0 -1 -1 Davelarge :- Don’t get all pissy just coz someone wants clarification
13 0 1 0 Rugmaker :- I think the case for the prosecution is building nicely
13 1 1 1 Papa Smurf :- I shall consider that judgement as the case for the defense
13 0 0 1 Jedijudy :- Nice story Judy. It is strange how God rewards kindness.
13 1 -1 -1 Papa Smurf :- Er . . . . . No!
13 1 0 0 Davelarge :- Now that is far more likely
13 1 0 0 ACOL-ite :- I am sure that is the start of a whole new thread
13 1 0 0 Icklejen :- For the worst justification ever
13 0 -1 0 Gwai :- For posting a link that does not work
13 1 1 0 Quizmaster :- Too clever by half
13 0 0 1 The Rogue :- I think we need to know

--------------------

Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

P O S H

14 0 0 1 Davelarge :- That forced me to look and find Henrique Hilario
14 1 2 1 The Rogue :- Someone took advantage of the hint on the other site
14 -1 1 0 Icklejen :- Oh? So this link to Chelsea is deliberate then?
14 0 1 0 Rugasaw :- For continuing as an Also Ran
14 1 1 1 Doublethink :- Don’t take it too seriously. It all depends on my mood.
14 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- And you don’t get much faster than Formula 1
14 0 0 1 Gwai :- For the link
14 1 1 0 Davelarge :- For posting with opinion
14 1 1 0 Doublethink :- When in doubt remember "You never see a poor bookie"
14 0 1 0 Chicklegirl :- For rising to the challenge
14 1 1 1 The Rogue :- An excellent link if you trust ship type people
14 -1 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- For taking up Doublethink's idea
14 1 -1 0 Ann :- That looks to me too much like posting in Ecclesiantics
14 0 1 0 ACOL-ite :- How about Horse Racing next weekend? Post in the other place.
14 -1 0 1 Chicklegirl :- Post up a link to a World Series site in the other place then
14 1 0 0 Lady A :- Very confident presentation (and two out of the top three)
14 -1 1 0 Cometchaser :- For being a natural flirt
14 1 0 0 Autenrieth Road :- Have Faith. Postive faith not negative faith but faith.
14 1 0 1 Jedijudy :- For confirming that chocolate was invented for women
14 0 1 0 Sinistrial :- Determined to win the Brinkmanship award
14 0 -2 0 Davelarge :- Because Renault finished first and third
14 0 1 0 Quizmaster :- It saved you a lot of working out but may have started a row
14 0 0 1 Golden Key :- Going one better in the brinkmanship award
14 1 1 0 Cometchaser :- For the detailed analysis, and for identifying a good job
14 0 0 1 Papa Smurf :- Keeping the competitors up to date with the news
14 0 0 1 Papa Smurf :- Additional hint to the competitors on how to improve chances
14 0 1 0 Birdseye :- Two out of the top three and the rain came in qualifying
14 0 0 1 Papa Smurf :- I would have assumed Michael but better to make sure
14 0 1 0 The Rogue :- A good analysis and I gave Golden Key top marks
14 1 0 0 Chorister :- The hat ensured that your entry is valid
14 0 0 0 Papa Smurf :- I am sure what you mean there is Nool Pwann!
14 0 1 0 Gwai :- Quite right. Get in early and stick to your guns
14 0 1 0 Cometchaser :- That is the phrase I needed someone to construct
14 0 0 0 Papa Smurf :- I think he has just accepted the fact
14 -1 1 0 Autenrieth Road :- Negative originality point for thinking of it second
14 0 0 1 ACOL-ite :- For thanking Papa Smurf and explaining the strategy
14 0 1 0 Gwai :- You seem to be doing alright at the moment
14 1 0 0 LMC :- For requesting a girly round. Perfume? Crochet? Netball?
14 1 1 1 Autenrieth Road :- I have added "Lipstick Colours" to my list of possibilities
14 0 1 0 Golden Key :- Better safe than hanging on the brink
14 1 0 0 Gwai :- Memo to self: Forget that idea about the lipstick round
14 0 1 0 Jedijudy :- I remember it well Judy. The quest for the girly round.
14 1 0 0 Gwai :- This is the fifth version of the quiz. It all started back in 2001.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THE RESULT:

1. Fernando Alonso
2. Felipe Massa
3. Giancarlo Fisichella
4. Jenson Button
5. Kimi Raikkonen
6. Jarno Trulli

Nobody got all six correct, and as To Be Decided failed to post he/she is eliminated at this stage.

Bet you a bar of chocolate, you are glad you didn't have to score this round!

quote:
Success will depend on (in order):
1. Number of Correct Drivers in Correct Place
2. Naming the winner somewhere in selection
3. Naming second placed somewhere in selection
etc.

[In fact, there is a round for you QM. Everyone sends you a block of local chocolate; the last eaten loses.]

[ 08. October 2006, 19:12: Message edited by: Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quizmaster

I do not appear on any of the last three lists; it is possible this is richly deserved but I've had fun with spreadsheets myself ....

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the last three pages, you have quietly and calmly and appropriately answered the questions posed.

That may be the problem [Big Grin] .

But at least you should get a helpfulness point for not bloating the quiz; you can have the one deducted from me for this post.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
as i said on the other board...

ij = payrise

payrise = chelsea tickets

chelsea tickets = ij away a lot

ij away a lot = ij can't be in quiz

ij away a lot = davelarge needing entertaining

dl needing entertaining = dl in the quiz

perfect! i concede. i've enjoyed it immensly despite not understanding a word of it!

oh, and some clues to my code.

1) what topic do you think the sentence might be on??
2) there's 2 sentences muddled, the easier one is a clue to the second.
3) in the second code, there's no 9c!

ij x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
Looking at the last three pages, you have quietly and calmly and appropriately answered the questions posed.

That may be the problem [Big Grin] .

[Cool]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
I just reverified clicking on my links and they work from here. Would someone else tell me if they do or don't work?

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! I actually got 3 of the 6 in their right positions while sick with a cold. Darn, I feel all better now. I hope the next round is as easily figured out without drugs!
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:
I just reverified clicking on my links and they work from here. Would someone else tell me if they do or don't work?
The data link works for me but the photo link doesn't. However here is a link to some leafy sea dragons and a somewhat disturbed diver.
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, I made a mess of setting my code many pages ago. (Hey, even Ferrari engines fail sometime, as some of now know almost to your cost!) Here is the correct version:

This is a long story about a short vicar. And I mean short! Short, short, short, short!

He longed for the day when he might be longer.

Of course, he was so short he had his house specially adapted to suit him. He had short cupboards in the kitchen, short tables and chairs, short doorways and short stairs. But when he had to go upstairs, it seemed an awfully long way to go. How he longed for a lift to carry his short body all the way upstairs.

One day the doorbell went in a short burst. The vicar gave a long sigh. Door to door salesmen were a regular feature of his area, and he got fed up with giving them short shrift.

He walked down the short hallway on his short legs to his short front door. When he opened the door, he instinctively looked up, but saw only blue sky. So he looked ahead and was astonished to see that the caller was as short as himself.

The caller gave a short introduction.

“Hi, I’m Jimmy Buyone from the Acme Pharmaceutical Company. If you’re short, I have just the product for you.”

The vicar grew excited. Perhaps this was the day he had spent all his life longing for.

The short caller went on. “Do you long to look others in the eye? Are you short-tempered about your shortness? Are you more short than long ? In short, do you long for an end to your shortness? Do you long for the day when you are thought long rather than a shorty? In short, this miracle cure can make you happy for a long time. This is what you are longing for!”

The short vicar jumped in excitement. He gave a short hop for joy.

“I’ll take 6 bottles” he cried, handing over his money.

“I’ll have your change shortly” replied the caller. “I haven’t met anyone like you for a long time.”

“Of course I’m excited” said the vicar. “My days of shortness are finally at an end!”

But what was the mystery medicine?

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have absolutely no idea, but for some reason reading this has got me singing to myself... "We'll drink-a drink-a drink to Lily [Lilley?] the pink-the-pink-the-pink, the saviour of the human ra-a-ace. For he invented, medicinal compound..."
If I can't get the song out of my head soon you may find yourself a subject in TICTH Rugmaker! [Snigger]

[ 09. October 2006, 10:01: Message edited by: Chelley ]

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rugmaker
Shipmate
# 10728

- Posted      Profile for Rugmaker   Email Rugmaker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
If I can't get the song out of my head soon you may find yourself a subject in TICTH Rugmaker! [Snigger]

Oh how exciting! I've never been called to hell, and being a subject in TICTH sounds like a nice way of testing the water - sort of Hell-lite!

--------------------
Waiting to think of something witty to put here.

Posts: 1319 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rugmaker:
sort of Hell-lite!

[Killing me]

ETA... Oh dear, I am just printing out the first load of pages of the quiz so I can have a go at all the codes... hint of obsession! [Roll Eyes]

[ 09. October 2006, 10:09: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A longevity potion?

Why are we answering this puzzle at all - is it an between-rounds interval entertainment or something?

I expect the solution will appear shortly.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

I thought that the codes were going to run on throughout the quiz... hence the PM's to the code creator and QM if we crack[ed] them (rather than outing the solutions on the thread)?

[ 09. October 2006, 10:36: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Oops Lilly is a 'she'!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yuss indeedy -Mrs Lydia Estes Pinkham . According to this it cured bloating, headaches, nervous prostration, general debility, sleeplessness, depression and indigestion.
And with alcohol at 20% proof, it got you tremendously drunk.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:
The data link works for me but the photo link doesn't. However here is a link to some leafy sea dragons and a somewhat disturbed diver.
I think the link must be up and down then. When I read this post last night the link worked for me again. However, just now whle about to post I clicked my link again and now it doesn't.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Rod Serling voice.)

Presented for your consideration: Useful, amusing, and/or amazing sites to keep you out of trouble until the next round.

Bartleby: Great books online.

Sightings of the number 42--Deep Thought site.

Coast to Coast AM radio show and news. (AKA the Art Bell show.)
A walk on the wild side!

Creativity Portal.

The signpost up ahead reads "The Quizmaster Zone".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

Round Eight: Cartoon Characters

You have to post a URL (link) to a page with an image of a cartoon character. You may post another link (if needed) to a site which specifies how many appearances that character made in total.

The person to be eliminated this time will be the person closest to the average (mean) number of appearances when all the nominations have been made.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite cartoon character is Hong Kong Phooey . According to this website there were only 16 original episodes. [Big Grin]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Virgin Mary, Leonardo da Vinci.

Number of extant da Vinci cartoons of her to follow ..

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

I'm sure this will come as no surprise, but my pick for this round is the Roadrunner, who appeared with his co-star Wile E. Coyote in thirty short features, as well as a couple of cartoon specials with a cast of other characters.

--------------------
~ Henry David Thoreau

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Ah Quizzy, now you're talking my language!

Roll intro...

The best cartoon ever. 36 episodes total over 3 seasons of the animated feature. apparently there was a live action series too. [Disappointed] I'm not convinced that was such a good idea.

SPOON!

a few favorite frames from the comic book...

His sidekicks are Arthur the Moth, the Little Wooden Boy, and of course,

Speak! The Furry, Moist Avenger. Speak is the Tick's pet capybara. Speak, who is my official choice for this round, appeared in 5 episodes.

Sidekicks Don't Kiss
The Tick vs. Arthur
The Tick vs. Europe
The Tick vs. Prehistory, and
The Tick vs. Education

Speak's homage ... warning... has music.

The Tick: television hasn't been the same since...

Comet

[ 09. October 2006, 23:05: Message edited by: cometchaser ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Number of extant da Vinci cartoons of her to follow ..

Working on this, but according to the museum in his home town he painted at least five paintings featuring the BVM; two versions of the virgin of the rocks, the adoration of the magi, the annunciation and Madonna and Child with St Anne, so consequently he is likely to have done at least 5 cartoons for them.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

wanted to add a favorite Tickism:
quote:
Last night I almost had a lucid moment

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016